Magazine and Media Watch/Review

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shiv wrote:Jagan - you and Madeep were on TV a few minutes ago.

I recorded it - all about Google earth.
Cool Shivgaru , when do we get to see the web video? :)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jagan wrote:

Cool Shivgaru , when do we get to see the web video? :)
Jagan garu - It is a 500 MB mpeg-2 file currently. I will run it through the usual post processing to remove the scrolling news at the bottom and then send you a VCD. Please email me your snail mail address of which I have about 50 copies in 50 separate emails on my HDD but am not botheerd to search for. :lol:

There is a lot of you in there - but about half the 20 min are spent talking to a couple of people in the studio.

Maybe we should realmedia-ize your interview - or perhaps wmv-ize it into a smaller size and put it up under "BR in the Media"
Rajit Ojha
BRFite -Trainee

Rah Rah!

Post by Rajit Ojha »

WTG Jagan and Mandeep

Good to have experts on air who have no axe to grind and can tell it like it is :!:
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Shiv said

There is a lot of you in there -
Tsk Tsk Jagan - and I thought you were jogging and doing something about it :D
rajkhalsa
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rajkhalsa »

You can also upload it to megaupload.com :)
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Shiv -- what did you use for recording?
By any chance are you using a TV-tuner card or something??

can someone suggest what is the best way to capture the TV-feed directly to PC?? Should be real useful when "Mission Udaan" goes on air !!!
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

can someone suggest what is the best way to capture the TV-feed directly to PC
IMO, best is Capture card. Some DV camcorders+1394 will work too. There are USB capture boxes, but I am not happy about the quality.

No one has volunteered to record mission udaan yet. Are you going to shivji?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Dileep wrote: IMO, best is Capture card. Some DV camcorders+1394 will work too. There are USB capture boxes, but I am not happy about the quality.

I have used various capture cards for the past 6-7 years for this purpose.

I cannot promise anything about Udaan because I suspect it will be more about people than planes. I lust after the planes. Lets see. I will have to get the timings right because I watch TV for about 15-20 minutes a day.
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

shiv, I believe there are multiple "Tivo" like freeware/shareware progs that exist to make your computer into DVR.

BTW, what capture card do you use? I have found the ATi All-in-Wonder cards to be the most utilitarian.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

shiv wrote:
Dileep wrote: IMO, best is Capture card. Some DV camcorders+1394 will work too. There are USB capture boxes, but I am not happy about the quality.

I have used various capture cards for the past 6-7 years for this purpose.

I cannot promise anything about Udaan because I suspect it will be more about people than planes. I lust after the planes. Lets see. I will have to get the timings right because I watch TV for about 15-20 minutes a day.

Shiv -- which is the best capture card ?
I have to buy an external card -- which one would you suggest !!

thanks
sbangera
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sbangera »

The Great Indian Chessboard (Monthly Review - October 2005)

http://www.axisglobe.com/article.asp?article=463
The officially claimed purpose of the drill at sea was to strengthen cooperation, trust and mutual understanding between two naval powers and contribute to regional stability. As it was noted officially "the exercises would also include operations relating to maintaining maritime order at sea - counter piracy, counter terrorism, anti gun running and drug smuggling.
But this seems too vague and lame to be a purpose of such a drill. Lets start, first of all, from "counter piracy and counter terrorism." Does anyone can sincerely believe that the missile cruisers will be hunting down the pirates? Or maybe the nuclear submarines will? As for the "regional stability" it seemed okay even without the naval drill. Which is actually seems more like a tool of destabilization. It is known that India enjoys naval supremacy over its only probable opponent – Pakistan. In the case of a conflict Pakistani Navy don't stand a chance. Another foreign Navy will have to back it up – probably the American one, as Islamabad is considered to be the US ally in the region. So the Indian Navy was training to fight…You got the hint?
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

War and Peace is back. Two points caught my attention during the latest episode

- During the 1971 war, 25 gearboxes for an RCL were produced indigenously within a span of 2 days!

- Indian Army Technical personnel are far more knowledgeable than their European/Western counterparts
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Why is there no discussion on Mission Udaan?

Had a really kickass intro. Excellent presentation, direction and footage. A bit repetitive but great, although limited, footage. They also had crystal clear footage of the IAF from the yesteryears including WW-II. Have recorded the first ep on tape.

