BR Forum Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by Vayutuvan »

hekeem ji: Here are the books. I will route my email to bennedose (is it venna dosa - maska masala dosa AKPA mysore masala dosa - my fav dish in udupi hotels of hyderabad) through ramana garu for verification.

1. Combat

I have the 2001 edition.

2. Soviet Air Power 1978 edition - same as shown in the link

3. The Complete Encyclopedia of World Aircraft 2002 edition - as shown in the link

The submarines book is not yet claimed.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

benne yendre butter-u [not bhattaru].
nivu enu sales maduthira hakim saayaburege? naanu free thelkonde :wink:
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

So Benne is venna :)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

also used for 'greasing palm' :rotfl: . that is bad! cannot happen in modi sarkar
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

the link to forum guidelines is not working.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Crass post:

Folks i Have some thoughts about "future evolution" based on why and how BRF was started.

As all the old timers know BRF was started (like BR itself) to provide a source of information about the Indian armed forces. That was time when info about Indian armed forces was difficult to obtain and BR and BRF revolutionized the net in that regard.

But we have now moved on and there are a lot of places one can pick and choose to talk about the Indian armed forces. We need to acknowledge that people who come to BRF are not always coming simply for info about the Indian armed forces but to share and discuss stuff about other militaries as well - as enthusiasts and fanboys. One may be JF 17 fanboi or am F-35 fanboi. Neither is "India" but people have an interest and use BRF as a platform

What have we done for them? Nothing.

One needs to realize that US made hardware is used in some military application of the other in 100% of countries of the world (eg Boeings adopted for mil transport). So also some Russian hardware (eg Kalashnikov) is there in every country.

When we have threads like "Indian military this" and "Indian military that" and say that non Indian stuff should go into "International mil" thread - it is a bit unfair. US arms are "international". Congolese army is also international. But who cares about the latter?

What I am suggesting is that we need a dedicated thread in the Mil forum for US military, arms and tactics and perhaps a similar one for Russian arms as well.

Since we Indians are poor cousins of the anglophone world 90% of the info we get is about US arms and the info tends to fill up every thread. One click of a mouse will get 200 gazillion words about any US mil hardware. We don't read Russian or Chinese so we don't post much Russian or Chinese info. We need a separate place where this can be discussed by those who want to do that and this must not fill up other threads which have paltry discussions of poor Indian cousins like LCA, Saras, IJT, INSAS, Excalibur, Arjun, Huffy, Tuffy, Duryodhan etc.

The "International military discussion" threads are a relic of 28 k modems. The thread can remain but we need dedicated threads for Russian and US arms and stuff that the whole world uses. Hopefully that will provide a place to channel the interests of most of the world because "Indian armed forces/Indian military hardware" are a niche subject that seem to have reached their fill of information provision. Whatever little there is to talk about India needs to have "reservation" for those who want to talk about India rather than USA or Russia. In fact the latter could have entire forums dedicated but a separate thread would be a start.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

K Mehta wrote:the link to forum guidelines is not working.
cool! breapers can't ban now. :twisted:
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Folks, I am looking for the blog of an asset. Professor who attended the science policy presentations made by academics and scientists to PM modi. He says the PM was very engaged and asked pointed questions.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Arshyam ji thanks.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

vayu ji, any plans to meet modi ji with your soot-boot!? need any peon services, plijj to consider me.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Where is the BR Forum RSS Feed? Can not find any details in the FAQ section. The Search returns trillions of chi chi 'Hindhutva' reference.
Need to try out something on that rss. So, if any kind soul guides me to the relevant section, 10 lactating goats for him.
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

Is there a thread on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose? I can't find one but there is one on chachaji.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I am going to ask a question - but first a disclaimer. I am not asking for closing any thread - I am zimbly thinking aloud with my fingertips.

it's like this: Does the benis thread have any value? If so what is its function as separate from the STFUP Pakistan thread?
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

shiv wrote:I am going to ask a question - but first a disclaimer. I am not asking for closing any thread - I am zimbly thinking aloud with my fingertips.

it's like this: Does the benis thread have any value? If so what is its function as separate from the STFUP Pakistan thread?
I rarely visit the BENIS thread. I don't want to think about Pakistan any more than it forces itself onto my consciousness. I want a serious news-and-analysis thread for Pakistan which is not loaded with piles of pindi channa and pakistan; the Economic Stress thread is one of them; we need one more; and beyond that people can have as many Pakistan-entertainment threads as creatively named as they like.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

shiv wrote:I am going to ask a question - but first a disclaimer. I am not asking for closing any thread - I am zimbly thinking aloud with my fingertips.

The problem relates more to our perception of Pakistan - is it a serious and dangerous neighbor or is it one who tries to act that way! Pakistan's nukes, conventional weaponry, cross-border terrorism, LoC bombardment, sleeper cells in India, terrorist networks, cooperation with big powers is Pakistan's hard power.

