India-US Relations : News and Discussion- II

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Relations : News and Discussion- II

Post by Gus »

Hitesh wrote:They were a horrible failure because the poor were not allowed to take responsibility and ownership for their own living accommodations. If you give responsibility and ownership to the poor, a large majority will take control and make their living conditions much better. You have to allow them to maintain as they see fit and give them support to maintain or improve living conditions.
they were a horrible failure because you cannot group a bunch of people of same socia-economic condition and expect them to become better. it does not work. almost always it goes down and the few who do good, usually do good by peddling crime.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

AmberG, do you have access to Financial Times?
Bharara warns of insider trading ‘bonanza’
US attorney hits at Supreme Court for declining to hear appeal
Unfortunately they don't allow me to read it. What happened to Pleet Bhalala?
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Preet Bharara warns of insider trading ‘bonanza’
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/39d31f0a-6b8b ... z3nkLZnpgB
US attorney for Manhattan Preet Bharara warned of a “bonanza” for friends and family of the rich after the Supreme Court declined to hear a Department of Justice request to reverse two overturned convictions on insider trading.The highest court did not comment on why it would not hear the case, which could have redefined insider trading by clarifying what behaviour constitutes a crime. The decision also leaves open the possibility of other convictions being overturned.The Supreme Court move lets stand a US Appeals Court for the Second Circuit decision which overturned the convictions of Todd Newman, a former portfolio manager at Diamondback Capital, and Anthony Chiasson, a former money manager at Level Global Investors.
The appeals court decision threatens the legacy of Mr Bharara, who has pursued about 100 insider trading cases in his six years in office, including the Newman and Chiasson prosecutions.
Prosecutors did not provide enough evidence for those convictions because they had to show a tipster received a “consequential” benefit in an explicit quid pro quo to prove insider trading, the appeals court said. That reflected a higher bar for conviction than in past cases.
“This creates an obvious road map for unscrupulous behaviour,” Mr Bharara said of the appeals court case. “You could see it as a potential bonanza for friends and family of rich people.”He said he would now have to think “long and hard” about bringing certain cases, such as one in which a chief executive provides a tip to a relative or a friend about non-public information on his company to trade on it.“I think people have to ask themselves whether that is good for the markets, whether that is good for the integrity of the markets,” Mr Bharara said.The higher bar on defining a benefit in insider trading cases could mean some guilty pleas are withdrawn while other convictions could be overturned because the behaviour at issue is no longer considered a crime.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Does this get the McKinsey guy off?
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Amber G, warning issued for not heeding calls to not troll and tampering with an admin note. You may take this up in the feedback thread, but dont want another post from you on this topic, thanks.

LokeshC, informal warning, stick to topic
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Mod Note

All post reports about admin actions have been closed without further action. There's only one person capable of modifying your post besides you, and that's a moderator. Do not circumvent moderation actions by further editing such a post. No further discussion on this will be entertained. Please move on.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

UlanBatori wrote:Does this get the McKinsey guy off?
he is serving a 2 yr sentence and has a few months left, so moot point .
but he might be able to file a lawsuit on getting out.
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

SaiK wrote:
Y. Kanan wrote:..And what's amazing is Americans think this is totally normal.
smoking cannabis or going to prison? :)
Both! :rotfl:

But seriously America really is a police state. That may seem appealing to those of us who get frayed by the barely controlled anarchy that characterizes life in India, but the Americans take it too far. America is the land of victimless crimes, which they prosecute more zealously than real crimes (like robbery, murder, etc). In America you're better off murdering another human being than growing cannabis plants in your back yard. Murder will land you in prison for 5-10 years, but dealing cannabis can get you 20-25 years easily.

America Land of the Free.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Y. Kanan wrote: Both! :rotfl:

But seriously America really is a police state. That may seem appealing to those of us who get frayed by the barely controlled anarchy that characterizes life in India, but the Americans take it too far. America is the land of victimless crimes, which they prosecute more zealously than real crimes (like robbery, murder, etc). In America you're better off murdering another human being than growing cannabis plants in your back yard. Murder will land you in prison for 5-10 years, but dealing cannabis can get you 20-25 years easily.

