Indian Education System

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
member_28108
BRFite

Re: Indian Education System

Post by member_28108 »

The rot is highest in medicine. Once this is done be prepared for other exams also to be abolished. In fact many states and colleges are now accepting JEE Mains as the ranking system for selection(even of local studnets). Also csubash saying that state board and rural students will be at a disadvantage is now actually nonsense. Even when my son took his JEE exam the entire nations PCMB syllabus is now a common NCERT syllabus and this is now so right from the 6yh standard so that argument does not hold water.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Also csubash you have misunderstood the exam (- the exam gives a score.Th state quota remains the same but students are now ranked according to their NEET score which is used to rank them within their won state so 15 % al India seats remain but under the state quota instead of the local entrance exam the rank card in NEET will be used to determine local rank.What is wrong with that. It is like how there is a state quota and national quota for NIT's. You get a state rank and a national rank on writing JEE Mains and that is used to determine in state and out of state rank while applying. So saying that if favors CBSE students (it does not as the syllabus pan India is now the same for the core test in PCB in case of NEET and PCM in case of JEE Mains) is based on the same syllabus and selection in within state remains as before with the ranking being done by the NEET examination board and that is the only difference. So if I want to apply for any medical college in India take my NEET score and apply (either to my state college or in 15 % All India quota) and instead of writing oodles of exams the problem gets solved .Also I can say first hand the entrance exams in private "deemed" university's that were sanctioned dime a dozen in the last couple of decades were just a big scam and facade.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Thanks prasanna. Clears up a lot of issues. Good to know that IIT-JEE is now being used by others. Unified tests are the way to go for standardization and reduce the burden on students.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

There has to be standardization and Pan India exams for eligibility. Or else we get students who do not know how many micrograms are there in a milligram and I am not joking. Its a fact. Many of these nongovernmental deemed universities have an elegantly worked out scam to allow students enter go through the exams and pass out. It is astonishing what money can do. Most fthese deemed universities have got their deemed status not because they are institutes of national importance but due to political pressure as many of these universities have owners who are politicians or with trade like liquor etc or claimed minority status. This is essentially a big money laundering scheme. So they will do anything and everything without oversite when given deemed status. At least now the entry can be regulated and while many things may not be avoided at least there must be some minimal level of ability to enter. As I said when people who do not know how many micrograms are there in a milligram end up progressing in these courses it speaks volumes about the selection procedure.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

+1

I hope the SC doesn't allow multiple admission tests. Just one for national eligibility and one for state eligibility.
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

Prasannasimha,
Assuming Science & Maths are the same worldwide ask a student from californian state education system to write NEET & see how many of the good students get selected. Sitting in a big city & asking a rural student to write NEET is unfair. If MCI is so particular in getting standards better for medical students ask them inspect colleges properly or conduct an exit exam for all medical students like the USMLE. You dont need a new layer of additional exams for the each & every field. Get a uniform curriculum throughout country & get a proper board exam assessment rather than this nonsense.

prasannasimha wrote:The rot is highest in medicine. Once this is done be prepared for other exams also to be abolished. In fact many states and colleges are now accepting JEE Mains as the ranking system for selection(even of local studnets). Also csubash saying that state board and rural students will be at a disadvantage is now actually nonsense. Even when my son took his JEE exam the entire nations PCMB syllabus is now a common NCERT syllabus and this is now so right from the 6yh standard so that argument does not hold water.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

it is not so simple and got nothing for big city versus small city. The syllabus for all students remains the same.Even in state tests they have to write state CET be it in a big city or small city. NEET is the test but selection for individual states will be according to the selection process for the state be it rural representation reservation based on caste etcetcetc which are in force for that state. All that NEET will do is give the ranking ie performance of the student. The same student would ahve to write the state CET anyway isn't it ? That is all that is being removed and a single exam is given. Also NEET has got nothing to do with MCI inspecting colleges it is like SAT and has nothing to do with the common exit exam at the end of medicine.(Incidentally that also is being implemented)

