Disputes in the Economic History of India

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Re: Disputes in the Economic History of India

Post by Arjun »

amit wrote:Bottomline I would think it would be too simplistic to give scores to different governments. Each tackled/is tackling their own set of problems. Some of it has been good, some bad but the intention has been consistent, that's the important part.
I could not disagree more strongly with you, Amit.

No firm, no country and no leader is judged by intentions - but rather, by the decisions taken by them; achievements which follow as a result of these decisions, as also the quality of execution of these decisions. That is the only way by which we can hope to avoid mistakes from the past and learn for a better future.

Unless one goes through this exercise, on what basis would you be deciding on the performance of the governments tomorrow? Why have an economist as a PM - when any Tom, Dick and Harry with good intentions could have done the trick?

If you think keeping personalities and parties out of it is important, I don't see a rationale, but then lets focus the discussion around specific decisions and reform measures and what contribution each one has had to our current growth? Don't you think that is important?

Another point- do you think it is important enough that credit by properly assigned, or is it OK for BJP to lay claim to PVNR's reforms, and for UPA to lay claim to a 'reformist image' in the absence of reforms?

There is no political intent out here - if and when the reforms start happening under UPA -2 the rating for UPA-2 will naturally go up.
Last edited by Arjun on 01 Feb 2011 13:03, edited 2 times in total.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

somnath wrote:Like Amit said, its tough to give "marks" in that fashion. Most of the agenda was set by the PVNR/MMS efforts...Threafter it was a question on legilative execution..You mentioned telecom - well, telecom was opened up in PVNR's time, 1994...NDA's telecom policy gave rise to as many questions as Raja's :) ...Insurance - the bill was left hanging for 4-5 years because the opposition would not agree, and that included the BJP! That is why it was easier for YAshwant Sinha to get IN supprt for the bill - it was basically INC's own baby! Seen in that respect, the only big ticket movement in ABV govt was the highways programme, including the funding model (thru the cess on petrol)...

On the economy, quite frankly BJP when it came in was substantively influenced by jokers like Datopant Thengadi and the RSS crowd...they took 2-3 years to settle down and understand..To their credit even in the interim they did nothing to rock the boat..ABV had the right instincts, but the BJP top brass didnt have a lot of econmic talent - no wonder YAshwant sinha was their FM!

But under Jaswant Singh, things moved much faster...He had the riht instincts again, and political heft to move the system (YAshwant Sinha had neither)...But JS was in saddle for too short a time...

Net net, UPA I/II is as bad/good as any of the govts post PVNR - reforms by stealth, as Raghuram Rajan puts it as well!
Ok. Understand (though don't agree with) your perspective on NDA reforms. What is your perspective on UPA reforms, if you think there are any to talk about?
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Arjun, I think we have to agree to disagree.

I think reforms are a continuous process and some of it also trial and error as there's no handbook on reforms or a "do-it-yourself" guide. Many reforms can have unexpected consequences which require mid term correction or tweaking. Hence it requires a long term political commitment on all sides of the polity in a democratic set up where the ruling party and opposition trade places.

You seem to think of reforms as markers/milestones in the path of development and the side which touches the marker first gets credit.

In such a situation I don't think we can come to an agreement.

I stand by what I said, every single government since PVNR have stood fast on the intent to push the reforms agenda. And every single one of the governments have been badly stymied due to coalition politics. Some nudging forward has been done in good times, some back tracking has been done at other times. But the intent has been to go forward.

And I think if you want to judge performance of govts then you'll have to do so with the criteria that matters the most: how much better off - in quantitative terms - is the population since the time the govt took power and the time it left power.

I don't think we can say something like this: OK UPA govt witnessed the highest sustained growth in GDP over a five year period in the history of Independent India but that was all due to the credit of NDA and despite the lack of (and intent for) a reforms agenda on the part of the UPA govt.

Sure the NDA gets a lot of credit for this - I've acknowledges this in one my previous posts - but to say the UPA doesn't get any credit is... To me it sounds too much like a political statement instead of one based on economic reasoning.

