Breaking news: Coast guard intercepted terrorist boat

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Re: Breaking news: Coast guard intercepted terrorist boat

Post by chackojoseph »

shyams.
Which country you are making an example where military does not question governments? Even in paki land, journalists end up dead or disappear as they have questioned their governments. it has not stopped someone or the other questioning their govt.

GOI has not given its side of story. All it said is that they have circumstantial evidence and they will come with their proof.

Useful idiot can go any lengths. it can be short or long. Pakis take advantage both sides, even if you question or don't question.

Sri Hari Seldon,

was kasab's capture questioned?
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Lets call it a suspecious boat and close the case. When its suspecious and Porki, its usually terrorist related. But you can still call it suspecious Pakistani boat.

Apart from name calling this boat I think we all agree on this issue. Do we?
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

No one has disagreed or disregarded with CG action. The crux of the matter is what it was - a smuggling boat or a terror boat.
shyams
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shyams »

Out of thread - but it is high time the govt. put some sort of restrictions on the basic qualifications (like contemporary history/geopolitics, military affairs, Logic, etc.) that media personnel needs before writing about news pertaining to national security.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Any military action, anywhere in the world, brings on diverse reactions. it includes patriotism, skepticism, anti action groups, saboteurs and vested interests.

--

and guess what reaction you are having :roll:
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

I must also add that particular section of this forum, in their zeal for personal attacks, have tried to assign the blame on others that CG action is questioned. We have to take on these particular section to mislead and try to bring out the fake debate on CG actions.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

chackojoseph wrote:was kasab's capture questioned?
he was captured alive. otherwise "diverse reactions" would be there.

in fact, "diverse reactions" were there before he was caught.

thank god for thukaram omble.
shyams
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shyams »

chackojoseph wrote:shyams.
Which country you are making an example where military does not question governments? Even in paki land, journalists end up dead or disappear as they have questioned their governments. it has not stopped someone or the other questioning their govt.

GOI has not given its side of story. All it said is that they have circumstantial evidence and they will come with their proof.
I said "What should also be noted is that unlike in India, in all other countries you don't see the media questioning the govt. with silly outlandish scenarios and peddling them as possible truth"

I did NOT say "What should also be noted is that unlike in India, in all other countries you don't see the media questioning the govt." and stop with it. There is an and clause to that sentence.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

chackojoseph wrote:I must also add that particular section of this forum, in their zeal for personal attacks, have tried to assign the blame on others that CG action is questioned. We have to take on these particular section to mislead and try to bring out the fake debate on CG actions.
yes, YOU are the knight in shining armor fighting for the truth and WE are the zealous ones.

oh the irony of it all...

over and out before i throw up in the keyboard..
shyams
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shyams »

chackojoseph wrote:No one has disagreed or disregarded with CG action. The crux of the matter is what it was - a smuggling boat or a terror boat.
If the boat blew itself up, there is reasonable probability that it is not a smuggling boat. Therefore that leaves the "terror boat" as the only viable alternative IMO.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

chackojoseph wrote:No one has disagreed or disregarded with CG action. The crux of the matter is what it was - a smuggling boat or a terror boat.

Does it matter who they were? Both falls under criminal category on which deadly force is authorized.

Would you like to risk Indian lives to dive for evidence in hose choppy waters?
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

cjoseph, you can demand inquiry with top of your voice, just because some DDM journey is paid lifafa and barks for masters good luck with govt. even paying attention to that. :rotfl:
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Shyams,

I still am looking forward which countries you mention. I can think of only china where they issue releases and don't take questions.

