Chennai floods

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Chennai floods

Post by shiv »

Pardon my starting this thread but it looks pretty bad in Chennai. They received more than a month's rainfall in one day

If people need help to from BRFites (I don't know how we can help) I thought that it os better to start a thread

I start with a Indian navy helpline number and follow with some images

Link to Navy helpline number
https://twitter.com/CaptDKS/status/671852827904335873

shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Chennai floods

Post by shiv »

Chennai airport
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Lot of info here plus updates on twitter #ChennaiFloods.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ChennaiFloods&src=tyah
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

https://twitter.com/ARSNitya/status/671894922249678849
Nithya Nandam Ars
‏@ARSNitya
Guys please share this. I have a house vacant. It can accomodate 20 ppl. #ChennaiFloods #chennairains 9043866774(Royapettah)
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Shiv: thanks for starting this forum!

There is a non-missionary NGO called Bhoomika Trust who is doing really good work. My friend works with them directly and vouches for their quality, selfless service during natural disasters. Including below a form they have put together for people to offer monetary & non-monetary help

Page to Volunteer help: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sR2MiX ... o/viewform

FaceBook page for Rain Relief: https://www.facebook.com/ChennaiRainRelief2015
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

I have seeing tons of Tweets:
- Offering to provide food and accommodation to xx persons in their homes for others.
- Offering to recharge their mobile with currencies.
- Other good services in their capacity to help others.

If SM is just a glimpse, I think good actions on the ground must be x100 or may be more.

Now compare this with USA (Louisiana after Katrina). There is complete law breakdown and humans become beasts.

Bharath indeed is Dharmic, that is why its civilization stood despite many onslaughts.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

^^lets not compare with others please. Let's just do and recollect what we have done.
Leave it to others to sort out their issues.

I hope BRFites in Chennai are ok. My aged parents were there just 3 days ago and managed to leave just in time by good luck more than anything else.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

ANI ‏@ANI_news

Current satellite images of Chennai (source: MeT Dept)

Judging by those satellite images, expect more downpour in TN and AP.
ANI ‏@ANI_news
- INS Airawat departs Vizag to Chennai for rescue ops in flood affected area: CG Raju, Navy PRO (Vizag) to ANI #ChennaiFloods
- INS Airawat equipped with 5 Jamini boats, 20 divers, lot to relief material, will reach Chennai today late eve or tomorrow morning: CG Raju
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Ok
Rains have stopped for the time period since morning.
I think there was nonstop thirty six hours of rain before this morning stoppage.

Now people are stirring out of their houses, to get provisions etc.
But they will again start is what everyone is saying.
Comer
BRF Oldie

Post by Comer »

http://chennairains.org/
It's a crowd sourced resource centre for people offering and requiring help.
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

I managed to flyout yesterday evening before the airport was shut down. The situation is much worse than what is visible on SM. There is practically no drinking water available anywhere in the city. The Corporation water supply has got contaminated with the sewage flow since Monday. Also power supply has been shut down as a precautionary measure across most parts of the city since Monday evening. Road from IIT-M to Siruseri via OMR has caved in at multiple places.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Friends at Vegetable Oil.Co states that some of their offices at Sholinganallur have been flooded. This has forced them to switch of the power supply and DG set as well. Few folks have been actually camping in the office for a day or two as they cannot be evacuated. Read in The Hindu that Centre would be rushing in four companies of NDRF, and I guess Army and the Navy have already been pulled in.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

TV was showing Infoysys office being flooded.

Shiv thanks for the thread. I admonished folks hanging out in nukkad instead of posting here.

Sachin many more NDRF teams each comprising 45 members are being sent.
Tirupati airport is now nerve center for IAF operations for C130s and C17s.

Nellore and Chittor districts in AP are also flooded.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

The rains have restarted after a brief lull of a few hours. Very heavy rains are predicted for today & tomorrow. There is heavy flooding in all the three rivers because Chembarambakkam which was already full is receiving huge inflow from upstream especially from bordering Andhra which is also facing fury. We hope & pray that the four lakes will withstand this onslaught. There are many Chennai corporation workers who are trying to do their best. Hats off to them. My street, which is not prone to flooding had knee-deep water last evening. Milk services are normal, at least in my area. Hats off to those truck drivers and the distributors. MRTS services are running, but Beach-Tambaram, Arakkonam, Gummidipoondi are not. EB power, touch wood, is still available though NLC mines are inundated and 2500 MW power production is hit. God save us.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Chennai Floods: DR, ER, Disaster Management

Post by SaiK »

Inundated posts in nukkad on Chennai Floods means we need a dedicated thread for a problem that will happen in every Indian city sometime near or in the distant future. Let us study Chennai Floods, DR and ER issues, and also discuss what we can proactively do for the future. The solution from this thread can move to Tech forum for disaster management.

--
Please post here instead of nukkad.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Chennai+Fl ... r%5Esearch

----

http://www.newsroompost.com/258599/natu ... y-chennai/
Nature’s fury and memories of tsunami in 21st Century Chennai

--

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 225_1.html
Chennai highlights floods are a man-made urban disaster

Successive governments have failed to address water management problems, leading to sights of boats plying in India's leading auto industry hub

Good Politics is required for proactive designs to prevent man-made disasters.