The propaganda associated with having this hard power and Pakistan's ability to intimidate Indians is Pakistan's soft power.

The STFUP Pakistan thread acts both as a medium to access Pakistan's hard power as well as to neutralize Pakistan's soft power through humor. A singular focus on Pakistan's hard power in STFUP Thread would enhance Pakistan's soft power of being able to intimidate Indians. To prevent this the humor becomes necessary.

Just saying!
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

RajeshA wrote: A singular focus on Pakistan's hard power in STFUP Thread would enhance Pakistan's soft power of being able to intimidate Indians. To prevent this the humor becomes necessary.

Just saying!
I think it would reduce it, because serious discussion of Pakistan will be about as common as, say, the Taiwan or the No/So Korea threads.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

RajeshA wrote:
The problem relates more to our perception of Pakistan - is it a serious and dangerous neighbor or is it one who tries to act that way! Pakistan's nukes, conventional weaponry, cross-border terrorism, LoC bombardment, sleeper cells in India, terrorist networks, cooperation with big powers is Pakistan's hard power.
When we have a mix of humor and seriousness on one thread, the BENIS thread has no value and can be locked. The question is what value does the Benis thread have? Is it just for Pinglish? What utility does Pinglish have restricited to one thread when a lot of people complain that they cannot understand it and there have been complaints against pinglish in the STFUP thread

What we now have is one thread purportedly for humour and sarcasm in pinglish and another thread (STFUP) where anything goes. Why?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Pinglish usage is not just limited to BENIS or STFU threads only. It gets used to varying extents in several threads including non-GDF threads. I vote for not only mothballing BENIS but a blanket ban on Pakistani English aka pinglish.
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

My suggestion of a le education thread, look east or look deep (bakistani Urdu media, economic crisis etc.) needs to be considered. A Gupta ji has done fine service of look east, unfortunately due to real life issues I have not been able to do the look deep part.

I will cut down the pinglish usage voluntarily and not use words like p*aki.

There are several thread on the western neighbor that need to be given a quiet burial. I request mods to put a vote on the list of threads pertaining to this nation and give them a permanent 72 after a debate.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Can we please restrict overuse of Red highlighted comments? Those are too catchy and distracting.

Please check STFUP dhaga.
Multatuli
BRFite

Post by Multatuli »

I support the above request to limit red (or some other color) highlighted comments. I also think that posters should conform to the posting format used in BRF.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Mods, why is the Economy thread locked?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

did you read the last post on that thread ?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Ah, I see. Read Suraj's post, but missed the last part about thread being locked 'for now'. Looks like its back in business. Thanks.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

shiv wrote:
RajeshA wrote:
When we have a mix of humor and seriousness on one thread, the BENIS thread has no value and can be locked. The question is what value does the Benis thread have? Is it just for Pinglish? What utility does Pinglish have restricited to one thread when a lot of people complain that they cannot understand it and there have been complaints against pinglish in the STFUP thread

What we now have is one thread purportedly for humour and sarcasm in pinglish and another thread (STFUP) where anything goes. Why?
Pinglish had/has utility for people whose real identities have been tracked by Pakis and they have been identified in person, and who sometimes post things that get picked up by search engine. Putting the two together could lead to issues.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

How about adding automatic dhaaga to each news article linked to BR main website? The news link itself is the dhaaga, and comment sections like how we do at various media websites. We can also experiment various styles in these dhaaga, like warning flags, like, dislike etc. as done elsewhere.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Is my home ip banned by brf? Cant log in through it. But can through mobile broadband?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

please get in touch with webmaster.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

shiv wrote: Pinglish had/has utility for people whose real identities have been tracked by Pakis and they have been identified in person, and who sometimes post things that get picked up by search engine. Putting the two together could lead to issues.
Really? Have there been instances of Pakis tracking BR members? I do know about Nation.pk reporting an NSN report but that looks more like they got it from Google search than like they were tracking BENIS thread. The only other instance I know of mainstream press referencing BR forum is the case of B Raman's article in rediff.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Just got this pm, it makes NO sense..
Message subject: Board warning issued
Sent: 05 Oct 2015 22:40
To: Amber G.
The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Quote:
Warning issued for tampering with an admin note..

Of course, No TAMPERING,I know of was done by me. ..

If there was any message, which broke any forum guide line, at least have courage to articulate it, and treat people with respect. Please share this with the whole moderating team because it really does not look good on good moderators.

Seriously, We are all busy and have no time to play games, this will be last from me on this regard.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

well, you wanted a signed copy in triplicate, I obliged. That too despite my busy schedule and lack of time to play games.

