Breaking news: Coast guard intercepted terrorist boat

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Himalay
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Breaking news: Coast guard intercepted terrorist boat

Post by Himalay »

Chackoji.. Pak terror boat got eliminated ....this is the best outcome isn't it?

CG or Navy, What difference does it make? Our security agencies were up to the task and eliminated the threat, That is what finally matters.

Appreciating efforts of those involved, is the least we can do... instead of engaging in such futile discussion.
Last edited by Himalay on 10 Jan 2015 14:11, edited 4 times in total.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

Cha ko, in such cases i.e, confronting small crafts, CG will have more hands on experience than Navy, because that is part of their daily routine.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

SSridhar wrote:I am convinced that violation of SOP or mishandling PR are not the reasons for the unnecessary furore. It is laughable when somebody cites these reasons, for we are not fools. These are all afterthoughts.

SOP violation, if any, will be handled in the normal course within the concerned organizations in reviews etc and appropriate actions will be taken. I am sure every armed action has had some such issue and they were addressed or improved upon subsequently. PR has always been a problem and this sudden concern for PR is like a wolf crying for a goat getting wet in the rains.

The motivation needs to be understood. From the beginning, it has been an unabashed attempt to paint this operation as a 'lethal use of force' against either an innocent boat or at the most a small-time smuggling outfit. What was left unsaid but needed little imagination to understand was that the Modi-Doval-Rajnath combination is engaged in bravado, disproportionate response etc all leading to a grave situation with Pakistan.

I will not accuse *all* those who peddled the unedifying line as traitors but I am convinced that they are influenced by the US which does not like the robust response, which has not only been openly announced by the Modi government but which is also following through with it. Most probably, the US privately advised India to tone down which was rejected or went unheeded. So, it is making attempts through other means to discredit the government and build-up opposition to its much-more-tit-forDonna's phone is shut off, changeover pains. Probably back late PM. FYI-tat policy which is unheard of in 67 years India's meek existence (except twice, may be).
The effect has been to create a propagandu handle for pakis and all other adversarial entities. Check the paki media: every single one of them, without exception, is trumpeting the Indian Express "report" to say that India was up to something underhanded. It is a near-certainty that Western media outlets will do the same.

The net effect is to increase the cost--tangible and intangible--to India of waging this war.

There is also a psychological and political aspect. It is a show of force by the enemy to say, look we can do this--smugly peddle lies--and there is nothing you can do to me in retaliation. And thanks to the FUD siwn by the media and the congis, and thanks to the somewhat squishy response by the GOI and the security forces (BRF had much more clearheaded and logical responses) it now becomes the norm to presume that there is something fishy in the official version of every security-related incident, pointing, at the very least, to ineptitude on the part of the services. Observe how chackojoseph keeps shifting the goalposts, circling back to the same themes, and presents a graded series of charges starting with insinuations of something sinister having happened, and culminating with, "the real issue is that they botched the PR."

We are, whether we like it or not, in the midst of a cultural civil war. The other side consists of generally low-caliber individuals, but has the advantage of having ingrained instincts for organizing and propaganda. Our side, fir the most part, has talented, high-caliber and upright individuals who are (mostly) appallingly naive when it comes to propaganda warfare.

If things don't change and we don't learn to fight back effectively, the other side will, in effect, win on points, since, like the paki army, their definition of winning is to thwart India's sense of destiny.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

UlanBatori wrote:To paraphrase from the movie 'Patton':
No oiseule won a media war by dying of ulcers for his pov. He won it by making the OTHER oiseule develop ulcers for HIS pov.
A gem of a post that should be saved on the first page of the media watch thread. Agree with every word of it. Yet, sadly, I get the feeling that oiseule's of the past were baby oiseules compared to oiseule's of the present. The current set of oiseules are incapable of feeling shame. They can be mocked and shamed in the eyes of others, yet they are so delusional or more likely so sold out and without any real conviction that they continue on like dogs howling at the moon, a perpetual annoyance. Take for instance the remarkable character currently trolling this thread. Despite Ramana's much justified warning, this guy just can't take the decent way out. He insists on being dragged kicking and screaming thorough the mud and filth on the way out, kicking up as much of it as possible on to the valuable fellow posters of this forum. His delusional devotion to the fainting beauty of Indian defense is well known, so are his political biases, yet he has no shame when called out on them. Funny thing is that he had made a pathetic farce of being offended previously in another thread and stomped out in a huff, vowing never to return. Yet, this person shamelessly came crawling back, perhaps hoping no one would remember. On that day, I realized this man has no shame or honor, yet even I stand surprised at the depths that he can sink to. No amount of rationality or reasoning would work on oiseules like this and his kind have bred like a plague in the Indian media scene. The best we can do following your suggestions is shine a light on their duplicity and reveal them to be the jokes that they are. Making them retract or apologize is out of the question.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

