Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion - June'14

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion - June'14

Post by Singha »

yeah its not a big black secret. the location of the two swordfishes will be though.
aadiverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by aadiverma »

My first post....looooonggg time lurker....speaking of this radar the amazing thing is that there are massive multi story apartments across this site....saw this from one of the houses that i visited and like Singha sir said no big secret at all visually..
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

Karan M wrote:
Singha wrote:enroute to gurgaon on metro rail, there is a section where the pillars are really high, giving a commanding view. there is a vast scrubland upto the edges of urban gurgaon. on a hillock near where the urban buildings ends , I saw a radar (parabolic) of vast size slowly rotating away on its perch atop the delhi ridge (offshoot of aravalis). it must be the big old 1000km range 3D search radar we have covering delhi region.

p.s. when I went, gurgaon looked hot dusty and deserted in middle of day. I saw the line of malls near iffco chowk from the train itself....then without leaving the stn, did a U-turn and returned on another train all the way back to cashmere gate :mrgreen:
This?
THD-1955
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... HD_003.jpg
Similar radar at AFS, Chimney Hills can be seen from a section of the road skirting the station in Jalahalli .
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

can anyone id these radars? said to be on jaigarh hills jaipur

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/33076627
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

<Ahem>Mijjile Dhaaga</Ahem>
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Damn I was hoping for a meaty ABM radar thing...but soon brothers...soon....
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

Let the Swordfish-2 be ready first. No news about it. 1500 km will let us monitor into Iran and persian gulf.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Don't think india will advertise the full capabilities of its radars ..swordfish itself has greater range than green pine in the ranges exceeding 1500 km
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

Guys Mijjile dhaga. Please to take discussion on Radars to appropriate dhaga.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

Bheeshma wrote:Let the Swordfish-2 be ready first. No news about it. 1500 km will let us monitor into Iran and persian gulf.
It should be ready when Phase-II of India's BDM is ready
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Karan M wrote:
Singha wrote:enroute to gurgaon on metro rail, there is a section where the pillars are really high, giving a commanding view. there is a vast scrubland upto the edges of urban gurgaon. on a hillock near where the urban buildings ends , I saw a radar (parabolic) of vast size slowly rotating away on its perch atop the delhi ridge (offshoot of aravalis). it must be the big old 1000km range 3D search radar we have covering delhi region.

p.s. when I went, gurgaon looked hot dusty and deserted in middle of day. I saw the line of malls near iffco chowk from the train itself....then without leaving the stn, did a U-turn and returned on another train all the way back to cashmere gate :mrgreen:
This?
THD-1955
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... HD_003.jpg
But Singha-ji you might also have seen the troposcatter comms dishes - Those are HUGE, and this hub controls all the sites in the country. India even has a link with FSU - perhaps a relic of the past, perhaps still active.
This is a known Radar site, south of Delhi, there used to be a THD1955 there, now under upgrade
This controls over 7-8 SAM sites around Delhi which provide SAM coverage, and ABM coverage in the future to the national capital territory.
All these sites are easily visible on google earth
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

>>This controls over 7-8 SAM sites around Delhi which provide SAM coverage, and ABM coverage in the future to the national capital territory.

Again, guys why do we need to publicize all this on an internet forum?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^ any adversary ajint trying to keep notes would be in for some shock. ;)
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Karan M ji, if I can know this, in 2009, the enemy knew this when these were being built.
Geographic location is visible to all and sundry on google earth.

The real secret is capability.

Another aspect of all this is deterrence aspect. I have a big danda and I want everyone to see that danda !!!
We are mango abduls onlee, who ever listens to us... ;)
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I want to attend BRF meets and show everyone, what all there is to see on google earth. It is all so amazing !!!
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Gagan wrote:Karan M ji, if I can know this, in 2009, the enemy knew this when these were being built.
Geographic location is visible to all and sundry on google earth.

The real secret is capability.

Another aspect of all this is deterrence aspect. I have a big danda and I want everyone to see that danda !!!
We are mango abduls onlee, who ever listens to us... ;)
The issue is not with knowing all this on G-earth and what not.. we all track that.. the issue is with statements like these:
>>This controls over 7-8 SAM sites around Delhi which provide SAM coverage, and ABM coverage in the future to the national capital territory.

Why should we draw attention to ANY site & even mark it up the targeting list? Are we serving national interests by doing so?

By linking it with ABM coverage and moving it up a possible targeting list, is that good?

Suppose this radar or whatever was just another IAF radar. Have we not drawn attention to it so that any and every developments around the site are now monitored?

Please don't underestimate OSINT. It comprises 90% of what's being used to track assets which are then targeted on priority basis.

I for one practice self censorship, because true deterrence is in having the capability as versus tom tomming it, when we have limited amounts of it.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

I am pretty sure there are redundant backup systems for control and tracking too !! :mrgreen: ..i find it funny when some one says oh this one controls all things around it since they are near to it :mrgreen:
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

+1
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

or when the actual system is elsewhere. ;)
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

I don't think Gagan wrote anything which is already not known to everyone. We got ~ six S-300 batteries (all wiki info), hence it won't take a rocket scientist to guess number of SAM sites for a combo of S-300 + Penchoras. Plus they are road mobile TELs, meaning even if they are captured on GE they may not be at the same location when hostilities begin.

