India-US Relations : News and Discussion- II

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Relations : News and Discussion- II

Post by arshyam »

Saar, please check Swarajya mag, they have the letter and the list. Typing from phone, so am not able to paste it here.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Add a few more Jingos - Noble laureate Michael Levitt (Stanford), Another one Physics Nobel David Gross (who has reportedly going to help Indian Institutes to excel in research)...

Levitt is quoted by News Papers:
I am so excited about this event. As a fan of so many aspects of Indian life and culture, it will be a distinct pleasure to hear Prime Minister Modi’s address,

Extending my own experiences in discovering something significant through research, I would say that problem solving starts with inquisitive mind, selection of problem, intuition, and hard work. I am sure Modi is up to this challenge,

Meanwhile .. Last week I had a talk with a really liberal Economics prof - who has been in US for 40+ years, (from the same school where our friend the Associate Prof V L comes from - ) was gloating that he kept his Indian Citizenship all those years.. and how great India is (and going to be)..

Also walking down the devils slide trail (near San Fransisco) ran into some random hikers, including a bicyclist from South Korea..their knowledge of Modi was truer than those "Scholars"..
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Betraying their illiteracy over the Digital India campaign and their abject lack of understanding of the privacy debate in India, these intellectual exhibitionists have now made a mockery of the unfortunate circumstances of MM Kalburgi’s death by seeking to make political capital of it in California.
Hmm! Someone hu may have been in the AAUP Soccer Stadium where the FOIL presented that 'link' - because there was a murder in Karnataka, India, they are "threatened" in Los Angeles (Watts?) and New Yoik. I think someone quoted and slammed them immediately there for that.

I like this writer's style. Now that, and the 124-signature Petition from India, define Jingostan. Letter whose link I posted from Mongolia is merely a Welcome. 8) Absolutely no Jingostani in that.

Thanks! AmberG, for posting those Nobel Laureates' comments!!!! Beautiful.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

From Amber G.'s second link:
Kishwar said endorsements to the counter-petition hadn’t come from admirers of Modi alone. “They have come even from those who are fairly critical of the functioning of the Modi government. I include myself in this category. We are supporting the PM because their (US-based academics) hate-Modi campaign has clear ‘Hurt-India’ overtones,’ said Kishwar, who edits the journal Manushi.

The counter petition said those who had signed the anti-Digital India petition had crossed the line between “hitting out at Modi” and “hurting India”. “E-governance and digitisation have produced dramatic results in curbing corruption. When citizens are yearning for it, US academicians are calling for an economic boycott.”

Kishwar said, “We never heard (from them) that Pakistan, which is the mother of terrorism, be boycotted or China, which is conducting human rights abuses in Tibet, be economically boycotted. At least some of us are convinced there are vested interests behind such moves. It is a consistent witch hunt that has gone on for about a decade and I think it is time we stood up and say ‘enough is enough’.”
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

UlanBatori wrote:

Thanks! AmberG, for posting those Nobel Laureates' comments!!!! Beautiful.
Levitt's comments has made it to the Times of India.. Sorry if already posted.
Nobel laureate (ignores Left-Libs) to attend NaMo's Silicon Valley event
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

arshyam wrote:Saar, please check Swarajya mag, they have the letter and the list. Typing from phone, so am not able to paste it here.
Now able to post this...

American Professors Issue Statement Welcoming Mr. Modi - Swarajya Mag
A coalition of American academics have put together a statement extending a welcome to Prime Minister Modi in advance of his trip to Silicon Valley. The statement discusses Digital India and several other issues and is signed by over 150 U.S based academics, based at prominent U.S colleges and universities.

In the email circulating the petition, Dr Aseem Shukla and Prof Narayan Komerath have stated that the said statement has ‘a very strong representation from faculty in engineering disciplines, who, arguably, are best prepared to comment on Digital India as well as the Aadhaar program.’

Signatories include Aseem Shukla, Ramesh Rao, Subhash Kak, Anantanand Rambachan, Saswati Sarkar and Mukul Asher. According to the press release, the statement will be ‘delivered to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) prior to Mr. Modi’s arrival, and also to him personally when he reaches Northern California.’ The full statement is reproduced below.

