India-US Relations : News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Relations : News and Discussion

Post by member_22733 »

American co-development would be:

"Hey guys, here is the engine, the control surfaces, and electronics, the CPU and the compiler. Write code on how you want the missile to behave. "

You see, you really dont need to know anything about the engine, we got that covered. You dont need anyone working on such things.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

LokeshC wrote:American co-development would be:

"Hey guys, here is the engine, the control surfaces, and electronics, the CPU and the compiler. Write code on how you want the missile to behave. "

You see, you really dont need to know anything about the engine, we got that covered. You dont need anyone working on such things.
Perhaps true. In similar vein, Russia: "It works, trust us, just translate the manuals." You brown monkeyz just get a screwdriwer!

France: Everything is a la carte: " Airframe, engine, those dialz and ze radarz. My name is Count de Monnaie.

Just see what the Turks have been able to accomplish in such an environment.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

^^^ Not a fan of Russia or France either. TO a large extent this is a demand supply game. ToT and co-development is just a sales pitch. Once you are committed to their platforms, they can give you the drill bits to put the screws into the products.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

US Dept. of State press briefing Dec 5, excerpt:
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2014/12/234712.htm
QUESTION: Okay. Two questions. The first one is about a terrorist attack from across the border where 11 security forces, including a lieutenant colonel has been killed just two days ahead of Indian prime minister’s visit. And as we know, the Indian prime minister’s party and he himself is very hawkish and no-nonsense kind. So this is going to erupt into some tensions, something. What is the U.S. –

MS. HARF: Are you talking about the attack in Kashmir?

QUESTION: Yes.

MS. HARF: So obviously we’re concerned about any violence in Kashmir. Our policy on Kashmir hasn’t changed. We still believe that the pace and the scope and character of India and Pakistan’s dialogue on Kashmir is for those two countries to determine, of course. Our embassies in both places have raised these types of incidents with their respective host governments and certainly encouraged both to continue working together on the issue.

QUESTION: Knowing the Pakistani army’s alleged hand behind – or the blessings on this terrorist, the Pakistani army chief was here and met the Secretary, and then he goes back and this happens. So what message the Secretary gave him?

MS. HARF: Well, I think that you’re conflating a couple of things. Obviously, we know the Secretary and the army chief of staff had a very productive discussion on Sunday on a range of security-related issues, and again, we’re concerned about any violence in Kashmir, and I wouldn’t jump to conclusions here. But we have encouraged both countries to work together on this.

QUESTION: When you say jumping to – you wouldn’t jump to conclusions, you mean about who might be behind this attack?

MS. HARF: Mm-hmm.

QUESTION: Is that – because you sound --

MS. HARF: Yeah.

QUESTION: It sounded like you were accepting the premise of the question, that it was --

MS. HARF: No, I was saying – I actually was trying not to accept the premise of the question. Thank you.

QUESTION: All right. You don’t know, in other words, if --

MS. HARF: Correct.

QUESTION: -- there was any Pakistani involvement?

MS. HARF: I wouldn’t assume anything.

QUESTION: And the other one is the Russian President Putin is arriving in Delhi on 10th, and what we know that there going to be a lot of trade agreements on oil and gas, but also a nuclear site. So what is the – what are you doing about the U.S.-India nuclear deal --

MS. HARF: Well –

QUESTION: -- which has been hibernating in a way?

MS. HARF: A couple of points on that. First, let’s wait and see what comes from the visit. I know there’s a lot of rumors, often of trade deals or economic deals, but let’s see what’s actually put into practice here. What we’ve – and as we’ve said before, now is not the time for business as usual with Russia. We’ve conveyed this certainly to our allies and to our partners across the world.

Regarding U.S.-India civil nuclear cooperation, during Prime Minister Modi’s visit to the United States, both sides renewed their commitments to fully implement the U.S.-India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Agreement, to find a way forward to allow U.S.-origin reactors to eventually be built in India. The two leaders also agreed in their joint statement to establish a contact group for advancing the implementation of civil nuclear energy cooperation, which will address administrative issues, liability, technical issues, licensing, and other topics as required. So there’s a path forward here for this to keep moving.

