Indian Autos Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
asgkhan
BRFite

Re: Indian Autos Thread

Post by asgkhan »

After 1350 kms of riding here is an honest rider's perspective.

Pros:
Torque - I have overtaken at a low speed with a sudden burst of speed by just twisting the throttle a bit. No hesitation or lugging of the engine.
Stability - Rock solid on the road, even if trucks overtake me, the bike barely flinches.
Comfort - For the rider, the suspension is awesome, I dont feel anything when going on small potholes and bumps.
Range - 20ltrs of tank capacity, I fill it once in fort night, no frequent stoppages at fuel pumps.
Brake - Front brake is awesome, just a little bit of pressure and it stops calmly minus any drama.
Vibrations - butter smooth at 60, shudders at 40-50 kms, but above 60 the bike is humming.

Cons:
Pillion - Sucks for the pilion as the impact gets directly transfered from the butt to the spine. I have had soft padding done, has helped a bit.
Neutral - Easier to find a intelligent paki in pi$$awar than finding neutral. I get neutral when changing to 2nd or 1st, or I get the 1st or 2nd gear when coming to traffic stops. Still unable to figure out how to get it right.
Gear shifts - Hate it, it is spongy and I am not even sure if I have changed it. Hopefully after the 3rd service it should improve.
Rear brake - No bite, no stopping power, beast keeps on rolling despite pumping hard.
Cheap plastics - I paid 2 lacs and all over the bike, it has cheap plastics. I shudder thinking when things will start to crack and break.
Instrument console - Vibrates and shudders and moves like as if it is going to drop off anymoment.
Noise - I get a irritating tick tick sound. But everybody says, it is common for UCE and will go away after 10 k kms.
Front brakes squeal when pressed. Front brake assembly is touching the disc. SVC center monkeys say they need entire day to set it right.

All in all, I am happy with the bike. Everyday the feeling of getting the beast out on the road gives me immense excitement.

Safety gear:
SOL Helmet
Leather gloves
Need to upgrade to armored jacket and gloves.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

I have Thunderbird 500cc. I suggest you go for Continental GT. The bike looks fantastic and has premium feel all over it.

But keep in mind that pillion seating is comprised and there is no thump. The engine is free revving and smooth.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I saw the jutoob presentation of bajaj pulsar cs400. that is a bike!
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Ajatshatru wrote:Bhailog, a pooch...the last time I rode a motorcycle was more than 2 decades back, when in College...but seeing the recent discussion on BR, even I am now tempted to buy a Royal Enfield. For members on this forum who already own a RE, please could you suggest a model of RE? Went to RE's internet site and can see they are selling nearly a dozen different models...not too keen on the "Thunderbird" model (if one has to buy a cruiser, might as well buy a Harley). Please could anyone suggest any another model of RE. Thanks.
Don't wish to pour cold water on your plans but if you are in a city like Bangalore and have not been riding for say last 5 or more years you might not enjoy it anymore , if you have to cross say silk board/kr puram/marathahalli on a daily basis to work you are talking about sitting on your bike for a good 15-20 minutes ingesting fumes and trying to chug along on the 1st gear in bumper to bumper traffic. Mind you there are people who ride these daily to work but they either really love doing this or simply do not have a choice.

Now if this is primarily for your weekend getaways outside the city and you indeed wish to put in ~INR 1.5 lakhs on something not for daily commute then yes RE is a real deal . However continental GT is not for long rides , it's low slung and narrow handle bars would mean you will have to bend your spine and lay low for most of the ride , I mean it is a cafe racer after-all and was made for riding within city limits . Thunderbird is the best long touring bike from RE stable if you want older but classic look then buy a classic . Iiirc Bullet is their entry level range.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

But then I would precisely ask for go on the bike if you can manage the pollution using some gas masks.. pl remember, sitting in a car does not decrease your ingestion as against on the bike.

