Pathankot AFB terrorist Attack After Action Analysis-I

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
member_29151
BRFite

Re: Pathankot AFB terrorist Attack After Action Analyisis-I

Post by member_29151 »

We Have Followed Peace Whatever Happens . Even If Pakistan back Stab Us every
time . Pakistani Generals Are laughing At Us . As they Always Do. ! Some Times I feel Army Should Take Over And Do It !
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Spinster wrote:I jump too
R Saab is asking r guru for Tolerence of contrarian opinion.

Spinning everything is like JLN saying the best thing to do is send sepoys with canvas shoes to Akaichin and enfield .303 guns of Afghan wars.

It is better to be honest and self critical at times of crisis rather than showing under the carpet.

Ok let's say the assets were saved and he objectives of the terrorists wer foiled! Is that a victory to be staisfied?

Are we going to deter future incursions by a punitive a cation visible to the whole world so that they jump in and tell TSP to back off or they will be Wipe,out?

That is the lament of many a nationalist here not against BRF admins and fellow posters.

Considerable time and energy spent here is in itself an indication of the love of country and its welfare, questioning those intents is not conducive to improvements and idea generation.

Or we may as well,fall in line and say wah wah great job of group think

Added later
Can any one tell me what is the difference of MMsS approach and Na Mo approach at this point to Gurdaspur and Pathankot.
Thanks in advance

JMVHO
*sighs* I am glad someone understands my English.
member_29247
BRFite

Post by member_29247 »

No Military take over

Short term emergency declaration ( like they did in France after terrorr attacks) by Na Mo to set the house in order and punish traitors, terrorist supporters , economic offenders who are worse than terrorists who are overt most often. The loot of nation deprives future generations of proper food, health, education and the respect for law.

The boastful slogan prior to elections of revealing the names of the Swiss bank account holders, the promise of bringing back money, punishing the guilty no matter how high and mighty they may be ,or friend or foe alike is s all garam Hawa . I understand the enormous head ache and obstacle the babus can cause in different forms being cohorts in scams.

But a leader must cut through these monstrous tentacles and deliver only such are true leaders in that sense Modi ji is uniquely poised, he has no family except the people of the nation. To amass wealth or nepotism to,practice

Will he do the painful thing and rescue the nation or will he be a Nomhit Sharma when the big occasion demands only future will tell
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

KLNMurthy wrote:
No serious grownup, in writing about a high-stakes topic like the aftermath of Pathankot, will casually use a loaded and judgmental term like "screwup" at such an early stage (in fact never) when the air is filled with confusing, contradictory and biased or plain false information or opinion masquerading as analysis. At least no one who is more concerned about contributing to the reader's understanding than simply advertising themselves as some kind of authority.

Yup - kind of like if you meet an archaeologist who says "this is definitely what happened here" then you know he has some bias or motive
member_29247
BRFite

Post by member_29247 »

How would one know of the bias of the archielogist if truth is not known or revealed, or can not be?

If truth is known the bias is proven, but in its absence as in many acrhialogical expeditions the easiest is to find a scape goat
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Mi-17s to get gunfire sensors
The IAF plans to equip its Mi-17 helicopters with small arms fire detection systems (SAFDS) that will warn aircrew about the range, angle and direction of incoming hostile gunfire from the ground during combat operations.

The system will be an added advantage during operations undertaken in close support of ground troops during war, heli-borne insertion of troops, special missions as well as counter-terrorist operations, where helicopters operate in close proximity to the ground.

The SAFDS will also be useful in situations like the terror strike at the Pathankot air base earlier this month, where Mi-17s were also deployed for aerial surveillance and there was a possibility of them being fired upon.

The Indian Air Force has also been providing logistic support to paramilitary forces deployed in anti-Maoist operations and there have been several instances of these being fired upon. At least two Mi-17s are reported to have suffered damaged in such incidents.

The Air Headquarters is in the process of identifying suitable vendors for the equipment and a request for information in this regard has recently been issued by the Ministry of Defence.

