Indo-UK News and Discussion - April 2013

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ashish raval
BRFite

Re: Indo-UK News and Discussion - April 2013

Post by ashish raval »

rahulsidhu wrote:
ldev wrote:London will continue to do well in FX trading, all pairs/currencies, but inspite of the huge volumes, that business has wafer thin margins. It will lose it's status as a Euro Clearing Center for Euro securities, because the ECB does not want any euro clearing done outside the Eurozone. (Quite a contrast to the PBOC :shock: ) it will lose it's EU passport access which in practical terms means teams of securities salespersons servicing all of the EU but based in London. Other cities such as Dublin and Frankfurt will pick up some jobs as a result, but there will not be any massive build up of either place as an alternative.
Yes, this is pretty much accurate.

One thing to understand is that all these big businesses - be it banks, clearinghouses, money managers - are shape shifters. They have multiple entities across domiciles and the usual response to any change in laws is to pay lip service to it but quietly change entity structure, for instance which entity's name to trade under. This involves a lot of lawyerly work but rarely a physical shift of employees.

A physical shift happens when either the laws leave them with no choice (and many European/UK laws were lately being framed to leave them no choice) or when there is a strategic priority, for instance HSBC considering moving headquarters to Asia. Or a combination of the two.

As things stand, banks had already been considering moving physical locations to Dublin or continental Europe because of the UK bank levy. Brexit will only add weight to that move. I think Paris and Dublin will be the winners but even they will not win in any big way. European financial industry is only a shadow of its formal self.

The UK will then be exporting less financial services to Europe. Will it be making more cars or steel to compensate? It sounds very difficult in these times of overcapacity. So my overall analysis is it was a bad move for the UK, economically speaking. Of course there are other dimensions.
What happens to HSBC in event of Ireland going Greece way or for that matter next financial crisis in HK China? ..who will bail out its 2 trillion balance sheet ? Dublin someone must be joking here..ECB or China? Do you really think big banks will go to tiny nations just to be in EU? Think
Again..you reckon HSBC will be fine in land of dragon lol.. Even even they knew they were bluffing and merely wants UK to reduce the levy and keep more profit..
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

UK I believe will go for commonwealth trading bloc or separate trading bloc of non EURO currency nations.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

^
Ashish saar,
If you are invested in the UK,please to reiterate here a disclaimer or disclosure.
Last edited by Lilo on 26 Jun 2016 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

£18 million a day
A round-trip first class transcontinental ticket on an Oiropean or American airline is ~ $10K. So this will pay for 2000 tickets a day for EU Baboon, not counting the hotel expenses at $350 - $1000 / night in the cities where they stay. Airline and Big Hotel stocks are going to take a hit, not to mention Sturgeon stocks (isn't that what lays caviar eggs?)

As for you
reckon HSBC will be fine in land of dragon
Singapore is small and crowded but surely can accommodate a few more bank staff? Or Switzerland is an obvious choice, it's not more expensive than London is it? Though importing English-speaking ppl who can also count is expensive there.

I am sure Comrade Putin will be glad to make some pre-wired buildings available in Moscow and Petrograd. :rotfl: Superb back-up record-keeping; free long-term accommodations; free vacations in open country..
Or the most obvious choice: New Jignesh Bijnej Jone near Ahmedabad NamoNagar.
member_28663
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28663 »

What happens to HSBC in event of Ireland going Greece way or for that matter next financial crisis in HK China? ..who will bail out its 2 trillion balance sheet ? Dublin someone must be joking here..ECB or China? Do you really think big banks will go to tiny nations just to be in EU? Think
Again..you reckon HSBC will be fine in land of dragon lol.. Even even they knew they were bluffing and merely wants UK to reduce the levy and keep more profit..
Where did I suggest HSBC moving to Ireland? Or that "HSBC will be find in land of dragon"?

The reason I suggested Dublin is because I know for sure that many firms, who are location-agnostic, are looking ar Dublin as an alternative to London. For reasons already mentioned on this forum: low tax, English speaking etc. This is in no way suggesting that any big bank will simply move HQ to Dublin.

The reason I say Paris (rather than Frankfurt or Amsterdam) is simply the sell-side financial landscape of Europe: The major German banks: Commerz and DB have both been decimated. ABN was absored by RBS before it committed a spectacular soosai. Fortis was aquired by BNP and so on.
The only ones left standing are the French banks, although even they are not doing great. The natural choice for them to move would be Paris.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

ireland low taxes and other freebies also attracted semiconductor fabs and electronic manufacturing iirc.

intel alone has 4500 staff there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Ireland

air connectivity , ports, compact size, educated population, english , proximity to EU markets make it attractive from american cos pov vs setting up somewhere near london or some scottish coastal city

england is overly dependent on london imo with 10 mil pop. the next biggest is birmingham with 1 mil and up and comers like bradford and few more with 500k. these are villages by asian megacity stds and dwarfed in cachement area and economic power by the large american metro areas.

individually , euro countries cannot really compete with a continent sized country operating at the same or better tech level, with a unified home market...
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

over stay your visa in Ireland and your butt is GONE. They keep track.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

BBC: Nicola Sturgeon: Scotland could veto Brexit
Nicola Sturgeon: Scotland could veto Brexit

Scotland could try to veto British exit from the European Union, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has told the BBC's Sunday Politics Scotland programme.

When asked about the potential reaction of Leave voters, she said: "It's perhaps similar to the fury of many people in Scotland right now as we face the prospect of being taken out of the EU against our will."
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

BBC:Brexit: Jeremy Corbyn under pressure amid top team revolt
Brexit: Jeremy Corbyn under pressure amid top team revolt

Six Labour shadow cabinet members have quit, and more resignations are expected, in protest at Jeremy Corbyn's leadership over the EU referendum.

Heidi Alexander, Ian Murray, Gloria de Piero, Lillian Greenwood, Lucy Powell and Kerry McCarthy have all resigned.

It comes after Mr Corbyn sacked shadow foreign secretary Hilary Benn.

Mr Corbyn faces a vote of no confidence following a "lacklustre" EU campaign but shadow chancellor John McDonnell said he "wasn't going anywhere".

Mr McDonnell and shadow cabinet members Andy Burnham, Diane Abbott and Emily Thornberry have given Mr Corbyn their support despite the string of resignations.

Shadow defence secretary Vernon Coaker has said he is considering his position.
What a mess of a country! No government and no opposition.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

ashish raval wrote: ... only Germany knows very well how shrewd, cunning and intelligent English people are..
Not everyone is in agreement with you, sir.

NOEL GALLAGHER: PEOPLE ARE TOO STUPID TO VOTE ON BREXIT
NOEL GALLAGHER: PEOPLE ARE TOO STUPID TO VOTE ON BREXIT

Noel Gallagher, that ever outspoken bastion of British music, doesn’t think there should even be a EU referendum—because 99 percent of the population is “thick as pig shit.”

The former Oasis star told Canada’s CBC News he doesn’t believe the referendum should be open to the public and Britain’s status in the European Union should be decided by the government.

"Do I think we should leave? I don't think we should be given a vote,” he said.

Gallagher continued in his infinite profane word-mastery: "I see politicians on TV every night telling us that this is a ****** momentous decision that could ****** change Britain forever and blah, blah, blah. It's like, okay, why don't you ****** do what we pay you to do which is run the ****** country and make your ****** mind up? What are you asking the people for? 99 percent of the people are thick as pig shit."

"They [politicians] didn't ****** ask us for a referendum when they were going off to war, did they?” he added.

The colloquial term given to the referendum, Brexit, meanwhile, Gallagher pontificated “sounds like a cereal—a bowl of Brexit.” Thanks for that illuminating thought, Noel.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The funny thing is that the Opposition was in favor of exactly the same thing as the PM wanted - and BOTH lost to The People. :rotfl:
OTOH, didn't Preety Patel, Minister for Employment, come out in total support of LEAVE? So the PM had to resign because 'his party' won the referendum that he called, but against his own wishes. This is called "Stepping on one's own mijjile".
If you are invested in the UK,please to reiterate here a disclaimer or disclosure.
That's like "everyone who uses Chemicals please raise your hand". If you own mutual funds that have any sort of international diversification, chances are that you are 'invested in the UQ'. I know that I own enough to buy a pencil at JP Morgan, but that is not why my yak-dung holdings got smacked by a solid 5 percent AT LEAST on just fridin. :(( JP Morgan also dropped by around that much. Some MAJOR investment houses came out with
Our Assessment of the BREXIT
of course telling ppl to DON'T PANIC YAAR, and hold fast like Da Boy Hu Stood On Da Burning Deck. THAT is what scared the knickers off me. :eek: I think they did that on 9/13/2001, then in Feb. 2008 when it was already sort-of too late, etc.
Major reason why I am on this thread. Fear, mixed of course with joy.

BTW, Gallagher makes a telling point in his "3-star King" rant. They didn't hold a referendum to go invade Iraq or destroy Syria. Or invade the Suez Canal, apparently. :rotfl:
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

UB, the sentiment in the financial markets is basically:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RIgs3eygo

And, the sentiment outside the financial markets is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wpUMJC3-2MM
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 926041.cms

This is becoming childish. But I guess EU super babus are accustomed to doing the same for decades, and they are not going to change anytime soon. Reasons:

1, They do not like uncertainty. (how about the life of working people who lost their job after being told it is ok to work for couple of hours a day)
2. They do not want to other nations to go for voting. ( Why they care? They do not know how to have a Lisbon Treaty 2.0?)
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

I voted remain and I am more than happy to accept majority will, which is leave. All the people wishing/expecting doom and gloom for Britain will have egg on their face. No such thing is going to happen. Discrimination is almost zero here. Some idiots throwing cards "No more Polish vermin" dosen't make this country unwelcoming to immigrants. People know very well migration will never stop, what they wanted was control over who comes in.
Shanu
BRFite

Post by Shanu »

jagga wrote:People know very well migration will never stop, what they wanted was control over who comes in.
Exactly the point I'm hearing from my friends based in London. Even if you see the Brexit movie which became very popular on Youtube, they talked about expanding trade relationships with China/India because that is where the economic growth is. How does that coincide with the anti-immigration rhetoric.

I feel the anti-immigration point of view is a 'bogey-man' created by the losing Europhilic elite class. The change that is expected of this vote is that the elites will lose their easy money and the hard working/industrious people (which includes Indian immigrants) will find new avenues for business and development. Of course, this is bad for the elite class. Think of what we saw in India when the King Cong mai-baap lost the elections in 2014. All hell broke loose in terms of 'intolerance/saffronization'. Now replace 'intolerance' wih 'immigrant' and see the same game played in the UK. Of course there will be a few nutcases who will associate Britishness with skin colour and english accent, but if they were the majority, then the Brexit camp would not need to come up with the positive vision of global trade in their campaign.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

jagga wrote:I voted remain and I am more than happy to accept majority will, which is leave. All the people wishing/expecting doom and gloom for Britain will have egg on their face. No such thing is going to happen. Discrimination is almost zero here. Some idiots throwing cards "No more Polish vermin" dosen't make this country unwelcoming to immigrants. People know very well migration will never stop, what they wanted was control over who comes in.

Jasvir Singh ‏@_JasvirSingh 4h4 hours ago
I've lost count of number of South Asian friends subjected to racist abuse on streets of UK since Thurs. Thank you #Brexit
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

I don't give a damn to what some Jasvir singh says on twitter!
JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

When the loot from the colonies that sustained for so long has been exhausted. Nature is a perfect exacting task master. Karma is a female dog, as wise one said eons ago. The comeuppance might manifest in different ways. The fact is that upper stiff lip has lot of consternation in accepting the verdict favored by football hooligans, the real britania in all its glory. Well, what does one know. Maybe there is still some chance that hubris might take some more time for the reality to be noticed.
Where is that misogynist buffoon agent 007, when her majesty desperately needs to remedy the situation?
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

eklavya wrote:What a mess of a country! No government and no opposition.
that perfectly sums up current situation^
https://twitter.com/mrneilmorrow/status ... 8763457536

http://news.sky.com/video/1717859/islam ... rexit-plan

this is a must see
Last edited by IndraD on 26 Jun 2016 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Gut racism doesn't differentiate between a Paki and an Indian, and I have faced it. An average Brit on road has no idea who the hell an Indian is or a Paki, for them every colored person is a Paki and non white a mosquito. Immigrants are taking over their jobs and Muslims need to be stopped, some where these two are mixed up.
Last edited by IndraD on 26 Jun 2016 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

JwalaMukhi wrote:When the loot from the colonies that sustained for so long has been exhausted. Nature is a perfect exacting task master. Karma is a female dog, as wise one said eons ago. The comeuppance might manifest in different ways. The fact is that upper stiff lip has lot of consternation in accepting the verdict favored by football hooligans, the real britania in all its glory. Well, what does one know. Maybe there is still some chance that hubris might take some more time for the reality to be noticed.
Where is that misogynist buffoon agent 007, when her majesty desperately needs to remedy the situation?
He is stuck in immigration control.

Every 007 James Bund movie will now be 3-6 hours long because Bund has to stand in line at the immigration counter.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

post-Brexit racism has hit the streets of the UK
Immigrants are being told to go home and sent hate mail as evidence mounts that post-Brexit racism has hit the streets of the UK.

Former Conservative chairwoman Baroness Warsi told Sky News that race hate crime organisations had reported some "disturbing early results".

And she blamed the "divisive and xenophobic" leave campaigning during the EU referendum.

Police are investigating a racist attack on a Polish community building in London and hate notes posted through the doors of Polish residents in Cambridgeshire.

There were also scores of accounts of post-Brexit racism being posted on social media.

One woman tweeted how her daughter saw a Muslim woman surrounded by a gang of men in Birmingham telling her to "get out, we voted leave".

Speaking to Sky's Dermot Murnaghan, Lady Warsi said she wanted leave campaigners "to come out and say that the campaigning was divisive and was xenophobic and give a commitment that future campaigning and the way that they intend to run this country will be united, will make people from all backgrounds feel like they belong".

She added: "I've spent most of the weekend talking to organisations, individuals and activists who work in the area of race hate crime, who monitor hate crime, and they have shown some really disturbing early results from people being stopped in the street and saying look, we voted Leave, it's time for you to leave.
http://news.sky.com/story/1717862/polic ... s-on-poles
JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

He is stuck in immigration control.
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Decisions, decisions, deicsions...
Which kind of racism has more support?
1) The closet type - practiced by stiff upper lip - queen's monarchy followers
or
2) The garden variety - practiced by football hooligans.
Last edited by JwalaMukhi on 26 Jun 2016 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
Shanu
BRFite

Post by Shanu »

What is really intriguing to me is the apparent young population who thinks that the older generation robbed them of their future. So to this young population, it is not important to go out and choose their own leaders or the course of their nation. They are happy what the so called elites tell them to do - with no accountability. In many cases, they are not even willing to go out and vote to exercise their democratic right. This is an dangerous precedent, how the young generation - the group who are supposed to ask questions about liberty and rights, about power to control their own future is slowly being compromised using 'liberal education network' and 'the paid intelligentsia'.

This is the future that the Western elites wanted to create in Indian universities as well. A crowd which will shout about liberalism and yet cannot take a stand for the very basic right of liberty - the right to choose by vote. This is just plain lazy. And whats more, the British young is now questioning the majority's choice and asking for a re-poll or questioning the sanctity of the vote. So subtly they are raising a question on democracy itself. People cannot be trusted to take the right decision. Only the leaders know best. If this is not the rise of fascism, then pray tell me, what is?
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

why would anyone expect no resentment from tidal wave immigration?

the globalists thought they had everything under control........except they didn't control the popular vote.

and they may not control it in America either. we'll have to wait and see......although the media is controlled by the globalists and those who have either no particular national allegiance (Murdock) or dual allegiance to some other country like Israel.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

It's time the "Leave" Campaign leaders start going out of their way to show their support for ethnic minorities like Indians and Caribbeans and Africans.
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

IndraD Sir, some incident here and there will happen. They were happening in past , they will certainly keep happening in future. Overall we all are living and enjoying happy and successful lives in UK. We were given opportunities by this country, we grabbed, we are doing not bad. Indian community has seen lot of success and thriving very well. Some Chu****s are there in every country, overall it's not bad.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

TSJones wrote:why would anyone expect no resentment from tidal wave immigration?.
There is no resentment when the immigrants are hard working law abiding people.

London has experienced the most immigration and voted overwhelmingly to Remain.

UKIP support is actually highest in areas where immigration is low:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... rants.html

The real problem is the tidal wave of ignorance and prejudice, not immigrants.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

TSJones wrote:.....although the media is controlled by the globalists and those who have either no particular national allegiance (Murdock) or dual allegiance to some other country like Israel.
Murdoch's main paper (The Sun) supported Leave. Please try and corroborate your views with a fact or two.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

NassimNicholasTaleb ‏@nntaleb Jun 24
Today, the United States have acquired 4 new shadow states: England, London (sic), Wales, and possibly Scotland.

NassimNicholasTaleb ‏@nntaleb Jun 23
Brookings needs to be... diminished, purged, and debullshitvendorified @MaxAbrahms
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

RajeshA wrote:It's time the "Leave" Campaign leaders start going out of their way to show their support for ethnic minorities like Indians and Caribbeans and Africans.
Yes I do agree, if the result outcome is making some people (and many muslims) uncomfortable , some reassurance from political leaders will help.

Also, We do know now days there is so much anger against Islam and muslims. But is it only in UK? Read TOI comments on muslims, man I tell you any muslim hater will have so much fun reading TOI comments section!
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ashish raval wrote:I can clearly see that lot of people clearly does not know UK who I believe will be no 2 in the world right now in terms of basic science research.right from invention of graphene to making engines for Airbus. They clearly see UK as simple clearing houses of these trades and pretty much don't understand that UK is not you see in media. There is a UK which resides in Oxford Cambridge imperial ucl kings Manchester Southampton whose students make up its basic strm workforce and are head to head with iit iisc pedigrees and world class innovators. Those who see this nation as little Englanders has clearly not accessed the top echelons of this nation. I have and can tell you this country produces best of its class creative, legal, financial and scientific talent..London alone has skyline and assets worth 8 trillion of the back of 1.5 trillion in debt no one knows how much gold bank of England has it was 7 floors as far as rounds are concerned. They are doing good in financial tech innovation, broadcasting, sports yada yada
..to see it as mere financial powerhouse is a folly..
Their achievements are built on the back of importing or extracting the best talent and funding it with the spoils of the trading and colonial gains. What's more, for the past 400 years, this was their establishment track. The life of the mango man has never been well considered. The establishment decided what suited long term pragmatism.

So I think it's not that others are not understanding British developed capability, but that you're not recognizing what just happened. For the first time in history, the plebes overrode an establishment action of significant long term consequence. The EU engagement permitted funds, personnel, technology and interaction to continue between continental and British entities. It also enabled Britain to serve as the bridgehead between US and EU for the same thing. That gave them access to the best of US and the best of EU. They get the Trident, US bomb tech and other things on one end, and CERN, Airbus etc on the other. Their gains were the result of hooking themselves to the right buses.

What they just did, is to blow a big hole right at the bottom of that ship. They let the unemployed angry people of Sunderland and elsewhere decide what direction UK takes, and not London's elite. All these 100s of years, London has controlled things, and 'managed' the plebes. The greatest catastrophe to UK here is that they let the common man wreck a project that the establishment had aggregated over the course of decades of EU engagement. This Brexit is the antithesis of everything the UK did in its self interest all these centuries. Britain has never been isolationist - its engagement and control that gave them power.

It'll show up in the form of financial entities moving first, but every other area - higher education, technology, R&D will all be hurt. Remember, when UK originally negotiated those deals, they were just a setting world power, still comparatively much stronger than a fledgling EU. Now EU is a power in its own right, UK is a shadow of its past self, and no longer in a position to renegotiate the same deals from outside the tent that they just walked out of.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

eklavya wrote:
TSJones wrote:.....although the media is controlled by the globalists and those who have either no particular national allegiance (Murdock) or dual allegiance to some other country like Israel.
Murdoch's main paper (The Sun) supported Leave. Please try and corroborate your views with a fact or two.
Murdock has no particular national allegiance except to himself. I stand by that claim.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

With the fall in the value of Sterling, Tata Steel UK may actually start making a profit!! Because the post Brexit negotiations will almost certainly result in a UK-EU free trade agreement allowing for duty free UK steel exports to Europe. The services part especially financial services is where ze French will try and shaft London by trying to promote Paris as an alternative center. Not that they will have much luck with it IMO.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

During the French revolution, 1790's or so, the British elites were all disgusted at how those "Frenchies could turn against their own king." That was the backdrop of novels like "The Scarlet Pimpernel," where that guy goes to France, risking his life, to rescue French aristocrats condemned by the people. Not that the reign of terror was anything for France to be proud of, but the whole attitude of the British was "you ingrate French, why did you have to depose your own king?"

The elites of the London world seem to be similarly horrified now at how the plebes could take their own decision.

Next week will surely be an interesting one, when business resumes and the hard decisions need to be addressed. Methinks the first salvos will come from Europe, and the new movers and shakers of the UK will find themselves hard-pressed simply to respond to the European moves, let alone drive the agenda from the UK end.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

ashish raval wrote:UK....who I believe will be no 2 in the world right now in terms of basic science research.right from invention of graphene to making engines for Airbus.
Airbus is an EU construct, with France, Germany and Italy being major partners. I would expect a re-assessment of UK's relation with Airbus as a supplier now. As for science research, no. 2 is a massive stretch. China is spending like crazy (UK cannot outspend China) and quality though dubious a few years ago has improved and will improve. Mainland Europe is not far behind. And lately science has become more about large budget projects like CERN (which is old) and Large Hadron collider; and space projects... all of those are will be re-assessed to the extend of those protocols that were established under EU (and not prior). Basic science is a big hole for money, it will come down to money.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

SriKumar wrote:
ashish raval wrote:UK....who I believe will be no 2 in the world right now in terms of basic science research.right from invention of graphene to making engines for Airbus.
Airbus is an EU construct, with France, Germany and Italy being major partners. I would expect a re-assessment of UK's relation with Airbus as a supplier now. As for science research, no. 2 is a massive stretch. China is spending like crazy (UK cannot outspend China) and quality though dubious a few years ago has improved and will improve. Mainland Europe is not far behind. And lately science has become more about large budget projects like CERN (which is old) and Large Hadron collider; and space projects... all of those are will be re-assessed to the extend of those protocols that were established under EU (and not prior). Basic science is a big hole for money, it will come down to money.
Science is a two way street..if Europe moves Airbus away it will take less than 10 years for uk to build and Airbus competitor with BAE, meggit, qinetiq,cobham,gkn and rolls Royce consortium..on the other hand who will supply engines to Airbus for its a380? CFM - again do you really want American technology think again if so why not rolls Royce? It was a done deal that UK will let Airbus manufacture body with wings and engines supplied by UK and thereby form effective competition to American aircrafts but that was done in name of solidarity. If Airbus moves jobs back I am damn sure there will be UK jumbo et in 10 years in international market..there are only two sectors which UK really took their eye off in last twenty years one was manufacturing and another one is nuclear technology research..everywhere else UK is one of the in class right from invension of maglev, graphene, cancer and antibiotics, architecture, stem cells and pharmaceutical research through to financial technology. In the nuclear energy research and precision manufacturing they gave started concentrating back again in last 5 years which has rattled mainland Europe and they want to share financial pie slice of London to counter that..UK Cern and fusion reactor contribution is quite significant afaik and EU will be mad to make those areas out of reach to UK..besides why would you loose a customer with whom you have 68 billion pounds of trade deficit per year to turn into sour customer who imports from your competitors in your doorstep!!
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Suraj wrote:
ashish raval wrote:I can clearly see that lot of people clearly does not know UK who I believe will be no 2 in the world right now in terms of basic science research.right from invention of graphene to making engines for Airbus. They clearly see UK as simple clearing houses of these trades and pretty much don't understand that UK is not you see in media. There is a UK which resides in Oxford Cambridge imperial ucl kings Manchester Southampton whose students make up its basic strm workforce and are head to head with iit iisc pedigrees and world class innovators. Those who see this nation as little Englanders has clearly not accessed the top echelons of this nation. I have and can tell you this country produces best of its class creative, legal, financial and scientific talent..London alone has skyline and assets worth 8 trillion of the back of 1.5 trillion in debt no one knows how much gold bank of England has it was 7 floors as far as rounds are concerned. They are doing good in financial tech innovation, broadcasting, sports yada yada
..to see it as mere financial powerhouse is a folly..
Their achievements are built on the back of importing or extracting the best talent and funding it with the spoils of the trading and colonial gains. What's more, for the past 400 years, this was their establishment track. The life of the mango man has never been well considered. The establishment decided what suited long term pragmatism.

So I think it's not that others are not understanding British developed capability, but that you're not recognizing what just happened. For the first time in history, the plebes overrode an establishment action of significant long term consequence. The EU engagement permitted funds, personnel, technology and interaction to continue between continental and British entities. It also enabled Britain to serve as the bridgehead between US and EU for the same thing. That gave them access to the best of US and the best of EU. They get the Trident, US bomb tech and other things on one end, and CERN, Airbus etc on the other. Their gains were the result of hooking themselves to the right buses.

What they just did, is to blow a big hole right at the bottom of that ship. They let the unemployed angry people of Sunderland and elsewhere decide what direction UK takes, and not London's elite. All these 100s of years, London has controlled things, and 'managed' the plebes. The greatest catastrophe to UK here is that they let the common man wreck a project that the establishment had aggregated over the course of decades of EU engagement. This Brexit is the antithesis of everything the UK did in its self interest all these centuries. Britain has never been isolationist - its engagement and control that gave them power.

It'll show up in the form of financial entities moving first, but every other area - higher education, technology, R&D will all be hurt. Remember, when UK originally negotiated those deals, they were just a setting world power, still comparatively much stronger than a fledgling EU. Now EU is a power in its own right, UK is a shadow of its past self, and no longer in a position to renegotiate the same deals from outside the tent that they just walked out of.

You mean UK importing people since last 400 years ? I doubt it; colonical spoils yes talent absolutely not continental Europe sneered at uk for being less classical in reading and writing science and not understanding mathematics written by laplace. This country has produced world class geniuses and coupled with learning things from all over the world and applying it they developed. As far as I know I have hardly seen any non white non British working in heart of commercial technology research right from crystal blade technology to design of Aston Martin, rolls Royce or designing UCAV's for BAE systems or designing ARM which is used in every phone in the world or writing algorithms to decrypt any encrypted message..every best in class things in UK is out of reach of any non white non British man..that is fact and to take it out and attribute it to important talent like united states is mockery of hardworking and good talent of UK..I would like to praise talent where ever it is in the firm it is..
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Lilo wrote:^
Ashish saar,
Agreed. Disclaimer I am indeed invested in UK but that does not mean I am any less Indian :) or weak Bharat rakshak..Jai Hind..
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

rahulsidhu wrote:
Where did I suggest HSBC moving to Ireland? Or that "HSBC will be find in land of dragon"?

The reason I suggested Dublin is because I know for sure that many firms, who are location-agnostic, are looking ar Dublin as an alternative to London. For reasons already mentioned on this forum: low tax, English speaking etc. This is in no way suggesting that any big bank will simply move HQ to Dublin.

The reason I say Paris (rather than Frankfurt or Amsterdam) is simply the sell-side financial landscape of Europe: The major German banks: Commerz and DB have both been decimated. ABN was absored by RBS before it committed a spectacular soosai. Fortis was aquired by BNP and so on.
The only ones left standing are the French banks, although even they are not doing great. The natural choice for them to move would be Paris.
These companies invest in London for the type of gains they can make..London is top destination for companies to raise the money apart from network and Tokyo in East.. The best lawyers, accountants,investors, wealth managers and consultants are phone call away for meeting..they invest in London commercial property because they know it will grow at 5 percent steady per annum and they can keep capital gains on it..London experience is different and only network van rival that..ask that to 30 year hedge fund geniuses which transferred their head quartets to Switzerland to take tax benefit..half of them are already back in London..you can move people to Dublin or whatever you can think of but expert London is nowhere to be found and people with money do care about it..even while enjoying moaning about British weather and how overcrowded it's trains are..