The advantage of bike is you can easily maneuver in a crowded place like Bangalore. But what kind of bike is your choice.. as long as you are comfortable in using them, and have fair amount of confidence that you wont put yourself in risk considering a family rest on your income.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

is the honda CBR 250 a good option for weekend rides? is it light enough not to need very strong upper body to control and park?

I never learnt how to ride a bike or scooter, but its never too late for the next mid life crisis purchase!

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/ ... -fun_3.jpg
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Start with a Yamaha R15 V2 . It comes in 150cc range engine but it has got enough acceleration to satisfy an enthusiast in desh who wants to ride within speed limits. 4-5 years down the line then you can switch to a Triumph Speed tripple . :mrgreen:

http://www.bikewale.com/triumph-bikes/speedtriple/
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I am having a great experience with my(well wife's actually) ecosport..soft steering, nimble size, huge ground clearance, roomy, lots of features...its a great car for indian situation.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Singha wrote:I am having a great experience with my(well wife's actually) ecosport..soft steering, nimble size, huge ground clearance, roomy, lots of features...its a great car for indian situation.
Same here and except for 0-10Km traffic the ecoboost engine is a hoot to drive with good handling to light and Hydraulically mounted engine.

GD sar you back from driving those exotic V-8's in Massa? Any plans to Turbo charge your civic to a 200 BHP variant in India?

There are huge downsides, I keep a scooty so that SHQ and me can use for local shops and trips in the area. Biggest advantage, you can park litrelly everywhere, biggest disadvantage -safety, there is always some unexpected pothole, oil mud and water on Indian roads which can make you fall off, besides clothes always get a bit dirty.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

GD what kind of FE numbers are you getting in namma bengaluru ?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I get around 15kmpl so far in city per the display. 1.5 ltr petrol (no turbo) and 6 speed dsg transmission. the engine is not punchy thrust like a Mig29 but more slippery like say a JSF with no external store :twisted:
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Boss Singha Ji are you driving off peak times, no way you can get those figures in Bumper to Bumper traffic in any petrol or even many Diesels. Are you travelling on long trips and using NICE road?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Well ok so the display on cars gives two FE numbers one average and another instantaneous , so for my case when I start to work the instantaneous figure starts from say about 6km/l mark and by the time I reach office it usually is between 10-13 km/l depending on the kind of traffic I encounter on Marathahalli bridge and old airport road. For my calculations I just take an average by doing (6+12)/2 = 9km/ltr. My commute is ~8.5 km one way.

When I went to Goa via NH4 I could maintain a constant 18km/ltr figure for about 400 kms at a stretch and I was doing 100-110 kph at about 2500-3000 RPM.

GD I guess you are going by instantaneous reading from your display so actual figure would be lower mostly around 10-11 km/ltr I guess. The average FE figure on meter I guess is for entire tank usage so one cannot use it for checking FE on daily basis.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

yes I figured there some anomaly there. my commute is onlee 6 km round trip for the last 4 yrs now.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Saar are you reading the Avg kp/h instead of km/l display/. Negi you are talking about Maruti set up which gives only instanteous.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ I do not know about Ford but on my Polo you can toggle between Average and Instantaneous FE , the former will give you average consumption for your trip (so unless you reset your trip meter it will do an average over the entire duration). The Instantaneous reading on the other hand gives you FE figure in real time for it keeps changing every few hundred meters depending on how you drive. So what I do is I take the high and low instantaneous readings and take a mean of the two to get some approximate estimate for my one-way FE.

As per my friend in Massa who was a mechanic in an auto workshop short trips are not good for FE , you basically reach the destination by the time engine gets warm and over a period of time the engine starts burning rich , not sure if this is a technically sound observation.
Last edited by negi on 30 Jan 2015 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

In Ford, instantaneous is a through a bar graph in the instrument console, Trip meter toggles- each needs to be reset individually, Distance covered, Avg kp/l, Speed alarm, Avg kp/h, DTE (cant be reset), total odo km. Thats why i suspect GD is reading Avg KpH instead of Avg KPL.

