LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

Post by shiv »

OK. Thanks for the explanations. So even though the trailing smoke from an LCA flying level at high AoA "looks like" it approximates incident air flow it simply is not good enough - it is not incident at all.

Thanks for the detailed explanations.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

[quote]When the angle of attack is zero, the aircraft wing does not generate lift. 
/quote]

That is true only for a symetric aerofoil
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

then slats down mean a bigger number (within limits) for AoA
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

^^ it does. Similarly for Flaps down.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

First I thought I will post this on Paki Multi media thread but then I thought - what the heck - its jingo video on Tejas. Forget the facts and just enjoy the superlatives on Tejas :D

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Hindi is consistently better than English videos! Brilliant LOL. Pakis are now totally fckued
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

^^^ Big LOL. DDM works both ways and now that our Tejas is 5th Gen, Stealthy aircraft, we now know why the bundar downhill skied from Bahrain surrendering $500K.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

And the best part is that it can't get shot down.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

you never know.. its RCS. so, pl accept the gen specs. :)
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

geeth wrote:
When the angle of attack is zero, the aircraft wing does not generate lift. 
/quote]

That is true only for a symetric aerofoil
All generalizations are general. Or there is exception to every rule.

However generalizations and rules convey sense quickly.
Asit P
BRFite

Post by Asit P »

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Personally I don't like pictures with watermark and hence I deliberately do not watermark any pic clicked by me. Tejas is a national pride and my amateurish pics of Tejas are for one and for all. Even if a single child, teen or a detractor develops a fascination for Tejas through my pics, I would believe that my objective has been met. That said, I also have high regards for those who watermark or copyright their pics (Many of them are journalists or photographers who make a living out of it).
Asit P
BRFite

Post by Asit P »

An interesting news from a Bahraini newspaper

Middle East buyers eye India's Tejas
An Indian delegation led by Dr S Christopher, Secretary, Department of Defence Research & Development and Director General, DRDO, is upbeat about the prospects of their indigenously developed defence products and the light combat aircraft ‘Tejas’.

“There is good interest for the aircraft from the trade observers and the Middle East buyers,” the delegation said. “A missile system displayed at the airshow has also generated interest from a potential buyer,” Christopher informed.

“Yesterday, we had a specific discussion with buyers from Abu Dhabi. We have orally received interests from many groups and will be looking to sign many deals soon,” he added. Kaveri Renganathan CEO, HAL, Bangalore, said the company would produce atleast 16 Tejas every year by 2019.

“Indian Airforce has made a commitment of 100 aircraft, in addition to a recent order of 20 fighters,” Director of ADA, CD Balaji said.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

which ME country befriends Israel? we have a quite a bit of Israeli components within LCA. no?
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

SaiK wrote:which ME country befriends Israel? we have a quite a bit of Israeli components within LCA. no?
all GCC countries (countries with deep pockets) are deep friends of Israel.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

Ramanaji is talking like SaiK ..splitting hairs
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

that is when specialization takes ownership! split hairs on exceptions will lead to new thoughts and ideas. :)
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Bahrain debut for export-ready Tejas fighter

25 JANUARY, 2016 BY: CRAIG HOYLE BAHRAIN
India is ready to start seeking export buyers for its Tejas light combat aircraft (LCA), supporting its message by sending two of the fighters overseas for the first time.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... er-421182/

Speaking at the Bahrain International Air Show on 22 January, Dr S Christopher, director general of New Delhi’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), noted the Make in India policy also extends to seeking international sales of its equipment.

“Our aim is to ensure we have a quality product – not just for indigenous requirements, but also for export,” he says.

The first international deployment with the Tejas involved flying 970nm (1,800km) from Bengaluru to Jamnagar, before covering a further 650nm for a second refuelling stop in Muscat, Oman. The final leg was a 430nm transit to the show venue at Sakhir air base, near Manama. One aircraft took part in the daily flying display, with the deployment supported by around 50 personnel.