The systems will be retrofitted on the Indian Air Force’s M-17 fleet by Kazan Helicopters, the Russian company that manufactures the Mi series of helicopters, rather than the aircraft being modified in India.

The Indian Air Force is looking for SAFDS that are light-weight with a “strap-on” capability so that one system can be deployed on more than one particular helicopter airframe. These will be ruggedised, have day-night and all-weather operation capability and function effectively in all phases of flight like take-off, climb, cruise, hover, descent and landing.

Apart from the Indian Air Force, the Army and the Border Security Force are also evaluating ground-based SAFDS for deployment along the Line of Control and some stretches of the International Border that have witnessed regular ceasefire violations.
member_29218
BRFite

Post by member_29218 »

NaMo is a man who truly has the nation's best interests at heart and perhaps some of them take priority over others. We are all clamoring for some visible form of retaliation for the latest in a long series of attacks on the homeland.

I for one am very hopeful that NaMo will deliver, in his own way, in his own time. I cannot accept that he would let this go by without a full accounting from Pakistan. I think patience is called for, revenge is a dish best served cold.
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

I too believe NaMo will respond....but if nothing happens, will we start looking for something Chanakian, like everytime when MMS did not respond.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

I would've heaped curses on MMS for seeming-inaction after an AFB Pkot type attack. In all fairness, will d the same with NM too, but without the enthusiasm or the vehemence. Why? Because I (still) somehow trust the man way more than I ever did MMS (or Sonia, more appropriately) to act with Indian interests at heart foremost. Only.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The Pathankot terrorists were heavily armed and well trained and came along Indian roads in Indian cars. Why did they attack the worst possible target - an airbase that is sure to have armed guards? They could have attacked so many other targets. Schools, hotels, markets etc and created mayhem.

If the Pakis really wanted to have a good laugh while Indians cried and cursed their own security forces they could have done that. I can only guess at the reason. I think attacking soft civilian targets and achieving hundreds of kills has not earned the dividends that were expected. I think Pakistani sponsors of terror came under more pressure after doing that and made a decision to target something big. Also provoking India into armed conflict or at least testing India's reaction would be a goal.

Imagine if these terrorists, with UBGLs had managed to get within 500 meters of aircraft and launched grenades to destroy just two MiG 21s and one Mi 35? How much laughing would have been there among Paki generals? What degree of praise would we be heaping on our security forces? Air Force morale would be down in the dumps if retribution was disallowed. All good for the attackers.

The terrorists actually did not get the spectacular success they wanted. I think the average American has some idea of what a gun can do. I put it to you that 99.9% of Indians (and 99% of BRFites) have never actually held a loaded firearm let alone fired one. I don't mean to mock but one needs to know the power that is represented by 6 men with Kalashnikovs, 3000 rounds of ammunition and underbarrel grenade launchers - all in all about 50-75 kg - just about what you and your family took the last time you travelled for a long holiday.

And we sit here and ask "Why were men killed?" The operation was a failure because I think in my mind that if 6 terrorists are there and 500 plus Indian troops - all should have been shot dead in 2 minutes. Yesterday I saw news that an American drone killed 20 terrorists. Could we not have killed 6 with a drone? What were those 500 plus incompetent soldiers doing? I urge people in the US to take an active interest in firearms and go to a shooting range. I urge desis to join shooting clubs and pick up an air rifle first and learn the basics before becoming expert commentators. You need to see a a puny 0.22 LR bullet make a hole in 3 mm of steel before talking about what it takes to get one man armed with an automatic weapon hiding under good cover in the dark.

In short, in my view - I am seeing opinions posted by a bunch of ignorant fools who really should be ignored, but cannot be ignored because they are patriots and mean well and have their heart in the right place (or so it is claimed).
Last edited by shiv on 11 Jan 2016 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

shiv wrote:The Pathankot terrorists were heavily armed and well trained and came along Indian roads in Indian cars. Why did they attack the worst possible target - an airbase that is sure to have armed guards? They could have attacked so many other targets. Schools, hotels, markets etc and created mayhem.