Early in the month a group of academics, many belonging to the far Left, had signed a petition expressing concern about PM Modi’s visit to the Silicon valley, the government of India’s ‘Digital India’ programme and violation of privacy norms amongst other things.
Please go to the article at the Swarajya site to read the text of the letter and the list of signatories (I counted 150). Hope there are more than a few BRFites on it :mgreen:.

{Deleted}
Last edited by Suraj on 16 Sep 2015 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do NOT identify people.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

A_Gupta wrote:From Amber G.'s second link:
Kishwar said endorsements to the counter-petition hadn’t come from admirers of Modi alone. “They have come even from those who are fairly critical of the functioning of the Modi government. I include myself in this category. We are supporting the PM because their (US-based academics) hate-Modi campaign has clear ‘Hurt-India’ overtones,’ said Kishwar, who edits the journal Manushi.
The counter petition said those who had signed the anti-Digital India petition had crossed the line between “hitting out at Modi” and “hurting India”. “E-governance and digitisation have produced dramatic results in curbing corruption. When citizens are yearning for it, US academicians are calling for an economic boycott.”At least some of us are convinced there are vested interests behind such moves. It is a consistent witch hunt that has gone on for about a decade and I think it is time we stood up and say ‘enough is enough’.”
This was the gist of my reButtal on that article by arrogant scholarly prostitutes selling the sacred virtues of their profession. On second note , these Idiots show ignorance of high degree and malice in their aim to hurt national security of India. NSA have office in Google HQ etc where even CEO cannot enter ( as per ex CEO Schmidt). USG have backdoor access to almost all the high technology product produced by USA. Let them attempt same with USG and get deportation papers delivered by hand.
Last edited by Prem on 16 Sep 2015 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Excitement in Sillicon Valley..(I like this photo)

Reaction of Google/MS/FB CEO's ..to protest sign "चुप्पी तोड़ो , आगे आओ" (Come forward, Break Silence..Raise your voice against ..Solve the murder of Kalburgi and 1000 "genocides" ..etc..)

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Last edited by ..an admin..
Do NOT identify people.
THANK YOU! (It is not helpful to link people's identity or disclose private info.)
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ My apologies, just got excited.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Digital India will bring the genius of more than billion Indians in the global market(maar-koot). Hell-of-lot intellectual wealth, brain and experience dwell in Indian rural neighborhoods.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

UB and AmberG thanks a lot for your initiative.

nageshks pass it on.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

And here I thought the "progressive", "open-minded", "environmentally friendly" libtards from all corners of our world be the first to embrace the digital Indian campaign, or the nuclear power campaign.

I guess it's only progressive if some western company rakes in millions and billions from it. Seriously is there no law in the constitution for this blatant treason? Atleast curb the home grown back stabbers if you can't curb the yamreeki ones.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://blogs.cfr.org/asia/2015/09/15/ho ... s-a-power/
"How Americans See India as a Power"
In a question about how confident Americans would feel in a country’s ability to “deal responsibly with world problems,” a very meagre 34 percent of Americans overall either had “a great deal” or “a fair amount” of confidence in India (Appendix Figure 4). That puts India on par with China, and two points behind South Korea. Even more interesting is the significant partisan gap in answers to this question. Democrats had much more confidence in India’s ability to deal “responsibly” than Republicansa full fourteen points more. Still, India does not break the 50 percent mark with either party. Some 41 percent of Democrats had “a great deal” or “fair amount” of confidence in India’s handling world problems, and just 27 percent of Republicans answered the same way. For Independents it was 34 percent.
A much more bipartisan view comes through in the question about desirability for a country to “exert strong leadership in world affairs” (Appendix Figure 5). Overall, 63 percent of respondents see a strong Indian role in the world as either “very” or “somewhat” desirable. The gap between Democrats and Republicans narrows here, just five points. More Democrats than Republicans—67 percent to 62 percentsee Indian global leadership as very or somewhat desirable. India rates higher on this question than South Korea (62), China (51), or Russia (43), but below Japan (73) and the EU (80).
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Wait...they asked one of the most politically clueless populations of the world about their opinion on India's ability to be a world power? The residents of a nation given to globally irresponsible acts are evaluating India's ability to be responsible? :lol: A nation where if you are a nerdy school kid named Ahmed who makes an Arduino powered clock and brings it to school to show to his teacher, another teacher calls the cops and you get handcuffed and arrested for bringing a "bomb"? :rotfl: Give me a break. :roll: You might as well ask the Pakis on India's ability to be a democracy.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

^^ It's relevant to the India-US thread. However dumb the people there maybe, they'll elect and demand from their representatives (not that they'll listen but still) about how the US foreign policy towards other countries should be.