You may call it nonsenes but the problem is that Education is in the concurrent list so different states have different boards as a constitutional right but when giving seatsacross the country equality of assessment is also a right because various groups even in the state are also selected under the ins state quota (for eg horanaadu and gadi naadu out of state linguistic people etc) so all this adds to the mess. A single entrance exam does away with these umpteen tests How do you reconcile the fact that a student has to write 12-14 tests for medical entrance by every "deemed" university traveling around the country . So the poor rural student also ahs to go spending a fortune to write umpteen exams. Also the next apart of this scam is all those so called deemed universities announce their lists much earlier than others purposely and manage to convert the merit seats to managemnt seats as they are not filled up - thats not going to help any meritorious students.I ahve gone through all these trials and tribulations as a parent. things are not so simple as what you think and don't think that rural students do not get through. they do. In Karnataka guess which district gets the highest scores - rural students from Dakshina Kannada and Dh arwa district. Guess who are not the highest qualifiers bangalore urban So it is not so simple
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

If we don't expose people from small cities to global competition , we might end up making them pussies and whiners...insofar as NEET is concerned , since India does not have an undergrad pure science requirement , the curriculum of NEET should be 1st or 2nd year college level physics,chemistry ,math and Biology...if parents or kids think it is too tough , they don't deserve entrance to a med school and have no business coveting such a position ...

a lot of small town kids have made it really big on a global scale...the worst we could do kids is make them incompetent... not exposing them from competition is an excellent way of making them whiny little pussies...

insofar as NNET is concerned , I think that the proposed syllabus is insufficient for kids to begin a medical education.... and these dins when everyone have internet access, the exam seems to be a little too dumbed down...but of course it replaces exams that were even dumber...
member_23858
BRFite

Post by member_23858 »

Dear gurus, let me clear up a few things about NEET. I have myself secured an admission in MD/MS course in year 2013, when NEET was held for first time.
1. It was one of the best exam patterns ever. No need for me to fly to chandigarh, or dilli, or rohtak or mumbai to appear for multiple exams . (these exams are held within days of each other- flying becomes compulsory.
2. No need to study exam books of multiple entrance test. Like no AIIMS/MAHARASHTRA/MANIPAL/AIPGMEE/NIMHANS...etc.
these books change every year(every exam) and cost minimum of 1000 rupees.....minimum.
3. The exam doesnt infringe up on states right to conduct admissions. just the exams. merit list for maharashtra will be different from merit list of New Delhi. New Delhi student can get into Maharashtra based on All-India quota and vice-versa, NOT through state quota.
4. Exam is based on prometric computer exams. So no need to waste time marking an option with pen, in a perfect circle. even those 3-4 seconds count in a competitive exams. One can always change ones answer. This is not the case in other exams. Also, since the marking pattern is a bit different, Luck factor is scaled down.
5. SO far as access of student of villages are concerned....same is the case for all the coaching classes centers in metropolitan cities.
6. Exam forms fee - I attempted AIIMS-₹1400/AIPGMEE-₹1500/MHPGMEE-₹1800/PGI CHANDIGARH₹-1400/NIMHANS -₹4000/MANIPAL -₹3500/ COMEDK-₹3500/ AMUPMDC ₹3800....these are just exam form fees......lodging boarding not counting.
7. One exam- one merit list. It helped me get a good idea of how and where I could get admissions. I didnot have juggle multiple counsellings.
These are my experiences. I would support NEET.
FYI, NEET was squashed in 2014 July by altamas kabir, a week before his retirement., based on petition filed by moneymaking private medical colleges. Who were represented by Harish Salve
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

^^ btw Altamas Kabir was heavily bribed by pvt colleges...it was speculated in the media..and one of my dads friends is in a related business..he confirmed that Kabir made enough for the next 7 generations to never have to earn..

the NEET they are talking about is the MBBS entrance neet...not MD/MS

w.r.t PG entrances , IMHO the standard of questions is pathetic in AIIMS/AIPG/NEET...most questions are one liner memory types like what is the chromosome number of NF1 or RAS gene etc...we need a 2 stage exit /cum pg entrance exam similar to USMLE that asks ultra conceptual questions..