chackojoseph wrote:They chased for an hour etc. With more experienced assets, the outcome could have been different.

And pray instead of one hour they chased for 10 minutes would it have changed their ability to immolate themselves when they knew they were losing out ?
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

I suggest to lock the thread. The news is no more breaking news.

-Ankit
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

^That would just shift the discussion to the Naval thread. There are some people who insist on dragging this on. Unless something is done about that, this circular pointless discussion will go on and on.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

I think we should not allow *ISI mouthpiece* comments to derail the discussion on this thread.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

chackojoseph wrote:They chased for an hour etc. With more experienced assets, the outcome could have been different.
but but, is not it was a CG boat? a CG heaviest gun is 50cal machine gun. and even 10,000 rounds (CG boats carry onree a 1000 rounds) pumped would not have blown up the boat onree punch holes and sunk the boat bit this boat caught fire and blew up to smithereens (praise be to Mahadev CG boat was out of blast radius) what other experienced assets would have achieved? apart from HD fotos of course.
BTW IMVVHO HD fotos of pakes blowing up to jahanum would have been nicest New year gift, no? on this count me is Sir Chako of Joseph
them CG have no right whatsoever to deny me of me pleasure.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Niran - main armament is a 30mm CRN-91 gun + 2 12.7mm HMGs plus a variety of 7.62mm weapons. The firing was done with a 7.62mm LMG from the reports to date.
RamSuresh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RamSuresh »

Mr Chacko

I came across this post of yours in your facebook page. Did you really mean this statement?

"I am sure the hotel will deny it. Who will want food served in utensils washed by her? Or she is faking it."

http://i61.tinypic.com/vzy71j.png
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

The disgrace of a man deleted it, now that you have exposed him. Well done, RamSuresh.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Himalay wrote:Chackoji.. Pak terror boat got eliminated ....this is the best outcome isn't it?
It is only if 'secular' GoI does it. When a proud Hindu PM at the helm it is a bloody outrage.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

we need a thread for tracking all anti nationals working with main stream media. In this thread every article coming from printed and TV media which have a hint of controversy will be screened and a database generated so that the particular so called journos can be nailed for spreading disinformation and hatred.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

I think now you get an idea when I saw his FB page. It clearly shows how and where his bias is but covered with an air of "journalistic sophistication".
Last edited by member_28108 on 10 Jan 2015 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

chackojoseph wrote:By default, naval ships are tasked to take on such threats.
chackojoseph wrote:Navy is the main constituent in taking out this threat.
chackojoseph wrote:....is a dead give away that this was not a boat that had the potential to threaten the security of India..
CJ, here are my views on why ICG & not IN, intercepted the terrorist boat.

Firstly, the arrangement for coastal security existed for decades, earlier than 1993 Mumbai blasts (that was also seaborne landing of explosives).

Basically Coastal Police under State Government patrols territorial waters, Coast Guard up to EEZ, and Navy beyond.

Needlessly to say, patrols are coordinated. By coordinated patrols, I mean, as a hypothetical example, from January 1 to January 15, IN OPV will patrol an area while from January 16 to January 31st, ICG OPV will patrol the area.

So if an incident happens when an ICG aircraft or ship was sent to track, then it doesn't mean that because IN was not involved, the threat was of low priority .

A parallel example would be LAC in Ladakh. Some posts are manned by ITBP and some by IA. One cant say a Chinese incursion against ITBP post is of lesser priority than a Chinese incursion against IA post. All incursions are a serious threat.

Now, whenever an incident happens, typically the same organization deals with it, because of better cohesion. For example, incase of Chinese intrusion at ITBP post, more ITBP troops are rushed in. It doesn't mean IA is idle, it’s just waiting in the sidelines.

