India-US Relations : News and Discussion- II

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Relations : News and Discussion- II

Post by Sagar G »

TSJones wrote:^^^^^

"coconut" is considered to be a racial slur in many parts of the world.
Coming from the mouth of a caucasian even the word monkey is considered racist and caucasians being the torchbearers of racism that isn't surprising. So it would be better for you to know which race you are talking with before you apply your caucasian tinted world view.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

I heard Republican political commentators say that

1. The Iranian deal will be a winning issue for the Republican candidates for POTUS.
2. As soon as a Republican President is sworn in, he will tear up this piece of paper.

I don't think the Republicans understand that this is a multi-lateral deal and that China, Russia will want to resume trade with Iran - as does India - and US Republican rejection of the deal will not be binding on them; unilateral US sanctions will be pretty toothless.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

A_Gupta wrote:I heard Republican political commentators say that

1. The Iranian deal will be a winning issue for the Republican candidates for POTUS.
2. As soon as a Republican President is sworn in, he will tear up this piece of paper.

I don't think the Republicans understand that this is a multi-lateral deal and that China, Russia will want to resume trade with Iran - as does India - and US Republican rejection of the deal will not be binding on them; unilateral US sanctions will be pretty toothless.
toothless? Ok, but in case the US is the lone hold out, please don't attempt to facilitate dollar conversion in your trade deals with Iran like some other foreign banks have tried to do. Especially if the foreign bank does business in the US. it could get expensive.

this is not my personal opinion, congress makes the laws in the US and I don't think the agreement stands much of a chance in the Republican controlled congress. we'll have to wait and see.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

TSJones wrote: toothless? Ok, but in case the US is the lone hold out, please don't attempt to facilitate dollar conversion in your trade deals with Iran like some other foreign banks have tried to do. Especially if the foreign bank does business in the US. it could get expensive.
It works at present because the other nations are pretty much with the US on the current Iran sanctions. If the US rejects the Iran deal without good reason, the current set-up won't hang together. We already have a competitor to the IMF stood up in the AIIB, and there will be competitors to the current banking set up and so on, if the US does what these Republicans want to do.

It will be a slower process but it will be a US debacle just like this one:
http://blogs.cfr.org/asia/2015/03/16/th ... ld-do-now/
AIIB was set up because the US Congress could not move on changing the power equations in the IMF now that other countries contribute so much more.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielrunde ... eadership/
First, the United States has failed to pass Quota Reform at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) since 2010. As agreed to in 2010, IMF quota reform would result in a slight rejiggering of IMF shareholder votes away from Europe to emerging economies, and a doubling of the money available for global crises. The United States would see its voting share drop from 17.7 percent to 17.3 percent, but would remain the largest shareholder and retain its veto.

Although the United States agreed to these terms at the 2010 summit, it has so far failed to implement them because it requires Congressional approval. IMF Quota Reform has been mishandled by the Administration, which has been reluctant to address concerns, and the issue has been largely ignored by the Republican-controlled Congress. The possible $300 million dollar impact related to changes from one IMF account to another has not helped. Unfortunately, China has used IMF quota reform as political cover to create the AIIB.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

I agree, as long as China can hold on to its currency restrictions and present export-or-die economic policy.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I don't vote conservative but I feel sorry for the guy
:eek: :shock:
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

unlike some people I don't take politics personally.

I know, you can't possibly imagine feeling sorry for some guy, who has his religion or racial background impugned because you disagree with his conservative political stance now can you?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Oh, I think that would be ***completely unprecedented**** in American Presidential or any other politics, Utterly unimaginable! :eek: Just think of all the Catholics, let alone Jews, African-Americans, Buddhists, who have made it to a Party Nomination for President in 240 years.
I was just wondering what you MIGHT vote for, or not vote at all (no business of mine, I know, it's a free country, secret ballot, only you and the NSA need to know who you actually vote for, and Jeb Bush decides in what column that vote is counted..) :mrgreen:

But no matter. As I understand it, Republicans in COTUS support the Eyeran deal by and large - good for trade, good for weapons industry etc. But they may also vote for the deal because then they can turn around and slam the Democrats for selling out Israel and Hussein O. kowtowing to the Islamists, come next year. Hilary C's goose may be cooked, the Israel lobby is **NOT** happy. Nut&Yahoo was pretty explicit.
nvishal
BRFite

Post by nvishal »

An interview with U.S. Ambassador Richard Verma
‘We have a strategic plus partnership now’ - U.S. Ambassador Richard Verma

There's only one way to describe the "india-US relationship": - It is actually a "indian media-US relationship". New delhi doesn't even wish to be in this picture so it is not in it. The US mission and the indian media are playing it off for the parallel universe.