On the whole ,our education system needs massive improvements ...but unfortunately we don't go beyond silly debates like "rural students khatrein mein hain :(( :(( "
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Altamas Kabit should be investigated. He gave the verdict on the day of retirement(not a week before) with his juniors dissenting. It was a big scam. In fact this could be used to open up an investigation as he is now retired and teach corrupt judiciary a lesson that they are not above the law themselves.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

If the goal is to get to global standards, why wouldn't they just adopt the MCAT? It would open up application possibilities to colleges in many other countries as well.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

It is not MCAT the equivalent is SAT
member_23858
BRFite

Post by member_23858 »

prasannasimha wrote:Altamas Kabit should be investigated. He gave the verdict on the day of retirement(not a week before) with his juniors dissenting. It was a big scam. In fact this could be used to open up an investigation as he is now retired and teach corrupt judiciary a lesson that they are not above the law themselves.
It was not just that A kabir gave such a stupid decision. He gave it after 6 months. for 8 months around 40k-50k qualified doctors were warming their seats. Only in India :eek:
It was more than enough to motivate me to giveup clinical/patient based branches altoghether :evil:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/after-ye ... eststories

the district collector of kota makes an appeal to the parents of the 1.5 lakh students who live there preparing for engineering exams.

as you know IITs have 10,000 seats...but the top 200,000 in jee mains write the jee advanced...so its a zero sum game at that stage...1 out of 20 will make it , with none but the top 1000 perhaps getting their choice of branch + institute...the rest will either have to compromise on one or both or settle for NIT/IIIT via their JEE mains ranking which again is given two tanks - all india and in state as the NIT seats 50% are for in-state students.

the competition has become pretty insane .... unless the child has the stamina to work on numerical problems for 6 hrs a day for 2 yrs they dont stand a chance. every day full page ads of the coaching institutes show us photos and ranks of children who got huge scores.

the highest mark in jee mains this year is a incredible 345 / 360 by a boy from chaitanya classes Hyd.

I have skimmed through SAT2 papers in maths level2, phy, chem and they are nowhere near the jee advanced level, perhaps some questions in math were at jee mains level.

our high population , lack of income growth under congi regimes (china today has reached the stage where millions of kids can afford even to do UG in amrika) and lack of scale is killing us . all premier instts in jee mains + advanced bucket need to scale up 4 fold to reduce competition for seats ..... my cousin sister who has a kid in class3 heckles and pushes her with "if you dont study hard now, where will you get a seat later?" :roll:
millions of families cannot afford private colleges, so for them going the kota route is the only chance at a great college. those who have money 1/cr per kid are decamping for UG outside india.
Dumal
BRFite

Post by Dumal »

While in the long term, the sentiments from prasannasimha and supratik make total sense, I agree with csubash that it is a big mess for the TN students aspiring for the few thousand medical seats this year.

Firstly for the past several years (maybe a dozen or more), TN has not had a CET like exam for any professional education - engineering and med included. All of the TN State quota of 80%+ was allotted only based on board exam marks. Only the outside-state quota was filled through AIEEE, AIPMT etc. If I remember correctly, Jayalalitha was the main proponent of this system for TN and may have started during her previous term in the early 2000's.

Secondly, this existing system allowed students to focus on Board exams and not really worry about any entrance exams, all these years. As far as I know, nobody had any advance notice that this would all change so suddenly for the medical seats in TN (and a few other states?). Note that Engineering admissions may continue to be decided only based on Board marks in TN. This means most state-board students including those that planned to write AIPMT for fun had a surprise last week - it will be called NEET going forward, their admissions will be decided only by NEET results and they never really prepared for an objective type, negative marking included exam.

Thirdly, the small minority of CBSE/ICSE students in the state (who were anyway dependent on AIPMT etc) will fare better in NEET-1/2 and probably as a group even displace almost all of the state board students even in the in-state rank lists. I think this will be a windfall for one group at the expense of the other.

Given the competition levels, people will quickly find ways to adapt and prep for anything with enough time. But the NEET-1 surprise for those who wrote yesterday will have been too much for anyone other than a top-100 level talent in TN. The coaching classes will mint tons of money this year in getting kids ready for NEET 2 in August. And this is where rural vs urban issue comes up, with urban kids having ready access to prep classes locally making it more affordable as well.

If they had notified this change 6 months or a year ago, it would have been somewhat fair. In fact many students from CBSE schools move to State Board schools just to get through the system without the CET hurdle. Ideally this kind of change must have been announced 2 years ahead of implementation when people can decide appropriately between their +2 choices.

