India-US Relations : News and Discussion- II

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US Relations : News and Discussion- II

Post by member_22733 »

LokeshC's maxim (well.. not really mine, but it has worked wonders for ISRO and BARC) : If you deny us tech and empower our enemies, you are forcing us to develop the same tech you deny us, thereby making yourself irrelevant.

Unkil wont be irrelevant in the near future. But, they sure are moving in that direction at a determined pace of a heat seeking mijjile.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

rgosain wrote:
The fault here is India's. In 2014, just after the election, I wrote on this very forum, that Modi should have demanded the resignation of Kerry as a precondition for visiting the USA. Kerry as a former chairman of the senate foreign relations committee was the driving force in the ban on Modi. It wouldn't have mattered in the end to USA -India relations, because the USA always finds a way to supply lethal aid free of charge to Pakistan, in order to balance India.
If this transfer goes through, then it will demonstrate clearly that the state department is unfit to conduct relations with India. A clinton admin with Huma Abeidi at the helm will be an absolute disaster and a triumph for the Pak-Saudi-Prc nexuses. Don't be surprised to see the Buddha smiling again..
Not so easy. You really think US will be shivering in their pants at the threat of ModiJi not visiting USA? Give me a break. But I do agree that he went a little too fast to make up with US after what they did to us Hindus by humiliating him as a proxy during the height of the so called GW(F)OT (F: fraud).

Given the huge power disparity between US and India, given India's need for US investment, high-tech etc, given Indian people's obsession to migrate to US, given the magnetic attraction middle class Indians have towards US pop/consumerist culture, given the craving many Indians have for US (and other western countries' recognition), and above all, given the sheer number of Indian traitors in collusion with Americans to portray Hindu civilization as oppressive, the list goes on; I do not know what leverage India can bring to the table to force US to re-think its policies. One thing I could think of would be to make it hard for US to sell high-tech weapons to India, but then again, India wants those weapons too, so is it that much of leverage?
Last edited by CRamS on 28 Feb 2016 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

because the USA always finds a way to supply lethal aid free of charge to Pakistan, in order to balance India.
The talk of providing F-16s to fight militants has also been around for a while though this is not novel either.

And this is also why much more thought should have been put in not contributing to projects like MTA, PAK-FA/FGFA, IL-476 right from the beginning, all of which have began to give results.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

I do not know what leverage India can bring to the table to force US to re-think its policies.
At the moment, very, very little. India needs funds to develop. Need to gulp and build. After putting on weight, then it can be thrown around.

India needs to spend time and funds on India. And not waste time on outsiders.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

NRao, I agree. Problem though is that even if someone like ModiJi or whoever nationalist wants to show the cold shoulder to US, man can you imagine US's 5th columnists in India go on overdrive: BJP Hindu fascists have destroyed India US strategic partnership will the propaganda. Comically, Hindu nationalists will be painted as bigoted zombies shunning the saintly west. Like what we are witnessing on the JNU and RV sagas, truth will be the first casualty.

Yes, indeed this will be the narrative that will unfold. But anyway, we are far from that, I don't think any party in India, knowing India's abject limitations will countenance any such move. Thats exactly what US knows and hence its mischief to keep India off balance using TSP. But I hope and pray that at least US mischief will be give air time and debated in India instead of burying it under the carpet. At least India can make US a tad uncomfortable on the PR front.
member_29294
BRFite

Post by member_29294 »

Such events will only increase in frequency if Hilary is elected. It is Liberals who support Pakistan and Jihadists the most, perceiving them to be 'oppressed' even as they chop off heads and commit atrocities daily.

Hilary also has an older 'Cold War' era mentality to her. She is an interventionist that will do her best to try and get rid of Modi again and attempt to destroy India from within like her predecessors tried and failed to do.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... n=COLUMBIA

Bengal village teen bags top Nasa scholarship
KOLKATA: Eighteen-year-old Sataparna Mukherjee, a Class 12 student from a village around 30km from Kolkata, has been selected by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) for its prestigious Goddard Internship Programme under the Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS). She is among five scholars chosen from across the world for this programme.Nasa's GIP selects five exceptional individuals from across the world every year and funds their entire education after school.
Sataparna, who will appear for her school-leaving exams this year from St Judes School, Madhyamgram, in Kamduni - it gained notoriety for a brutal gangrape in 2013 - will be at Oxford University, where she she will pursue graduation, post-graduation and PhD (as Nasa faculty) in aerospace engineering at its London Astrobiology Centre.Sataparna told TOI, "It all started in May last year when I was a member of a group on a social networking site where there were many members, including some scientists. One day I shared some of my thoughts on 'Black Hole Theory', and one of the members of this group gave me Nasa's official website and told me to post my findings, which I did." Sataparna's paper on Black Hole Theory, and how this could be used to create a 'Time Machine', was hugely appreciated. "I am very happy to get this opportunity where I will also work as a researcher at the Nasa centre in London," she said.Pulak Chakraborty, a professor of English at the Nabagram Hiralapal College, who's acting as Sataparna's referee at Oxford, said, "She is a very good student and her ability should not be judged through her marks alone. She is original, and that has made her attain so much."
"She is going on August 17," said Pradip. "Though every cost is borne by the university and Nasa, we will arrange for the passage money, which is quite high. I am thinking of taking a loan because I don't want to let this opportunity go," he said.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Jhujar, Good for the girl.
However strange that NASA would fund anything in UK.
GISS is at Columbia Uty in New York.

