Solar energy in India

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
KLP Dubey
BRFite

Re: Solar energy in India

Post by KLP Dubey »

A_Gupta wrote:http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... rough-2020
"India Boosts Solar-Rooftop Subsidy Eightfold Through 2020"
India increased the subsidy for fitting solar-rooftop power systems eightfold to 50 billion rupees ($753 million) in a bid to expand installations by a similar amount by 2020.

India’s installed rooftop capacity is 525 megawatts as of October, according to Bridge to India.
Couldn't find much information on this. Does anyone know if its just the total subsidy pool that has been expanded, or has the individual subsidy amount been increased as well ?

This is the latest info I know of as far as KL is concerned:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/k ... 867624.ece

Rs 90K subsidy for a 2 kW installation (about Rs 2L).
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

I read 30% subsidy in general category states, and 70% subsidy in special category states.

I think the subsidy pool has been enlarged, but the individual subsidy remains the same.

no subsidy for businesses for rooftop solar. They get accelerated depreciation etc
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5956cf62-a4b5 ... z3wFUuN6Ve

Investors look to India as the next solar power
High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5956cf62-a4b5 ... z3wbEQCLCa

In 2009, when I said that India would have two to three gigawatts [of solar energy] by 2015, people said ‘That’s not possible’,” says Inderpreet Wadhwa, founder and chief executive of Azure Power, one of the country’s biggest producers. “Today we have 5GW running.”Mr Wadhwa left a technology career in California after he came home to India on what was supposed to be a short personal trip eight years ago and saw the “huge” opportunities presented by the shortage of electricity.
He started with small solar plants for electricity-hungry districts and rooftop systems for companies to replace costly diesel generators.Mr Modi has championed solar power and helped launch a global solar alliance at the Paris climate summit to mobilise an attention-grabbing $1tn of funds worldwide by 2030.India itself, with current electricity grid capacity of less than 300 gigawatts, aims to increase its solar installations from below 5GW now to 100GW by 2022 — more than double the present solar capacity of China and Germany, the two biggest solar nations.The latest contract awards suggest that, in sunny India at least, solar power can compete head-on with coal in terms of price, albeit not in terms of 24-hour availability.SB Energy — a joint venture between Japan’s SoftBank (which has promised 20GW or $20bn of solar investment in India), Bharti Enterprises of India and Foxconn of Taiwan — last month won a reverse auction for a 25-year, 350MW project in Andhra Pradesh.
The price of the electricity to be sold, Rs4.63 per kilowatt hour, equalled the record-low winning bid of SunEdison, the struggling US group, for a 500MW project auctioned earlier in the same state.
That price, says Mr Wadhwa, is cheaper than for the power to be supplied by recently auctioned projects using imported coal. “Maybe another year, and you’ll be cheaper than new domestic coal projects as well,” he says, noting that Indian conglomerates with interests in coal are now among the active bidders for solar plants.
According to the US-based Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis, which promotes green power, investments of over $100bn have been announced for Indian renewable energy in the months since last February by companies and lenders from east Asia, Europe and India itself.“India is executing one of the most radical energy sector transformations ever undertaken, and this year [2015] has shown that the flow of finance is matching the ambition,” the IEEFA’s Tim Buckley said in November.Bridge to India, a consultancy, says some 9GW of solar projects are under development, portending “a massive jump in India’s total installed capacity” in 2016. BMI Research, part of Fitch, has raised its forecasts for solar projects in the coming years, projecting “solar capacity to reach nearly 45GW by 2024 — short of the government targets but a ninefold increase from current installed capacity levels”.For all the optimism among investors and suppliers — Ulrich Spiesshofer, who heads Swiss engineering group ABB, sees India’s “massive aspiration on renewable energy” as an opportunity for more equipment contracts — they will have to deal with two big challenges if they are to make profits.The first problem is the grid, which needs to be extended and modernised, especially if it has to handle sometimes volatile supplies of renewable energy. India’s grid currently can handle 272GW in all, of which less than 30GW is from renewable sources, “and there are already issues of evacuation [of power from the plants],” says Manish Shrivastava, a fellow at the Energy and Resources Institute, a think-tank.
If that is solved — and organisations such as the Asian Development Bank are investing heavily in grid improvement — investors face the question of whether bankrupt Indian state electricity distributors or even central institutions can be relied on to pay the agreed cost for a quarter of a century when prices are in constant decline. In Mr Modi’s home state of Gujarat, a solar pioneer, the state distribution company has even mounted a challenge against the pricing of a past agreement it signed itself.
Such issues are not unique to India — Spain enraged solar investors by retroactively cutting subsidised prices five years ago — and investors hope the reverse auction system applied to most contracts since 2010 is sufficiently robust and transparent to protect their interests.Arunabha Ghosh, chief executive of the Council on Energy, Environment & Water, a research group, says India is trying to achieve what Germany did to develop alternative energy over two decades, but in half the time.While many see the mission as a “leap of faith”, he reckons India can succeed, even if it reaches the 100GW mark a few years late. “The solar ambitions are definitely reachable,” he says.
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

