LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

Post by Prasad »

Forget importing autoclaves (which I suppose is also on the export control list), we made our own. Here is a paper from NAL about making autoclaves - http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijae/2011/985871/

And people are moving to out of autoclave manufacturing too. We could do that for the amca in future instead of energy hungry autoclave processes. Anyway enough OT from me.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SaiK wrote:^^^that is because, katrina masters were interested in Reliance being their bonded slaves, as Reliance themselves have no clue in management, engineering nor developing precision-safety-critical- systems like an advanced fighter jet. HAL has matured in many respects, but Reliance has not. They need solid backing and back scratching., and Dassault is more than willing because they have the controls., and can tame Reliance to dance to their tunes. with HAL, the maturity speaks.

Reliance is just a puppy! while with HAL, it is funds and process-change lethargy to an extent (later is correctable). Dassault refused to share technology due to this reason that HAL can easily take it while Reliance will struggle thru, and be always dependable. HAL, will bend time and light to do it in its own pace, and still pay their low salaries. Reliance can't afford that nor is capable to deliver given the complexity of the product.
reliance's forte is project management. on time, on schedule and mostly under budget.

they built and are running the worlds most complicated, integrated and most efficient refinery in terms of being to process any crude and make any product and their refining margins are the lowest among the worlds refiners.

they will ace the aircraft project and that along with their ruthless ability to manage the "environment" politically is what made the frenchies settle for them. if push came to shove, the anbanis will eat the frenchies alive and not even burp. India is really their turf.

the ambanis will buy out the frenchies if they see a good future in the business. They have their beady eyes on either a boeing or an airbus type production line. they see a huge potential in space vehicles , boosters too
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

chetak wrote:reliance's forte is project management. on time, on schedule and mostly under budget.

they built and are running the worlds most complicated, integrated and most efficient refinery in terms of being to process any crude and make any product and their refining margins are the lowest among the worlds refiners.
Reliance Jamnagar was built by Bechtel, Honeywell and others. Further, Reliance has little experience in heavy engineering. They are arguably good at turnkey operation.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

the ambanis will buy out the frenchies if they see a good future in the business. They have their beady eyes on either a boeing or an airbus type production line. they see a huge potential in space vehicles , boosters too
The entire reason the Rafale exists is to ensure the capability of the French defense industry to be self sufficient in support of their national objectives. Wth Dassault the only major airframe integrator it will be protected like a national asset and would not be sold off at any cost unless France ushers in a dramatic shift in its National Security policy.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Suraj wrote:
chetak wrote:reliance's forte is project management. on time, on schedule and mostly under budget.

Reliance Jamnagar was built by Bechtel, Honeywell and others. Further, Reliance has little experience in heavy engineering. They are arguably good at turnkey operation.
yes. what you say is right. but at the end of the day, it's still a bunch of vegetarian lalas who are monitoring it all at the top.

what did ambani pere know about the polyester raw material production?? yet he ruled the market with FEAR, the very same fear which is existing even today among reliance customers.

Like I said, they have unparalleled experience in project management and "environment" management

Their refinery senior executives stay in bombay and work in jamnagar and every morning a fleet of aircraft take off for jamnagar and they are back in the evening. ambani knows who to hire, pays very well and understands how to squeeze for delivery.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

brar_w wrote:
The entire reason the Rafale exists is to ensure the capability of the French defense industry to be self sufficient in support of their national objectives. Wth Dassault the only major airframe integrator it will be protected like a national asset and would not be sold off at any cost unless France ushers in a dramatic shift in its National Security policy.
I meant maybe buy out rafale's Indian interest if need be. What is rafale going to do in India after the delivery of order ?? they are dependent on the ambanis for Indian business and not the other way around

I have seen aerospace companies set up by some very cash rich Indian companies for making products far far removed from their core business. They have imported the entire plant lock stock and barrel and usually start by supplying items back to their principals but their eyes are always focused on the developing Indian military market
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618 7h7 hours ago
TASL is keen to build the LCA also. They are also open to being Tier-1 to HAL. They are taking a strategic decision on this it seems.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

TASL already supplies many composite parts for LCA. If they could scale to bigger share of LCA, then all the most reason to cheer, as it will lead to scaling of LCA production.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

chetak wrote:yes. what you say is right. but at the end of the day, it's still a bunch of vegetarian lalas who are monitoring it all at the top.

what did ambani pere know about the polyester raw material production?? yet he ruled the market with FEAR, the very same fear which is existing even today among reliance customers.