“In terms of interest, this is a good show for us,” says Christopher, who adds one nation in the region has requested information about the Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL)-built type. “We will have interested people coming to India in April,” he reveals.

“The LCA has been [made ready for production], and this year we will see an additional number of aircraft entering into [Indian air force] service,” says HAL chief executive R Kaveri Renganathan. “We are currently ramping up production – any export order, we would be ready to dovetail,” he adds.

Production of the Tejas will rise to seven units this year and eight in 2017, before doubling to 16 the following year. The latter advance will be made by building the Mk1A version of the fighter, which introduces numerous production and system enhancements over an initial batch of 20 jets. India plans to acquire 100 examples in the improved standard.

Also speaking at the show, Aeronautical Development Agency programme director C D Balaji notes more than 3,000 flights have been made by Tejas aircraft, and the air force has received its first production example. “It is a parallel process between test and evaluation and production,” he says, while adding: “there is a significant amount of maturity.”

Meanwhile head of flight test programme, Air Vice-Marshal J Chalapati, says work is under way to integrate a new advanced air-to-air missile with the Tejas. “There will be additional details within the next couple of months,” he adds. Russia’s Vympel R-73 weapon has already been cleared for use by the combat aircraft.

HAL’s Dhruv advanced light helicopter was also on show in Bahrain, with four examples flown by the Indian air force’s Sarang display team. The DRDO brought its indigenous airborne early warning and control system development of the Embraer ERJ-145 to the same event in 2014.
Bharadwaj
BRFite

Post by Bharadwaj »

Thanks.... It's much better than the live feed was in terms of showing the sheer agility.... The Instantaneous turn rate when exiting the vertical square and afterwards entering the horizontal loop is extraordinary. Not bad for a three legged cheetah :wink:
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

There was a GoPro type contraption behind the pilot seat. I think they will get someone to work on the HD version of video
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Bharadwaj wrote:
Thanks.... It's much better than the live feed was in terms of showing the sheer agility.... The Instantaneous turn rate when exiting the vertical square and afterwards entering the horizontal loop is extraordinary. Not bad for a three legged cheetah :wink:
Yes some aspects of these videos are much better than the Bahrain TV video. The latter had better close ups but a shaky camera kept losing sight of the aircraft.. The square loop is seen much better, and the "outside turn" and short radius turn are seen in a better perspective
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Why cant I see the last two videos
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Why cant I see the last two videos
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Asit P wrote:Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Personally I don't like pictures with watermark and hence I deliberately do not watermark any pic clicked by me. Tejas is a national pride and my amateurish pics of Tejas are for one and for all. Even if a single child, teen or a detractor develops a fascination for Tejas through my pics, I would believe that my objective has been met. That said, I also have high regards for those who watermark or copyright their pics (Many of them are journalists or photographers who make a living out of it).
You could upload them in Wikimedia commons with Creative Commons Share Alike license. That way your pics will go far and wide but they will credit you for your work.
Some Tejas pics can be found here.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:HAL_Tejas
salaam
BRFite

Post by salaam »

Dear fellow forum members. If somebody can provide links for all 3 days of the Tejas performance, I would be very grateful.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

day 3 is totally missing .. saturday's flying display ie
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

fanne wrote:Why cant I see the last two videos
I can see them but not the 1st one!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^I did see all of them earlier.. but there is nothing new you all have not seen in the previous pages.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

ramana wrote:
All generalizations are general. Or there is exception to every rule.

However generalizations and rules convey sense quickly.
All generalisations are dangerous (even this one)! :rotfl:
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Fanne, Singha - open the new window and right click, save the video as... and watch it on your video player.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

2nd day telecast was far better...from tee jaas to tejas !! :D
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

http://swarajyamag.com/biz/why-is-india ... ess-story/

Why Is India So Reluctant To Celebrate Its Tejas Success Story?

