BR Forum Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by arshyam »

Tried all that sir, including:
- flushing cache
- renewing IP connection
- re-registered IP connection
- added BRF to hosts file
- changed adapter to use public and Google's DNS
- rebooted modem and router

None of them worked.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

Flushing DNS cache may not help. I thought releasing and renewing IP could solve this issue. Since it is a last hop problem not much can be done from your side. Maybe the router along the way should update its tables with time.
Ranjani Brow

Post by Ranjani Brow »

I request Mod/Admins to delete my Forum Account.
Thanks.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Ranjani Brow wrote:I request Mod/Admins to delete my Forum Account.
Thanks.
Why was all this done ?
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

prasannasimha wrote:
Thanks.
Why was all this done ?
Not arguing with any bredators decision to change name. But it looks like hecky saar was pushed out.
And hecky saar plz give the mods an indic sounding name instead of 'Peter Pan' and stay. :)
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

SagarAg wrote:
Thanks.
Why was all this done ?
Not arguing with any bredators decision to change name. But it looks like hecky saar was pushed out.
And hecky saar plz give the mods an indic sounding name instead of 'Peter Pan' and stay. :)
I indeed second that - sort of hecky was heckled out :D .
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Sad to see how hecky was treated. Thats not good. Hope this policy of 'human sounding names' is not taken to extreme.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Aiight this is just making "raai ka pahaad" molehill or bhatever. Hecky saheb, let's get this over with. So I personally would discourage using characters names like Peter Pan because tomorrow someone will say I want to be Captain Hook, or Mickey Mouse. You see the trouble there?
Let's get a nice indic name, shall we? feel free to email me at arch.brf at geemale and we'll resolve this pronto.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

johneeG wrote:Sad to see how hecky was treated. Thats not good. Hope this policy of 'human sounding names' is not taken to extreme.
Also sad to see Sanku being banned as a result of the Micromax debate. I may have disagreed with his stance on a few other threads (most notably Modi vs Dynasty) - but have to say on Micromax his logic was razor-sharp.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

People generally don't get banned for their views on any specific topic (unless they are extreme and obvious like calling for genocide). Often users are given a long rope over several years and finally one day mod community looks back at the often illustrious record in light of recent challenges with the member and then takes the call.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Awwwww man!!! I hope hecky will be back soon. I an one of the ppl who made fun of him :(. Feel bad.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

johneeG wrote:Sad to see how hecky was treated. Thats not good. Hope this policy of 'human sounding names' is not taken to extreme.
When he was given the chance to choose a human sounding name he decided on something frivolous while repeatedly asking for his current name to remain unchanged. I don't know what was he expecting. He was not treated any different than other members here. And he chose to have his account deleted voluntarily.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Everyone's time comes to go sooner or later. Sometimes I think it would be better to simply have a Mil Forum and close out everything else. But that decision is Seetal's.
member_28797
BRFite

Post by member_28797 »

archan wrote:Aiight this is just making "raai ka pahaad" molehill or bhatever. Hecky saheb, let's get this over with. So I personally would discourage using characters names like Peter Pan because tomorrow someone will say I want to be Captain Hook, or Mickey Mouse. You see the trouble there?
Let's get a nice indic name, shall we? feel free to email me at arch.brf at geemale and we'll resolve this pronto.
Can I be ChaCha Chaudhary :D Indic and proud :)
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

Mods, would it be okay to start a new "Collection of Good Posts - Military Issues & History Forum Only" thread in the GDF or the Mil forum itself? There are some excellent posts in there, but they tend get lost in the mostly philosophical and political stuff that gets posted in the existing thread.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

by all means janab.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Patrika appears to be advertising their paper in the forum and they are posting in Hindi. At least they should post a gist in English.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

has been conveyed to him/her already. please report any further violations.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

Shouldn't there be a (new) thread which tackles policies that involve Science and Activism? There is a thread for GMO. But there are other areas like climate change, peak oil nuclear energy etc. All of this would affect GoI policies
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