Like I said, they have unparalleled experience in project management and "environment" management

Their refinery senior executives stay in bombay and work in jamnagar and every morning a fleet of aircraft take off for jamnagar and they are back in the evening. ambani knows who to hire, pays very well and understands how to squeeze for delivery.
Reliance is not a heavy engineering firm. They've never demonstrated any interest in getting involved in this. As an analogy, they can arguably run an airline, but it doesn't mean they are any good at building airplanes. Reliance Power imports Chinese power equipment, or buys from BHEL. Reliance Mobile imports Huawei/ZTE stuff. You're going off on a tangent here attributing capabilities to them that they've never demonstrated. Please stop. You've already been informally censured for a rather terrible post elsewhere.

There are companies in India with a base of heavy engineering expertise who can individually, or as a consortium, potentially build fighter aircraft, but Reliance is not really among them. Producing LCA in the private sector primarily emphasizes a domestic supply chain. Reliance is excellent at importing equipment and foreign expertise, and having it churn out products they can sell. That's not the goal here. It is to develop the manufacturing expertise among a domestic supplier base, not find a company who's great at subcontracting work.
Hobbes
BRFite

Post by Hobbes »

Nick_S wrote:Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618 7h7 hours ago
TASL is keen to build the LCA also. They are also open to being Tier-1 to HAL. They are taking a strategic decision on this it seems.
Now that would be a real win/win. TASL have proven their chops with the Sikorsky cabin assembly work as well as the RuAG JV for the Dornier 228 fuselage and wing assemblies. They'd be an ideal choice for the second Tejas line. If only the MoD were to feel the same way.... hope the IAF supports the proposal and pushes strongly for them. And of course with TASL on board, exports become a real possibility.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

chetak, not everyone can be as successful as GE, P&W, RR, or Snecma. They have of course some venn dig for tech sharing and history.. what turned them into effective precision engineering house is the learning process that takes repetitive feedback looped based learning that goes into these safety critical systems.[they have well established models and processes to demonstrate how they got there. it is no simple effort and funds] for that reason, many in the world have not mastered with jet engines. even the chinese are struggling.. though they might come out of it by even copying the brains. they might steal, hijack, ransom, and make someone work on it to get it going.

a refinery is no comparison to fighter jet. not even apples and oranges. it is like saying, transistor radio and iphone6+ to get some level playing. well, i don't want to compare and OT, but to get you to understand there is no comparison here. they have no expertise here at all.

Tatas have something established.. like comparing zilog-80 processor and core i7 skylake proc.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Reliance is also involved in power, telecom, infrastructure, finance, insurance, retail and so on. It hasn't failed in its other ventures, but its not been an exceptional success story either.

Unfortunately, the core fact remains that unlike Tata or L&T or Bharat Forge or Mahindra or Kirloskar, Reliance has no expertise in hard engineering, despite its size. Its not part of their culture and that part matters, especially when they might receive preferential access to MoD business whether it be via Dassault or via USC.
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

Privatization of HAL is probably key. But IMHO, GOI would not rush with any such privatization till there is some credible alternative to HAL. They don't want to deal with a private monopoly on national security matters.

In a rare case it happens, Reliance could buy stake in HAL. After all project management, marketing, jugaad from Reliance can certainly enrich HAL's delivery timelines and professional image.

What more it fits right into Govt's divestment policies and bringing deficit down.

Modi wants all PSUs to list by March 2017
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

srin wrote:The Indian private sector hasn't typically shown an appetite for risk. The big businessmen typically turn into beggars, pleading for tax deductions, increased import duties and lower interest rates. Funding too is by public banks - they benefit if a venture succeeds and public pays (NPA writeoff) if it fails.

