Chennai floods

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Re: Chennai floods

Post by vina »

our honable KA home minister has just proposed a soln to the traffic mess. underground ring and radial roads (!) some american co has fed him this daft idea. never mind they are struggling to tunnel a few km for the metro , he will use romulan tech to construct 100s of km of tunnel roads
These clowns are idiotic beyond belief . The entire Neta/Babu/Judge/Pandu idiocy is fully in display in building the metro rail system. They should have first built out the periphery (Peenya- Mysore Road- Banashankari, Jayanagar, to Whitefeild- to Hebbal), with a spur going to Electronics city. That would have taken the overwhelming bulk of Bangalore's commuting pain out and then they could have built the difficult spokes going inwards to the city centre.

But no , the clerks, babus, and other critters going to Appish in Vidhan Soudha, high court, corporation need a "metro" and an underground one at that and the unusable patchwork gets built and can barely be used , until the underground sections are built.

WTF should the stretch in front of Vidhana Soudha go underground , why not build that entire thing overground, especially all the way to City Market and Majestic ? You just need to strategically knock a few buildings and encroachments over. No.. The Baboons and Polticos NEED the underground section and shaft the people who need to metro most (the office going , tax paying, working in suburbs crowd) for the tax mooching Babu/Govt monkeys to build some half baked useless stuff.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Is this a Chennai flood thread, meanwhile Colvin is overflowing in Egmore and Nungambakkam
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Well. Caught in the rains of the century. Flew in when there was respite. Now it is constantly raining.Good to see people helping each others. Problem is that the arterial roads are also flooded besides lowlying colonies all around. Even airport and rail station are shut. Need to fly out on 7th to foggy landing Delhi. Currently eye of the system is slowly moving over Puducherry and Chennai hencesome respite. Will rain for next two days after eye has moved inland. Hoping by Monday things would be better.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Rains is picking up now. Time to stay put .
It is an irony that Chennai is flooded despite being acoastalcity with two rivers ,a canal and a series of lakes in surrounding areas. If only these were not encroached and built upon in the name of. Development
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Vasu ‏@vasudevan_k

This is the pallavaram flyover picture released by IAF. If does not shock us nothing will. #chennairains
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

chaanakya wrote:Rains is picking up now. Time to stay put .
It is an irony that Chennai is flooded despite being acoastalcity with two rivers ,a canal and a series of lakes in surrounding areas. If only these were not encroached and built upon in the name of. Development
Development or Vikas is not the problem here. It is in the hows? how do you divert drains, storm water and flood control techniques in design, inter-connecting of lake overflows to rivers, diversion of rivers and inter-linking of them, etc.

we need a comprehensive plan, design and implementation for the whole desh. Chennai now becomes a design study.

what to do is business agenda.. and what not to do must be the gov/public concern agenda... and what must be done for the disaster management is extremely challenging given the infra complexity arising out of don't care attitude of previous governance and design models.
Last edited by SaiK on 03 Dec 2015 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Gautam Trivedi
‏@Gotham3
Snake trying to stay alive during Floods at Chennai by climbing on top of a statue of God.

RETWEETS 105 LIKES 66

8:39 AM - 1 Dec 2015
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^guindy snake park may be informed before it dies
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Huge relief efforts from ord. citizens.Huhe halls full of boxes of relief supplies being sent,all smarkets full of folks buying stuff for Chennai.The best things to buy are condensed milk,powdered milk,ready to eat meals (like BLR's famous MTR brand),some rice pkts-if some can cook,biscuits,snack food,umpteen cases of min water was seen,sheets.There are also junior Horlicks pkts,useful for kids.These are the basics,one can add extras.

Talking to a close pal who is in an unaffected area,this time round the principal reservoirs of the city surplussed,an extremely rare opccasion,as Madras was linked to Andhra for surplus Krishna water some time ago.The surplus water was then fed into the already bursting rivers of the city and this has done the max. damage! It is incredible that no scheme was put in place to take surplussing water into other tanks outside the city or to construct new tanks/pipelines for the same to either store water or aloe it to flow back to the sea.

