Indo-UK News and Discussion - April 2013

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Re: Indo-UK News and Discussion - April 2013

Post by Karan Dixit »

I have always given Tharoor a benefit of doubt. But now I am convinced that he is an idiot.

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 237_1.html
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

vishvak wrote:
Karan Dixit wrote:All British male visitors to India must undergo background check by Indian authorities to ensure that they are not a pedophile. This is common sense actually given all the pedophilia coming from UK.
BBC itself, funded by the state (indirectly by public) never should have cared to let anything of such nature within, nor cared to not report such cases. link
There seems to be culture of silence or even protection of accused. link
The intentional lying by BBC to create hate against Indians can result in harm to innocent Indians. Therefore BBC should be considered a weapon. India is under no obligation to allow BBC and its operatives operate from India. There should be an inquiry of BBC by a body of the Indian government. If the inquiry finds that BBC is used by British government as a weapon to harm Indians then it should be banned. It is the duty of India to degrade weapons deployed against India, and BBC should be no exception.

Good thing is that majority of people in the world know that BBC is a propaganda shit-rag.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

GoI should puta ban on BBC, both reporting from India as well as broadcasting into India for the next 5 years for indulging in Rape Voyeurism. BBC has been following a concerted media campaign at the behest of fundamentalist christian organizations, to portray the majority of Indian males as favorably disposed to the notion of raping women. Through the documentary, they have tried to give the ostensibly rape-obsessed Indian male a face.

What this vicious campaign shows is the very deep seated racial hatred towards an independent minded India and British continued efforts to portray Indian society as degraded, so as to retroactively justify their occupation of India.

The fundamentalist Christian organizations backing BBC documentary simply want to package lies about Hindu men using the slick media operation.

GoI should use this opportunity to come down like a ton of bricks on BBC.

A 5 year complete ban would hit BBC in their market share. Let it hurt!
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Instead of Banning BBC outright it is better to Put a legislative framework in place with conditionalities which BBC would not be in a position to fulfill and thereby not continue their broadcast through
1. Program sharing
2. DTH
3. Participating in collaboartive telecast
4. Joint venture in which foreign media is a partner(BBC)
5. Co-producing
6. Reportage
7. maintaining India Office
8.Getting Work Visa and denial of Visa for people associated with such media.
9. make prior clearance of telecast of foreign produced documentary in India a mandatory requirement.

make it penal .
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-31749868
But the father of the victim described the film as "the bitter truth" and said everyone should watch it.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/150305/n ... wing-delhi
But the father of the victim said the comments should be exposed publicly. "Everyone should watch the film," he said to a news channel.

"If a man can speak like that in jail, imagine what he would say if he was walking free," he said, describing the documentary as "the bitter truth".

The victim's mother said she did not object to the ban but believed Singh's views were widespread in India.

"I don't care what the government does, bans the film, doesn't ban the film, the only thing I know is that nobody is afraid," she said.

"It is not only Mukesh who thinks like this."

Home Minister Rajnath Singh told parliament on Wednesday the government sought the ban because Singh's comments were "highly derogatory and an affront to the dignity of women".

Union Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu called it a "conspiracy to defame India", but several lawmakers criticised the government for appearing more worried about the country's reputation than about the dangers women face.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Please see this page to understand how important India is to the BBC. In the dropdown lists it is one of only 3 countries mentioned by name, the other 2 are USA and Australia.

BBC is independent, so is India, ban them now leaving them free so sell their wares elsewhere.

Also see rate card and see separate rate for "South Asia"

http://advertising.bbcworldwide.com/doc ... f?sfvrsn=8

Yeah, South Asia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and pukistan contribute a lot! Virtually the entire rate card is in effect for one country, India. Shut this revenue off.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2015/03/06/
The father of the victim of the attack said he watched part of the film, by British director Leslee Udwin, before its release. “I watched it for 15 to 20 minutes and my wife watched only a small portion–she couldn’t really stand it,” the father said.
Last edited by svenkat on 08 Mar 2015 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

There was some talk earlier of Modi visiting UK this year....hope this Leslie Udwin broad has completely and totally buried the idea of Modi stepping foot on that foul island for the next 5 years....That would certainly be one excellent result to come out of this whole sorry saga.