But that isn't the big challenge. We need to have regulation regarding defence technology - background checks for everyone, strict isolation of classified data etc. We just aren't geared up for that.
You have hit the nail on its head.Besides no corporate entity in India has any experience with A/c production, esp fighter planes for obvious reasons. So better to set up supply chain, project management expetise, system integration etc to ensure that private sector capability is slowly built up. As of now HAL has to set up at least another Assembly line. Since order is there for 120 LCA, advance funding can be made through budget transfer subject to conditions that HAL encourages private sector players to get into parts supply etc.HAl can lease those facilities being set up and make a line of credit available to them against orders and supplies.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Kailash wrote: After all project management, marketing, jugaad from Reliance can certainly enrich HAL's delivery timelines and professional image.
Thank you for the morning dose of laughter :rotfl:
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

pandyan wrote:Re lack of heavy engineering ...But they are very gud at engineering news no?
That is light eng work sir, just a patch there and a patch here with some good looks added. :mrgreen:
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I have nothing against Reliance. I like profit-making companies. They are supposed to do so, and REliance is a best example.

But, wake me up when Reliance wants to build Tejas where screwdrivergiri won't work. In fact, wake me up when they are ready to build anything (in the defense sector) which is not not hand-me-downs screwdrivergiri for foreign design houses. The reason Reliance wanted to make Rafales was easy profit (I don't blame them. I just hated the excuses Dassault put forth for them). HAL must have been trying to get as much technology as it could as possibly could. It is in its vested interest as a design house trying to catch up with the global state-of-art supplying primarily to a customer who demands products at global state-of-art. It was in Reliance's interest, that they did the screwdrivergiri and rake in the easy profit. It is obvious where French would have gone. But the excuse they gave (historical ability to absorb technology) still makes me :roll:

On the other hand, reports suggesting that a private second line is coming up/proposed/required are very welcome. There must be a strong wind blowing somewhere making so many reporters say the same thing. I am very happy to know that TASL is seriously looking forward to set up a parallel line or be a Tier I supplier. Probably L&T, Mahindra, and Taneja will also become Tier I suppliers.

These days all Tejas news is good news. Well done Parrikar!
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

I think HAL should manufacture 20,20,120= 160 LCA MK-1 for IAF

While Pvt co company should be granted contract to manufacture LCA Mark-1 for Navy and IAF say 60+120=180 in JV with a foreign company like SAAB or BAE
gnair
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gnair »

Has ADA or HAL ever thought about a Conformal Fuel Tank option over the wings. The wing and body blend looks like it can be re-worked to easily accommodate a good 40 minutes of extra flying as an option. Would anyone be able to give some input on the pros and cons here.

Endurance being one of the improvement areas to be worked on for future variants, what are the options not counting mid-air refuelling. On the Western front, this little jet will have to intercept JF-17's and older F-16's in the border area, inbound F-16-Block 52's and Baburs in the 150 mile zone from border areas and on the Eastern sector, potentially J-10's, FBC-1, SU-27's and TU-16 launched cruise missiles will be the tactical opposition.

The question is, does the LCA have the potential to remain on station and play a good quarter-back roll. If it can, then it's found a niche area in the ORBAT. If it can't, then what does it take to make it happen. For starters, its fuel, lots of ammo for the GSH-23 and at least 4 good shots with short and medium range AAM's.

For the sake of this discussion, lets leave out the rest of the fleet for now. I am looking at a conceptual, effective, sweet spot in the sun for this baby to oppose theories of pessimistic retired generals, presstitutes and those folks spreading negativity.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

gnair wrote:Has ADA or HAL ever thought about a Conformal Fuel Tank option over the wings. The wing and body blend looks like it can be re-worked to easily accommodate a good 40 minutes of extra flying as an option. Would anyone be able to give some input on the pros and cons here.
I am no expert but here are my views on this.The idea is not unworkable but the problems that I can see are:

1. The LCA has a high wing. Any conformal tanks are unlikely to sit as a bulge above the wings. Maybe wing root below the wings
2. Any extra weight like tanks will call for extra power or the plane will become more sluggish and less responsive and the increase in range will be somewhat negated by the increase in weight.
3. Conformal tanks can come only with the addition of a more powerful engine of the same dimensions which could make the idea more workable
4. Perhaps weight reduction in ways unknown to me can be done
5. 10 minutes combat flying with afterburner use will probably use up as much fuel as 40 minutes cruising at 30,000 feet. So "40 minutes extra flying" depends on what sort of flying is required in that sortie
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

gnair, What you are asking about is the fuel fraction of LCA.

weight of internal fuel is 2458kg
weight of clean takeoff is 9500kg
weight of max takeoff is 13200 kg.

So gives fuel fraction of 0.26 to 0.19.
Could be a bit more with external tanks. So more like 0.22.

Best option is weight reduction from 6500kg to 5000 kg (HAL claim)
Gives whopping 0.446.
More realistic is - 500kg.
Gives ~ 40% great going.
So shiv is right.
Reduce weight.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I think that once a policy decision has been made to induct the LCA in numbers it is time to involve other agencies to develop lightweight, smart standoff munitions of the 500 to 1000 kg class to arm the LCA with. Of course if they are good for the LCA they can always be later claimed to be great for Su-30 or Jag to carry in large numbers a la SDB

For example an ARM/bunker buster with an all up weight of 500-1000 kg and a standoff range of anywhere from 25 to 50 km, Inertial and GPS guidance - perhaps with laser homing as well. I don;t know how the optical sensor scene is like in India.
Last edited by shiv on 15 Oct 2015 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
pragnya
BRFite

Post by pragnya »

shiv wrote:Anyone seen this image before
http://defencetalk.net/attachments/55-jpg.10201/
good find shiv. are these the pilots (incl some TPs) who have flown the LCA?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

thats why I was harping on building out the IRNSS constellation asap by mid next year and weaponising it by developing a family of small to medium size guided bombs based on its signal. 250kg and 500kg would be good for a start. make them small and slim so that AMCA internal bay would not be an issue. copy whatever can be learnt from the SDB designs.

advantage is release in any kind of weather condition.

but for a start the replacement of sudarshan has to work because the control system would be shared.
gnair
BRFite -Trainee

Post by gnair »

Thanks for the feedback Ramana and Shiv. So back to the basics then..ie. weight reduction.
Hobbes
BRFite

Post by Hobbes »

Just saw this:http://www.dsalert.co.in/files/October_ ... Chopra.pdf - an article from Defence and Security Alert on IAF modernization, by AM (Retd) Anil Chopra. The article is dated October 2015, yet it refers to the IAF's former position and not what the Chief articulated in his AF Day press conference. From what I understand too the Uttam is a fully indigenous development, with no foreign development partner. I find the reference to the stealthy Mk. III intriguing. Wonder if there is anything to it?
The IAF has a requirement of 200 single-seat and 20 two-seat aircraft. Forty Tejas Mk I have been ordered. The IAF has also committed for 83 Tejas Mk II with the more powerful 98 kN thrust F414 engine and which is more likely to meet the LCA FOC, albeit not earlier than 2022. Finally IAF requires 14 LCA Squadrons with 294 aircraft to replace the MiG-21s. DRDO also has plans to develop indigenous active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar Uttam and a development partner is under selection. Europe’s Airbus Defence and Space and Israel’s Elta are contenders. Tejas is also to be equipped with an Infrared search and track (IRST) sensor pods, FLIR targeting pod, ECM pods, fl are and chaff pod, EO/IR sensor pod etc. The electronic warfare (EW) suite Mayavi is to be developed by Defence Avionics Research Establishment (DARE). In view of delays, unspecified numbers of EW suites have been purchased from Israel’s Elisra. A stealthier LCA Mk III is also planned later.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

pragnya wrote:
shiv wrote:Anyone seen this image before
http://defencetalk.net/attachments/55-jpg.10201/
good find shiv. are these the pilots (incl some TPs) who have flown the LCA?
The patch on pilot's left chest pocket looks similar to this one:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--LG-38Zhbk4/T ... 004_16.jpg