America Land of the Free.
So true.
And they can barely control their guns.

Freedom to shoot people but not free to grow gaanja . LOL. I wonder why they dont fight for their gaanja rights as strongly as for gun rights?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Be reasonable. Smoking ganja can seriously impair one's ability to use guns. SUI (shooting while impaired) is a serious offence. Let's get our priorities straight and have some respect for guns, hain?
As the judge said during sentencing:
Let this be a lesson to you.
It was DRINK that made you lose your temper
It was DRINK that made you pick up your gun
It was DRINK that made you point it at your mother-in-law
It was DRINK that made you unlock the safety catch
It was DRINK that made you pull the trigger
AND it was DRINK that made you miss!
Worse with ganja.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

And its not some gun nuts in the boonies -- lots of normal, sane, modern people I know in the states get tourettes syndrome or something when guns are mentioned.

Its a blind spot that no one seems to notice.

Other countries do not keep guns so openly and commonly and do not blow each other up.

Guns in the states have de-peopled the streets - people don't venture out at any time due to the fear of violent mugging that can take place.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

I have made this observation before - the genius of the Anglo-American system is that it often makes what would be considered corrupt or unethical in other societies, and make it legal. Thus, e.g., the British system of legal pillage of India, so termed by an American. Other societies struggle with corruption, the Anglo-American system "just works". We may not like the results; but what is more impressive than a nation going to war through a well-defined process, described by legislation and constitution, but that is totally uncalled for? It rises above the "legitimacy" of e.g., Putin's Russia intervening in Syria. Every American can point to the process by which the US went to war in Iraq, and since all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed in this process, there was nothing wrong done. John Yoo can write a legal brief redefining waterboarding as not torture, and the illogic of it, and that it is contrary to all American precedent doesn't matter; what matters is that a process was followed. The same with political lobbyists and campaign contributions, and gun sales, and you name it.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

A_Gupta wrote:I have made this observation before - the genius of the Anglo-American system is that it often makes what would be considered corrupt or unethical in other societies, and make it legal. Thus, e.g., the British system of legal pillage of India, so termed by an American. Other societies struggle with corruption, the Anglo-American system "just works". We may not like the results; but what is more impressive than a nation going to war through a well-defined process, described by legislation and constitution, but that is totally uncalled for? It rises above the "legitimacy" of e.g., Putin's Russia intervening in Syria. Every American can point to the process by which the US went to war in Iraq, and since all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed in this process, there was nothing wrong done. John Yoo can write a legal brief redefining waterboarding as not torture, and the illogic of it, and that it is contrary to all American precedent doesn't matter; what matters is that a process was followed. The same with political lobbyists and campaign contributions, and gun sales, and you name it.

Yes everything is made "legal" due process followed. Even though it is wrong, one cannot be prosecuted.
Impressive I agree with your post.
I see all the time in my profession with not good results. :(
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

A_Gupta wrote:I have made this observation before - the genius of the Anglo-American system is that it often makes what would be considered corrupt or unethical in other societies, and make it legal. Thus, e.g., the British system of legal pillage of India, so termed by an American. Other societies struggle with corruption, the Anglo-American system "just works". We may not like the results; but what is more impressive than a nation going to war through a well-defined process, described by legislation and constitution, but that is totally uncalled for? It rises above the "legitimacy" of e.g., Putin's Russia intervening in Syria. Every American can point to the process by which the US went to war in Iraq, and since all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed in this process, there was nothing wrong done. John Yoo can write a legal brief redefining waterboarding as not torture, and the illogic of it, and that it is contrary to all American precedent doesn't matter; what matters is that a process was followed. The same with political lobbyists and campaign contributions, and gun sales, and you name it.
Boss, excellent points. But not to share your thunder, I've made these very same observations before :-). I will also add the same is true in personal dealing, personal relationships etc. What is considered anathema or sacrilegious on countries like India, is considered normal and civilized here.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