I reset distancce covered, Avg KPL and Avg KPH when my fuel light warning appears.
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

negiji
Please share your experience with polo.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Well for technical details you might want to check teambhp but then those guys are MUTU+British all packed into one, they have at least 10 threads on Polo TSI or GT TDI but afaik not a single decent one on the standard petrol version. Anyways first things first whichever version you buy it is a actually a 2 person car not that the rear room is really bad but the space in front 2 seats is simply huge. Secondly it is a driver's car , it sits low, has nice wide stock tires, decent power on tap even in normal 3 cylinder petrol (my benchmarks are m father's i10 and colleague's 120 petrol) and most importantly because it is wide, low , heavy and awesome suspension(I am not a rash driver but I at times don't slow down as much as I should over speed breakers and despite it's 165mm clearance I have never scrapped the underbody in Blore, yet) it has pretty good road manners , all in all it is a nice car to drive. Having said that if you are buying a car for family use i.e. 4-5 people capacity, FE is a factor and long term ownership costs are more important than say road manners then Polo is not for you. All that heavy metal sheets for chasis and doors and use of thick plastics for interiors makes it a rather heavy car in it's segment so your engine has to put out more more to maintain a decent P:W ratio so FE numbers are not that great , again when it comes to Petrol Germans can never match the refinement and FE of Japanese or Korean engines so my Polo in Bangalore B2B traffic gives me about 10-12 without AC and with AC at lowest level I get just 9km/ltr, on highway I get a constant 16-19 km/ltr depending on how fast I drive. A Swift or i10 will give you at least 1-2 kms more per liter in same conditions.

If you are buying a petrol hatch and Polo highline is in your budget I would suggest check out the i20 elite , drive it and see if you like it because on all other fronts it beats the Polo hands down , it is more spacious, loaded with features and comes with good after sales support from Hyundai. Remember Hyundai's petrol engines are quiet (not as quiet as Honda's but VW's petrol engine sounds like a small diesel mill).

The only reason why someone will buy a VW Polo petrol over 120 elite petrol is because of VW badge , latter was not in market when I bought the Polo else I would bought the i20 elite.

Having said that Polo 1.5 TDI or it's GT versions both TSI and TDI are different cars , they are proper enthusiast's cars and they do not have any competitor as such .
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Ajatshatru wrote:Negi, I am not based in Bangalore. And you are right, will use it primarily for weekend getaways outside the city...

Thanks to the suggestion by ASG Khan (about issue with the chrome model), have ruled that model out...may book Classic 500 or 350 (these two models have some months booking)...
There is a vast difference between 350 and 500 variants.

++ves
Good for commute
40+ average
Easy on maintenance

--ves
Once you ride a 500, you get the feeling that you have been cheated out of the awesome torque.

++ves
Torque
Power
Feeling of GOD :D

--ves
Average of 25 + kmpl
Higher maintenance cost

Think before you book. If you are looking at weekend rides, go for 500. It will smoke any competition. 350 is a compromise, no matter how you look at it.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Singha wrote:is the honda CBR 250 a good option for weekend rides? is it light enough not to need very strong upper body to control and park?

I never learnt how to ride a bike or scooter, but its never too late for the next mid life crisis purchase!

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/ ... -fun_3.jpg
CBR 250 and other sportz bike are not easy on the back. Weight gets transferred to the wrists and its a pain.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

cbr 250 is more of a tourer and doesnt have that aggressive racy posture. unlike say, the R15.
the upcoming pulsar 200ss from bajaj is also more of a tourer while its cousin ktm RC200 is more aggressive.

cbr is not vfm though. it's also on the last phase of its cycle. better to wait a few months for a slew of new bikes that will hit the market.
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

Thanks negiji.
I had a test drive this afternoon. I am quite used to the ship-like pitch-yaw feel I get in my 17y old Zen. Huge upgrade it will be.
On the mileage, a lot depends on the traffic conditions. Over here, it is certainly better than Bengaluru.
Maintenance cost is the only concern now.
The target date is still a few months away unless destiny intervenes to advance it.
Sudip
BRFite

Post by Sudip »

