INS Vikramaditya: News and Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Re: INS Vikramaditya: News and Discussion

Post by member_22539 »

Khalsa wrote:I admire his steadfast appreciation and support from the Russians.
** Deleted **
Last edited by SSridhar on 20 Nov 2015 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Arun Menon, that was unwarranted and I have removed your comment.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Arun Menon wrote:
Khalsa wrote:....
I have reported these posts. As much as I would like to see american hardware replace the russian junk that is the flagshop of YOUR navy, insulting posters and casting aspersions should have no place in civil discussion.

There ought to be a cost to making empty accusations like this, or even the folks who have turned to lurking will leave altogether let alone posting something meaningful.

Then you can post lockheed brochures to your hearts content.

edited: to match mod edits. mod edited content removed from quoted.
Last edited by Shreeman on 20 Nov 2015 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

Shreeman wrote:empty accusations like this
Either you have not read many posts of his or you are being facetious. Anyway, enough of discussing a "poster." Nothing more on that from me at this point.

Also, please do not threaten others regarding pressing the report button. That is your prerogative (as it is mine) and the mod's actions are his.

BRF lurkers are not as thin skinned as you make them out to be and they are more than capable of understanding the biases of each poster, so please do not take up the mantle of being their "protector."

I also wonder why you took the trouble of loudly announcing you reported this and that. Are you claiming credit for vanquishing your imagined wrongdoer? Currying favor?

Anyway, this is my last to you as well. So, enjoy.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

I am not really in support or opposition of american or russian maal, but Philip saar definitely comes across as a walking talking brochure for the russian arms industry. No doubt we are partners and all, but among the page long comments of Phillip Saar, there's typically a clear inclination for russian products almost 100% of the time.

Either way, it seems more like spamming than a genuine comment from a genuine poster. Evidently, he is an old and knowledgable member but his constant spamming provides little substance.There has to be some standards on what is and what isn't posted. Just a humble opinion :)
nevin
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nevin »

that big drum like thing on top of Vikramaditya is the Naval TACAN unit - tactical air navigation unit which assists the carrier based planes to find their way back while landing. It is old bulky 'cake stand' type with movable mechanical parts used by the soviet navy as seen in Kuznetsov too. There are much modern compact electronic versions available - the Chinese went for those when they overhauled the Varyag. Wonder why the IN stuck with the older design.
nevin
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nevin »

The large drum's name is Rezistor-K4.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Gents,in another post,I've firmly showed how my approach has always been objective not subjective. The hard fact is that 70% of our milware is of Russian origin.Historical reasons. Even today it is Russia that has given us our cutting edge weapon systems like MKIs ,BMos,Akulas,N-sub tech,etc. However,we do have alternatives,and as I maintain,"horses for courses".The 3 "C" mantra is my policy. Capability,Cost and Convenience of operations and support. In general,Russian wares come in far cheaper than Western wares.Take a look at the latest deal for SU-35s for China,24 for just $2B.That would make just $#B for 36.Compare that with what figures we are seeing for the 36 Rafales!

The Q about the MIG-29Ks is because we have seen naval air strikes from US and French carriers in action earlier.It would be worthwhile to examine the reach of the 29Ks operating from the Vik-A as well with a worthwhile payload.Both for anti-ship and land attack,without refuelling,though budyy-buddy refuelling is supposedly poss.

PS:Whether we like it or not,we operate the Vik-A,successfully for 2 yrs. now and the 29Ks aboard.With the fitting of B-1 SAMs,its integral air defence has been strengthened,would've been better with the B-8s though and if new ASW multi-role helos are procured,even more lethal against subs. The Vik-A is thus equipped and ready for combat and the query asked was in this context.
Last edited by Philip on 20 Nov 2015 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Arun Menon, Alka_P, Shreeman: there is no need to discuss the issue anymore after my ruling.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

x-post from the Naval thread.