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/about/

I hope the parents are not being scammed.

Imperial College has the astrobiology department in London.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

I hope its not a big scam. Smells like it unfortunately.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Jhujar wrote:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... n=COLUMBIA

Bengal village teen bags top Nasa scholarship
KOLKATA: Eighteen-year-old Sataparna Mukherjee, a Class 12 student from a village around 30km from Kolkata, has been selected by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) for its prestigious Goddard Internship Programme under the Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS). She is among five scholars chosen from across the world for this programme.Nasa's GIP selects five exceptional individuals from across the world every year and funds their entire education after school.
Sataparna, who will appear for her school-leaving exams this year from St Judes School, Madhyamgram, in Kamduni - it gained notoriety for a brutal gangrape in 2013 - will be at Oxford University, where she she will pursue graduation, post-graduation and PhD (as Nasa faculty) in aerospace engineering at its London Astrobiology Centre.Sataparna told TOI, "It all started in May last year when I was a member of a group on a social networking site where there were many members, including some scientists. One day I shared some of my thoughts on 'Black Hole Theory', and one of the members of this group gave me Nasa's official website and told me to post my findings, which I did." Sataparna's paper on Black Hole Theory, and how this could be used to create a 'Time Machine', was hugely appreciated. "I am very happy to get this opportunity where I will also work as a researcher at the Nasa centre in London," she said.Pulak Chakraborty, a professor of English at the Nabagram Hiralapal College, who's acting as Sataparna's referee at Oxford, said, "She is a very good student and her ability should not be judged through her marks alone. She is original, and that has made her attain so much."
"She is going on August 17," said Pradip. "Though every cost is borne by the university and Nasa, we will arrange for the passage money, which is quite high. I am thinking of taking a loan because I don't want to let this opportunity go," he said.
Smells like a scam just like the previous 'NASA scholarship holder' 2-3 years ago. This comment was :rotfl:
Pavitra Thakur•27•Member •Doha, Qatar•22 hours ago
Congrats sataprna hope to become our new William from bengol n filling the gap of Kampala chawla void n inpiration of thousand daughters n sister
Yours Dada pavitra k thakur.God bless
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

SSridhar wrote:After having resisted CISMOA & LSA for a decade, it is only a matter of time now. Let us not even get into whether they are good or bad which is a separate discussion.
The Modi govt seems to be all for it. This is going ruffle quite a feathers here on BRF.

India, U.S. closer to pact to share military logistics: officials
NEW DELHI/WASHINGTON | BY SANJEEV MIGLANI AND DAVID BRUNNSTROM

Sunday, February 28, 2016
An officer (R) of Indian Air Force (IAF) Special Forces "Garuds" talks with a U.S. Air force "Special Operation Forces" officer during 'Cope-India-09', a joint exercise between the IAF and the U.S. Air Force in the northern city of Agra, India, in this October 19, 2009 file photo. REUTERS/Adnan Abidi

India and the United States are closing in on an agreement to share military logistics after 12 years of talks, officials said, a sign of strengthening defense ties between the countries as China becomes increasingly assertive.

The United States has emerged as India's top arms source after years of dominance by Russia, and holds more joint exercises with it than any other country.

It is in talks with New Delhi to help build its largest aircraft carrier in the biggest military collaboration to date, a move that will bolster the Indian navy's strength as China expands its reach in the Indian Ocean.

After years of foot-dragging by previous governments over fears that the logistics agreement would draw India into a binding commitment to support the United States in war, Prime Minister Narendra Modi's administration has signaled a desire to move ahead with the Logistics Support Agreement (LSA).

That would allow the two militaries to use each other's land, air and naval bases for resupplies, repair and rest, officials said.

Admiral Harry Harris, head of the U.S. Navy's Pacific Command, said the two sides were working on the LSA, another agreement called the CISMOA for secure communications when the militaries operate together, and a third on exchange of topographical, nautical, and aeronautical data.

"We have not gotten to the point of signing them with India, but I think we're close," Harris, due in India this week, told the U.S. House Armed Services Committee on Wednesday.

The progress comes as the countries consider joint maritime patrols that a U.S. official said could include the South China Sea, where China is locked in a territorial dispute with Vietnam, the Philippines and Taiwan among others.

Both sides, though, said there were no immediate plans for such patrols, which drew strong condemnation from Beijing.

MAIN HURDLE CLEARED

An Indian government official said the main impediment to signing the LSA had been cleared, after Washington gave an assurance that New Delhi was not bound by it if the U.S. went to war with a friendly country or undertook any other unilateral action that New Delhi did not support.

"It has been clarified that it will be done on a case-to-case basis; it's not automatic that either side will get access to facilities in the case of war," the official familiar with the negotiations said.

Asked whether China was concerned such cooperation was actually aimed at Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said: "We hope the relevant cooperation is beneficial to regional peace and cooperation and should not be aimed at the interests of third parties."

India's previous center-left government was worried the agreements would undermine India's strategic autonomy and that it would draw it into an undeclared military alliance with the United States.