On occasions when people do post insider stuff, admins do promptly delete that info.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

S 300 were "never" purchased publically lets leave it at that.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Next we will have posts on S-300s at BARC.. std BRF operating procedure...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

official line is we purchased a couple of big radars from the S-300 system for surveillance and thats it, no SAMs.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Karan M wrote:Next we will have posts on S-300s at BARC.. std BRF operating procedure...
Errr...
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

KaranM,

Some of the stuff that people post after talking to people at ARDE, HAL, about ongoing military programs would never make to public domain either.
Each of us have a different view of security.

I won't post anything that is truly classified.
I understand and respect your concerns, all of us do.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Singha wrote:official line is we purchased a couple of big radars from the S-300 system for surveillance and thats it, no SAMs.
Tin Shield ST-68/U. More than a couple.. a bunch. These would have been our standard MPR/LLTR and even mass produced in India but for the fact that things post FSU dissolution became hard for a while.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... 2.jpg.html

Very capable sets per IAF officers. Our other MPRs are the PSM-33 Mk2 (Thales design locally adapted by BEL).
Last edited by Karan M on 09 Apr 2015 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Gagan wrote:
Karan M wrote:Next we will have posts on S-300s at BARC.. std BRF operating procedure...
Errr...
I sometimes think India should just purchase a few S-300s, a few Tu-160s and Tu-22M etc - just so that BRF can be happy and move on to other stuff.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

With that, lets close the OT on the thread. Move the radar stuff to the radar thread..
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

The Hindu ‏@the_hindu 4m4 minutes ago

India successfully test-fires nuclear weapons-capable Dhanush missile from ship. http://thne.ws/1HTL22Q
Whats up now?
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Shiv Aroor ‏@ShivAroor 4m4 minutes ago

Indian Army test-fires BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from Andaman Islands, operationalises new regiment.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Dhanush missile successfully test-fired from ship - Y.Mallikarjun, The Hindu
India successfully test-fired nuclear weapons-capable Dhanush missile from a ship, off the Odisha coast on Thursday.

The ship-based missile was launched at 11.02 a.m. by personnel of the Strategic Forces Command (SFC) from an Offshore Patrolling Vessel (OPV), which was deep inside the sea, for its full range of 350 km, according to Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) missile scientists.

It was a perfect mission and the missile splashed down near the target point with high degree of accuracy, they said.

Dhanush, a manoeuvring missile is a naval variant of Prithvi-II, and can carry a nuclear payload of 500 kg.

It can target both land-based and sea-based targets. The missile has already been inducted into the armed services and the SFC personnel randomly picked up the missile from the production lot for Thursday’s trial, which was carried out as part of regular user training.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Why only 300s? $00s and 500s too in future! As for bombers,why not the stealth bomber too after the FGFA?! One wouldn't mind a sqd. or two of (upgraded) Backfires though1
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

pankajs wrote:
Shiv Aroor ‏@ShivAroor 4m4 minutes ago

Indian Army test-fires BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from Andaman Islands, operationalises new regiment.
✈Anantha Krishnan M✈ ‏@writetake 31m31 minutes ago

Army withdraws statement on BrahMos release!
:-?
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

SSridhar wrote:Dhanush missile successfully test-fired from ship - Y.Mallikarjun, The Hindu
Dhanush, a manoeuvring missile is a naval variant of Prithvi-II, and can carry a nuclear payload of 500 kg.

It can target both land-based and sea-based targets.
So testing system/s that will ultimately go into making a ASBM?!! :D
Last edited by pankajs on 09 Apr 2015 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Just one post OT

There are a few websites which give a fairly accurate location of some of the strategic sites of India.

Fly down to any airport which has is also an air base. You may see a lot of interesting things.

I have seen

a) Indra radar
b) P 19 radar
c) P 15 radar, NATO code name 'Flat Face'
d) SNR 125 NATO code name 'Low Blow' radar
e) SA 3 Pechora launch sites
f) TropoScatter radar antennae

If you know the location you can even see some of these from outside the airport / air base

As long as Google Earth is concerned, less said the better. One can see a number of SA 3 launcher sites at AFBs and elsewhere.

K
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

pankajs wrote:
SSridhar wrote:[url=http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/d ... epage=true][/b] is a naval variant of Prithvi-II, and can carry a nuclear payload of 500 kg.

It can target both land-based and sea-based targets.
So testing system/s that will ultimately morph into a ASBM?!! :D[/quote]

It is time we starting shouting that we now have a ship borne anti aircraft-carrier ballistic missile.

K
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618 3h3 hours ago New Delhi, Delhi

India is implementing an A2/AD strategy via the A&N islands. IA Brahmos units and future ASBMs (under devpt) will be based there.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

ameen brothers. finally our vision of A&N as a unsinkable aircraft carrier cum pearl harbour might come true.

a mighty naval anchorage to rival pearl and scapa flow needs to come in southern andaman.

sounds like bay of bengal will be our initial SSBN bastion and the eastern flank will be strongly secured.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ Time to rename it to Fortress Andaman! Given that it dominates the shipping route from both sides, I am reminded of those fictional guns placed on an island called Navarone...