Some hitherto unseen visuals of the Vikramaditya. Lots of close up shots of the 29K landing and taking off, some visuals of the hangars, flight deck activity, good perspective of the arrestor wires, night take off, etc. Even a nice close up of the venerable Harriers taking off and landing on the Viraat. Perhaps the most detailed video of the Vikramaditya so far. Enjoy.

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^cool.. we still are strong on harrier on vik.

btw, here we see some dam good kubs behind in mint!

Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Good view of the STGR ... am yet to find the AK-630 :-(

Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

INS viraat bonus ...

Courtsey Vishnu Som
Last edited by Aditya G on 24 Jan 2016 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Aditya G wrote:INS viraat bonus ...

bichhar does not show if not logged in udder forum.

also, look in the place shown in the thumbnail of the video above.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Link corrected. A few more for appreciation:

The sight of fully equipped air wings on Viraat and Vikramaditya is such a sight ...

Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

R22 is a great functioning operation sea king operator, 6 of those on board and it could lug a whole bunch of "stuff" 1000s of miles without additional capital spending. Far better than trenton. Pity she cant be repurposed like that for another 10. Hull must be in bad shape. A bird in hand, otherwise.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Aditya G wrote:Good view of the STGR ... am yet to find the AK-630 :-(

The Superstructure there looks big enough to accomodate other bigger radars the STGR looks punny there
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Shreeman wrote:R22 is a great functioning operation sea king operator, 6 of those on board and it could lug a whole bunch of "stuff" 1000s of miles without additional capital spending. Far better than trenton. Pity she cant be repurposed like that for another 10. Hull must be in bad shape. A bird in hand, otherwise.
Viraat is infact a "commando carrier". It also has multiple davits which used to have LCVPs that can be used for small beachings.

IMHO we should order a second vikrant CV immediately with an emphasis on commando and ASW missions. The fighter complement may be smaller with more helicopters and LCVPs.

The 65K super carrier may be introduced in the 2040 timeframe to replace/augment Vikramaditya.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

IMHO we should order a second vikrant CV immediately with an emphasis on commando and ASW missions. The fighter complement may be smaller with more helicopters and LCVPs.
Thankfully it will not happen - as far as I can tell.

Dec 14, 2015 :: On the contrary:
There is also the strong possibility of another indigenous carrier, IAC-III.

While the IAC-I has a ski-jump to launch aircraft, IAC-II and IAC-III will likely use the EMALS to catapult aircraft from short distances of the carrier decks.
So, currently, if they want another carrier, they have thought of the more sensible solution.
The 65K super carrier may be introduced in the 2040 timeframe to replace/augment Vikramaditya.
Will be too late for the IAC-II. Geo-politics will dictate a ASAP entry. Cannot run away from that.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Which year do you think the EMALS based carrier is joining the Navy - to meet the stated geo political need?

Milestones vs Years

1. Design completion by DND
2. Various approvals by DAC etc
3. GOTUS approvals for EMALS etc
4. Contract awarded
5. Ship commission

Cochin Shipyard has said that they can build a second Vikrant CV in 4 years. So if you handout a contract today then you will get the ship in 2025 max
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Aditya G wrote:Which year do you think the EMALS based carrier is joining the Navy - to meet the stated geo political need?

Milestones vs Years

4. Contract awarded
5. Ship commission

Cochin Shipyard has said that they can build a second Vikrant CV in 4 years. So if you handout a contract today then you will get the ship in 2025 max
Will get to that in a bit.

Meanwhile, I am not sure if you are aware that an article in SPs Naval Forces mag, Jan 2016 issue, claims that IN has approval for 2 additional 45,000 ton boats. Not one more - as you would like, but two.