But as I said let's agree to disagree. I think we've both said what we have to say on this matter.
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

Arjun wrote:What is your perspective on UPA reforms, if you think there are any to talk about?
The big ticket item is GST - it seems to be on the home stretch..But if done, it will be big..The petrol price decontrol (effective) is the other one - not even PVNR managed to do that despite the prescription being oft repeated since 1991..

As for the rest, its muddle through
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

^^^^^^

If GST goes through - it should have by now - then that will indeed be one of the biggest big ticket reforms that we've had. Properly implemented it can easily add one or two percentage point to the GDP growth. And at the rate that India is growing now, and given the size of the Indian economy that would be a very significant dollar number.

Fingers crossed...
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

There can be no question that UPA-1 track record was considerably worse than NDA on reforms..... I can post several media articles on this. Here's one for example...The 3R Formula

However, it does seem like UPA-2 will turn out to be much better. Petrol price decontrol is one achievement, 3G auction and divestments done so far seem promising. GST could be huge....All in all, UPA-2 has a good chance to match or better the NDA one in reforms. Lets see how things turn out.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

This thread is rapidly morphing into a general Indian economy discussion. I don't think it's fair to brihaspati's original intentions anymore, particularly since I was one of the prime culprits in derailing this thread :oops: Any opposition to moving most of the posts since the savings/GDP topic to the Indian economy thread ?

On the question of reforms, please understand that what could easily be done in a $350 billion economy with a 'dream budget' is no longer possible with a $1500 billion economy where the low hanging fruit are taken. Such 'glamour' moments are no longer possible; the current needs are more nuts and bolts measures. The efficacy of reforms ought to be judged by how well the rate of investment/GDP is sustained - a continued worsening of this situation is a prime indicator that lack of reforms are hurting investment.
surinder
BRFite

Post by surinder »

Theo_Fidel wrote:- Most years 40% of the budget went to the military. This would mean that our military budget would be about $100 Billion right now. Not only that, Indian soldiers were expected to deploy on all the silly British wars from Africa, to the Middle East to Europe to Afghanistan.
I read in a book (on Google Books) that India paid 10% of the cost of World War I. This was staggering for a nation that had not even been touched by these wars, did not care for the causes of it, and should have outherwise remained unconcerned for.

What the cost was for World War 2, I am not sure.

Then Indian money was used to pay pensions etc. and rewards for the glallantary awards etc.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

surinder wrote:

What the cost was for World War 2, I am not sure.
50 Millions people died in WWII. THis was the most genocidal - total war in human history
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

I think he meant monetary cost Archarya.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

I know. Look at the monetary cost of the loss of life and the per capita earning due to this loss. That is higher than the cost of the war itself. That was my point. IMO.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Suraj wrote:On the question of reforms, please understand that what could easily be done in a $350 billion economy with a 'dream budget' is no longer possible with a $1500 billion economy where the low hanging fruit are taken. Such 'glamour' moments are no longer possible; the current needs are more nuts and bolts measures. The efficacy of reforms ought to be judged by how well the rate of investment/GDP is sustained - a continued worsening of this situation is a prime indicator that lack of reforms are hurting investment.
Agree with you 400 per cent onlee. I've been trying to say the same thing. You can't keep a scorecard on reforms especially when the needs of the beast for whom it is meant is morphing into something different everyday.

You've mentioned the economic indicators to keep watch on. I'll just add from the political side the commitment to reforms is the key. I would think from 1992 onwards every government has shown a commitment to keep pushing the reforms agenda. From the political side I think that's the key indicator to keep watch of instead of getting lost in score counting of who did what what reforms.