:D :) :shock: This is ****ing incredible. I want to tell all those naysayers in the media who questioned Sun Edison's Rs 4.64 as being not feasible, su** it.

Solar power tariff at record low, drops to Rs 4.34 a unit
The solar power tariff fell to an all-time low, with Finland-based energy firm Fortum Finnsurya Energy quoting Rs 4.34 a unit to bag the mandate to set up a 70-mw solar plant under NTPC's Bhadla Solar Park tender.

"This (Rs 4.34 a unit) is the lowest solar tariff so far in India. This has happened because of confidence in the balancesheet of NTPC and solar parks that come with all clearances and confidence in the market," New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) Joint Secretary Tarun Kapoor told PTI.

In November last year, the solar power tariff had touched an all-time low of Rs 4.63 per unit following aggressive bidding by the US-based SunEdison, the world's biggest developer of renewable energy power plants.

NTPC bid out 420 mw in six blocks of 70 mw each, Kapoor said.

The other winners included Rising Sun Energy Pvt Ltd (two blocks for Rs 4.35 a unit), Solairedirect (two blocks for Rs 4.35 a unit) and Yarrow Infrastructure (one block for Rs 4.36), Kapoor said.
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

^^^
Only Yarrow is an indian company. The rest are US companies.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

so, what is the plan for generating 175 GW? wouldn't this need be for 24x7x365?
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Something that just hit me (might be obvious to others on this forum but wasn't to me until now): when I used to think of "adding power generation capacity", I always had in mind large plants which take years to commission and costs billions. So, the time from concept-to-delivery is measured in years.

Solar disrupts that on both aspects (a) Rapid time to deliver (b) Unit sizes can be small (even at household level)

So, solar has the capacity to rapidly change the power situation practically overnight! What Piyush Goyal has done in the coal sector is astounding, but it can go only so far (he has increased coal supply, reduced prices and maximized utilization of plants). Any quantum jump in power generation capacity needs new plants which will take time. Same with nuclear, hydro etc. Not so with solar.
member_28700
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28700 »

Well gradually as solar becomes more competitive against coal, new coal plants would likely not be setup as green field projects but extensions of other existing coal plants as a lot of those plants have excess land available. This not only reduces time to start production but also will keep coal somewhat competitive. The government has already started looking in this direction.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

All the naysayers should know that Cochin International Airport is the first airport in the WORLD, yes in the WORLD, to run on solar power.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-34421419

member_29325
BRFite

Post by member_29325 »

Solar power may be cheaper than coal in India by 2020
Headlines like these are misleading, since cost of generation is only one aspect, probably the dominant one for home use.

The other aspect is generating peak loads to run factories, manufacturing/industrial machinery, and even a computer lab with a few 100/1000 machines -- solar energy is pretty much useless when it comes to those domains. JMTs.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

You talk about being useless for computer labs? Did you read Cochin Airport is being powered by Solar energy? With more support and adoption, the prices will drop over time.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Once a grid is done extending from the NE to West, solar can give one hour more electricity. Maybe a "Solar grid" with countries in SE Asia.
Ultimately a global solar electrical grid...
The sun will never stop shining
member_29325
BRFite

Post by member_29325 »

swamyG wrote: You talk about being useless for computer labs? Did you read Cochin Airport is being powered by Solar energy? With more support and adoption, the prices will drop over time.
I have no idea how many computers are there in the Cochin ATC. Do you know approx figures?

