Re: Indian Army: News and Discussions 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

http://www.rediff.com/news/special/defe ... 151216.htm
Lt Gen JFR Jacob: The man who masterminded Pakistan's surrender in 1971
Last updated on: January 13, 2016 12:27 IST
Lieutenant General Jacob Farj Rafael Jacob (retired) -- Jake to his friends -- passed into the ages on Wednesday, January 13, 2016.....
RIP.
Gautam
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

RIP General. Salute.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

A final salute to a legendary general.He oversaw the defeat of the E.Paki forces in '71.Gen jacob was our highest ranking officer in the IA of the Jewish faith.It was remarkable that in "71,in the IA Gen. Manekshaw was a Parsi,Lt.Gen Arora a Sikh and Lt.Gen.Jacob a Jew! This underlined India's secularism and diverse unity of its peoples. A signal lesson to the world which was much remarked upon by global analysts.
RIP Gen. Jacob.You served our nation proud.We salute you!

A titbit I found.
When Pakistan's defeat seemed certain, Nixon sent the USS Enterprise to the Bay of Bengal from the Gulf of Tonkin.[19] Enterprise arrived on station on December 11, 1971. Originally, the deployment of Enterprise was claimed to be for evacuating U.S. citizens and personnel from the area. Later, Nixon claimed that it was also as a gesture of goodwill towards Pakistan and China. Enterprise's presence was considered an intimidation, and hotly protested by India and the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union called this U.S. move one of Gunboat Diplomacy.[20] On December 6, and December 13, the Soviet Navy dispatched two groups of ships, armed with nuclear missiles, from Vladivostok; they trailed U.S. Task Force 74 in the Indian Ocean from December 18 until January 7, 1972.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

RIP sir.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

great strategist ! achieved maximum with minimum fuss. Hope he mentored a few to share his vision to next generation.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Real hero of 1971. But for him there may not have been a Bangladesh.
Vril
BRFite

Bangla War Hero Lt Gen JFR Jacob no more

Post by Vril »

Lt Gen JFR Jacob, key role player in 1971 war, passes away at 92

New Delhi: Lt Gen (retd) JFR Jacob, who played a key role in the 1971 war, passed on Wednesday. He was 92.

He breathed his last at 8:30 am due to pneumonia, said authorities at Army Hospital (Research and Referral). He had been admitted on January 1
Be at peace sir.
wig
BRF Oldie

Re: Bangla War Hero Lt Gen JFR Jacob no more

Post by wig »

May the soul of this great Indian rest in peace. May India be blessed with more such sons.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Condolences...
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

May Divine mother give her lap for final rest to this brave soldier of Bharat..
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

A great hero for India. This nation cannot forget your services at all. RIP, sir.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

RIP sir, the nation owes you a debt of gratitude!
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

RIP
Baikul
BRFite

Post by Baikul »

Had the privilege of living in the same apartment complex as him and attending last year's local Independence Day celebrations alongside. He had a roguish smile and a charm that made him look 20 years younger.

RIP.

A bunch of the old timers are going. It seems every second day there's a death notice pasted up.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

his name will be ever in.our memory.
SRoy
BRFite

Post by SRoy »

RIP. One of our finest.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gen Jacob at his finest hour (circled on right side)
Thank you Sir. You have achieved moksha - but please send us greedy ones more like you while we live out or rebirths
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

RIP, sir. A great soldier who will be remembered
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A great soldier and a true warrior.

He enabled Bangladesh freedom by going for Dhaka when the opportunity came.
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

May his soul rest in peace.

I have never had the pleasure to have met him, however, my brother did. When the Gen was the Governor of Punjab, he had an ailment that needed Surgery. When he found that his Anaesthetist was the son of an Army officer, he was very happy. The Gen told my brother that if he needed anything to contact the Gen. A year or so later, my brother needed something on an emergency basis and as a last resort went to the Governor's office. True to his word it was done for him in record time.

It is a private anecdote that speaks to the type of person and a Leader that He was. Sir you will be missed and Thank You for all your contributions.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Condolences.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

RIP. India is very lucky to have had a few sons like him. May his tribe flourish and provide more such sons.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

RIP
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Shat shat naman to Lt Gen Jacob. May your life and times be an inspiration to millions.
Shanu
BRFite

Post by Shanu »

RIP Jacob Sir. You have been an inspiration to thousands of Indians. May your kind keep coming back to our Nation.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

He was a great son of India.

An Indian jew of iraqi extraction, he was loved by all he served with. We are grateful.

