Republic Day 2015 - News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: Republic Day 2015 - News and Discussion

Post by Vayutuvan »

Kashi wrote:^^ I half-expected Telangana to come up with Charminar, Nizaam and Biryani. Of course it's there in bits but far from the Tipu monstrosity we saw Karnataka put up last year.
So no expectation of notredam, pope, and cake from AP?
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

I kind of like Pranab Mukherjee for all his faults as a congressman. Good to see him reach the highest post and adding dignity to the office
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

SwamyG wrote:
SaiK wrote:why are most performers from various state looking fat? is it my resolution?
Dude you need to let go and enjoy. People come in all shapes, sizes and color. Thus is not Mr.universe or Ms universe. Just enjoy the moment.
Dilli kids while talented and all seemed, how shall I put it, rather well fed and a little chubby.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

matrimc wrote:So no expectation of notredam, pope, and cake from AP?
If YSR (or even Jagan Reddy) was still there then probably yes.

With KCR, it was expected such because him and his daughter have been extremely vocal about the merits of the Nizam rule and their actions appear to have matched their words. Given the fact that Karnataka put Tipu on display last year, KCR was well expected to follow the MIM template.
Last edited by Kashi on 26 Jan 2015 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

At 1:24:00 in the live parade. Is that Shinzo Abe?? Why is he in the audience? Did NaMO invote him?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Bheeshma wrote:At 1:24:00 in the live parade. Is that Shinzo Abe?? Why is he in the audience? Did NaMO invote him?
You're looking at last year's live parade. He was the 2014 chief guest. This year's parade is at
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

Oops..thanks a lot.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

mchilian wrote:[0quote="rajsunder"]
SwamyG wrote:Totally kommunal song from AP :rotfl: :mrgreen:
I hated the fact that in telengana tableau they had to sicularize by inserting nizam.
Given the penchant of their CM to praise Nizam and his glorious rule before being unfairly attacked by India, its surprising they even showcased that much native culture.[/quote]

What are your opinions about J&K including Muslims in the float?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

saravana wrote:I kind of like Pranab Mukherjee for all his faults as a congressman. Good to see him reach the highest post and adding dignity to the office
He has also loosened the stiff rashtrapati bhavan rules and supports the inexpensive public tours of the place.
All should try it when visiting Dilli.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

matrimc wrote:What are your opinions about J&K including Muslims in the float?
J&K is 69% Muslim, the valley is 99% Muslim.

Telangana is 12.4% Muslim, most the them concentrated in Hyderabad, Adilabad and surrounding districts.

So what's the purpose of your question again?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

That question was for mchilian. In any case, all are Indians or not? What was the purpose your original comment other than to hurl abuse at TG? In an case, I am sure PM is not as close minded.

On another note, mr Kurshid was whining that PM should have been a little more generous and gave some credit to UPA 123. The chutzpah of the man and congI in general us unbelievable.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 26 Jan 2015 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
member_28851
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28851 »

Didn't saw the tableau of some states like West Bengal, TN, Kerala, etc. They weren't invited or didn't participated?
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Any guesses as to who'll be the next year's chief guest?

I reckon it'll be either SL president Sirisena or South Korean president Park.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Kashi wrote:Aakash looks so menacing. I wish Arjuns were there too.

lca and arjun.

arjun instead of the t 90
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Singha wrote:the army continues its strange and obsessive fascination with the T90 and BMP2.

of all the stuff in its kitty it had to find these two to lead the parade ! sigh - some things will never ever change.

good that Uttarkhand had kedarnath as theme.

Assam had the vaishnavite Majuli island rather than Dhaka masjid I was expecting under current regime :roll:

tried and tested republic day display.

arjun hasnt cleared the "feasible for republic day display" trials yet.....nor has the lca
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

matrimc wrote:That question was for mchilian. In any case, all are Indians or not? What was the purpose your original comment other than to hurl abuse at TG? In an case, I am sure PM is not as close minded.
Sorry for butting in and it was not my purpose to indulge in abuses against anyone. I don't know if you have followed KCR, the CM of Telangana recently, but his government has actively taken to propagating the Nizam's regime. is daughter who is MP went on to say this
Jammu and Kashmir and Telangana were both formed forcefully and at the same time annexed to the Indian union. When I say I feel strongly, it’s because we were both separate countries, but were merged with the Indian union after independence. In 1947, we were not a part of India. After 1947, we became a part of India. Then the troubles really started.
http://www.telanganatalkies.com/what-tr ... ivil-code/

So given all this, it was reasonable to expect that the Telangana tableau would be high on themes associated with the Nizam rule and other cultural themes would be downplayed if not relegated to the background. That it did not happen, was a surprise and relief to quite a few including myself.