There is already a GMO thread
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

Yes, but that covers only GMO. That scope of that thread could be changed to include other cases mentioned or a new thread can be created. hence the question.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

There are separate threads about various subjects. Please use existing threads rather than leave them stagnant. Titles can be changed if they take on a broader topic.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Marten: Please reconsider. It is always a pleasure to read your posts.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^Second that. Marten mian why resort to extreme measures? Just stick to Nukkad, L&M and Gizmo threads for a while and BRF will remain fun.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

Marten Saar, the forum would be an echo chamber if tbere are no contrarian views.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Folks, please post the "please don't leave" posts in nukkad or OT thread. I will wait maybe another few hours before deleting the user's account.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

Has the backup time changed or some DDOS ?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

When you get a request to delete a user with thousands of posts, this is the dilemma. I know that it will break the forum for a few minutes and there is no good time to do it. Either it is daytime in India or elsewhere.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

Oh ok, got it. Thanks
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

archan and other Forum Moderators:

I kindly ask that you please delete all of my posts and also please delete my Mort Walker account. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

[Self-IEDed]
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Oh maaan, another 4000+ post-deletion? we should make a policy here that whatever you post becomes content of BRF forever. So post at your risk.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

archanji,

I humbly ask you to please do this for me. Please delete my posts and my account. It is better I not antagonize anyone, lest my posts be deemed hurtful. Thank you.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

archan, BRF can't be responsible for invididuals opinon. so, BRF can't take ownership of the content. if you change that policy, then BRF is legally liable to invidiual's posts.

OTOH, BRF should make a "no-deletion" policy so that none will ask for it. there are certain wrong precedents created, and now breapers face the heat. perhaps, creating another dark corner like GDF or inner GDF and archiving all posts there is one option. but, the owners of BRF should take that decision.

IMHO, deletion should happen only if it directly contradicts with policies that is detrimental to safety and security of users->nation->bharat rakshak.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Whats with all the mass suicides, sirs??

Any issues like leakage or hackings that we should be worried about??

Just asking.
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

archan wrote:Oh maaan, another 4000+ post-deletion? we should make a policy here that whatever you post becomes content of BRF forever. So post at your risk.
+1 onlee.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

archan wrote:Oh maaan, another 4000+ post-deletion? we should make a policy here that whatever you post becomes content of BRF forever. So post at your risk.
archan ji:
Why not give the ability to a poster to delete those posts that they don't want in the forum? Only for a day and only as a privilege after major elections in India? Of course I understand that it is a lot of work for admins if phpBB dos not come with the facility. Easier route is to have an amnesty period of a week after elections during which time everybody can delete (or keep) unwanted (wanted posts) without the ability to edit any of their posts.

I say this after my one month ban and looking in as a guest. Now I have a better understanding of admin policies and why they are what they are. IMHO, they are fair and it is a lot of work. The perspective from inside is vastly different from what the outsiders take away from the forum.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 13 Dec 2014 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Elections do not end. One is followed by the other. Posts are indeed editable for a short while after posting, and if that much time is not enough for mature adult posters, people simply are not giving sufficient thought to what they post about. The solution is not to give them a longer time 'to figure it out'.

From moderation experience, the only workable solution is time off; self moderation on the part of posters is something we've historically never been able to depend upon reliably, with a few individual exceptions only. There simply isn't such a sense of ownership to result in such forum civic sense; there's a sense of entitlement about posting, and a regard that it's someone else's job to fix any problems.

The 2014 GE is long since over. Perhaps it's time to restrict discussions on politics. There's too many threads and too much noise. Those threads have far too much negative energy about them. Every word and picture is over analyzed to much grief. People call each other names. The amount of political interest is no doubt impressive, but perhaps there are other avenues to express it productively.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

suraj ji: thanks.
vishnua
BRFite

Post by vishnua »

Can the delete process be automated ?