PS: I think it would be good idea to move the reforms-based post to the Indian econ thread for continuity.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Suraj wrote:This thread is rapidly morphing into a general Indian economy discussion. I don't think it's fair to brihaspati's original intentions anymore, particularly since I was one of the prime culprits in derailing this thread :oops: Any opposition to moving most of the posts since the savings/GDP topic to the Indian economy thread ?
You're right. I think they can be moved to the econ thread.
On the question of reforms, please understand that what could easily be done in a $350 billion economy with a 'dream budget' is no longer possible with a $1500 billion economy where the low hanging fruit are taken. Such 'glamour' moments are no longer possible; the current needs are more nuts and bolts measures. The efficacy of reforms ought to be judged by how well the rate of investment/GDP is sustained - a continued worsening of this situation is a prime indicator that lack of reforms are hurting investment.
Agree with the theme that the low-hanging reforms fruit are taken, and that it takes more to move an economy that is 4 - 5x the size it was in the nineties. Not so sure that all major reform steps that need to be done are over with and its all largely nuts and bolts. There are some very fundamental reforms that need to be undertaken in infrastructure, financial services, agriculture, education, subsidies and other areas - and Raghuram Rajan captures this best in an interview posted in the previous page.

One way of guaging a government's effectiveness is therefore to measure the movement on the remaining reforms front. A metric like investment / GDP is good as well - though I am concerned that it could turn out to be a lagging indicator rather than a leading one.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Have not visited this thread for a long time. For all those still rattled by my stance on use of the word "Hindu rate of growth" - I do not compromise on issues that are manifestly malicious and deliberately denigratory to my birth culture. Moreover, I find no rational justification for the nomenclature - given that "modern" economics claims to be a science, and therefore any given name must be rooted in a solid connection. None such is found in the disputed expression.

Anyone who claims that he/she does not find anything "wrong" in the expression - is first refusing to acknowledge or bypassing the irrationality of the naming, and second, possibly also justifying continued use of the word for its original purpose - that of somehow showing the "Hindu" in a poor light. I find it intellectually dishonest and politically motivated in anyone who claims to find no particular/dominant position of any religion identified community or such dominant role in modern India, but insists on using the expression connected to a single community.

I think I have the right to refuse to compromise on this. There will be no engagement from my side with any poster who insists on using the term - even if under the excuse that it has all been "turned around". Failing to see where you should feel insulted is a sign of bootlicker with ulterior motives. One who does not feel insulted when the "Hindu" is insulted/mocked/denigrated is not my friend [which does not mean an enemy] but simply that this person does not exist for me for all practical purposes.

I have not followed many of the practices assumed to characterize "Hindus" by many who do not like "Hindus" in my own life, but thanks to the insults constantly rained on the culture/philosophy/community by extension - that I have seen on the forum from people with obvious origins in that culture itself, and the slimy, spineless, and mosahebi-fashion in which they went about it - have made me harden my stance.

More than a year ago, in another sequence of exchanges with a respected ex-army officer on this forum, I similarly tried to reason and argue without personal attacks and denigrations, but he insisted on bashing up the culture in which I was born, and no amount of threats or insults will make me give in to such individuals. Once a personal limit has been crossed, that person ceases to exist for me. I am sorry, if I appear to any of you as rigid and implacable. But I still will not compromise on this point. I hope this particular sub-discussion does not continue here.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

India's Economic Direction After Independence:

Two famous phrases came to be used to describe the stagnation of the Indian economy. One is the expression "the Permit Raj." What was the Permit Raj?

LORD MEGHNAD DESAI: Once Nehru started his very ambitious planning, and because there was not enough foreign assistance resources, they had to ration foreign assistance resources, and then they had to [have] import licenses and things like that. Then it also became a problem as to in what sector one would start new factories, who would start new factories. You had to get a permit to start a new factory or to expand an old factory, so people starting calling the Nehru planning system a Permit Raj. A raj is an Indian word for a kingdom, and we used to call it the British Raj when the British ruled over India. And so now it became not a Nehru Raj but a Permit Raj, because [the] permit was a dominant power in the economy.

INTERVIEWER: The other expression used to describe Indian stagnation was the "Hindu rate of growth." Could you explain what that meant?

