G.I.A.N. program: Global Initiative Of Academic Networks

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

G.I.A.N. program: Global Initiative Of Academic Networks

Post by UlanBatori »

OK, as bogus an acronym as it gets, but this stands for an initiative by the GOI to bring in phoren phaculty to teach short courses (5 days/10 days) in an Indian institution on some subject, typically what is **NOT** offered in the institution or otherwise readily available in India. Typically costs Rs. 500 to sign up in the portal + Rs. 6000/course if it is a non-student, and Rs. 2000 for a student. Academic credit is given, e.g., 1 semester credit for a 5-day course, 2 for a 10-day course.
Objectives of the program are given here
The proposed GIAN is envisaged to achieve the following objectives:

To increase the footfalls of reputed international faculty in the Indian academic institutes.
Provide opportunity to our faculty to learn and share knowledge and teaching skills in cutting edge areas.
To provide opportunity to our students to seek knowledge and experience from reputed International faculty.
To create avenue for possible collaborative research with the international faculty
To increase participation and presence of international students in the academic Institutes.
Opportunity for the students of different Institutes/Universities to interact and learn subjects in niche areas through collaborative learning process.
Provide opportunity for the technical persons from Indian Industry to improve understandings and update their knowledge in relevant areas.
Motivate the best international experts in the world to work on problems related to India.
Develop high quality course material in niche areas, both through video and print that can be used by a larger body of students and teachers.
To document and develop new pedagogic methods in emerging topics of national and international interest.
Guidelines:
Union Cabinet has approved a programme titled Global Initiative for Academic Networks (GIAN) in Higher Education aimed at tapping the talent pool of scientists and entrepreneurs internationally to encourage their engagement with the institutes of Higher Education in India so as to augment the country's existing academic resources, accelerate the pace of quality reform, and elevate India's scientific and technological capacity to global excellence. GIAN is envisaged to catalyse higher education institutions in the country, and that it will initially include all IITs, IIMs, Central Universities, IISc Bangalore, IISERs, NITs and IIITs subsequently cover good State Universities where the spinoff is vast. GIAN is an evolving scheme which will initially include participation of foreign faculty in Institutes as Distinguished / Adjunct / Visiting faculty / Professors of Practice, etc., to participate in delivering Short or Semester-long Courses. Other activities will be included in due course.

Each approved GIAN activity / course will be displayed in the GIAN portal. It will be the responsibility of the Host Institution to arrange for the conduct of the courses. This includes call for participation, registration, selection of participants, collection and disbursement of funds, contact and arrangements for national and international experts, arrangements for classes, accommodation, provision of certificates, conduct of examinations if any, credit transfer issues, creation of content and archival / maintenance of repository, linking with GIAN portal, submission to National Digital Library, etc. Each host Institution will maintain their local GIAN portal which will be connected to the main GIAN portal.

It is expected that each such course will be transmitted on-line and/or video recorded for others to view later through the local and national GIAN portal and the National Digital Library. All permissions for the same will be taken by the Host Institution. Typically many such courses may offer not only participation certificates but also allow participants to acquire credits. The Host Institution will allow for transfer of credits if required by institutions of participating institutions. Guidelines for credit sharing will be developed in due course by GIAN Implementation Committee for consideration by various Institutes.

The courses offered by a host institution should be made available for participation from other Institutions. In general it is not expected that more than 50% participants will be from the Host Institution. For courses offering credits, it should follow all standard norms of the Host Institution including continuous evaluation through assignments, quizzes, etc. and examinations like class tests, terminal examinations. Proposals can have scope for inclusion of Teaching Assistants. Results should be declared within one month of the completion of the course. Priority should be given to students taking the course for credit than those who only participate without credits. Other details will be defined in due course by a suitable Sub-Committee designated by the GIAN Implementation Committee.

I am requesting the Bredatorullahs' indulgence to keep this thread alive for a few days to collect some facts/ experience on this. The central organization is IIT Kanpur,

but 512 courses are apparently approved and they are all over the place.

Specifically sought:
Anyone who has taken such course(s)
Anyone who has TAUGHT such course(s)
Anyone who has seen them from a distance.
Trying to find out all I can, pls. Thx onlee.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: G.I.A.N. program: Global Initiative Of Academic Networks

Post by disha »

Dear GIANi Batori.,

What are you looking for?