Dear Dr Anantha Krishnan M Sir, can't talk about MSM, since they are busy in other news story of high importance related to Idea of India and all :roll: but at least many of us are really proud of the performance of Tejas in Bahrain air show.

Like u wrote in your article

"It was a treat watching you. We are proud of you.
Take a bow " :)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

ans:

India is used to 'self-flagellation' culture since many decades now guided by mainly MSM and their anti-national pay-masters [this is vivid and true - check with VKS if you need more details, especially from his operation raahat].

MSM is filled with evils and anti-nationals. sorry, this is the truth. They are the Anti-Vikas gang!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Shaun wrote:2nd day telecast was far better...from tee jaas to tejas !! :D
Look for the 7-8 second time to reach top of loop at 5:17 to 5:24 - faster than ever before
https://youtu.be/VAb-IZqqoTM?t=311

The commentator confirms 8 G in square loop.

Min radius turn 350 meters at 160 kt/300 kmph
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Full-scale production of Light Combat Aircraft Tejas to begin in 2017

26 January 2016
http://www.airforce-technology.com/news ... 17-4793358
By 2020, HAL expects to supply 40 Mark I LCA aircraft to the IAF, which is expected to field approximately 14 LCA squadrons.

Between 2015 and 2015, HAL will produce six Tejas fighter aircraft . It plans to increase the production up to eight and 16 aircraft each year.
I can't believe someone could write something like this, let alone producing the 'tense' for jingos
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

shiv wrote: Min radius turn 350 meters at 160 kt/300 kmph
That is an important bit of information, isn't it. It tells us a few things about the sustained rate of turn.
1. The plane is pulling roughly 4Gs. It is elementary to calculate this centripetal acceleration = v^2/(r*g) Gs.
2. It is turning at 27.27 degrees per second, angular velocity = v/r radians. This is mind blogglingly fast. That is a complete turn in under 14 seconds!

P.S. I used r=175 mtrs. If I use r=350 mtrs
1. It would be pulling 2Gs, which is too low.
2. And turning at 13.65 degrees per second, again too low.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

indranilroy wrote:P.S. I used r=175 mtrs. If I use r=350 mtrs
1. It would be pulling 2Gs, which is too low.
2. And turning at 13.65 degrees per second, again too low.
That makes sense. I've spent the last ten minutes wondering why my calculations keep giving me 19.8 m/s^2.
sbhatia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sbhatia »

Sorry if posted earlier.liked the author view.
http://idrw.org/why-is-india-so-relucta ... ess-story/

God Forbid if something had happened in Bahrain paid media would have gone bezerk.
Below is the comment of one of the bloggers & i agree with him on some points:
Otherwise how on earth we can b so silly to not understand one of nature basic law everything evolves. Rome is not built in a day. I am again sorry most who mattered seems already bought. We have source code of the plane we can evolve it as per imagination. Sky is the limit but who cares. It should have been long back inducted in service. But who cares who is held responsible wat ever harm they do to country. At least we must appreciate PAF for inducting Jf17. Our Indian airforce dropped ROYAL But not in action in name only. Something is really fishy. Otherwise when the pilots were dying in hordes why why tejas was not inducted using vintage planes when even the pilots were openly saying its is most pilot friendly plane till to date in Iaf. Then what was they waiting for. Now it is often said that tejas systems were overenginered but we must say hats off to the developers that they developed a system which did not meet any serious accident otherwise iaf intellect would have killed the project in its infancy itself. Thank you team tejas to make us proud..... Let's begin a new Indian armed force based on navy. Hope
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

nileshjr wrote:@CM

^^ provided its put on a carefully chosen place on the a/c body where the local flow is aligned to the free stream wind direction in most of the situations. Any random location will not work. However its theoretically possible for an experience pilot to have developed his own mental correlation between the angle shown by such "tell tale" at some specific location and actual AoA. I'd imagine its more intuitive of sort than knowing accurate numerical value.
Thanks Nilesh...things are not as simple as they seem it seems...