I am also wondering why the TN state gov and Jayalalitha have not been very strident here, given the extreme pain inflicted on the local board students. Will the SC not see the unfairness of such a sudden change? It could become an election issue as well with just 2 weeks left in TN, unless parties are all afraid of stirring the pot, for whatever reason.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Why propose Laloo type solutions for problems? If rural students are facing a problem getting quality education, the job of the state is to ensure they do get it. Instead people want to dumb down entrance tests or want reservations so that they don't have to compete with outsiders. Most of the opposition to NEET comes from southern India (if you see the link I posted) and UP. I will attribute it to capitation colleges syndrome rather than any problem with people not being able to compete for one reason or the other. As for the abruptness of the decision, you have to blame the SC for that.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

prasannasimha wrote:It is not MCAT the equivalent is SAT
Nope.. Sat is an exam people give after high school for entry to a bachelor's degree program..
It only has math and English and logic..

Mcat is medical entrance exam..given after finishing bachelors degree.. Curriculum is college level physics Chem bio English logic and math...
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Thirdly, the small minority of CBSE/ICSE students in the state (who were anyway dependent on AIPMT etc) will fare better in NEET-1/2 and probably as a group even displace almost all of the state board students even in the in-state rank lists. I think this will be a windfall for one group at the expense of the other.
should not the best guys get in ? we cannot make any system 100% fair as it is impossible to adjust for all perceived and real advantages...cbse/icse students tend to be better prepared for good quality exams unlike state boarders..

if parents realize that cbse/icse schools help than demand for such schools would increase forcing state board schools to convert their curriculum ..which is a good thing...besides as prof simha pointed out a few times already that ncert curriculum is now universal...so all state boards have to follow that...if a particular board is not doing that already , than it is their fault and they should change...

it is time we kick the socialist exam and admission system out...because it has led to the most pervasive forms of crony capitalism like management quota,reservations and questionable coaching insti's ///

problem with most parents is that they don't give 2 hoots to what a kid actually learns ...they ll be ok with him not know what "area under curve" means as long as he gets into a med school...and if the kid is incompetent due to any reason (poor schooling etc) they ll still want him in med school rather than taking steps to make him more competitive ...

in fact this whole thing is a circular argument that has gone on for decades and still no solution is in site...everytime "rural khatrein mein hain" , "stateboard khatrein mein hain" are used as slogans against progress..
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

Prasannasimha, gakkad & supratik,
Regarding opposition to NEET coming from southern states is because these states value education more than others. The main reason for this is southern states have less natural resourses & people have always considered education as their only resourse to prosperity not because of capitation college syndrome. Every state decides its education system depending on its needs. By all means we need to improve quality of education that's what each board tries to do. A significant majority of students in TN read all their science subjects in tamil. For heavens sake there is no CBSE science books in any vernacular language. If people have bothered to read about NEET, it doesn't apply to central institutes like AIIMS, AFMC, JIPMER or PGI. Regarding ruling it clearly states that admissions will be based on All India Merit list.
Inspite of the "whines & pussies" which TN has produced it has done well for itself regarding health indicators & medical education. The " learned" people here really don't know what parents & students in TN are going through. I am pretty sure whichever party comes to power in TN wouldn't/ shouldn't comply with SC's current ruling till a level playing field is created. If it creates a constitutional crisis so be it.

Supratik wrote:Why propose Laloo type solutions for problems? If rural students are facing a problem getting quality education, the job of the state is to ensure they do get it. Instead people want to dumb down entrance tests or want reservations so that they don't have to compete with outsiders. Most of the opposition to NEET comes from southern India (if you see the link I posted) and UP. I will attribute it to capitation colleges syndrome rather than any problem with people not being able to compete for one reason or the other. As for the abruptness of the decision, you have to blame the SC for that.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Vernacular education is the primary form of education in most Indian states plus English. Nothing special about TN. Everyone knows that most of these colleges and universities are owned by politicians and businessmen who would like their entrance scam to continue. The news I have seen is that all other tests have been replaced by NEET. If you are saying that is not true kindly post the source.
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

If you refuse to read through my posts you wouldn't have asked this question.
There is no entrance examination in TN.
I am talking about more than 20 state government aided medical colleges not private colleges.
There is no tamil CBSE science books

Supratik wrote:Vernacular education is the primary form of education in most Indian states plus English. Nothing special about TN. Everyone knows that most of these colleges and universities are owned by politicians and businessmen who would like their entrance scam to continue. The news I have seen is that all other tests have been replaced by NEET. If you are saying that is not true kindly post the source.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Boss, I don't really understand what your problem is. From what you said TN has a 15% All India quota and the rest is for state residents. The former is going to be determined by NEET and the rest by TN criteria which may be state boards. So what is all the opposition about.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