Now where is the question of abuse or being close-mindedness here?
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Kashi wrote:Any guesses as to who'll be the next year's chief guest?

I reckon it'll be either SL president Sirisena or South Korean president Park.
Ajeet Koomar Doval will ensure that it is the prime minister of Baluchistan
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

The expectation itself is and the subsequent surprise. Or was it more cognitive dissonance? We have to give the man CM ?KCR the benefit of doubt unless you are if the opinion that TG should not have been granted. I think differently obviously. But yes, I have been following both AP and TG.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 26 Jan 2015 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Lee Myung Baek was chief guest in 2010. It would be highly unusual for SoKo to get another invite so soon. Sirisena would be a good option.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

matrimc wrote:The expectation itself is and the subsequent surprise. Or was it more congenital dissonance? We have to give the man CM ?KCR the benefit of doubt unless you are if the opinion that TG should not have been granted. I think differently obviously. Bad yes, I have been following both AP and TG.
Sorry mate, but your post seems to be all over the place. I am not sure what you are trying to say here.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Suraj wrote:Lee Myung Baek was chief guest in 2010. It would be highly unusual for SoKo to get another invite so soon. Sirisena would be a good option.
That's true, then it seems Sirisena is more likely. Also, the then heads of states of Australia, Germany or the UK maybe possible candidates.
member_28352
BRFite

Post by member_28352 »

Did I just see the CRPF marching contingent dressed in Khan style helmets, camo and carrying Tavors?
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

ShankarCag wrote:Did I just see the CRPF marching contingent dressed in Khan style helmets, camo and carrying Tavors?
Yes, they were from the COBRA unit.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Kashi wrote:
matrimc wrote:That question was for mchilian. In any case, all are Indians or not? What was the purpose your original comment other than to hurl abuse at TG? In an case, I am sure PM is not as close minded.
Sorry for butting in and it was not my purpose to indulge in abuses against anyone. I don't know if you have followed KCR, the CM of Telangana recently, but his government has actively taken to propagating the Nizam's regime. is daughter who is MP went on to say this
Jammu and Kashmir and Telangana were both formed forcefully and at the same time annexed to the Indian union. When I say I feel strongly, it’s because we were both separate countries, but were merged with the Indian union after independence. In 1947, we were not a part of India. After 1947, we became a part of India. Then the troubles really started.
http://www.telanganatalkies.com/what-tr ... ivil-code/

So given all this, it was reasonable to expect that the Telangana tableau would be high on themes associated with the Nizam rule and other cultural themes would be downplayed if not relegated to the background. That it did not happen, was a surprise and relief to quite a few including myself.

Now where is the question of abuse or being close-mindedness here?
Both telengana and andhra are desperately pitching for central funds after having announced the waiver of the farmers loans. They would both be treading on eggshells, not wanting to piss off the powers that be.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Merkel is a good choice too. Another high profile option would be normalization of relations with Taiwan and an invitation to the Taiwanese head of state as a symbolic seal of closure to the agreement.

There seems to be an unspoken view in New Delhi that the UK PM is not to be invited. Only one of them has ever had the honour - John Major in the early 1990s. The only other UK invitee is their geriatric old woman who wears our stolen jewels, way back in 1961, too long ago to matter. Despite all his pappi jhappi, Cameron hasn't ever gotten an invite.

On the other hand, the French have had Valery Giscard d'Estaing, Chirac (twice) and Sarkozy invited. Even Brazil had Cardoso and Lula invited within 10-15 years of each other. France and Brazil are the two major countries whose leaders have been chief guests twice within a decade recently. USSR had several chief guests within a decade or so - Zhukov, Voroshilov, Kosygin, all between the 1950s and 60s.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

mahadevbhu wrote:
Singha wrote:the army continues its strange and obsessive fascination with the T90 and BMP2.

of all the stuff in its kitty it had to find these two to lead the parade ! sigh - some things will never ever change.

good that Uttarkhand had kedarnath as theme.

Assam had the vaishnavite Majuli island rather than Dhaka masjid I was expecting under current regime :roll:

tried and tested republic day display.

arjun hasnt cleared the "feasible for republic day display" trials yet.....nor has the lca
single engine craft are banned from 1/26. Too many birds at 1000 feet. The LCA will never have an air display at 1/26. Arjun has been a part every year, LCA was on a truck last 1/26.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

other options singapore, vietnam, burma, RSA.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

On another note, mr Kurshid was whining that PM should have been a little more generous and gave some credit to UPA 123. The chutzpah of the man and congI in general us unbelievable.
Any inclusion of j&k mirpuris in republic day parade amounts to a statement of subjugation of TFTAs by SDREs. Just like the elections in j&k.