LORD MEGHNAD DESAI: India between 1950 and 1980 had a very sluggish rate of growth. It was only about 3.5 percent per annum in total, which means in per capital terms is only about 1 percent per annum. There's a big debate as to why the growth rate was so low. The economists have an explanation for growth rate which they call the secular rate of growth.... So an Indian economist ... described it as the Hindu rate of growth. ... India was stuck with this rate of growth. It was India's own contribution to stagnation.
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

^^^Lots of "un-hindus" around :wink:
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Airavat wrote:India's Economic Direction After Independence:

Two famous phrases came to be used to describe the stagnation of the Indian economy. One is the expression "the Permit Raj." What was the Permit Raj?

LORD MEGHNAD DESAI: Once Nehru started his very ambitious planning, and because there was not enough foreign assistance resources, they had to ration foreign assistance resources, and then they had to [have] import licenses and things like that. Then it also became a problem as to in what sector one would start new factories, who would start new factories. You had to get a permit to start a new factory or to expand an old factory, so people starting calling the Nehru planning system a Permit Raj. A raj is an Indian word for a kingdom, and we used to call it the British Raj when the British ruled over India. And so now it became not a Nehru Raj but a Permit Raj, because [the] permit was a dominant power in the economy.

INTERVIEWER: The other expression used to describe Indian stagnation was the "Hindu rate of growth." Could you explain what that meant?

LORD MEGHNAD DESAI: India between 1950 and 1980 had a very sluggish rate of growth. It was only about 3.5 percent per annum in total, which means in per capital terms is only about 1 percent per annum. There's a big debate as to why the growth rate was so low. The economists have an explanation for growth rate which they call the secular rate of growth.... So an Indian economist ... described it as the Hindu rate of growth. ... India was stuck with this rate of growth. It was India's own contribution to stagnation.
Here is a "LORD" - a honorary "lifetime" peer, who also states :
Lord Desai: Like my noble friend Lord Dormand I am an atheist and therefore should not speak too much about religion, but I am glad that the C of E, having lost money in real estate, is now interested in sex and making money. That is always welcome.

As to Amendment No. 157, I do not understand how one can set targets for cultural, social or moral development. I spent my life measuring things and making indices. The other day in Committee we had great difficulty defining "value added", and that is near enough a numerical concept. Given the difficulty and given six months, I could do it. But how does anyone set targets in moral development? How does anyone assess and monitor targets of moral development? I should have thought that if one can measure moral attitude it is not moral. I shall not say anything about whether we should or should not have spirituality but we certainly should not have targets. They are a difficult notion to accomplish in this vague and mushy area.
His most touted works are based on rehabilitating Marxian economic principles and understanding. He is also supposed to be an active Labour politician. We need to know then as someone who accepted a British Monarchy given title, an atheist, and as an apologist for Marxian economics - what his real contribution has been to economic development in UK, say, or worldwide - so that his utterances on cultural issues have to be taken with any seriousness at all. Given his other attitudes - it is natural that he does not even notice the complete unsoundness, irrationality - even from the practice of his subject - about the supposed connection between the "Hindu" and the "growth rate". This is the intellect we seem to be mesmerized with - one which fails to see even the illogicality in his own thinking.

As for consistency/personal intellectual integrity - note carefully that he is mocking the Church of England - whose head is by the law of the land the British Monarch herself, and from whose authority and hand he actually received his peerage. So the "reward" and"recognition" was alright - even if the other aspects of that source are "ridiculous" or detested/disliked at the same time [C&E did not not look into making money and enjoying sex at the time he had already been made a lord].