PS: As an Indian-American, I have to say I am appalled at the quality of Indian emigrants to Britain and their pusillanimous response to the BBC episode. Where are the aggressive HAF (Hindu American Foundation)- type intellectual Kshatriyas who can articulate the Indian POV in British media ?
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^
It appears all the intellectual Kshatriyas emigrated to the U.S. of A :lol:

And these great intellectuals have discovered the unique viewpoint of 1.25 billion Indians. :rotfl:
Last edited by eklavya on 08 Mar 2015 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Lisa wrote:Please see this page to understand how important India is to the BBC. In the dropdown lists it is one of only 3 countries mentioned by name, the other 2 are USA and Australia.

BBC is independent, so is India, ban them now leaving them free so sell their wares elsewhere.

Also see rate card and see separate rate for "South Asia"

http://advertising.bbcworldwide.com/doc ... f?sfvrsn=8

Yeah, South Asia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and pukistan contribute a lot! Virtually the entire rate card is in effect for one country, India. Shut this revenue off.
Important = Popular with viewers

Otherwise, why would anyone bother paying for advertising.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

svenkat wrote:http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2015/03/06/
The father of the victim of the attack said he watched part of the film, by British director Leslee Udwin, before its release. “I watched it for 15 to 20 minutes and my wife watched only a small portion–she couldn’t really stand it,” the father said.

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2015 ... us-debate/
The victim’s father told The Wall Street Journal on Thursday that while he supported the government’s restrictions on the film—“the government must have put some thought to it,” he said—he also felt that the documentary had succeeded in holding up a mirror to society’s attitude toward women. “It reflects upon our society what men think of our daughters, their views on women and rape,” he said.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

eklavya wrote:It appears all the intellectual Kshatriyas emigrated to the U.S. of A
Haven't seen anything to disbelieve that so far. Glad you agree :wink:
And these great intellectuals have discovered the unique viewpoint of 1.25 billion Indians.
Umm, but hadn't Leslie Udwin applied for patent on the unique viewpoint of half of those 1.25 billion Indians ? :lol:
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-fridayreview/home-still-in-their-hearts/article913658.ece
The film's producer Leslee Udwin cut a happy figure, giving beatific smiles,...
Unfortunately, Pakistan is not the safest place in the world to shoot a film. Our money guarantors would have backed out had we shot there as we have to work with clock work precision. So, we happily shot in the Indian Punjab. I discovered, it is the same place. there is just an artificial boundary. I hate boundaries. I hate borders, I hate stereotypes.:twisted:
And yes, though it is my film, India has some ownership rights too as the film has been shot in India and many of the key actors and crew hail from India. But then Pakistan has a right too as it has the story of a Pakistani man.”
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

A visual BBC chose to focus on while having the rapist talk of (?) disposal of the victim's entrails.Image
Last edited by svenkat on 08 Mar 2015 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I really cannot fathom who watches bbc in India.
In cable TV it comes along with al jazeera and cnn but
There are so many indian news channels I never get
Time for it. For world news I mostly watch cnn sometimes.

Even a 24x7 news hound like me not watching bbc
Indicates only lutyens elites with time on hand might
Tune in regularly.

With even ndtv a very low viewership infact all eng
News channels are likely cross subsidized by other
Channels under their groups....

Suffice to say I m clueless what keeps them afloat
Other than British taxes.

In America cable TV they r also there but nobody desi
Or bideshi gives a rats behind ...there r so many local
Chans.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^
So, why has the Government of India turned itself into the international marketing department of Udwin's film?

They also banned that Rushdie book and it went on to sell 10-100x the copies it would have sold otherwise.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Arjun wrote:
eklavya wrote:It appears all the intellectual Kshatriyas emigrated to the U.S. of A
Haven't seen anything to disbelieve that so far. Glad you agree :wink:
And these great intellectuals have discovered the unique viewpoint of 1.25 billion Indians.
Umm, but hadn't Leslie Udwin applied for patent on the unique viewpoint of half of those 1.25 billion Indians ? :lol:
The tax dollars of these intellectual Kshatriyas have funded $20bn and rising of military aid from the U.S. of A to Pakistan, it's major non NATO ally. All going according to plan, I hope.