I mention labs and such because they usually draw 100s/1000s of amperes 24/7 with no interruption, especially in an industrial setting where there are typically a few thousand PC-like devices running simultaneously. Granted with "cloud computing" you can localize such consumption to fewer places, but India has a long way to go before it gets there...maybe it will leapfrog somehow I don't know.

Ensuring uninterruptible power supply generating extremely high ampereage with solar energy is very hard given today's tech. There is a lot of work being done to reduce power consumption per machine, so maybe some day computer clusters can run off a solar grid and a UPS that can last for days if the sun does not shine (or wind does not blow) for long periods.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

I do not the specifications, but assuming Cochin Airport is not using it to power ATC (which I could be wrong), modern airports are energy hungry. Elevators, escalators, bright lighting, scores of shops sundry. The point is Solar energy is useful and effective in powering more of our needs. No point in trying to get it to power things that it should not power - but then those equipment would have backups.

Cochin has surplus energy and is banking the extra generate power with the state.
member_29325
BRFite

Post by member_29325 »

I think solar power can power escalators, lighting etc. easily, as I mentioned a couple of posts back -- just saying that in an industrial society it is not useful in high-load contexts.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Rent a Roof concept gaining grounds Good to read that Modi Sarkar is continuing its focus on Solar energy.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3883056 ... ortunitiesIndia becoming sunnier for solar opportunities[/url]
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

kvraghav wrote:^^^
Only Yarrow is an indian company. The rest are US companies.
Because US exim bank extend $$ credit on priority basis to US solar companies investing in India. Let them put in mid 3 Digit billions to Solarise india. 8)
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

SwamyG wrote:Rent a Roof concept gaining grounds Good to read that Modi Sarkar is continuing its focus on Solar energy.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3883056 ... ortunitiesIndia becoming sunnier for solar opportunities[/url]
In TN, the corrupt administration has realised that roof top solar with negative metering sounds the death knell for their money making opportunity. It is simple. A unit of energy not billed (negative metring) is an unit of energy on which commissions can not be earned. Even after all the monies owed to banks the system needs HT and high value LT consumers in residential and commercial categories pay on an average Rs 6 per unit to keep the money making operation going. The Centre will have to drag TN kicking and screaming to fall in line on the solar mission project.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

One of my friends is interested and he already has land ready for it. He is ok even to sell the land if possible. But no one seems to be interested in his project. Is there any reason for it?
nandakumar
BRFite

Post by nandakumar »

Yagnasri
The Tamilnadu Energy Development Authority is the nodal agency for processing applications for Solar projects. But the TANGEDCO, the distribution arm of the State Elec utility is the approving agency. It simply sits on it. The reason? The powers that be want the entire central and state subsidy to be given as kickback. Now, without subsidy, the project is not viable. So no movement on the ground. At least people in the know tell me.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

so, what is the current cost of establishing a 5KVA roof top setup for homes?
amritk
BRFite

Post by amritk »

About $10,000/INR6.5 lakh would be a good guess (i.e. $2/watt of peak installed capacity). My background is on the technology and manufacturing side and I can tell you that decent quality China panels are sold at about $0.55/W, by container load (a few hundred kW) CIF any port in the world, with delivery 6 months out. Made in USA would be maybe $0.70/W. Spot prices (i.e. I need it now) are always higher. Inverters are about $0.25/watt for small residential sizes (and well under $0.10 per watt for utility sizes). Together, those are the majority of the hardware costs at wholesale level (double it for residential level). Rest is wiring, switchgear, mounting hardware, and of course, labour and permitting as applicable.

