Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Army: News and Discussions 11 June 2014

Post by deejay »

^^^ Yes General. Also, while I am not sure why, I do not see Army men getting killed in combat in Valley as "Victims". As military men are combatants, they are Martyrs, as are the Civilians but the Civilian population is also a "Victim" of terrorism.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Colonel Mahadik should be getting the Ashok Chakra next year.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

the brave die young. my grateful salute to the Colonel.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

RIP Colonel Mahadik. A martyr never dies.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

The Indian Army infantry is very well equipped. RR especially has everything at its disposable to fight the COIN and CT war. I am not saying they have wiz-bang gold plated gear, NVGs for every sainik, AC-130 cover etc, but they are not lacking in equipment.

Unless i have missed it, the Colonel's death was not due to lack of protective gear.
Septimus P. wrote:...High time, IA improves protective kit, we still see front line units going into battle with hardly any protection. Often SF folk too don't carry any BJPs. There needs to be stricter adherence to protocol.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

:P yea - you see no Amir khan or Nato soldier has died - BPJs etc protected them
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Col Santosh Mahadik...RIP, Sir.

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

What is the badge above the Balidaan badge, I cant make it out.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Sid wrote:RIP Colonel Mahadik. A martyr never dies.
So the son of a tailor leads his unit and sacrifices his life for our nation. The son of a chaiwallah leads our nation. While the privileged sons of b1tches - Rahul Gandhi, Arvind Kejriwal and Mani Shankar Aiyar try their level best to destroy our nation.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Read this news on IDRW... not sure how authentic it is. But if it is - Respected Def Minister should take care of it going ahead - Link

As per article... Def Min was casually walking \ strolling during Guard of Honor with hand in its pocket which is disrespect to our forces
Last edited by nits on 19 Nov 2015 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Raja Bose wrote:What is the badge above the Balidaan badge, I cant make it out.
That is the RR Badge worn by those who've served with RR.

Chest badge equivalent of this: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jaganpv ... R.jpg.html
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Just two random thoughts. The swag on the Colonel in the picture posted by rohitvats, that makes me stand half a foot taller just because I share the same nationality as this officer. He looks the ideal of the officer and man I and my friends wanted to be in our youth.

And then look at another photo, the one just above of the child saluting, now my much older self also feels guilt. The best men die for an ideal and leave behind the rest of us. I do not deserve his sacrifice, but I know that India belongs to people like him. I hope the privileged chattering class of whom I am a member can be worthy of him.
Last edited by Baikul on 20 Nov 2015 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Would help if desi media is sensitized to a abre minimum level at least ...

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

nits wrote:Read this news on IDRW... not sure how authentic it is. But if it is - Respected Def Minister should take care of it going ahead - Link

[img...]http://s4.firstpost.in/wp-content/uploa ... HONOUR.jpg[/img]

As per article... Def Min was casually walking \ strolling during Guard of Honor with hand in its pocket which is disrespect to our forces
A little disconcerting to say the least. Is the image photo shopped by any chance? I wouldn't put it beyond the MSAs who casually ask for Pakistani help in assassinating leaders who are standing in their way of gutting their motherland.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Hari Seldon wrote:Would help if desi media is sensitized to a abre minimum level at least ...
One thing I have always admired about US armd forces is the way their boys are shown in press. Their unit, rank, awards all precedes their name in every press release. This follows with an impecable potrait shot.

That picture, that name, all that details burns into memory. People remember who sacrificed for them.

In our DDM its just another major/colonel/capt/jco followed by a blurry passport size photo. Instead of singing folkalore about our selfless army men, all we get is some sketchy generic details. Nor anyone invests anytime in exploring anything.

They deserve better, we deseve better. Business Standard does some good reporting on defence matters, but overall its a sad situation.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

vayu tuvan wrote:
nits wrote:Read this news on IDRW... not sure how authentic it is. But if it is - Respected Def Minister should take care of it going ahead - Link

A little disconcerting to say the least. Is the image photo shopped by any chance? I wouldn't put it beyond the MSAs who casually ask for Pakistani help in assassinating leaders who are standing in their way of gutting their motherland.
Press is just capitalizing on a gotcha moment, like POTUS Obama man spreading for Fuhrer Merkel.

