Armoured Vehicles: News & Discussion

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: Armoured Vehicles Discussion Thread - August 9 , 2014

Post by SaiK »

sometimes it is better to shoot the mailman just for fun! ;)
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

ISIS using Kornet against Iraqi M1A1M Abrams

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1392878.html

Iraqi forces using Kornet against ISIS targets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU8QBHmXcmk
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The Postman is equipped with the latest Natasha ERA/armour,not like the M-1s!
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Khalsa wrote:
Philip wrote:Is this a delayed-action report to one earlier or a new one? Don't shoot the postman! :rotfl:

PS:Are these tank inventory figs. accurate? 600+ T-55s still in service? No mention of the 120+ A MK-1s either. Is there an IA inventory/proposed force plan available?
I hardly believe its a reliable source plus the fact that it ommits Mention of Arjun.
Just random click bait ...
Can't comment on numbers but T-55s are still active in IA. Got upgraded with some Israeli maal (comm/vision). Firepower/protection is still the same.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

@ Sid

T-55 are active in IA is a know fact.

Question to you :

Q1) Is there any active regt. of (100%)T-55 in IA?

Q2) Is it active as in the role of MBT? or other role?
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

^^yes to your first question, not clear on the second one. Not sure how IA intend to use it (of course not in front line units), but if you are thinking of auxiliary duties like mine-plow then no.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Philip wrote:The Postman is equipped with the latest Natasha ERA/armour,not like the M-1s!
Good one! :wink:
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

@ Sid

Which IA Armored regt. is 100% T-55 can you name? or even 20%? or 10%?

There is NO IA Armored regt. of T-55 as of today.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

I believe most the battle worthy T55s have been handed over to Engineering Regiments + plus few had their gun removed and created into fast moving operation command post for exercises only (not real battle scenrio)

I remember seeing both in pictures during exercises pictures.

AFAIK the two T55 regts in RAJ switched to Arjun Mk1.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

d_berwal wrote:@ Sid

Which IA Armored regt. is 100% T-55 can you name? or even 20%? or 10%?

There is NO IA Armored regt. of T-55 as of today.
Ok... if you are so sure you should have said so in your first post.

No need to hyperventilate, I believe you.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

@ Sid
no point responding to you!

@ Khalsa
where did you get the T-55 command post idea from?

IA used BMP-II based command post vehicles from Regt. to up the chain of command

T-55 even the one given to Engnrs are being replaced by T-72 based Troll and T-72 based FWMP with mine plough

what ever T-55 based troll remain in IA are being replaced by T-72 based one either troll or FWMP with plough
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

@d_berwal

Since your tone is a little bit condescending, let me ask you a very straight question.

Whats the source of your information?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Project Gulmohar was the program to upgrade the T-55s at IA BRD. Much like the OFB, the BRD had a lot of trouble and the project ended up mostly being limited in scope to overhauls and limited upgrades.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Karan,

Wasn't T-55 Gulmohar upgrade the one which had to be scaled down because of sanctions on Yugoslavia or some other country?

Edit: My bad....
“Project Gulmohar has reached fructification as the workshop has completed the overhaul of its last T-55,” said Commandant Brig N K Dutta. “Project Gulmohar was started in 1987 with technical help from Poland. It was inaugurated by the then defence minister K C Pant,” said Dutta.
http://www.thepunekar.com/t-55-tanks-ov ... i/2008/01/
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

d_berwal wrote:T-55 even the one given to Engnrs are being replaced by T-72 based Troll and T-72 based FWMP with mine plough

what ever T-55 based troll remain in IA are being replaced by T-72 based one either troll or FWMP with plough
Berwal Sahib,

Russian tanks Troll and the rest Trawl..... :mrgreen:
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Armoured Engineer Regiments use a Full Width Mine Plough to clear the entire width of the track and mark it.

Armoured Regiments on the other hand use a lighter Track Width Mine Plough to clear only the tracks which the rest of the tanks follow.

Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

@ Khalsa
IA used BMP-II based command post vehicles from Regt. to up the chain of command
T-55 even the one given to Engnrs are being replaced by T-72 based Troll and T-72 based FWMP with mine plough
Where did the idea come from ?

Why the heck should I tell you that ? your tone is indeed condescending to me and the others.
Learn to speak bravely instead of sharpely ...

Do you think the IA logs all their ideas with their authors with me... ?

I have seen a T55 missing its fun gun portion. replaced with a large glass dome working its way with the armoured columns.
I can't remember what year it was but must be more than 2010 atleast.