In the list., several are already taken - for example:

Computational Service Science
Course Area : Mathematical & Computer Sciences
Foreign Faculty :Prof. Aditya Ghose, University of Wollongong, , Australia
Host Faculty : Dr. Ramrao Wagh, Department of Computer Science and Technology

Does that mean., Some foreign faculty will be visiting the Host faculty to teach in a particular course area? And the above course area is already covered?

Or are you looking to fill some new areas with faculty? OR are you looking for students?

And does it have to be a university faculty? What about people from non-university or can be paired with university?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Want to find out about experience of what actually goes on there. Who signs up? Why? Most particularly How do/many ishtudantz from outside those institutions find out about these, and how/why do they sign up? (See note about Free Hostel Accommodation etc in their announcement) Who pays their fees? I can't imagine living somewhere in peace and one day saying:
Let me pay Rs. 6000 so I can spend 30 hours being tortured by some bore from Mongolia/Siberia lecturing me on some obscure topic, and then subjecting me to 3 tests and 5 homework assignments in 2 weeks!
Why not spend Rs. 100 and buy a board with 200 nails and sleep on that instead, hain? Or spend nothing and just try standing on one's head at home all day for 5 days?

When are these classes conducted? (Presumably regular daytime must be pretty filled-up with courses already?) Do they do / expect to do homework? Grades?

Any True Confessions / Exposes of the True Realities? Maybe these are just grand parties? My Evil 6th Coujin thrice removed, once gave a 1-day course at Jee Eeee ArrNDee Center in White Plains Blooru. Wow! :eek: One continuous party. Audience was spell-bound and speechless because they were getting so much exercise walking back to the food tables and stuffing themselves. Only poor E6C was kept busy all day flipping slides that no one paid the slightest attention to.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

UB,

A small request. Can we please utilize spell check in this gyani thread?

Thx.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Come 2 think of this, I think there is a G.I.A.N. course on Spell-Checking offered at JNU, featuring Prof. Pooh Bin Bah Al Bilayati from Ox-Ford. :roll: But request noted, will clean up language if there is any seriously useful info coming in. There is a good and urgent purpose in going to the trouble of digging up the info above, hain?

BTW, the ONLY user experience found on this is at (never mind..)
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Pretty impressive - some of the videos work on my computer. Since Dhoni has retired, and Mandira Bedi has moved on to greater things (in a manner of speaking) one might as well learn about Surface Tension or Email as Disruptive Technology (the only 2 videos working). But hey, it's a course being taught far away, just a day ago, and they already have it up on the 'Net.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Just as I thought - no wonder they don't show the audience on those videos. This is like Gingrich giving fiery speeches in an empty Hall of COTUS.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Gee! The enthusiasm for a really good GOI initiative is awesome. :(

They have these poor chalk-pushers talking for 9 hours a day!!! Edited, compressed YouTube videos are 3 hours long - and that's one session!!! :eek: :eek:

I can only imagine the undivided attention of the students. Surely they must have a whole buffet spread at the back of the room?

Hello? No students/faculty here at BRF to provide some gyan on GIAN? :((
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Dear GIANi Batori'ji.,

It turns out I am not in Desh and not in a position to afford to take a lecture ... But (big darkha butt here)., if I get a one week free hostel/food with some per-diem in an exotic locale like Goa or Andamans (and not the cellular jail)., I may be motivated to bore some students!!
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Go to the website and turn on a video. You might become knowledgeable on Production Economics, or Surface Tension, or something. So far, very boringly One Gender only. I tried going to a video of someone named Jyoti... but it turns that is (never mind) Old story of North Indian Unisex Nomenclaturally-Challenged Confusion.

Not like the days when I learned Differential Equations for that one glorious half a semester. The Equations may have been Ordinary, but I was completely Indifferential to that. The lecturer was most certainly not, from front, side or back. :mrgreen: I got a 100% on that Midterm Test. And then they brought in the twerp who was to teach the rest of the semester :evil:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

755 views (make that 756 now) and no one has any comments! Time to delete the thread I think. Will see later today unless Bredators get here first.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

And we complain about babooze having chai-biskut sessions!!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

There was some discussion and quite a few posts about GIAN. I have also posted more than a few posts about GIAN initiative and my perspective -- still available just do a search in BRF with "GIAN").. for example
this one (1)...or this one (2)

Of course my view points are more from science/math angle and not "Spell-Checking offered at JNU" and other aspects you may be interested in. From what I know there are many similar initiatives (Khan academy particularly looking for teaching scientific subjects in Indian languages , IIT's using google hangout ... even initiatives such as popular lectures by experts on recently discovered gravitational waves), GIAN has blessings of NaMo and higher-ups. NaMo personally has talked to US university presidents etc....

