India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Re: India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

Post by Sagar G »

The issue here is not removing contract employee but the way the person was removed and that too a respected scientist.

DRDO staff ‘shocked’ by its chief Avinash Chander’s removal
Another DRDO official felt it was "rather poor handling" of the whole issue by the government.

"Why was the notification put online before being communicated to DRDO? I think DoPT could have handled it better."

This official added that the way Chander was asked to go gave an impression that scientists were not respected.

"What kind of impression does it give? That scientists are not respected, that they are below politicians and bureaucracy," the official said.

Some of his colleagues were unhappy that Chander came to know about his exit through the media.
GoI should own up and apologise to Shri Chander and take disciplinary action against errant official for the DoPT fiasco.
HKumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by HKumar »

d_berwal wrote:

You want to us believe in bat-shit crazy theories about MSM, IAS, CIA, MSM, Congis.. but it is so hard for you in believe in a simpler theory of ineptness and incompetence on part of Modi Govt. Occam Razor if you will.
It not about AC its about INDIA.. AC is genuine but stuck in middle of thing wrong whit this country.

Do yo want COAS to be a contract post? if yes then AC contract termination is wrong.

oh forgive me then. I didn't realize the country needs batshit crazy theory to protect it from the attack of the 'older blood senior level contract employees' :(( . You never know what will happen when the 'older blood senior level contract employees' attack?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

HKumar wrote: - why because people are not willing to believe bat-shit crazy theories? so whats next all senior contract level employees are gone - with their termination letter on the internet?
HKumar'ji - so you do not think MSM+CONgIs are in bed with each other. Are you doing a "jaara congress ki taraf se defend kar dena" role here? Or are you defending #mediapimps?

Given a newbie, some word of advice for you. Just read up other threads and particularly the media threads.

Or your pain is because of contract letters given out on Internet?
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

@ HKumar

would you want somebody on contract to Head IA or Navy or AF or DRDO or ISRO.?

your answer will be my answer.

dont try and answer like CJ and MSM. (answer is Yes or No)
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Sagar G wrote: BJP having been in politics for decades should know well by now who in the bureaucracy in Delhi is closely associated with congress, if it doesn't then it will keep making a fool out of itself just like this case. Besides what are intel agencies there for ???
Actually my mistake - instead of calling it the CongI - I should have called it the C-System.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

chaanakya wrote:It was a UPA decision which gave in situ contract till May 2016 after his extension was to end in Nov 2014. ACC merely reviewed the contract and decided to do away with it. Funny that MMS govt issued such order which is nothing but deviant behaviour of UPA govt. Actually UPA could have given him extension till he died of natural causes or prematurely as well , who cares. He ignored the signal given by PM during speech to DRDO scientists. He could have said that after his extension he would not like to continue on contract and left the choice to Govt. PM objected on appointment being contractual and he did not want to have any in such a sensitive post. That is his call not that of MOD. And I think better not to trust UPA decision.
No need to portray Shri Chander a UPeeA boy now, he is a well respected scientist. Their isn't any material suggesting the same so why this sudden moment of enlightenment about him being from UPA era ??? BJP has been in power since May and Shri Chander retired on November after which his contract came into force. What stopped BJP from refusing to enforce the contract and ask him to gracefully retire ??? In fact the MoD under BJP itself gave the news about his extension through contract which frankly surprised me as well. If BJP didn't want him to continue fair enough but then why humiliate a respected scientist this way ??? The PM could have objected much before, nothing stopped him from doing that before as well. Shri Chander is a government servant he will do as directed, the previous government gave him his orders which the present one didn't change and wilfully accepted it till now when suddenly he is a big burden !!! This whole affair smells of mismanagement.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Sagar G wrote:
GoI should own up and apologise to Shri Chander and take disciplinary action against errant official for the DoPT fiasco.
Agreed. This should have been done immediately but it looks like GoI was taken by surprise and put on back foot. Not good. The premature posting online is the most damaging and it will take a LOT to repair the damage. Net-net, a setback for India.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