I can tell you that in the US, I could install a system on my house today for $1.50 per watt (i.e. $7,500 for a 5kW system) not counting my own labour, jhanjhat filing permitting and grid connection paperwork, etc. I did install a system a few years ago but it was closer to $3/watt at that time, again, with my own labour. Keep in mind the grid here is your battery, so you don't spend on batteries, etc.

5kW is a large system for a house, by the way.
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

5KW for a house? Considering that you only get 5-6 hours of usable sunlight and the average home in US uses 85 kwh to 100 kwh per day, 5kw ain't gonna cut it. You need 12 kw system with a 70 kwh battery if you wish to avoid paying electricity of any kind.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

amritk: Nice figures there. Can you tell me how well it would work say middle of Illinois? My guess is that NV/AZ/NM/Southern CA/TX/FL/NC/SC might be better than IL/Iowa/MN. Is it worth it assuming that I am going to stay here say for another 10 years.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

looks like all nations are heading space to capture solar energy more efficiently.

Space solar: The global race to tap the sun’s energy from orbit
https://www.newscientist.com/article/20 ... from-orbit

amritk
BRFite

Post by amritk »

Vayu tuvan, you can try NREL PVWATTS. NREL SAM is also very good but needs more time to understand and set up.

Hitesh, I think you are high by a factor of 3: https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=97&t=3

But you are right, 100% independent and available systems are very expensive (and wasteful).
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

That average number is skewed because it includes apartment and multiple family dwellings as part of the equation. They need to be excluded out to accurately gauge the size of the kwh generation need.

My average consumption is around 2150 kwh per month and i live in a 3000 sq ft house with 3-4 adults and I use a high efficiency AC unit and power saving measures, i.e., led lights and smart thermostat, etc. Based on my average and to compensate for the hot days and excessive humidity (I live in South Florida), I use a daily average of 73 kwh. On the hot days and months, I use about 100 kwh on average. Based on the fact that there are only about 5-6 usable sunlight, to get 100 kwh for the day, I would require a system capable of generating 20 kw per hour to meet my power consumption demands. If I want to run totally off the grid, I would require 150-200 kwh battery to store the energy for the next day and meter it out to meet my power consumption and to deal with any weather preventing solar power. Since Tesla Powerwall 10 kwh for for $3500 and I would require 15-20 I am looking at $52,500 - $70k just for the battery and $40k for the 20 kw system including panels and inverters. That is $95k to $115k cost for such a system. And it doesn't last for more than 10 years.

Unless somebody can come up with better prices, solar power may not be feasible.
amritk
BRFite

Post by amritk »

hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

amritk wrote:Global and Top 4 solar installations:

http://c1cleantechnicacom.wpengine.netd ... com-19.png
http://c1cleantechnicacom.wpengine.netd ... com-20.png

65GW total, ~3-4GW in India for 2016.

Cumulative numbers:
http://c1cleantechnicacom.wpengine.netd ... GTM-39.jpg
I read somewhere (a graphic on twitter I think) that it will be around 10GW for India this year.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 959457.cms
India France launch 1 trillion potential solar programme for developing countries
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

I am interested in using solar energy in a commercial property near Shimla. Casual search on net showed that the government provides some subsidies, but anecdotes for random people say that it's really hard to get them. Any idea or information about it ?
M Joshi
BRFite

Post by M Joshi »

jamwal wrote:I am interested in using solar energy in a commercial property near Shimla. Casual search on net showed that the government provides some subsidies, but anecdotes for random people say that it's really hard to get them. Any idea or information about it ?
For HP you've to get in touch with the Solar's nodal agency which is HIMURJA. Their office is in Shimla. Any subsidy will be covered under HP solar Policy launched in Jan this year. As per my last discussion with HIMURJA officials there are not much subsidies for commercial establishments. Good subsidies are available under "Farmer" & "Unemployed Youth" category. Even the cases sent under these categories to Central Govt. for subsidy availment are yet to get permission. You may get details here http://himurja.nic.in/spprt16.html?dept ... &rti_cd=16
I was looking to put up a 70KW solar plant on my factory's rooftop but with high capital costs & no subsidy it's not making good financial sense as of now. Also I wonder in what universe farmers & unemployed youth will be able to set up solar parks to avail subsidy. Dont know what goes through our babus heads.
member_28985
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28985 »

How much Solar panels do India manufacture? Do we import most of the solar panels that we are installing?
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

I was in Rajasthan recently and was struck by the vast windfarms everywhere. I was left wondering: how did Rajasthan end up with so much wind power, but very little solar? It's a desert! Is this the result of goerment subsidies incentivizing the state to invest in wind even when solar makes more sense?

