Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SSundar
BRFite

Re: Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

Post by SSundar »

Gurus, does anyone have any news on new greenfield airport approvals and the general trends towards reform of Airport Management in desh? It seems nothing has happened on this front since Delhi and Mumbai were privatized umpteen years ago.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

^^^ SSundar, the last news-item I have is:
xpost: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 4#p1948082
Singapore's Changi Airport Group will soon start managing Ahmedabad and Jaipur airports, opening up airport management operations for a foreign player for the first time in the country.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

ManjaM wrote: The performance of Hansa-3 is suboptimal. It has an empty weight of 550kgs and an all up weight of 750kgs.

I am not sure what advantage has been gleaned by making it out of composites, because every performance aspect of this airplane is sub par compared to Aluminum counterparts such as the Piper Tomahawk or Cessna 152.
Manja saar, very astute observation about Hansa-3. Structurally i.e. weight, it is not competitive at all even with an all composite construction. Can't share some info on open forums but I have witnessed/heard certain things which prove your observation i.e. how over designed Hansa-3 actually is.

I heard NAL was aiming for an empty weight for Hansa-3 at around 450Kgs, but like many of our programs, it ended up being way heavier. I think the future of Hansa is uncertain. As of now, NAL is "busy" with Saras & AMCA.

Saar, if you can share any evidence/sources about trainer/GA/sports market studies in India, it would be of immense help.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

I fly Air Parasite SYD-DEL-BLR on Tuesday. My normal QF was 3 times Air Parasite's fare.
Its the first time I will be flying the Maharaja on a long haul route. Have heard the Dreamliner is good on this sector but still nervous about delays, bad service and the usual 'bh*nch**d' type gaalis SDRE's use loudly and freely on this sector. Fingers crossed :-)
SSundar
BRFite

Post by SSundar »

A_Gupta wrote:^^^ SSundar, the last news-item I have is:
Singapore's Changi Airport Group will soon start managing Ahmedabad and Jaipur airports, opening up airport management operations for a foreign player for the first time in the country.
Thanks A_Gupta. The fact that both are BJP states increases my concern - there appears to no longer be a national will to privatize our airports. Sounds like some sort of compromise between the AAI and GOI.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Am I the only one willing to fly AI. I am still waiting for their service to resume with flights out of WAS (IAD) to India. Even if a non-stop is not feasible they could route it via Heathrow and I am pretty sure the London-DC segment will also be at full capacity. Wonder why there is so little interest on part of AI. They now fly to all major cities (NY, NJ, Chicago, SFO, LA) here except the capital city.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

you brave people trying AI

Friends neice came in yesterday via Air India
:eek:
250 bags did not get loaded - No news yet from local office in EWR
Voicemail full - no one picks up phone

Finally relatives call up Mumbai and yell and scream
Told bags will be sent on 21st!! -
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

wow they just offloaded bags to make the take off weight
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... s?from=mdr

still no news on the bag front - -
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SSundar wrote:
{quote="A_Gupta"}^^^ SSundar, the last news-item I have is:
Singapore's Changi Airport Group will soon start managing Ahmedabad and Jaipur airports, opening up airport management operations for a foreign player for the first time in the country.{/quote}
Thanks A_Gupta. The fact that both are BJP states increases my concern - there appears to no longer be a national will to privatize our airports. Sounds like some sort of compromise between the AAI and GOI.

privatization is a bad word for the pampered unions whereas "airport management operations" does not put their backs up. Several "leaders" at these airports have been paid off per airline gossip which is very often true..

A few pampered unionized employees are thoroughly buggering up the labor reforms as well as the labor market across the nation. The vast majority of Indian labor is non unionized as well as unorganized.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

And then a pilot redeems Air India for a day, by doing this:

Too late: Air India pilot refuses to let Kerala governor board flight
An Air India pilot refused to allow Kerala governor P Sathasivam to board a Kochi-Thiruvananthapuram flight on Tuesday after he allegedly turned up late.

The governor’s office said he reached the airport at least 10 minutes before the flight was scheduled to depart at 10.40 pm from Kochi airport but the pilot bluntly told Sathasivam that he couldn’t be accommodated on the plane as passenger boarding was already over.

Officials accompanying the governor tried to intervene but the pilot didn’t budge, forcing Sathasivam to spend night at the state guest house in Kochi. He took a morning flight and reached Thiruvananthapuram on Wednesday. The governor’s office said it has lodged a complaint with Air India and Aviation Ministry. :evil: AI officials are yet to respond to the incident.