NaMo is not known to take any decision lightly or in vein. He is allowing the cronies of UPA to continue in their post. Except one Lt Guv no Governor was terminated. Most of the appointees serving on regular basis were allowed to continue their term. That includes cab Sec and HS. Allowed COAS to join and serve his term. So I would not find fault with his decision on this contract appointment. He is allowed to continue till 31 Jan and can gracefully bid farewell unlike what Rajiv Gandhi did, if you remember the incident abt ex-foreign secy.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

disha wrote:Actually my mistake - instead of calling it the CongI - I should have called it the C-System.
It's the same thing as far as I am concerned. Modi should crack the whip more firmly on the C system which he has failed to do yet or he is going pretty slow about it. Whatever be the reason if he fails to crush the trojan horses quickly then he will keep facing such fiascos.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

chaanakya wrote:He is allowing the cronies of UPA to continue in their post.
Oh so now Avinash Chander is a congressi crony !!!

Please remind me of your contribution to our strategic deterrence.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

There will always be disgruntled elements in any given hierarchy in any Bureaucracy. The leaks have to be found and plugged, time and again, every time. There is no rest. This is how govts. are run. By catching the offenders and going after more potential offenders.

This case seems to have been initiated+instigated by a bunch of similar elements. RM cannot have known any better because it seems at least one of the players in this has been in operation since NDA-1 and he has made attempts at trying to get information from the Indian Defence Journalist Community, that can be shown to be bad for DRDO (surprisingly they seem to have rebutted his attempts).

The order is dated 13.01.15 and this disgruntled element seems to have filed an RTI on 14.01.15, asking for the minutes of the ACC meeting and the related file notings. This RTI mentions the background as and attaches a copy of the “Termination of the Contract of Shri Avinash Chander, Secretary, Department of Defence R&D-cum- Director General Research & Development, Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri with effect from 31.01.2015″. Obviously to make this RTI you need the first document that creates this context which conviniently gets created as the order gets uploaded for a brief period. As if that is not a coincidence enough. The RTI activist asks for the formal minutes. Notice AC is also the SA to RM and the RM would hardly have had any purportedly incriminating information on his own advisor (RM could fall into trouble and we cannot afford that - not negotiable). Not to say that there is any real information that should be seen as incriminating AC. AC could himself be a target (exactly like Nambi). Even Tessy Thomas seems to be a target which leads me to suspect that the real target could be the DRDO/Agni itself.

It is obvious from this point on RM, AC and GoI need to be seen separately (ie. at arms length relationship). If RM himself is not kept in the loop then obviously somebody wanted it that way.

But a govt has to run its decisions based on its own assessments. It cannot wait to call on or seek the permission of its supporters/voters. Indian and Western media is running reports with 'Sacking'. An order that is to take effect on 31.01.15 can obviously be communicated anytime before that (+notice delivery presumption period) but the RTI activist, the Indian Media and the Foreign Media has to work in tandem. Why must it be so?

Personally I am happy with the GoI. Off course there is scope for tightening the babus even further. But that is an ongoing game - ie. getting the better babus to chase out the rotten ones.

BJP as a political party should have been able to do things better by exposing these people in the MSM. God knows why he Media cell did not pick it up.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Sagar G wrote:
No need to portray Shri Chander a UPeeA boy now, he is a well respected scientist. Their isn't any material suggesting the same so why this sudden moment of enlightenment about him being from UPA era ??? .
Ohh he is , willy nilly a UPA boy, despite being well "reputed" scientist. I have no doubt about him but only about UPA decision. Now why did it take so long> Come to think of it he was on extension on regular service. Which is perfectly ok. His contract started only in Nov and could have been under review. Think of NaMo and ACC engagement. It does take time to collect and collate info before taking a decision. I think most people are not objecting to his "sacking" but the way Order was put on website. That is a standard protocol to send copy to NIC for uploading on website. Now NaMo wants quick action in everything so some smart NIC IT personnel put it up on website quickly as they are not concerned with congis and MSM reactions to perceived "insult" to their pet appointees. I think he is graceful and can continue to contribute despite such "insults" . He has nothing more to prove of his capabilities. Most people know that he was leader of DRDO Team which contributed immensely to Missile development programme. However it is strange to see this sudden love for scientists' respect by congis. They did not think twice before putting up a trash from MH to contest for President of India and did not agree to second term of Dr Kalam the Father of IGMDP, precursor of Agni etc.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

DRDO itself is one leaky department in all this. Seems like travel details, stay arrangements, and everything about senior DRDO officials is available for asking. With such a large size how the hell do they manage their secrecy.
HKumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by HKumar »

disha wrote:
HKumar wrote: - why because people are not willing to believe bat-shit crazy theories? so whats next all senior contract level employees are gone - with their termination letter on the internet?
HKumar'ji - so you do not think MSM+CONgIs are in bed with each other. Are you doing a "jaara congress ki taraf se defend kar dena" role here? Or are you defending #mediapimps?