QUESTION: When you say that it’s not time to have – to deal with Russia, normally, like because of what’s going on in Ukraine and other parts of the world. And so – and next month President Obama is going to visit. So is it casting a shadow on that visit with --

MS. HARF: It’s not, not at all. And I was saying, broadly speaking, that’s our position on doing business with Russia. But again, India is a very, very close partner. Let’s see what comes out of the actual visit, but we’re confident things will continue as they --

QUESTION: And India has been a very close partner of the USSR before, and now Russia.

MS. HARF: Well, it’s possible to have good relationships with multiple countries even when we disagree on things. But again, it’s not, to my knowledge, impacting any visits one way or the other.

QUESTION: Thanks.
QUESTION: Is it – like, when it was – we are dealing with Iran and we are putting this sanction up, and India deals with Iran, trade and everything in different ways, and we turn a blind eye to that. And now the Russians are going there and they --

MS. HARF: Well, we certainly don’t turn a blind eye to any action that could be sanctionable when it comes to sanctions on any country. That’s certainly not true. We, in fact, have very vigorous sanctions enforcement and work very closely with our partners to ensure they can meet their obligations under international sanctions architectures.

QUESTION: So the U.S. is watching what comes out of the Putin visit (inaudible)?

MS. HARF: Well, I think it’s fair to say that we watch a lot of things that go along – or go on around the world. I wouldn’t express a large amount of concern, though.

QUESTION: Okay.
QUESTION: More on the – you must have seen the reports about the Indian Government’s announcement that the U.S. – a lot of citizens from a lot of countries, including the U.S., will get visa on arrival. I think it’s a 30-day visa on arrival. Will there be anything from the U.S. side for business people visiting or anything? Are you planning anything to --

MS. HARF: Let me check.

QUESTION: Okay.

MS. HARF: Let me check. I don’t know the answer.

QUESTION: And the second – the second thing is about this continued – about the very highly trained spouses of H-1B visa people who are not given the permit to work. Is there any update on that?

MS. HARF: Let me check. I’ll take both of those and see.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Instead of listening to ms. Harf I would rather spend my time watching SNL. A little more mirth and a little less exasperation, you see.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

matrimc wrote:Sagar g not so fast pride goes before the fall as they say.
So true, as can be seen by how Americans are fawning about starting "co-development" projects with India. Truly the fall has been magnanimous :lol:
pandyan wrote:+1

SDREs strength and pride is keep the heads down and focus on what needs to be achieved and accomplished...no need to gloat. at current tech and manufacturing levels...desh cannot even protect itself without foreign government support for spares, equipments and refills.
:rotfl:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The attack is a precursor to Putin visit.
Looks like US outsourced the warning mechanism to TSP.

SD doesn't even hide its messages!
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

They want the sanctions on Russia to hold.
India Russia trade agreements will be checked to see if the sanctions still hold.
India will continue to increase the trade with Russia. India has to increase its trade with Russia to $50B to get a leverage when Russia is going to engage Pakistan.

The entire global US hold on sanctions and trade will fall apart if the sanctions on Russia dont hold.

http://watchingamerica.com/WA/2014/12/0 ... can-elite/
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

http://qz.com/307691/the-protests-over- ... new-delhi/

America’s police brutality protests have now reached New Delhi
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

devesh wrote:http://qz.com/307691/the-protests-over- ... new-delhi/

Finally, JNU is realizing that they are supposed to be our useful idiot :)
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

While that is heartening to hear, JNU is no way another Berkeley as somebody said in another thread. Of all the Indian educational institutions, only IISc has the stature, the lineage, and the chops to go head to head with the likes of Berkeley. Some of the older IITs are getting there slowly but surely. We need more institution building and beefing up the intellectual sphere, may it be hard sciences or humanities and in-between disciplines like Pshych., Economics. In fact, the US has several useful idiots in HAvaD (humnaities), yoopehenn (again their CASI), Columbia (core curriculum), UChicago divinity, and other assorted CISs as their useful idiots.
devesh
BRF Oldie