This guy(richard verma) is just wasting away his years. I doubt if he even knows what's going on or he is helpless.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Pride or Prejudice? What the South can learn from Germany
....As a child of immigrants with no family connection to Southern history, seeing the [confederate] flag everywhere inured me to its impact. Even Governor Haley, another Indian-American woman, said that she only recently realized the pain that the flag caused so many people. For me, it wasn’t until I left Georgia after high school that it occurred to me how wrong it was to have a Confederate battle flag flying on top of the state capital.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Indian companies are spending billions and boosting jobs in these US states
Indian companies are stepping up their spending in the US.
According to a report by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Grant Thornton (pdf), an audit and consultancy firm, 100 Indian firms have so far invested over $15.3 billion (Rs97,139 crore) across the US, creating more than 91,000 jobs.
Add another $4 billion from students and $1 billion from parents/relatives visiting the US for children's graduation coupled with tourism. That works out to about $20 billion.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 17 Jul 2015 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
KLP Dubey
BRFite

Post by KLP Dubey »

nvishal wrote:This guy(richard verma) is just wasting away his years. I doubt if he even knows what's going on or he is helpless.
:lol: Indeed. I don't know where/how BO and his office comes up with these guys. Sometimes I think it is a deliberate ploy to insult the Indian and Indian-origin American community. Anyway 2016 is not too far away and all these insects will fall off the wall soon after that.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^What makes you think the new establishment would do any better? If Hillary aunty wins, it would definitely be worse.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Jeb bush or trump? Prolly the same or slightly better, imho. Why assume that Hillary will win? That us far from given.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

vayu tuvan wrote:Jeb bush or trump? Prolly the same or slightly better, imho. Why assume that Hillary will win? That us far from given.
It doesn't matter. Whoever comes in, the paki-pasand SD will educate them appropriately about how aiding and supporting pakis is the best approach.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Trump stands for business, he will have so much patience with State dept. Or he will be even more of a d1ck than any on display yet.

I once heard this guy say on CNN on Larry King or some other show. (this is some 10 years or so ago)

'Look I don't waste my time with small news, just yesterday a boat or so capsized off the coast of India and 300 people died, but it didn't bother me, because I do not concern myself with every news'.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

But if he completely trashed the SD cabal and forces out a lot of the long-time paki-lovers that is not all bad. The new ones will step on their own mijjiles.
Falijee
BRF Oldie

Post by Falijee »

India workers win $20m US settlement
Some 200 Indian workers have won a $20m (£12.8m) claim against a US company for defrauding and exploiting them.
The Press Trust of India reported that the Alabama-based Signal International was found guilty by a federal jury for defrauding and exploiting workers brought from India.
However, when the men arrived from India in 2006, they discovered that they would not receive the green cards or the permanent residency that had been promised.

Reports say the workers also paid $1,050 a month to the firm to live in "isolated, guarded labour camps".

"The workers have waited seven long years for justice. The agreement and [an] apology from the company will allow the workers to finally move on with their lives," Jim Knoepp of SPLC told the Press Trust of India.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

First time I am hearing that Pushtun tribes could be split between Shia and Sunni. Ex. Mohmand tribe
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

UlanBatori wrote:But if he completely trashed the SD cabal and forces out a lot of the long-time paki-lovers that is not all bad. The new ones will step on their own mijjiles.
He has investment in India and hates China more than Japani or Vietnamis. Overall he will be plus for Desimen.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

As far as India is concerned, even a charmin roll is more worthwhile than Trump. From a US POV, he is providing more entertainment to this long drawn out, utterly wasteful, circus called US presidential campaign.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.thestatesman.com/news/world/ ... 76330.html
White House has cautioned a hostile Republican controlled Congress against killing the historic Iran nuclear deal saying loss of support from countries like India would lead to a collapse of the sanctions regime.