This study gives a general feeling on the public perception of India, it's power projection ability, etc. The "responsibility" part probably refers to whether India will flush her national interests down the toilet for that of the western (US,UK and co.) interests; fighting with china, providing canon fodder for the million-man PL Armed forces ityadi.

The 40ish percent favorable rating is kinda surprising given the bbc type documentaries that constantly keep flowing on US documentary tvs every now and then. Strange stuff. Unlike documentaries made about China these days that is more shakinaw and how the US might soon be a lost cause etc. etc. Either way opinion of fairly dumb american populace on India's place in the world is as important as a briturds opinion on our space program. It's still an interesting statistic nonetheless.

No point in being needlessly aggressive.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

they'll elect and demand from their representatives (not that they'll listen but still) about how the US foreign policy towards other countries should be.

-
no they don't. most of congress is gerrymandered anyways.

these "representatives" are the same people who do not pass something 70%, 80%, even 90% of americans want - like background check for gun sale. these are the same people who get all apesh1t about iran but remain ignorant of pakis.

foreign policy? majority of these people cannot understand any nuance beyond muslims = bad. muslims = brown. therefore brown = bad.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Raja Bose wrote:Wait...they asked one of the most politically clueless populations of the world about their opinion on India's ability to be a world power? The residents of a nation given to globally irresponsible acts are evaluating India's ability to be responsible? :lol: A nation where if you are a nerdy school kid named Ahmed who makes an Arduino powered clock and brings it to school to show to his teacher, another teacher calls the cops and you get handcuffed and arrested for bringing a "bomb"? :rotfl: Give me a break. :roll: You might as well ask the Pakis on India's ability to be a democracy.
Yes, the story about Ahmed and the clock is amazing..Thank God (and rational minds) that the Kid is being invited to the White House by Obama to see his clock. A Physics prof in MIT tweeted that that's the kind of curious kid they want in MIT. Hopefully this may turn out to be for better for the young digital electronic tinkerer... and the silly English teacher (and the Principal) gets to learn their lesson.

But, unfortunately this kind of incidents do not always involve some brown kid named "Ahmad".. I know a white-so-called-all-american MIT girl named Star who got arrested for wearing a circuit board with LED lights showing number "6" (in MIT course 6 represents Electric Engineering and Computer Science)..
Even reputable papers like Washington Post, NY Times and Time called (and kept calling it a "Fake Bomb".. not to mention Police chief kept insisting it was a fake bomb (See WP story - Link given below)..
(I know Star (the girl), and know people who have seen the circuit board, and it is really amazing that Boston Police chief did not - even after examining the board in detail taking their time - admit the mistake .)
(LInk to WP article.. (please read the details: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00699.html-)

I know a case in India, where well known Indian/American scientists were writing to GOI to help a fellow scientist who was arrested and harassed -- the excuse was that they found a "wire less/spying device"..
The Indian Pandus kept the device for MONTHS (and the scientist in jail).. never mind the device was a color TV built from a kit (which was very popular in US in those days)..!

And of course, who can forget the silliness of Americans who stopped US/Chinese star scientist Tsing..who was carrying "log tables" (almost all scientist had those in 50's and 60's before electronic calculators became popular) which were claimed as "classified nuclear bomb data"...

So perhaps these kind of incidents are not that unique after all...
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

I bet Indians also kill Sikhs because they mistook them for talibanis or police shoots and kills someone because they thought they were suspicious. US police killed some 30 people per month since 2015 began. Please detest from equal-equal to US, america really is exceptional in its ridiculousness.
It's the wealth and hardwork of their immediate ancestors who toiled hard, invented things, studied hard and were mostly humble that made them a superpower. Then came the high and might 'murrica generation kicking traditions, families, love, patience, knowledge for parties, uncommitted sex, narcissism and overt arrogance. Not to forget the military misadventures around the world.