---

http://www.academia.edu/6500599/Urban_F ... ennai_City
Urban Flood Management – A Case Study Of Chennai City
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Our urban sewage and drainage systems are a disgrace. They are condemned to remain that way until a major overhaul is taken up which means that the systems are set for years instead of doling out desilting contracts year after year- and therein lies the rub.

Chennai residents have my heartfelt sympathy in these trying times. Nature's fury compounded by government insensitivity and callousness has brought us to this situations and its the common folk who end up paying the price once again.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

My sympathies to Chennai residents. Wonder if there is any way to route floodwater into places where it will replenish ground water. For much of the year Chennai and much of TN suffers from water shortage. I hear that California has been experimenting with flooding grape and other orchards and letting the water stand until it seeps in, and the initial results per Scientific America are that the grapes have flourished quite well in pilot tests elsewhere. Indian agriculture naturally depends on rain, but perhaps more should be done now, with so much of the surface taken up with construction. I know, I know... bad thing to be discussing while people are drowning, but that is when the rain water is available..

OTOH, what does this do to the famously fragrant canals of Chennai I wonder - isn't this an opportunity to demand a good cleanup, following the natural flushing? Floodwater is no fun, I know - it leaves a thick layer of gross mud even where it is not 50% sewage. I had the joy of trying to clean out the crawl space below my house in the past few weeks following a VERY MINOR flooding from rain runoff - and I am not even 10% of the way into it, already suffering from dust ingestion despite masks etc. Seems so EZ until one tries it on one's hands and knees in a 3-foot high space using a flashlight ... :((
First iteration of cleanup leaves the concrete floor still with a thick layer of mud...

These "200-year deluges" are becoming more frequent - or more recognized and reported - around the world. So planners and urban managers have to take these into account, and rainwater redirection I hope is part of that.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

It is a micro to a macro infra planning issue. We need a comprehensive solution "STANDARDIZED" for whole of desh. Let Chennai be the lead for that design.

Along with Swacch Bharat, River water inter-linking with turbine-based energy generation, we should consider rain-water harvesting as well as disaster management in preventing floods in any city. The advanced country models are plenty and there is no dearth to designs. What applies for desh is unique considering the problem we have to handle and recover from.

This can be done, and by 2020. It all depends on people demand to GoI, for acting fast on this.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Chennai is not known to have such flooding. One of my relatives reports the water is 12 ft high, they are on the second floor (G+2) and waiting to be rescued.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I seriously doubt if rediff took a recent pic of INS Airavat. It could be vizag shot or elsewhere.

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2015/ ... pdates.htm
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Some more useful SM links:

Info:
https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChennaiRains

For offerring and availing help, please use this:
https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChennaiRainsHelp
http://www.thehindu.com/chennai-rains-help/

Latest status:
- Bridges over rivers are best avoided.
- Saidapet bridge over Adyar is under water
- Chennai airport closed till Dec 6 (or till flood waters recede by draining into the Adyar, which flows near the airport)
- SG has asked companies to declare holiday for the next two days
- A good part of the city is without power as a precautionary measure, since most places have underground cables and the soaking increases the chances of short circuiting
- Some arterial roads are open, PH road and Inner ring road from Vadapalani to PH Road junction at Koyambedu. Buses are running in these stretches.
- BSNL has declared free local calls for this week
- Sathyam theatres, Phoenix mall at Velachery and a few wedding halls have thrown their gates open to accommodate any stranded persons.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

A crowdsourced map of flooded streets: http://osm-in.github.io/flood-map/chennai.html
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Mahesh Kumar ‏@maheshkumarse 9m9 minutes ago

GST Road from Chromepet to Chengalpet via Tambaram is clear & with zero traffic now...

Please spread it for the needy...

#ChennaiRains
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

From Twitter via SSC:
NTL boat Helpline 7708068600
Ola boat 7708068600
Teynampet 9445190009
Alandur 9445190012
Valasaravakkam 9445190011
Kodambakkam 9445190010

Twitter # ChennaiRains
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

No rains for 20 hours, what a relief, wish it stays like this.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SaiK wrote:Image

I seriously doubt if rediff took a recent pic of INS Airavat. It could be vizag shot or elsewhere.

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2015/ ... pdates.htm

clean beach and calm waters??

It's not even anywhere near chennai.

old photo, for sure
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Anna Salai @Saidapet, over the Adyar river. No wonder the airport is flooded, since it is upstream.

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

These buses may look crappy, but they sure as hell don't give up. Kudos to the brave crew who are ferrying people to safety.
Source: SSC
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

How very considerate
Amrithaa S Punjabi ‏@aspunjabi 3m3 minutes ago

Chennai airport authorities are asking us to leave the departure lounge in the middle of the night..go where? #chennairainshelp @moca_goi
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Aditya_V wrote:No rains for 20 hours, what a relief, wish it stays like this.
Looks like there is going to be a respite..