^hmm the treatment of stray animals comes to mind, totally clean streets and millions of kutta billies sanitized
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

A_Gupta wrote:Every American can point to the process by which the US went to war in Iraq, and since all the i's were dotted and t's were crossed in this process, there was nothing wrong done.
:-o

So says you contrary to empirical observation of great many Americans who protested the US going to war against Iraq. Please present evidence of "Every American ... nothing wrong done" claim. Rhetoric is effective only if it used with some amount of restraint.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

CRamS wrote:What is considered anathema or sacrilegious on countries like India, is considered normal and civilized here.
Saar, jidhar kA kAshTh udhar hI jalta hai (A funeral pyre burns only where it is set on fire).
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

vayu tuvan wrote:
:-o

So says you contrary to empirical observation of great many Americans who protested the US going to war against Iraq. Please present evidence of "Every American ... nothing wrong done" claim. Rhetoric is effective only if it used with some amount of restraint.
Just who voted Bush 2 in for a second term? Where's them prosecutions, impeachments, investigative committees about the Iraq war? Why is John Yoo still a professor at University of California, Berkeley? Why has no one in any position of real responsibility been prosecuted for torture? Who has been punished for illegal wiretaps and surveillance? (The answer is - none of it was illegal).

The protests against the US war against Iraq were far less than "Occupy Wall Street", which itself amounted to nothing. I can similarly find you the set of Englishmen who protested the system of British rule in India. Wrote learned books about it too. Doesn't change the facts on the ground.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

India and the Trans-Pacific Partnership. An opinion piece:
http://blogs.cfr.org/asia/2015/10/06/wh ... rtnership/
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

vayu tuvan wrote: So says you contrary to empirical observation of great many Americans who protested the US going to war against Iraq. Please present evidence of "Every American ... nothing wrong done" claim. Rhetoric is effective only if it used with some amount of restraint.

Sorry to butt in. :((

Every American is true to a great extent.
At least in my experience every American goes thru the process of crossing "I" and "t" to protcet themselves irrespective of the ouitcome good or bad. Legally they cannot be prosecuted under law.
Juts because many Americans protest means zilch because America went to war in Iraq Afghanistan gave arms ammunition to Pakistan despite many Americans aware of the duplicity of these actions.same with Libya Egypt Iraq Iran Syria and Isis targeting and many other places.
What about "collateral damage" - far more innocent people have been killed in the war than real "terrorists". More Islamic fighters/terrorists have been formed due to senseless actions of Americans in position of power . Ordinary Americans are aghast at the perfidy of these powerful people but can do zilch other than protests.
Where are the great Americans and famed prosecution of these actions. Zilch.

To prosecute american is difficult in America who know how to make sure the due process of law is followed irrespective of the outcome even though it is wrong.
I have seen plenty of it in action at ground level in my profession.

The above form my experiences only.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

He changed clothes 16 times in the US: Rahul's jibe at PM Modi

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 256675.cms

I don't live in the USA and I know Modi is back in India now.

However I am just a little bit curious, can someone actually tell me:

1/what are Rahul Gandhi's educational qualifications?

2/ what does he/and what has he in the past actually done for a living?

3/ Does he realise that a factory built on one acre of land will employ more people and create more wealth and opportunity than a once acre plot of land that is farmed inefficiently?

4/ What are the boys real life experiences??
ashvin
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ashvin »

Dear Hareshji,
RaGa's qualifications have all been manufactured by the MSM and publicity honchos.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

4/ What are the boys real life experiences??
He can recognize clothes even beyond diapers. Awesome! 8)
rajithn
BRFite

Post by rajithn »

Getting to Bharat-US relations..a quick question:

It is rumoured that the US and the P**kis will be signing a version of a new-clear deal ("brackets" included or not) somewhere around Oct 22 when Sharif visits the US . Irrespective of such "brackets" being included and them getting such a deal, what could/should be NM/AD reaction? [Even under the hypothesis that the Pakis accept such "brackets", given their propensity for wanting to be treated as an + to Bharat].
If indeed, an attempt is made for a =,= then there should be a price to pay for the US - perhaps in the form of deals quietly evaporating and going to the Germans/French/Russians?
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://theweek.com/articles/580711/why- ... ndian-army
Why America is cozying up to the Indian army
( Old Crock Cohen' Canny Tears)
ndia and the United States have been seeking closer ties in the 21st century, and this exercise is just one part of that effort. As the U.S. broadens its engagement in the Pacific and continues operations in Central Asia, military relations between Washington and New Delhi are growing."They want what we want," said political scientist Stephen Cohen, a senior fellow and India expert at the Brookings Institution. However, he told War Is Boring that while Washington and New Delhi are seeking closer ties and have cooperated in the past, it's a stretch to call them allies. "There's no formal [military] agreement between the two.""Many of the East and South East Asian countries have felt, and expressed in many open fora, that India should play a more active role in future Asian security architecture," Balachandran added.
Cohen explained that the U.S. military is an attractive partner for India. In particular the U.S. Navy has ability to rapidly respond and work with Indian forces after disasters. Training together in advance and learning how to work together will make it easier to respond jointly in the event of another calamity. For rising powers such as India, Brazil, and China, peacekeeping missions are an opportunity to look assertive on the international stage."[The Indian army] is a huge army and they like to go oversees," Cohen said. Cohen explained that there's financial incentives for the Indian Army to take part in the missions. But Cohen said he thinks the Indians have a sense of pride in being part of international efforts to end conflicts.Lately, the mission in South Sudan has proven to be a particularly challenging mission. When a coup attempt sparked a bloody civil war, peacekeepers became responsible for protecting thousands of civilians seeking shelter in their bases. Indian troops are among those protecting U.N. compounds as dangerous militias roam the countryside.Early in the conflict, as wounded civilians flooded into the bases, some Indian troops donated their own blood for military doctors to use on patients. Two Indian troops died protecting the sites in December 2013 and several others have been wounded in intermittent attacks.
Capt. Shawn Scott, an American company commander who participated in Yudh Abhyas 2015, said that learning about the Indians' experience with counterinsurgency was particularly eye-opening for him.The American and Indian officers swapped war stories. Scott and his fellow officers told the Indians about their experiences in Iraq transitioning from Operation Iraqi Freedom to Operation New Dawn while overseeing the elections."The counterinsurgency we faced in Iraq and in Afghanistan is not the same kind of insurgency they face," Scott explained.India has also provided training and assistance to neighboring countries in fighting their own insurgencies. For instance Cohen explained that India has begun training security forces from neighboring Afghanistan for law enforcement and counter-terror operations. "Pakistan isn't very happy about that," Cohen added.Relations with Islamabad have long been a challenge for both Washington and New Delhi."Neither country knows what to do about Pakistan," Cohen said.The United States maintains a robust military presence and continues counter-terror operations in Afghanistan — despite the official end of combat operations in 2014. "Both India and U.S. would like to see a politically stable, democratic and inclusive society/government in Afghanistan," Balachandran explained. "While U.S. is a far more active partner with Afghan government/society in both economic and military spheres, India has limited options because of connectivity issues primarily because of Pakistan's refusal to allow any such connectivity."
"While both India and the U.S. share many common concerns about Pakistan, there is unfortunately, at this moment, not much common ground on how to deal with the shared concerns," Balachandran explained.ince the Mumbai attacks, counter-terror operations and training have become a major focus for Indian troops and police. Ulshai cited America's war on terrorism as a major reason for the two armies to seek closer ties.During the exercise, Ulshai was particularly impressed with the resources the U.S. troops had at their disposal. "They have the best possible means of carrying out any kinds of operations," he said. The Indians got to work with American Strykers in action and train on a handful of weapon systems.India is trying to rapidly upgrade its military capabilities and is currently one of the world's largest weapons buyers."The U.S. is undoubtedly the strongest nation in terms of available advanced technologies," Balachandran said. "For a variety of reasons, in the past, India-U.S. relations in matters of high technology transfers, especially military, had been weak or non-existent.""There's skepticism on the American side about how far that should go," Cohen explained. He said that there's concerns that U.S. military technology could leak or otherwise fall into the hands of Russia or China if India got them. Though relations have warmed, many American policymakers still view India with suspicion.Despite some residual suspicion, U.S.-India military ties are likely to continue to grow and mature as the two nations continue to encounter common challenges, and India continues to develop."With no outstanding political differences and with a growing economy India presents opportunities for U.S. business interests both military and non-military," Balachandran added. "Hence there is a move towards improving U.S.-India military ties especially in military supplies and technology."Balachandran added that increasing communication and training between soldiers is an important part of advancing that relationship..
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Gus wrote:
Dipanker wrote:Higher incarceration rate is also due to strict administration and interpretation of law, you do the crime, you will do the time. Can you think what % of Indians will end up behind bars if similar strict standard was applied in India?