Actually the military adventurism has been a classic american trait since it's inception, but there were actually hardworking people, working and building things to keep the military afloat unlike the post ww2 generation that's dumb as hell. In their own world goblessmerrica and cure their delusions of grandeur.

All that survey does is it gives a quick look at general perceptions about India, who cares what they blabber. That's why I said it's an interesting statistic nothing more nothing less.

Btw, Gus saar, the pro-gun lobby is as big as the anti-gun lobby and they are richer and more aggressive. For every bleeding heart liberal there is in america crying over some dead paki, there's a christian extremist white boy laughing and (sometimes literally) pissing on their bodies. Being Indian and all, I'd probably do the same, but my point is, the republican-democratic divide is what decides what america will do, as much as US policies (if it exists) is influenced by lobby groups, it's also influenced by popular opinion.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

I should have put the conclusion also, by Alyssa Ayres:
Putting this all together, we can see that Americans have a better-than-middling desire to see greater Indian leadership in the world. But we aren’t quite sure whether India will “deal responsibly” with problems—although Democrats are more likely than Republicans to think so. Combined with the medium-warmth thermometer rating, and the 50 percent view that India is “somewhat important” to the United States, it’s clear there’s still some work ahead before the American public see India as a front-line global partner.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Responsibly being nodding yes yes to wutever the US does no doubt.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

>>> I know a white-so-called-all-american MIT girl named Star who got arrested for wearing a circuit board with LED lights showing number "6" (in MIT course 6 represents Electric Engineering and Computer Science)..
Even reputable papers like Washington Post, NY Times and Time called (and kept calling it a "Fake Bomb".. not to mention Police chief kept insisting it was a fake bomb (See WP story - Link given below)..
(I know Star (the girl), and know people who have seen the circuit board, and it is really amazing that Boston Police chief did not - even after examining the board in detail taking their time - admit the mistake .)
(LInk to WP article.. (please read the details: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 0699.html-)

Entering an airport with this sort of stuff & playdough in the hands (clearly intended to freak people out as an activation device/explosive), and an airport where there has been a bomb scare previously is far more egregious than a kid going to school with a clock.

There is no equivalence.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

the pro-gun lobby is as big as the anti-gun lobby
i am not talking one lobby vs another lobby. i am talking popular public opinion against lawmaking. popular opinion is background checks on gun sales.

from pew poll

85% of people want it.

what sort of representative democracy does US have that it cannot pass this and STILL have the SAME people get elected again and again in congress.

i'll tell you. the useless kind where people are clueless and helpless.

and these people's opinion on india matters because they are a representative democracy...right..
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Amber G., I dont think the 2 cases are similar in any way. That white girl strolled into an airport wearing a circuit board with dangling wires and got arrested. I think that shows lack of common sense on her part in the same way as some dude talking loudly about bombs in the TSA security line. I am sure she is allowed to as she put it, express herself just like the dude is allowed to talk about bombs under Freedom of speech and expression but then does that exhibit good sense on their part?

It is in no way equivalent to some little kid bringing a science project clock to school, getting commended by his science teacher and then getting arrested becoz another teacher thought its a bomb. You wanna bet that if the kid was white and named Sam, this wouldn't have happened. Truth is, there are tons of ignorant and racially bigoted folks even in the land of the free and brave. Let's not try to paper that over.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Karan M wrote:Responsibly being nodding yes yes to wutever the US does no doubt.
Yessuh yessuh :mrgreen:
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

some real giant PhDs and MDs signed the Modi petition...
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Alka_P wrote:All that survey does is it gives a quick look at general perceptions about India, who cares what they blabber. That's why I said it's an interesting statistic nothing more nothing less.
I'm sincerely curious. If public perception doesn't matter, what was the point of the dueling faculty petition v. welcome letter for PM Modi?

If you say it isn't about public perception but about Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, it is not as though any significant Silicon Valley entrepreneur lacks a advisory grou or think-tank of his/her own that they would take this faculty petition seriously, so I don't buy it.