But I will let brf alone as there is every probability that this discussion will go as similar discussions in brf go...

But here is what Manjul Bhargava, (the Brandon Fradd Professor of Mathematics at Princeton University, Fields Medalist (sometimes called the Nobel Prize of mathematics), a Padma Bhusan, (Not to mention that yours truly predicted about 4 years ago in Brf that Manjul will get Fields medal)) was one of the first catch of GIAN initiative. He has talked admiringly about the homework Prime Minister Narendra Modi did when he was talking to professors here in US.. MB said:

He [NaMo] had read up on everybody and asked questions related to their field .. It's worth taking a pay cut to come to India,"
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Thanks immensely, AmberGi. So I went back and read the chai-biskoot/yadayadayada when GIAN was a "good egg".

Well, now it has hatched. If you follow those links I had posted above, you can glimpse the (compressed? edited?) reality with 24 hours time lag. What I want to find out is the ground reality check, say as someone would do if they were preparing for the program. NEED DETAILS... IMO. Grand comments from Dr. M. Bhargava are fine, but what is actually happening now? Are the students signing up? How do they come to know of the courses? Are the locals helping to make the program a success, or sitting with their thumbs (never mind) as I may or may not have strong reason to suspect?

The website shows glimpses, but is completely opaque in most respects. For instance, can't even find any trace of the courses that are already past.

One of the advertised points is that the videos/online content would be made completely open and available to ppl (at least in India) in perpetuity. I think the Guidelines say that GIAN offerors have to sign their lives over regarding permission to disseminate.

Well? How and where is the content from the courses already past? For instance, can one find Dr. Bhargava's lectures online? I would love to see what it is like to learn from him, not that I will understand anything.. If nothing else, I would like to see what a stellar teacher is like. Do pearls actually drop out of his mouth? Does the Clear Stream of Reason Wash Away The Dreary Cobwebs Of Superstition?

IOW, is the program being turned into a disaster because the Mantris and the Baboon and the locals are simply not implementing what the PM set out to do?

Anyone hear from / know an actual GIAN teacher? Did s(he) at least come back alive? (Yes, thanks, vina, read that gem of a post, :mrgreen: )
Get their experience at least second-hand?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

So far only IITKGP seems to have got the video working.

Microfluidics and Nanofluidics
Production and Operations Management
Intercultural communication

As for the others:
SRI JAYACHAMARAJENDRA COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING,SRI JAYACHAMARAJENDRA COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
165028K01 : Algorithms for Robot Autonomy

The fine webcast site sits there and blinks.

NIT Raipur, Raipur
Thermo-Fluid Science for Bioengineering & Energy Applications
This webcast hasn't started yet. Please wait. Oh, yeah!
SRI JAYACHAMARAJENDRA COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING,SRI JAYACHAMARAJENDRA COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
155028B01 : Smart Materials for Energy Harvesting/Storage
Applications
Site sits and blinks.
Guru Jambheshwar University of Sc. & Tech,Guru Jambheshwar University of Sc. & Tech.
166016J01 : PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS
IIT Madras has a ton of courses but none of them has any videos.

So it's par for the course. Grand intentions by a Visionary PM. Grand pronouncements by Nobel prize Winners. Even grander pronouncements by the Mantris and Baboon and their Contractors about this and that grand technology. Web Pages with a lot of buttons, most of which don't work. Grand logos.

And the usual state of ground reality. :roll:

On the plus side, there is some indication that there is some wildlife present in those classrooms: I heard laughter at something, indicating someone was awake. The occasional latecomer can be seen walking in front of the video, bookbag and all. Other than that, I didn't see any Interactive Learning, Teamwork, Peer Grading, Role Playing, Out-of-Da-Box Thinking, Creative Energy etc. The MOOCs had teachers doing Mardi Gras/Hula dances etc, fortunately, none of that here either.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

I will say, with *100%* certainty, that there is *first* hand knowledge about GIAN "teachers" here among brfites (definitely > 0) but of course, it is a completely different matter -- what details they care to share(or not share) here..There is plenty of good information for those who are *really*/seriously/honestly interested.

Let me post a very interesting video which describes experiences of teachers and students about such a program.. equally odd acronym (KIAP), but extremely similar to GIAN, and it happened 50 years ago.