If the Pakis really wanted to have a good laugh while Indians cried and cursed their own security forces they could have done that. I can only guess at the reason. I think attacking soft civilian targets and achieving hundreds of kills has not earned the dividends that were expected.
they do not want to antagonize local population, look at civilians who were affected, a drug mule with an innova and a drug dealer SP. If they piss off local population, their game is up before it began. They are counting on local dissatisfaction with Indian polity.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

habal wrote: they do not want to antagonize local population, look at civilians who were affected, a drug mule with an innova and a drug dealer SP. If they piss off local population, their game is up before it began. They are counting on local dissatisfaction with Indian polity.
Fine. But tell me why attack an airbase?
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

tapping local khalistani undercurrents. They figure they can count on underground movement if they stick to visible symbols of power of the state.

what did khalistanis do 30 years ago. They fought against Indian state, including army, air force et al.
Rajput
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajput »

I would like to remind people that the same NaMo who's appearing to be "weak" is the one who greenlit the raid into Burma to take out the separatists who attacked the AR convoy. Since Pakistan itself is complicit in this attack, obviously we can't send in helos to take out JeM or those other pig-f*ckers, but I am sure Modi/Doval won't take this attack lying down.

As Khan Noonian Singh said, "revenge, is a dish best served cold". For now, I'm willing to give Modi/Doval the time to serve up a nice dish of revenge biryani. From everything else they have done in terms of the Forces (giving them freedom to retaliate, the Burma raid, and too many other things to mention), I am positive that they'll do something fitting in this case too.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

habal wrote:tapping local khalistani undercurrents. They figure they can count on underground movement if they stick to visible symbols of power of the state.
No Habal. Police stations and state government installations, radio and TV are all symbols of state power and easier targets. Why an air base?
Rajput
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajput »

shiv wrote:Why did they attack the worst possible target - an airbase that is sure to have armed guards?
Given that they were carrying thermite (which burns slowly, but can burn through just about anything), I am convinced the target was Pathankot AFB. Thermite has basically no use other than to cut through metal (OK, or maybe weld stuff, but I'm sure they weren't here to fix our planes).
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

I am quite sure namo will not sit quite. Last time pakis tried such a stunt in akhnoor, they had to undergo peshawar aps massacre. That made them quite for an year. But any response to terrorism if proven conclusively should be massive and should cripple the enemy for quite some time to come. No precise pin-point attack on camps can solve state sponsored terror.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rajput wrote:
shiv wrote:Why did they attack the worst possible target - an airbase that is sure to have armed guards?
Given that they were carrying thermite (which burns slowly, but can burn through just about anything), I am convinced the target was Pathankot AFB. Thermite has basically no use other than to cut through metal (OK, or maybe weld stuff, but I'm sure they weren't here to fix our planes).
Please. What is the point of attacking an air base?
  • To die?
    To kill cooks?
    To call mummy and say "I gonna get houris"
    Or to destroy aircraft and airbase installations?
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

shiv wrote:
habal wrote:tapping local khalistani undercurrents. They figure they can count on underground movement if they stick to visible symbols of power of the state.
No Habal. Police stations and state government installations, radio and TV are all symbols of state power and easier targets. Why an air base?
IMHO: Afghanistan - Indian Helos- red lines.

-----
Modi is more jingoistic than even most brf posters. Doval knows pak inside out. So, patience.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

shiv wrote:
dear saar, those are staffed by civilians from state of punjab, state here is central govt. Power projection of air force, army is by centre and those working there are not civilians from state.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

shiv wrote:I think Pakistani sponsors of terror came under more pressure after doing that and made a decision to target something big. Also provoking India into armed conflict or at least testing India's reaction would be a goal.
I agree, I think an attempt is being made to revive the "insurgency", where military targets are halal and separate from "terror" paradigms. It has not worked in this case, but I think that is the attempt. One crucial mistake by them though that they selected a target outside of Kashmir, loosing out on the propaganda value. This is the part that I have questions on, why a target outside Kashmir. The only thing I can come up with is ease of access, loopholes in BSF / higher security in Kashmir as the reason. Anything else?
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