What about the deer in the Guindy Park? Are they safe? They can always take refuge in adjoining Raj Bhavan.However,I understand that now there is a great wall preventing anyone from intruding into the great Gov's palace from the forest .IIT Madras must be flooded to the gills.It was built on an old swamp and river bed than fed into the Adyar River,long gone,where the flats for slum dwellers are yet again marooned.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SaiK wrote:
chaanakya wrote:Rains is picking up now. Time to stay put .
Development or Vikas is not the problem here. It is in the hows? how do you divert drains, storm water and flood control techniques in design, inter-connecting of lake overflows to rivers, diversion of rivers and inter-linking of them, etc.

we need a comprehensive plan, design and implementation for the whole desh. Chennai now becomes a design study.

what to do is business agenda.. and what not to do must be the gov/public concern agenda... and what must be done for the disaster management is extremely challenging given the infra complexity arising out of don't care attitude of previous governance and design models.

whatever you do, Bombay always floods in moderate to severe monsoons, also due to high tide. So it is in chennai when water levels will rise quickly when the tide comes in as the flood waters have no way to flow out.

i suspect the the high tide phenomena is not much understood there by the chennai aam aaadmi because they have not been repeatedly flooded like bombay and every aam aadmi in bombay is very aware and clued up about the tide timings. It determines when he steps out and when he stays put.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

kmkraoind wrote:
Vasu ‏@vasudevan_k

This is the pallavaram flyover picture released by IAF. If does not shock us nothing will. #chennairains
you also need the original sunny day pallavaram flyover picture to actually see and appreciate the extent of the flooding

SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

chetak wrote:
Vasu ‏@vasudevan_k

That must be atleast 20 to 30 feet of water.

Is this the location of Pallavaram flyover? It seems to be about 4 kilometers from the airport (east and slightly north of floyover). https://www.google.com/maps/place/Palla ... 560d8a9f60

Where is this water from? Adayar river is about 3-4 km away and there is a lake about 1 km away.

THe same map shows Adayar river going right through airport runway. If Adayar river floods, I would think water will come on the runway, and wont recede until Adayar recedes.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

from mem of my childhood some enclosures in guindy snake park were open aid. plus water has flushed them from burrows to limited dry land.

time to be mindful IMO.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Regarding Pallavaram flyover, there are no previous aerial shots for comparison, but looked at Google maps. Now I am judging somewhat the true damage. It means, all movable wealth (furniture, electronic items, clothes, utensils etc) of many Chennaities has gone. This flood is hitting is very hard on lives of lower middle and poor people :(.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

from @harbans RT->@Erroor pics

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

chetak wrote:
whatever you do, Bombay always floods in moderate to severe monsoons, also due to high tide. So it is in chennai when water levels will rise quickly when the tide comes in as the flood waters have no way to flow out.

i suspect the the high tide phenomena is not much understood there by the chennai aam aaadmi because they have not been repeatedly flooded like bombay and every aam aadmi in bombay is very aware and clued up about the tide timings. It determines when he steps out and when he stays put.
A few years ago - Mumbai had 100 cm of rainfall in 3 days (Chennai had 27 cm in a day I think). Mumbai flooding news became so "normal" that I don't think it even came up as a separate thread. Negligent, yes, but Mumbai has its own ways of getting in the news.

When I was a student in Pondicherry early 70s there was a similar episode that hit Pondy and the area south. We were walking against the cyclone wind on the beach at a 45 deg angle. For fun. Talk of no other work. My father would have died 20 years early if he had known. Roads washed away and could barely make it to Chennai to catch a train home.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

This is pallavaram flyover in question. In happier times.shiv aroor has given another picture with side by side comparison.

Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Vasu ‏@vasudevan_k

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is not Pallavaram flyover but rather the picture of outer ring road that passes a few kms west of the airport. There is one flyover in Pallavaram, rather an over bridge and there are two others before and after Pallavaram which is nothing like the one in the picture. I have lived most of my life in this area and is part of my daily commute. The outer ring road is still being built. The area is one of the worst affected by overflowing water from Chembarambakkam and Thiruneermalai discharge. You can spot this road when u are landing in Chennai from the south west direction.

Though Chennai Nungambakkam recorded 27 cms the suburbs recorded 47 cms in a day. Kattan kulathur had 47 cms and Chembarambakkam 42 cms. The 42 cms of rain in a single day was over an overfilled lake in Chembarambakkam, which was already discharging into Adyar river. This resulted in flooding of Adyar river which in turn flooded a city battered by flash floods.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Singha wrote:from mem of my childhood some enclosures in guindy snake park were open aid. plus water has flushed them from burrows to limited dry land.

time to be mindful IMO.
we faced a very similar situation in vizag many decades ago with many hundreds of snakes in the water and a couple of hundred of my men trying to get the aircraft to the safety of relatively higher ground. After some initial fear and hesitation we simply ignored the snakes, many of which made contact with us, unintentionally, in the flowing waters. There was not a single incident of snake bite. The poor critters were very focused and intent on going their way and finding refuge.

after this surreal encounter, for the duration of the rest of my tenure, not a single snake was harmed or killed. Otherwise, I was constantly after the guys not to harm them. The snakes loved to sun themselves on the hot tarmac and many would venture there and curl up soaking up the heat peacefully, invigorating themselves for the hunt for breakfast or lunch. They all very cooperative and slithered away quietly when we came to work on the tarmac.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Sridhar K wrote: Though Chennai Nungambakkam recorded 27 cms the suburbs recorded 47 cms in a day. Kattan kulathur had 47 cms and Chembarambakkam 42 cms. The 42 cms of rain in a single day was over an overfilled lake in Chembarambakkam, which was already discharging into Adyar river. This resulted in flooding of Adyar river which in turn flooded a city battered by flash floods.
I think Mumbai got 1 meter in 3 days so 40+ cm for a day in Chennai is higher. Heck 5 cm in a day feels like you're going to drown.

No city can seriously cope with such rainfall, but having the right topography probably helps. Not sure how Mumbai and Chennai compare in that sense.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Latest satellite image from imd indicates that system is dissipating. I hope weather is cleared soon.

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Sridhar K wrote:
Vasu ‏@vasudevan_k

[/quote]

This is not Pallavaram flyover but rather the picture of outer ring road that passes a few kms west of the airport. There is one flyover in Pallavaram, rather an over bridge and there are two others before and after Pallavaram which is nothing like the one in the picture. I have lived most of my life in this area and is part of my daily commute. The outer ring road is still being built. The area is one of the worst affected by overflowing water from Chembarambakkam and Thiruneermalai discharge. You can spot this road when u are landing in Chennai from the south west direction.

Though Chennai Nungambakkam recorded 27 cms the suburbs recorded 47 cms in a day. Kattan kulathur had 47 cms and Chembarambakkam 42 cms. The 42 cms of rain in a single day was over an overfilled lake in Chembarambakkam, which was already discharging into Adyar river. This resulted in flooding of Adyar river which in turn flooded a city battered by flash floods.[/quote]

Sridhar K ji,

I am sure that you are right. Some eff up seems to have occurred. Can you please post the pictures that you have mentioned.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

The amount of SM activity of people helping strangers is astounding. Doctors doing free services by going to people etc. many friends of mine are organizing at local level - food making and delivery. Just saw another friend being rescued on live TV. My own home is probably flooded, tenant not picking phone.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ That's definitely not Pallavaram, but the outer ring road, quite far from it. There is not much habitation around that road yet, as it is newly built and planned far away from existing pockets.