"The key to the success of this latest round of sanctions has been the aggressive enforcement of countries around the world, including countries that aren't even a party to this particular agreement -- countries like India, Japan and South Korea," the White House Press Secretary told reporters Friday.

These countries "previously relied heavily on the importation of Iranian oil -- and by scaling back their oil purchases that had a negative impact on Iran's economy but also had a negative impact on the domestic economy of those individual countries," he pointed out.

"So the point is that the sanctions regime would collapse if Congress were to kill this deal," Earnest said.
Asked to explain President Barack Obama's claim that 99 percent of the world community supports the deal, Earnest said "it was backed by "the Germans, the British, the French, the Chinese, the Russians, the South Koreans, the Japanese, the Indians."

"All of the countries that were involved in pressuring Iran to come to the negotiating table in the first place," supported the agreement between the six world powers led by the US and Iran to limit Tehran's nuclear programme.

"The fact is, if the United States Congress were to successfully kill this agreement, it would have a terrible impact on the standing of the United States in the world," Earnest said.
Manny
BRFite

Post by Manny »

http://www.desicontrarian.com/?p=1143

WHAT IF THE UNITED STATES IS LEGISLATED LIKE INDIA?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Not sure what thread to put news-items like this.
http://www.siasat.com/news/fdi-cap-foil ... or-795792/
"FDI cap foiling Boeing’s ambitious plans in Indian aerospace sector"

PS: following the comment below - here is an alternate source
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 132554.cms
Boeing keen to pick equity in more local aerospace players Mumbai, Jul 19 (PTI) On the heels of tying up with Tatas for an aerospace manufacturing joint venture and two other supply contracts since January, Boeing Corporation said it is keen to pick up equity in more companies in the sector but cited the cap on FDI as the biggest put-downer.

"We are keen to invest more here in the manufacturing sector. We are looking at picking up equity in more companies in the aerospace area as our ..

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... aign=cppst
Last edited by A_Gupta on 19 Jul 2015 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

IIRC Siasat newspaper is owned by the Owaisis. Pls be careful and check sources before posting
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... 131307.cms
Richard Nixon called Indians savages, did not give a fig for Bangla genocide: Tim Weiner
More than four decades after he became the only US president ever to be forced out of office, Richard Nixon remains a riveting subject of study for scholars. Pulitzer winner Tim Weiner is the latest to delve into this complex man, whose dangerous gamesmanship in the sub-continent changed India's perception of the US for more than 25 years before Bill Clinton began to rescue it. Weiner talks to Chidanand Rajghatta about that toxic chapter in US-India history.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

pankajs wrote:http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... 131307.cms
Richard Nixon called Indians savages, did not give a fig for Bangla genocide: Tim Weiner
This view of India is true to a very large extent even today IMO, not only among the joe-six-packs but large numbers of the white intelligentsia. Thats one reason why TSP gets all the support it does from US.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Indians have been called worse things by better men.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

CRamS wrote:
This view of India is true to a very large extent even today IMO, not only among the joe-six-packs but large numbers of the white intelligentsia. Thats one reason why TSP gets all the support it does from US.
There is often mix-up between that what defines our worth and the standard motions of doing PR.

It is not because of their "more positive impressions about Pakistan's civilizational values compared to those of India" that Americans support Pakistan. On the contrary, it is because of Pakistan's prostitution to American interests that Pakistan receives more support.

And so it is utterly irrelevant to American policies in IOR what the American "intelligentsia" or joe-six-packs thinks about us. As far as our worth is concerned, it is even more irrelevant.

It is not by "assurances" and "positive PR" that we would change American policies, but rather by making American support to Pakistan more costly and less beneficial.

