Internal Security Watch

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Re: Internal Security Watch

Post by Sachin »

Take the below report with a truck load full of salt as it comes from The Hindu - who any way love the Naxals or any group of terrorists. How ever I feel as a force CRPF has a long way to go in fighting insurgency. Their officer cadre seems to be to be clue less, and works in the typical Babu fashion. Perhaps have selected units staffed by IA officers on deputation?
The Central Reserve Police Mess (The Hindu: English)
ravip
BRFite

Post by ravip »

Got to know from sources that intel agencies were at his home in blore when Channel 4 was reporting live....but our source was, the kalyan guy who returned from pig land...
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

They had him in custody yesterday. And this morning the police/IB confirmed exactly what I said - he's just a fan boy. No legal grounds for arrest - as he was never involved in any anti India activity. As usual media makes a big deal when there wasn't a need to make a big deal.

See this article which confirms the same
http://wp.me/p1cKzB-5Nz

But like any govt, GoI have the right to use a part of the law against him - probably because it's a public issue now.
Last edited by shyamd on 13 Dec 2014 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
SanjayC
BRFite

Post by SanjayC »

Sachin wrote:Take the below report with a truck load full of salt as it comes from The Hindu - who any way love the Naxals or any group of terrorists. How ever I feel as a force CRPF has a long way to go in fighting insurgency. Their officer cadre seems to be to be clue less, and works in the typical Babu fashion. Perhaps have selected units staffed by IA officers on deputation?
The Central Reserve Police Mess (The Hindu: English)
These services are called para-military forces, but are staffed exclusively by civilian cops. The military component is missing. While it may be OK to recruit the field force of para military forces separately and not give them military training, the officer class needs to have compulsory military training. Either attach them to military for a couple of years or absorb the short-service commission officers who face retirement from army at a young age.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

shyamd wrote:They had him in custody yesterday. And this morning the police/IB confirmed exactly what I said - he's just a fan boy.
I felt so, mainly because the Bengaluru Police picked up this chap in no time. In a huge city like Bengaluru, where tenant records are very poor to catch hold of some one in a jiffy is pretty much a herculean task. I would not be surprised if Channel 4 was also asked to telecast their interview on a specific day for the "pomp & splendour" part of it. They declare that ISIS-wallah is from Bengaluru, the local media goes bersek, people in BRF (and else where) also goes bersek. Bengaluru police gives a smirk, wait for some time and go and pick up that fellow since he is already very much known to them :D.
SanjayC wrote:Either attach them to military for a couple of years or absorb the short-service commission officers who face retirement from army at a young age.
SSC officers may not work. Many of the SSC officers opt out of the Army because they don't want to continue on the job. With a severe officer shortage IA do try to get these officers to stay for longer time. It is mostly the officers who call it quits, rather than IA showing them the door.
Sonugn
BRFite

Post by Sonugn »

(rr)NDTV has had an interview with daddy & daddy claims that the his ward has been framed.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

www.joshualandis.com/blog/story-shami-witness]Syria Comment : Archives The Story of Shami Witness : Syria Comment

joshualandis.com | Dec 12th 2014

Aymenn Jawad Al-Tamimi

Those of you reading this post will probably know by now of the latest viral story to hit social media: namely, the revelation of the true identity of the most prominent Islamic State (IS) fanboy on Twitter by the pseudonym of ‘Shami Witness.’ Originally using the name ‘El Saltador’ (Spanish for ‘the jumper': a Western cultural reference that escapes my recall), he emerged on the Twitter scene around the beginning of 2013. At that time, he would often try to engage certain, more prominent Twitter users on issues related to the Islamic world, myself among them. For instance, one of his first tweets to me was to criticise a rather inane tweet I had written on a ‘Bangladesh Spring’ victory over Islamists.