Seems like NFTC.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Hobbes wrote:Just saw this:http://www.dsalert.co.in/files/October_ ... Chopra.pdf - an article from Defence and Security Alert on IAF modernization, by AM (Retd) Anil Chopra. The article is dated October 2015, yet it refers to the IAF's former position and not what the Chief articulated in his AF Day press conference. From what I understand too the Uttam is a fully indigenous development, with no foreign development partner. I find the reference to the stealthy Mk. III intriguing. Wonder if there is anything to it?
The IAF has a requirement of 200 single-seat and 20 two-seat aircraft. Forty Tejas Mk I have been ordered. The IAF has also committed for 83 Tejas Mk II with the more powerful 98 kN thrust F414 engine and which is more likely to meet the LCA FOC, albeit not earlier than 2022. Finally IAF requires 14 LCA Squadrons with 294 aircraft to replace the MiG-21s. DRDO also has plans to develop indigenous active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar Uttam and a development partner is under selection. Europe’s Airbus Defence and Space and Israel’s Elta are contenders. Tejas is also to be equipped with an Infrared search and track (IRST) sensor pods, FLIR targeting pod, ECM pods, fl are and chaff pod, EO/IR sensor pod etc. The electronic warfare (EW) suite Mayavi is to be developed by Defence Avionics Research Establishment (DARE). In view of delays, unspecified numbers of EW suites have been purchased from Israel’s Elisra. A stealthier LCA Mk III is also planned later.
From technological pov, Mk.3 with stealthier features would be a natural progression given steathly AMCA is in the works. Technologies will be inherited both ways. But from user's perspective, I think the IAF is moving more towards medium-heavy fleet.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

deejay wrote:
suryag wrote:sorry for my ignorance, if Reliance can bid for katrina production why cant they step forward for tejas production ?
Good question. Seems like all "keen" kumars for Katrina have developed cold feet for Tejas.

The prices for tejas and it's bits and pieces are known as is the profit margin. This will not attract robber baron companies who are looking to make a real killing from defence investments.

There is still vast scope for padding the costs for rafale stuff or other phoren maaal
astal
BRFite

Post by astal »

srai wrote:
From technological pov, Mk.3 with stealthier features would be a natural progression given steathly AMCA is in the works. Technologies will be inherited both ways. But from user's perspective, I think the IAF is moving more towards medium-heavy fleet.
It seems like some officers in the IAF have this point of view like Matheshwaran. But the operational costs associated with a top heavy fleet would be prohibitive and IAF would not be able to afford the 45 squadron strength that they intended to have. We would have to have a "medium" version of Tejas, about the size of a Mirage 2000 with an enhanced engine, sensor fusion, low observability and higher range, eventually. The aerodynamics will have to be revised but many internals could be reused.
pragnya
BRFite

Post by pragnya »

rohitvats wrote:The patch on pilot's left chest pocket looks similar to this one:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--LG-38Zhbk4/T ... 004_16.jpg

Seems like NFTC.
thanks rohit. appreciate that.

btw a 2011 report from Tarmak of all those who flew LCA.

hope he comes with a report of the rest who flew.
KBDagha
BRFite

Post by KBDagha »

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

gnair wrote:Thanks for the feedback Ramana and Shiv. So back to the basics then..ie. weight reduction.
Actually this is a rather advanced challenge...if you notice most fighters keep gaining weight with the passage of time just like good housewives. If Lca mk1a loses weight, it will have to be serious exercise, diet and possibly liposuction.

Btw, cft on a single engined, small bird might increase fuel fraction but will have major consequences on agility and performance.

It is primarily designed as a small nimble air defence fighter, load it up, and it will not do well in that role. Iirc, the solah also suffers from this. Even worse, in case of emergency the lca won't be able to shed the cfts unlike efts.

Right now I'm just hoping to see a bvr fighter with secondaryt strike capability....streamlined in time. Cherry on top will be a production run of 400 in two blocks
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

deccan chronicle also reporting landing gear issue on front page citing defense min sources. however on back page suggested that the cause has been identified and will be resolved soon citing hal sources.
sounds like a hit job though. the problem seems to have happened in jaisalmer. it seems that a minor glitch is being made into a major issue. when were these trials in jaisalmer held?
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ IIRC, this was reported a few months back and was dismissed as a hit job on BRF even then.