Concerns linger over the proposed communications agreement, with some branches of the military including the air force fearing it would allow the United States to access their communications network.

U.S. officials said they hoped that once the logistics agreement was signed, the others would follow.

A U.S. defense industry source engaged in business in India said there were expectations the LSA could be sealed by the time U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter visited New Delhi in April.

The source said Modi's office was directly involved in the matter and actively considering the agreements as a key for enhanced cooperation.

India has been alarmed by Chinese naval forays into the Indian Ocean and its involvement in maritime infrastructure on island nations that it traditionally considered its back yard.

It has moved to shore up naval forces and build defense ties with Japan and Vietnam, besides the United States.

"There is growing convergence between Obama's Asia pivot and Modi's Act East policy," said Saroj Bishoyi, an expert on the proposed India-U.S. collaboration at the government-funded Institute for Defense Studies and Analyses in New Delhi.

"The LSA currently appears to be a doable agreement."

(Additional reporting by Ben Blanchard in BEIJING; Writing by Sanjeev Miglani; Editing by Mike Collett-White)
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

34 US lawmakers express concerns over violence against minorities, write to Modi
In a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, 34 US lawmakers have expressed “grave concerns” over “increasing intolerance and violence” against members of minority communities in India.

“Our strong support of this partnership (India-US partnership) encourages us to relay our grave concerns about the increasing intolerance and violence members of India’s religious minority communities experience,” said the lawmakers in a letter sent Friday.

“We urge your government to take immediate steps to ensure that the fundamental rights of religious minorities are protected and that the perpetrators of violence are held to account.”

The letter released by The Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission, a bipartisan caucus of the House of Representatives, was signed by eight senators and 26 members of the House, from both parties.

It refers to a June 2014 ban on “non-Hindu religious propaganda, prayers, and speeches” in their communities imposed by 50 village councils in Bastar, Chattisgarh, which it says has effectively “criminalized the practice of Christianity for an estimated 300 Christian families in the region”.

The letter then said the “nearly country-wide beef ban is increasing tensions and encouraging vigilante violence against the Indian Muslim community”. And mentioned killings of Mohammed Hasmat Ali in Manipur and Mohammed Saif in Uttar Pradesh.

It went on to cite the death of two Sikh men in October during protests over the desecration of the religion’s holy book, Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Applauding the prime minister’s February 2014 statement that the government was committed to “ensure that there is complete freedom of faith... and not allow any religious group, belonging to the majority or the minority, to incite hatred against others,” the lawmakers said, “We urge you to turn these words into action.”
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

As a first step, rehabilitate Hindu minority in Kashmir by dissolving 370 and ban Church meddling in politics in the north east to protect minority Hindus there.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Why don't they write to Saudis, Chinese and ISIS , Al-Nusra ,pakis , aussies and look within too ?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ So? Where are the Aussies and 'within' asked by Chinmayanand-ji? I will add Europe, UK and Canada as well. And FYI, the USCRIF's mandate does not apply to 'within' the US. They are already free, presumably :rotfl:

I, for one, will rephrase Chinmayanand-ji's question as the following: what business is it of the US Congress to write to anyone, least of all India about their internal freedoms? By asking the question in his words, we are tacitly admitting the US *can* write to us about these things, provided they write to a few bottom-of-the-barrel cases as well.

The std. BRF response these days for such questions is "oh they are sooper pawah, that's how all sooper pawahs do it, and anyway the US questions others like SA or Pakistan, so they are being fair onlee". I am not sure what is your stance about this Viv S-ji, but your posting only a few links without additional commentary indicates you are saying the same (happy to be corrected). Such statements ignore the subtle equal-equal between India and countries like SA, whose freedoms I don't need to speak about. And it does not mean we should accept such gratuitous interference.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Viv S wrote:
SSridhar wrote:After having resisted CISMOA & LSA for a decade, it is only a matter of time now. Let us not even get into whether they are good or bad which is a separate discussion.
The Modi govt seems to be all for it. This is going ruffle quite a feathers here on BRF.
Count me in! I don't see what benefits we will derive from this - can you, SSridhar sir or someone in the know enumerate? I am genuinely asking, in case there are things I don't know of.

As of now, it appears to me that this will make it easy for US assets to use Indian facilities more frequently and openly, with a presumably reciprocal arrangement built in. Question is, what are the places we can expect reciprocity? Diego Garcia? Bahrain? San Diego? Norfolk? We have no regular business in the latter 2 locations, so we won't be using them much, if at all (not talking about joint exercises). Diego Garcia and Bahrain don't really count - they are close to our littoral, and we have similar arrangements of our own (Muscat, Oman, Nha Trang, Vietnam, Mauritius, etc.)

Whereas the US assets will now have legitimate business in Mumbai, Karwar, Kochi, Visakhapatnam, Chennai, Port Blair, etc. Which means, they get regular access to our mainland bases, whereas we practically get access to their forward locations only, as their mainland is far outside our operational areas. Seems to be a one-way street to me.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

I have to ask this somewhere -- why has each government formed in the new century been such a disaster for defense? Was there a project formed to control these matters in the new century after 98-99 events? Its clearly not an accident.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Rahul M wrote:neither. on that note, please continue in one of the US threads.
The question was not which President would be good for India, just "better". On this thread, the opinion of the BRFites on the issue is sadly not quantifiable, something that can help Indians in USA reach a considered decision on whom to support and vote for.