Notable firsts included a pilot wearing a helmet with artwork ala Topgun, Black background with a yellow lightning bolt, and an IAF Cheetah in the low-viz scheme.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Yes I watched the show last night and I'll catch all the repeat telecasts.

I think the fun part will begin when the participants go to the bases and interact with the pilots and airmen. And of course when they fly the jets!

The opening sequence of the Kargil ops was nicely put together...and the title score by Leslie (of the former Hariharan/Leslie duo fame) is pleasant.

I was pleasantly suprised by the number of women that showed up all eager to join the IAF or fly jets! One girl in particular remarked that it was her dream to fly the "epitome of fighter aircraft...the Su-30MKI"!!!

Hopefully some of these girls can come on to BR and take part in the discussions...it is always good to have the intuitive female perspective on strategic and military issues. Balances out the jingos.

Added later: here is the online schedule of the shows-

Mission Udaan
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Airavat wrote:Yes I watched the show last night and I'll catch all the repeat telecasts.

I think the fun part will begin when the participants go to the bases and interact with the pilots and airmen. And of course when they fly the jets!

The opening sequence of the Kargil ops was nicely put together...and the title score by Leslie (of the former Hariharan/Leslie duo fame) is pleasant.

I was pleasantly suprised by the number of women that showed up all eager to join the IAF or fly jets! One girl in particular remarked that it was her dream to fly the "epitome of fighter aircraft...the Su-30MKI"!!!

Hopefully some of these girls can come on to BR and take part in the discussions...it is always good to have the intuitive female perspective on strategic and military issues. Balances out the jingos.

Added later: here is the online schedule of the shows-

Mission Udaan

One of my classmates (Akshat Jain, Bangalore... chest no. 2019?) is amongst the 5 selected. They are presently in Lohegaon for a shoot. :twisted:

And... the selections were very SSB like.... missed 1/2 half hour of the show... what was it all about?
Marcos
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Marcos »

Hello guys ....

tomorrow there is a programme called "Pride & Service" on DD News @11.00 am.

Not sure if its a regular programme, but i did hear abt the same from DD Marathi one quite a back, so anyone interested can record the same and post it. BTW, the visuals seems like it is covering trhe recent Exercises.

So u guys don miss it .... GN
George J

Post by George J »

Holy crap...for once Marcos posting something in less that 40,000 words...and that not related to him beratin g us Neanderthals for not recognizing the superiority of Russian h/w (or our American daddies) and.......here is the kicker....someone actually read what he had to say!!!!
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

George J wrote:Holy crap...for once Marcos posting something in less that 40,000 words...and that not related to him beratin g us Neanderthals for not recognizing the superiority of Russian h/w (or our American daddies) and.......here is the kicker....someone actually read what he had to say!!!!
Put a sock in it, will ya? If it were'nt for his timely reminder, I would have certainly missed that excellent programme.

It was on the Indian Navy and had some rare footage - Searchers taking off and landing at Garuda, Ka-28s dropping depth charges, a Seaking blowing a mock sub target away, Harrier T.4s, and yes, a P-3C at Dabolim!! :eek:

The T.4s shown had IFR probes. They have also been seen without them which means they've been fitted for a purpose.

This week's Mission Udaan, on the AFA, was great - unlike the previous episode! Superb footage of HPT-32s, HJT-16s and Chetaks.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Sunday afternoon's programme was one of it kinds, the quality of the program was at par with those of Discovery Channel. It gave good insight on Navel training program. Good shots of Harrier and Sub simulators apart for other footing mentioned by Harry. Shots of Naval Electrical & Electronics school were officers were shown undergoing various electronic warfare training was great.
Some of the footing show were of rarest kind least expected to be shown on DD. I hope someone has recorded this programme.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

dinesha wrote:Sunday afternoon's programme was one of it kinds, the quality of the program was at par with those of Discovery Channel. It gave good insight on Navel training program. Good shots of Harrier and Sub simulators apart for other footing mentioned by Harry. Shots of Naval Electrical & Electronics school were officers were shown undergoing various electronic warfare training was great.
Some of the footing show were of rarest kind least expected to be shown on DD. I hope someone has recorded this programme.
Is there a repeat telecast, by any chance??
George J

Post by George J »

Harry wrote:Put a sock in it, will ya? If it were'nt for his timely reminder, I would have certainly missed that excellent programme........
Good do you have a copy to share with us? I guess not. If not its all moot. If you do then its a different story.