Given a newbie, some word of advice for you. Just read up other threads and particularly the media threads.

Or your pain is because of contract letters given out on Internet?

disha ji - my pain is in multiple levels - in your binary logic of with me or with them, batshit crazy theories, speculations on Dr. Chander's integrity, inability of people to accept small infallibilities of current administration, the inept and incompetent handling of this issue, the belief that Modi knows best and it is ok to keep rest in dark.

I read this in a email signature and it has stuck with me for a few decades now - 'with age comes wisdom. sometimes it comes alone'.

I have posted my views already. please feel free to browse them.

I could easily turn this around and ask you - do you feel the need defend the ineptness and incompetence because you associate congis + msm as enemies of BJP and you need to defend the BJP no matter how ludicrous and ill-logical your argument sounds? How are you any different than the #mediapimps when you speculate on Dr. Chander's integrity in a public forum? arn't you pimping for somebody?
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

ravi_g wrote:There will always be disgruntled elements in any given hierarchy in any Bureaucracy. The leaks have to be found and plugged, time and again, every time. There is no rest. This is how govts. are run. By catching the offenders and going after more potential offenders.

This case seems to have been initiated+instigated by a bunch of similar elements. RM cannot have known any better because it seems at least one of the players in this has been in operation since NDA-1 and he has made attempts at trying to get information from the Indian Defence Journalist Community, that can be shown to be bad for DRDO (surprisingly they seem to have rebutted his attempts).

The order is dated 13.01.15 and this disgruntled element seems to have filed an RTI on 14.01.15, asking for the minutes of the ACC meeting and the related file notings. This RTI mentions the background as and attaches a copy of the “Termination of the Contract of Shri Avinash Chander, Secretary, Department of Defence R&D-cum- Director General Research & Development, Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri with effect from 31.01.2015″. Obviously to make this RTI you need the first document that creates this context which conviniently gets created as the order gets uploaded for a brief period. As if that is not a coincidence enough. The RTI activist asks for the formal minutes. Notice AC is also the SA to RM and the RM would hardly have had any purportedly incriminating information on his own advisor (RM could fall into trouble and we cannot afford that - not negotiable). Not to say that there is any real information that should be seen as incriminating AC. AC could himself be a target (exactly like Nambi). Even Tessy Thomas seems to be a target which leads me to suspect that the real target could be the DRDO/Agni itself.

It is obvious from this point on RM, AC and GoI need to be seen separately (ie. at arms length relationship). If RM himself is not kept in the loop then obviously somebody wanted it that way.

But a govt has to run its decisions based on its own assessments. It cannot wait to call on or seek the permission of its supporters/voters. Indian and Western media is running reports with 'Sacking'. An order that is to take effect on 31.01.15 can obviously be communicated anytime before that (+notice delivery presumption period) but the RTI activist, the Indian Media and the Foreign Media has to work in tandem. Why must it be so?

Personally I am happy with the GoI. Off course there is scope for tightening the babus even further. But that is an ongoing game - ie. getting the better babus to chase out the rotten ones.

BJP as a political party should have been able to do things better by exposing these people in the MSM. God knows why he Media cell did not pick it up.
RTI queries have 30 days lead time to reply. It seems quite fast that the activist filed the RTI request ( with accurate info of ACC decision) and got the copy/reply the very day ( come to think of it I read it here on 13th) of the order issued and query filed. Seems fishy to me. This smells of rotten congi fish sprinkled with MSM sh!t. Any link to this fact?
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ManuJ »

I had started accumulating respect for Mr. Parrikar as DefMin until this fiasco.
I don't question the govt.'s right to dismiss an official, but it has to be done right.
This matter has been handled so poorly that it boggles the mind.
If Mr. Parrikar felt it was time for a change, why didn't he let Dr. Chander know that and let him retire gracefully? Does anyone seriously think that Dr. Chander would have clung on to his post in spite of losing the confidence of his minister?
And his response to the reporters was even more incredulous - removed because of age?! Did Dr. Chander suddenly grow 5 years older in one month?!
What stupidity.