Perhaps an example of "totalitarian intellectual" who fails to realize that he is on the "wrong side" and supporting a wrong ideology. But that is consistent with his other "forgeries of the self" - he never connects or is unable to connect the logical inconsistency in his own thinking. It is not surprising that many such examples were born in Hindu families - but uncannily in the so-called forward castes -especially those that are supposed to belong to that exclusive classes/castes/subcastes which saw themselves as superior by birth to the rest of their society. If coming from Bengal, I would be rather surprised to find a Mukherjee like Shyamaprasad [if they are leaning to the right they would be leaning sincerely to right-most position possible - but such are exceptions] - and given no prior info, would be prepared to find copies of Deasi more likely.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

This Article posted by Suraj here shows the Hindu rate of growth was actually impossible to compute for the west.
economist wrote: Soon, however, the figures will go through one of their periodic rebasings. The last rejig was in 2004-05. Mr Mishra thinks the next one could revise India’s GDP up by 15%. Pronab Sen, chairman of the National Statistical Commission, reckons it will be perhaps 8%—in line with earlier revisions, although he adds that the spread of mobile phones and their economic effect makes things unusually uncertain this time. Raghuram Rajan, the new head of India’s central bank, reckons a revision of 10% is possible.
suraj wrote:Note the reference to the GDP being raised by 10-15% with the next base year revision, due to more economic activities being formally measured, compared to the last one in 2004-05, which was essentially just the second year of a decade long phase of high growth.
Basically India always had good growth only it was difficult to measure to the western intellectuals. Hindu rate of growth was perhaps always 15% plus.
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

panduranghari,
I believe quantum computing will help.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

KrishnaK wrote:panduranghari,
I believe quantum computing will help.
Problem KrishnaK is the weighting given to various things like- how many people brought new mobile phones, what percentage of children achieved 75% and above in exams! how many people have switched from petrol to diesel! how many have given up coffee for tea, ityadi really is poor way to measure productivity. Quantum computing will make it more faster perhaps even real time, but the problem of using weighted measures to come to a number for the GDP is really not science. Economics though considered science by many is in my opinion just not science.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Writing to the Finance Member early in March 1937, the Governor stated that the situation was developing in a manner which required the serious consideration of Government. He pointed out that ‘the nationalist school of thought’ had its own suggestions to make for dealing with this problem. One suggestion (proposed to the Governor by Director Mr. B. M. Birla) was that the Bank should begin to buy gold. A second was to use the surplus for expansion, but the Governor did not favour it; he considered such a course inflationary! His solution was that Government should buy up their sterling debt, especially that maturing between 1948 and 1950. This he considered was ‘the most effective way of building up the financial independence of the country’.

The only solution Sir James could think of, short of dropping the scheme entirely, was for the Bank to do the business as Government’s agent. As he confided to the Bank of England: the important thing is to get an early decision because in addition to other factors the passing of the Insurance Bill has led to a speculative rise in rupee gilt-edged with a consequent increase in the outflow of capital for investment in London. I am indifferent who gets the profits, or whether they are devoted to debt redemption or revenue, so long as I can get machinery into being to regulate these capital movements. I do not anticipate that I shall be able to do much but it seems to me that even a little is better than nothing. In India, also, the circumstances are not the same as in other countries. Elsewhere it might be arguable that it was immaterial whether external debt was redeemed through the central bank or directly by the investing public but in India it must be remembered that in many quarters the dogma that Indian exchange is too high and ought to be reduced by two pence has acquired an almost religious sanctity. Their devotion to this creed is not likely to be lessened if they stand a chance of gaining an additional 12 per cent by sending their money abroad.