Anyway, as the moderators deem fit!
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

India, U.S. closer to pact to share military logistics: officials
This is just about LCA, right? Something that started in 2006 (or so). India today is not the one from 2006. Moving forward, India herself will benefit, with some exceptions (which Modi seems to be dealing with). Especially keeping some pirates out of the IOR.

As of now, it appears to me that this will make it easy for US assets to use Indian facilities more frequently and openly, with a presumably reciprocal arrangement built in. Question is, what are the places we can expect reciprocity? Diego Garcia? Bahrain? San Diego? Norfolk? We have no regular business in the latter 2 locations, so we won't be using them much, if at all (not talking about joint exercises). Diego Garcia and Bahrain don't really count - they are close to our littoral, and we have similar arrangements of our own (Muscat, Oman, Nha Trang, Vietnam, Mauritius, etc.)
I think India has provided facilities in Kochi - for some time now.

India can expect anywhere - Okinawa, Hawaii, Djibouti, Kuwait, high seas, etc. Anywhere there is a US presence.
what business is it of the US Congress to write to anyone, least of all India about their internal freedoms?
It is intrusive.

However, the US Congress is one of the three branches and does have that authority within the US system. And they do do such things when they feel the other branch (Prez, SD and ambies) have a diff agenda. There is another component to all this - various fragments within each of these branches - SD has a "desk", hyphens, etc, well, so does the US Congress - there are pro and anti India, then of course religious factions, etc.

And, none of this things are present in other nations, so that is another component one has to deal with.

Not easy to explain away "intrusive".
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

arshyam wrote:^^ So? Where are the Aussies and 'within' asked by Chinmayanand-ji? I will add Europe, UK and Canada as well. And FYI, the USCRIF's mandate does not apply to 'within' the US. They are already free, presumably :rotfl:
Australia.
U.K.
Canada

Issues regarding religious freedom are handled less superficially on the domestic front, involving the federal & state executive, federal & state supreme courts, state legislatures, media, etc. with the prominent dispute mostly regarding limits of secularism associated with state funded initiatives (school prayer & contraceptives for example) and (in recent years) Islamophobia.
I, for one, will rephrase Chinmayanand-ji's question as the following: what business is it of the US Congress to write to anyone, least of all India about their internal freedoms? By asking the question in his words, we are tacitly admitting the US *can* write to us about these things, provided they write to a few bottom-of-the-barrel cases as well.
What business is ours how Hinduism is treated in Russia? I don't know, there isn't a fixed set of diplomatic norms on what degree of commentary is permissible on the internal affairs of a foreign country. We can 'retaliate' with a our own report on International Religious Freedom if we're that perturbed by it. (I vaguely remember China similarly responding with a human rights report on the USA.)
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Is USA a secular country? An American Pie fanboy won't push for exemption of non-existing minority education institutes from RTE kind of law as constitutionaly valid, for example. So how is USA a secular country?

Every time secularism of USA is to be discussed, vague answers are all that is presented.

And what about NATO member Turkey or non-NATO allie Pakistan.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

arshyam wrote:The std. BRF response these days for such questions is "oh they are sooper pawah, that's how all sooper pawahs do it, and anyway the US questions others like SA or Pakistan, so they are being fair onlee". I am not sure what is your stance about this Viv S-ji, but your posting only a few links without additional commentary indicates you are saying the same (happy to be corrected). Such statements ignore the subtle equal-equal between India and countries like SA, whose freedoms I don't need to speak about. And it does not mean we should accept such gratuitous interference.
Unfortunately, that 'super power' explanation is true even if it riles us. But, we don't need to be a super power to produce a counter report about racism in the US, the police brutalities there etc. I recall Mahathir Mohammed producing those reports. But, there is no unity within India for such a response. Imagine the MEA of this BJP government producing such a report and the furious reaction that would follow even from the Communists! The leftist media, those self-righteous misguided Indians who think that they have to be always neutral even if it goes against our country's interests, the Dalit leaders, the opposition parties etc would be instantly up in arms! Nobody in the US criticizes the US Agency for its duplicity in producing such a report when their own house is burning. Even GoI objecting to the USCRIF report would invite a fusillade from the anti-nationals whocan't see the reasoning behind such an objection. On the other hand, US intellectuals like Noam Chomsky don't bring out the fallacy, even if they write seriously about racism in their own land, because they know that USCRIF reports are needed in the interests of the US.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

With the US pres election in full flow,we should have a dedicated td for the same.
Here's a rearguard action from the republican establishment,aim:
"Stop Trump at any cost!"
Open Letter on Donald Trump from GOP National Security Leaders
WOTR Staff
March 2, 2016

We the undersigned, members of the Republican national security community, represent a broad spectrum of opinion on America’s role in the world and what is necessary to keep us safe and prosperous. We have disagreed with one another on many issues, including the Iraq war and intervention in Syria. But we are united in our opposition to a Donald Trump presidency. Recognizing as we do, the conditions in American politics that have contributed to his popularity, we nonetheless are obligated to state our core objections clearly:

His vision of American influence and power in the world is wildly inconsistent and unmoored in principle. He swings from isolationism to military adventurism within the space of one sentence.