Also, if you want younger leadership, why not start with the political and administrative landscape? That's where younger leadership is really required and effective.
How many of our cabinet ministers are under 45? How many of our (full) secretaries?
In the scientific field, age is not a big factor and in fact experience is in high demand the world over. Especially the kind of experience Dr. Chander has.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

chaanakya wrote:Ohh he is , willy nilly a UPA boy, despite being well "reputed" scientist. I have no doubt about him but only about UPA decision. Now why did it take so long> Come to think of it he was on extension on regular service. Which is perfectly ok. His contract started only in Nov and could have been under review. Think of NaMo and ACC engagement. It does take time to collect and collate info before taking a decision. I think most people are not objecting to his "sacking" but the way Order was put on website. That is a standard protocol to send copy to NIC for uploading on website. Now NaMo wants quick action in everything so some smart NIC IT personnel put it up on website quickly as they are not concerned with congis and MSM reactions to perceived "insult" to their pet appointees. I think he is graceful and can continue to contribute despite such "insults" . He has nothing more to prove of his capabilities. Most people know that he was leader of DRDO Team which contributed immensely to Missile development programme. However it is strange to see this sudden love for scientists' respect by congis. They did not think twice before putting up a trash from MH to contest for President of India and did not agree to second term of Dr Kalam the Father of IGMDP, precursor of Agni etc.
If we start seeing scientists through the glasses of politics then Indian society is hitting rock bottom.

Basically you have nothing logical to offer to explain the current fiasco hence indulging in character assassination. It took four damn months post retirement to "collect and collate info" ??? You are passing this off as "argument" ??? Well if to remove a government servant on contract Modi requires four months then I think SC hit the nail on the head by asking whether BJP will clean Ganga in this term or the next. Modi's time taken to act against a contract employee also explains his inability to get hold of buffoons working in bureaucracy who don't even have the sense about when to upload an order. How come congresses show of disrespect to Dr. Kalam gave BJP the right to do the same to another scientist ??? Isn't by doing so BJP is behaving exactly like congress ??? I think you need to think your arguments through before indulging in andh bhakti of an individual.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Sagar G wrote:

If we start seeing scientists through the glasses of politics then Indian society is hitting rock bottom.

Basically you have nothing logical to offer to explain the current fiasco hence indulging in character assassination. It took four damn months post retirement to "collect and collate info" ??? You are passing this off as "argument" ??? Well if to remove a government servant on contract Modi requires four months then I think SC hit the nail on the head by asking whether BJP will clean Ganga in this term or the next. Modi's time taken to act against a contract employee also explains his inability to get hold of buffoons working in bureaucracy who don't even have the sense about when to upload an order. How come congresses show of disrespect to Dr. Kalam gave BJP the right to do the same to another scientist ??? Isn't by doing so BJP is behaving exactly like congress ??? I think you need to think your arguments through before indulging in andh bhakti of an individual.
Now you are indulging in speculation. Where did I assassinate his character?? Don't put word in my posts where none exists.
He may not be but UPA did favour him. That's all I am saying if you can comprehend english.

Well from the look of it It does seem to me that System took hardly 45 days before deciding upon it . And I have to "defend" or "offer" "logical " explanation only if I think it is a "fiasco" . It is not a fiasco as you and many others make it out. It is routine, normal.

you might want but then Govt is not obliged to offer you any explanation. I don't know what strategic deterrence you have contributed to deserve this respect from Govt.

This is mere ending a contract which Govt can do any time. that is what I am pointing out.