His perspective was clearly that of an Islamist but- undoubtedly through prior tracking of social media- he seemed to have a broad knowledge of Syria’s Sunni insurgency with a particular focus on Salafi and jihadi groups, something that extended to Libya in particular and the wider Muslim world (also in his very early days, he had marketed himself out as an analyst on Libya, and had told a colleague of mine that he was a person of Libyan origin in the UK). Other indications of his Islamist leanings in those earlier times were his support for the Ikhwan-led government in Egypt- his main line of defence being that none of the Ikhwan’s opponents could necessarily do a better job at governance (not an unreasonable argument)- and his cheering on of Erdogan during the Gezi Park protests that erupted in May 2013. It was of course during this same period (i.e. April 2013 onwards) that IS’ predecessor the Islamic State in Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) emerged: at that early stage of ISIS’ existence it would not necessarily be fair to characterize him as an ISIS partisan. On the contrary he was more keen on the notion of ‘Islamic rebel/jihadi unity’, so to speak: something that could include ISIS. In short, his worldview was of an Islamist who at least had hope in the gradualist non-violent Islamisation projects of Erdogan and the Ikhwan in Egypt while showing sympathy for jihadis more generally. At this time too (i.e. late spring-early summer 2013), I had given him credit for correctly identifying that Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi had appointed Omar al-Shishani as ISIS’ ‘northern’ amir in Syria, which was vindicated later in open source material.

Two events mark key points in Shami’s transformation from an apparently rather standard Islamist to the IS fanboy as so many have come to know him. Of course, taking perhaps a more Tacitean cynical view of him, one might argue that he was a hardline IS/ISIS etc. fan all along and merely used a more ‘moderate’ Islamist veneer to gain standing and credibility. Not having met him in real life, I do not wish to speculate along such lines. In any event, presenting his evolution as appeared on his Twitter timeline is worthwhile. The first event was the coup against the Ikhwan-led government, which enraged him considerably. Yet even after this point, he had not yet become a full-blown ISIS partisan, but rather was still willing to give credence to forces like Jabhat al-Nusra (Syria’s al-Qa’ida affiliate) and the Islamic Front coalition, which contrasts him with other prominent hardline ISIS fans at the time (most notably, @zhoof21, about whom more later). Thus, the second main turning point was the outbreak of infighting between ISIS and rebel groups at the start of 2014. This completes his definite public transformation into the ISIS/IS fanboy. It is also this stage, it should be noted, where many of the other pro-jihadi Twitter users take more definite sides in contrast to a previous attempt at jihadi brotherology. For example, Abdullah al-Ansari, who had expressed a personal preference for Jabhat al-Nusra but was willing to advertise ISIS material in 2013, turned strongly against ISIS, as did the user who called himself @troublejee.

Prior to January 2014, I had given Shami two opportunities for guest posts, one on the emergence of ‘Jaysh al-Islam’ (in which post he expressed approval of Jaysh al-Islam as a legitimate Islamic force, even if he believed it was a largely just a new front name for already existing Liwa al-Islam affiliates) and the other for his more general view of where jihadis fitted into the Syrian civil war dynamics. I had also made clear that those views were not indicative of my own, and my own published articles diverged quite sharply from his, something of which he himself was aware. For instance, my own view on the outbreak of infighting in Syria is that ISIS abused the welcome they had received from many rebels particularly those of Salafi leaning who wanted to entertain notions of ISIS as their ‘brothers’, whereas IS fanboys claim it was all part of a Western and Saudi-backed sinister conspiracy.

Nor will the spin of Shami or other IS fans convince me that jizya is anything other than Mafia-style extortion (a view I have always held). Shami’s own recognition of the sharp differences was what prompted him to request me to remove his guest posts from my site, believing it would only cause me trouble. It was his general courteousness towards me that led me to dub him a ‘friend’ despite not knowing him personally. Further, the status he gained meant that if ‘bro Shami’ approved of me, then the other IS fanboys on Twitter had reason not to harangue me: eventually though, in May a number of IS fanboys got on to my double game with some of them and purported to expose me as a ‘closet Jew’.