Attempts to reconstruct the possible entry points of the terrorists is throwing up curious angles. Check out this link:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 524957.cms

The 5th & 6th terrorists were neutralised and their ammo + explosives 'cooked' off - it appears that there were as many as 45 secondary explosions.. which means that they had huge quantities of the stuff. Inside help is a distinct possibility. It would also mean that these two may have been the primary team to attack the technical area and the other four were for distractions?
Rampy
BRFite

Post by Rampy »

shiv wrote: Please. What is the point of attacking an air base?
  • To die?
    To kill cooks?
    To call mummy and say "I gonna get houris"
    Or to destroy aircraft and airbase installations?
Exactly why AFB, if they indeed wanted to blow Aircraft they could have targeted civilian base or hijacked. My theory Paki fauj has received a very stringent warning on targeting soft targets within India from UNCLE. But they cannot make their pappu sit quite at home. So what they do
I was reading Christian Fair's book on Paki fauj, IMO they wanted to test our response time just like Gurdaspur but this time military response time and what options Doval will use. What we have to see is do we really have option or its bluff
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

btw they did try attacking a police station in dina nagar ps attack. Can't say for sure if that indeed was their target. All they got for that was even the ps peon firing a few bullets their way. So that didn't go well. Now they are trying to attack exclusively military installations to see if that gets some traction. for the lowly pakis that they are, they never stop trying. prod, prod see what sticks.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Hari Nair wrote:Attempts to reconstruct the possible entry points of the terrorists is throwing up curious angles. Check out this link:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 524957.cms

The 5th & 6th terrorists were neutralised and their ammo + explosives 'cooked' off - it appears that there were as many as 45 secondary explosions.. which means that they had huge quantities of the stuff. Inside help is a distinct possibility. It would also mean that these two may have been the primary team to attack the technical area and the other four were for distractions?

Very correct as it would explain why Paki Ustad/control was upset with the four for being late.

I think Paki Ustad called Uber for the Innova taxi saying need to drop a patient. he taxi driver picked the four and realized they were terrorists and took action to prevent forward movement. He got killed.
SP showed up miraculously and delivered them close to PAFB.

Four were to be diversion. Garuds and DSC stopped them.
Meantime other two got delayed and got 36 later.

A question what is this explosives cooking off

Deflagrating stuff vs detonating stuff
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

habal wrote:
shiv wrote: No Habal. Police stations and state government installations, radio and TV are all symbols of state power and easier targets. Why an air base?
dear saar, those are staffed by civilians from state of punjab, state here is central govt. Power projection of air force, army is by centre and those working there are not civilians from state.
Fine. If what you say is true, the terrorists has instructions to attack a central government target.

But what were they to do? What damage can anyone do to an airbase? How can you attack a 2000 acre area of land?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

habal wrote:btw they did try attacking a police station in dina nagar ps attack. Can't say for sure if that indeed was their target. All they got for that was even the ps peon firing a few bullets their way. So that didn't go well. Now they are trying to attack exclusively military installations to see if that gets some traction. for the lowly pakis that they are, they never stop trying. prod, prod see what sticks.
Why not attack civilians in the air base? Why did they not do that? Why did they not even touch one single aircraft? Were they incompetent bums simply calling mummy?
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

do we know for sure they didn't try .. I do not know what intelligence the agencies received, what was their security plan and what contingencies did that plan prevent.

from the direction they entered it seems closest were dsc mess, administrative buildings, then hangars and then civilian quarters. So security in place prevented them from crossing first hurdle.
member_29089
BRFite

Post by member_29089 »

shiv wrote:
habal wrote: they do not want to antagonize local population, look at civilians who were affected, a drug mule with an innova and a drug dealer SP. If they piss off local population, their game is up before it began. They are counting on local dissatisfaction with Indian polity.
Fine. But tell me why attack an airbase?
GuruJi,

It was a case of a perverted ==.
Pakis are still red-faced after their air/naval/army bases were attacked and their AWACs etc were hallalled. At that time Paki TVs had "experts" claiming daily that it was RAA and Mossad who done it.
(even though the good-taliban was shouting hoarse that they did it)

Note that Swargiya Hamid Gul used to and his ilk among the ISI still believe that 9/11 was a Jewish hit job. Therefore don't be surprised that many in ISI actually/truly/firmly believe that RAA and Mossad are spreading Polio in Pakistan and attacking Army/Navy/AF installations, while the good (bad) Taliban only read Koran during the day time and do Bachcha-bazi during night time because Islam is a religion of Peace and Muslims NEVER kill fellow Muslims.