I guess the incident ( since too many reports of the same) did happen but as usual got overblown by over-enthusiastic DDM
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Not necessarily a hit job or a fatal flaw which is the way some reports are written (or interpreted).

All aircraft develop mystery issues that need sorting. This is sure to be addressed if it has not already been done. Note that the Tejas in various models has seen thousands of takeoffs and landings.
KBDagha
BRFite

Post by KBDagha »

I guess DDMs are trying to make mountain out of the mole.. to portray Tejas in bad light.
member_27581
BRFite

Post by member_27581 »

these are the people who can't write a single article without spellchecker and talk about designing a plane as if it is available in some toy shop
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Some stuff coming from the HAL guy who is in-charge of LCA and IJT assembly line and final testing.

- A policy decision is made at higher management level already to outsource all the MFG to private companies. HAL would like to be only lead integrator and keep competency in 3 areas mainly - Equipment, Testing and Design. In fact he emphasized that MFG is not forte of HAL and we want to do away with it as soon as possible. But it will take time for this transition.

- 80% metal parts for LCA are outsourced already. Its the composites where real void exists.

- For private suppliers supplying parts in tiny numbers doesn't make business case and thus they shy away. There are some other issues as well - sometimes some component made of some imported material is more costly itself than the machining cost that a supplier would incur. The material will be provided by HAL but if the supplier screws up he has to reimburse material cost to HAL. The supplier could lost entire profit margin to one small mistake resulting scrapping of one piece. This makes things worse for them. (To be fair with HAL, the material is very expensive and difficult to procure since it would be imported).

- Composite fabric we procure are made up of raw material from Japanese companies who monopolize the market. Once they refused to sell to India and we were left high and dry. So sourcing material such as composites/high grade alloys is troublesome.

- IJT has had some significant structural changes in wing due to spin issues. (We know already its up for spin testing, he confirmed that).

- HAL is going towards "Digital Manufacturing" with entire process fully digitized. He said the shift to more digitization started with full force since 7-8 years. Before that a lot of trouble would be there transferring design from designers and all.

- In no uncertain terms he showed his disdain regarding how the LCA designers have ignored "design for manufacture" principle. He said in India MFG guy has no power, designer is GOD. If you go to Europe MFG guy will have a last say. He actually showed picture of one component from LEVCON which was really ridiculous design to be frank. (It seems ADA worked with HAL design teams closely, but collectively ADA-HAL designers never worked with MFG guys. Manufacturability was not thought of properly during design. In fact I have heard similar POV from another HAL MFG engg who have seen Kaveri engine development closely - a major factor for failure of Kaveri was unrealistic design features and tolerances which were too cumbersome to manufacture. We clearly see a pattern here: Lack of understanding in designer community for manufacturing. During my Mech engg, we were thought this as first thing - there will be always rift among the mechanical engg and the production engg. Both need to work closely for a design to be successful. Guess people forget all basics after they get out of colleges. Clearly lack of real experience in designing complex aerospace system shows up in the designer community. But next iteration will be much better I am sure).

- He emphasized - LCA needs to be flown by IAF line pilots, that's the real deal. Then only we will see the real potential of LCA and problems/improvements/feedback will come up. He said if I had my way, I would have made sure at-least 50 LCA fly in IAF colors as soon as possible. (An opinion I have already expressed here).

- LCA has too many LRUs - 370 something. Typical a/c of this size should have only 200 odd. This causes big problem in maintainability. Work need to be done to reduce the number of LRUs by clubbing things together.

- Told 1-2 ancedotes how HAL had been fooled by Russians in past - "Everyone fools us because we don't know anything".

(From his talk, it seems HAL haven't really invested in MFG competancy. They have decent facilities but it was only on need basis. Goes well with how eager they are to outsource the MFG).

Couldn't ask much to him about LCA/IJT projects due to lack of time and inappropriateness of situation.