May he rest in peace, after a job well done and a life well lived.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

RIP sir.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

RIP sir.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Please post any write-ups in the press or tributes you come across in his honor.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Israel is paying quite some respect to this war hero... NaMo's tweet is retweeted. Times of Israel story:

Jack Jacob, Indian Jewish war hero, dies at 92
PM Modi says ‘India will always remain grateful’ to highest ever ranking Jewish member of Indian armed forces...
Lt. Gen. Jack Jacob likely saved hundreds of thousands of lives while serving as chief of staff of the Indian Eastern command during the 1971 Bangladesh war.
Jack Jacob, a renowned Indian general, statesman and long-time prominent member of the country’s small Jewish community, died Wednesday in New Delhi. He was 92.

Jacob, who died of pneumonia at New Delhi’s Army Research & Referral Hospital, was the highest ranking military officer in the history of the Indian Jewish community and considered a national hero for his daring military campaigns.

The former chief of staff is best known for commanding India’s Eastern Army during the liberation of Bangladesh from Pakistan in 1971 and negotiating the historic surrender of Pakistani troops after the war. His 1997 book “Surrender at Dacca: Birth of a Nation,” is considered the definitive account of the Bangladesh campaign.

Born in 1923 in Calcutta, British India, Jacob’s family hailed from a long line of Baghdadi Jews who moved to India from Iraq in the middle of the 18th century. Enlisting in the British Indian Army in 1942, Jacob continued to serve in the Indian Army after the country gained independence in 1947, rising in the ranks to the lieutenant general.

(Picture of Maj Gen Jack Jacob (3rd from right) at the signing of the Instrument of Surrender between India and Pakistan, 1971 is also displayed)

After his retirement from the military in 1978 Jacob served as the Governor of the Indian states of Goa and Punjab. He related his life story in the 2011 memoir, “An Odyssey in War and Peace.”

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted condolences for the famed war hero and said India “will always remain grateful to him for his impeccable service to the nation at the most crucial moments.”

In another tweet Modi posted a picture of Jacob presenting his autobiography to the Indian premier and said the two “interacted often.”

The American Jewish Committee released a statement mourning Jacob’s death.

“Jack Jacob’s contributions to peace and security in South Asia, as well as to the burgeoning and mutually beneficial relationship between India and Israel, are incalculable and enduring,” said Jason Isaacson, AJC Associate Executive Director for Policy. “A warrior, a man of peace, a patriot, a man of letters, and a committed Jew, he was a giant — and he will be missed.”

Jacob had been to Israel several times. He developed close friendships with Israeli leaders such as former prime ministers Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin. He is reported to have been particularly close with Mordechai Gur, the Israeli paratrooper commander whose forces captured the Old City of Jerusalem in 1967.

“Your military achievements were of much interest in my country,” Gur once wrote to Jacob in a letter delivered via a mutual friend in the days before Israel-India relations. “Your performance is, without a doubt, one of the best in modern warfare.”

Today, Jacob’s uniform hangs in the Israeli military museum at Latrun.
For me ( I have watched 1971 surrender ceremony live on American TV) his brilliance resulted into, nearly 90,000 Pakistani soldiers surrendering to the Indian Army. Joy of seeing Dhaka fall, despite the fact that there were >26,000 Pakistani soldiers in the city and only 3,000 Indian soldiers in the immediate area. was great.
(American TV's did very good coverage)
Behind the scenes, a day before or so, Jacob personally visited Niazi to seek his surrender. He flew to Dhaka and obtained an unconditional surrender from Niazi... which was formally done next day in those famous photographs now.

( :(( Niazi later complained and accused Jacob of blackmailing him into the surrender by threatening to order the annihilation of Pakistani troops in the East by bombing
:(( )
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

"When a Jew became hero of a Muslim nation"

Bangladesh honors our hero.

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

As people know Jacobji was also celebrated in Israel, where his uniform hangs in the Israeli military museum.
But he rejected offers to move to Israel.. He said.
I am proud to be a Jew, but am Indian through and through. I was born in India and served her my whole life. This is where I want to die,
member_28990
BRFite

Post by member_28990 »

A titan rests.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Men like you did not lay but become the strongest feature of the foundation upon which stands tall my nation, I apologise your nation.
You were indeed a quiet diligent army man who played such a crucial role in the formation of Bangladesh and wrote a golden chapter for the Indian Army and yet I feel never took or asked for the credit.