Richard Nixon and his ilk can call us savages! So what? We too can call them savages! We are quit! Right?
member_29058
BRFite

Post by member_29058 »

CRamS wrote:
Most of our NGO/DIEnasty licking/scammer intelligentsia have justified,rationalized and even say worse things about India. Now they control our media,institutions of higher learning
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Cryptome ‏@Cryptomeorg 2h2 hours ago

US Embassy New Delhi SIGINT rooftop shielding huts expansion
28°35'50.67" N 77°11'18.09" E
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Interview with Indian ambassador to US. Diplomats have their skill, they don't answer a question head on, either they duck it or answer another question

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sunil-ada ... 67708.html

The question of U.S. arming of Pakistan, which continues apace, was not broached because it has become quite apparent for sometime that India has reconciled to the fact that Washington's policy toward Islamabad and New Delhi is not a zero-sum game.
So its whether or not its a zero sum game, rather US arms sales to TSP hurts India and allows TSP to punch above its weight, and help defend itself from a military response from India after a TSP terrorist provocation. The ambassador doesn't address that.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

pankajs wrote:
Cryptome ‏@Cryptomeorg 2h2 hours ago

US Embassy New Delhi SIGINT rooftop shielding huts expansion
28°35'50.67" N 77°11'18.09" E
wouldn't have anything to do with Afghanistan would it?

actually, it's to speed up your visa applications. :D
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

sanjaykumar wrote:Indians have been called worse things by better men.
Kissinger? :shock:
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

CRamS wrote:
Wonder what they view about themselves, considering the number of white (in cop uniform/excuse) on black crimes reported everyday from various states. Last I heard a black woman was killed in prison for **changing lanes**.

If they take a very honest view of themselves, then they may end up very low self esteem.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

ShauryaT wrote:

Too Many Indians analysing India and Modi govt in the west.
365 Indians talking about the first 365 days of the Modi govt

Even in the IIT leadership conference there is a topic on Future Of India
The only Indian who is in the panel and who knows the policies is the Indian Ambassador to US

Indians should stop giving information about India to the west
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

habal wrote: Wonder what they view about themselves, considering the number of white (in cop uniform/excuse) on black crimes reported everyday from various states. Last I heard a black woman was killed in prison for **changing lanes**.

If they take a very honest view of themselves, then they may end up very low self esteem.
Not at all, and this is what I marvel about whites. Their supreme self confidence and sense of racial/cultural/moral superiority is so deep, so ossified in their minds, that all of the crimes against blacks are mostly considered arising from the pathology of moral degradation that afflicts blacks. And this cuts across both conservatives and so called liberals. Very few whites of at all, can ever put themselves into the shoes of a black person and introspect on the damage they have done to them through slavery and other forms of inhuman treatment they were subjected to (I mean the kind of analysis their intellectuals would do to analyze other forms of subjugation in turd world including India). In fact, whites further believe that they are so enlightened that they have made amends in the kind of of system of governance they designed, and blacks should be greatful for that. This feeling of moral superiority is so pervasive that they don't battle an eyelid when they rant about plight of Daleeeets in India or Chinese human rights etc.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

RajeshA wrote:
There is often mix-up between that what defines our worth and the standard motions of doing PR.

It is not because of their "more positive impressions about Pakistan's civilizational values compared to those of India" that Americans support Pakistan. On the contrary, it is because of Pakistan's prostitution to American interests that Pakistan receives more support.

And so it is utterly irrelevant to American policies in IOR what the American "intelligentsia" or joe-six-packs thinks about us. As far as our worth is concerned, it is even more irrelevant.

It is not by "assurances" and "positive PR" that we would change American policies, but rather by making American support to Pakistan more costly and less beneficial.
Very true!

But I'm not sure that Pakistan (via Taliban, terrorist organizations) taking pot-shots at American soldiers and civilian personnel, sheltering OBL, proliferating, etc., can be made any more costly to America.

The cost to American support for Pakistan then has to come via Indian unfriendly acts; but it won't make sense for India to do these in areas where Indian and American interests coincide - e.g., balancing Chinese power.

I also think there is a long game, in which American public opinion, intelligentsia and business leaders increasingly turn against Pakistan and/or in favor of India; and that eventually percolates to the policy and governmental levels.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

When moi lived and studied and in the khanate, I fell victim to the fallacious thinking that India and Amrika were somehow 'natural' allies in the long term....

... I now see I couldn't have been more wrong. We're essentially 'substitutes' for the same market - that of global memetic/ideational leadership... the whole issue with 'universal' values comes from there anyhow.

The khanate establishment to its credit clearly seems to recognize this. Hence is willing to putup with a lot of cost (e.g., Pak perfidy) but will not (now or perhaps ever) let go of a valuable constraint on India's global growth ambitions. Only.

JMTPs and other standard disclaimers fully apply.