Still better then saint Anthony who had no respect for forces.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

That photo of Shree Parrikar is bogus. Like this hyperventilation by some jackoff, complete with admiration for that Canadian sardar defense minister, "who is diligently studying for Putin", as per shameless canuck media portrayal of his badassery (btw, khan, who is prosecuting the Afghan theatre war, are silent about his awesomeness)

http://www.firstpost.com/india/defence- ... 08738.html
One retired army veteran writes: "Do see how an Indian Sardar, Harjit sajan just appointed Defence Minister of Canada, reviews a parade! Kindly focus on his turn out(compare that to yours)."

One is surprised that the Armed Forces Chiefs have not taken objection to this sort of turnout, which is why it is imperative that the truth be told. You owe the Army, Navy and Air Force an explanation in case this picture is a real one

There was an article on how the hands in pockets was a momentary frame, when he was swinging his hands. As for him wearing chappals (I saw an FB post on that), only macaulites has issues with not wearing shoes in hot climes.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

UAV crashes near Pokhran, no loss of life or property

UAV crashes near Pokhran, no loss of life or property

Vimal Bhatia, | Nov 20, 2015,

JAISALMER: An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Nishant, of the Indian Army crashed after hitting some overhead wires at the Barli village, 7 km away from Pokhran, on Thursday. The UAV had been deployed for the Army's ongoing war exercise. However, there is no information of any loss to human life or properties.

On getting the information, senior officials of the army reached the spot and took the debris of the UAV in a truck. The army has ordered an investigation into the reasons of the crash. About 15 days ago, on November 4, a similar UAV had crashed at Chandan firing range.

According to Raiees Khan, a villager, who was witness to the crash, at around 11 am the UAV collided with high tension overhead wires and fell on the ground. There was a small explosion followed by sound and dust. The villager said he reached the spot and found the UAV lying on the ground. "It was about six-seven feet long and five feet wide. No one was injured in the incident. Soon, some army jawans and officer reached the spot and took away the debris," said Khan.

Senior officials in the army said that Nishant was on a regular flight during the exercise. He said after take off, the UAV developed a technical snag and lost balance, colliding with the electric wires. Nishant was a very old spy plane and was being used both by the Indian Army and Air Force.

Confirming this incident, defence spokesperson Lt Col Manish Ojha said that the UAV belonged to the army and crashed near Pokhran. No damage has been reported at the place.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

vayu tuvan wrote:

Guys,

The photo is perfectly fine.

His hands are in the savdhaan position and he is in perfect step with the commander, though it looks a bit iffy from that particular camera angle like his hands are in his pocket and he is sauntering casually. It's psyops, fair and simple.

This specific photo has been carefully chosen and circulated to malign both parikar and the IA.

He is observing all formalities and military courtesy due for the inspection of the GOH.

chappals?? that's OK too as it is his well known and trademarked style for years. no disrespect intended there.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

^^^ I agree Chetak Ji, unless people expect Def Ministers or Reviewers to slow march like the Services personnel. There is nothing wrong with what Parrikar ji is doing.
ravip
BRFite

Post by ravip »

[youtube]https://youtu.be/sB9zJ2V8W90?t=6[/youtube]

Is this Col. Santosh Mahadik?
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

ravip wrote:Is this Col. Santosh Mahadik?
Its not.

BTW fixed for you.

member_23858
BRFite

Post by member_23858 »

What the A$$hole reporter fails to understand is that Shri Rakshamantri is a Civilian, he can wear a chappal (or Lungi for that matter :roll: , mind you, i have nothing against wearing lungis). He is the raksha mantri of the entire nation, and receives the honor for the entire nation, its not personal. The media is used to having people in delhi, who use the state machinery as their own jagir . And hence the outrage.
BTW, no outrage over this pic!!!
member_23858
BRFite

Post by member_23858 »

hnair wrote:That photo of Shree Parrikar is bogus. Like this hyperventilation by some jackoff, complete with admiration for that Canadian sardar defense minister, "who is diligently studying for Putin", as per shameless canuck media portrayal of his badassery (btw, khan, who is prosecuting the Afghan theatre war, are silent about his awesomeness)

One retired army veteran writes: "Do see how an Indian Sardar, Harjit sajan just appointed Defence Minister of Canada, reviews a parade! Kindly focus on his turn out(compare that to yours)."