If you look at the distribution of forces, historically, IN has a small presence in Gujarat.

IN has only two Forward Bases at Porbandar & Okha with no permanent ships or aircraft deployed. It has a UAV detachment at Porbandar (maybe a full squadron now).

However, ICG has a massive presence in Gujarat.

Daman is Coast Guard’s first, largest & only Air Station under its complete control with 750 squadron flying Dorniers and 841 squadron flying Chetaks.

Porbandar has an air enclave with its own separate Dornier flight and 850 squadron flying ALH.

http://www.indiancoastguard.nic.in/Indi ... ation.html

Coast Guard Region North West has the highest density of bases & ships

Bases at Pordandar, Pipavav, Jakhau, Mundra, Veraval, Vadinar & Okha. I counted 29 ships based in Gujarat, including 1 OPV, 2 FPV, 5 Hovercrafts and 21 Interceptor Craft/Boats.

http://www.indiancoastguard.nic.in/Indi ... ion_NW.pdf

Goes without saying that Coast Guard is best positioned to deal with any terrorist passing Gujarat waters.

I’ll post later on seaborne terrorist modus operandi, and what makes debris untraceable. Its quite time consuming to type.
Last edited by tsarkar on 10 Jan 2015 16:22, edited 2 times in total.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

For some so called *jurnos* logic does not count .. only lifafa counts. For some even lifafa does not matter they do stuff out of hatred of a particular party. To throw dirt on an individual they will sell their own country happily down the drain.
Last edited by pankajs on 10 Jan 2015 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

PratikDas wrote:The disgrace of a man deleted it, now that you have exposed him. Well done, RamSuresh.
In Kannada we say "Kumbalkayi kalla hegalu muttkondnanthe"- the pumpkin thief touched his shoulder (when told that it had stained his the thief's shirt) .That's why the urgent delete. If one were so strong in your convictions and knew it was right and truthful , one wouldn't have to delete it. But then - he did.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

UB ji, I think the distance of Mongolia provides some rationality. Thank you for the rational inputs. We all are getting wild haired after a hair brained CT.

a) An aggressive posture on defence of Indian borders (also visible in Kashmir)
b) Authority downstream to go for the kill (as in 'a' above)
c) Future fate of "samudri dakoos'
d) Pirates of the Arabian ply on routes to Gujarat, Maharashtra, Oman, Iran etc.
e) Apart from Gold, Alcohol, FICN, Narcotics, high sea sales of arms and ammunition could be happening regularly. Am I missing something? How about Human smuggling (both to and from Pakistan)
f) Powerful drug lords of Pakistan are friends with powerful tea drinkers in India
g) A 26/11 is a boat ride away. Next time they could try Cochin for all you know.
h) The Coast Guard needs more boats, weapons, helicopters, dorniers and yes UAV's

and yes, a dead paki whose body is not found will not be claimed by paki govt so we will not have to bother with Pak government anyway.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

I don't mind people having bias. We all do. But what I found increasingly disturbing is these BJP haters (or Hindu haters??? may be I am going too far)...so these BJP haters when they score own goals over national security and pride. It is very disturbing. That a proud Indian will never do.

This is a different kind of terrorist-within we are talking about. Foreign terrorist, anti national elements find sanctuary in such people.

If pen is mightier than gun, then these terrorists must be treated even more severely, shouldn't they?
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

abhijitm wrote:I don't mind people having bias. We all do. But what I found increasingly disturbing is these BJP haters (or Hindu haters??? may be I am going too far)...so these BJP haters when they score own goals over national security and pride. It is very disturbing. That a proud Indian will never do.
That is what is worrying - of course one can have bias - at least be honest about it. if one is a journalist at least one should be honest enough to declare conflicts of interest.

Prasanna
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Sorry to intrude on this fine debate, but this is an aspect that I saw in passing, and dismissed as "OK, someone will laugh at this in due course". But...

What is the speed of a smuggler's boat, relative to a Navy or Coast Guard ship, please? The sea is a rather large place with a pretty flat surface, as I hear. So it is possible for one ship to detect another, at some distance, say 4 miles, maybe 10 miles. If pursuit is adopted, the pursuer's speed must be greater than that of the pursuee, which is why it usually hard to catch smugglers' speed boats.