Please enjoy this video. It is about 30 minutes long but extremely educational. One will hear perspective - fifty years later - from actual students/teachers. If you are from my generation, you will see a few familiar/well known faces.

Pioneer Batch - 50 Years later Video

For those, who do not know, KIAP was astonishingly similar to GIAN program. Started as a vision of Indian PM and US president. Instead of Modi and Obama the leaders were Nehru and Kennedy.
KIAP ( Kanpur Indo-American Programme took place about 50 years ago. (Yours truly happened to be one of the beneficiary. US schools like MIT provided IITK with professors, labs, coursework etc.

Beneficiary was IIT Kanpur, which was an experiment -- first time in India where rigorous math and physics (more rigorous than normally taught in other schools) was taught in *all* engineering branches.
aka MIT..The professors came for a short stay in India.

As seen 50 years later, one can say that it definitely was a win-win as those universities now have quite a few IIT faculty,

Video is about 30 minutes, It is golden jubilee of 1965 batch. It includes KIAP teachers and students and how it turned out..so if interested, watch the whole video.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Wow! Reminds me of the old Virginia Slimova ad:
We've Come A Long Way Babushka!
Best part is towards the very end: Shiny samovars with food, food, more food! Samosas, Pakoras, and most of these pioneers still have teeth!! :eek:
Awesome video, absolutely worth watching. If one has time... :P
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

If you are ready to spend Rs 6000 - 10000, you can enroll onto a online course and get prestigious "Irani" type certificates from famous "Mongolian" utys. I am taking one, its pretty relaxed as of now, but dont know what will happen when practicals come

its a nine week course, each day you need to spend only 1-2 hours. Taking the course in office after all work is done. Going well as of now
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

ATM Be Praised! Someone who has seen the Ground Reality!

This is very interesting, thanks! Online version - so this is AFTER the main event was done live at some yak-stable before, hain? That makes a lot of sense, so they DO have a bijnej plan to recover expenses after all!!! Awesome. I mean, 100 ppl take online course, they make a neat profit onlee!

9 weeks 2-hours per day is a LOT of work! :eek: So the 10-day Live version is simply to record the proceedings and capture for Distance Learning. Makes sense.

Anyone else out there pls who has experience of LIVE version?

a) I HOPE that's 9 dins, not weeks when taken Live?
b) Do ppl have laptops with them (I mean the students - how else can u pass the time?) Surely imported PPT-pushers don't tolerate ppl Texting While Sleeping in class? :eek:
c) Classes during daytime or evenings?
d) 2 hrs / day, 9 days, is only 18 hours. Come to think of it, Guidelines only said miinimum of 20 hrs sermons from visitors, so I guess that is close enough.
e) Ppl have calculators and use them in class?
f) PRACTICALS? :shock: That sounds like hard work!
g) Lots of tea-breaks? Visits to the cafeteria?
h) How did they advertise? Notice on bulletin boards? Emails cc-all with Brochure attached?
i) Loudspeakers calling all to attend from the Admin Building? Jeep with loudspeakers coming to hostels and waking up ppl to rush to class?
j) How many in class? Do they take attendance?
k) How do they decide who gets Irani Certificates? Minimum pass percentage? Special for UnderRepresented Groups?
l) Anyone ask questions in class and zoom in camera to see instructor sweat?

Oh! Serious question: How did they get the PPTs to you, or don't they? Big Short-Course Folder bound with the Ashoka Stupa / HRD stamp on the cover? Electronic? From videos I see some instructors using very few slides and writing on the board a lot (in fact, amazing handwriting, they CAN'T have taken any Medical School classes!)
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

My friend has completed 6 courses in a package of 9 courses. He will / would have spend around a lakh rupees on this. If you want to stay afloat in job markets, "Irani" type certificates will be handy, all the more good if that is of a prestigious "Mongolian" Uty

I dont know when I will come out of this, but determined to stay afloat for now. Started on the process anyway

Back to GIAN, I am hearing this for first time. Looks like a good initiative. But your question regarding who will get certificates is little problematic. May be they wont give "Mongolian" Uty certificates. It might be only for knowledge purpose and you will get only a course completion certificate from the current institution. Folks who have completed the course can answer

NB: This is the first time, I am seeing the course links from colleges in India, will try that too during free time. Thanks for the links
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I don't think there is anything informal about GIAN courses. They are under HRD Mantri auspices, remember.