A picture as you know very well is better than a 1000 words. :twisted:
Marcos
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Marcos »

k found it ...

there is a special programme on DD News (?) tonight on 1971 war, there is a repeat telecast of the same on 18 the Dec at 11.00pm

As often with DD, there are old videos, the clips also showed some depth charges in action. ... u guys don miss it .... there is a repeat telecast on 18 th De at 11.00 pm ..... i'm not sure if its on DD News or DD national, u guys plz check it out, hope u r also recording the same

Another being Mission Udaan has got repeat telecast atleast once and the one i saw was on Monday at 11.00 pm.
i'll give some on that laters ... let me find one more quote regarding the same .....

BTW, does anyone have the video if that programme on Navy Day?? ..... I did not watch the programe so can some one provide the recording of the same??

Harry, do u got the recrdings??
Ash Sharma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ash Sharma »

Some interesting snippets from Jane's

As already reported on BR Raul Bedi has reported that Agni 3 will fly in 2006. He alleges that military sources have reported that the testing had been deferred under pressure from the US!!. Yup the same people who stopped us from going Nuclear, forced us to sign the NPT, FMCT, NBT.......

Bedi also states that serial production of Agni IRBM has also begun and that they will be inducted into relevant units in the army. The tone relates to the matter as a recent event and does seem to fly in direct contradiction to reports in Jane's Intelligence that gave the number of operational units at more that 30 earlier this year with IOC as early as 2000.

He also reports that DRDO sources have indicated that the SU30MKI will be carrying 3 BRAHMOS missiles. one under fuselage and one under each wing.

For those on BR who sometimes have harsh words for the LCA there was this gem on the fc1 thunder, "The FC-1 is planned to be a fully fly-by-wire (FBW) aircraft. However, the flight control system (FCS) has FBW in the yaw axis only, with conventional controls for pitch and roll." My my this superpower lizard has still not perfected FBW in its latest fighter!!

Let us all remember that by mid 2000 a full quadraplex redundant FBW system was available for the LCA and the product was made in INDIA.

I an unrelated magazine International Air Power Review there is a beautiful 2 page colour spread on HAL helo upgrades, Lancer, Cheetal and Chetan. It may be worth someone's time to contact the author David Willis for consent to publish the six photos.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Apparently its not going to be upgraded either, since the Pakis cant afford it. :P
From the Oracle Forum.
Ash Sharma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ash Sharma »

JCage wrote:Apparently its not going to be upgraded either, since the Pakis cant afford it. :P
From the Oracle Forum.
I can hear it already "More paper for the Xerox machine please"

:lol:
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

shiv wrote:
[snip]
Kakarat wrote:posted by George J in Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums
A request:

Can someone upload the autocar-alh article again. The rapidshare account seems to have maxed out and no longer allows download. Try filefront, it seems to be faster.

TIA.
sankum
BRFite

Post by sankum »

Retry, I successfully downloaded the autocar alh article
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

pauldevis
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pauldevis »

There was also an article on the Arjun by Autocar some time back, does anyone know where I can find that ? (now that I have broadband :D )
Raju

Post by Raju »

'Defence Watch' on DD News @ 3:30 p.m. today.

Managed to catch the last bytes where Shri Bharat Karnad was answering a question from Major General Mehta about the future direction of the Indian Armed forces. I heard BK mentioning something about the need for the IA to be an 'expeditionary force' atleast beginning with the South Asian region with 2 divisions of special forces dedicated to this purpose.

Secondly need for a comprehensive Nuclear command & control which he believes are quite nascent and immature as of now.

Thirdly need for CDS, sooner than later to thrash out all the above stuff, but he isn't too optimistic that it is going to happen anytime soon.

Fourth the extensive training with American and foreign forces which as of today is at a never before scale for the Indian armed forces. As a result as per BK there is a certain cohesion and better understanding between the Indian and foreign armed forces.

This is just from the last 5 minutes of the show. Someone plz watch the whole episode. DD News website doesn't have the dates when Repeat Telecast for this program is going to happen.