I am not sure why you think it is disrespect unless you are showing andha bhakti to some scientist, so to say. Take a congi line and sound like MSM, You get less credibility and traction. This issue will die down its own death and message will have been served to intended parties. That is what this Khujli is all about.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

What is at risk is the morale of scientific establishment. If one needs very talented people to work in DRDO etc. how many self-respecting people would be enthused if they think this is the treatment that would be meted out to them after a life-time of service to the nation, that too under difficult circumstances? It is not like they would not find employment elsewhere. Today's India is not an India of 1970s-80s when there were no too many jobs available nor avenues for doing advanced research.
UPrabhu
BRFite

Post by UPrabhu »

From NDTV

Sources have linked the sacking to the government's displeasure at DRDO's latest innovation, a battery-controlled silver chariot built with costly materials for a temple in Maharashtra. The chariot has been criticized as a waste of time and money when projects such as the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, Nag missile, long-range surface-to-air missile project and the Airborne Early Warning and Control System have been delayed by many years and have seen several cost overruns.

Also, I feel you must make way for newer people on retirement. Chander was kept as DRDO chief after retirement because UPA could not take one proper decision for crying out loud.
HKumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by HKumar »

Sagar G wrote:

Basically you have nothing logical to offer to explain the current fiasco hence indulging in character assassination. It took four damn months post retirement to "collect and collate info" ??? You are passing this off as "argument" ??? .

To be fair - they had to collect and collate and then staple. Stapling is very important you know. what happens if you collect and collate and then forget to staple? Someone like RM Parrikar may not get the memo about the decision taken on an employee reporting to him. Oh Wait...
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

chaanakya wrote:Now you are indulging in speculation. Where did I assassinate his character?? Don't put word in my posts where none exists.

He may not be but UPA did favour him. That's all I am saying if you can comprehend english.

Well from the look of it It does seem to me that System took hardly 45 days before deciding upon it . And I have to "defend" or "offer" "logical " explanation only if I think it is a "fiasco" . It is not a fiasco as you and many others make it out. It is routine, normal.

you might want but then Govt is not obliged to offer you any explanation. I don't know what strategic deterrence you have contributed to deserve this respect from Govt.

This is mere ending a contract which Govt can do any time. that is what I am pointing out.

I am not sure why you think it is disrespect unless you are showing andha bhakti to some scientist, so to say. Take a congi line and sound like MSM, You get less credibility and traction. This issue will die down its own death and message will have been served to intended parties. That is what this Khujli is all about.
Unnecessarily bringing in the UPA repeatedly to insinuate some foul play from Avinash Chander's part, oh yes your attempts to assassinate his character is well noted and a part of internet history now, anybody can look up.

So what if UPA favoured him ??? Got some personal enmity with Avinash Chander ???

From 16 May 2014 BJP is in power and it took till yesterday to ask Shri Chander to leave !!! FYKI he was already on extension post retirement so BJP could have asked him to leave much earlier instead of waiting out all this time. Why did't it do that ??? Yeah a "normal routine" where even the DM is caught dumbstruck :lol: no wonder you don't have anything "logical" to offer just like Parikkar.

Well I do hope that the Government has etiquette enough unlike few posters here to offer an explanation to a respected scientist who has actually contributed to strategic deterrence.

I have consistently pointed out the irresponsible way the contract has been ended, if you consider this as professional behaviour then I won't waste my time further on you.

Unprofessionalism and uncouth behaviour get my goat and GoI has ended up displaying both, funny that both the things have been hallmark of congress which BJP is now displaying and like congressi minions defending their masters some posters are doing the same. Of course the issue will die down but just like the UPA rule it will leave a scar, anyways if Modi has an iota of brain then he will try his machismo on better targets instead of getting into fist fights with the scientific community.
UPrabhu
BRFite

Post by UPrabhu »

http://headlinestoday.intoday.in/progra ... 04682.html

I am glad this govt. is decisive. He might be a great scientist but is he a good administrator? Even the judiciary was stepping in. Govt. had to act.

It is shameful to see entire lab posing infront of a silver chariot made with taxpayers money.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 0QW-IbDEfU
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

DRDO was put on notice long back. Here is the report of his speech in MSM

Narendra Modi extremely unhappy with DRDO’s failure to meet deadlines in delivering products
BHAVNA VIJ AURORA, ET Bureau Aug 23, 2014, 11.10AM IST

Avinash Chander perhaps did not think it fit to heed to advice of PM then, it seems. Otherwise he would not have recommended extension to many scientists and would have made arrangement to put five labs under charge of young scientists. DRDo's delivery on projects would have come under heavy and close scrutiny.
NEW DELHI: When Defence Minister Arun Jaitley commissions Indian Naval Ship Kamorta on Saturday in Vizag, it will be bereft of the critical mediumrange surface-to-air missile (SAM) and advanced light towed array sonars (ALTAS) — both of which Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has failed to deliver.