The pro-India achievements of Preet Bharara, Bobby Jindal and Rajat Gupta are indeed awe-inspiring. Great going guys.

I heard at least a dozen viewpoints represented in that film. Not sure what you heard. The film is pro India; it shows how Indian society is rising against the scourge of rape.

Hear her interview: "this is not an Indian problem .... "

pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Was just going through the previous page. Posted on 16-Feb
Haresh wrote:The imperial nostalgia of Indian Summers should not blind us to the free, prosperous India of today

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... today.html
As Manmohan Singh, then the prime minister, put it in 2005:
If there is one phenomenon on which the sun cannot set, it is the world of the English-speaking peoples, in which the people of Indian origin are the largest single component.
The orientation of India is arguably the key geopolitical question of our age. If that mighty nation self-defines primarily as an English-speaking democracy rather than as an Asian superpower, the twenty-first century will be altogether brighter. George Bush paved the way for such an alliance when he accepted India’s nuclear status, and David Cameron has visited the country more than any other British prime minister.
Now one reading of the above is that Englishtan had a brighter future with Munna Mohan as India's PM. Does Modi's "India First", "Neighbourhood Next", "Act East" and "Asian century" acts automatically make this century that much darker for the poodle nation.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

If this is a world problem as she says , doesn't make sense to interview rapists at home or in the USA where rape is much more prevalent. Looks like she took a awful lot of trouble , broke several Indian laws , antagonized GoI, to highlight a world praablem.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^
Poodle nation is good at making TV dramas, documentaries and fighter jets. Unfortunately for them the Typhoon came 2nd in the MMRCA competition, so Cameron's trips got wasted.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Not many know this but poodle nation is also tops in money laundering and Banking secrecy driven business. Every time the discussion on black money comes up we automatically tag Switzerland but an equally big country in the game is Englishtan.

There are a number Cayman Islands,etc kind of territory that are tax havens. They are British territories but out of the preview of the common British law. Very continent. Fully half the Londonistan financial business would close down if these heavens were eliminated.
Last edited by pankajs on 08 Mar 2015 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Neela wrote:If this is a world problem as she says , doesn't make sense to interview rapists at home or in the USA where rape is much more prevalent. Looks like she took a awful lot of trouble , broke several Indian laws , antagonized GoI, to highlight a world praablem.
She says she was "compelled" by the Indian reaction to Nirbhaya's rape.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31698154
But what compelled me to leave my family and go to Delhi to make this film was not the rape itself, nor the horror of it. It was what followed.

Starting on the day after the rape, and for over a month, ordinary men and women came out on to the streets of India's cities in unprecedented numbers to protest. They braved a freezing December and a ferocious government crackdown of water cannons, baton charges, and teargas shells. Their courage and determination to be heard was extraordinarily inspiring.

There was something momentous about their presence and perseverance - reminiscent to me of the crowds that had thronged Tahrir Square in Cairo - a gathering of civil society that demanded a conversation that was long overdue.

It occurred to me that, for all its appalling record of violence against women and relentless rapes, here was India leading the world by example. I couldn't recall another country, in my lifetime, standing up with such tenacity for women, for me. And I knew at once that I simply had to use whatever talents and skills I had, to amplify their cries of "enough is enough!" which were reverberating across the whole world.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

pankajs wrote:Not many know this but poodle nation is also tops in money laundering and Banking secrecy driven business. Every time the discussion on black money comes up we automatically tag Switzerland but an equally big country in the game is Englishtan.

There are a number Isle of Jersey,etc kind of territory that are tax havens. They are British territories but out of the preview of the common British law. Very continent. Fully half the Londonistan financial business would close down if these heavens were eliminated.
That is true. The amount of dirty money in London is quite unbelievable. Arab, Russian, Indian, Chinese, Nigerian ... It's all there. Makes Switzerland look like a rank amateur.
rgosain
BRFite

Post by rgosain »

This film could only have been made in India, because Indians have a unique tendency to act as facilitators and water-carriers for those with an agenda.. Recentl there was the case of the Greenpeace activist prostrating herself before the Uk parliament. It would be more effective for the ex-parte injunctions against the BBC to be exercised against the local producers who aided in this production given that the matter is still sub-judice.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

eklavya wrote:
She says she was "compelled" by the Indian reaction to Nirbhaya's rape.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31698154
See , that statement, admittedly touching for those who fall for it, doesn't gel with how she handled contracts, Indian laws and general ethics. The co-producer, someone of Indian origin, has now complained on how she went back on promises.