There are no similar pics in drier times, unless the IAF has some, since it is an aerial shot. From the ground level, there are a few pics of the road in general, but cannot be sure whether they are of the same location as that flooded pic above. I am posting them anyway to give an idea of the geography.

Source

Source

This is the Pallavaram flyover, as you can see, the lampposts are different. Plus the Pallavaram flyover is a rotary junction at the top, so vehicles can take a turn toward Thoraipakkam/Velachery (link to Google satellite map). The ORR pic however, shows two straight carriageways, since the highway goes above a local road, which is definitely flooded. The middle space between the flyovers is the 20 metre open space reserved for a future public transport corridor (MRTS/BRTS).

Request mods to help re-size the above image, since I am not able to. I posted them inline on purpose, since people seem to be shocked by this instance thinking it is a highly populated area. It is not. Please feel free to delete this bolded portion after re-sizing.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Chetakji
Would love to but on a iffy mobile connection from Chennai. It times out 4 times before I manage to post.

Just Google for Chennai Outer ring road pictures
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

williams wrote:Govt need to build 4 or 5 storm water channels around the city. The channels can eventually drain into the sea. It is a simple common sense work city PWD can undertake to stop this kind of disaster in future. That said, it is great to see the people working together calmly to help each other.
It's not so simple. True, the natural channels are blocked by silt, encroachments and etc., and lakes built up over, or shrunk in size, leading to less water retention capacity. But that's not all. There have been storm water drains built in various places to alleviate flooding, and they have worked to an extent. For instance, Velachery has a 6 feet wide drain to take excess water away from the locality, into the Pallikaranai marsh. This has helped to an extent in the past few years. This past month, though, this drain has been draining to full capacity, but the quantum of water is so much that it cannot drain fast enough. Hence the flooding visuals we see about Velachery. But even this month, unlike in years past when this drain wasn't there, the water was drained off in a day or two, and areas notorious for flooding within Velachery were back to normal. Another example the baby channel built in the Cooum as part of its cleaning. Due to this, areas like Anna Nagar and Mogappair didn't experience prolonged flooding, and the water drained relatively quickly.

The same problem repeats now, with a twist though. The Pallikaranai marsh is full, and it's own drain to the ocean goes through the Buckingham canal, which also is full. So this time around, the water won't drain as fast simply due to lack of space. The quantum of rain we got this month is unbelievable, and so flooding will happen. Look at the stats: on Tue alone, Chennai received 27.5 cm of rain. Heck, suburbs like Tambaram received 49 cm of rain on Tuesday, which is on top of the earlier spells of rain, which cumulatively totaled 108.8 cm in Nov, the normal average being only 40cm for the entire month! The entire month of Dec gets only 19 cm usually, and that was exceeded in a single day, with more to come. There is only so much we can do against nature's fury.

Heavy rain events happen once in a decade, and some flooding happens. But this time around is a once in a century event. We may not be able to prevent them fully, but at least ensure that the water drains off soon. This past month, for all their faults, the city admin had ensured that - they proactively acted upon standing pools of water and even broke up roads to drain the water. The reason? Preventing outbreak of water borne diseases, especially dengue. It is a testament to their effort that no outbreak happened in the past month. Could they have done better? Of course, but they did try their best.

In general, one cannot build structures optimised for once in a century events.