The boat blew up due to fire set up by the personnel inside as per CG statement. CG later stated that there were 2 jerrycans with approx 200 liters of fuel.

sid,

I have no idea what that argument is for unless you explain your position.
shyams
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shyams »

shyams wrote:
If the boat blew itself up, there is reasonable probability that it is not a smuggling boat. Therefore that leaves the "terror boat" as the only viable alternative IMO.
Oh and pray, what evidence do YOU have that it is a smuggling boat? As a journalist, if you don't have evidence to present to public to back up your story, then you should not state it. The govt. on the other hand is not bound to such things since they have the prerogative to hide the evidence for national security purposes. Any such questioning of the govt. should be happening in a closed hearing of the appropriate parliamentary committee IMO.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

shyams wrote:Oh and pray, what evidence do YOU have that it is a smuggling boat? As a journalist, if you don't have evidence to present to public to back up your story, then you should not state it. The govt. on the other hand is not bound to such things since they have the prerogative to hide the evidence for national security purposes. Any such questioning of the govt. should be happening in a closed hearing of the appropriate parliamentary committee IMO.
Where I have conclusively said it is a smuggling boat? I speculated that based on what CG said that it was a illicit transfer.
shyams
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shyams »

chackojoseph wrote:Shyams,

I still am looking forward which countries you mention. I can think of only china where they issue releases and don't take questions.

The boat blew up due to fire set up by the personnel inside as per CG statement. CG later stated that there were 2 jerrycans with approx 200 liters of fuel.

sid,

I have no idea what that argument is for unless you explain your position.
My goodness... let me try this again...

What should also be noted is that unlike in India, in all other countries you don't see the media questioning the govt. with silly outlandish scenarios and peddling them as possible truth.

In other words there is no other major country worth mentioning (US, Russia, UK, France, China, etc.) where the media peddles outlandish theories as actual scenario to counter the govt.

I am NOT stating that the media in these countries don't question the govt. Big difference.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

ShyamS, Leave paid lifaffa Journo to their misery, no one cares about such rotten souls atleast hear on this forum
Last edited by krishna_krishna on 09 Jan 2015 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

shyams,

I am still waiting for example. Why this is silly theory here?
shyams
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shyams »

chackojoseph wrote:I speculated that based on what CG said that it was a illicit transfer.
We all have the right to speculate. But please understand that when a professional journalist (like yourself) speculate without any evidence it comes across very differently and plain incorrect. You should understand that the power or reach that the media has automatically holds you against a very different standard than any other ordinary citizen speculating over a cup of tea.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

chackojoseph wrote:saravana,

why do you assign me with the credit of believing that it was not a terror boat. I speculated it might not be one, citing some circumstances; and govt speculated it is one, citing circumstances. Just because some vested interest in the forum shouted their loudest does not mean truth has been established.

Neither me , nor govt has conclusively said that it is a terror boat or smuggling boat. I am asking for an investigation and the govt is saying that they will bring evidence after investigation.
chackojoseph,
Since the occupants of the boat had blown the boat and killed themselves, bringing the question of smuggling or terror is moot. DM saying there is a possibility of terrorists being there is common sense. The initial report also didn't mention terror. Pakis themselves care zilch for their own people.
Now you don't have an endgame in mind and want a fishing expedition done by the Govt to see what turns up. Apart from a few defence journalists, a subset of which could be doing as a academic pursuit of truth, not sure who would benefit out of this exercise.
shyams
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shyams »

chackojoseph wrote:shyams,

I am still waiting for example. Why this is silly theory here?
The fact that the boat blew itself leads to less credence to it being a smuggling boat. And EVEN is the most outlandish scenario, IF it ended up being a smuggling boat, just because the boat choose to NOT to submit to Indian govt.'s security apparatus doing their job of protecting the country does not result in any sympathy from me.
Last edited by shyams on 09 Jan 2015 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

shyams wrote:We all have the right to speculate. But please understand that when a professional journalist (like yourself) speculate without any evidence it comes across very differently and plain incorrect. You should understand that the power or reach that the media has automatically holds you against a very different standard than any other ordinary citizen speculating over a cup of tea.
shyams,

my basic argument was the lack of Naval participation which is an indicator that it was not terror case. Navy was not in picture and did not comment. As I understand the particular process, which has been drilled by both CG and Navy throughout these 3 years. So, it was responsible.

saravana and shyams,

I will repeat again. CG said that the guys lit a fire which led to blowup. They later said that there were 2 jerrycans with 200 liters of fuel.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

@shyams , no point on educating an educated person !!
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Gus wrote:
chackojoseph wrote:was kasab's capture questioned?
he was captured alive. otherwise "diverse reactions" would be there.

in fact, "diverse reactions" were there before he was caught.

thank god for thukaram omble.
+1. My point precisely.

