BHUVAN .... India's own browsable image gallery

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Shankar
BRFite

Re: BHUVAN .... India's own browsable image gallery

Post by Shankar »

i have just down loaded the bhuvan and registered but then how can i browse the imagery -is is same as google earth -or some other method -some one plaes help by giving a step y step guide on how do i go from desktop icon to imagery
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Shankar wrote:i have just down loaded the bhuvan and registered but then how can i browse the imagery -is is same as google earth -or some other method -some one plaes help by giving a step y step guide on how do i go from desktop icon to imagery
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 64#p716364
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

thanks shiv -just managed to see the india images shor from indian sats

they look great and some ehat sharper than google earth

but the use software is -what to say not so good
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Images from Bhuvan.
The 3 D Cartographic data is better than google earth. I could see peaks on Siachen glacier that are blurred on google earth, but are crystal clear on Bhuvan.
The images are updated and are some of the latest images I have seen for eg the IGI airport with the third runway visible - this is the 2nd longest civilian runway in Asia. However, the image resolution sucks big time.

IGI Airport

Rezang La (3D)

Siachen glacier in 3D

Siachen glacier - Bilafond La in 3D
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

GOI/ISRO need to define civilian vs strategic space. It then needs to define the appropriate resolution for both.
Does the whole of Bangalore become strategic because it has an air force station, or perhaps because it is our silicon valley. Perhaps the Vidhana Soudha makes Bangalore strategic because the politicians need to have chai-biskoot session in peace.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Rajiv Gandhi International Airport Hydrabad.
This is as high res as it gets.

Yelhanka airport is even worse, Devanhalli New Bangalore International Airport is not even shown, empty fields there.
a_kumar
BRFite

Post by a_kumar »

No Gwadar for Jingos. Highly dissapointing!!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gagan wrote: Devanhalli New Bangalore International Airport is not even shown, empty fields there.
The same is true for Google Earth currently.
rkirankr
BRFite

Post by rkirankr »

Manasvi wrote:I tried to download plug-in severeal times using run from portal and saving in hard-disk options
the download stops at 3 mb :x
Run it from the website only , it completed within minutes
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

a_kumar wrote:Image

No Gwadar for Jingos. Highly dissapointing!!
That is the seam where two images are joined and it is common for any large area which contains several scenes acquired at different times.

In fact generally you will see the difference in color shades between adjacent scenes because lighting and physical features do not remain same at the two instances when each of the image is acquired.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

The site has become noticeably faster...or is it my imagination?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Maybe because traffic has reduced
nishug
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nishug »

desperate to see india images from indian sats ... Trying to download plug ins, tried it several times ... I get down load speed of 3.9 kb/sec :oops: :shock: :evil:
and now it has stuck at 890 kbs.
is there any alternative site for downloading this plugin ?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

I dont even known what the plugin is :-?.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Bhuvan makes a splash in cyberspace
Touted as India's answer to Google Earth and Microsoft's Virtual Earth, Bhuvan — a geoportal that allows users to explore a virtual world for free in a 3D environment, with specific emphasis on India — is receiving phenomenal response. Just seven days after it was launched on August 13, nearly 23,000 people from 70 countries around the world have been downloading it daily — amounting to156,000 downloads till date.
A 20-member team from NRSA (a part of Isro) had a lead role in designing and developing Bhuvan under the direction of Jayaraman and Isro Chairman Madhavan Nair.
Comparisons are odious but cannot be avoided with Google Earth and Microsoft's Virtual Earth. "These comparisons are a media creation," says Jayaraman. "Hats off to the remote sensing capabilities of these two companies. However, I must say that when it comes to India, we have very high-resolution images. We do not put this up on the website due to security concerns," he adds.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Now look at another of those stupid headlines

ISRO’s plan to kill Google Earth with Bhuvan backfires
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

pankajs wrote:Now look at another of those stupid headlines

ISRO’s plan to kill Google Earth with Bhuvan backfires
This is a classic example of the self serving and detached English speaking elite of India reporting crap about something that is Indian

Even though information is still being added every day - Bhuvan is already a Google killer in India specific information for a whole lot of Indians.

For example, here is a map of drought affected areas upto July 2009

pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Success has a thousand fathers but failure is an orphan
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Now here we have a classic case of government paranoia and procedures that will lead a potentially world beater tech to become a failure.

GoI needs to understand, that Bhuvan or not, enough satellite data that is clear enough is available on Bing and Google earth/Wikimapia. Google even has the streets marked out on small indian towns and kasbas. The information is already out there.
To their credit, these agencies are sensitive to GOI's concerns about security, and display older maps of areas of strategic importance, like military airfields, troop positions in siachen, subtly the image quality is degraded over cantonements etc.

Bhuvan's USP was supposed to be better resolution or equal resolution to google earth, it being updated regularly, bringing in ISRO's poweress in remotesensing onto the platform and going beyond simple map and town viewing into areas like mineral mapping, drought affected areas, helping out the fishing industry etc.

It looks like government paranoia about secrecy is letting Bhuvan down. GoI needs to realize, that they can control information much better by giving Bhuvan the freedom that it needs to post high res images, and forcing the other satellite picture softwares out there to adhere to what level of info is displayed on Bhuvan.