Post by devesh »

^^^
it is rare to see JNU-wallahs not hating India. on the one occasion that they do, you have to bring up Berkeley, "not up to standards", and other stuff.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ matrimc saar, that was me who mentioned JNU 'could be' our Berkeley, by which I meant that they could play the role of the useful idiot for India. Much like how Berkeley does for Foggy bottom, in spite of its apparent 'strengths' in the areas you mentioned.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

arshyam garu: good observation.

devesh garu: My objection is specifically about JNU filling that role.

More here
gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

Revealed: Henry Kissinger’s role in Bhopal gas deal

http://www.dailypioneer.com/nation/reve ... -deal.html
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

matrimc wrote:While that is heartening to hear, JNU is no way another Berkeley as somebody said in another thread. Of all the Indian educational institutions, only IISc has the stature, the lineage, and the chops to go head to head with the likes of Berkeley. Some of the older IITs are getting there slowly but surely. We need more institution building and beefing up the intellectual sphere, may it be hard sciences or humanities and in-between disciplines like Pshych., Economics. In fact, the US has several useful idiots in HAvaD (humnaities), yoopehenn (again their CASI), Columbia (core curriculum), UChicago divinity, and other assorted CISs as their useful idiots.
Did the spade work in 2008-2009 for US Universities setting up in India during that idiot Kapil Sibal's tenure as MoE ("Bring Stanfords, Harvards and Yales" to India).

Lessons learned:

1. Indian students in India want an Ivy League/Tier One degree for Rs 1,000/year
2. There is absolute dearth of Indian professors and teachings assistants
3. Importing American professors (including NRIs) caused 'anguish' among Indian professors because the former would be paid at expatriate level. So mini 'dharnas' took place and the idea was shelved
4. Indian donors would not give to Indian Universities because there was no accountability and even the mere mention of an endowment set off more 'dharnas' so that was shelved
5. Just the mention of the difficulties set off 'dharnas' among various parties because higher education was a right not an entitlement at throwaway prices.
6. A NYU-India/Georgia Tech India degree is not the same as a NYU/GATech degree in the US.

The whole project was shelved. Ratan Tata gave money to Cornell and Harvard.

There is no fix for higher Ed in India. Best to focus on primary/secondary and community colleges specializing in trade skills. Only 7% of Indian students in high school make to 'college'. Compared to ~66% in the US (2 or 4 year not for profits).

Even considered suggesting that foreign universities set up in Sri Lanka to cater to Indian students. It was easier than trying to get it done in India.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Cosmo_R ji: I think we are going a little OT here. But only 25% of US highschool grads earn a 4 year degree. most places 6 year graduation rates (for a four year degree) could be as low as 67% or so. For STEM my guess is that the graduation rates are much lower.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 09 Dec 2014 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

New Yorker gets 33 months for threatening Hawaii congresswoman
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A New York man was sentenced on Monday to 33 months in prison for threatening Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, federal prosecutors said.

Aniruddha Sherbow, 44, whose last known address was in Poughkeepsie, New York, was sentenced in U.S. District Court. He pleaded no contest in February to two charges of transmitting threats, the U.S. Attorney's Office said in a statement.

Under a so-called "nolo contendere" plea, a defendant is convicted of the offense and agrees he could be proved guilty, but does not admit to the facts of the case.

Sherbow had been harassing Gabbard, a Democrat, since about February 2011, including making threats via email and telephone, prosecutors said. He was charged with two threats made in August 2013, one of them a voicemail message in which he threatened to kill her.

Mexican police arrested Sherbow in August 2013 on a U.S. warrant and transferred him to U.S. custody.

As part of the sentence, Sherbow will have three years of supervised release after his prison term. During that period he is barred from contact with Gabbard.