The 'conclusive evidence' we got in 26/11 was an unforeseen stroke of luck. Else, we'd have the "zealous patriots" in the journo community collect-n-spray diverse reactions around for FUD purposes.
Not to mention foreign agendas. Anyone recall that Briturd mantri puking bile from Indian soil on how India's mistreatment of its muslims led to 26/11 even as 26/11 raged? No wonder our journos fall over each other to air such views and undermine India's security forces.
shyams
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shyams »

Dear Chaco,

I am not trying to call you out and I am sure neither are others. But this is a general venting of the frustration due to media not seeing (or perhaps seeing but not agreeing) with the larger picture here.

I hope you see the philosophical difference between you and most others in this thread debating this.... the basic gist is that if a theory (or even news backed by sound facts, which it is not in this case), does not help national interest or worse damages it, either by resulting in intel channels being compromised or hurting the credibility of the govt. apparatus then perhaps it should not be published or aired.

The basic attitude of media of "questioning at any cost" and "telecasting at any cost" (like 26/11 live tragedy show) has in general made most of very reactive and sensitive to the damage being caused here.

This is the larger angle from which I am assuming most of the forum users are looking at it from.

You are of course free to disagree.

But I just wanted to let you know this angle so that you are able to better see from where we come from.

Over and out.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

chackojoseph wrote:
shyams wrote:We all have the right to speculate. But please understand that when a professional journalist (like yourself) speculate without any evidence it comes across very differently and plain incorrect. You should understand that the power or reach that the media has automatically holds you against a very different standard than any other ordinary citizen speculating over a cup of tea.
shyams,

my basic argument was the lack of Naval participation which is an indicator that it was not terror case. Navy was not in picture and did not comment. As I understand the particular process, which has been drilled by both CG and Navy throughout these 3 years. So, it was responsible.

saravana and shyams,

I will repeat again. CG said that the guys lit a fire which led to blowup. They later said that there were 2 jerrycans with 200 liters of fuel.
The fuel tank capacity of the boat was 200 liters.

"jerrycan" means container with 35 liters capacity.

So much for facts as "understood" by "journalists".

as for the IN not being in the loop, here you go...

"journalists" sometimes have a heavy cross to bear, mouthing predigested pap and anti national party lines. Their livelihood depends upon it.

Navy says was in 'loop' in suspect terror boat operation

New Delhi, Jan 6, 2015,

The Indian Navy Tuesday said it was in the loop during the operation on the suspected terror boat which was burnt by its occupants following a chase Jan 1, and dismissed reports that it did not respond to intelligence provided by the NTRO.

The Indian Navy Tuesday said it was in the loop during the operation on the suspected terror boat which was burnt by its occupants following a chase Jan 1, and dismissed reports that it did not respond to intelligence provided by the NTRO.

In a "clarification" issued Tuesday, the navy said all standard operating procedures were followed.

"Indian Navy denies reports in some sections of the media saying that it (navy) had not reacted to the intelligence provided by the NTRO. It is clarified that the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard have responded appropriately to the situation as per the standard operating procedures (SOPs)," the navy said in a statement.

"Indian Navy as the nodal agency for the overall maritime security of the nation was kept in the information loop throughout," it said.

A suspected terror boat was intercepted by the Coast Guard off the Gujarat coast Dec 31 after the National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) intercepted a conversation between the Pakistan maritime authority and the boat's occupants.

The boat was monitored, and it was found to be stationary for a long time. However, when a Coast Guard vessel approached it, the boat tried to escape.

Following a chase, according to the defence ministry, four occupants seen on the boat went to a compartment under the deck and set the boat on fire, resulting in an explosion.

Questions are being raised in the media on the nature of the "illicit transaction" being carried out by the suspicious vessel in the Arabian Sea.