Do consider my request to stop trolling and instead, report any offending posts, with reasons other than "it hurts my american sentiments".
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Amber G. wrote:If there was any message, which broke any forum guide line, at least have courage to articulate it, and treat people with respect. Please share this with the whole moderating team because it really does not look good on good moderators.
Your post was edited by a moderator to remove content. You edited it further. You were warned for that. It's not unreasonable to expect that everyone understands that only you and a moderator can edit your own posts. If the edit isn't from you, it's from a moderator.

The primary prerogative of moderation is not focus on the user's well being. That is in the user's own hands. It focuses instead on the well being of the forum thread.

If an OT post has to be replaced with '{POOF}' with no further explanation, it will be. Regardless of whether you think you were on topic or not, the moderation team may decide otherwise, and our point of view prevails. In fact, your post can very well be on topic and we can still choose to blow it away simply because tempers were rising and we decided to sweep the thread clean .
member_29064
BRFite

Post by member_29064 »

kudos to the mods and admins for running and keeping up this invaluable forum so well!

being new here, could someone pls tell is there a way in the forum to:

1. track our posts, or specifically, any replies if someone has quoted them? notification-system i think is not available on the forum? manually browsing the thread wherein we have posted to check replies and further posts is the only way to keep a track. is that correct? for instance, if i have posted something one day but then get opportunity to check the thread again only after several days, if i click on 'view your posts', i get to see only the names of the thread wherein i have posted, but on which page or where, is not shown. is there a better alternative to simplify this?

2. i also browse forums on tapatalk; though didn't find BRF on it. is it supported on any other such app?

i also browse forums like DFI, so spoilt a bit due to the above-mentioned features the forum-software(s) there have. anyone willing to respond pls do when you have time.

thanks very much once again for running this indispensable portal and one of the best things ever to happen on the interweb to/for me!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sadly enough we havent gotten around to adding those ^^ & some other features.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Nirbhrant Saar,
You can use the search function. Its a very useful function.
member_29064
BRFite

Post by member_29064 »

Rahul M wrote:sadly enough we havent gotten around to adding those ^^ & some other features.
alright. may be sometime in the future. shall await that time. had i not been an IT-illiterate person then may be could've made myself somewhat useful for the forum in this regard, if it were reqd. or given a chance anytime. but being a freeloader can't crib and would just wait. :roll:
johneeG wrote:Nirbhrant Saar,
You can use the search function. Its a very useful function.
yes JohneeG ji! thanks! its indeed a very useful function. i use it often, and its esp. useful when have to quickly look for some info about a topic, to post something or reply about something to someone elsewhere on the web. except for very generic terms, the search-function quickly yields a wealth of info here; whereas on the other forums i visit, their search-functions are either quite complex or/and often don't return with very useful or expected results.

P.S. - BTW, on the hindsight, it may be actually good too that the forum isn't on tapatalk and looks a bit 'archaic' too; this i guess helps keep it out of the 'limelight' as well as keep the 'unwelcome' types at bay.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Recording my observations based on some interactions on the forum in the recent past.

As some of you perhaps know, BRF was early in recognizing the Modi phenomenon. I had started the Modi vs Dynasty thread as far back as 2012 - a thread that went on to become the biggest thread ever in BRF history (over 1000 pages of posts as it tracked what was the most defining ever general elections of 2014).

Recently, for the first time since the Modi victory, I and another right-wing poster Mukesh Kumar posted opinions that seem to have run counter to 'general'' BRF opinion. This was in response to the reprehensible Dadri lynching a couple of weeks back.
Arjun wrote:The PM needs to explicitly denounce the Dadri incident. Doesnt matter if that puts the central and state BJP at opposing ends - as PM Modi has a responsibility that he needs to shoulder.
And the responses:
Paul wrote:All those insisting Modi take a stand why Sun is setting in the west need to get their head examined
Paul wrote:ignore the troll
and on another thread when asked a completely unrelated question:
Paul wrote:I have already identified you as a troll in the Political drama thread a week ago where you asking baiting on Modi commeting on the Beef issue, hence no need to reply!
Here's a response to Mukesh Kumar's comment regarding the effect of Dadri:
skekatpuray wrote:This tone is so familiar. Has darkabutt infiltrated the BRF?
Obviously BRF is a mass forum, and therefore all kinds of opinions, IQ levels, etiquette levels are on display - but does it necessarily need to tolerate such loutish and uncouth behavior ? It would seem that the admins condone such language since all these posts were reported without much success (one of the posts was modified by an admin but the quoted part above was untouched).

I would also assume that this latitude provided by the admins for using the term "troll" freely on other posters is not selective - and there are certain guidelines around how it can be used. Can we have some clarity on this - so other posters can benefit from this latitude?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Arjun ji: Could you please post your IQ score? I will be much obliged.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

vayu tuvan wrote:Arjun ji: Could you please post your IQ score? I will be much obliged.
Will be happy to post it...but doubt it is relevant to the issue at hand. So I will pass :wink: