First International Yoga Day

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

First International Yoga Day

Post by rsingh »

Yoga was there. We Indian know that.We take it as a matter of fact. But world is waking up to it now. European and American hippies mixed it herbs. Pure and proper Yoga has taken-off in big way. Manenia Modi Ji has done the right thing at right time. I personally thing it is India's coming to the world. It was one of the most important step taken by any Indian Prime Minister to increase India's soft power. It is better then hosting Olympics........it is free.What a master stroke. Whole world is preparing to celebrate India's gift to the world........it can not be copied and made in China. Please share here your stories and pics of Yoga day celebrations.
http://www.newsgram.com/time-square-pre ... ebrations/
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/hindu2/201 ... important/
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/vancouver- ... -1.2409188
http://www.rediff.com/news/report/from- ... 150618.htm
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: First International Yoga Day

Post by ramana »

IDY is a strategic soft power projection of India. Hence moved to Strat forum. Please post pictures and events from.Vladivostok to Hawaii and every where in between.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

RamaY wrote:Will Michelle Obama bend it in DC on Yoga Day?
Some 20 million Americans are now said to at least occasionally bend to yoga's draw, aand thousands of them will be out on their mats in public plazas -- from New York City's Times Square to Houston's George Brown Convention Center to LA's Dodger Stadium to Washington DC's National Monument - to demonstrate or follow yogabhyas amid universal acknowledgement of its health benefits.

In Washington DC, all eyes will be on the Sylvan Theatre Stage on the National Mall, right across from the White House, to see if one of its occupants will turn up for the event.

Michelle Obama disclosed in an interview last year that she had tweaked her workout to include yoga on turning 50, and there is hope and expectation that she will demonstrate her support for the discipline given her public campaign for good eating habits and exercise, demonstrated by her ''Let Move'' campaign for American youth.

Sources said New Delhi had reached out to her almost as soon as the campaign was finalized, but they had no immediate word given her prior commitments and travel schedule (she was in US and Europe this week), not to speak of the people reading excessive political meaning into it. Still, yoga enthusiasts are holding their breath to see if Michelle ''Yogama'' will return to DC in time for a sprint across to the National Monument and a demonstration of her new yoga prowess.
Yoga Day preparations from Kashmir to Kanyakumari
This is a programme for Manav Kalyan, a tension free world and a programme to spread the message of sadbhavana: PM

I thank the United Nations and the nations of the world who co-sponsored the resolution to mark this day as International Day of Yoga: PM

We are not only celebrating a day but we are training the human mind to begin a new era of peace, sadbhavana: PM

Twisting your body is not Yoga. Had it been a case everyone in a circus would have been called a Yogi: PM Modi.

Did anyone imagine that this Rajpath can become Yogpath. This is the beginning of a new era. I bow down to the sages who encouraged Yoga through centuries: PM Modi
JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

Last edited by JwalaMukhi on 21 Jun 2015 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Some more

Hong Kong, China

Beijing, China

Madrid, Spain

Myanmar

Vienna, Austria

Herat, Afghanistan

Saklama Dam Site, Herat, Afghanistan

Osaka, Japan

Suryabaya, Indonesia

Bali, Indonesia

Fiji

Nepal

Russia

Bhurishrava
BRFite

Post by Bhurishrava »

Thank you for priceless photos
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Jakarta, Indonesia

Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Thailand

Cambodia

Colombo, Srilanka

Israel

Macau, China

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

On the occasion of First International Yoga day, it is a perfect occasion to acknowledge and pay tribute to Sri Tirumalai Krishnamacharya, the father of modern yoga.

Sri Tirumalai Krishnamacharya, the father of modern yoga, demonstrating the practices of yoga in 1938 at the age of 50.

Krishnamacharya: His Legacy and Teachings

Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

.....and here is Indus Yoga Health Club, Lahore, Pakistan....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td60zpJ4EPs
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

uuhh...aahh....
TSP HD is going down as RSS plans to take over ....

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2012/03 ... -problems/
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

truly world is flat thru YOGA!!!