The AI 408 flight was scheduled to take off at 9.15 pm but was delayed till 10.45 pm. As per the changed schedule, the governor reached the airport 10 minutes before the departure. However, airport authorities later said the flight took off even before the governor reached the airport.

Earlier this year, Union minister Kiren Rijiju was embroiled in a controversy after allegations that a family was ordered off a domestic flight so that he and his staff could have a seat. The flight was also reportedly delayed.
Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis was also criticised for allegedly delaying a flight carrying 250 passengers because a member of his staff mixed up travel documents.
KLP Dubey
BRFite

Post by KLP Dubey »

hnair wrote:And then a pilot redeems Air India for a day, by doing this:

Too late: Air India pilot refuses to let Kerala governor board flight
I distinctly remember the night I went to the TVM goshala (a.k.a. old domestic terminal) to pick up my wife who was traveling on this same goddamned AI DEL-COK-TVM hopping flight. Waited till 1:30 AM and the plane was still sitting in COK waiting for two KL poltoo mofos (commies or Congis, don't remember which) to board the plane. Finally landed in TVM 2:10 AM (about 4 hours late) and these two a-holes were first off the plane and merrily chatting away.

But, AI delays have saved my skin on another occasion....once I was stuck in a horrendous traffic jam in LKO with no hope of making it in time to catch an AI LKO-DEL flight. Called the airline from the car to try and rebook on a later flight, but was told not to worry since the plane wasn't going anywhere till some SC judge (who was also stuck in the same traffic jam behind us) made it to the airport. :P

The quirks of putting up with the NBJPRIE...a strange lot indeed. I haven't flown AI since mid-2012 and hopefully never will.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Need the iron-hand of NaMo to ensure that the flights wait for none.

NiKu did a similar admirable job on Bihar law and order situation in the past.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

how much can one man enforce - his workload is already worse than superman + batman + justice league. everytime some goon puts his hand on someone and our pathetic low level govt or laws fail, the call goes out "where is batman er namo....why is not instantly there to enforce justice"

unless people themselves make efforts to fix the low and medium level things, gotham does not deserve the Dark Knight.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/h ... 025655.ece
HAL all set to pilot civil plane
The dream ‘Indian regional passenger plane’ has taken a new turn: its 60/80-seater avatar may now be piloted by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), with some help from Indian and foreign aircraft majors.

The earlier plan to steer it as a joint venture of HAL and the CSIR’s National Aerospace Labs (NAL) looks as good as shelved. HAL plans to develop it on its own as a prestigious “brand India” aircraft; or may pull global plane majors such as Boeing, Airbus or Embraer as well as Indian companies into a consortium as risk-sharing partners.

“We could not form the SPV [a 50:50 special purpose vehicle or company] with NAL due to certain reasons from NAL. It stopped there. Now we are looking at two options: make our own `brand India' aircraft or co-produce a regional transport aircraft (RTA)” suited to travel within the country, said T. Suvarna Raju, CMD of HAL, here on Wednesday.

“We are still deliberating the issue and are yet to take it up in the board,” he said addressing a news conference during an event to mark 75 years of the company.

Along with the multi-purpose helicopter ALH, a passenger plane, he said, forms an important aspect of HAL’s venture into civil space. Last year, it had invited proposals from engine manufacturers ahead of designing an aircraft around a suitable engine. The project to design and build flying prototypes, Mr. Raju said, was estimated to cost around Rs. 7,000 crore and would need all the funds it could garner.

Market surveys indicate that the country may need 200 aircraft in the 70-seater class over the next five years.
SSundar
BRFite

Post by SSundar »

^^^ It would be great to introduce competition into the mix in the form of a private consortium also building a similar plane. The government would do well to facilitate such a consortium and support the venture via a tax break. Europe and US do it all the time.
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

Singha wrote:how much can one man enforce - his workload is already worse than superman + batman + justice league. everytime some goon puts his hand on someone and our pathetic low level govt or laws fail, the call goes out "where is batman er namo....why is not instantly there to enforce justice"

unless people themselves make efforts to fix the low and medium level things, gotham does not deserve the Dark Knight.
Figure of speech Singha ji.

A public proclamation from him that "I have instructed G Raju to ensure that no AI flights wait for anyone anymore, however important he or she is" will do wonders. He need not be physically present in the boarding gate to enforce the same. Right now, waiting is "the normal"; all he need to do is clearly state that to be unacceptable from now on.

It is all about setting the framework. Same as the Babu attendence system. NiKu did not exactly rode on police jeep every night.

And NaMo need to do the saying, not a lightweight G Raju; simply because some of his cabinet collegues will otherwise will try to reach the top man to override.
SSundar
BRFite

Post by SSundar »

Speaking of G. Raju, the man has been quite invisible. What gives? The last public announcement I remember from him was naming the Hyderabad airport after NTR.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Picklu wrote:Figure of speech Singha ji.