He also must reimburse the U.S. government $538,282 for security expenses and undergo a mental health evaluation and treatment, if necessary, the prosecutors' statement said.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Cosmo_R wrote:
matrimc wrote:While that is heartening to hear, JNU is no way another Berkeley as somebody said in another thread. Of all the Indian educational institutions, only IISc has the stature, the lineage, and the chops to go head to head with the likes of Berkeley. Some of the older IITs are getting there slowly but surely. We need more institution building and beefing up the intellectual sphere, may it be hard sciences or humanities and in-between disciplines like Pshych., Economics. In fact, the US has several useful idiots in HAvaD (humnaities), yoopehenn (again their CASI), Columbia (core curriculum), UChicago divinity, and other assorted CISs as their useful idiots.
Did the spade work in 2008-2009 for US Universities setting up in India during that idiot Kapil Sibal's tenure as MoE ("Bring Stanfords, Harvards and Yales" to India).

Lessons learned:

1. Indian students in India want an Ivy League/Tier One degree for Rs 1,000/year
2. There is absolute dearth of Indian professors and teachings assistants
3. Importing American professors (including NRIs) caused 'anguish' among Indian professors because the former would be paid at expatriate level. So mini 'dharnas' took place and the idea was shelved
4. Indian donors would not give to Indian Universities because there was no accountability and even the mere mention of an endowment set off more 'dharnas' so that was shelved
5. Just the mention of the difficulties set off 'dharnas' among various parties because higher education was a right not an entitlement at throwaway prices.
6. A NYU-India/Georgia Tech India degree is not the same as a NYU/GATech degree in the US.

The whole project was shelved. Ratan Tata gave money to Cornell and Harvard.

There is no fix for higher Ed in India. Best to focus on primary/secondary and community colleges specializing in trade skills. Only 7% of Indian students in high school make to 'college'. Compared to ~66% in the US (2 or 4 year not for profits).

Even considered suggesting that foreign universities set up in Sri Lanka to cater to Indian students. It was easier than trying to get it done in India.
Fix is that Amity and LovelyProfessional University , will, over due course of time, be as good as their private, western counterparts.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Cosmo_R ji: I think we are going a little OT here. But only 25% of US highschool grads earn a 4 year degree. most places 6 year graduation rates (for a four year degree) could be as low as 67% or so. For STEM my guess is that the graduation rates are much lower.
Have you seen the standards of the universities in USA? I am myself working in a large public university (60,000 students, 35,000 graduate and 25,000 under graduate) where the policy changed 4 years ago was to reduce number of students to increase quality. Now only top 10% of the graduating school kids are allowed to fill in the application and only 2% of these are accepted. We also get kids from IIT and other colleges in India (during summer internship only) and most universities academic standards in USA (Math and Science) are same or better than IITs (top in India).

In India., The problem is Students at High School level study hard to get to the top colleges and then in colleges standards go down the drain with student unions affiliated to various political parties doing Dharnas and Strikes. There are also student unions/groups here in USA (Republican, Democrat, Independent, Muslims, Hindus, etc) but they know that first priority is academics and thus these social activities are limited to Weekends only (or holidays or summer).

In order to fix the high education

1. Increase the salaries of teachers/professors to be same as around the world.
2. Invest more money in Research (get private sector involved)., almost 20-30% of the professors should only do research with their dedicated small group of students.
3. Limit or stop the party politics at university/college level (or organize it in a better way so that academics is not hurt).
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Karan Dixit wrote:
devesh wrote:http://qz.com/307691/the-protests-over- ... new-delhi/

Finally, JNU is realizing that they are supposed to be our useful idiot :)