One is surprised that the Armed Forces Chiefs have not taken objection to this sort of turnout, which is why it is imperative that the truth be told. You owe the Army, Navy and Air Force an explanation in case this picture is a real one
Harjit Singh Sajjan is an army veteran, and a canadian citizen at that. Not an Indian citizen. An army veteran will ofcourse be better at reviewing military parades as compared to a civilian, wouldnt he? What was the reporter smoking before coming out with this fart.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Indra-2015 drills
Dennis
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dennis »

hnair wrote:That photo of Shree Parrikar is bogus. Like this hyperventilation by some jackoff, complete with admiration for that Canadian sardar defense minister, "who is diligently studying for Putin", as per shameless canuck media portrayal of his badassery (btw, khan, who is prosecuting the Afghan theatre war, are silent about his awesomeness)

There was an article on how the hands in pockets was a momentary frame, when he was swinging his hands. As for him wearing chappals (I saw an FB post on that), only macaulites has issues with not wearing shoes in hot climes.
Also, this very eloquent and comprehensive rebuttal from our own Jagan Pillarisetti.
Article on BR front page
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

rohitvats wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:What is the badge above the Balidaan badge, I cant make it out.
That is the RR Badge worn by those who've served with RR.

Chest badge equivalent of this: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jaganpv ... R.jpg.html
RR symbol on their MPVs as well .... my understanding was that RR does not hold any equipment on its own TOE. So maybe there is a change in that.

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

The officer in the 'Elite Warrior' video is another living legend from the SF community - Col Shekhawat, ex-CO of 21 Para SF. Infact, Col. Mahadik had served under him when he was CO of 21 Para SF.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

martinbaker wrote:

From the BR FRONTPAGE
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/cms/blog/ ... spect.html

If you find people venting about the hands in pocket image on your social media feed, please feel to post the link above as a response..
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jagan is perfectly correct in pointing out something that we do time and time again - reaching judgements about a moving, changing picture from a still image taken that represents a slice of time represents less than 1/100th of a second. Usning this analytical technique you can say that a person was sleeping when standing up when he was blinking or scratching his balls when his hand was simply passing in front of his balls.

But I must pin at least a small part of the blame on photographers who simply must understand the types of comments that arise from still images and based on that knowledge they must look at their own images to see what sort of response they will attract and what will actually get highlighted as opposed to what the photographer thinks he is showing. This is actually fundamental gyan in photography. There is a degree of sophistication achieved by photographers from the US, Russia, China and even Pakistan (which probably employs highly motivated and trained PR people for propaganda photography). Photos and even videos can be made to tell lies, or alternatively they can be made not to mislead and highlight what is important.

In the Parikkar photo a breeze has caught his shirt just as his hand is swinging making the image attract stupid comments. Photo viewers cannot be expected to be kind - it is the photographer and the media editor who need to use their brains and not suffer from brain compression when the sit on their backsides
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Raja Bose wrote:So the son of a tailor leads his unit and sacrifices his life for our nation. The son of a chaiwallah leads our nation. While the privileged sons of b1tches - Rahul Gandhi, Arvind Kejriwal and Mani Shankar Aiyar try their level best to destroy our nation.
I remember when I read about the gallantry award winners in the Kargil war, I was struck by the socio-economic backgrounds many of them came from. Sons of school teachers, postmasters, army NCOs and JCOs - most of them were from lower middle class - just one generation away from rural or urban poor. There were hardly any from upper classes or upper middle class. Today's Indian Army is very very different in the socio-economic background of its officers than the army that the British left us with.

The sons of the civilian elite, or even the senior military officers are not joining the army any more.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

Kakkaji wrote:The sons of the civilian elite, or even the senior military officers are not joining the army any more.
Not necessarily a bad thing, particularly with regard to the first lot.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Gen JJ Singh's grandfather was an NCO in the British Indian Army, he father was a colonel in the EME and he became the C-in-C. His son is now a businessman in France.

Paki FM Ayub Khan's father was also a NCO in the BIA. It is a normal process. In the US these days, no kid from a wealthy family will join the armed forces unlike the glory days of the past where JFK and his brothers ought in WWII. it is kids from broken and poor families joing the armed forces in the hope of getting out of the poverty grinder.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Is the Army an attractive career option again?
Dehradun: The 1.13 million-strong Indian Army, long battling an inability to attract good talent, may have something to cheer about. Of late, quite a few cadets in the elite Indian Military Academy (IMA) have joined the force preferring a career in defence over a high-paying civilian job. Vivek Singh*, for instance worked in an MNC for a few years before deciding to opt for the Army. "My reason for joining was the sense of security in the job. Also, the standard of living in the army is very good, much better than what civilians, even with high pay packets, can expect."