However, when the sea state is not so glassy, smaller boats are at a disadvantage, and larger ships move quicker.
Someone should please look up this point.
Larger ships can travel faster for a given sea-state (i.e., wave height, wavelength etc). Smaller ones will bounce around and not even get traction (propellers may not go under the water, but front may). So the situation is different from James Bond zooming on a lake or backwater.

I hear that 40-45 knots is very fast even for warships. Let's say Indian Coast Guard ship can do 40knots. Can Paki smuggler/pilgrimage boats do 35 on high waves? If so, the closing speed is only 5 knots. Meaning, if they race for 1 hour, they will close the distance by 5 nautical miles.

If the detection was done 10 n.mi apart, then it will take AT LEAST 2 hours to close the distance. Here it took only 1 hour? That was a FAST intercept by ocean standards.

Do Indian journalists have the basic arithmetic ability or common sense to figure this out, or grasp it when explained to them real slowly? If not, I suggest with all due respect that they stick to stuff that they CAN figure out, like where their thumbs are relative to their (never mind).
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

tsarkar wrote: So if an incident happens when an ICG aircraft or ship was sent to track, then it doesn't mean that because IN was not involved, the threat was of low priority .
I basically agree to what you are saying. This threat was low priority. I stated that explicitly that this is not a terror boat capable of endangering Indian security.
Himalay wrote:Chackoji.. Pak terror boat got eliminated ....this is the best outcome isn't it?

CG or Navy, What difference does it make? Our security agencies were up to the task and eliminated the threat, That is what finally matters.

Appreciating efforts of those involved, is the least we can do... instead of engaging in such futile discussion.
Himalayaji,

There is no intention on discrediting what CG did. They may not have eliminated a "terror" boat, but the machinery did identify a threat and ended it. So, rest assured, there is no discrediting.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Arunji:
I get the feeling that (distinguished debators) of the past were baby (distinguished debators) compared to (distinguished debators) of the present.
Every generation feels this. However, one might want to ask around re: such legends as 'Somnath' (of "Slaughter of Democracy" fame) or the great VinayLalAss-ociateProfessorOfHistoryAtUCLA who found himself cornered, insisting that the Presbyterian Church of North America was a Violent Hindu Nationalist Outfit.

Like 'smuggler's boats' traveling 0.1mph slower than the top speed of the Coast Guard boat, one just has to keep up until they do a 'selfie', staying a safe distance. :mrgreen:

To keep it relevant, the problem here is that the Coast Guard did NOT try to board the Pakistani Innocent Pilgrimage Motor Ship (PIMPS). So it was not possible to do what Alistair MacLean reported in 'South By Java Head' or in 'Guns of Navarone'. They had a helicopter stationed far enough above to be out of AK47 range, they had no SAMs, and a Coast Guard ship within zoom lens range. And 300 kms off shore, these were just going to follow them, and prevent them from returning to TSP. The PN was not going to help. Few options left.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

To add to that, the grave danger is that a future Indian CG-IN interceptor ship might indeed try to draw close and board a 'suspect' PIMPS, to 'avoid' the rush of oiseules.

They should get clear instructions to NOT do so. Make the buggers swim in the buff to be arrested, or tow them on long lines to shore for interrogation. Don't get within 200 m for sure.

IOW, SOP ****MUST**** be that if a PIMPS appears to be under control, and is deliberately disregarding orders to stop, then blast it out of the water and analyze what wreckage is left.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 10 Jan 2015 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

KLNMurthy wrote:We are, whether we like it or not, in the midst of a cultural civil war. The other side consists of generally low-caliber individuals, but has the advantage of having ingrained instincts for organizing and propaganda. Our side, for the most part, has talented, high-caliber and upright individuals who are (mostly) appallingly naive when it comes to propaganda warfare.

If things don't change and we don't learn to fight back effectively, the other side will, in effect, win on points, since, like the paki army, their definition of winning is to thwart India's sense of destiny.
+1. Well articulated.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

where Chacko's interest lie can be figured out from this discussion
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... &start=920
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

My humble suggestion is to send the gheeless cretin(s) to board the suspect vessel to find out if the *tourists* are pilgrims or smugglers or terrorist.

That should satisfy the cretins and keep the CG/IN out of harms way. Of-course when the *tourist* decide to self-destruct both the cretins and the nation will have the answer. No confusion will remain after that as far as *that* op is concerned.