Case of MIM is a bit different. They consider themselves Indians but want to use the political process to re-establish nizam rule in which aam Telugu Venkats and Yellammas were practically invisible.

So it makes sense to resist MIM's attempt to regain overlordship by excluding nizam symbols whereas the opposite (forced inclusion) makes sense with J&K mirpuris.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

matrimc wrote: Dilli kids while talented and all seemed, how shall I put it, rather well fed and a little chubby.
Misphortunately this is the way Indian kids are going. When we apply equal nutrition for all - it somehow still comes out as a bell curve. So you have kids taller than before and fatter too.

I have seen this change in the last 25 years since I returned to India. Even back then I used to be taller than most young people - but now many youngsters are taller than I am and have better looking bodies than "back then"
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

^^ I concur. Even the higher secondary school kids at my place are taller than me and am shade under 6 feet. Including a few girls.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Rahul M wrote:other options singapore, vietnam, burma, RSA.
veitnsm, taiwan, south korea, bhutan, sri lanka, afghanistan (yes, even ghani), burma (both the general and the lady to cover bases), thailand, mauritius, maldives, philippines!, malaysia. all the neighborhood is eligible.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

saravana wrote:I kind of like Pranab Mukherjee for all his faults as a congressman. Good to see him reach the highest post and adding dignity to the office
He is a smart guy, corrupt but patriotic in the Jagjivan Ram/yeshwantrao chavan mold. If Sonia had allowed him to be the PM he might have been more like PVNR and less like MMS.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

saravana wrote:^^ I concur. Even the higher secondary school kids at my place are taller than me and am shade under 6 feet. Including a few girls.
tallness is good, the roundness could not be ignored. i tried.
ishaan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ishaan »

We should invite the Israel President / Prime Minister, which is long due...
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

KLNMurthy wrote:He is a smart guy, corrupt but patriotic in the Jagjivan Ram/yeshwantrao chavan mold. If Sonia had allowed him to be the PM he might have been more like PVNR and less like MMS.
I believe that was the thinking behind not letting him become the PM. PVNR was assumed to be a lameduck and he turned out to be his own man, sidelined all the Gandhi loyalists in the party including Rajmata and her family themselves. The family had no intention of letting the history repeat itself.

Plus, there's some history there, Rajeev Gandhi had expelled Pranab from Cong. (I) in 1986 for egging some senior leaders to revolt and openly question the leadership. So, the Gandhi family may never have fully trusted him even after he came back.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

matrimc wrote:The expectation itself is and the subsequent surprise. Or was it more congenital dissonance? We have to give the man CM ?KCR the benefit of doubt unless you are if the opinion that TG should not have been granted. I think differently obviously. Bad yes, I have been following both AP and TG.
OT but Telangana (which is now my home state) has to push back against MIM aggression. I am sure it will, TG people won't give up their culture and religion so easily, inspite of KCR lacking proper historical perspective. Glorifying Nizam is a very un-Telangana, even anti-humanistic action, condemning that is not the same as discrimination against Muslims.

BTW I loved the Bonalu float(whichthe DD announcer mispronounced as Bonali) with the bright-eyed ladies and amma vaaru. I wish they had also a sammakka-saarakka theme in keeping with nari-shakti.
Last edited by KLNMurthy on 26 Jan 2015 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

ishaan wrote:We should invite the Israel President / Prime Minister, which is long due...
Leaving Netenyahoo out is not a bad idea. The guy is a kook -- wants to go address US kaangress without Obama admin invitation. He also does not represent his population. There is a bit of corruption bubbling at top levels in israel, and 1/26 is not the right venue for controversy. I vote (have not a vote) for small neighborhood contries, east, not farther than korea.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Shreeman wrote:
ishaan wrote:We should invite the Israel President / Prime Minister, which is long due...
Leaving Netenyahoo out is not a bad idea. The guy is a kook -- wants to go address US kaangress without Obama admin invitation. He also does not represent his population. There is a bit of corruption bubbling at top levels in israel, and 1/26 is not the right venue for controversy. I vote (have not a vote) for small neighborhood contries, east, not farther than korea.
Viet Nam is optimal choice. Those guys are the Romania/Hungary of Asia in their math prowess plus we don't have to learn an alien writing system to communicate with them.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

King of Saudi Arabia gets my vote. I can't even remember any state visit.

General trend there is toward more educated warlords.

Let us expose him to our culture.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The just deceased King Abdullah was chief guest in 2006.