rah rah usa usa.. :lol:

explain why white/rich folks get off with lower enforcement and lower incarceration rates and gets minimum sentences for SAME crime.

keep all this "it's the law, do crime do time blah blah".. to some starry eyed FOB or MUTU type please.

don't bring india here. you cannot compare a country with hundreds of issues like immediate enemy countries, poor national integration and nationalistic consciousness, section of people being outright traitors, no spare money to spend for social welfare etc to

the richest and most developed country that treats its poor as basically a problem to be incarcerated, hidden and contained and their aspirations is only allowed to go up to the level of working multiple minimum wage jobs to just make ends meet.
Noting to do with "rah rah usa usa.. ", it's about being objective. If you start from a biased perspective the only person you end up fooling is yourself, nobody else.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

rajithn wrote:Getting to Bharat-US relations..a quick question:

It is rumoured that the US and the P**kis will be signing a version of a new-clear deal ("brackets" included or not) somewhere around Oct 22 when Sharif visits the US . Irrespective of such "brackets" being included and them getting such a deal, what could/should be NM/AD reaction? [Even under the hypothesis that the Pakis accept such "brackets", given their propensity for wanting to be treated as an + to Bharat].
If indeed, an attempt is made for a =,= then there should be a price to pay for the US - perhaps in the form of deals quietly evaporating and going to the Germans/French/Russians?
Pakistan signing a deal is good news. That means inspections will expand to more facilities. OTOH, they are not constrained today.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Not just that, depending on the nature of the agreement, there's marginal "additional" threat to India. We already have a sinopak collusive front. How is it going to get much worse? Rock bottom is close.

But with an agreement, is the additional threat Pakistan can potentially present - terms of agreement notwithstanding - to the non-Muslim world inconsequential? Questionable. An agreement would be just another way of making Pakistan more of a global problem than it already is. We should protest therefore, but not too much. Quietly encouraging the acquisition of intercontinental missile tech by Pakistan would then be in our interest. And also that of the Chinese. And the Paks of course will be in their element, double-gaming everyone and thinking they are fooling every one as well.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

US judge refuses to undo government order on green cards
http://news.yahoo.com/us-judge-refuses- ... 54257.html
SEATTLE (AP) — A federal judge declined to issue an emergency order Wednesday that would allow tens of thousands of highly skilled immigrants from India and China to immediately apply to become permanent residents, as the government initially told them they could.Lawyers for the immigrants had not shown they were likely to win their case or that the order would be in the public interest, the judge ruled.The immigrants sued the government last week after it revised a notice on applying for green cards. The lawsuit seeks class-action status.The initial notice, issued by the State Department Sept. 9, detailed which categories of immigrants would be able to file their final green card paperwork beginning Oct. 1, a step that grants several benefits, including the ability to change jobs and travel abroad more easily as they wait for permanent resident status.But officials revised it on Sept. 25, severely curtailing who could apply — and frustrating thousands of people who had already spent money on legal fees and medical tests to get their applications ready.
While Martinez declined to issue a temporary restraining order blocking the government's revised notice, the case will continue with the sides making full arguments.In court documents, officials said they had to correct the earlier notice because it suggested more visas were immediately available than federal law allows to be issued.The U.S. issues up to 40,040 visas each year to workers in the category of the affected immigrants, but it limits how many visas can be issued to immigrants of any single country. That's created huge backlogs for immigrants from India and China, countries with large numbers of highly skilled workers who want to stay in the United States.Last year, President Barack Obama issued an executive order seeking to streamline the U.S. legal immigration system.On Sunday, Microsoft Corp., Google Inc., Intel Corp., Halliburton Co. and several other businesses joined the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, immigration lawyers and others in sending a letter to Secretary of State John Kerry and Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson urging them to abide by the original bulletin.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