And unless you don't have the QM ORBAT list on hand... don't just challenge for sake of challenging.
Back it up Observations...

prfftt now
Hobbes
BRFite

Post by Hobbes »

Khalsa wrote:

@ Khalsa
Where did the idea come from ?

Why the heck should I tell you that ? your tone is indeed condescending to me and the others.

I have seen a T55 missing its fun gun portion. replaced with a large glass dome working its way with the armoured columns.

And unless you don't have the QM ORBAT list on hand... don't just challenge for sake of challenging.

prfftt now
:rotfl:
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

The Sources is highly questionable but ..

Amarta is now 2.5x over budget... putting it at US$15m a pop??
http://www.businessinsider.com/russia-c ... 015-7?IR=T
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Singhaji,
your idea for a dedicated ATGM carrier based on a tank platform - http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-i ... 1719138825
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

From the above linked website

Is this a missile carrying fighting vehicle or is this just for the purpose of the test?

Anyway, nice missile and vehicle. I guess the Nag works similarly, but at a much bigger scale.

By the way, the missile is DAGR
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

beautiful mockup of the merkava turret. fooled me until i looked at the frontal hull. we should be converting BMP2s into this mode, with a hellacious number of Nags produced.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

they never throw anything away

we always have a study which finds it uneconomical to do any changes and start down the chain of a new request
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

yes even the sherman tanks were uparmoured i and used for quite while.

I think this is a sherman tank with a bolted on rocket launching system...must be rotating also!
our IA never got beyond a few dozen grad systems. note the crudeness of the metal tubes and welds...done at village welding shop level...but it delivered huge rockets and must have saved them on occasions...it would never pass the famous winter, summer and hi-alt trials here.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the US army used smaller rockets like this in WW2 itself.
we could have made use of 100s of retired BMPs and Vijayanta/T55 , removed the heavy turret and main gun and mounted a scary number of grad and pinaka rockets cheaply instead of the limited nos of gold plated fully imported by BEML Tatra vehicles we have currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb-XsGfEZzc

perfect is the mortal enemy of "good enough and effective"

people do get creative and practical when national survival is at stake like IDF and in WW2

TSPA with its dara adam khel Tier2 OFB of sorts probably has more 122mm rocket launchers than india! :rotfl:
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Even now, strip the turrets from the T55, call the local welder mechanic fellow and jiffy up some rig to hold 10 Nags per. Send one T55 per squadron of MBTs. Deal done. Hang back, pick your target, let loose.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Khalsa wrote:

prfftt now
sirji

[link]http://www.sainiksamachar.nic.in/englis ... 15(iv).jpg[/link]

Is this the LARGE GLASS DOME working its way with armored columns you saw?

its form your own post on BFR on 22 Aug 2011

You have deliberately pounced on me on glass dome theory of your, when actually its a glass window (where the gun meets the turret)

does the forum rules say that a members tone can't be condescending? ( well the fault lies in converting my hindi thoughts to english and my english vocab is poor, i had to actually see a dictionary for understanding "condescending")

what did i post that APP ko itne MIRCHI lagi?

you can equate a glass window to large glass dome, and i can't ask you where you got this idea form?

Khalsa ji i am not challenging you or anyone, i am putting my thoughts on what is publically available information and you are a party to such information.

I never post/reply just for the sake of it like many-many others.

What is your definition of command post AFV? (hope its not a glass dome)
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

d_berwal

no jee please. Just Khalsa is fine.
yes that is the T-55 i was talking about. Fine Job searching for it.

Lets move on... dome was incorrect use of the word. Glass Pane is more like it.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Army's RFI for tanks not in conflict with DRDO project: Parrikar
Parrikar, in a written reply to Rajya Sabha, said the proposals invited by the army are "for a design competition to identify innovative design options which will form the base for a combat vehicle platform".
These platforms (FRCVs) are to meet the futuristic requirements of the services beyond 2027 and are not in conflict with the current MBT Arjun Programme and its future orders,
" he clarified.
Out of total indented quantity of 124 numbers, 122 MBT Arjun Mk-I have been produced and inducted into army," he said.

"Acceptance of Necessity (AoN) for quantity 118 for MBT Arjun Mk-II is in place,"
the minister added.