This is not the first failure for DRDO, the only body in the country doing research in the field of defence systems. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had commissioned INS Kolkata on August 16 in Mumbai. That too was without the crucial long-range SAM systems and ALTAS.

Extremely unhappy about the state of affairs, Modi has put DRDO on notice
. With the government approving 49% FDI in defence, the PM has asked the tardy organisation to shape-up in the face of competition from the private sector. Officials in the security setup of the country told ET that Modi has asked the defence minister to conduct a detailed review of the organisation, and if need be come out with a white paper on it.

Modi personally delivered a stern message to DRDO, asking the officers to give up their "chalta hai" (lackadaisical) attitude, during the annual award ceremony of the organisation on August 20
. The PM had started the DRDO clean-up project even before he attended the award function. He ordered scrapping of a committee that was reviewing cases to grant extension of service to scientists, who had superannuated. The committee sent its recommendations to the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.

As many as 15 top scientists of DRDO, including Director General (DG) Avinash Chander, are on extension. Chander, in fact, is now on contract after two extensions. Incidentally, he holds three posts — Secretary (Defence) R&D, DG (DRDO) and Scientific Advisor to the defence minister. It was the previous ACC, under the UPA government, comprising Manmohan Singh, AK Antony and Sushil Kumar Shinde that had granted him extensions and finally appointed him on contract in November 2013. About six to eight people were believed to be getting extensions each year in DRDO.

"The PM was not happy about it. As per a department of personnel and training (DoPT) ruling, only the best scientists of international stature should be considered for extensions. He asked for all the details. He was told about the high attrition rate among the younger scientists," disclosed a senior defence ministry official.

The review committee, scrapped by the government, comprised secretaries of Department of Atomic Energy, DRDO and ISRO as members. Modi is believed to have said that the secretaries of the same departments could not review extensions of their own personnel. He has now constituted the committee to include the Cabinet Secretary and secretaries of unrelated departments of science and technology and earth sciences.

"It is to weed out the dead wood that Modi made the announcement about employing only young scientists, not over the age of 35, in five of the 52 DRDO labs. It is a beginning and will send the message to everyone working in DRDO to deliver," explained the defence ministry official.

DRDO spokesperson Ravi Gupta could not be contacted for a comment.
Now the report must have come before ACC and must be damaging. Dead wood needed to be out. Intention was clear from the beginning and AC failed to make graceful exit. It is not that he would not have known this coming. Shock it may be to many of his blind followers.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

MODERATOR NOTE

Support or denounce GOI actions. But wild unsubstantiated speculations on a respected scientists political affiliations, possible actions which might have embarrassed/hurt the country, effectiveness, kids will attract immediate warnings.
HKumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by HKumar »

UPrabhu wrote:From NDTV

Sources have linked the sacking to the government's displeasure at DRDO's latest innovation, a battery-controlled silver chariot built with costly materials for a temple in Maharashtra. The chariot has been criticized as a waste of time and money when projects such as the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, Nag missile, long-range surface-to-air missile project and the Airborne Early Warning and Control System have been delayed by many years and have seen several cost overruns.

Also, I feel you must make way for newer people on retirement. Chander was kept as DRDO chief after retirement because UPA could not take one proper decision for crying out loud.
UPrabhu wrote:http://headlinestoday.intoday.in/progra ... 04682.html

I am glad this govt. is decisive. He might be a great scientist but is he a good administrator? Even the judiciary was stepping in. Govt. had to act.

It is shameful to see entire lab posing infront of a silver chariot made with taxpayers money.

is that from the MSM and #mediapimps ? You do know that they in bed with the C-system and are ensuring that this Dr. Chander termination issue get bad publicity for Modi Govt ? You shouldn't believe anything you read in MSM according to some old timers here.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

As far as Agni series is concerned, I am not too sure how many of them have made it to Army or to Strategic forces control on active deployment? Care to point out some?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

disha wrote:
Karan M wrote:If you want to not keep the guy because of age, dont give an extension in nov. and then withdraw it in 4 months. its inept handling.
and then for parrikar to say a) hey guys, beats me, saw it on tv and then b ) hey i know about it, it was age!! is just plain weird. left hand, right hand and all that.
It is a post-retirement contract not a confirmed employment position. Sometimes it is prudent to give a long term contract with termination at will clause - since you want some continuity till a suitable replacement is found.