So in a way this is a revenge act as well as a signal to the bhookha nanga abduls in pakiland that "look if RAA can attack Mehran then ISI can attack Pathankot"

We are truly dealing with a deranged and irrational deep-state within Pakhanastan.

Look out for next attack at Indian military school or military hospital to do an == with Peshawar school attack
Last edited by member_29089 on 11 Jan 2016 09:06, edited 3 times in total.
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

shiv wrote:
habal wrote:btw they did try attacking a police station in dina nagar ps attack. Can't say for sure if that indeed was their target. All they got for that was even the ps peon firing a few bullets their way. So that didn't go well. Now they are trying to attack exclusively military installations to see if that gets some traction. for the lowly pakis that they are, they never stop trying. prod, prod see what sticks.
Why not attack civilians in the air base? Why did they not do that? Why did they not even touch one single aircraft? Were they incompetent bums simply calling mummy?

The first thing I thought of was

1. Pak has had a couple of its airbases attacked (Karachi, Kamra and Peshawar). Suspecting/Assuming Indian hand in them, they wanted retribution.
2. The millitants have gained the required expertise planning and executing a relatively successful attack on airbases. Practice has made them confident. So time to make India pay likewise.
3. Of course Mi-35 handover to Af has to be avenged. Wanted to make a statement, we will destroy assets even before you hand over to Af.
4. High cost, High Visibility of air assets.
5. To prove to Pak public that militants are patriotic and not just religious. Attacking Civilian targets do not prove this point.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

It is no use attacking an air base unless you put it out of action. Either aircraft and fixed installations must be destroyed or the runway damaged (very ve-ry difficult).

Which of these was achieved?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sidsom
#2 can be achieved only with military connivance. Sharifs need to root out the bad elements in ISI that facilitated this.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

habal wrote:do we know for sure they didn't try .. I do not know what intelligence the agencies received, what was their security plan and what contingencies did that plan prevent.

from the direction they entered it seems closest were dsc mess, administrative buildings, then hangars and then civilian quarters. So security in place prevented them from crossing first hurdle.
Of course they tried. And of course security stopped them and killed them before any serious damage could be done. That is, of course the job of security?

If you ask me it was the Pakis who botched the operation. Does anyone have any idea why so many people claim that the Indian security forces botched it? Did they want the terrorists to succeed in getting at vital airbase assets? i mean exactly what failure are people farting about?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

If you read Indian press and some posters Pak terrorists achieved a famous victory at PAFB.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramana wrote:If you read Indian press and some posters Pak terrorists achieved a famous victory at PAFB.
Precisely. I can't for the life of me understand whathefk they are talking about.

Terrorists attacked an air base...
..and got killed.

So what? What failed?

One of India's failures is a non militarized society who have no knowledge of the history of wars that have been fought, no teaching of what heroes did. No idea about difficulties and sacrifices. No India even attempted to make a bow like Arjuna may have used or a sword that someone else may have used simply for the educational fun of it. This is part of the "failed great power" discussion in the other forum. People have no clue of the power of a single gun and what a gunman can do sitting behind a rock.

We have "experts" who are ignorant dunderheads who know nothing but have a perch from which their azan can be heard by all.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Droh kaal....

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 521554.cms

DIBRUGARH: Security has been tightened around Indian Air Force station at Chabua in Assam's Dibrugarh district following intelligence inputs about threats to the air base, a police official said.