Even the victim's father now had retracted his consent. And to name and film the relatives of the accused without their faces being blurred .... endangering their security?

This is not co-opting a cause . Did raw statistics of UK and USA ever appear in the documentary..after all isnt it a global problem? Why is it called "India's daughter" then if it is a global problem?

These are elementary things abt the documentary that needs no highlighting.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

eklavya wrote:I heard at least a dozen viewpoints represented in that film. Not sure what you heard. The film is pro India; it shows how Indian society is rising against the scourge of rape.

Haven't watched the film and don't intend to.....don't have any fascination for watching psychopaths And there is no real value in it beyond listening to psychopaths, from what I read.

Udwin has widely described India as a "sick society". Also that "there are not just a few apples rotten, The entire barrel has a problem". And you claim the film is 'Pro India'. What idiocy....!!! It is precisely the same learning that this low-IQ woman derives that I expect would be widely promoted by the intellectually challenged everywhere as a result of this film.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I am sure jimmy savile said to his victims "this is for your own good". reduced to taking people at face value, are we ?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Arjun wrote:
eklavya wrote:I heard at least a dozen viewpoints represented in that film. Not sure what you heard. The film is pro India; it shows how Indian society is rising against the scourge of rape.

Haven't watched the film and don't intend to.....don't have any fascination for watching psychopaths And there is no real value in it beyond listening to psychopaths, from what I read.

Udwin has widely described India as a "sick society". Also that "there are not just a few apples rotten, The entire barrel has a problem". And you claim the film is 'Pro India'. What idiocy....!!! It is precisely the same learning that this low-IQ woman derives that I expect would be widely promoted by the intellectually challenged everywhere as a result of this film.
She also said that it was her "gift" to India. With friends like this we don't need enemies.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

The local producer has vanished after doing a quick cya denouncement. Even goi is having a tough time tracking all angles on this one.
Freeze her bank acs and she might reappear VN
gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

'We can't prove sex with children does them harm' says UK MP

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/462604 ... inked-NCCL
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Uk seems like the world capital of pedophilia.

Is there a lack of adult women there?
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Singha wrote:Uk seems like the world capital of pedophilia.

Nope
In January 2013, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), Office for National Statistics (ONS) and Home Office released its first ever joint Official Statistics bulletin on sexual violence, entitled An Overview of Sexual Offending in England and Wales.

It reported that:

Approximately 85,000 women are raped on average in England and Wales every year
Over 400,000 women are sexually assaulted each year
1 in 5 women (aged 16 - 59) has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

85,000 rapes in the UK: Wonder who has the colonial hangover? Posted by: Vicky Nanjappa
The past couple of days have been all about the Nirbhaya documentary which has been banned by the Indian government.

The views expressed by death row convict Mukesh Singh about how a woman should be blamed for rape has given enough fodder for many in the West to say that the Delhi rape incident shatters Bollywood fantasies.

Worse the Kuwait Times publishes an article with a title, "Rapist's views reflect those of many in India."

While Kuwait should be one of the last countries speaking about woman's rights, one must also not forget a survey conducted in Britain where a third of them felt that a woman should be blamed for rape.

The rape statistics in the UK are nothing to be proud about. There are ample issues relating to women's safety in the UK and statistics would show that approximately 85,000 rapes and 4,00,000 sexual assaults that take place every year.

The Britain survey of 2005:

A survey conducted in Britain in the year 2005 found that one third of the participants in that survey felt that a woman who acts flirtatiously is partially or completely to blame for being raped.

The survey also found that over a quarter also felt that a woman is partially responsible for being raped if she wore revealing clothes.

Britain's rape statistics too is nothing to be proud about. There have been an approximate of of 85,000 women being raped on average in England and Wales every year.

Over 4,00,000 women are sexually assaulted each year. 1 in 5 women aged 16 to 59 has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16.

Does rapist's remarks reflect the Indian mindset?