Having said that, a few things can be done to improve things. Clear all existing waterways and desilt their mouths regularly. This includes the Cooum, Kosathaliyar, Adyar, and the Buckingham canal. Then expedite the canal works from the Pallikaranai marsh direct to the sea, instead of letting it drain to the Buckingham canal as it currently does. That will add a good amount of capacity. Unfortunately, the SG didn't implement this project for some reason, and the CAG rapped them for this last week. Mark out flood plains and stop notifying layouts here. The city has lots of room to expand, use the interiors for planned layouts that are not on flood plains. The well planned radial roads here ensure good traffic movement, so these layouts will be attractive to prospective buyers. Relocate all garbage dumps away from flood plains. The Thoraipakkam one itself is causing most of the problems. Lastly, stop dumping the damn sewage into the rivers - the biggest cuplrits in this are the govt agencies themselves. Idiots.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Arshyam
Good posts. The civic authorities, police deserve a huge thank you. Areas that were flooded were clear ed up in no time in some of the suburbs by cutting of canals, roads and dividers to make the water flow. EB was working overtime to restore power in areas where there is no water logging. Some areas they were using earth movers to move people to safety. Heard that my office in DLF IT park got flooded in the basement. The 3 level basement held so much water that it saved those neighboring areas some impact. It seems DLF did not plan for drainage in the basement but that major flaw helped retain a lot of water. Lots of cars in L & T were floating on the road.

We are with power but no fuel, arms out of cash no milk but there is power outage in large parts of Chennai now. Mobile networks are jammed but things are improving
My office in DLF
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

seems like two more cyclones inbound in a line to Sumatra
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

What is the scene in the hospitals, especially MIOT? Is it flooded ? Can it be approached at all ? I know someone who was in the ICU there when the deluge happened and when one hears about stuff like doctors and staff abandoning the hospitals , that is cause for concern.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

mobile networks needs to be powered on ASAP.
Prevention of water bourne epidemics is the next concern

----. ........

011-1078
Chennai helpline is 1078 NDMA
ndmacontrolroom@gmail.com
tn04-ndrf@nic.in
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... w/htmlview

Chennai doctors, hospital and medications google doc
Last edited by SaiK on 03 Dec 2015 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

vina wrote:What is the scene in the hospitals, especially MIOT? Is it flooded ? Can it be approached at all ? I know someone who was in the ICU there when the deluge happened and when one hears about stuff like doctors and staff abandoning the hospitals , that is cause for concern.
The entire area was flooded and MIOT is very close to the river. There was so much news about rescue in and around MIOT. Saw on facebook thatt patients were being shifted.. Similars scene at Global Hospital
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Sridhar K wrote:The entire area was flooded and MIOT is very close to the river. There was so much news about rescue in and around MIOT. Saw on facebook thatt patients were being shifted.. Similars scene at Global Hospital
Yes, it is on the banks of the Adayar river off Poonamallee High Road. Good to hear about the rescue. No news from anyone in Chennai, except a facebook "safe" update by friends. I guess phones are down (both mobile and land lines), and many have phones turned off to conserve charge in the battery for emergencies.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Shiv thanks for starting this thread. Couple of times I started a new thread on this topic and erased it - collected pictures just like the election thread. I kind of wanted to see at what point would this issue capture the nation's heart. For some reason the takleef of millions seem to have been brushed aside.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Navy rescuing people.

Picture from Dec 2nd.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

One of my friends and his family and neighbors got rescued this morning after spending the last few days in the upper floor of his apt. complex. Ground floor was flooded, no electricity, no fresh water, 15 people and a dog in the first floor. He was making posts every few hours trying to get someone to send a boat and their phones were all running low. Rescue boats in his area were non-existent, because they seem to have their hands full in other parts of the city (he's in the Pallikaranai area). Finally, his friend from primary school and another guy managed to get some rescuers sent their way. As he posted later, it wasn't the police, army, navy or fire department that came to their aid, but some local fishermen in two private boats, which came all the way from Marina beach!

He says water is about 8 feet deep in the Balaji dental college area. One boat dropped them off in a small dry area and went back to pick up more residents, while the other boat carried the elderly, mothers and children further on. The rest walked onwards in waist deep water until they got to a larger dry area, from which everyone took vehicles (tempo, auto etc.) to their final destinations.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

some kind of crowdsourced map showing inundated areas

http://osm-in.github.io/flood-map/chenn ... 00/80.2000
kish
BRFite

Post by kish »

Oh God!! It started raining again in sub-urban chennai
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Unbelievable height of water in some places.