The scheme was, however, halted in February 1938, on account of the weakening of the exchange and the fall in the sterling purchases of the Reserve Bank. Apparently the Governor regarded this as a temporary phenomenon; in fact, he had taken some measures, especially the levering up of short-term money rates, to improve the exchange position. Therefore, he continued to press Government for acceptance, at least in principle, of his original proposal that the Bank do the whole business as a principal rather than as the Government’s agent, while still adhering to the principle laid down by the India Office regarding the appropriation of the ‘ profit ’ arising out of the transac- tions. His proposals, Sir James argued further, would give the Bank the necessary freedom of action to conduct the operations (viz., the purchase of the sterling stocks in the London market, passing them on to Government for cancellation, and sale of the rupee securities in the Indian market) at its discretion; besides, with its general reserve and also provident and similar funds to invest, the Bank could, without any embarrassment, hold much more paper than Government could, whereas under the existing procedure Government could easily be saddled with considerable quantities of rupee securities which was ‘neither sound in theory nor convenient in practice’. The Secretary of State was unconvinced by the Governor’s arguments. He found it difficult to accept the view that it was ‘sounder in theory or more convenient in practice’ that the rupee securities should be held by the Bank rather than by Government. According to him, it was hardly an opportune time to resume the repatriation operations owing to the uncertain outlook as regards the trade balance and the lower level of gold exports, not to speak of the uncertainty of world political and economic conditions in general.

After the outbreak of war, sterling began to accumulate with the Reserve Bank in substantial amounts and it appeared desirable to resume the Bank’s purchases in the London market for cancellation and issue of rupee securities there against. About the end of October 1939, India 31⁄2 per cent sterling Stock 1931 or after was quoted at about £79 1⁄2 against the quotation for the 31⁄2 per cent Rupee Paper in India of about Rs. 86-8-0; thus the purchase of sterling stock in London and the creation of rupee paper for sale to the public in India was a profitable proposition for Government. Operations were, therefore, resumed about the end of October and the first cancellation was put through on November 15, 1939. As a result of the operations, the disparity between the price of the 3 1⁄2 per cent India sterling Stock in London and the 31⁄2 per cent Rupee Paper in India was reduced and it soon became apparent that if repatriation was to be effected on a substantial scale a more comprehensive scheme would have to be introduced. The Bank’s external reserves had been built up to approximately 60 per cent of the note issue (excluding the hidden reserve in gold) and there was also a large sterling balance in the Banking Department; it was therefore felt safe to embark on repatriation on a larger scale.

Simultaneously, an Acquisition of Securities Order was issued, transferring these securities to the U.K. Treasury, at the prices (the day’s quotations in London plus allowance for 2 1⁄2 per cent interest) notified in the Order. On the following day, i.e., February 8, a vesting order was issued by the Government of India under the Defence of India Rules, transferring these securities held in India to themselves at the prices notified in the U.K. Order converted into rupees at 1S. 6d. Owners in India were given the option to receive payment in cash (in rupees only) or in rupee counterpart securities. Unlike in the case of the Licence Scheme of February 1940 for conversion of the sterling loans into rupee counterparts which was administered by the Bank’s Bombay Office only, the facility was offered at both the Bombay and Calcutta Offices and no licence fee was charged; the object was to make the scheme as attractive as possible. Residents and rulers of Indian States fell outside the purview of both the British and Indian Orders; it was decided that these persons should be given the option, as were other residents of the sterling area outside India and Burma, to surrender their holdings to the Bank of England against sterling, and if they so desired, to the Reserve Bank against rupees or rupee counterparts. As agreed, the Government of India issued an Ordinance on February 8, 1941 deleting the proviso to Section 33(3) of the Reserve Bank of India Act. Two press communiques issued simultaneously explained the repatriation operation and the rationale of amendment of the Act. Neither the Central Board nor its Committee was formally consulted during the discussions leading up to the decision to requisition compulsorily the outstanding terminable sterling debt.

The repatriation operation formed the subject of a very heated debate in the November 1941 session of the Legislative Assembly on a resolution moved by Mr. Jamnadas Mehta, recommending that’ in any fresh scheme of the repatriation of India’s sterling debt, care should be taken to see that the cost of such repatriation on India’s revenues is not unduly heavy as was the case with the last scheme ‘. The sting of the resolution was obviously in its tail! The mover charged Government with having incurred a loss of Rs. 35 crores on the whole transaction-Rs.15 crores (£ 11 million) in the discount allowed when the debt was incurred, Rs. 12 crores lost because advantage was not taken of the lower rate in 1939 and Rs. 8 crores lost because Government deliberately allowed the prices of the vested securities to rise by their open market purchases in London! There were other criticisms also against the operation and the rapid rate of accretion of the sterling balances. It was urged that the operation was undertaken more to help the British Government. A demand was made that the British Government should pay for their defence expenditure in India in rupees. The resolution was passed only after Mr. Mehta agreed to the deletion of the last few words referring to the cost of this operation as having been unduly high.

The Governor also considered other possible alternatives to repatriation of the sterling debt. In his opinion, one course was to lend sterling, free of interest, to the British Government up to £100 million, to be repaid within a year or so after the war. Another (which actually came from the Finance Member) was to request the British Government to take over the non-terminable liabilities and pay them off as and when it suited them, since compulsory acquisition of the non-terminable loans, which Government were free to redeem on a year’s notice, might be the subject of still more unfavourable criticism in London business circles than in the case of the terminable stocks. Besides avoiding such criticism, the proposal had the theoretical justification that the liability in respect of India’s sterling loans would be shared to a certain extent by the British Government, a position which was recognised by the India Office as early as January 1930. While the first proposal appears to have been dropped at the Government of India’s level, the second expedient, which was put to the Bank of England by Sir James Taylor himself (and later to India Office by Government), was found unacceptable ‘partly because it would be most embarrassing to us as regards vesting by other Dominions and partly because of technical objections’.

The Secretary of State was also opposed to the use, for repatriation, of sterling released by the revaluation of gold; the position would be very different, he added, if the proposition was to release gold in excess of Rs. 44.4 crores at the new valuation and sell it for dollars, in which case, the resultant sterling accumulation would fully qualify for treatment as’ surplus sterling’ in connection with repatriation proposals!

The Government of India therefore urged the Secretary of State in the strongest possible terms to persuade the Treasury to agree to implementing the combined operation immediately. They cabled as follows on November 26, 1941: Opinion in India including Press is becoming increasingly critical of delay in effecting further stage of repatriation while prices continue to rise. In recent Assembly session resolution was passed that in any future scheme of repatriation care should be taken to see that cost was not unduly heavy. Debate was not without acrimony and charges were levelled that we were acting more in interests of foreign investor than of Indian tax naver. With a view to minimising ill effects of debate Resolution was accepted by Government in modified form omitting insinuation that last repatriation was unnecessarily expensive. Any material delay in respect of undated loans will put us in extremely embarrassing position. There is distinct possibility of Congress attending Budget session when fresh and still more virulent debate on repatriation must be expected. We regard it as most important that this should be avoided by fait accompli before beginning of session . . . . . In next Budget we shall have again to emphasise necessity of raising large rupee loans, main popular argument for which is repatriation, as means of financing war supply. If repatriation incomplete or capable of being represented as not having been carried out in manner reasonably favourable to India loan propaganda will suffer.

On December 24, an order was issued by the Government of India transferring to themselves the holdings of these Stocks by residents in India at prices equivalent to those in the U.K. order converted into rupees at 1S. 6d

The scheme contemplated an annual payment by the British Government of £6 million for 25 years tapering off gradually over the next 50 years, in return for a single capital payment by the Indian Government; the legal liability for the pensions was to continue to be that of the Indian Government.