Tata Indica & Mahindra Bolero chosen amongst 7 worst cars of the world: Car & Driver Magazine
Tata Indica Vista: It’s common practice at cheap-car dealerships to disable the odometer—and therefore the speedometer—so new cars never age, so we’re not sure at what velocity the steering wheel began wobbling in this Tata. Whatever our speed, the brakes on the Indica Vista don’t conspire against you, the cabin is quiet, and the engine could be considered civilized. The plasticky interior isn’t much worse than that of a last-gen Toyota Yaris, save for the persistent glue stench and the grease left on our fingers after adjusting the steering column. The clutch pedal feels as stretchy as string cheese, though, and there’s nothing even close to a discernable engagement point. A key point in the Indica’s favor: Its high ride height is a blessing on South Africa’s potholed rural roads. This one’s basically a real car.

Mahindra Scorpio Pik Up Double Cab: After chatting up a Mahindra salesman in his dead-empty showroom, we figured a quick test drive would be no problem. Sorry, he said, he was too busy being “the only one here.” With his work ethic duly established, we could only perform an informal walk-around of a Scorpio, the pickup that nearly launched in the U.S. during 2011. Now we’re sort of glad it didn’t make the trip to North America. The panel gaps inside and out could accommodate the width of four stacked quarters, the door handles hung loose, and the brush guard looked as if it were welded over a gas grill in some guy’s backyard. And believe us, the boxy, 1980s-style aesthetics that look sort of retro cool in photos are pretty cheesy in person. Mahindra supposedly builds a tough truck, but we’re not sure this model would have found enough buyers here—even at cut-rate prices—to keep it from being swept straight back to India.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

even the new tata zest more or less falls into same template...I never understand why they do not trim and close the gaping panel gaps , same for M&M.

and since the driver and his pax spend 99% of the time inside than admiring the outside, the quality of plastics, switches, handles, upholstery matter a lot more than the outside looks imo. this is where again MUL is barely passable and Tata well below par.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Sudip, i dont believe the the article is true representation of SA car segment. I have been in SA quite regularly for last 7 years and i am seeing more and more of Tata and Mahindra vehicles out there. Tata Indica is quite popular in just graduated high school crowd (brand new 600 R/month, 5 year road assist) and doing reasonable business. Tata trucks (small and mid segment up to 10 t) have captured big market in recent years and giving good competition to many Japanese and European brands. My extended in laws are in trucking and have started seeing many Tata trucks with their fleets. Mahindra is doing roaring business in rural SA. Except the look, a reliable robust Mahindra truck which doesn't quite is quite popular in the farming community. I have seen many white farmers with Mahindra pick ups. Apparently, the mentality is to buy brand new Mahindra cheap, put to vigorous task for 5 years and then sale it for whatever its worth (huge second hand car market). Having said that, Indian car manufactures will get lot of business if there is more reliable after sale service. My in laws only complaint about Tata is the spare parts availability. JMT.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Tata has tried to do some good things like projector headlamps on Zest , the console is really nice and that revotron engine is also good. I saw a few on road last month on my trip to Goa. I think reason why Tata and Mahindra are not investing more on aesthetics and quality is they do not see themselves as capable of competing against likes of Honda/Hyundai/Ford/VW they basically are happy with selling to the crowd which needs cheapest car in terms of initial cost , ownership and fuel consumption; that is why Indicas became a huge hit with taxi owners, for a small hatch it has a decent useful volume and comes with lifetime service package.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hyundai moved from a nobody in 1990 to somebody in 2001(10 yr warranty) to a powerful player in 2010.

do you think tata and M&M are on that track? I do not think so.

for that matter even toyota india seems happy to coast on taxi business - the altis is a luxury taxi, the innova is the darling of inter city taxis and the etios is a airport taxi!