Funny thing here is why Sri Chander got so long contracts from the CONgi sarkar but did not see such kindly treatment to Dr. Saraswat or to Dr. Kalam?

And generally running the entire DRDO by a contractor - that concept only stinks! Glad that GOI corrected it.
nov 2013, there was a BJP govt in power. it was well within their capabilities not to have given the contract to chander. to first give it, and then withdraw it in such a haphazard manner smacks of either inept handling or tokenism. dont know which is worse.
UPrabhu
BRFite

Post by UPrabhu »

Karan M wrote: nov 2013, there was a BJP govt in power. it was well within their capabilities not to have given the contract to chander. to first give it, and then withdraw it in such a haphazard manner smacks of either inept handling or tokenism. dont know which is worse.
What are you smoking? BJP govt. in power since May 26th or 28th 2014. Election results declared on May 16th 2014.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

d_berwal wrote:
Karan M wrote:If you want to not keep the guy because of age, dont give an extension in nov. and then withdraw it in 4 months. its inept handling.
and then for parrikar to say a) hey guys, beats me, saw it on tv and then b ) hey i know about it, it was age!! is just plain weird. left hand, right hand and all that.
sounding more like CJ....

The new DM was is just taking charge and shaping things for future, why you wanna support contract culture at this level.

as per your logic VK should be made Cheif on Contract?
as regards your stupid comment about cj - or should i bring up your behaviour and denial on the t-90 thread?

if the policy states contracts are allowed and the BJP govt first puts him in place, then it smacks of mishandling to remove the person in 4 months.

take your blinders off and acknowledge what is what.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Karan M wrote: nov 2013, there was a BJP govt in power. .
Are you sure you were following Election Thread??
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

UPrabhu wrote:http://headlinestoday.intoday.in/progra ... 04682.html

Dr. Avinash isn't even in that pic !!!
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

"Morale of Employee " is very specious argument. New people , if selected properly and enjoy confidence of current bosses, have very high degree of morale and zeal to prove themselves. Implicitly they are also on notice as they would be aware that performance matters.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Karan Ji its novel 2013 not 2014. Even I was confused.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

UPrabhu wrote:
Karan M wrote: nov 2013, there was a BJP govt in power. it was well within their capabilities not to have given the contract to chander. to first give it, and then withdraw it in such a haphazard manner smacks of either inept handling or tokenism. dont know which is worse.
What are you smoking? BJP govt. in power since May 26th or 28th 2014. Election results declared on May 16th 2014.
is being polite hard for you or are you smoking something hence projecting?
it was a typo. the contract began from nov 2014.

the point remains, why now? why this haphazard method of making a notification?
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 890201.cms
NEW DELHI: The sudden termination of the services of DRDO chief Avinash Chander has not gone down well in the premier defence research agency where many feel the issue has been handled poorly by the government.
any govt has the choice to not persist with the previous regimes appointees and even change policy (eg no contracts) but this stupidity "Chander himself was not told about his sacking and learnt of it through the media." smacks of callous behavior from the neta-babu combine. you dont treat people who work for decades & with merit in this manner.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Sagar G wrote: Dr. Avinash isn't even in that pic !!!

Did you see PM's Signature in the order that you blame him for??
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

chaanakya wrote:
Karan M wrote: nov 2013, there was a BJP govt in power. .
and you havent ever made typos?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

chaanakya wrote:

ACC is headed by Modi isnt it? This smacks of two sides of the govt making decisions that neither communicates to each other. this was exactly what folks were pointing out when they said jaitley handling MOD and Finance and Modi micromanaging all combines into a possible mess. classic case here. unless they intentionally wanted to humiliate Avinash Chander and I do think NaMo and co are better than that.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Karan M wrote:
chaanakya wrote:
and you havent ever made typos?
Many. :D
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

chaanakya wrote:

Aren't you the one who is going all gaa gaa goo goo about Modi doing the right thing and yes I read the news about ACC headed by PM taking the decision.