-Ankit
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

T-72 Drift Enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik7ZM5SVBrU

Preparations for the annual Tank Biathlon World Championship, held at the Alabino range near Moscow, were interrupted by a spectacular incident as Kuwaiti crew driving a T-72 tank couldn't handle a sharp turn and flipped over their armored vehicle. Fortunately, the crew was unharmed and the tank itself didn't receive any serious damage.
http://sputniknews.com/videoclub/201508 ... 82110.html
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

d_berwal wrote:T-72 Drift Enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik7ZM5SVBrU

Preparations for the annual Tank Biathlon World Championship, held at the Alabino range near Moscow, were interrupted by a spectacular incident as Kuwaiti crew driving a T-72 tank couldn't handle a sharp turn and flipped over their armored vehicle. Fortunately, the crew was unharmed and the tank itself didn't receive any serious damage.
http://sputniknews.com/videoclub/201508 ... 82110.html
cant speak Russian but I am sure he said " I am so gonna upload this to youtube"
Great find.... fantastic
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Ofcourse, it is in conflict. India is basically forfeiting its hard-earned indigenous MBT design capability. In another 15-years time, it will be like the Marut.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Makes a farce out of Make in India!
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Mere fact that only 124 Arjuns were built/bought and the loser T-90 is order in the thousands, is a celebration of our corruption and gleeful charge towards dependence and ultimate loss of sovereignity in the true sense.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

srai wrote:
Ofcourse, it is in conflict. India is basically forfeiting its hard-earned indigenous MBT design capability. In another 15-years time, it will be like the Marut.
Exactly. The response is completely silent regarding FMBT, which should be the primary point of contention.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

This video is from Tank biathlon 2014.
One thing that can be observed is that T-72's cannot shoot on the move. They have to either stop completely and move at very low speeds of <5km / hour to fire at the target. Even then it's missing the target. Not a single hit. The Russians who are experts in this tank can get a single hit probably because they really stopped and fired. All this on a surface which is almost flat. The acceleration of T-72 seems more similar to a person with Asthma trying to run.
The Chinese are far more confident with their tank and can fire at static targets while moving at <15 km /hr and still hit the target.
Dont understand how the light weight T-72 which forms a large portion of our arsenal is going to face the enemy except run around without getting a single shot correctly. Their goes the highly maneuverable argument of the T lobby. Its a death trap with no benefit. All the T-72's need to be replaced immediately with Arjun MK-II. After watching the video it do seem that the Chinese tanks with Pakistan is a serious challenge against the T series. If they make an armored thrust we are really helpless except for the few Arjun MK-1 which we have fielded.
P Chitkara
BRFite

Post by P Chitkara »

Today's TOI report says army doesn't want the MKII - saw it in the print edition. Not sure if this is a fact or twisted fact. BTW, what is the latest with the MKII along with its prospects of getting into the army? Quick Googling doesn't seem to give any updates post Feb, this year.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Tx Thakur.If the upgrade could also incorporate a few ATGMs as well,it would be even more capable. The IA should let the Indian corp. sector to take the existing platform and give them free rein to improve upon the listed improvements.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

AU-220M
Russia Brings Back the Good Ole 57 Caliber Gun
14.08.2015The long-forgotten 57 mm caliber guns are being given a new lease on life in the Russian armed forces with a new such cannon raising admiring eyebrows everywhere.

Russia’s Answer to NATO: Robotic Cannon and Smart Anti-Torpedo
Originally designed for use on small ships, the AU-220M 57 mm automatic gun was later adapted for land use. The result – a truly magic gun, which is bound to be the biggest attraction grabber at this year’s Russian Arms Expo in Nizhny Tagil.

With a rate of fire of 300 rounds per minute and a horizontal range of 16 kilometers this gun is an ideal weapon against all types of aircraft and armored vehicles, including tanks.

Well, a 57 mm projectile will hardly cut through the 1 meter-thick front armor of an Abrams or Leopard tank, but a hail of high-explosive projectiles will surely wipe out optics, aerials, smash caterpillar tracks and jam the turret.

In addition to its high rate of fire, the heavy 57 mm gun module which boats an uninhabited turret, active protection and an excellent Russian-designed fire control system, performs easy 180 degree turns while ensuring highly accurate fire.

Also featured at the Nizhny Tagil expo will be a new version of the BMP-3 armored vehicle sporting a 57 mm gun combat module.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150814/ ... z3inATsjPO
PS:We've used the 57mm caliber before on IN warships.G class FFGs and Nanuchka corvettes. However,the new auto 57mm cannon would be ideal for our new smaller corvettes and patrol craft,which currently use 30mm cannon derived from BMP guns.