I'm afraid I'll provoke another Shiv's essay on the disease of mentally colonized Hindus who worry about "log kyaa kahenge". But with all respect, that misses the point that the point of public relations and one of the points of diplomacy is to sway public opinion -- because it matters. The welcome letter effort was great precisely because it addresses that -- not because of "log kyaa kahenge" but because it is motivated by what we want people to think, and we're giving them solid reasons to think that way.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The new welcoming letter to PM Modi is a great initiative . It's great to see something like that signed by so many technological luminaries. It's far more credible when a group of professors in these fields speak in support of the PM's actions, than when a bunch of liberal arts dilettantes write a 'protest letter' focus on technology none of them are technically competent to talk about. That letter had about as much weight as an imaginary one by a bunch of Computer Science professors bitterly complaining about some prose by Shakespeare.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

A_Gupta wrote:
Alka_P wrote:All that survey does is it gives a quick look at general perceptions about India, who cares what they blabber. That's why I said it's an interesting statistic nothing more nothing less.
I'm sincerely curious. If public perception doesn't matter, what was the point of the dueling faculty petition v. welcome letter for PM Modi?

If you say it isn't about public perception but about Silicon Valley entrepreneurs, it is not as though any significant Silicon Valley entrepreneur lacks a advisory grou or think-tank of his/her own that they would take this faculty petition seriously, so I don't buy it.

I'm afraid I'll provoke another Shiv's essay on the disease of mentally colonized Hindus who worry about "log kyaa kahenge". But with all respect, that misses the point that the point of public relations and one of the points of diplomacy is to sway public opinion -- because it matters. The welcome letter effort was great precisely because it addresses that -- not because of "log kyaa kahenge" but because it is motivated by what we want people to think, and we're giving them solid reasons to think that way.
I don't care about "log kya kahenge" either. I actually agree with your argument, and I was arguing for the same point. Guess I gotta write more clearly :oops:
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

A_Gupta wrote:

I guess we are in that spot wherein on the one hand we need to influence public opinion abroad (and at some level pander to it) to meet national objectives viz access to technology and capital, whereas on the other hand, at some level we realize that constantly seeking to meet the above moving goalpost will be an exercise in futility (beyond a point) and may actually have us compromise on what we want. No easy answers.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Suraj wrote:The new welcoming letter to PM Modi is a great initiative . It's great to see something like that signed by so many technological luminaries. It's far more credible when a group of professors in these fields speak in support of the PM's actions, than when a bunch of liberal arts dilettantes write a 'protest letter' focus on technology none of them are technically competent to talk about. That letter had about as much weight as an imaginary one by a bunch of Computer Science professors bitterly complaining about some prose by Shakespeare.
LOL after all the rants about genocidal eebil pagan hindoos, it had (gasp) a total of (TWO) 2 references to the perils of a digital world. Some book and some link.
Take a hard look gentlemen at what passes for "research" in the liberal arts.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

arshyam wrote:Now able to post this...

American Professors Issue Statement Welcoming Mr. Modi - Swarajya Mag
A coalition of American academics have put together a statement extending a welcome to Prime Minister Modi in advance of his trip to Silicon Valley. The statement discusses Digital India and several other issues and is signed by over 150 U.S based academics, based at prominent U.S colleges and universities.

In the email circulating the petition, Dr Aseem Shukla and Prof Narayan Komerath have stated that the said statement has ‘a very strong representation from faculty in engineering disciplines, who, arguably, are best prepared to comment on Digital India as well as the Aadhaar program.’

Signatories include Aseem Shukla, Ramesh Rao, Subhash Kak, Anantanand Rambachan, Saswati Sarkar and Mukul Asher. According to the press release, the statement will be ‘delivered to the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) prior to Mr. Modi’s arrival, and also to him personally when he reaches Northern California.’ The full statement is reproduced below.

Early in the month a group of academics, many belonging to the far Left, had signed a petition expressing concern about PM Modi’s visit to the Silicon valley, the government of India’s ‘Digital India’ programme and violation of privacy norms amongst other things.
Please go to the article at the Swarajya site to read the text of the letter and the list of signatories (I counted 150). Hope there are more than a few BRFites on it :mgreen:.

