Google Earth updates more cities and airports in India

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Google Earth updates more cities and airports in India

Post by Jagan »

Google Earth has updates it imagery to cover more places in India. At last count following new areas are covered in great detail

Chennai City (incl Meenambakam)
Arakonam Naval Air Station
Cochin (And airport)
Trivandrum (And Airport)
Goa (And Dabolim Airport)
HAL Ozhar,
Nagpur (and Sonegaon Airport)
Bhopal (and Bairagarh Airport)
Ahemdabad
Vadodara
Santu Cruz and Juhu Airports (not covered in earlier updates)
Numerous areas on Gujarat Coast
Aurangabad
Calcutta (incl Dum Dum)
Amritsar (incl Rajasansi)
Ambala
Chandigarh
Gorakhpur
The Integrated Testing Range at Balasore

Post your finds, KMZs on this thread.

Remember, posting publicly identifiable items is okay (eg. Ambala Air Base - MiG-21 on tarmac ) is okay, but do not identify specific buildings (COs office, Missile storage building etc), structures etc

-Jagan
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Tupolev 142 Bears at Arakonam NAS.
Sudhir
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sudhir »

How much you wanna bet that Google is a CIA run establishment, what a better way track information than being the most referenced portal on the internet.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Sudhir wrote:How much you wanna bet that Google is a CIA run establishment, what a better way track information than being the most referenced portal on the internet.
The way Google has guboed to Beijing raises my alarm-meter even higher.

Unkil, warts and all is phir bhi preferable to chicommie.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Add

Srinagar,
Awantipur
Thoise

to the list.

The only decent addition on Pakistan is i think the Kahuta reactor.. the res is great for that.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

A very nice update by Google Earth.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Aircraft at Chandigarh. note the Mi-26 on the right

Naval Aviation Museum, Goa

MiG21s at Ojhar

MiG21s at Srinagar
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

AFB Tambaram is just outside the high res area! :x
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Harry wrote:AFB Tambaram is just outside the high res area! :x
For some reason, Chennai's highest resolution seems to be lower than Hyd. resolution. Fort St. George and Madras-Central are not clear at all. Quite a let down :x . OTA area seems much clearer though. Chandigarh had a square patch of green fog when the satellite passed overhead :)
Last edited by SriKumar on 25 Mar 2006 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Philbert
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Philbert »

Jagan wrote:The only decent addition on Pakistan is i think the Kahuta reactor.. the res is great for that.
Hey Jagan Could you post the screenshot of the Kahuta reactor or maybe email me the pic Thanx :)
rkumesh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rkumesh »

Please have look at this....

21o22'45" N
72o10'38" E

Now I know the place is the famous junk yard for ships. But what this aircraft carrier is doing there???? Which one is this? Definately not IN.
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

rkumesh wrote:Please have look at this....

21o22'45" N
72o10'38" E

Now I know the place is the famous junk yard for ships. But what this aircraft carrier is doing there???? Which one is this? Definately not IN.
If thats the Clemencau, these photos are damn recent

Thought that the ship did'nt reach India?
rkumesh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rkumesh »

I thought about it. Doesn't look like. Also, it was supposed to be returned to France.

I am not sure but it looks like it is not an aircraft carrier but may be helicopter carrier? Possible?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

It sure looks like "Clemenceau "
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

kantak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kantak »

Jagan sir could u please post the earth image for dabolim airport.An ongoing struggle is going on in goa fo a second airport at mopa and every day the political parties for and against keep putting up this ad saying that there is no space at dabolim for expansion of the civil airport.You image could clear things up

thanks in advance
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

Check out the home of the Flaming Arrows. Never seen something similar. Any reason for those patches?

The Coast Guard operated F.27s leased from Indian Airlines, from Dum Dum. The lease supposedly expired long ago but the aircraft appear to remain,

One of these is the Proj.71 hangar

rkumesh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rkumesh »

Krishnan, the pic posted by Harry is very different than that ship. Just compare the shapes. Position of the elavetor, etc.

Harry, can you please tell the coordinates of the ship you posted?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

What made me so sure was

Look at the front of both ship
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

krishnan wrote:What made me so sure was

Look at the front of both ship
More Clemeceau pix here (resemblance is strong).
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... u-pics.htm
Last edited by SriKumar on 25 Mar 2006 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Philbert, 'ere you go - the pak nuke reactor. I am not sure if its kahuta, but its SW of Sargodha airfield.

Kantak,

Dabolim airfield

SriKumar, Hyderabad's imagery has been updated to higher resolution in rcent days. (As is Bangalore, Delhi and Pune). You cna tell it by the lighter shade of the center circular area, this is where the updated imagery is..
AmanC
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmanC »

Jagan could you mail me? amanchhina at hotmail dot com
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Jagan wrote:
SriKumar, Hyderabad's imagery has been updated to higher resolution in rcent days. (As is Bangalore, Delhi and Pune). You cna tell it by the lighter shade of the center circular area, this is where the updated imagery is..
I did notice the change in shade. I compared the latest with some jpegs I saved 6 months ago- the resolution/clarity seems to be about the same- maybe a bit better. Not sure what the most recent change is for.
The elevation value also seems to be a bit different , comparing with a couple of older pix. The perspective of the pictures today are definitely different from what it was a few months ago.

(edited once.)
rudradeep
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rudradeep »

Harry those patches are most probably cloud cover.

Checking out 18o34' 42.15'' N 73o55' 12.02'' E reveals a line up of 7 Su-30s.

Also 18o35' 02.47'' N 73o55' 16.90'' E reveals a line up of 5 Jags.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Man- are they skimping on the blast shelters? Everything parked pretty please on the tarmac.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

JCage, that is one sore point. except selected few bases like hindon and gwalior there seems to space / effort to construct HAS wherein 3-4 a/c each can be safely isolated from the rest.

It wont take more than single grenade to ignite a row due to the unspent fuel in the tanks. would be a major disaster and I am sure Abdul's out there are hard at work figuring how to do it and cut the gap.
:evil:

even a accident will do the same. it only takes 1 accident in 3000 days to wipe half a squadron off the map.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Singha wrote:JCage, that is one sore point. except selected few bases like hindon and gwalior there seems to space / effort to construct HAS wherein 3-4 a/c each can be safely isolated from the rest.

It wont take more than single grenade to ignite a row due to the unspent fuel in the tanks. would be a major disaster and I am sure Abdul's out there are hard at work figuring how to do it and cut the gap.
:evil:

even a accident will do the same. it only takes 1 accident in 3000 days to wipe half a squadron off the map.
I think we are exaggerating things here. The airfield in question is Pune, and though it lacks Hard shelters, its not so easy for abdul to go within grenades throw from the aircraft line. I have seen the area constantly patrolled all the time.

We can see from the images that airfields like Srinagar, Uttarlail, Ambala, Chandigarh , even Baroda etc have their HAS and Blast Pens in place. Naturally airfields that are under the most threat have been made priority for the HAS and Blast Pens. Pune suffers the luxury of being too deep inside indian territory ... And when war does break out, we can expect the Su30s to move out of there and redeploy at a forward air base.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Jagan,

How much does it cost per blast shelter/t HAS- I cant believe cost would be a constraint- is it space?

The Su30's would probably sortie into Pak territory and return to Pune or even deeper into Indian territory in case of war, thanks to their range. Ditto for the AAR equipped Jags and M2Ks. But with the Pak getting more Ballistic Missiles or deep attack aircraft- ie F-16's, and with extended range PGMs it would be really helpful to get HAS's. Unless we want a repeat of Pathankot- very unlikely, but why skimp on HAS's?
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

To add, munitions like the SDB (small dia bomb) etc can take out aircraft in HAS's. But even so, against conventional attacks, from height, the HAS can prove useful.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

JCage wrote:Jagan,

How much does it cost per blast shelter/t HAS- I cant believe cost would be a constraint- is it space?

The Su30's would probably sortie into Pak territory and return to Pune or even deeper into Indian territory in case of war, thanks to their range. Ditto for the AAR equipped Jags and M2Ks. But with the Pak getting more Ballistic Missiles or deep attack aircraft- ie F-16's, and with extended range PGMs it would be really helpful to get HAS's. Unless we want a repeat of Pathankot- very unlikely, but why skimp on HAS's?
Somehow I think it is more a case of Pune not being 'under threat' than the question of space or money. (Space can be a factor, but surely it should have atleast a couple of ORP shelters on eith.er end? in such a case?). I still think its the distance and the lower risk of attack.

Coming to PAF threats, (in my chair commodore capacity)realisticly speaking I wont think that the PAF F-16s are a threat to PUne. They will have more important targets to worry about than Pune. And to attack Pune, they will have to traverse the fighters and the radars at Nalia, Bhuj , Jamnagar and possibly any fighters stationed at Sahar. Just not worth it when there are dozens of other targets that are more easier to attack and more up on the priority list.

The point to remember is that this is a peace time practice (of finding aircraft in a line). The moment war is delcared the aircraft would be dispersed around the airfield, even though there are no HAS, it would be impossible for a stray Balistic missile (With a conventional warhead) falling on the airfield and wiping out multiple aircraft at once.
kanda
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kanda »

Cochin looks beautiful and the A&N islands in very high resolution(one can see the shadow cast by coconut trees), but sadly port blair, car nicobar, coco islands and barren island are not covered.
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

some how Jagan it is difficult to buy your logic . It is true Pune is difficult to striek target by manned aircraft and the sukhis willscramble much before the f-16s come anywhere near Mumbai but what about a surprise missile strike if not very accurate can cause significant damage to aircrafts in open and that to su-30mkis . We should not model on isaeli strike in 67 a classic low altitude mission what if pakis launch a missile salvo at gwalior/pune simultaneously .A hard shelter or rather many shelters will be decisive advantage.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

In September 2004 the Brazilian aircraft carrier Minas Gerais (formerly HMS Vengeance) was broken up at Alang. It arrived in April 2004.

See this earlier image - 2 Brazilian carriers - Sao Paulo and Minas Gerais

The carrier above looks like the Sao Paulo, NOT the Minas Gerais.
The Sao Paulo was formerly the Foch - a ship of the Clemencau class.

Link to newspaper article about Minas Gerais

Photos as ship leaves port in Brazil for Alang, off Mauritius and at Alang itslef
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

* karachi-Pune is 1000km. F16s with external drop tanks can take a stab at pune. the internal fuel combat radius of F16 is around 1000km.

* Blast pens are imo useless against PGMs from medium or hi alt or against GLCMs dispersing bomblets. they onlee protect from sides not above

* we need better HAS designs that can accomodate more aircraft and survive direct hits from 1000lb PGMs arriving at nearly supersonic speed. the key is not one megalith of a concrete structure but intelligent spaced layers and material choices. borrowing technology from tank armour that defeat APDS and HEAT is a must.

we must press home our advantages and build NATO style airbases that are very difficult to take out except with a tactical nuclear device. merely mirroring the lowbrow specs of our enemies is leaving too much exposure.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Singha wrote:* karachi-Pune is 1000km. F16s with external drop tanks can take a stab at pune. the internal fuel combat radius of F16 is around 1000km.
There is no such thing called a surprise attack on Pune. if a PAF ac reaches Pune, there will be no surprise. pune is farthest from the border, paf airfield than ANY indian airbase.

By the time war breaks out, I am sure there will not be any sukhois operating from there. Atleast if I was a commander, I would have moved my Sukhois forward - to operate from Jamnagar, or Jodhpur, or Agra, or Hindon.. dett for maritime ops can be sent to airfields further south like Dabolim, Cochin, any place out of range.
* we need better HAS designs that can accomodate more aircraft and survive direct hits from 1000lb PGMs arriving at nearly supersonic speed. the key is not one megalith of a concrete structure but intelligent spaced layers and material choices. borrowing technology from tank armour that defeat APDS and HEAT is a must.
All that is fine, but has any other airforce has HAS built with this "intelligent spaced layers and material choices with borrowedtechnology from tank armour that defeat APDS and HEAT " ?
we must press home our advantages and build NATO style airbases that are very difficult to take out except with a tactical nuclear device. merely mirroring the lowbrow specs of our enemies is leaving too much exposure.
It would help if someone illustrates how the NATO style airbases are different from IAF airbases

but what about a surprise missile strike if not very accurate can cause significant damage to aircrafts in open and that to su-30mkis . We should not model on isaeli strike in 67 a classic low altitude mission what if pakis launch a missile salvo at gwalior/pune simultaneously .A hard shelter or rather many shelters will be decisive advantage.
For us to be caught by surprise, the attack has to happen .like.. tommmorrow!.. And are Pakistani missiles that accurate?

I am also sure if there is a build up to the conflict , there wont be any attack on pune that can be termed as a Surprise. wouldn't the missiles be caught by the radars?

Somehow I get the impression that the threats you want to be ready about is not pakistani or chinese but US style cruisemissiles and PGMs. Fat chance of that happening in the next ten years . (I am willing to take a bet on that :P )
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

> Atleast if I was a commander, I would have moved my Sukhois forward -
> to operate from Jamnagar, or Jodhpur, or Agra, or Hindon.

I think IAF is tending towards developing more bases in the interior and slowly sidelining the fwd bases some of which are 10 mins flying time from paf bases permitting any old joker to keep trying. better protected, bigger bases inside india, a/c with more combat radius and AAR is the way we want to go. with introduction of chinese GLCM into the mix (barber) surprise is going to be there, given the tardy nature of upgrading our ADGES to handle such threats. Barber has 600km range. its impossible to catch barber TELs roaming around 200km behind the frontline launching volleys 400km into india - even with total air superiority we simply dont have the surveillance and strike assets to control this problem at the source.

> NATO airbases

air conditioned igloo style HASes (see photos of such in AFM for thumrait in Qatar) capable of housing around 4 fighters each. Acres and acres of apron space and miles of subsidiary taxiways permitting big numbers of deploy into a theater of crisis.

Also, no sharing with civilian airports - Pune needs a new civilian airport time for GOI to pony up the $$ for it. same goes for Delhi ARC and many others.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Pune airfield is fairly well concealed from the ground and abdul would struggle to get into anywhere really dangerous - and the IAF police and field security are definitely on their toes.

however, the aircraft are certainly visible when you fly in. jingo hearts swell at seeing the numerous MKI's, MK1's and Jags, business like, busy, bustling airfield... reminded me of video's of Nellis during Red Flag :twisted:

space will soon become a major issue at Pune, the city is growing too fast and the civilian air needs are so huge - and so massively unmet!

some more protection for the birds there would be welcome, but i think jagan is right
Philbert
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Philbert »

INS Hansa at Dabolim has HAS for their aircraft
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

http://www.perini.com/pmsi/federal_defense_body.htm

Ovda Airbase
Negev Desert, Israel

Perini Corporation received a Patriotic Civilian Service Award for its performance in supporting the Army Corps of Engineers to construct this secure, tactical airbase for the Israeli Air Force, ahead of schedule. The design/build project required the assembly and support of a work force of 4,500 persons to construct an entire airbase in the remote Negev Desert. The project involved construction of hardened underground aircraft shelters, runways and taxiways, sewer and water systems, electrical and telephone systems, housing, and roads. The complex procurement organization involved over 110,000 different items coming from the U.S. and foreign markets by ship, air, and land.

Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

Jagan -pune is definitely within pakistani missile range and they are accurate enough to do considerable damage to parked jaguars and sukhois . The days of build up of weeks before a strike occurs may be is over . If i was Musharaf iwill not advertise my intension 3 weeks before so that the jags and flankers go off and hide in the dessert air bases . A visitor to civil airport can confirm by mobile realtime no of aircrafts parked and the soon the missile or two missiles with cluster warhead will be on its way . Lets not assume paki missiles are not accurate just because we dont like them even with a 1000mtr CEP two missiles or three missiles targetted at lohegaon can cause havoc particularly those in the open . F-16 s did travel more than 1000 kms to destroy osrik reactor in iraq which at that time was the defended airspace guarded by plethora of sams and shilka but that did not help them a bit .

Let us not avoid taking decisions like building hard underground shelters just because it can be some what justfiable not to do so. Asu-30 mki costs 35 million and takes about a month to build to protec it if we have to make an underground shelter costing few lacs -lets do it .

Look at the google earth photo see the six su-30 mkis and jags in open and total cost close to 300 million us and about a years production from hal bangalore and nasik is waiting for some luny paki general to make a point.Do we really need to tempt them so much?