A public proclamation from him that "I have instructed G Raju to ensure that no AI flights wait for anyone anymore, however important he or she is" will do wonders.
No it won't. And there are a million other things where people will demand the same . On the list of "Important Things To Fix", ensuring an aircraft does not wait for a VVIP is maybe #2732782378262 right now.
ManjaM
BRFite

Post by ManjaM »

Picklu wrote:Need the iron-hand of NaMo to ensure that the flights wait for none.

NiKu did a similar admirable job on Bihar law and order situation in the past.
:eek: Good god! Everyone just needs to do their damn job. Is Modi the only person working in this country? The pilot in command refused to wait. That's the end of that. If AI wants to throw the PIC under the bus, the pilots union is there to represent him.
These demand for Modi to " do something" on everything borders on the ridiculous. This particular demand for Modi "to ensure that flights wait for none" is outright idiotic.
Noise complaint in the neighborhood, Modi haalpp! Just for good measure lets tweet Suresh Prabhu too.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

full 5 days later bags arrive

guess one should be thankful that they at least arrived
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

AI to serve hot veg meals again even on short haul flights. No wonder I like AI, though I have not used it in a long time.

Meanwhile, got my X'mas gift the cheapest fare ever I flew to India. $920+ in early Feb. For metros it is even cheaper $799 ! What is happening ? When oil was $20 a barrel more than a decade ago, fares were still high almost double this. I am not complaining...
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

thats the problem IMO

they need to stop these dirt cheap fares, up it a bit, reduce bags to global normal (1- 23 kg) and focus on improved customer service
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Surya wrote:thats the problem IMO

they need to stop these dirt cheap fares, up it a bit, reduce bags to global normal (1- 23 kg) and focus on improved customer service
and end up losing a major chunk of passengers to Air China, China Southern and China Eastern, who as it is provide lower fares.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

its a death spiral in current mode - only not reaching bottom thanks to Govermund largesse
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Right now the Arabs govts are providing the back-stop. Enjoy the spoils while it lasts !
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Emirates, qatar and BA let you fly with 2 checked bags usa-india. I thought it was the cheapskate american airliners who do 1 bag?
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

I will have a 6 hr layover in Doobai in one leg, that is the only down side. I do not think I can get out, visa itself is more than $50 and the trouble of getting it all done...though I have cousins to visit if needed. Last i was in that airport was like 10 yrs back, and even then it was like in a fish market. So I had avoided it since...but for cheap fares I can take any amount of abuse.
Kannan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kannan »

ManjaM wrote:It is very disheartening to note that even the organisations such as AOPA India (Airplane Owners and Pilots Assocn), have little to no interest in advocating for the General Aviation sector! Most of their leadership in India is based outside of India!
AOPA's purpose is almost exclusively general aviation. The tough reality is that for most people working pro bono or close to it, fighting against the corruption layer and red tape isn't worth it. I spent two months trying to get my license converted to an Indian one so I could rent a Cessna located outside Bangalore - no luck. Everyone wanted to play headhunter and send me to the US for primary training, which defeated the purpose.

If you have the resources to earn the private certificate on your own, or qualified to be sent abroad for initial training, chances are someone will hand you an airline job and that is the end of your general aviation experience, so instructors are hard to come by. If you're flying ultralights, there is no experience in the US to advocate for it because they're largely unregulated in NA/Europe.

To top it off, we're fighting hard to stem the tide of declining GA around the world, it's hard to try to start it somewhere that has nobody interested. Even China has a healthier GA sector, and the military controls everything there!
ManjaM
BRFite

Post by ManjaM »

Kannan, AOPA exists for advocacy and promotion of GA. AOPA in India fulfills nowhere close to that purpose. GA is for all purposes dead in India. There is no domestic consumption, no Government support, plenty of Government created obstacles and the few manufacturers that existed have gone out of business.

I have heard another person confirm what you said regarding flight schools in India. Did you go all the way through to commercial or do you have a PPL right now?
Kannan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Kannan »

ManjaM wrote:Kannan, AOPA exists for advocacy and promotion of GA. AOPA in India fulfills nowhere close to that purpose. GA is for all purposes dead in India. There is no domestic consumption, no Government support, plenty of Government created obstacles and the few manufacturers that existed have gone out of business.