JE Menon wrote:Not just that, depending on the nature of the agreement, there's marginal "additional" threat to India. We already have a sinopak collusive front. How is it going to get much worse? Rock bottom is close.

But with an agreement, is the additional threat Pakistan can potentially present - terms of agreement notwithstanding - to the non-Muslim world inconsequential? Questionable. An agreement would be just another way of making Pakistan more of a global problem than it already is. We should protest therefore, but not too much. Quietly encouraging the acquisition of intercontinental missile tech by Pakistan would then be in our interest. And also that of the Chinese. And the Paks of course will be in their element, double-gaming everyone and thinking they are fooling every one as well.
Yes! and I think as a CBM, we should share Agni 6/7/8 technology with them as part of SAARC.

The US wants Pakistan to remain a danger only to India. We want them to spread the love. :)
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

ramana wrote:
LokeshC wrote:Ever heard of the inquisitions?

Check up on what happened to Hypatia, lady mathematician after Constantine declared Xianity as State religion.
While at it check on Charlemagne's methods of Saving the Gauls in France.
Jeez! (that's figurative), you are one heck of a well read person. A tip of the Tam O' Shanter.
deWalker
BRFite -Trainee

Post by deWalker »

JE Menon wrote:Not just that, depending on the nature of the agreement, there's marginal "additional" threat to India. We already have a sinopak collusive front. How is it going to get much worse? Rock bottom is close.

But with an agreement, is the additional threat Pakistan can potentially present - terms of agreement notwithstanding - to the non-Muslim world inconsequential?
If the US were to implicitly accept Pakistan's "right" to nuke India specifically, that should provoke a strong and substantial reaction from India. This is close to a statement of enmity.

Keep in mind how Saudi Arabia etc. would react to such a deal. KSA's sponsorship of Pakistan has been based on the ability to use Paki nukes at some future point against Iran or Israel (this is the past conversations about "Islamic Bomb" and "Sunni bomb": it may be a fantasy but I'm speaking to the Saudi motivation alone, not the practicality). Formally taking away those options will make Pakistan useless to KSA in the future - and kill that relationship. There is no way Nawaz will take that step against maai-baap.

Diwakar
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Cosmo_R, Thanks. Prefer Amrut Fusion nowadays. Not just caps!
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Re: US - Pak Nuclear Deal

Post by SSridhar »

India reacts strongly to reports of US-Pak nuke pact, says 'check Islamabad's proliferation track record first' - PTI
India on Thursday reacted very sharply to reports of the US mulling a nuclear deal with Pakistan on the lines of India-US pact, saying anyone considering a nuke pact should first see Islamabad's proliferation track record.

"We have seen these reports and it is not for the first time this issue has surfaced. Whosoever is examining that particular dossier should be well aware of Pakistan's track record in the area of proliferation. And when India got this particular deal it was on the basis of our own impeccable non-proliferation track record.

"That is the reason US gave us 123 agreement in 2005 and that is why we got a NSG waiver in 2008. Pakistan's track record is completely different so we hope that will taken into account in making any such decision," spokesperson in the external affairs ministry Vikas Swarup said, in an apparent reference to Pakistan scientist Abdul Qadeer Khan leaking the nuke technology to countries like North Korea.