The other aspect is that the amount of data that Bhuvan has set out to reveal on its site along with its promise of updating it frequently is way beyond the capabilities of a sarkari organization. Each map picture has to be vetted before it is aligned on the software, and this process has to be done over and over again throuout the year. I think they need a private organization to maintain the site, otherwise this will end up like all the sarkari websites which are just not updated, are constructed poorly, and mostly out of order.

Let us not compare the Railways network as a good example. That network is mostly overburdened by even the small amount of data that is needed to book a simple ticket. That site is mostly down when you try to book online. At booking offices that are far away from the main nodes, the service breaks down very often. The railways needs to upgrade to a much higher bandwidth solution, faster servers etc.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

No Gagan. Bhuvan fails only on resolution. We want to see only our favorite landmarks and enemy positions (for BRFites) but have you spent time on Bhuvan recently before having a rant? There is a huge amount of information available that is unavailable from Google earth.

Only the resolution is currently not equal to GE - but as far as India information goes - information that is useful for Govt depratments is available far better than GE. Some things are so clear on Bhuvan that I find myself browsing Bhuvan and cross checking with GE

They are adding new info every day.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

I spent quite some time on Bhuvan.

If you want to see the mango tree on your backyard, you will be disappointed. But then how useful is it, except for ogling at it a bit ?

However, the overlay information is fantastic ! If you want to build a canal or a drainage ditch, or a check dam, you can see exactly who needs it and where to put it. Bhuvan is not for ogling, it is for serious business like urban and rural planning. Think of it as GIS system that every city, town and panchayat can use.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

6 disappointments in Bhuvan
Summary
  1. Bhuvan runs using a browser plug-in.
  2. When a layer (state, district, taluk, etc.) is turned on, it renders unevenly and sometimes fails to render at all.
  3. Dissappointing resolution
  4. The search doesn't work if a query returns multiple results.
  5. To be more user friendly
  6. Users can also not edit any data or tag locations.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

SSridhar wrote:6 disappointments in Bhuvan
Summary
  1. Bhuvan runs using a browser plug-in.
  2. When a layer (state, district, taluk, etc.) is turned on, it renders unevenly and sometimes fails to render at all.
  3. Dissappointing resolution
  4. The search doesn't work if a query returns multiple results.
  5. To be more user friendly
  6. Users can also not edit any data or tag locations.

Once again some of these assessments are needlessly self-flagellatory considering that information is being added every day and the amount available increases by the day and the version is still in beta probably because info is still being added. Yesterday I got the weather reading for a village near Bangalore, but not for Bangalore itself. A huge amount of data is being linked with Bhuvan. I suspect that all the scathing critics will be made to eat humble pie if someone bothers to record what they have said and then throw it in their faces once the refinements come trough.

Why would anyone want to look at Connaught place to compare GE and Bhuvan? Looking at Aksai Chin for example - the highest resolution of Bhuvan is better than the highest resolution provided by GE over most of the area. it is easier to follow roads and tracks on Bhuvan than GE.
SKrishna
BRFite

Post by SKrishna »

I think the biggest disappointment is that ISRO has chosen to use a browser plugin instead of using open standards like HTML5 to implement Bhuvan. This restricts usage not only to windows only platform but excludes a vast majority of mobile platforms from accessing bhuvan on the go! (The future is mobile! plus I doubt that the piddily Pocket IE can support bhuvan too).

I have not been able to access Bhuvan just because I use a Mac, same is true for a lot of Linux users. As a government sponsored initiative they should have made using open standards the cornerstone of their tech strategy..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Manasvi wrote:Bhuvan is Now available with FireFox and Netscape

Thanks for the info - it works on Firefox.

I note that most of the weather station data is now working
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Bhuvan readies for new vista
Excerpts
The beta status may remain for another three or four months.

“Bhuvan may finally also reach mobile users, who are asking for navigational features. People now want high resolution images and want to add content from their side. The beta site is addressing these issues,” Dr Jayaraman told Business Line.

“The Bhuvan site has been getting 1,000 hits (registrations) an hour from 70 countries,” Dr Jayaraman said. “We have been constantly fine-tuning the site, making the entry processes smoother and adding new features based on the feedback we get.”

The 20-member Bhuvan team has been making the processes easier; adding applications such as daily weather and increasing the bandwidth (now at 200 mbps).

However, 5.8 m is the maximum resolution now allowed under the Indian remote-sensing policy, though ISRO has even sub-metre capability through Cartosat-2A – and which is given to commercial and government users in special cases.
a_kumar
BRFite

Post by a_kumar »

I see couple of new features... but overall the portal is beginning to dissapoint. Stability seems to be worsening.

It was better a month ago.. but for last two days, freezes my browser and sucks up 400K of memory!!

Still waiting for good resolution of cities (I can't even see streets). Eagerly looking for the actual release and praying it is given away to some creative minds in private domain.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Up

Of Late Bhuvan portal has improved a lot. I see new imageries with upto 50 Mts resolution. Quite detailed for planning.

http://bhuvan.nrsc.gov.in/map/bhuvannew/bhuvan2d.php

http://bhuvan.nrsc.gov.in/bhuvan_links.php#

I hope they make available 1Mt data also and allow geo tagging and photo upload with placemarks.
I have not yet checked all its features. Will explore.