I am quite sure the test would be available in all languages...like Dr.simha pointed out , all atate boards have been following the ncert course for quite sometime now..
"Inspite of the "whines & pussies" which TN has produced it has done well for itself regarding health indicators & medical education. The " learned" people here really don't know what parents & students in TN are going through. I am pretty sure whichever party comes to power in TN wouldn't/ shouldn't comply with SC's current ruling till a level playing field is created. If it creates a constitutional crisis so be it."

nowhere in my comments was there any regional insinuation ... people from all states have at some point or the other gone hyper about the entrance tests...calling for a "constitutional crisis" is uncalled for...its not like anyones life,limb or civil liberties is at stake...but what has always gone on to hamper good education system in India is that people are willing to get into a "crisis" mode over an reforms..it is not unlike unions preventing labor law changes..the anti-nuke protestors...

many people in TN like many people from across the country have done well...but the success stories are in spite of the system and not because of the system...neither I nor any other poster was trying to bring regionalism to this...
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

4. CBSE will provide All India Rank. Admitting Authorities will invite applications for Counselling and merit list shall be drawn based on All India Rank.

The above is from SC order. All admissions to medical colleges are according to All India Rank.

Gakkad, if you read through previous posts somebody has mentioned about the opposition to NEET in south due to its capitation college syndrome.

Supratik wrote:Boss, I don't really understand what your problem is. From what you said TN has a 15% All India quota and the rest is for state residents. The former is going to be determined by NEET and the rest by TN criteria which may be state boards. So what is all the opposition about.
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

Also Gakkad,
The test may be available in regional languages(not the current one though) but there is no CBSE science textbooks in Tamil.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

the "capitation college syndrome" is not restricted to south...while it is true that south has a high density of pvt. colleges , wealthy folks from all over the country send kids to south and Maharashtra med school..and again the comment was not something meant to be regional...though i can't speak for the poster...but it is true that private colleges have a big role in delaying NEET or the common curriculum...they thrive on a chaotic education system...reservations and lack of state funded opportunities led to their creation...it is an example of a socialistic system ending up creating a crony capitalist behemoth that is now indestructable...
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

csubash wrote:Also Gakkad,
The test may be available in regional languages(not the current one though) but there is no CBSE science textbooks in Tamil.

there will be no difference in content..as it was mandated in 2008 for all stateboards to strictly follow ncert curriculum..cbse does not publish class 11 or 12 textbooks except for english...they use NCERT texts...it is likley that TN stateboard also has ncert equivalent texts.. the fear that exists is the fear of unknown...

board exams have very poor reproducibility .i mean if you subject a population set to 10 different board exams, their might be 10 different outcomes...thre is no conceivable way of removing luck from the equation...just relax...there will be a state quota...so TN students will be filling up the seats regardless of anything...
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Can you post source where it says that state quota has been scrapped?
Dumal
BRFite

Post by Dumal »

gakakkad wrote:
should not the best guys get in ? we cannot make any system 100% fair as it is impossible to adjust for all perceived and real advantages...cbse/icse students tend to be better prepared for good quality exams unlike state boarders..
I think people are mixing up good long-term progress (that would take 5-10 years of carefully coordinated moves) we need to make in revamping education systems with this kind haphazard one step forward - two backwards kind of changes.

Nowhere am I suggesting best folks should not get in. By pulling this NEET I/II trick out of nowhere (and you have to read why there is NEET I and NEET II this year!!!), a large chunk of those deserving kids will be out of contention for the medical seats because they got 2 days notice to write NEET I (knowing that it would be the sole deciding factor) and if they wrote that they cannot write NEET II.

The point is state boarders can be as well prepared or better for quality exams, if their goalposts don't get shifted in the last moment.
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

The rule i posted is from SC's judgement. Irrespective of how many marks you get in state board your rank will be based on NEET. This puts students from english medium, CBSE school students from cities who can afford expensive coaching classes over rural stateboard vernacular students who have limited access to coaching classes.
If all state boards have curriculum according to ncert standards then you have to accept its scores. It's ironic that you can get admission to almost all western universities with your CBSE or state board scores alone but not to Indian university
Supratik wrote:Can you post source where it says that state quota has been scrapped?
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Well the news I have seen doesn't clarify about state quota. Unless you have actually read the SC order we have to wait for more clarity. The rest of your questions have already been answered by others.