I have heard another person confirm what you said regarding flight schools in India. Did you go all the way through to commercial or do you have a PPL right now?
Comm, but keep in mind that commercial really only means 300hrs flying time and some advanced maneuvers, and the right be paid to fly, so it isn't a big accomplishment. In the US that means you're one of thousands who want to build time and get picked to log jet/turbine time and earn the airline transport pilot rating towards a career pilot job. In Europe/India, you're one of a rare few and you'll be plucked by an airline.

Given the bureaucracy and red tape in Europe surrounding 'big' airports (landing fees, approach fees....) $, they're moving towards LSAs and ultralights, which is why I'm surprised they're not much bigger in India. Until drones started messing things up for everyone, ultralights were completely unregulated and there would be nothing illegal about assembling one (cheap rotax or two stroke engine mounted on fiberglass and cloth!!), taking off from your farm, and wandering from town to town 50m off the ground! Plus a great educational tool.

Since the government in general is also less paranoid than the commies, it is disappointing that companies like Cessna and Beechcraft are having branches purchased or manufactured offshore in China instead of India, like the now dead Skycatcher or http://en.sunwardtech.com
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Beautiful promotional video of Embraer E2 jets from Embraer.

I have heard that Embraer has a VR walk-through room at their center in Sao Paulo, where one can virtually walk through an airplane concept and "peer" in to various aspects of it. Supposedly it is amazing. Their CFD group is supposedly top notch as well.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

So, at the Consumer Electronic Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Chinese dronemaker Ehang unveiled a drone large enough to carry 1 human being powered by batteries for a flight upto 23 minutes. Maximum speed 100 kmph at an altitude of upto 500 meters (1640 feet). Commuting via this drone certainly beats being stuck in traffic for hours!!

rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Flew AI 301 SYD-DEL and AI 504 DEL - BLR.

AI 301 is a new Dreamliner but instead of looking shiny and polished it already looked old though not grubby like some AI 320/1's look. Somehow, Indic things seem to look older much faster. Anything new will look a decade old in just a few years.

The leg room was good.

3 meals were served. The main meal was lip smacking delicious and was the highlight. The meals went down hill thereafter.

The second meal was bad - a hot meal service served cold and was below par. Since taste is subjective (that's why going to Macca's is not a criminal offence :-D) at first, I thought maybe it was just me - but soon enough I heard moans from the NZ guy sitting next to me & the desi's behind me so I felt vindicated in our collective disappointment.

The last snack was a cold limp littul croissant and English tea, I took one look and declined without any regret. We neither know how to make, spell or pronounce the damm thing. Except our uber RAPE's no desi even knows how to eat that thing - they look at it with a suspiciously and then at each other.Our flag carrier should serve our national dish - the samosa or idli wada sambura.

The toilet ran out of toilet paper. Multiple reports to cabin crew only elicited "yes sir, yes sir" but the toilet paper was never re-filled. Well at least AI is at par with China Southern Airlines.

The cabin crew were rude to passengers. One passenger complained to the crew that he was not offered drinks to which the lady crew replied "You are kidding" and then summoned her crew mate loudly and said "He says he was not offered drinks" - after which both of them smirked and walked off. This attitude is not a service mind set.

SIA would say "My mistake sir" even if it was not and ask what the gentleman wanted. Most other half decent airline would do something similar. Smirking is not acceptable in the service industry even if the customer is wrong.

Every seat has a personalised entertainment screen but the choices are very limited and movies are old. Plus the the entertainment unit looks like it was done by RDSO for a IR coach - its blocky and looks a bit juggadu - nothing like the uber TFTA seat conformal Rafael-esque entertainment unit on the Air France 777 I flew to Paris from BLR the night after.

Take a look at the "About Uj" page and the "About Us" page on the entertainment screen.

Nobody was able to control their respective famed dreamliner gel windows. The crew, without having the courtesy to inform us had decided what was best for all of us and had set the windows to maximum opacity for the flight and disabled individual control.

After picking up my bag at DEL - I went to transfer to AI 504 domestic. 2 counters with rubbish strewn all around and the inevitable confusion amongst the staff. The counter staff yelled at me for no reason other than because he was stressed to which I replied - "I know you belong to a union but I am a customer, I would appreciate I he treated me like one i.e. nicely". Oh dear! The look he gave me. No apology off course.. We don't admit fault or apologise easily. We stand our ground as much as we can. :-)

AI 504 was better. Nicely yellowed, aged, cured Airbus 321 interior but the staff and food were a bit better - mind you. its a much shorter and smaller flight.