In the Kuwait Times there is an article which states that the statements made by Mukesh Singh reflect the mindset of many in India.

The writer asks, how different were the convicted rapist's words from comments that Manohar Lal Khattar, the top elected official of Haryana state made last year?

"If a girl is dressed decently, a boy will not look at her in the wrong way," Khattar told reporters. Further the article quotes a 2009 incident, "In 2009 when a rightwing Hindu group attacked women in a pub in the southern state of Karnataka, then-Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa said that he wanted to "end the culture of boys and girls roaming around in malls holding hands."

Some facts about Kuwait:

A 2014 report on the rights of people in Kuwait has this to say about Women's rights.

"Kuwait gave women the right to apply for posts as prosecutors, which until then were only open to male candidates. This will allow women to pursue careers as judges in the future.

However, women continue to face discrimination in many other aspects of their lives, and large legal gaps remain in protections for women.

Kuwait has no laws prohibiting domestic violence, sexual harassment, or marital rape. In addition, Kuwaiti women married to non-Kuwaiti men cannot give their spouses or children Kuwaiti citizenship.

Kuwaiti law does not let women marry a partner of their choice if their father will not grant permission.

In May, the Kuwaiti authorities announced that Saudi Arabian women would not be provided with drivers' licenses while in Kuwait without the permission of their male guardians; women are not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia.

Time for UK to look within:

Looking at the manner in which several from the UK have shown interest in the rape statistics in India while ignoring their own makes one wonder who exactly has the colonial hangover.

The rape statistics in the UK are nothing to be proud about and there is a lot that they have to do to provide better security for the women over there.

Rapes and discrimination against women are not to be always spoken about in the Indian context.

There may be arguments over whether the ban on the documentary was right or wrong. While that is one aspect to this entire episode is that such statements by Mukesh Singh being played out has given fodder to many in the West to speak about the rights and safety of women in India while ignoring their own issues.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Rape classes from 11 for British schoolchildren

Pupils are to learn the differences between rape and consensual sex from the age of 11 as part of a drive to equip pupils with the necessary skills for "life in modern Britain". :rotfl:

The age-appropriate "consent classes", which could be introduced as soon as after the Easter holidays, are to be added to the personal, social, health and economic syllabus after concerns were raised that teenagers were being pressured to have sex.

Nicky Morgan, the Education Secretary, publicised the move on International Women's Day.

“We have to face the fact that many pressures girls face today were unimaginable to my generation and it's our duty to ensure that our daughters leave school able to navigate the challenges and choices they'll face in adulthood,” she wrote in the Sunday Times.

“We have to ensure that the education girls receive not only allows them to reach their academic potential, but also prepares them for life in modern Britain,” she added.

The normalisation of ***** and the rise of sexting and revenge ***** among teenagers has led to calls for a more robust response in schools. Wow such western, much Christian wow wow

Themes that will be covered in the lessons include teaching children that consenting to sex once does not constitute repeated acceptance and kissing is not a tacit agreement to sex.

Common misconceptions surrounding rape will be challenged and children will be taught that most attacks are committed by someone the victim knows. Gay rape will also be addressed.

The resources for the classes will come from the PSHE Association and aim to give better guidance to allow teachers to deal more confidently with difficult subjects, such as rape and sexual education.

It is recommended that drop boxes are placed in classrooms for children to anonymously post questions as part of the lessons.

Mrs Morgan, the mother of a seven-year-old, stressed that any materials would have to age-appropriate, approved by the Department for Education and not be “at odds with fundamental British values”. Fancy name for Christian values
Note:- The **** in the article refers to prawn and hasn't been added my me, it's there in the article.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Arjun wrote:

If someone hasn't seen the film, doesn't want to see the film, but wishes to comment on the "learning" promoted by the film and the intellect and motives of the film maker, their comments and views would obviously lack any credibility.

There are many humane and valuable views expressed by a range of people in that film. My favourite was Justice Leila Seth.

Other views on the film expressed below by people living in India:

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/letters ... 966882.ece
Film-maker Leslee Udwin has held a mirror unto India in which I see the reflections of my family, my neighbourhood, my city and my country. The mirror shows me that my country can have laws strong enough to bring the perpetrators to justice. It also shows me there are people who can bring about change. I have learnt that the documentary does not show India in a negative light, nor does it declare India to be some sort of “rapists’ own country”. I would like to believe that the documentary is impartial in its perspective towards the incident.