Sir rest in peace, rest in peace.
I pray that a million Jacobs are born in India this month.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

To all my sons and daughters,

I am 93 now, a retired Army Lieutenant General, perhaps, still wearing the old world on my sleeves, on the last legs of life. I never married, I have no family. With me, the last trace of my bloodline will forever be washed away from the face of India and this earth. I have no son or daughter. But when I think of it, I see my son and daughter in every young face of this country. You are all my sons & daughters. And hence this letter, I write to you. While I am proud to be a Jew, I am an Indian through and through. And I ask you all, to make India our prime Identity.

Army life has taught me the importance of duty. Stand tall, resolve to serve the nation and never waver. Our duty is to serve. You need to do what you feel is right, and strive and seek and find and conquer. This is the only way to be true to your own self.

What worries me most is the swarming poor of our nation. The privileged youth of India should take ownership of the situation. I talk to the young of this nation. You are far better trained and far more professional than my generation. Sound economic and strategic planning will bring about the required change. Usher in your nation.

Sons, respect women. I don’t understand how crime against women can happen. I have no answers to them. I can only appeal to those willing to lend an ear.

I finished now. But you are only beginning. Begin with a difference. If I had married, I would have wanted my son or daughter to be an Army man! Army life is clean, disciplined and has purpose. Think about this career option, too, but also bear in mind, Army life is not just song, dance and a glass of scotch. Let me tell you, my favourite drink is water!

Over and Out!
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

May you attain moksha. Mother India is surely proud of you and hope each of her sons and daughters seek inspiration from you and tread the path of service to the nation.
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

Celebrating Lohri with a Governor by Brig Jagbir Singh Grewal (retd)
LIEUT-GEN JFR Jacob (retd), Jake, as he loved to call himself, was a popular Governor of Punjab, with a deep-rooted love for the state and its people. During the 2002 Lohri when ‘Operation Parakram’ was in full swing after the terrorist attack on our Parliament, the Governor had come over to my formation at Dera Baba Nanak to celebrate Lohri and left nostalgic memories.
“Sir, we are organising a barakhana,” I had apprised him, as he enquired, “How are you celebrating Lohri?”
“Well I wish to join you all,” he quipped, and added, “Hope I am welcome to join, and not intruding.” He had come from Chandigarh with his entourage and brought gifts of huge baskets of rewris and gachaks. As he was ushered into the barakhana enclosure, he extended the traditional Lohri greetings to all those present, and then walked over to the team of medical personnel and doctors, moved by the civil administration from the nearby Batala town for a medical cover.
“Why are you here for my sake and not celebrating Lohri with your families?” he remarked, and added, “Mein abhi budha nahin hun, na hi marunga, ki aap logon ne aane ka taklif kiya (I am neither old nor will I die that you people took the trouble of coming over).
He refused to sit in the so-called VIP enclosure, but moved on to where the jawans were seated, enquired about their well-being, took ‘pakoras’ from their plates, went over and sat on the bench among jawans of 22 Sikh.
“Now, I have a kaka sitting on my either side,” he told them in chaste Punjabi. “I am reminded of my days as a young officer amidst Punjabis,” he proudly announced.
He revealed his zest for life. Soon the onlookers were bemused to see him surrounded by officers and jawans, shaking a leg in unison to the drum beats, and dancing away to glory. He took his meals in a steel plate seated on the bench amongst the jawans.
After spending about an hour with us he departed, amid tremendous bonhomie. It was a marvellous visit, devoid of any frills, but it cheered us enormously, uplifted our morale, gladdened the hearts of humdrum soldiers away from home, and left us yearning for more.
On an earlier occasion, the General had mentioned to me the reason of his seeking a commission in the British Indian Army in 1942. It was to avenge his Jewish community’s persecution by fighting the Afrika Korps of erstwhile Nazi Germans deployed in North Africa. Ironically, the battle ended earlier, and instead he was committed to serve his motherland throughout his career spanning the Second World War, the 1962, 1965 and 1971 wars. He remained a bachelor, but he lived up to his commitments, and was betrothed to his profession.
That was General Jacob, an excellent human, a down-to-earth soldiers’ General and an administrator par excellence.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/musing ... 85191.html
member_20453
BRFite

Post by member_20453 »

India's Finest, may your selfless deeds continue to inspire many more elite warriors, one of the finest commanders the world has seen since the last World Wars.

Isaiah 55:4
"Behold, I have made him a witness to the peoples, A leader and commander for the peoples.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

shiv wrote:Gen Jacob at his finest hour (circled on right side)
Thank you Sir. You have achieved moksha - but please send us greedy ones more like you while we live out or rebirths
Lt Gen Sagat Singh is to Gen Jacob's right. Behind Arora is Adm Krishnan who was passed over for the C-in-C Navy by Sanjay Gandhi.