Really?
“We see the connections between the criminalization of black and brown bodies in the United States and the criminalization of Muslim, Dalit, and Adivasi bodies in India,” the Facebook page said.
....said Meghna Chandra, a history student at JNU, who is one of the organisers of the protest.
Chandra is an Indian-born American who graduated from University of Pennsylvania and has been living in India for a year now.
Afro-Dalit project is going mainstream in India. Shouldn't Home ministry stop this?
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

at first there were white and black bodies in JNU fomenting dissent using JNU resources and directed towards India & it's fledgling democracy, now they are increasingly replaced by brown bodies doing job for their white & anglo paymasters. Apparently brown bodies can do or say anything for a foreign trip and are being increasingly found to be loose tongued and speaking without conviction.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

matrimc wrote:Cosmo_R ji: I think we are going a little OT here. But only 25% of US highschool grads earn a 4 year degree. most places 6 year graduation rates (for a four year degree) could be as low as 67% or so. For STEM my guess is that the graduation rates are much lower.
Sorry, but the stats are right there from the US dept of Education. 2/3rds of all US High School graduates go on to college:

https://www.google.com/search?q=percent ... channel=sb

Graduation rates once in college are different. 15% for University of Phoenix and for profits. 55% for all non profit colleges and 71% for tier 1 colleges.

Strong correlation between tier 1s and 4-year graduations.

But the point is not graduation rates. It's how many actually get into 2-4 year colleges after they graduate High School. In the US it is 65%. In India it is 7%.

IOW, in India, it it is a question of high school graduation rates that convert into college acceptance.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

FYI:
Twitter:

Christine Fair @CChristineFair · Dec 7

This is very, very disappointing @marieharf. Is this 1993? US brushes aside assumptions linking Pak2 Kashmir violence http://www.dawn.com/news/1149183
0 replies 15 retweets 4 favorites

Christine Fair @CChristineFair · Dec 7
Finally, @marieharf, by carrying water for Pakistan, we encourage MORE terror. Not less. Appeasement has NO value. http://www.dawn.com/news/1149183
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Richard Verma has been confirmed by the senate to be the next US ambassador to India.
The very fact that Mr. Verma was confirmed by a voice vote in a bitterly divided senate with more than fifty ambassadorial nominations pending, signify the bi-partisan support to India-US relationship.
Richard Rahul Verma to be U.S. ambassador to India | The Chindu
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

I must say that US is much more open and transparent about it's relations with India than the other way around.

Both republicans and democrats support a strong relation with India. This is irrespective of how they fared in the last election.

In India however, both Congress and BJP want to build good relations with US --when in power-- and take pot shots at the party in power for succumbing to US pressure when in opposition.

Indian politicians lack courage to stand up for what they do when in power.

(I've generalized and of course there are exceptions.)
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I must say that US is much more open and transparent about it's relations with India than the other way around.
Just an observation (don't shoot, pls!!) :shock:

The same can be said of the US-Botswana relationship. Can't think of anyone in either party (Gaddha ya Haathi) who doesn't want the US to have a wonderful relationship with Botswana. Most politicians in Botswana would hesitate to be labeled as a US stooge. And I can't think of 3 COTUS-ppl who give a pakistan about Botswana, nor 100 who can point to it on a map - Ah cyaint, ah'm shore.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

UB ji: I take it then that you haven't read any of the books in the wonderful series called No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. Please give it a try - you would want to visit the country and the continent where it is located.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Cosmo_R ji: Getting into a college is irrelevant. What matters is whether one graduates. But we digress. Last from me unless you choose an appropriate thread to continue.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 11 Dec 2014 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

CIA-- torture chamber tactics under fire.
The limo nail-bomb, the Heathrow hijack and the transatlantic shoebomber: The three British plots the CIA wrongly cited to justify torture

http://www.independent.co.uk/?CMP=ILC-refresh
CIA wrongfully asserted that terror plots had been foiled because of the interrogation programme – while, in fact, success was far more likely to have been down to British law enforcement

CIA torture report: So when will Britain come clean about its role?
Latest: UN calls for charges against US officials involved in torture
CIA tortured suspects at secret overseas sites for years, achieved nothing from it, and lied about it
11 ways in which the CIA was worse than it ever admitted
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

PhilipJi, are you really taking this BS report seriously? To me, we will never know the truth of crimes against humanity committed by US/UK (and other western lackeys) post 9/11 against Muslims. Couple that with the gang rape of Iraq, the indiscriminate bombing of Afghan civilians, the indirect sponsorship of terror against India through military funding of its TSP munnas and providing them diplomatic cover for every terror attack Pakis unleashed against India, it will boggle the mind.