AF 191 BLR - CDG was a treat in comparison. Unlike many other airlines AF has deployed B777-200ER aircraft that are new and look new on the BLR sector, Great food, masala tea!! (AI servers crap tea bags or english tea), piping hot meals, bucket loads of entertainment, friendly staff and toilets that never ran out of paper. There is only one rule to get great service - say please and thank you as much as one can not look at them and say "coffee!!", "water!!" etc

I am a current QF and VA platinum frequent flyer and have developed a respect for the cabin crew and understand the limitations of what can and can't be done or provided at > 30k feet.

All in all, the whole AI was mostly not a very pleasant experience. The disappointment more so because even though I am a true SDRE, I have always been treated and serviced well by firang airlines while my very own treat me badly.

Now i am sitting in my accommodation in Richmond town waiting for Swach Bharat to kick in outside the gate. I have already paid the Swach bharat cess several times in restaurant bills and on my upcoming flight to Pune.:-)

@Shiv, I owe you some money from many Diwali's ago. Happy to give it to you and apologise it has taken me so long. Please tell me where and when. I am in BLR for the next 2 days and then again in 1st week of Feb for a few days. Thank you.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Compani ... n-December
NEW DELHI (NewsRise) -- State-run Air India recorded its best monthly performance of 2015 in December, as the debt-saddled carrier stepped up efforts to boost growth amid stiff competition from private airlines.

The national carrier filled nearly 87% of its seats in December, carrying about 1.29 million passengers - the airline's highest for at least two years. Air India, however, had the most delayed flights and continued to receive the most complaints from passengers, underscoring the challenges that the airline faces in enhancing its reputation.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Airline offloads 'unruly' 70 - Seat exchange triggers row
Hyderabad, Jan. 23: Private airline IndiGo offloaded 70 passengers from its Hyderabad-Raipur flight last evening for "unruly behaviour" but claimed to have later provided them meals and put them on the next flight free of charge.

The 70 passengers belonged to a wedding group and had bought bulk tickets. Some of them told The Telegraph they had wanted to sit together on the flight but the cabin crew refused to disturb the other passengers.

"They didn't allow us to exchange seats for alleged security reasons," Praveen Naik said.

An IndiGo spokesperson said some of the male passengers from the group had stood in the aisle and refused to budge, making it difficult for the other passengers and crew to walk.

Some of the "unruly" passengers "began to brush their luggage" against a crew member's face, IndiGo said, adding that the flight's captain then informed the airline's security ground staff.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

big deal for Airbus from Iran

Airbus Seals 118-Aircraft Deal with Iran

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ ... -deal-iran
Iran Air’s contract includes orders for 21 airplanes from the current A320 family, 24 A320neo-family airplanes, 27 of the current A330 family, 18 A330-900s, 16 A350-1000s and 12 A380s. The deal for the A380s comes as a particularly welcome boost for Airbus, which has struggled mightily to sell the superjumbo in recent years.

“Today’s announcement is the start of re-establishing our civil aviation sector into the envy of the region and along with partners like Airbus we’ll ensure the highest world standards,” said Iran Air chairman and CEO Farhad Parvaresh.
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

UAE and Qatar are very afraid of this new competition from Iran Air for they share the same longitude as Iran's locations. So they have to be very cost efficient and beat out Iran Air over costs of operations and pricing.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Meanwhile the first proto of 737MAX called "Spirit of Renton" makes its first flight

Boeing's newest airliner just flew for the first time
Boeing's newest airliner took the sky for the first time on Friday. The Boeing 737 Max took off from the company's Renton, Washington factory for a two-and-a-half hour maiden flight before landing at Boeing Field near Seattle.
Excerpts from the above article

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

A_Gupta wrote:http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Compani ... n-December
NEW DELHI (NewsRise) -- State-run Air India recorded its best monthly performance of 2015 in December, as the debt-saddled carrier stepped up efforts to boost growth amid stiff competition from private airlines.

The national carrier filled nearly 87% of its seats in December, carrying about 1.29 million passengers - the airline's highest for at least two years. Air India, however, had the most delayed flights and continued to receive the most complaints from passengers, underscoring the challenges that the airline faces in enhancing its reputation.
As much as people hate Air India it is the only airline which evacuates Indians in Kuwait and gulf in 1990, Yemen in 2014-15 while the Emirates Qatar airways etc just take India money keep MRO and other facilities outside India and do zilch when shit hits the fan.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Flights to have restrainers, handcuffs on board to rein in unruly passengers

An IndiGo statement said: "As per DGCA guidelines, crew members must attempt to defuse a critical situation until it becomes clear that there is no way to resolve through verbal communication and written notice to passenger. Restraining devices should be used when all conciliatory approaches have been exhausted. We, at IndiGo, carry a restraint device on all our domestic flights." Made of nylon, these restrainers are called "tuff and tie or tuff-cut".

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/photo/50749712.cms