Also, are you aware that a vice adm (perhaps retired) (Ravi Vohra) claimed IN wants 5 carriers (not 3) - with a small and "large" config. I assume that a small is 45K and a large is 65K. So, you still may see what you want, but my point is that number of such ships is not the determining factor. A 65K boat without EMALS supports some 34 planes, with EMALS 50. That is a good swing. And, let us see, ALL the JWG meet within the month, that should provide a good picture which way they are headed. There is something in the air.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

If IN can secure approval for 5 carriers, then good for the navy. Till date all talk has been of INS Vishal alone. I hope IN will pursue the Vikrant class as in my estimate EMALS based carrier and compatible air wing is at least 15-20 years away assuming everything goes well:

1. Design completion by DND ~2019
2. Various approvals by DAC etc ~ 2021
3. GOTUS approvals for EMALS etc ~ 2023
4. Contract awarded ~ 2025
5. Ship commission ~ 2035
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

In the first video, at 0:05 you can see one of the two AK-630 and at 0:13 you can see the Barak structure, that looks lifted lock, stock & barrel from the Godavari. In the second video, at 0:42 you can see the Kh-35 air launched variant.

One of the reasons INS Viraat is decommissioned early is to release crew for INS Vikrant. Lot of HAT/SAT will need to be held before commissioning. The Vizag based MiG-29 squadron under raising will in all probability form the compliment of INS Vikrant.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

On stb sponson ... Yes see it now thanks. Beside it seems to be eon-51 turret.

I think they could have fitted a 76 mm cannon in that space. But then the engineers lifted the complete cwiz complex from godavari so it was easy
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

NRao wrote:
Aditya G wrote:Which year do you think the EMALS based carrier is joining the Navy - to meet the stated geo political need?

Milestones vs Years

4. Contract awarded
5. Ship commission

Will get to that in a bit.

Meanwhile, I am not sure if you are aware that an article in SPs Naval Forces mag, Jan 2016 issue, claims that IN has approval for 2 additional 45,000 ton boats. Not one more - as you would like, but two.

Also, are you aware that a vice adm (perhaps retired) (Ravi Vohra) claimed IN wants 5 carriers (not 3) - with a small and "large" config. I assume that a small is 45K and a large is 65K. So, you still may see what you want, but my point is that number of such ships is not the determining factor. A 65K boat without EMALS supports some 34 planes, with EMALS 50. That is a good swing. And, let us see, ALL the JWG meet within the month, that should provide a good picture which way they are headed. There is something in the air.
To add to that: Janes is claiming that Vishal (with reactor + EMALS) could be ready as early as 2033 (do NOT have a URL yet).

Have not had the time, but did note your other post, so here is what I have todate:

1. Design completion by DND - end of 2016

2. Various approvals by DAC etc - DAC has been active - they already allocated some amount for the design. I guess you are talking of design related allocations. Yes, it will consume some time, but with Parrikar at the helm past should not be an indicator. So, will leave that to you/others to decide. However. based on your math: 2018-19.

3. GOTUS approvals for EMALS etc - Do not know where the confusion is. EMALS was offered even before Obama visited India exactly a year ago. It was after that visit they formed the JWG for "Jet Engine" and "Carrier". After that India "fast tracked" IAC-II. Then came the news that the "carrier" group would look into "Design" of IAC-II if India wanted help - which was accepted by IN. "Design" cannot be done without deciding on "EMALS" - not possible. Or for that matter nuclear.

Soooooo, ............ IN is not going to consider EMALS unless it has been approved. Just no way. Also, I need to check into how much "make in India" plays into this, if it does. I had read, but teh source was not too good, that there was a "co-development" "co-production" (much like Brahmos). But , how much can India benefit in making one (or two) systems, I do not know.

But, I would wait till Feb 7th (or so), when the "Carrier" JWG meets again in B'luru. I expect that meeting to produce more details. However, my expectations is IAC-II will be EMALS based. Nuclear? Speculating: 50-50%.

4. Contract awarded - Should be much faster and previous experience should not be an indicator

5. Ship commission - again, same as above - much faster. I would go with the Janes 2033 date.

Going by your math:

2016, 2018, 2020 - 2030 commission. Not going to wait for years for EMALS approval, it is already done. Ball in Indian court.

Go PACOM :wink:

I had come across what tonnage means to a carrier, need to dig that out. With an increase in tonnage the carrier gets a huge uplift in certain feature - if such features are not needed, then a smaller tonnage will do. So, 65,000 tons IAC-II is nothing to do with a "bigger ship" but more with certain features that they just cannot introduce in a smaller boat. And, there is nothing like make it a wee bit smaller.