US revealing this report BS reminds of the tactic I used to use to fool my dad during summer vacations while growing up. When he would leave for office after lunch, give me a lots math/reading and warn me not to waste time chit-chatting with my buddies and playing cricket all day. I would do all that anyway, and when he comes back in the evening, I would own up to a small transgression to score some brownie points, and also to prevent him from probing further.

This BS report is exactly that. Now it will become a dems Vs reps tamasha next several days, and it will die a natural death.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Paleet Bharara got slapped by higher court in inside trading case. The conviction got overturned.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Link, pls?
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

VinodTK wrote: Aniruddha Sherbow, 44, whose last known address was in Poughkeepsie, New York, was sentenced in U.S. District Court. He pleaded no contest in February to two charges of transmitting threats, the U.S. Attorney's Office said in a statement.
He is a white nutcase linked to the Hare Krishna folks in HI.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

UlanBatori wrote:Link, pls?
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/12/10/ ... ions/?_r=0
Appeals Court Deals a Setback to U.S. Crackdown on Insider Trading
n a 28-page decision, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in Manhattan overturned two of the government’s signature convictions, the case against the former hedge fund traders Todd Newman and Anthony Chiasson, who were tried together. Citing the trial judge’s “erroneous” instructions to jurors, the court not only reversed the convictions but threw out the case altogether.The unanimous decision by a three-judge panel — the first higher court rebuke of an insider trading case filed by Preet Bharara, the United States attorney in Manhattan — offers a blueprint for lawyers to defend future insider trading cases. It could also portend a partial unraveling of Mr. Bharara’s insider trading crackdown, a rare bright spot for the government as it came under attack for going soft on Wall Street after the financial crisis.The appellate ruling hinged on a 30-year-old United States Supreme Court case, Dirks v. S.E.C., that has long been the cornerstone of insider trading law. Clarifying the vagaries of that ruling, the appellate decision drew a new and more defined line that curtails the boundaries of insider trading liability.
The appellate court faulted the judge who had presided over Mr. Chiasson and Mr. Newman’s trial, saying that he had misinterpreted the Supreme Court case and set too low a bar for conviction when instructing jurors.“This decision will dramatically impact how the government investigates and charges traders, not only criminally but also civilly,” Andrew Michaelson, a lawyer with Boies Schiller & Flexner and a former prosecutor who worked on several insider trading cases, said.Mr. Bharara said in a statement that “today’s decision by the Court of Appeals interprets the securities laws in a way that will limit the ability to prosecute people who trade on leaked inside information.” He added that he was considering “options for further appellate review,” a nod to a possible Supreme Court appeal, a decision that would ultimately rest with the United States solicitor general.