Vasudeva Kutumbam and all that.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Guru Krishnamacharya's form and posture is several notches above Baba Ramdev....his stomach cavitation work is incredible.

numerical age might be 50 but mentally, physically he is no older than a teenager.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Proud day for Bharat.

It is time we start pronouncing indic nouns as they are. I request all indians please pronounce your cultural nouns correctly in public so that the message is passed. Yogue, not Yoga; Rarm, not Rama, and so on.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

NaMo is communalising the whole world. Wow. What happened to sickular intelligentia?? wait for massive roar for next few days. Dorrknob should resign, if SS and VR continues in their seat , on charges of diverting attention from this deeply communalising world event. Last heard Martians were also recorded by Mangalyaan with Mars Color Camera performing Yoga.
dsreedhar
BRFite

Post by dsreedhar »

It indeed is a proud day for India. A good initiative by Modi to project India again on global stage. Modi got the right start and has the support. Next is the hard part. He need to maintain this momentum and make sure his programs are being sincerely worked on, accounted for and start delivering results.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

47 Islamic Nations also join in on International Yoga Day

http://flip.it/b3Adq
Manny
BRFite

Post by Manny »

YOGA – INTERNATIONAL YOGA DAY!

http://www.desicontrarian.com/?p=1037

Since the time Yoga became popular in the west, the non Hindu religious conservatives and the political left who cannot bring themselves to be pluralistic and tolerant were unable to digit the fact that Yoga is rooted in Hinduism. These groups are trying to deal with this denial in different ways.

The honest Christians (ironically the evangelicals) are honest about it and acknowledge that Yoga is Hinduism and openly preach and discourage Christians from doing Yoga.

Few other Christians have tried to hijack Yoga by making their own version of Yoga called Christian Yoga. The Sun salutation is now renamed as “Son salutation”. I give them props for being creative.

But the most vile group of people are the political left I call “The capitalist Hippies”, who out rightly lie for the sake of profit. These are the carpetbaggers of Western “Yogies”. The Yoga Journal is part of this group. For this group, Hinduism means “caste and curry” and so have tried to make a false history for Yoga. Like writing articles saying Yoga pre dates Hinduism, like Hinduism even has a specific date of origin. There was an article in “Yoga Journal” about how Yoga originated in Germany and how it went to India from Germany. This is as ridiculous as the Aryan Invasion theory”.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

This one especially is striking. Goosebumps. Any idea how to get the t-shirt?
http://www.amazon.in/Posterindya-Intern ... 00ZXGZ91G/
Last edited by Comer on 21 Jun 2015 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

What a day it was. In lil Belgium it was a big hit. Thousands of people in parks for Yoga. Brussels, Antwerpen and other cities. Official logo look a bit unprofessional .............too much info on small area. Look like made on Window 98 paint brush. Over all a day to remmember. On local TV, radios they are ll praising India,yoga,tyaag,humbleness and non-violence. On Indian TV , the usual blame game,shouts,drama and what not. Yes we indians are worst enemy of india.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

GulfNews: International Yoga Day: New politics of knowledge?
In India, this process is commonly perceived to date back to Swami Vivekananda’s address at the Parliament of World Religions at Chicago in 1893. When the young Hindu monk declared that all humans are “children of immortal bliss,” he was sharing a philosophical and spiritual truth that transcends human-made boundaries of race, religious doctrine, and nationhood.

The recognition of yoga by the United Nations—an honour for the Indic civilisation—is almost a culmination of a long process. But it is a still greater triumph for all those who, regardless of their nationality, are seeking to promote holistic knowledge systems and related therapies for human well-being across the world.

krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Look closely at the logo of the yoga for peace, looks highly communal.

Btw awesome photos thanks to all.

Mighty pleased at the efforts to showcase our own culture and heritage.

Some khujilis on going in western parts of the world as Indians will embrace yoga and become yoga teachers. This will hurt westerners a lot. Many countries need yoga instructors, esp USA was making a killing here with virtually no competition.