In a letter which Deputy Governor Deshmukh wrote to the Finance Department on January 14, 1943, the Bank’s objections to the Secretary of State’s views on the need for a high sterling cover were stated elaborately, and as it appears in retrospect so validly, thus: It is necessary to remind ourselves that whereas in 1934 when the rupee was statutorily linked to the sterling the latter was a dominating currency in international money markets and India was a debtor to Britain to a very large extent, today sterling is not in its old pre- eminent position and a reversal has already occurred of the debtor-creditor relationship between Britain and India, with the prospect of the process continuing at least as long as the war lasts. We believe that at the back of the public criticism of India’s growing sterling accretions and the concern expressed at their steady increase is the realization, whether it is expressed or implicit, that the international status of sterling is no longer what it used to be. It is this feeling that has obviously inspired the many non-official suggestions that in order to safeguard the solvency of its external assets India should endeavour to hold a larger proportion in either gold or dollars. Even from the historical point of view it is not so certain that theoretical opinion was unanimous that the principle of a percentage backing was suitable in all circumstances. There was the alternative theory that any such percentage should be subject to an overriding quantum limit in order that the size of the assets held in external currency should have some relation to the possible requirements of the country of that currency for correcting any temporary maladjustments. It could be argued, in other words, that some maximum limit, say, of £250 million, should be fixed for that proportion of external assets which is to be held in the form of sterling. Looking at the matter from another point of view, it will be easy to establish that the main demand on our sterling in the past has been for meeting the Home Charges on debt, pensionary and other establishment costs, and that neither the Currency Department nor its successor, Reserve Bank, has been called upon to sell exchange to anything like the same extent to make up shortages on private account. If that is so, then obviously with the almost spectacular diminution in the Home Charges that has taken place and is in progress the country need hold proportionately very much less sterling as part of its external assets against its foreign liabilities.

As regards the nature of India’s future foreign trade, it is not so certain either that in the post-war years it will run through channels requiring a large draught on its resources either in sterling or any other external assets. Very likely its internal trade will expand in the direction of making the country more and more self-contained, with the result that its requirements of external assets for the purposes of financing its foreign trade might not be on the scale which we were accustomed to see in the past. Thus from the point of view of the country’s probable future trade needs it could be argued that there was no case for increasing our present statutory requirements, but rather for lowering them. In spite of the virtual extinction of Home Charges that has already occurred or is imminent, we have, however, no intention of raising the question of the reduction of the statutory percentage under present circumstances. With the way sterling is accruing as part of the war effort, it does not appear to be a practical issue. If, however, the theore- tical question is raised of the desirability of our holding a larger percentage, we feel that we should set out the arguments to the contrary, particularly if our acquiescence was likely to be an impediment in finding sterling for any further funding operations that are regarded as otherwise fair and practicable.

The postponement proposed in the date of capital payment disturbed Mr. Deshmukh (who had then assumed the Governor’s powers) considerably.

The delay that had ensued between the Treasury’s first unofficial acceptance of the scheme in principle in February and the time when the India Office could put the proposals to it officially after the Viceroy’s Executive Council had given its approval had, in fact, hardened the attitude of the Treasury. The scheme was shelved indefinitely in February 1944 on the consideration that the proposals raised ‘fundamental problems affecting not only India’s balances but also the sterling obligations of the U.K. to other countries arising from the war’. It was only in July 1948, as part of the comprehensive agreement with the U.K. on the utilisation of the sterling balances, that the matter was finally solved through payment of £168 million for the purchase of annuities in respect of pensions payable to British nationals by the Government of India and the Provincial Governments,

Although what had been accomplished so far in the matter of debt repatriation made an impressive showing, the sterling used for repatriation represented only about one-fourth of the sterling receipts of Rs. 1,649 crores from His Majesty’s Government from September 1939 to March 1946. There were, besides, substantial sterling purchases by the Bank in excess of the other commitments. Thus, the sterling balances of the Reserve Bank, which stood at the equivalent of Rs. 70 crores on the eve of the war, had risen to Rs. 1,724 crores at the end of March 1946. So, the problem of sterling utilisation was still there! The repatriation operations were summed up by the Finance Member in his speech on the budget for the year 1943-44, as follows: And thus India has completed the transition from a debtor to a creditor country and extinguished within the brief space of about three years accumulations over decades of its public indebtedness to the United Kingdom. Apart from the immediate exchange gain of a substantial relief from the necessity of finding sterling annually for the payment of interest charges, a great deal could be said on the implications of this remarkable change in India’s status. To deal adequately with that theme and to attempt to prognosticate the role which India is destined to play in the post-war world, would carry me far beyond the limits of a budget speech.
http://rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/content/PDFs/89646.pdf