A nice gob stopping riposte to the load of drivel brought out by self hating left leaning pseudo secular and Anti-Hindu academics of Abrahamic faiths based in the US among whom those involved in the sciences seem to be very thinly represented. Depressing to see the hatred for Prime Minister Modi permits acting against Indian interests in alliance with Abrahamic Forces inimical to Hindu’s by those of Indian origin. Idiotic that a group with next to no science background thinks it is qualified to expound on science policy:

Clicky
ashvin
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ashvin »

It really depresses me to read that these liberal academics of Indic origin are all up against Modiji. Why? Why are they obsessed in this vilification? They speak of human rights violation like they live in some Shangrila where human rights have been sacrosanct for centuries. I never really understood these people and their compulsive obsessive anti-India or rather anti-Hindu position. While I was there in school I would avoid these people.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Karan M wrote:Take a hard look gentlemen at what passes for "research" in the liberal arts.
If I may, lets not dish the entire liberal arts community, especially the Indian origin one based on the actions of these few left leaning hypocrites. Some of the most strident criticism of their actions have come from other liberal arts types. (Disclaimer, I'm not from the liberal arts fraternity).

One thing many folks (I'm not talking specifically about here) need to realise is that harsh response and intemperate language, even though justified, just plays into the stereotype of "intolerant Hindu fundamentalist trolls".

Give the devil its due. Liberal arts image creation and image management is top class because that's what they do for a living. And whether one likes it or not they have hyped the stereotype of "Rightwing, ill educated Hindu Right Internet bullies". And they liberally apply this to anyone who disagrees with the POV they are hawking.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

In that vein, Amit and jingos (note the fine distinction: I am larning from dem 'Skoliars', a few of whom have even taught dem gradoo-ate courses):

Faculty Response to Harassment by Hindu Nationalist Organizations
http://academeblog.org/2015/09/15/facul ... nizations/

Hindu American Foundation Statement
http://academeblog.org/2015/09/16/hindu ... statement/

If someone is standing around with a paint spray gun and a gallon of paint, hitting everyone passing by, one can either leave the place to keep one's chaddis clean, or put on a plastic sheet and walk right in and stuff the gun up the someone's u nowhere.

I say that (b) is the right thing to do. Both articles deserve ur gentle, persuasive, illuminating comments. By the hundreds as b4. :mrgreen:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Obama Invites Muslim Student Detained Over Homemade Clock To White House.

President Obama is receiving glowing media coverage for praising and inviting 14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed to the White House. In developments that sparked a torrent of outrage on social media, Ahmed was handcuffed by police and suspended from his suburban Dallas high school over fears that a homemade clock he had brought to school was a bomb. The President weighed in Share to FacebookShare to Twitter on Twitter – where Ahmed’s story was the top trending topic nationally during the day. The controversy was also featured on all three network newscasts and on countless print and online outlets.

NBC Nightly News (9/16, story 3, 2:05, Holt) reported last night, “‘If you see something, say something’ – That is the mantra in this age of terror. But a troubling story out of Texas has many wondering whether the lines of vigilance and caution weren’t somehow terribly twisting, leaving a Muslim high school student handcuffed and humiliated over an innocent science project.” The Los Angeles Times Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (9/17, Muskal) reports that the clock that led to the arrest “is basically a circuit board connected to a power supply and a digital display,” while the Dallas Morning News Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (9/17, Selk) notes that police chief Larry Boyd “said the device...was ‘certainly suspicious in nature.’” However, he added, “the follow-up investigation revealed” it “was a homemade experiment, and there’s no evidence to support the perception he intended to create alarm.” Reuters Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (9/17, Herskovitz) quotes police spokesman James McLellan as saying of Ahmed, “He didn’t explain properly what it was and they felt compelled to arrest him.”

As ABC World News (9/16, story 3, 1:50, Muir) reported, Mohamed had built it “to impress his science teacher,” but it “spooked his English teacher,” who in turn “told the principal, who told police.” According to the Washington Times Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (9/17, Chasmar), Ahmed was then “handcuffed and taken to a juvenile detention center to be fingerprinted.”