The other participants are

Major General Mehta

N. K. Raghavan

Lalit Mansingh
Praveen
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Praveen »

check this blog: http://intellibriefs.blogspot.com

good one.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Latest issue of Vayu (I/2006)

*Four page feature on Brahmos
*Indias Missile Program (Pritvhi and Astra) by Arun S (4 pages)
*Exercise Desert Strike - Onsite report
*Project Rhino - T72 Upgrade Program by Nitin
*Feature on the R172 BVRAAM Program - Sayan Mazumdar (India Defence)
*Cope India 05 Photos - onsite report
*Indian Air Force in MONUC - Pushpindar Singh Chopra
*Mighty Jets fly MBTs to Jaffna and Leh - Gp Capt AG Bewoor
*When it went horribly wrong - Air Marshal AK Goel

The last article mentioned talks about the 'lost oppurtunity' to send the NSG Quick reaction team to stop the IC814 Hijacking to Kandhahar. The author was with the ARC and writes
- The notification was received at 4:40pm
- Il-76 aircraft and crew ready by 5.15 pm
- aircraft with combat troops in it ready for take off by 5.45pm
- NSG troop commander (Brig) did not know the location of his troops.. arrives only at 6.15pm (after contact by cellphone)
- Aircraft still cant take off becausse it is mandatory to have one director each from IB, RAW and Home Ministry. They never arrive.
- decision to take off anyway taken at 7.15pm
- As ac lines up on runway at 7.30 pm, info comes in that the airliner took off from amritsar for lahore.
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Jagan, did you see anything 'new' reported regarding the R-172 project. By new I mean different from what has been said about it in the past.
sbangera
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sbangera »

Came across this artible in Reuters and was suprised to read
Great Nicobar island lies just 65 miles (100 km) from Sumatra and was considered vulnerable when Indonesian President Sukarno offered to take the islands to help Pakistan during its 1965 war with India.
Does anyone know more about this?

EXCLUSIVE-India set for major military expansion in Andamans
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

Dinesha wrote
It gave good insight on Navel training program. Good shots of Harrier and Sub simulators
<ogling mode> Must have been one heck of hip(ster) hop program, all low raise kind I guess and lots of enrollment into that training?<ogling ends> :D

should that be Naval? :cry:
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolkatta

can someone edit that page with a map of india with kokata in it that does not show arunachal pradesh as "disputed." I can't find the right map.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Significance of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/MONITOR/I ... nanda.html
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Jagan,

:shock:

Totally taken by surprise!
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

JCage wrote:Jagan,

:shock:

Totally taken by surprise!
Ah well, dont be.. this is the standing agreement between VAYU and BR. We use their stuff , and they can use ours. Vikramjit (Managing Editor) must have liked your piece..
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

SKUNK WORKS -is the true story of americas most secret and sucessful aerspace operation .As recounted by Ben Rich the operaions briliant boss for nearly two decades ,the chronicle of lockheeds legendary skunk works is a dram of ocld war confrontations and gulf war air combat.Of extraordinary feats of engineering and human achievement against fantastic odds .Here is an up close look at some of worlds best aerospace engineers and scientists who made he skunk wrks so special filled with so many telling personal anecdotes and high adventure with narratives of pilots who flew the u-2 s and sr -71s and cia operatives .

The projects discussed in detail are

- u-2
- sr 71
- unmanned supersonic drone
-f-117
-problems of b-2 and reasons for its cost overrun
-some reference to f-22

The chapters i liked most are the ones dealing with development of sr-71 and f-117 .Like the problems of making the first titanium aircraft o the stealth aircraft for example . How the russians made u-2 overflights very very risky and futile attempts of mig 25 to intercept sr-71 overflights .

Ben Rich headed skunk works from 1975 to 1991 perhaps the most memorable years and before that as part of the team .

The book is costly - us$ 15 or canadian dollar 22.95 . Igot from landmark in chennai few weeks back . It is written so well that it is difficult to put down as it clears the secrecy cowebs and lets us know how with a budget of 30 million f-117 prototype was made

Anice anecdote alexender tupolov once told ben "yu make your aircraft like rolex ,when it drops off the table it stops ticking while we russians make it like a cheap alarm clock ,it drops from table and still wakes you up next morning "

I think nothing can describe the competing us-russia aerospace industry better than this"

If you guys lthen maybe i can post some more