The Congress has asked the BJP-led government to come clean on conflicting reports in the media. It said every citizen of the country has the right to question the government.
Some reports said the Western Naval Command was not alerted about the intelligence report.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Slow evening.
Only conclusive evidence can now salvage the situation.
Hmmmm........................

Circumstantial evidence is good enough.

Especially when there is a pattern of behavior.

Add to that the boat came from a non-friendly entity. No need to give them any benefit of doubt. In fact pile it on.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

chackojoseph,
Now since the soosai of the boat itself is questioned by you the assumption is another actor has done the deed, which includes the CG boat itself. Since you are worried that India could become Bakistan by such actions am assuming that the line of thought is CG could be in the wrong by engaging the boat. Words like salvaging the situation points to that.
Let's say MoD and CG does a confidential investigation would that be good enough? It doesn't even have to publicise the findings and probably has already happened. Am sure that should put the enquiring minds to rest. I
agree with shyams post.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Maybe the journalists who want to investigate should be given a boat with a few jerrycans of fuel (fuel for the return trip), and they can go investigate to their heart's content. Apparently, they need to only go 300 odd KM to reach the spot. Otherwise, what's the guarantee that the ICG investigates and the media will believe them then?
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Guys why are we feeding this troll, let him enjoy his misery. Lets move on!!!! :rotfl:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Chacko, Since you are a skeptic do you still want to participate on his non-skeptic forum?

After your hagiography of AKA's disastrous tenure your credibility is quite close to nil.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Looks like some "fair" journalists have succeeded..... :D

Just like dogvijay and the batla encounter or saffron terror, what??

Fair Indian inquiry into boat incident urged

ISLAMABAD: The Foreign Office said on Thursday that Pakistani law-enforcement agencies had begun their own probe into the “terror boat” incident claimed by India and again called upon the latter to transparently investigate the issue.

“We expect that there will be a transparent investigation by the Indian government to ascertain the facts of the incident and the circumstance in which the boat caught fire and some people got killed,” FO spokesperson Tasnim Aslam said at the weekly media briefing.

Also read: Pakistan rejects India's 'preposterous' terror boat allegations

The Indian government had claimed to have intercepted a suspicious boat from Keti Bandar (Pakistan) on the New Year night after an hour-long chase. But it was said that the crew afterwards set the boat on fire, which exploded and sank.

The Indian claim was questioned not only in Pakistan but also in India, with many believing that India created the hype to heap the blame on its estranged neighbour.

“There is a debate in India and questions are being raised about the claims and circumstance under which the people in the boat were targeted and boat was set on fire,” the spokesperson said, adding that Delhi apparently had no “sound evidence” to substantiate its allegations.

Ms Aslam said that although India had not shared any information with Pakistan about the incident through diplomatic channels, the latter had on its part started its own probe.

“Based on media reports, our authorities in Pakistan are conducting an inquiry into the incident primarily to ascertain if any Pakistani fishing boat is missing at sea,” she said
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

ramanna,

Let me decide what I want to do. If you find any forum rules broken, then tell me. However, your political tones with personal attack shows that you yourself are breaking the rules as moderator.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

POKE ME: India’s response to the Pakistani ‘terrorist’ vessel has been mysterious and deserves some answers - Manoj Joshi, ET

On the lines of Praveen Swami. I have sent my detailed 3 part point-by-point rebuttal but doubt if it will be published.
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

@Sridhar:: Sir, Can You post your response to Praveen Swami here ....
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

I do not know why this pulling of hair.

There is a Pakistani boat with suspicious intentions about whose journey from Karachi there was prior information. India tracked it (it matters zilch to me whether it was CG, IN, R&AW, IB or somebody else and India destroyed it. Is there anything to contest in this?

Pakistanis are terrorists unless proved otherwise. Is there anything to contest in this?

GoI cannot and should not release all operational details. Is there anything to contest in this?

India has to contend with one less Pakistani terror boat and four less Pakistani terrorists and some less satellite phones and possibly less weapons or explosives or fake currency notes etc. Is there anything to contest in this?