Moreover, the AP Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (9/17) reports, “the boy’s family says Ahmed was suspended for three days,” though “school district spokeswoman Lesley Weaver declined to confirm the suspension, citing privacy laws.” Vice Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (9/17) quoted Weaver as saying, “We were doing everything with an abundance of caution to protect all of our students in Irving.” In fact, the CBS Evening News (9/16, lead story, 2:35, Strassman) reported in its lead story that Ahmed said in an interview that “neither police nor school officials have apologized.”

McClatchy Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (9/17, Recio) said Obama “weighed in...as part of the rising outrage over the arrest.” On its website, NPR Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (9/16, Chappell) indicated that the tweet from the President read, “Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It’s what makes America great.” MTV Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (9/17, Paoletta) titled its online account of Obama’s tweet “President Obama Just Gave Islamophobia The Middle Finger In The Most Diplomatic Way Possible.”

The Christian Science Monitor Share to FacebookShare to Twitter (9/17, Gass) reported that Ahmed has now “been invited to visit NASA, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (his ‘dream school’), and the White House – a personal invitation from...Obama.”

Interesting point: I am just thinking of this person getting through the gates at the WHOTUS and NASA :eek:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

and critically, note how the incident escalated:
The student had done it “to impress his science teacher,” but it “spooked his English teacher,” who in turn “told the principal, who told police.”
Q.E.D.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

amit wrote:
Karan M wrote:Take a hard look gentlemen at what passes for "research" in the liberal arts.
If I may, lets not dish the entire liberal arts community, especially the Indian origin one based on the actions of these few left leaning hypocrites. Some of the most strident criticism of their actions have come from other liberal arts types. (Disclaimer, I'm not from the liberal arts fraternity).

One thing many folks (I'm not talking specifically about here) need to realise is that harsh response and intemperate language, even though justified, just plays into the stereotype of "intolerant Hindu fundamentalist trolls".

Give the devil its due. Liberal arts image creation and image management is top class because that's what they do for a living. And whether one likes it or not they have hyped the stereotype of "Rightwing, ill educated Hindu Right Internet bullies". And they liberally apply this to anyone who disagrees with the POV they are hawking.
I'll gladly dish the liberal arts community involved in these actions, in these so called institutions especially the Indian origin one, because they have miserably failed in preventing their own group from being a bunch of rabid hinduphobes. That this is sinking through the heads of some of the other liberal arts types is evident & more is required.

I couldn't give a darn about harsh response and intemperate language TBH ..in the past you have been amongst the very folks who were busy dissing on the BJP/Hindu right for their machismo/chauvinism and what not, so thanks much, that stuff seems the usual extension of sit and be a good little 'un and what not - the label doesn't matter & if your opponents call you names, give it back as versus sitting and simpering about how unfair it is and how righteous one is in comparison.

All that has done is let a bunch of hypocrites and bigots dominate the airwaves. I'd love to believe your statement that these are but a "few". However, judging by the manner in which these folks have behaved in both India and abroad, and the support for leftist/anarchist movements with a dominant anti India, hinduphobe theme, it does appear they are the dominant group.

So if the liberal arts community, especially the Indian or any other origin one, liberally applies the he stereotype of "Rightwing, ill educated Hindu Right Internet bullies". to anyone who disagrees with them, its worth calling them a bunch of good for nothing, useless, ill educated jerks who contribute nothing to actual societal advancement and are either hinduphobes or worthless sell outs who gave up their own culture for a few silver dinars.

Its high time the Indian origin professionals in STEM and other fields stood up and showed their contempt for these "eminent historians" and other jokers who prance around pretending to be "south Asian scholars" and experts on Hinduism when even finding a temple entrance would baffle some of these worthies. So far, a bunch of amateurs have done 10x more original research than these hinduphobes and their bigoted screeds, which speaks volumes for the quality of these liberal arts types.

Let these liberal arts folks stand up and be counted if they disagree with the labels and prove their antecedents then. Whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Fakers have gone around for decades calling all and sundry all sorts of epithets. And the time has come that they too deserve to be told unequivocally that they need to behave.
Last edited by Karan M on 17 Sep 2015 16:54, edited 2 times in total.