I would not be surprised if the IAC-II grows a lot bigger - except that India does not seem to have a yard for it (do not know that for a fact).

BTW, 65K - 50 planes. 100K - 80 planes. The thing with "bigger" is variety of planes too.

OK, done.
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

NRao, could you please post the relevant section about the two more 45000 ton carriers from SP Naval forces? If this is true, then this would be an interesting development.

Is there anything on the LPH program? A LPH is much more useful than a dedicated carrier for all manner of missions.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

Guys let's not spill out info till the media or PIB does it. For the interest of the nation. Assuming it isn't in out in the media already.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

For those who missed it....

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The two lonely AK mounts on the stern sponsons could've been Kashtan gun/missile mounts instead. Greater anti-air capability for such a vital asset. Good news about the extra small CVs,if true.2033 for the Vishal ?I will most probably be in Davy Jones' locker by then and will never see her sail!
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Aditya G wrote:Beside it seems to be eon-51 turret.
Its not EON-51
Mk1 http://drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/newsletter/2007/sep_07.pdf
Mk 2 http://drdo.gov.in/drdo/labs/IRDE/Engli ... chieve.jsp

Should be a Russian sight, though all Russian sights are different
Here is the published design http://concern-agat.ru/images/Productio ... ira-02.jpg
Here is the Russian EO sight on Teg/Tarkash/Trikand https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... mage26.jpg

The one on Vikramaditya is different than both!

Philip - Kashtan is a dud
Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

@Tsarkar sir,
What would have been the optimum CIWS system for Vikramaditya in your opinion.

Couldn't we choose the better double barrelled 'AK-630M-2 Duet'
Last edited by Avinandan on 31 Jan 2016 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Avinandan wrote:@Tsarkar sir,
What would have been the optimum CIWS system from Vikramaditya in your opinion.

Couldn't we choose the better double barrelled 'AK-630M-2 Duet'
Because only Ak-630 are being license manufactured. As for Kashtan from what i understand navy wasn't too happy with it, Russian claim to have addressed some of shortfalls with Kashtan-M but it was never considered.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

4 x 76mm super-rapid Oto guns with anti missile ammo would have extended the protection bubble from 2km to 8km.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Philip wrote:A quick Q.What would be the approx. combat radius of a MIG-29K operating from the Vik-A with a payload of approx. 4000kg?
Around 800km
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

800km indicates 1600km flying time, 2 hrs @ 800kmph high altitude profile?
that would be for a in-and-out strike mission with no loitering.

for a air defence patrol mission would the eqn be different as in go 250km out (20 mins), loiter for 80 mins and then return for 20 mins with some reserve....? thats a very low endurance and given the small number of Mig29k onboard is not sustainable for long to keep up CAPs.

the real eqn will be with 6 AAM (4 bvr, 2 small) around 2 tons

I have never seen the Mig29K with drop tanks - the hornets can take off and land with 3 drop tanks.

this is a critical issue if the 29K cannot have drop tanks

we need 3 hour time on station 250km out with a pair of Mig29K, and radar scanning out some 500+km to give enough time for another pair of Mig29k to take off and join them if needed.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Mig 29k range should be decent....not mki level certainly but better than most viper and mirages....about 2000km ferry on internal fuel is the spec iirc. it can act as a tanker as well...
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Neither the M2K, nor the F-16 are carrier borne aircraft. Nor do they take off from a ski jump and have range/payload considerations that are important when carrying a lot of bags. Can the Mig-29K take off in the configuration in the picture or even a pair of tanks, a decent weapons load from a carrier? I have no idea but it probably can take off with some extra fuel given certain missions and payloads but eventually its the carrier limitation and not the aircraft.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

can they refuel each other like the f-18 does with buddy stores tanks?
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

TSJones wrote:can they refuel each other like the f-18 does with buddy stores tanks?
Yes