Period.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

No point..
Last edited by Karan M on 09 Jan 2015 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

chetak wrote: The fuel tank capacity of the boat was 200 liters.
"jerrycan" means container with 35 liters capacity.
So much for facts as "understood" by "journalists".
as for the IN not being in the loop, here you go...
"journalists" sometimes have a heavy cross to bear, mouthing predigested pap and anti national party lines. Their livelihood depends upon it.
Navy says was in 'loop' in suspect terror boat operation
New Delhi, Jan 6, 2015,

In a "clarification" issued Tuesday, the navy said all standard operating procedures were followed.

"Indian Navy denies reports in some sections of the media saying that it (navy) had not reacted to the intelligence provided by the NTRO. It is clarified that the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard have responded appropriately to the situation as per the standard operating procedures (SOPs)," the navy said in a statement.

"Indian Navy as the nodal agency for the overall maritime security of the nation was kept in the information loop throughout," it said.

A suspected terror boat was intercepted by the Coast Guard off the Gujarat coast Dec 31 after the National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) intercepted a conversation between the Pakistan maritime authority and the boat's occupants.

The boat was monitored, and it was found to be stationary for a long time. However, when a Coast Guard vessel approached it, the boat tried to escape.

Following a chase, according to the defence ministry, four occupants seen on the boat went to a compartment under the deck and set the boat on fire, resulting in an explosion.

Questions are being raised in the media on the nature of the "illicit transaction" being carried out by the suspicious vessel in the Arabian Sea.

The Congress has asked the BJP-led government to come clean on conflicting reports in the media. It said every citizen of the country has the right to question the government.
Some reports said the Western Naval Command was not alerted about the intelligence report.
-So despite Navy announcing that it was in the loop all the while, and that 3 days back, we still have the same questions raised by this journalist on the credibility of that.
- This was a well co-ordinated operation where comm. intercepts were followed by enhanced vigilance using aircraft etc & tracking for 15 days
- Both Defense and Home Ministier have said that the people in the boat were in touch with elements of Pak army.
- It looks like CG was "expecting" the boat. it finds one that was staying put for a long time. It finally proceeds to engage it with necessary precaution . The boat begins to run . CG says boat personnel went down the lit the boat on fire. They also were negotiating the price of this operation with Pak military.
Only one entity lives to tell the tale and that is the CG. Dont believe it...take a hike. But India is well within its rights to treat the boat with suspicion.

Again, the thing is, we can go on speculating about the SOP , jerry cans, smuggling etc etc etc. But there is very little information to go with. With paucity of real info, speculation rises. And thats exactly was ChackoJoseph is doing. He has no intention of believing the version of events as put forth by Indian agencies. Why else would he still insist on Navy not being in the loop despite Navy saying it was 3 days back. Take the hint. Lets not turn this into a CT thread.

[
If I were to engage in similar counter CTs, then it could go like this:
But one thingthis is clearly indicates is why is there no alarm/comment in/from the journalist circle that a Mumbai repeat was about to happen. It raises serious questions about their intentions & moral compass

]
whats it called when you try the same experiment again and again and expect diff results?
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

chetak wrote:Looks like some "fair" journalists have succeeded..... :D

Just like dogvijay and the batla encounter or saffron terror, what??

Fair Indian inquiry into boat incident urged
Great job Indian journalists.
Samjhauta, Batla, 26/11 and now this. The Pakis _WILL_ use this against us. This is like a slow disaster unfurling.
6 months down the line, GoI 's version of terror boat will always be suspect in the eyes of Indian media as well as Pakis.

[ EDIT: Unparliamentary language removed ] . I mean ..does Indian deaths mean nothing to them. Are they so retarded that with none being punished in Pak for 26/11, they are still in the right to question GoI and Ind security apparatus.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Indian seekoolar media has taken upon itself the task of saving every seecoolar *tourist* from across the border even at the cost of India lives .... pshhhh ... mostly kamoonal anyways. Their main grouse is that a government that espouses *Atithi devo bhava* is not really implementing it in the correct spirit IMVVVVVVVVVVHO.

Nothing else explains their obsession with trying to muddle the issue.