I am devastated that such a great opportunity was wasted.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Errr, CJ, I said the boat WAS a terrorist boat.

I was correcting your perception that just because ICG intercepted it does not make it low priority or harmless.

If you read my whole post, then you'll realize that ICG has higher number of assets in Gujarat rather than IN. So its logical ICG was designated to make the intercept.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

tsarkar wrote:Errr, CJ, I said the boat WAS a terrorist boat.

I was correcting your perception that just because ICG intercepted it does not make it low priority or harmless.

If you read my whole post, then you'll realize that ICG has higher number of assets in Gujarat rather than IN. So its logical ICG was designated to make the intercept.
I read it. But, the terror boat claim is yet to be verified by the govt. So, I am waiting. If they conclusively say that it was terror boat, then it is a terror boat.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Chacko, the boat occupants were running from our security forces for 1 hour and then they killed themselves. These were high grade suicide terrorists.

Smugglers would have thrown contraband overboard and that's it.

Why are you being so dense yaar?
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Eklavya,

Good logic. You are the first person in the forum to give a good argument.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

If neither the CG nor the Navy had detected or followed the boat, do you believe the outcome would have been different? What is the worst thing that could have happened?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

jeez.. what outcome chacko boss, are you expecting to have happened on high seas? They just self-immolated on seeing Indian ships. They would have done so even with any advanced/experienced assets [and what asset are you talking about?]. The only way to take them out is firing at them.. and the case is not like a ransom or some hostage crisis where some women and children are kept at gun point and the story differs in that they would not kill themselves if that is the objective for ransom.

Indian media not only tries to misrepresent facts with their own agenda, but on top of it argue for the lost cause. It is sad state of affairs that no country in the world should face.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

chackojoseph wrote:Eklavya,

Good logic. You are the first person in the forum to give a good argument.
Oh boy! now we go again. Chacko ji, you would have saved all a lot of trouble if you had read this thread properly. Eklavya ji had posted this idea on page 2 of this thread, before you started out on the thread.
eklavya wrote:This was an attempt to infiltrate terrorists into India. If it were just smugglers they would have thrown their maal overboard at the first sign of trouble. The fact that they were trying to run away means the people on board had a mortal fear of being caught and questioned. Definitely an ISI operation. Praveen Swami and his ilk are just disgusting useless journalists.
If you liked his logic now, I am sure you would have liked it then.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

OK, guys. He is not going to reply, I am afraid.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

I guess this thread have outlived its purpose i.e. it exposed the unhealthy mindset of our so called defense jurno. He hates a particular regime and so he questioned the achievement of a successful COIN operation undertaken under the leadership of this regime even questioning the integrity of our armed forces. People here have exposed his biased mentality and thus the lies he have scribbled.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

We will keep this thread a little bit longer to see if any further developments occur before closing it.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

As I had hoped/expected, the new way forward is, and should be:
Stringent security in place on Indian coastline, says Navy Chief wrote: "We have 51 stations, 20 of the Navy, 31 of the coast guard which have been integrated as part of the analysis and the management center which will be put to place in Gurgaon. These are all measures to leverage technology so that we can keep our coastal areas under surveillance," he said.
My very first post on this topic had posed the question related to this "integrated" data center.

This quote is clear about one thing: That there is a great overlap, between the Navy and the Coast Guard, when it comes to data sharing. As it should be in 2014/15 - data fusion is the way forward for such agencies (as it is for other government agencies).

Given this (data fusion) the old ways of doing things (IF terrorist then IN, smugglers then CG) is not the way forward. There should be an area of overlap, where either can respond.

What was the SOP, what was practiced all these years will be revised.

This particular incidence was within that overlap. It was not so great a threat for the Navy to step in and small enough for the Coast Guard to deal with. either could have done the job.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

This thread is serving a great cause....

sometime back if my memory serves me right the said desh-dhori had left BRF for a period of time... he was pushed to a corner(someone correct me here)

but after a cooling of period he came back and now i can say back with a vengeance....

this time he is sticking longer after being pushed to a corner only because his masters want him to....

by now its clear where his loyalties are.... atleast to 90% of BRF... longer this thread is kept alive the rest of BRF will be forced to acknowledge the game he and his likes are playing.