The spec in the GuideLines was that each course had to be equivalent to a 1-semester credit (5 days) or 2-semester credit (10 days) course in the offering institution (i.e., desi institution). This puts pressure on the Mongolians, IMO. If one goes and offers a course on, say, "Samosa Appreciation" and panders to the Instructor Praise Rating, then one makes Mongolian standards look bad. OTOH, if one bares Mongolian canines and uses the time-honored strategies and tactics of the Silk Route to whip those (surviving, fittest) yaks over the high mountain ridges of usual Mongolian courses, then one will get skewered in the evaluations and the class may empty on Day 2. Plus, video-compatible courses must be fairly bland, and one speaks slowly and uses uncluttered slides with huge pie-charts instead of filling them up with differential equations and "derivations".

Apparently, deciding the criteria for credit etc is left to the Offering Institution (i.e., nothing to do with Mongolia).

One of the stated criteria was that they were **NOT*** going to use GIAN to cover courses that they already had at the institution, but would use this to gain new knowledge etc. So these certificates are not going to be part of the regular curriculum; however, they may be part of Optional Courses towards a degree. Since it is 1 or 2 credit course that may fit within the flexibility that ppl have. For ppl signing up from outside the university, I don't know how they turn those into Continuing Education Units or whatever is the currency for continuing education.

So certificate if any will say "IIT Madrassa" or one of the other types given above - I have no idea how the 'prestige' is balanced against the 'toughness' or value from the pov of those who register. For instance, is an Irani Certificate from pooh-bin-bah college as prestigious to put up on the wall as one from an eye-eye-tea? I don't think it will say "learned from the Ahmed Bin Sultan Gujranwali Distinguished Professor of Samosa Appreciation, Frau Doktor Ayesha Smirnoffiskaya of U. Vladivostok at Riyadh". Takes too much space.

These are all questions that one would like answered, but they are not as important as the ones I listed.
Last edited by UlanBatori on 06 Jun 2016 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Gyan baanting Batori Saar, skip the "derivations". Kien problem.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Sukriya, VTji. In Samosa Appreciation (SA), Spell-Checking (SC) or Mongolian Basket Weaving (MBW) which is what I was considering proposing, no differential equations or derivations, by the grace of ATM! :eek:
But in engineering, I can't imagine even introductory courses that have none of those. So far I have not seen any engg courses with videos online.
Apparently (per a GIAN Teacher from a desi NIT) they videotaped, but same has not appeared online. This is why I was thinking that maybe the intended product is an Online Course. But they also said they had Practicals all afternoon for several days. :eek:
Fortunately, in Samosa Appreciation that is elegantly accommodated. Spell-checking is harder. Basket-Weaving would be unimaginably hard. :shock:

P.S. How did Prof. Manjul Bhargava teach Calculus with no equations or derivations I wonder. I took Calculus 1 in Eye Eye Tea from a Prof. Das who was Hahvahd retarned. Kept talking in a Bostongali accent, and scribbled odd things on the board that were completely incompatible with the idea of taking notes as a freshman (this was when I was awake, which was not a lot of the time). Kept talking about The Animal (Infinity) which seemed to obsess him. Everyone said he was a Fantastic Teacher but I had no idea why. See above for ODE Teacher then-PhD candidate, who was indeed fan-tastic in every way.

Did not believe in much homework, bless his soul! The horrors of the HUGE and fabulous text by Akademician Nagaraj Piskunov (obtained courtesy of the Akademy of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republic, Madras Consulate for the princely sum of Rs. 10) remained unvisited. Wish I had kept that text!

But centuries later, under the starlit dung-fragrant steppes of Mongolia, I still know not to panic when I see something that tends to 0/0 as one Takes the Limit As Xi tends to Infinity. Just differentiate numerator and denominator and keep doing that until one wins over the other! Which is the only question I got right on the Periodical Test or final exam as I recall. The other thing I learned is that Epsilon can only tend to zero, never to infinity. That and saying "LOppiTHaal" like Inspecteur Clouseau. Can't recall why they actually gave me 50/100 or whatever was needed for Pass.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Main question I have is whether desi students come with laptop computers these days.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Few short comments:
UlanBatori wrote:Thanks immensely, AmberGi..
You are welcome. Also there is plenty of useful information from routine sources.
UlanBatori wrote:..Awesome video, absolutely worth watching....
I think it is. Ran into one of those people when NaMo was visiting silicon valley..such people are actively involved in such project(s).
..can one find Dr. Bhargava's lectures online? I would love to see what it is like to learn from him,... Do pearls actually drop out of his mouth? Does the Clear Stream of Reason Wash Away The Dreary Cobwebs Of Superstition?
Yes I think as a teacher Manjul is awesome, but as they say..