Till about five to 10 years back, the Indian Army was facing a serious exodus of officers taking premature retirement lured by the prospects of high-paying corporate jobs. That seems to have abated a bit. A serving officer, who had also once considered quitting, said that many officers, disillusioned over pay differences with their civilian counterparts, and the tough nature of the job with postings away from family, had started drifting away from the Army.

However, with the sixth pay commission, the problem of pay difference has largely been taken care of. In addition, recognizing the need to attract and retain talent, advertising campaigns launched by the Army as well as outreach programmes in educational institutes also seem to have helped. According to Rajesh Kapoor*, a newly inducted cadet, who was in the corporate sector for three years, the pressure and deadlines in any corporate job, with a fat pay package, does not beat the environment that the armed forces provide. "The deadlines and lack of job security make it very difficult to sustain in the corporate environment for long. Compared to that, the Indian Army is a more feasible option and cadets joining through technical entry can use their expertise even here."

Incidentally, as per numbers made available to TOI, the number of technical entries in IMA were 123 in June 2013 which rose to 160 in the June 2015 intake. This might be a nominal increase but for the Army, fighting a constant battle to gain talent, surely a victory notched.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Aditya G wrote:
RR symbol on their MPVs as well .... my understanding was that RR does not hold any equipment on its own TOE. So maybe there is a change in that.

http://i.imgur.com/7zpwGwI.jpg
What MPV is this?
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Something stink sky high in this pension/ allowance. Babus doing it ?

Yusuf
‏@YusufDFI Yusuf Retweeted Yusuf
Benefits to armed forces abolished, allowance for posting like Siachen capped at 31k while IAS to get 33% of salary Yusuf added,
Yusuf @YusufDFI
It seems the country doesn't need armed forces #7CPC -> http://youtu.be/_mRtsz025is
BharadwajV
BRFite

Post by BharadwajV »

shiv wrote: What MPV is this?
Looks like the BAE Land Systems(Denel) South Africa "Casspir" assembled here by VFJ.
India already operates Casspirs, having bought 165 between 1999 and 2001. They have been extensively used by the Army and paramilitary units, especially in Jammu and Kashmir. Casspirs serve with a number of national armies including South Africa, Djibouti, Indonesia, Namibia and Peru, as well as private firms such as Mechem.
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?o ... Itemid=105
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... -district/

"A Lieutenant Colonel was wounded in a fierce gunfight between militants and Army in Kupwara’s Manigah forests. This is the third gun battle between soldiers and militants in Manigah since Army cordoned off the border village on November 14.
As the soldiers continued their search for the militants, who escaped after killing Colonel Santosh Mahadik in Manigah forests, they intercepted a group of militants on Sunday late afternoon resulting in a gunfight.
While the militants again managed to escape, a Lt Colonel was wounded in the gunfight. The injured Army officer has been identified as Lt Col K S Nath of the Territorial Army.
"
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/ ... 145628.ece
Third Death During Army War Games: Lt Colonel Dies of Cardiac Arrest
NEW DELHI: In a tragic incident, a Lieutenant Colonel of the Indian Army, an expert in handling ammunition, died due of a cardiac arrest while participating in a military training exercise in the desert of Pokhran in Rajasthan. Incidentally, this is third loss of life in the Army during the military exercise within a month.According to defence officials, 39-year-old Ordnance Corps Officer Lt Colonel Pankaj Sharma was to take part in an ongoing military exercise when he suffered a cardiac arrest and passed away on Monday. The Army is making arrangements to airlift his mortal remains to his hometown for last rites. The officer, hailing from Dehradun is survived by his wife, Avantika and a 12-year-old son, defence officials said.“Sharma was a sincere and mature officer and was an expert at handling ammunition,” an officer who served with him, said. Sharma was posted at Secunderabad from where he had come for the military exercise. Before that, he was posted near Lalgarh in Bikaner.Nearly a month ago, a senior Colonel, Vishnu Prasad, 40, died of suspected swine flu at a forward location in the border area. Days before Colonel Prasad’s death, Major Dhruv Yadav, 32, lost his life in an explosion during a firing exercise there.