Aritra Bhattacharyya,

Chinsurah, West Bengal
The film-maker herself:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/m ... e-director
Leslee Udwin, the British director of the documentary, said: “My whole purpose was to give a gift of gratitude to India, to actually praise India, to single India out as a country that was exemplary in its response to this rape, as a country where one could actually see change beginning.

“The supreme irony is that they are now accusing me of having wanted to point fingers at India, defame India, and it is they who have committed international suicide by banning this film.”

The filmmaker said she was inspired to make the film in the wake of protests in India over the December 2012 rape and murder of a young physiotherapy student on a bus.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

eklavya wrote:If someone hasn't seen the film, doesn't want to see the film, but wishes to comment on the "learning" promoted by the film and the intellect and motives of the film maker, their comments and views would obviously lack any credibility.
<snip>
The film-maker herself:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/m ... e-director
Leslee Udwin, the British director of the documentary, said: “My whole purpose was to give a gift of gratitude to India, to actually praise India, to single India out as a country that was exemplary in its response to this rape, as a country where one could actually see change beginning.

“The supreme irony is that they are now accusing me of having wanted to point fingers at India, defame India, and it is they who have committed international suicide by banning this film.”

The filmmaker said she was inspired to make the film in the wake of protests in India over the December 2012 rape and murder of a young physiotherapy student on a bus.
I too haven't seen the film but lets just go by what she has stated to the same brit newspaper.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ma ... -attitudes
“I began this film with a narrow focus,” Israeli-born Udwin, 57, says. “‘Why do men rape?’ I discovered that the disease is a lack of respect for gender. It’s not just about a few rotten apples, it’s the barrel itself that is rotten.
The barrel can only be taken as India and by implication all the apples inside i.e ALL Indian.

Do you agree with her above negative and highly offensive broad stroke stereotyping of India and all Indians as potential rapist?
Is that the praise and the gift, per you quote, that she showering upon Indians?
Do I not have the right to call her out on her own statements given to the same newspaper that you quoted?
Does my views on her highly offensive views about all Indians lack credibility just because I haven't watched the film?
Does her own statements given to the newspaper not portray her intellect and mindset? Why do I have to watch the film to familiarize with that? It is out there in the article for all to read.
member_28638
BRFite

Post by member_28638 »

Singha wrote:Uk seems like the world capital of pedophilia.

Cameron threatens negligent public workers with jail

UK premier David Cameron has threatened to jail those who fail to protect children from abuse.

Outlining plans to tackle child sexual exploitation at a meeting in his official London residence, the Prime Minister said teachers, social workers and councilors in England and Wales who work with kids could face up to five years in prison if they turn a blind eye to child abuse.

The Prime Minister’s comments come in the wake of horrific stories of neglect in places such as Oxfordshire and Rotherham. A newly published report has revealed that as many as 373 teenage girls and children were targeted for sex by gangs of men in Oxfordshire during the last 16 years. In Rotherham, it is estimated that at least 1,400 children were sexually abused over a number of years.

For decades, experts have warned about the scale of the tragedy, and criticized different British governments for their inaction all through those years. The head of research at the Islamic Human Rights Commission, Arzu Merali, believes Cameron’s proposals have a political color to them:

“A number of observers have pointed out that a lot of issues that have been flagged up now are really being flagged up because we are in the election year.”

The United Kingdom is expected to hold the general elections on 7 May 2015 to elect the 56th Parliament.

Cameron criticized police and social workers’ idleness and called for an end to a "walking on by” culture. He also upgraded the status of child abuse to a national threat. This means police will now treat such abuse in a similar way to serious and organized crime, with police forces, chief constables and police and crime commissioners having a duty to collaborate in order to protect children.

Merali says the plans are also part of a general climate of racism and Islamophobia in the United Kingdom:

“Because there have been some cases, where, some of the perpetrators have been of a Muslim Heritage or a Muslim. And this has been used by the government to create more fear, more misunderstanding and to tap into the counter climate of anti-Muslim hatred by claiming that it is a particular community who is responsible for this. This is why phrases like cultural change are used. I would argue that we do need cultural change.”