As origins soft India as home of yoga strike strongly people prefer Indians as instructors.

Here NaMo has to plan carefully and make it rigorous with good institutes in India so that a we export quality yoga teachers.
It is over 20+$ billion industry with employment opportunities to many.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Singha wrote:47 Islamic Nations also join in on International Yoga Day

http://flip.it/b3Adq
I am waiting for Muslims to pull a theory out of their musharraf that Yoga was actually invented by MightyMo of Arabia during one of his verbal diarrhea sessions and how the evil Hindoooos stole it. :((
Only then will it become halaal to practice.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Guys, I want to get that international yoga day T-shit, one X-large for me, one large for my wife, and 2 small for my daughter and son :-). I can't wait to wear it with pride and go to my gym. Any suggestions on where I can get them?
member_29112
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_29112 »

Prediction:
Some small time xyz will use RTI to enquire the cost of organizing the whole event. By the looks of it, the amount won't be small and Kangress walla's in their infinite wisdom will criticise Modi while conveniently ignoring the cultural export that's happening.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

That official logo sealed the deal. The PMO really thought this one through. Now, no matter what anyone says yoga will belong to India forever. The globe is turned with the Indian subcontinent in focus. The head was purposely superimposed onto it. The goal of yoga is moksha which can only come from dharmic thought originating in India. The final chakra is found in the head. When this goes up every year, crowds will be facing India. Bravo Modi!
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Anish Giri is #6th FIDE rated chess player.
Giri prepared for this game by celebrating yoga day. However, as he himself stated after the game, the extra energy really wasn’t needed at all. Both players seemed very eager to exchange all the pieces and the game quickly ended in an eventless draw.
Muns
BRFite

Post by Muns »

International Day of Yoga Website. Made by Mahindra tech apparently. I'm impressed about the formal yoga protocol video they released as well. So that everyone does the same Asanas.

http://idayofyoga.org/index.php?route=common/home

NDTV (Non Dharma TV) did it's utmost however, by bringing in all experts to insist that yoga had nothing to do with Hinduism. Muslims brought in to holler the same Christian persecution complex. Rana Ayyub shouting why the vice president was not invited and that muslims are feeling marginalized by Hindus practising yoga. Not just that but i feel we're also shooting ourselves in the foot, by insisting Hinduism by repeating the mantra 'Hinduism is not a religion but a way of life'.
More things to think about, but definitely one must counter the persecution argument by Rana Ayyub. Its her tiring argument and one need only show the freedom of all sects of muslims to practice in India compared to any muslim country in the world. That Freedom itself comes from Hinduism.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Do I see lotus in the logo? Bhery kommoonal.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Today I dedicate my 90min Bikram Yoga session to the success of International Yoga.

Subhamastu!

Look at the face of the symbol. For once and all Yoga is claimed by Bharat!
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

TV coverage:

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

A shorter version:

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Anyone know who designed the logo/symbol? India is at the center of World and highlighted :-). By associating harmony and peace with India, the stature of India as a leader in that space is etched in minds.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

It was a proud day for Indians. I was in US the past week and some NRIs and colleagues that I interacted with were aware of International Yoga day even though they never do yoga themselves. En route to India on 21st, I was super happy to see very good coverage of Yoga day in Europe news channels (got to see some coverage while at Airport lounge). After landing in Bangalore on 22nd morning, positively surprised to see posters in my residential community announcing group Yoga and free yoga instructions on 21st!

Many companies (including IT and MNCs) in Bangalore are organizing Yoga sessions this week as 21st was on a Sunday. InshaAllah, I may get to conduct one such session in a large company later this week. Will post my experience here.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Tirumular considers himself as a brother-disciple / contemporary of Patanjali. more research can be done on timeline of Patanjali and Thirumular that can establish the time period of Ashtanga Yoga.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

I hope we will see many more Indian Yoga teachers every where in the world. Many of us take classes here and the teachers are all whites who learned from spending time in an Indian city.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

In paris below Eiffel tower

These people takes the aesthetics to a different level, no wonder Rafale is such a beauty.