From IMD Chennai:
India Meteorological Department

NOWCAST FOR CHENNAI

DATE OF ISSUE : 02 12 2015
TIME OF ISSUE : 2330 HOURS IST
VALID FOR 06 HOURS

FROM 2330 HOURS IST
TO 0530 HOURS IST OF 03.12.2015

TEMPERATURE 24-23 ºCelsius
WIND DIRECTION Northwesterly.
WIND SPEED 04-06 KMPH
WEATHER
The sky condition would be generally cloudy. Rain or thundershowers would occur, heavy at times.
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING Nil
NEXT UPDATE AT 0530 HOURS IST OF 03.12.2015.

http://www.imdchennai.gov.in/nowcast.htm
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

linking the google maps here to get some perspective of the various rivers and lakes.

SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

arshyam wrote:Anna Salai @Saidapet, over the Adyar river. No wonder the airport is flooded, since it is upstream.

Unbelievable. The water must be atleast 30 to 40 feet above usual flow level.

The airport will be cut off from Saidapet and further down along Mount Road area.
I hear S.P. Road is also severely damaged.
How is the Kotturpuram bridge? Adayar bridge?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

UlanBatori wrote:My sympathies to Chennai residents. Wonder if there is any way to route floodwater into places where it will replenish ground water. For much of the year Chennai and much of TN suffers from water shortage. I hear that California has been experimenting with flooding grape and other orchards and letting the water stand until it seeps in, and the initial results per Scientific America are that the grapes have flourished quite well in pilot tests elsewhere. Indian agriculture naturally depends on rain, but perhaps more should be done now, with so much of the surface taken up with construction. I know, I know... bad thing to be discussing while people are drowning, but that is when the rain water is available..

OTOH, what does this do to the famously fragrant canals of Chennai I wonder - isn't this an opportunity to demand a good cleanup, following the natural flushing? Floodwater is no fun, I know - it leaves a thick layer of gross mud even where it is not 50% sewage. I had the joy of trying to clean out the crawl space below my house in the past few weeks following a VERY MINOR flooding from rain runoff - and I am not even 10% of the way into it, already suffering from dust ingestion despite masks etc. Seems so EZ until one tries it on one's hands and knees in a 3-foot high space using a flashlight ... :((
First iteration of cleanup leaves the concrete floor still with a thick layer of mud...

These "200-year deluges" are becoming more frequent - or more recognized and reported - around the world. So planners and urban managers have to take these into account, and rainwater redirection I hope is part of that.
Ulan Batoriji - this topic is close to the heart of any non profit seeking non governmental non landmafia person in any Indian city

"Borewell recharging" or "rainwater harvesting" is a demand made of residents of plots exceeding certain area in Bengaluru, Kerala. The former consists of channeling all rainwater into a kiler pit that needs to be at least 30 feet deep - going through the subsoil rock into the "real" subsoil water region. Of course sham holes can be dug of lesser depth. Rain water harvesting is a way by which the city corporation can blame residents for flooding. It is a useless exercise for small plots. Pipes get clogged by leaves and overflow with the first rains and stagnant water after the last rain breeds mosquitoes.

The real issue is the the city corporation, development and state govt officials of cities like bengaluru and chennai for decades have lined their pockets by encroaching on water bodies and water channels in the form of selling that land to developers.

For example Bengaluru had something like 200 lakes - which are saucer shaped depressions in the ground with little channels ("rivers that run only in the rainy season") that connected up the lakes - so that rainwater first fills the lakes and the channels allow overflow into a more distant lake. In the dry season the lakes maintain the grounddwater levels.

What they have done in Bengaluru (and Chennai, I am told) is to sell the lake beds for building and "development" and once the lake bed is built over the channels are permanently dry and they can be built over as well. Everyone in the city knows this, but no one has taken the trouble to inform the rainclouds and the water of this little inconvenient fact. The rain continues to collect in the saucer shaped depressions - and floods the buildings there up to several feet. the overflow water - having nowhere else to flow, flows on the roads. Meanwhile the population, having suddenly been exposed to the joys of plastic wrapping on everything simply dump the plastic on local dumps. Those dumps get washed into drains and drains if any, get clogged. Thus we get the modern Indian city. Of course I hear that this same model is followed in cities across the world - but that does not concern me.

Bengaluru actually has thriving (and some upmarket) residential locations like "CT bed. CT bed sounds so cute for the techie who has moved in from outside Bengaluru and paid 2 crore for a flat. CT bed is actually "ChennammaneKere Tank Bed" 'Chennamma's lake bed". There are dozens of localities built on lakes in Bangalore and Chennai. The local government bodies who know no planning and who have made loads of money have simply allowed this construction to occur and those areas become lakes once again. There is no easy short term solution. Removal of the corrupt builder-government nexus is necessary, but it is easier said than done
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

IAF role in floods and natural disasters. Sadly I have no material on what the navy is doing - the navy is also rendering yeoman service in Chennai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj7IU1a4EMw
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Heard on HF Net that:-
1. Mobile towers are dying out because of no power and batteries draining out.
2. More than death it is more of people getting stranded. But around 197 casualties still there.
3. Transport badly hit.
4. Police VHF radio network fully active, so "official communication" channels is working fine. They have close coordination with disaster management teams as well.