honda took a huge beating initially and stopped selling the civic and jazz..but they have wormed back with a new diesel engine, amaze, brio and soon relaunch of jazz and a small suv based on brio platform.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Singha saar, Indian car manufactures are no were near other car makes as far aesthetics or built quality finish is concern. The joke in SA is that Tata is slang for an ugly chick you will do only when desperate and not by choice. SA drivers are speed monsters (had quite a few white knuckled experiences doing more than 220kmh on SA highways, absolute g**d phat pee in pants driving) and Indian Cars cant even manage 120Kmh (official speed limit). Lot of catching to do.
Last edited by vish_mulay on 03 Feb 2015 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Actually Innova is the best people mover in the country (not just for taxis, but even private), they are so damn successful that they are charging 18L for it (it was introduced for 9L IIRC). From a MPV, it has crept in to the entry luxury segment with out any "luxury" offerings and people still buy it because there is no other reliable choice at that price point.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

re: weight of bikes.. this take of unable to handle I don't understand.. once you are on the move, you don't carry the weight by the rotation.. if you have some momentum to maintain cg, then not much work. it might be only where you have to stop at signals (that might be plenty in bengaluru).,. but then, you have your legs to support.

heavier bikes have side stands.. so no lifting needed. side benefit is you get your muskills toned up a little bit.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

SaiK - Having owned a bullet, in most office and other parking lots putting side stand is not accepted, you need to put in on the main stand. So it is big pin when parking, doing vegetable grocery shopping etc. Riding the weight is noot much of pain. Once in Hyderabad where I owned the Bullet Bike ran out of Petrol before climbing a slope on Roaad No 36 Jubilee hills, had a hard time pushing it up the slope.

Weight matters
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

I regret not going for the 9L version of the Innova years ago, and instead spending half of that for a Santro and feeling smart about it at that time. It really would have been more comfortable on Kerala's pot-holed National Highways for sure.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Yup! Bullet, esp. the 500cc oldie is a heavy beast. Many years ago one fell on my old teacher at school while parked. Powerful fellow, 6 ft tall. Shattered his thigh bone. He never walked properly again, could not run and had to use a cane. I have had a couple of close brushes with my bullet. I would not recommend it for inside city type driving. Bullet is meant of intercity, country road driving.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Aditya_V wrote:SaiK - Having owned a bullet, in most office and other parking lots putting side stand is not accepted, you need to put in on the main stand. So it is big pin when parking, doing vegetable grocery shopping etc. Riding the weight is noot much of pain. Once in Hyderabad where I owned the Bullet Bike ran out of Petrol before climbing a slope on Roaad No 36 Jubilee hills, had a hard time pushing it up the slope.

Weight matters
My Bike weighs 195 kgs all dry. My biggest fear is of dropping the bike. I respect the weight and torque and dont try any fancy maneouvres on the road. When I park, first thing I do is put the side stand and then get down.

In office parking lot, exceptions for side stands are given for bullets. If the security guard sees me parking the bike, he offers to help me put in center stand. However, there is a technique to put it on center stand. I can park it without any assistance.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Yes you can put it on Center stand, but it not easy compared to 125-150cc bikes. I was answering SaiK post saying weight of a bike does not matter, it matters as both our post says.
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

One can figure out the posture on a bike by comparing where the pegs (footrest) is in relation to where the hips are while seated. When the pegs are below the hips you will have to have a racing posture. When the pegs are between the handlebar and the hips you will have a more relaxed upright posture.
Last edited by Shalav on 06 Feb 2015 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

Centre-standing a bullet or any other bike is easy once you have the technique.

Put you right foot on the centre-stand and push it down, at the same time using your left hand on the left handle bar roll the bike back, it will easily climb into the centre-stand with the backwards momentum.
Last edited by Shalav on 06 Feb 2015 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

All this bullet talk is making me pine for one myself :((
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Partially dropped my bike when parking. The road was on an incline, the sidestand was resting on soft sand. When getting down the bike decided to drop. Luckily my left knee took the full weight and I managed to steady the bike.

Net result, no scratches, but a sprain in my back and right wrist.

Seeing the bike leaning, two guys ran to help me out in righting the bike :oops: :oops:

Hopefully no more lapses in concentration. This bike is brutal and unforgiving in its weight and torque.