यस्यनास्ति सवयं प्रज्ञा, GIAN'm तस्य करोति किम? लोचनाभ्याम विहिनस्य दर्पणम् किम करस्यति?

(If one can not understand Sanskrit, no need to translate - nothing important will be added and thus one can safely ignore the above sentence.
Last post from me here.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

OTOH, those of us who have attained True GIAN know that one should not get discouraged by these old superstitions about the futility of spreading pearls b4 pakistanis. Anyway, I think it is time to delete this thread, once I bookmark those lecture sites. :mrgreen:
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Interesting link:

The original discussion with all the Local Coordinators at the MHRD

Sadly, as happens in too many desi ventures, the reality appears to have degenerated into 'chalta hai' from the grand intentions. I think the local coordinators are to blame for that - or maybe the realities of dealing with the baboon log.

As these ppl set it out, the intention was to have full videocast, online participation, 50% minimum participation from outside ppl... and the Institutes were to shake their behinds a bit to get said participation. Reality is :rotfl: at least at some places I have heard of. The near-total absence of Live Video also says it all.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

A requiem for a great idea. Apparently GIAN is dead now. But before that happened, it had gone the way of many well-intentioned programs. The program was set up to pay a developed-nation level of $$ for an intensive course experience to be delivered, along with all rights to use the content, broadcasting etc. The payment, to be made in phoren currency, was enough for travel expenses, and about 1/2 month's pay for about 2 weeks of full-time, 3 hrs per day of lecture and rest of the time in preparation.

The IITs did a professional job: They got the courses done, paid the visitors. Whatever they took for the institute's expenses was nominal and reasonable. The NITS were far smarter: senior admins/ retired types ganged up with the GIAN Aphsars and set up a scam where THEY took up to 80% of the money intended for the visitors, and tried recruiting visitors who were anyway going to visit. IOW, they scammed the taxpayer. And got off free AFAIK.

Tragic. Indian "Hire Ejjikashun" is infested with slimy crooks. At least in Yoo Ess the crooks are mostly in administration.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

UlanBatori wrote:That and saying "LOppiTHaal" like Inspecteur Clouseau. Can't recall why they actually gave me 50/100 or whatever was needed for Pass.
UB ji, this small tidbit might amuse you to no end.

L'Hospital's rule was not discovered by L'hospital. He paid somebody to name it after him.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Amber G. wrote:यस्यनास्ति सवयं प्रज्ञा, GIAN'm तस्य करोति किम? लोचनाभ्याम विहिनस्य दर्पणम् किम करस्यति?
Saar, that presupposes that people are born with native intelligence which is antithetical to the idea that people can be taught, if not higher mathematics of Grothendieck, at least the L'Hospital's rule; if not N-body problems, at least two body problems.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Vayutuvan wrote: Saar, that presupposes that people are born with native intelligence which is antithetical to the idea that people can be taught, if not higher mathematics of Grothendieck, at least the L'Hospital's rule; if not N-body problems, at least two body problems.

Where this quote
यस्यनास्ति सवयं प्रज्ञा, GIAN'm तस्य करोति किम? लोचनाभ्याम विहिनस्य दर्पणम् किम करस्यति?
came from also had this - Let me roughly translate it..
Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives, because, if not, there is no point.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Another great idea started by NaMo govt, that has died due to endemic corruption in the Indian "academic" establishment.
FYI:
GIAN was set up to enable phoren-based brofessars to spend 2 weeks in summer (when else could one take 2 weeks off during an academic term, without losing the money needed to pay their mortgage, car loan, children's fees etc. So the deal was:
"Teach a course that is EQUIVALENT to something fairly unique but taught at ur university, and cram a whole semester's worth into 1 to 2 weeks. We will pay $10K equivalent, for 2 weeks, incl. your air fare (which may be 2K for one, 4K for 2ppl) and all the costs of preparing the course for delivery. Stay at Indian institution.
The IITs did this honestly I believe. Sh1ts at the NITs (I know of one but the reaction says that the scam was national) conspired to steal $6K or 7K of the 10K for themselves. The GIAN organizers, when made aware of this, far from blacklisting the NIT and its thieves, went along with them which is the proof that they were also corrupt.

Anyway, sounds like the need for such a program is also over. R.I.P. But it demonstrates the depth and breadth of the corruption in Indian "higher" education.
Time to close this thread.