Following the Pathankot terror attack, police has received certain inputs which need to be corroborated and confirmed in consultation with various agencies and security forces but security has been tightened around the airbase, Dibrugarh Superintendent of Police Bir Bikram Gogoi said today.

"Security measures are being taken accordingly by the police, Army and IAF so that any unwarranted situation may be avoided," he said.

"After receiving the input, the IAF has restricted entry of casual workers in the base. The identity of these workers who are engaged for various works by contractors are cross checked and verified," sources at Chabua airbase said.

Chabua is a key base of the IAF and it has the latest airplanes including the Sukhoi-30 MKi and Chetak helicopters.

Chabua is also known as the 'eastern bastion' of the IAF which was built in 1939 and used through the war by allied forces in support of the Chinese against the invading Japanese forces.

The station has served as a major supply point for the troops deployed in Arunachal Pradesh with various transport aircraft and helicopters operating from the base.

It then took on a training role as MIG-21 were based here training young fighter pilots and providing air defence to the region.

In 2009, however, the last squadron of Mig-21 moved out from Chabua and after undergoing major renovation and expansion, the Sukhoi-30 MKI multi-role fighters were indicted in the base since Feb 2011.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

"We are swiftly carrying out investigations in a transparent manner and will bring out the truth, the world will see our effectiveness and sincerity in this regard." Sharif told Kerry

That is good, but Pak has to act fast too..

Act fast against perpetrators, US tells Pakistan
Sending a tough message to Pakistan for the third time to act fast against perpetrators of the Pathankot terror attack, a senior U.S. state department official in Washington has asked Islamabad to walk the talk on its promises to act tough against terrorists operating from its soil.

He also asked Pakistan to conduct a complete and thorough probe into the terrorist attack on the Pathankot air base.

The official said the US was in touch with Pakistan on this issue. The Pakistan had said they are going to investigate, he said. It should be aggressive in its counter terror operations and bring the perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attack also to justice, he said.

According to officials, it would become very difficult for the U.S. Government to convince the Republican-controlled Congress to approve the sale of eight F-16s to Pakistan, if Islamabad is seen as reluctant in taking action against terrorist groups.

Pakistan Defence Minister Khwaja Muhammad Asif, meanwhile, said "no terrorist organisation would be allowed to derail the dialogue process between Pakistan and India", reported Radio Pakistan.

The minister said Pakistan has achieved immense success in elimination of terrorism through operation 'Zarb-e-Azb', and strict action is being taken against elements involved in terror activities. He said Pakistan strongly condemns terrorism in every form as terrorists are enemy of humanity.
Last edited by Amber G. on 11 Jan 2016 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

They will reveal something like "we checked our national database and no one named Masood Azhar lives in Pakistan".
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Shiv Twitter had news of Namo ordering military installations near borders to become fortresses. Don't know what that means but lets watch.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^This is in MSM news for quite some time..
for example:
PM Modi asks defence authorities to convert bases near border into 'impregnable fortresses'

and

Porous airbase security worries Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi posed some tough questions to the security establishment, particularly the Indian Air Force (IAF) personnel, during his visit to the Pathankot airbase on Saturday, days after six terrorists were neutralised there in a fierce gun battle, which lasted over 80 hours.

Mr. Modi, accompanied by National Security Adviser Ajit Doval, was reportedly disturbed by the lax security apparatus at the defence installation, a senior government official told The Hindu.

The IAF personnel admitted to the lapse in security, the official claimed. Though none of the assets like fighter jets could be targeted by the terrorists, the fact that they were parked at a five-minute walk, from the point where the attackers entered the airbase was a cause for concern for the Prime Minister, the official said.

“He asked the IAF personnel multiple times, how it was possible for the terrorists to enter the airbase? He said it was a big security lapse and should not have happened,” said another official.

Mr. Modi also shot down a proposal by the Army to pull out BSF forces from the ‘peaceful eastern border with Bangladesh’ and redeploy them as ‘second line of defence’ along the Punjab border, said an official.

Modi didn’t fault NSG deployment

<snip>

The official said the Prime Minister posed no questions on the decision to deploy the NSG commandos instead of the Army.