Despite the setback on Wednesday, Mr. Bharara’s office has piled up a nearly undefeated record at trial. And most of the 85 convictions for insider trading will stand.Still, Mr. Bharara’s milestone insider trading convictions at least one milestone conviction appears to be imperiled: Michael Steinberg, of SAC Capital Advisors, the once-giant hedge fund that Mr. Bharara indicted last year. The judge who presided over Mr. Steinberg’s trial, Richard J. Sullivan, also handled the trial of Mr. Chiasson and Mr. Newman.The appellate court, in a footnote, implied that prosecutors steered Mr. Steinberg’s case to Judge Sullivan because he would be predisposed to give the same flawed jury instruction as he had done in the trial of Mr. Chiasson and Mr. Newman. In April, at a hearing on the appeal, the three-judge panel raised concerns about the courthouse practice that is known as judge shopping.The ruling challenged the very notion of what constitutes a benefit. In the past, prosecutors had argued that mere friendship is enough to prove that a tipper got a benefit from passing on an illegal tip to a friend. And in this case, the benefit was that the dell insider received career advice from a trader.
But the appellate court took issue with that low standard, saying the government must also show that the tipper expected to receive something “of some consequence.”Jonathan R. Streeter, a lawyer at Dechert who was one of the prosecutors under Mr. Bharara who secured the insider trading conviction of the Galleon Group co-founder Raj Rajaratnam, said the appellate ruling would complicate the prosecution of insider trading. “It used to be all the government had to do to prove a benefit was show the people involved were friends — and now they must show a tangible benefit, and that’s a big change.”When the appeals court first signaled its skepticism about the case at oral arguments in April, prosecutors feared that a ruling could effectively legalize Wall Street’s edge in trading. The ruling, prosecutors argued, would encourage higher-ranking traders to distance themselves from insider leaks, even when reaping big profits from the tips.But in slamming the “doctrinal novelty” of recent insider trading prosecutions, the appeals court argued that “the government has not cited, nor have we found, a single case in which tippees as remote as Newman and Chiasson have been held criminally liable for insider trading.”
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

This looks like a case of Ferguson 'Justice': suddenly it is
WHAT! That law wasn't meant to punish ppl of Proper Cultural Background!
Were these two really so innocent?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Speaking of Bleat Phalala, what do u make of this? How can students be on T vijas? Note that the advice came from the Intel ppl.
Somehow I don't buy the Revenge CT.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

How do you get a T Visa unless you claim you are the victims of human trafficking?
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

"Somehow I don't buy the Revenge CT."
UB Thalaivare, It is not any revenge except in the minds of cretins who call themselves journalists at rediff.com.
After ill-treatment and working in prison like conditions, more than 500 workers walked away from the company in 2006 and organised protests attracting international attention.

They presented themselves as victims of human trafficking before the Department of Justice. They also filed a class action suit against the company, their recruiters, both in the US and India. “The case is still going on. There were some moves for settling the case out of the court, which did not succeed,” Vijayn said.
and
Mumbai-based recruiter Dewan Consultants Pvt. Ltd also promised green cards for them and their families, which was an attractive option for many.
So what we have here is:
1) Indians on Indian passport go to work in a foreign country X
2) Indians get ill treated on the job and are laid off

At this point you would expect said Indians to return to India, but no.

3) Indian go to the US and make a case for illegal human trafficking towards getting a green card -- these human traffickers are apparently the same ones paying lawyers for these Indians to get T visas in the US.
4) Indians move between India and the US freely on these T-visas, while actively working with the US govt. against the Indian govt. (I mean, they must have some fall guy in India as the human trafficker) -- the half-witted and criminal UPA regime did not see any problem in all this, as expected.
5) New guvmint at center sees the situation for what it is, an abuse of the Indian passport in order to obtain green card and citizenship of another country. Note that even green card holders cannot get their passports back for another three years, which effectively means that they cannot enter the US on their green card once they get their passports reissued from the US govt.

It is possible that the company which got them the green cards is not the same one that screwed them over in country X, but in that case, who was paying for the lawyer bills for the T-vija holders in the USA? Competent immigration lawyers are not cheap.

No wonder the US can legitimately claim that the Indian govt. is legitimately aiding human trafficking with this kind of paper trail left behind by these Indian T-Vija holders. The T-Vija holders broke Indian laws when they falsely acquired T-visas from the US govt. on claims of human trafficking (while using these same human traffickers to pay their immigration lawyer bills)....obviously a scam that cannot be taken lightly unless you are one of those politicking morons who sees nothing wrong in all this, because your politics is more important than the rules in the rule book.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Talking of revenge, look at this. It will cost you a lot to give up your US citizenship!

Link

And I thought if you swear allegiance to another country, you automatically lose your citizenship!