Just wondering what is ouir collective BR-ites take on this.
alexis
BRFite

Post by alexis »

^^
3 factors:
1. Good tariff (> Rs.5/unit)
2. Less red tape
3. Ample availability of land
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

After Gujarat, Punjab and Andhra Pradesh to put solar panels on canals to boost green power
NEW DELHI: Punjab and Andhra Pradesh have embraced an innovative project implemented in Gujarat by Narendra Modi as chief minister to cover the Narmada Canal with solar panels as the two states look to boost solar power generation. While Punjab has commissioned two projects to install solar panels on the Sidhwan Branch Canal and Ghaggar Branch Canal at a cost of Rs 51 crore, Andhra Pradesh has chosen the Losari Canal and the Polavaram Right main canal in West Godavari district.

The 400 kW project executed by Andhra Pradesh on a 1.4 km stretch of the Losari Canal within eight months last year is already providing clean power to five villages and generating 1.46 mega units per year of green energy, prompting commissioning of another 600 kW project on the same stretch last month.

Punjab, with a 9,090 km canal irrigation network, has bigger plans and believes it has scope for more than 1,500 mw for installation of solar canal projects. The state has commissioned two 2.5 mw projects each on its Sidhwan Branch Canal near Ludhiana and Ghaggar Branch Canal near Patiala, which are expected to generate 15 lakh units per mw each in a year.

Officials said Punjab has improvised the project as the width of its canals varies from 27 metres to 70 metres, higher than that in Gujarat, where the canal width is 10-20 metres, and with higher volume of water flows calling for design innovations. The Gujarat experience was that generation of energy for same capacity of a solar panel was higher in a canal top solar plant than in a plant erected on the ground, on account of lower temperature of panels due to the cooling effect of the water beneath.

Further, the shadowing effect of the solar panels retarded the growth of algae in the water, which reduced clogging in pumping stations and irrigation pumps and also a 1mw plant saved 9 million litres of water from evaporation. The Gujarat project is among the seven award-winning initiatives that have been comprehensively replicated by other states.
Last edited by JTull on 03 May 2016 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Cabinet approves 200 mw solar project at Jetsar in Rajasthan
The Cabinet approved a proposal to provide 400 hectares of barren land at Central State Farm (CSF), Jetsar in Rajasthan for setting up of more than 200 mw solar power plant.

"The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval for utilisation of 400 hectares of un-cultivable farm land at the Central State Farm (CSF), Jetsar in Sri Ganganagar District, Rajasthan for setting up of a solar Power Plant of capacity exceeding 200 mw," an official statement said.

The land is in the possession of National Seeds Corporation (NSC), a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) under the administrative control of the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, the statement added.

The solar power plant will be set up by a CPSE, which would be selected through negotiation.

NSC will provide 400 hectares of un-cultivable land, out of the 5394 hectares under its possession to the identified CPSE, which will bear the costs relating to the installation of the Solar Power Plant.

The selected CPSE will have to do tariff based competitive bidding for the project. It will be allowed to utilise the land for the installation of a solar power plant over a contract period of 25 years, which may be extended on mutually agreed terms and conditions, after which the entire plant will be surrendered to the NSC on as is where is basis.

The project, by utilising un-cultivable land for a solar power project, will yield revenue for NSC and will also generate clean energy for the nation, it added.
member_28985
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28985 »

I am sorry, I have to ask again. How much solar panels are manufactured in India? Do we just keep importing Chinese panels and installing them.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ashbhee wrote:I am sorry, I have to ask again. How much solar panels are manufactured in India? Do we just keep importing Chinese panels and installing them.
Why not take the initiative to find out for yourself instead of repeatedly asking ?