You have to appear for tests like SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc to get admitted to western universities which are globally accepted even in poor Burundi.
csubash
BRFite

Post by csubash »

http://www.mciindia.org/tools/announcem ... e%20SC.pdf

The above link is the supreme court order. SAT is an aptitude test for all courses not any speciality test.

Supratik wrote:Well the news I have seen doesn't clarify about state quota. Unless you have actually read the SC order we have to wait for more clarity. The rest of your questions have already been answered by others.

You have to appear for tests like SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc to get admitted to western universities which are globally accepted even in poor Burundi.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

OK, will read it when I have time. SAT is for general undergrad, GRE for the sciences, GMAT for management, etc. All western universities require you to clear at least one standardized test.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Hmm see
http://www.textbooksonline.tn.nic.in/Std12.htm

Tamil Nadu is also following NCERT syllabus and the Tamil versions of the textbooks are available.

Honestly I don't knopw what the brouhaha is all about.The NEET is just a standardized exam. Claiming that rural students will be affected etc is not true.Each state will give rank list based on the NEET score. Tamil Nadu did not have a CET whereas all the other south Indian states had itand all this nonsenes that education is valued etc etc is sheer nonsense which state gets the highest number of IIT entrants - erstwhile Andhra Pradesh and that is a South Indian state.
like it or not these exams are needed as the private medical colleges made it into a big scam and Yes I am also from a South Indian state an I was one of the first batches of the ALL India Entrance exam and studied in Maharashtra (postgraduation) !! You can either see an opportunity or moan about it.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

^^^ Across India, till class XII th all Indian boards follow NCERT Curricula as per National Curriculum framework 2005. It seems that framing curriculum is not every nations cup of tea. India is one of the few with its own Curriculum. Most neighbouring countries borrow heavily from the Indian curriculum framework.

Those which don't, like Sri Lanka, follow the British "A" Levels and "O" Levels.

Based on the curriculum, text books are developed and prescribed by schools across India for ICSE, CBSE or State Boards. The medium of instruction may differ but the difficulty level or learning level minimum standards remain same across India.

Individual boards may focus more on some aspects and go beyond the curricula but not below the levels mandated in the curricula.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

From what I heard, a large part of the problem is the Supreme Court's juvenile behavior in not providing adequate notice for the policy change. Given how these things work, its quite likely some of the judges have a conflict of interest in this case.

Even if the curriculum is identical a lot depends on what textbooks and practice material are used. This is more true in India because of the focus on rote learning where students spend years learning material "just the right way".
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

deejay wrote:^^^ Across India, till class XII th all Indian boards follow NCERT Curricula as per National Curriculum framework 2005. It seems that framing curriculum is not every nations cup of tea. India is one of the few with its own Curriculum. Most neighbouring countries borrow heavily from the Indian curriculum framework.

Those which don't, like Sri Lanka, follow the British "A" Levels and "O" Levels.

Based on the curriculum, text books are developed and prescribed by schools across India for ICSE, CBSE or State Boards. The medium of instruction may differ but the difficulty level or learning level minimum standards remain same across India.

Individual boards may focus more on some aspects and go beyond the curricula but not below the levels mandated in the curricula.
Don't know about other states but MH state board sucks big time in terms of level difference it has kept between X/XII state board syllabus and that of CBSE. About 15 yrs ago, the gap was significant enough that preparation of IIT-JEE/PMT etc was a totally different ball game that the state entrance exams. We used to buy CBSE books separately to study for National level exams. What was there in CBSE X class Science/Maths books was included only in XI/XII books for state boards. There were a lot of new things in CBSE +2 books and most used to find it difficult to bridge this gap for preparing for national exams. And in last few yrs the situation has worsen only as the state board has diluted the syllabus even more.

Apart from that even the style of exams is quite different. A lot of students find that difference insurmountable in short time.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

most of us from state boards in 80s and 90s faced the same problem. buying and working on separate books of numerical problems in PCM was the only way to somewhat compete.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

The situation is different now all state and CBSE use NCERT syllabus and text. I had posted Tamil versionof NCERT text books