The new plans also involve imposing unlimited fines to individuals and organizations that have let children down. It also includes creation of a national helpline to enable professionals to report bad practice.

http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/03/0 ... hild-abuse
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

^^^^
I think by barrel she means society or environment, and indeed she has a generally negative view of the treatment of women in India. This view is alas justified by the facts. Female foeticide, dowry, etc are scourges of society. The description of Delhi as the "rape capital of India" was not a phrase invented by a foreigner.

Her film shows that there are those with a highly retrograde mindset and those that are trying to bring change. Those trying to bring change span generations and genders and their movement has strength.

You should watch the film before jumping to conclusions.

The film does not portray all Indian men as potential rapists. It shows 3 sick Indian men (the convicted rapist, and his two lawyers) and a number of decent and humane Indian men: the victim's tutor, the victim's father, the patrolman who found the injured victims thrown naked on the roadside, a Supreme Court advocate, the criminal psychologist at Tihar, the thousands of men protesting on the streets, etc.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

https://www.change.org/p/oxford-india-s ... ef=Default

Reconsider Invitation to Swamy and Malhotra
Oxford Students United Kingdom :lol:
The Muslims of India can join us if they genuinely feel for the Hindu. That they do I will not believe unless they acknowledge with pride that though they may be Muslims, their ancestors were Hindus. If any Muslim acknowledges his or her Hindu legacy, then we Hindus can accept him or her as a part of the Brihad Hindu Samaj (greater Hindu society) which is Hindustan. India that is Bharat that is Hindustan is a nation of Hindus and others whose ancestors were Hindus. Others, who refuse to acknowledge this, or those foreigners who become Indian citizens by registration, can remain in India but should not have voting rights (which means they cannot be elected representatives) - How to Wipe Out Islamic Terror by Subramanian SwamyWe, the undersigned, wish to express our anguish at the invitation extended to Subramnian Swamy and Rajiv Malhotra by the Oxford India Society.
In defence of invitations such as these, we are often confronted with the “free speech” argument. We are reminded that speakers like Subramanian Swamy, Rajiv Malhotra, Marine Le Pen, men against abortion, have a right to air their views, no matter how repugnant. This argument is misplaced since it collapses the significant distinction between persons being allowed to air their views, and their being provided with a platform to do so. While we must grudgingly bear morally repugnant views, we do not feel we have a duty to invite persons to air them at a platform which bears respect. Moral abstinence cannot lapse into abetment.
Further, even if we were to accept the OIS’s contention that these speakers must be heard, there remain significant concerns about the manner in which this talk is being held. Swamy been described as an “ex-Harvard Professor and previous union minister” who shall speak on reforms. No reference is made to his vitriol against Muslims, and his demand for their disenfranchisement conditional upon acceptance of their “Hindu ancestry”. Mr.Malhotra has been described as 'Indian-American activist'. This individual is known for his patently fanatic blogs and the book 'Breaking India: Western Interventions in Dravidian and Dalit Faultlines'. The latter can at best be described as hate speech against all scholars who have ever attempted to criticize the caste system or other forms of social hierarchies and discriminations in India. His targeted vilification campaign against most American scholars, not to mention several Indians as well, especially Wendy Doniger, has breached the limits of propriety. His obsession with undivided nation with all its inequities intact, now being divided by scholars and 'activists' discussing and fighting them has only resulted in intemperate and bigoted rants that reveals a great deal of religious orthodoxy and fundamentalism.You are right to say we should question these individuals. But then they ought to be questioned and presented as they are—as bigots with extremist views—rather than exclusively qua professor, historian, or activist, speaking on “reforms”.Finally, for all concerns about free speech and lively debate, and the OIS’s presentation of this talk as one involving “contrarians”, it is intriguing that it has chosen to invite speakers on the same end of the political spectrum. A similar platform has not been extended to those affected by their vitriol, by their vision of Hinduism, or a unified nation.We, therefore, urge reconsideration of the invitation extended to Subramanian Swamy and Rajiv Malhotra to speak at the University of Oxford. We remain optimistic that the organizers shall demonstrate better sense and civility than has been demonstrated by the individuals they have chosen to invite.