His advocacy for aggressively waging trade wars is a recipe for economic disaster in a globally connected world.
His embrace of the expansive use of torture is inexcusable.

His hateful, anti-Muslim rhetoric undercuts the seriousness of combatting Islamic radicalism by alienating partners in the Islamic world making significant contributions to the effort. Furthermore, it endangers the safety and Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms of American Muslims.

Controlling our border and preventing illegal immigration is a serious issue, but his insistence that Mexico will fund a wall on the southern border inflames unhelpful passions, and rests on an utter misreading of, and contempt for, our southern neighbor.

Similarly, his insistence that close allies such as Japan must pay vast sums for protection is the sentiment of a racketeer, not the leader of the alliances that have served us so well since World War II.

His admiration for foreign dictators such as Vladimir Putin is unacceptable for the leader of the world’s greatest democracy.
:rotfl:

He is fundamentally dishonest. Evidence of this includes his attempts to deny positions he has unquestionably taken in the past, including on the 2003 Iraq war and the 2011 Libyan conflict. We accept that views evolve over time, but this is simply misrepresentation.

His equation of business acumen with foreign policy experience is false. Not all lethal conflicts can be resolved as a real estate deal might, and there is no recourse to bankruptcy court in international affairs.

Mr. Trump’s own statements lead us to conclude that as president, he would use the authority of his office to act in ways that make America less safe, and which would diminish our standing in the world. Furthermore, his expansive view of how presidential power should be wielded against his detractors poses a distinct threat to civil liberty in the United States. Therefore, as committed and loyal Republicans, we are unable to support a Party ticket with Mr. Trump at its head. We commit ourselves to working energetically to prevent the election of someone so utterly unfitted to the office.

David Adesnik
Michael Auslin
Robert D. Blackwill
Daniel A. Blumenthal
Max Boot
Michael Chertoff
Patrick Chovanec
Eliot A. Cohen
Carrie Cordero
Patrick M. Cronin
Seth Cropsey
Tom Donnelly
Daniel Drezner
Colin Dueck
Eric Edelman
Richard A. Falkenrath
Peter D. Feaver
Aaron Friedberg
Jeffrey Gedmin
Christopher J. Griffin
Mary R. Habeck
Rebeccah Heinrichs
William C. Inboden
Jamil N. Jaffer
Robert G. Joseph
Robert Kagan
David Kramer
Matthew Kroenig
Frank Lavin
Philip I. Levy

Mary Beth Long
Matthew McCabe
Bryan McGrath
Paul D. Miller
Lester Munson
Andrew S. Natsios
Michael Noonan
John Noonan
Roger F. Noriega
Robert T. Osterhaler
Everett Pyatt
Martha T. Rainville
Stephen Rodriguez
Daniel F. Runde
Richard L. Russell
Kori Schake
Randy Scheunemann
Gary J. Schmitt
Kalev I. Sepp
David R. Shedd
Kristen Silverberg
Michael Singh
Ray Takeyh
William H. Tobey
Frances F. Townsend
Jan Van Tol
Dov S. Zakheim
Roger Zakheim
Philip Zelikow
Robert B. Zoellick

The statement above was coordinated by Dr. Eliot A. Cohen, former Counselor of the Department of State (2007–8) and Bryan McGrath, Managing Director of The FerryBridge Group, a defense consultancy. They encourage other members of the Republican foreign policy and national security communities wishing to sign the declaration to contact them.
Wonderful missive from the "honest,clean,incorruptible,peacemongers" of the GOP!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 06941.html
Why Donald Trump's opponents should be very worried by his 'presidential' Super Tuesday victory speech
Donald Trump is dead. Long live 'Trump 2.0'
Adam Withnall

Donald Trump stepped up to the podium in Florida at the end of Super Tuesday knowing almost nothing can stop him being named the Republican candidate for the presidency – and gave his most humble and understated performance of the campaign so far.

With all the results now in from the 12 states casting votes on Tuesday, the billionaire businessman has won seven, a comfortable victory which has the added bonus – for him at least – of keeping the opposition to him within the party divided.

Mr Trump addressed his supporters in a victory speech at his luxurious Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, with most attention on social media going to the seemingly pained expression of the man introducing him, New Jersey governor Chris Christie.

For those concerned about the prospect of a Trump presidency, the Republican establishment included, the focus should have been on the former rival’s words: “Tonight is the beginning of Donald Trump bringing the Republican party together.”

Viewers called Mr Trump’s speech “polite”, “cordial” and “humble” – words even his most ardent supporters would not have attributed to a man who has built his campaign on controversy and showmanship.

And even on MSNBC, anchor Brian Williams said Mr Trump looked “presidential” in his new form.

It was a very different Donald Trump last night. More relaxed and less aggressive. Trump 2.0 if you will. Interesting to see if it lasts.
— The Rainmaker (@ManLikeSandy) March 2, 2016

Trump's speech tonight is gracious and humble. It's exactly what he needed to do. Wow.
— Matthew Boyle (@mboyle1) March 2, 2016

After Mr Christie’s endorsement and introduction, the Apprentice host set the tone for his speech by extending conciliatory words towards rivals Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, both of whom he said had “worked very hard” in recent weeks.

Of Mr Cruz, who took his home state of Texas as well as Oklahoma and Alaska, Mr Trump said: “I want to congratulate Ted on winning Texas, I know how hard he worked and that was an excellent win.”

He reserved harsher words for Mr Rubio, despite being at an event in the senator’s own state, on the grounds he had been “very, very nasty” in a speech about Mr Trump last week.

But even as he had a dig at the big business leaders who would be spending money in Florida to have their “little senator” in the oval office, Mr Trump was more interested in focussing on his own empire’s investments in the state
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Philip wrote:With the US pres election in full flow,we should have a dedicated td for the same.
Good Idea. Here is such a thread.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

RajeshA wrote:
Philip wrote:With the US pres election in full flow,we should have a dedicated td for the same.
Good Idea. Here is such a thread.
That thread is locked.

But a better thread would be: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 0#p1988362
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

most of these buddhijeebis will be exposed and thrown out if trump were to take over. no they are more concerned of retaining their own seats in think tanks and patronage networks than what trump will or will not for amrika.

in that sense they are just like our MSM.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

state our core objections clearly:
This is sufficiently fun to maybe launch a Petition Re0Butt-ing the Butts.
1. His vision of American influence and power in the world is wildly inconsistent and unmoored in principle.
U mean the Principle of Armed Robbery and Flimflam in effect for the past 30 years?
He swings from isolationism to military adventurism within the space of one sentence.
True. Takes past Presidents several days, in comparison.
His advocacy for aggressively waging trade wars is a recipe for economic disaster in a globally connected world.
He should let his minions do that while he preaches Globalization, and destroys American industry like his predecessors?
His embrace of the expansive use of torture is inexcusable.
In public.
His hateful, anti-Muslim rhetoric undercuts the seriousness of combatting Islamic radicalism by alienating partners in the Islamic world making significant contributions to the effort.
Like Saudi Arabia, Erdogan-turkey and Pakistan.
Furthermore, it endangers the safety and Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms of American Muslims.
The Right 2 Have a Cross Burned On Da Lawn? Da Right 2 a Special Cell at the Airport TSA counter?
Controlling our border and preventing illegal immigration is a serious issue, but his insistence that Mexico will fund a wall on the southern border inflames unhelpful passions, and rests on an utter misreading of, and contempt for, our southern neighbor.
So much crueller and ruder than just shooting dem on sight like now.
Similarly, his insistence that close allies such as Japan must pay vast sums for protection is the sentiment of a racketeer, not the leader of the alliances that have served us so well since World War II.
His admiration for foreign dictators such as Vladimir Putin is unacceptable for the leader of the world’s greatest democracy. :rotfl:
Yes, it makes him waaaaaay too smart to be in a position to fire and indeed hang the SDOTUS idiots and traitors who got the US into this sad state.
He is fundamentally dishonest. Evidence of this includes his attempts to deny positions he has unquestionably taken in the past, including on the 2003 Iraq war and the 2011 Libyan conflict. We accept that views evolve over time, but this is simply misrepresentation.
Which is MUCH better than the misrepresentation by the REPUBLICAN WHITE HOUSE of Gee-Dubya that was used to invade Iraq. Which the writers of this stupid letter heartily endorsed.
His equation of business acumen with foreign policy experience is false.
How would u know since you have no experience of business success, and no experience of anything but complete disaster in foreign policy?
Not all lethal conflicts can be resolved as a real estate deal might, and there is no recourse to bankruptcy court in international affairs.
You should know, being experts in bankruptcy.
Mr. Trump’s own statements lead us to conclude that as president, he would use the authority of his office to act in ways that make America less safe, and which would diminish our standing in the world. Furthermore, his expansive view of how presidential power should be wielded against his detractors poses a distinct threat to civil liberty in the United States. Therefore, as committed and loyal Republicans, we are unable to support a Party ticket with Mr. Trump at its head. We commit ourselves to working energetically to prevent the election of someone so utterly unfitted to the office.
We hope the lot of you are hanged as the traitors that you are.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Singha wrote:most of these buddhijeebis will be exposed and thrown out if trump were to take over. no they are more concerned of retaining their own seats in think tanks and patronage networks than what trump will or will not for amrika.

in that sense they are just like our MSM.

These are the 'keep the scam going' Republican national security experts who propped up Islamist terrorism.

All the more reason to vote for Trump.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

[quote="ramana""Singha"]most of these buddhijeebis will be exposed and thrown out if trump were to take over. no they are more concerned of retaining their own seats in think tanks and patronage networks than what trump will or will not for amrika. that sense they are just like our MSMThese are the 'keep the scam going' Republican national security experts who propped up Islamist terrorism.All the more reason to vote for Trump.[/quote]

Vote for Trump will be a step toward Strategic success.

http://qz.com/628124/tulsi-gabbard-the- ... to-terror/
Tulsi Gabbard, the first Hindu in the US Congress, on Modi, Hinduism, and linking Islam to terror
Washington has no shortage of politicians struggling to be seen as a maverick. But Tulsi Gabbard isn’t one of them.As one of the first two female combat veterans elected to US Congress and also its first Hindu and first American Samoan representative, she wears the label quite easily. And this week, the 34-year-old congresswoman from Hawaii reminded everyone of it, as she broke ranks with the Democratic party establishment and relinquished her post as vice chair of the Democratic National Committee on Feb. 29 to endorse Bernie Sanders for president. (Her role with the DNC, the party’s governing body, would have required to stay neutral in the election.)Described last October by the Washington Post as “the Democrat that Republicans love and the DNC can’t control,” Gabbard offered a sample of her independent streak a year ago, when she spoke out of sync with her fellow Democrats and criticized US president Barack Obama’s handling of Islamic extremism—specifically over his unwillingness to brand ISIL an “Islamic” group. “[Obama] is completely missing the point of this radical Islamic ideology that’s fueling these people,” Gabbard told Fox News last February.
Her viewpoint on this subject is all the more notable given her military experience in the Middle East, where she served in a field medical unit in Iraq and was a trainer for the Kuwait National Guard.
But it also aligns nicely with the stance toward Islam held by India’s right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and its Hindu nationalist leader, Narendra Modi, with whom Gabbard shares a great rapport.
Speaking at a fundraising event for the BJP in August 2014, where she articulated the plight of Hindus around the world who have suffered persecution, Gabbard said that Modi’s election victory was only possible because “people stood up, one by one by one by one, and said we will demand that this change occurs.”In September 2014, the new Indian prime minister made it a point to meet Gabbard following his historic post-election speech at New York’s Madison Square Garden. And the congresswoman gave Modi a gift—a copy of the Bhagwad Gita that she swore by when elected to office—and assured him of her support for a Modi pet project of declaring an International Yoga day.“We had a wide-ranging discussion on several issues our countries have in common, including how America and India can work together to help combat the global threat posed by Islamic extremism,” Gabbard said after the meeting.For all that and more, Gabbard was treated as royalty on her visit to India last year. As she hobnobbed with the Indian prime minister and foreign minister among others, The Telegraph, a Kolkata-based newspaper, called her “the Sangh’s mascot” in the US.

QZ: You took on the US president for his reluctance to name ISIS as an Islamic extremist group. Do you still stand by this criticism?
TG: In order to defeat the terrorists who have declared war on the United States and the rest of the world, we need to understand their ideology. In other words, the war can’t be won just militarily. We must defeat them in the ideological war, not just on the battlefield. In order to defeat their ideology, we need to recognize what their ideology is.The ideology of these terrorists is “Islamism.” It is a radical political ideology of violent jihad aimed at bringing about an establishment of a totalitarian society governed by a particular interpretation of Islam as state law. Referring to terrorists as “Islamist extremists” is simply an accurate way to identify ISIS and other Islamist extremist organizations whose ideology is rooted in one form of Islamism or another.
QZ: How much of that sentiment is influenced by your experience serving in the military in the Middle East, versus your interest in Hindu/Muslim conflicts in India?
TG: My experience serving in the Middle East has shaped many of my views. This has nothing to do with any “Hindus/Muslim” conflict in India or anywhere else. It comes from the understanding that in order to defeat the terrorists who have declared war on the United States and the rest of the world, we need to understand their ideology.My two deployments in the Middle East reinforced the fundamental military wisdom that you can’t defeat an enemy if you don’t understand him. We cannot win this war if we do not understand our enemy’s goals, [or the] ideology that inspires them and fuels their recruitment propaganda. And the first step to understanding an enemy is correctly identifying him in a way that makes clear his ideology.
QZ: You referred to the suffering of Hindu minorities across the world, in a speech you gave during a fundraiser attended by some of the top leaders of the BJP. Do you think that in India there exists a similar situation?
TG: Throughout the world, Hindus are victims of discrimination. Recently, a Hindu priest in Bangladesh was brutally hacked to death by ISIS terrorists and two others were injuredtrying to help him. Unfortunately, even in the United States, as well as different pockets of India, such discrimination exists.While there is no doubt there is some discrimination directed toward different “religious minorities” in India, throughout India you will find Muslims, Christians, and people of all kinds of religions free to practice their faith. However, you will not find this degree of tolerance or openness in countries like Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, or other Muslim countries. In fact, if you are not a member of the government-approved religion in those countries, it is government policy that you will be punished and discriminated against. The essence of the Hinduism that I practice is karma yoga and bhakti yoga, which means to love God and all [emphasis hers] of His children, regardless of their race, religion, etc., and to use my life working for the well-being of everyone.
QZ: A report in The Telegraph, an Indian newspaper, referred to you as the mascot for the right-wing RSS in India. How do you respond to that? Do you think that is true and would you like to be associated with the RSS?
TG: Both in India and here in the US, I have held meetings with members of both the BJP and the Congress Party. As a member of the US Congress, my interest is in helping produce a closer relationship between the United States and India, not just between the United States and one political party of India.
QZ: Some media reports suggest that you seem to be supporting the Indian diaspora, mostly because they are huge contributors to your campaign, especially with your Hindu identity. How do you respond?
TG: Through my election to Congress and my swearing in on Bhagavad-gita, those in the national media, my colleagues in Congress, and regular Americans across the country have all been very respectful, and even proud of America’s diversity. I assume the reason Hindus all across the country have been so supportive of me, is because when they see me, they see the potential for themselves and their sons and daughters.
There are many Hindus in America who feel they need to convert to Christianity or take “Christian” names if they or their children are to succeed in this country. I have found that simply being the first Hindu elected in Congress has been liberating to so many because it shows that every American, regardless of their background, race, or religion, has the opportunity serve our community in any capacity he or she may choose.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

So where are the x number of esteemed parliamentarians in India who might write to POTUS regarding attacks on Indians/Hindus/Sikhs in the US?

Instead they were busy imploring the US not to grant NaMo a visa!

Anyone can play the game. We don't. Perhaps MPjis are scared they may not get visa to visit sons/daughters...
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Perhaps MPjis are scared they may not get visa to visit sons/daughters..

Let's not injult brave and patriotic Sher-e-JambuDvipa MPs, hain?
Perhaps they and their staff can't write and are ******* incompetent?
Ashok Sarraff
BRFite

Post by Ashok Sarraff »

India denies visas to US religious freedom body

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 248712.cms
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

they can hold a hearing in US itself and fly out various worthies of the usual atrocity circuit. yawn. this is like a rerun of a c-grade movie.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Singha wrote:they can hold a hearing in US itself and fly out various worthies of the usual atrocity circuit. yawn. this is like a rerun of a c-grade movie.
Those worthies will be met and greeted by Arnab at the airport arrival hall upon their return. Best bet for them is to buy or hire few "South Assians and Paki "from local ghettos, Berkley school or Woodrow Wilson centre.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Govt. rejects U.S. panel’s report on religious freedom

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/g ... 159762.ece
India reacted coldly to the report of the U.S. commission on religious freedom that criticises the government, and said that it was based on a “limited understanding of India, its constitution and its society.”

“We take no cognizance of this report,” a statement from the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said.

The Congressional body, the U.S. Commission for International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), released its annual report for 2015 on Thursday, placing India amid more than 30 countries that meet a “systematic, ongoing, and egregious” standard for failing to protect religious freedoms.

India has been on the list since 2009 as a country in the “Tier 2” category. Marking concern over “Hindu nationalist” groups for programmes of forced conversion, “Ghar Wapsi”, attacks on churches and “hate campaigns” against Muslim minorities, the U.S. commission has retained India’s status as a “Tier 2 Country of concern” on religious freedom.

The reaction of the MEA is a departure from the past, when the government had made no comment, as it was an internal report of the U.S. legislature.

However, the language used this year is particularly critical of the government, for not taking on the groups it alleges are carrying out attacks on minorities.

In the 5-page focus on India, the commission recommends that the U.S. government should “integrate concern for religious freedom into bilateral contacts with India”, referring even to the strategic dialogue level.

For the first time, the USCIRF report says that the U.S. must urge the Indian government to “publicly rebuke” officials and religious leaders making derogatory statements about religious communities.

It advocates that the U.S. Ambassador visit areas where “communal violence has occurred or is likely to occur” which could be seen as interference in the internal affairs of India.

U.S. report on religious freedom bound to ruffle feathers in Delhi

While diplomats dismiss the prospect of India-U.S. relations being strained over the religious freedom report and its recommendations, given the upsurge in ties with two state visits between New Delhi and Washington by President Obama and Prime Minister Modi, it is bound to ruffle feathers in Delhi. This week also saw tense moments as a U.S. delegation led by Undersecretary of State Wendy Sherman, raised the issue of the Home Ministry’s strictures against the Ford Foundation.

The Hindu has learnt the U.S. expressed concerns over what it sees as the targeting of the Ford Foundation, which has worked in India since 1952.

With its references to PM Modi, the USCIRF report is likely to cause more friction between India and the U.S. For example, the report notes Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s speech to Catholic bishops in February 2015, where he spoke of ensuring “complete freedom of faith”, as a “positive development.”

However in a stinging personalised addition, it says, “This statement is notable given longstanding allegations that as Chief Minister of Gujarat in 2002, Mr. Modi was complicit in anti-Muslim riots in the state,” referring to his visa revocation in 2005 by the State Department as “the only person known to have been denied a visa based on this provision.”

The Congressional commission is an independent bipartisan body that has no legislative or executive powers itself. It significantly influences the State Department’s own annual report on religious freedom, and is cited whenever the U.S. government chooses to invoke its International Religious Freedom Act.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

The Ford Foundation is nothing but a front end for CIA , The early they are kicked out of India if not done already the better

The Ford Foundation and the CIA
http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/PET209A.html

Is India safe... What is Ford Foundation?
http://www.ibtl.in/column/1398/is-india ... oundation/
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Isn't this the second time. Can't they take a hint ???
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Lol at "the only person denies visa under this category"

Not an indictment of modi but the other way around
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

The solushun is to open a Phord fondashun (india) inc. with ophice and latrine phacilities in daryagunj. Not related to Ford phondation (amrika) ltd. No more criticism related to ford phondation possible.

It is kind of interesting how low a job and need for making money can sink people. They must keep up these reports, no matter what else happens around the world.