Khan was one of Pakistan's top scientists and was involved in various scientific programmes there until his dismissal in January 2004 by Pakistan government on the evidence provided by the US about his involvement in leaking bomb-making designs and equipment to at least three countries — Iran, North Korea and Libya.

Ahead of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's visit to the US this month, a report in The Washington Post said the US is negotiating a pact on new limits on Pakistan's nuclear weapons and delivery systems, a deal that might lead to an agreement similar to the India-US civil nuclear deal.

"Pakistan has been asked to consider what are described as 'brackets'," the report quoted a source familiar with the talks between the two countries as saying.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

So there will be the following bracket now
1) India faced nuke Bracket.
2) Saudi rent Bracket (would have Saudi-Unkil negotiation, since Soothias are unkils b1atches anyway).
3) Hidden one: Oops "jihadi-stole-my-bum-again" bracket.

UnKill would be too dumb not to consider (3). But then .... Unkil being Unkil, the strategic option of (3) maybe open. It is also in Indias interest that (3) happens. It does not change our threat matrix in any way and therefore we would have very limited impact in such a case, but the west would be $hittting bricks.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Very, very interesting. Never expected this to happen.

Top US commander in Afghanistan makes rare visit to India

Not sure what to make out of this, but while the world is fixated with Syria, India needs to make a solid move in the 'hood.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Dipanker wrote:Noting to do with "rah rah usa usa.. ", it's about being objective. If you start from a biased perspective the only person you end up fooling is yourself, nobody else.
are you objectively comparing the enforcement, incarceration and length of sentencing of whites V blacks ?

first do that and then you can pass statements like "do the crime, do the time"

clearly crime is being subjectively treated in america. not objective.

argue the points above, instead of subjective comments about who's biased or fooled.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Cosmo_R wrote:
ramana wrote: Check up on what happened to Hypatia, lady mathematician after Constantine declared Xianity as State religion.
While at it check on Charlemagne's methods of Saving the Gauls in France.
Jeez! (that's figurative), you are one heck of a well read person. A tip of the Tam O' Shanter.
Hypatia is depicted in the movie 'agora' (unrelated to our agora/agori). well acted by rachel weisz.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Give us 26/11 accused Tahawwur Rana, it won't be double jeopardy: NIA tells America
During a recent videoconferencing with DoJ, NIA cited Section 468 (forgery for purpose of cheating) and Section 471 (using a genuine a forged document) of the IPC where there is no 'double jeopardy'. Double jeopardy is legal parlance for a law that prevents punishing of a criminal twice for the same offence.
According to NIA chargesheet, both Rana and Headley forged documents and despite refusal of permission by RBI, "the two continued operating the office of immigrant law centre and pursued vigorously the directives of LeT...," according to the NIA chargesheet.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

NRao wrote:Very, very interesting. Never expected this to happen.

Top US commander in Afghanistan makes rare visit to India

Not sure what to make out of this, but while the world is fixated with Syria, India needs to make a solid move in the 'hood.
Ashraf Ghani is a US selection. He danced to Pakistani Army tunes. The US allowed China & Pakistan to take centrestage in Afghanistan. The US was complicit in keeping India out of the Round Table Conf. in London in c. 2010 and others following that. The US gifted away war wastage/surpluses to Pakistan. The latest Kunduz attack is planned and carried out by the PA/ISI/LeT/Mansour combine also known as AQIS. India has been unwilling to call any Afghan-India leadership meeting under the Strategic agreement signed with Hamid Karzai, though there have been many Afghan requests lately. At this point India has no role to play because we have been systematically sidelined over a 5-year period by the US because it thought that the PA/ISI/Taliban combination would help it in the denouement. It has not happened and the Americans are caught in a monkey-trap now. They seek help from everyone. They may also be acting on behalf of Ghani with whom the Indian relationship is quite ruffled at present. Of course, it presents opportunities for India but for that to happen, the US must make a complete U-turn with Pakistan. Otherwise, I do not think we should be interested. The US cannot and shall not make such a decision and therefore I do not foresee any Indian possibilities here.