For all this, a mea culpa is the appropriate response. Those who say that Shami’s rise was partly facilitated by analysts giving him space to express his views are right: regardless of agreeing with his views or not, his prominence was increased.

But what of Shami’s wider role? Was the account used to ‘recruit for ISIS’ as CNN claims? Does his account’s deletion mean a ‘victory’ against IS? Here is my assessment:

1. It would not really be accurate to characterize Shami so much an ‘IS source’ as much as a ‘disseminator’, as Peter Neumann of the International Center for the Study of Radicalization puts it. The main scoop I can trace to Shami is the one mentioned above re. Omar al-Shishani’s appointment. The only other instance in which I can perhaps credit him for original information was on Liwa Thuwar Raqqa’s relationship with Jabhat al-Nusra in Raqqa, which, as it turned out, had always been troublesome, culminating in a formal expulsion of Liwa Thuwar Raqqa from Jabhat al-Nusra. If one looks back on Shami’s Twitter feed, as more and more official IS venues of information on Twitter emerged, much of the time he was simply retweeting. Shami’s role can therefore also be described as an ‘aggregator’ of IS content, something he also did in the days before official IS(IS) provincial news feeds and the like.

Aggregation of official material and other IS-related news is a sure way to attract foreign fighters on Twitter to follow you, even if the tone is not necessarily pro-IS. Fighting on the battlefields of Syria and Iraq, where Internet access is intermittent at best, other duties occupy your time and the conflict is heavily localized, it can very difficult for a foreign fighter to get an idea of the overall picture unless he turns to an outside disseminator.

2. Shami’s role in a supposed ‘coordinated’ campaign of advancing IS propaganda- as well as his real influence- can be overstated. That is not to say that unofficial pro-IS accounts can’t run coordinated promotion campaigns (as we will see below), but Shami does not appear to have been part of such initiatives. Rather, like @zhoof21, he just came across as a very motivated fan and disseminator. Incidentally, whereas Shami had the public transformation from standard Islamist to hardcore IS supporter, @zhoof21’s subsequent account appears to have gone in the opposite direction, becoming a mere tweeter on ‘tawheed’ (‘monotheism’) and dropping the IS flag from his Twitter profile picture.

Once a prominent ISIS disseminator in Arabic: @zhoof21, now @zhoof1 following suspension. Still ‘the jihadi spring’ but now completely avoiding IS content and solely tweeting on ‘tawheed’.[/b]

Other indications pointing away from the notion of IS somehow coordinating with Shami were Shami’s occasional divergences from IS positions. Most notably, he attempted to downplay the idea that IS had enslaved Yezidis- something IS later proudly admitted to in ‘Dabiq’ magazine (I had never doubted that Yezidis were at least being traded as slaves in a personal capacity). This followed on from a few IS Twitter users already boasting of the notion of Yezidi slaves.

As for Shami and the question of recruitment, no definite case has yet been shown to demonstrate that a foreign fighter/would-be recruit ended up joining/trying to join IS because he had been following Shami’s tweets or had interacted with Shami on direct messaging. Evidence in this regard can only be gleaned from the testimony of foreign fighters or would-be recruits. It will be of interest to see what emerges, if anything.

3. Despite his prominence, towards the end of his Tweeting career Shami had begun to attract reservations and suspicion among some IS supporters. Journalist Aris Roussinos remarked on Twitter recently: “Tbh I assumed @ShamiWitness was being kept alive as a honeypot” (i.e. to lure and trap would-be IS recruits). Not a wholly unreasonable hypothesis. One of the most glaring questions was that amid the Twitter crackdown on IS and pro-IS accounts that saw IS kicked off Twitter in an official capacity and some other prominent IS fanboys deleted multiple times, Shami’s account endured. Why? I had at first thought this was because Shami had perhaps exercised a degree of caution in his tweeting: avoiding to tweet the IS beheadings of Western hostages, perhaps? But in fact, I learnt from the Channel 4 expose that he had tweeted the video featuring Peter Kassig’s beheading multiple times. So what gives?

4. Amid the excitement about the disappearance of one of the most prominent IS-supporting accounts on Twitter, it is easy to become Anglophone-centric and forget that the majority of IS’ foreign fighters are from the Arab world, and that Arabic language recruitment is ultimately of greater importance to IS. In this regard, there is still an active, coordinated campaign by Arabic IS-unofficial media support outlets, regularly retweeting and disseminating IS material while also releasing their own co-produced content in support of IS. An archive of those outlets can be found here. Some of these groups include al-Nusra al-Maqdisia (‘Maqdisi [Palestinian] Support’), ‘The Media Front to Support IS’ and Fresh Air Media.

A recent joint nasheed production by Maqdisi Support and Fresh Air Media in support of IS: “From Bayt al-Maqdis [Jerusalem] we support you/give you victory.’[/b]

Speaking of Shami’s own native country in India, a local jihadi outfit- Ansar al-Tawheed, which pledged allegiance to IS in October- has also had its media wing busy in actively disseminating IS material in Indian subcontinent languages.

Ansar al-Tawheed’s media wing- Isabah Media- recently released Baghdadi’s November speech ‘And even if the disbelievers hate’ in, among other languages, Urdu and Hindi.

These non-English/Western language campaigns for IS, which have generally continued unabated, unsurprisingly attract less attention because the media focus on social media is on recruitment of Westerners. Overlooking the Arabic side of IS’ foreign fighters recruitment base and contingents risks missing out on a big part of the story of IS’ growth.

Ultimately, the fundamental problem we face is that there is simply too much IS material being disseminated too rapidly for Twitter and social media to catch up to crack down comprehensively, for all the ‘degradation’ of IS’ official capacity to propagate on Twitter. This would seem to be the price of the world of open access social media. Hopefully, the Muslim world within in particular can develop counter-narratives.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Sonugn wrote:(rr)NDTV has had an interview with daddy & daddy claims that the his ward has been framed.
You should read The Hindu then. For any Islamic terrorist who gets caught, The Hindu runs to his/her parents to prepare a sob story. Same was the case with that fellow from Kalyan who got picked up. Which parent is going to willingly admit that his/her son is a terrorist or sympathises with them? Yet, The Hindu plays this gimmick when Islamic terrorists (or sympathisers) get caught.
Mehdi was under surveillance for long (The Hindu: English)
Mehdi reigned in the virtual world: police (The Hindu: English)
A studious boy who did not mix with people (The Hindu:English)
Mekail Biswas, the 64-year-old father of Mehdi Biswas, who was arrested on Saturday in Bengaluru, is convinced of his son’s innocence and believes that either there has been a case of mistaken identity or Mehdi was framed.

“I am ready to fight a legal battle. I am convinced that my son is not guilty,” he said.

I feel shyamd was right. This chap was in the radar of our own agencies for quite some time. Bengaluru Police cannot hunt him down so quickly, without having some prior dossier on him.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

There's very little chance that someone like this is not under digital surveillance (if not physical)... From what I understand, from just reading about shite and putting two and two together, we are reasonably sophisticated in these matters...
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Sachin wrote:
shyamd wrote:They had him in custody yesterday. And this morning the police/IB confirmed exactly what I said - he's just a fan boy.
I felt so, mainly because the Bengaluru Police picked up this chap in no time. In a huge city like Bengaluru, where tenant records are very poor to catch hold of some one in a jiffy is pretty much a herculean task. I would not be surprised if Channel 4 was also asked to telecast their interview on a specific day for the "pomp & splendour" part of it. They declare that ISIS-wallah is from Bengaluru, the local media goes bersek, people in BRF (and else where) also goes bersek. Bengaluru police gives a smirk, wait for some time and go and pick up that fellow since he is already very much known to them :D.
I wouldn't be so sure. This is what the top brass of NIA and Karnataka Police had to say :
It Was a T-Shirt That Led Authorities to Mehdi, Within Just 14 Hours

As the UK-based Channel 4 report on how an Indian was acting as the key recruiter of IS through Twitter headlined on television channels across India, a group of greying men were huddled at their base in Lutyens' Delhi.

Who was Mehdi and how could an IS recruiter escape detection was the question haunting the men.

While the government kept its calm despite the vociferous Opposition attack over the conversion issue, the sudden surfacing of Indian link to IS had unnerved all. Those who act as the eyes and ears of the Prime Minister were bearing down heavily on the men: "How long will you take to get to him and how far have you progressed?"

An urgent message had already been flashed to the US for the internet logs of the Twitter handle '@SamiWitness' - the purported handle of the IS man. But as with all such requests, there was no hope of getting details on time.

Without server logs, it was impossible to know the Internet Protocol (IP) address, that gives a fair indication of the location. What other technique could they use? The group decided to fall back on tried and tested "old style policing".

Instead of tracking the IP address, they got down to tracking a t-shirt. The Channel-4 report had images of the suspect, but the face was blurred. What was clearly visible was the t-shirt he wore. What also helped was his voice. A voice analysis pointed to a man in early or mid-20s with a "Bengali" accent.

By midday, as the pressure on the investigators increased, a section got busy trawling through Facebook pages using special software, checking for pictures of people sporting similar tee-shirts. The search yielded a few hundred profiles.

"It was expected that 'Medhi' would be part of the name or assumed name and so it was easy to shorten the list of people wearing similar T-shirts," a senior official said. But the list was very long.

The search then moved on to another parallel - phone numbers of people called Mehdi. It threw up people working in very senior positions.

A dilemma gripped the group. Could they randomly question all of them? "In past, several people have lost their jobs and were ostracised because they were examined and we weren't in favour of a fishing expedition," the official added.

"We needed a lot of luck," said another official.

The voice analysis that pointed to a young man with a "Bengali" helped narrow the list.

Phone records of those on the final list of suspects showed normal activity except for the one who went by the name Mehdi Masroor Biswas. And it seemed to match all criteria - a Bengali boy in mid-20s, an engineer who was located in Bangalore.

The next step was Guru Nanak Institute of Technology - listed by Biswas in one of his public profiles - in West Bengal's Sodepur. The college had details of his employment and photo. "The rest was easy," the officer said.

A little after 11 pm , when a section of the team walked into Mahdi Masroor's one-room apartment, he was seated at his computer. The search was over.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

There are so many versions of how they got him doing the rounds now. each agency trying to steal the credit from the other for promotions.
Just consider a few things
- this guy didn't try and run
- He spoke to journalists without obscuring his voice (apparently via a mobile phone)
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Hope he spends the rest of his life in Tihar
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

So Md. Zaidi's books on D-company are pretty good. I believe he has written 3 books in last few years:

1. From Dondri to Dubai
2. Mafia queens of Mumbai
3. Byculla to Bangkok

It is amazing that someone from Maharashtra sarkar tipped off Dawood that police is going to arrest him and DI escaped to Dubai.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

abhishek_sharma wrote: 1. From Dondri to Dubai
I had this in my collection, but now gave it off. The author has a very "happy" or "gloating" tone when describing the antics of Dawood or the Pathan and other Muslim mafiosi in Mumbai. The book also mentions about Dawood and A.R Antulay who were child hood pals when both resided at Dongri area. The book also mentions about Ibrahim Kaskar (Dawood's father) who was a Crime Branch Head Constable in Mumbai Police. The impression I got was the father was also a too typical police man of those days, who may not have been very much honest. His father being a police man (that too in Crime Branch) may have only benefited Dawood during his early days.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

In the mean while at Bangalore....
Mehdi got in touch with IS? (The Hindu:English)
Mehdi’s counsel to move for bail shortly

Don't know why but The Hindu has a standard phrase which talks about the father & mother claiming that their son was innocent. Each and every report pretty much has some mention about this :roll:. Why don't they just report the incident & the court proceedings? Let the judges decide and give the rulings.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Don't know why but The Hindu has a standard phrase which talks about the father & mother claiming that their son was innocent.
Of course, this applies only for a certain set of folks.

Dont remember such phrases when "saffron terrorists" were involved
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Are Mumbai gangs divided along religious lines? That is an interesting question. Given that D-gang and Pathan gang killed each other ruthlessly, I guess it is fair to say that they were not divided along religious lines. Haji Mastan used the services of both Pathan group and a Tamilian group (Vardharajan).

In early 1980s, one Jena-ben brought Pathan gang and D-gang together in Haji Mastan's home and asked them to work together because they were Muslims. I guess that was the first time when religion was brought in. During the planning of 1993 bomb blasts, Chota Rajan was kept out of discussions by Chota Sakeel because he was a kafir. And after riots in 1992-93 Muslim women from Mumbai sent bangles to Dawood implying that he was not man enough because he was not protecting his sisters. So things went south in the 1990s.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Firstpost ‏@firstpostin 56m56 minutes ago

I am a soldier: Mehdi Biswas doesn't regret handling pro-ISIS Twitter account http://bit.ly/1zD0XQ6
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

12:07 'Terrorists may break in to Tihar jail and free prisoners': The security of Tihar jail has been beefed up after intelligence inputs were received that the high profile prison may be targeted by terror outfits to free jailed terrorists.

The high-security prison, which already has a three-layer security apparatus, was on Thursday enhanced further after the inputs.

Delhi Police is already on a high alert after a home ministry advisory alerting about a possible LeT strike in the city.

"Following the high alert in the capital, the security of the jail has been increased by several notches. No risk will be taken as far as the security of the inmates and the prison is concerned," DIG Mukesh Prasad said.

"Tihar houses many hardcore terrorists and other high-profile inmates, their security remains our priority. There are reports that attacks may be carried out to release Pakistani terrorist lodged in here. Security has been enhanced and tight vigil is being kept on every movement within and outside the jail," a jail-based source said. Tihar jail currently houses many terrorists and politicians.

Ex Haryana CM Om Prakash Chautala and Sahara chief Subrata Roy are amongst other high-profile personalities currently lodged in the high-security prison.

:: rediff
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

abhishek_sharma wrote:Are Mumbai gangs divided along religious lines? That is an interesting question.
If you are asking this based on my comments about the book Dongri to Dubai, then it is this way. The author did seem to have a bit of a pride to say that the Muslim mafiosi now rule the roost in Mumbai. That may be not the truth, nor that may be his intention, but that is what I could make out from the way the author narrated the whole history.
Given that D-gang and Pathan gang killed each other ruthlessly, I guess it is fair to say that they were not divided along religious lines.
This happened during the initial days of the Mumbai mafia. The religious split seems to have happened after the first set of bomb blasts in Mumbai (after Babri Masjid demolition). Even before that the Muslims seems to have got an upper hand in the mafia. It may be not using violence, but perhaps they were the only strong fellows out there in the field. Even Chotta Rajan at that part of time had not spawned his group.
Haji Mastan used the services of both Pathan group and a Tamilian group (Vardharajan).
This was any way much before Dawood took over. One thing what I understood was that, during those days there was a bit of honesty among thieves and the two gangs just focused on two different things. Haji Mastan focused on smuggling gold etc. while Varadaraja Mudaliar focused on boot-legging and selling of hooch. First to fall was the Varadaraja gang who faced their nemesis in Y.C Pawar IPS, then a young DCP in Mumbai Police. After that I don't think there were any Hindu dons in Mumbai.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

The Hindu-led gangs were eliminated by the Congress govt in MH with Sharad Pawar being the key player. This gave the Muslim-led gangs the upper hand and relied on a quid-pro-quo with the Congress establishment. Many allege that this nexus allowed Dawood and co to escape after the blasts and Pawar/Cong at least looked the other way. A similar thing happened in Guj where the Muslim-led mafia ruled the roost during Congress times but were eliminated after BJP got entrenched.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

IIRC the Daya Naik encounter killings were all against members of Hindu gangs. Some say that this exalted 'encounter-specialist' (on whom the movie Ab Tak Chhappan is based) was on Dawood's payroll.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Supratik wrote:The Hindu-led gangs were eliminated by the Congress govt in MH with Sharad Pawar being the key player. This gave the Muslim-led gangs the upper hand and relied on a quid-pro-quo with the Congress establishment. Many allege that this nexus allowed Dawood and co to escape after the blasts and Pawar/Cong at least looked the other way.
This. The police were behaving like hitmen for Dawood and his allies for some time. Many gangsters from rival gangs were systematically bumped off, sometimes using tip-offs from Dawood's gang-members themselves.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

NIA struggles to find proof against Majeed - Deeptiman Tiwary, ToI
National Investigation Agency (NIA) may have arrested Arib Majeed for being an Islamic State (ISIS) fighter, but it is now struggling for evidence. All his offences have been committed in such regions where no legitimate government, let alone India, has an access.

NIA is thus left with only circumstantial evidence such as proof of his travel to Iraq, internet activity, bullet injuries and his family's testimony. All of this may be contested in court as sufficient evidence for linking him to ISIS and testimonies of his family and his own statement may change when trial begins. In any case statements given to police are not admissible in court as evidence.

In his statement, the boy from Mumbai's suburb, Kalyan, has made claims that make him appear as a well-trained, fully indoctrinated and dangerous terrorist. He has claimed that he not only participated in the August offensive at Mosul dam but even made unsuccessful attempts at suicide bombing in Syria.

"But how do we get corroborative evidence of this. We do not have a mutual legal assistance treaty with Islamic State. Can we send a letter rogatory to Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi," asks a befuddled NIA officer.

The agency has conducted lie detector test on Majeed, but this too is not admissible as evidence and merely used as a tool to give investigations a direction.

NIA's best bet would be, say sources, that Majeed enters some sort of plea bargain with the authorities and cooperates with the investigation by making a confession before a magistrate. In that scenario, his statement would be treated as evidence and useful in prosecuting three other confirmed recruits of ISIS from Kalyan as and when they return home. The evidence would also be useful in clamping down on any ISIS activity in the country through internet or otherwise.

The agency recently had such success in one of its cases. In the case of the conspiracy to attack Israeli embassy in Bangalore and US consulate in Chennai at the behest of Pak spy agency ISI, Sri Lankan national Sakir Hussain made a confession in a Chennai court and was sentenced to five years' imprisonment. His statement would now be used as evidence against his associate Mohammed Hussain, arrested in Malaysia earlier this year. Hussain has been deported to Sri Lanka from where India is trying to get him extradited. Both had been hired by Pakistan diplomat in Sri Lanka, Amir Zuber Siddiqui.
This is a very serious issue. We will now have suicide bomber returnees, jihadi terrorists, indoctrinated extremists roaming freely in the country because they cannot be kept in jails under existing laws. After the Afghan Jihad, several West Asian countries did not allow most of the jihadists to return home and even those who returned were under surveillance.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Were it not for Sharad Pawar and other Congi goon's support to Dawood Ibrahim, underworld operations in Bombay could never have have been controlled by him. Consider this all the big regional dons in the city were Hindus:
East/Harbour Bombay - Bada Rajan/Chota Rajan
North East - Thapa Gang
Western Suburbs - Bhai Thakur
Central Mumbai - Amar Naik.

Not many people will remember that CBI had intercepted a call made from Mantralaya chamber of/by a NCP minister Arun (not sure of the last name) to Dawood's number in Dubai.This was just after the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai.
member_28851
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28851 »

34 people killed by suspected militants in Sonitpur and Kokrajhar districts of Assam: NDTV
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Mean while in Kerala. Suspected Maoists gangs conducted three "attacks" (basically arson and vandalism) in three different places yesterday early morning.
1. Forest office in Wayanad set on fire
2. Forest office in Mukkali, Silent Valley (Palakkad Dt.) set on fire..
3. Outlets of KFC and McDonalds at Chandranagar Byepass, Palakkad Town vandalised. Two chaps have been picked up after this incident.

News paper reports:-
1. Times of India Report
2. Indian Express Report
3. The Hindu Report

PS: Last month there was an encounter between Maoists and K.P Commandos at Wayanad (pretty close to the area where yesterday's attack happened), and fire was exchanged.
Shanmukh
BRF Oldie

Post by Shanmukh »

NDFB (S) - it is a Christian Bodo militia - begins carnage in Assam. From the looks of it, other tribals (not converted) are being butchered. And Assam government ignored specific intelligence inputs to let carnage happen.

http://www.oneindia.com/india/brutal-at ... icle-tweet
Anantha
BRFite

Post by Anantha »

Vipul wrote:Were it not for Sharad Pawar and other Congi goon's support to Dawood Ibrahim, underworld operations in Bombay could never have have been controlled by him. Consider this all the big regional dons in the city were Hindus:
East/Harbour Bombay - Bada Rajan/Chota Rajan
North East - Thapa Gang
Western Suburbs - Bhai Thakur
Central Mumbai - Amar Naik.

Not many people will remember that CBI had intercepted a call made from Mantralaya chamber of/by a NCP minister Arun (not sure of the last name) to Dawood's number in Dubai.This was just after the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai.

Arun Gawli
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

(WARNING: LINK CONTAINS AFTERMATH VIDEO OF A 9YR OLD BEHEADED GIRL)
http://www.barenakedislam.com/2014/12/1 ... g-graphic/

At first I thought this video was from pakistan and ignored it.

But then I noticed at the 50 sec mark, there are two ladies standing in the background in saris and I became tense. A man is speaking in in urdu with bhojuri accent. This appears to be an incident from UP/bihar/jharkhand.

Can someone please confirm? How was this not picked up by indian media?
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

nvishal wrote:(WARNING: LINK CONTAINS AFTERMATH VIDEO OF A 9YR OLD BEHEADED GIRL)
http://www.barenakedislam.com/2014/12/1 ... g-graphic/

At first I thought this video was from pakistan and ignored it.

But then I noticed at the 50 sec mark, there are two ladies standing in the background in saris and I became tense. A man is speaking in in urdu with bhojuri accent. This appears to be an incident from UP/bihar/jharkhand.

Can someone please confirm? How was this not picked up by indian media?
I can't make out the saris, could be lungis worn by Bangladeshi Muslims. But this is Urdu, this is must be Pakistan or India. There is no way of knowing for sure. If this was Bihar or UP, the sickular state governments would ensure this was never reported in any media.

The school uniform makes me think this is India. Pakistan doesn't have this uniform. :(
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

^You are right about the school uniform. The video is from india confirmed
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

looks like india , whats worst is he used a spade to do it
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

It's a garden hoe that was used. It is shown in the video. Incredible. How come our media has not covered this story???

BTW, let's not assume this was a religion related killing... could be anything.

Almost certainly India though. I thought initially might be Bangladesh, where the uniform is not impossible, but going by the general "atmosphere" - almost certainly it's in our country.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Let's tweet this video to some of the RW journalists & twitter IHs. Need to get this out.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>Let's tweet this video to some of the RW journalists

no it should first be tweeted to the irresponsible left, then couple of days for reaction, and then to RW...
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

JE Menon wrote:>>Let's tweet this video to some of the RW journalists

no it should first be tweeted to the irresponsible left, then couple of days for reaction, and then to RW...
They aldready know, they don't cover and ignore a lot of news stories inconvenient to them.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

let's not jump the gun before we know who did it and why.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

I am so upset at the Bodo attacks and the seeming lack of shock and outrage expressed in the Media, DDM, and even to some extent SM. :evil: :evil: :evil: