Army strikes terror camps in PoK

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SSharma
BRFite

Re: Army strikes terror camps in PoK

Post by SSharma »

gotta give the guy credit for being calm under fire and answering with conviction.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

He called Reagan the greatest jihadi

rotfl
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

This thread title is so :LOL
"Indian Army Strikes Terror in Po(r)K Camps: (Demand for Pepto Bismol shoots up)" :rotfl:
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

Lisa wrote:
sudeepj wrote:
:rotfl: :rotfl: Mushahid Hussain is an idiot.. I still remember his bluster from the Kargil days, he hasnt learnt any manners from the hiding he got then. I welcome this idiocy by the Pakis, will put the seal on the break between them and the sole super power.
Sudeepji,

Please, please watch video from 1:17:30, its only 2 mins long but worth a million,

http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/events/p ... on-kashmir

Dispute in Focus: Pakistan’s Perspective on Kashmir

Thx Lisa ji, those 2 mins r pure gold.
Misra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Misra »

shiv wrote: Lets face it. An actual spectacular raid into Pakistan to take out terror camps within 5 km was needed as a morale booster for the entire country as much as a signal to Pakistan.
this phraseology is a consequence of indian "strategic restraint" exercised over so many decades. it was a raid into indian territory occupied by pakistan. adding the adjective "spectacular" seems strangely odd when the latter phraseology is used. it highlights not only the failures/compulsions of previous indian governments but also the willingness of generations of indians to give mind space to the pakistani point of view.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

AdityaG
Mil advances are built on logistics.
When we look at POK, please don't look at the vastness of the land. PoK is a series of very narrow valleys with rivers and roads there.
That is where pakistan mil is deployed. There are very few roads that the pakistanis have been able to build to supply and sustain mil ops there.
Pakistan's connection to POK can be severed at several chokepoints.

For example, north of URI, PoK is just the neelum valley, with ice capped uninhabited areas beyond. This goes on till almost Dras, where the road from up north, from Skardu reaches the LOC. All supplies from ONE road for the Pak Fauj manning the LOC. Even that one road is super duper pakistani standard! Won't say any more

I admit this will need an all out war, but it is so doable.
Many many moons ago, they talked about 'Salami slicing' POK. This is something that has been gamed for decades now.

To further add.
During Kargil, if PM Vajpayee had allowed the IA and the IAF to cross the LoC, those supply lines would have been choked by the IA and the IAF for sure.
For example in Batalik, the pakistanis could have been very easily starved. The IAF did take out Muntho Dahlo there and suddenly there was no rations, kerosene or weapons for those guys up there.
Vajpayee didn't allow cross LOC ops, our Army grit its teeth, lost so many valuable soldiers, but did the job in the most difficult way possible, climbing uphill at night, in the cold and under fire!
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Over in India, people need to look at the infrastructure India is building.
For example the new highway being built in the valley starts at the new 11 km Pir panjal tunnel and passes through the valley. This road is a 4-6 lane road that rivals any major highway in any western country!
Then this is getting connected to two tunnels, one twin tunnel is already constructing, the other is under the Zojila across the Zanskar range to Dras! Again good quality 4 lane.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

After our surgical strikes, we haven't had any new advancement in diplomatic arena or military despite pakis attempting to attack us 7 times after our surgical strike. Wonder what will be the next course of action. We should keep up the pressure.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Atmavik wrote:
Indeed it is. Looks like the whole program had only only subcontinentals, no goars were there? Just asking. Also, the moderator seemed like an Indian guy? Finally, you have to give to the Pakis for being able to lie through their teeth with a straight face.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

CRamS wrote:
Atmavik wrote:
Indeed it is. Looks like the whole program had only only subcontinentals, no goras were there? Just asking. Also, the moderator seemed like an Indian guy? Finally, you have to give to the Pakis for being able to lie through their teeth with a straight face.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

A small observation based on 400% ultra-sophisticated simulations: If there was a very hot cloud expanding on the runway at Skardu due to a shall-v-say unconventional bum, it would mainly spread north to China and west towards POK/Afghan border along the valleys. India is shielded by steep mountains.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

PoK is part of India sirjee, let's start to look at it that way.
malushahi
BRFite

Post by malushahi »

true in a world without the karakorams. with them where they are, the gandham will waft towards ladakh-zanskar only.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Gagan wrote:Over in India, people need to look at the infrastructure India is building.
For example the new highway being built in the valley starts at the new 11 km Pir panjal tunnel and passes through the valley. This road is a 4-6 lane road that rivals any major highway in any western country!
Then this is getting connected to two tunnels, one twin tunnel is already constructing, the other is under the Zojila across the Zanskar range to Dras! Again good quality 4 lane.
Good to know. I am encouraged. Maybe finally we're getting our act together.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Karthik S wrote:PoK is part of India sirjee, let's start to look at it that way.
Exactly. The stupidity of the previous stance was " All of Kashmir is ours but we'll let you keep 1/3 of it at the LOC which you don't recognize but we wish you would."

Modi and co are saying "All of Kashmir is ours and when we go into territory you have wrongfully seized, we are not invading anything rather securing and establishing law and order in territory that is ultimately ours."

This is a huge change from the Congressi posture of "What yours is yours but ours is negotiable."
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Gagan, do you have some link where I can read more about this new Highway? I tried googling, but only found links to the Jammu-Srinagar highway.
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

Gagan wrote:One wonders why our Idiot leaders of yore waited this long hain jee?
Kargil was a much more serious provocation than Uri or even the Mumbai attacks - but we didn't even cross the LoC.

To me the current situation is a classic case of the the boy that cried wolf too much - in this case, it's Pakistan cried "Nukes" so often that it became obvious to anyone watching that their Nukes are just a shield for terrorism. And after 9/11, everyone is tired of Terror. When any leader of a "normal" country sees an attack on India, they all tell themselves "there buut for the Grace of God go I".

It has taken 15 years longer than India wanted, but finally everyone seems to recognize Pakistan for the terrorists they are.

Added later: I don't think we could have pulled it off during Kargil. It was only after 9/11, that people really started to understand that they could also be victims of Pakistani terror. IMO, Mumbai was a missed opportunity though.
Last edited by khan on 07 Oct 2016 04:55, edited 1 time in total.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Not to miss the brightness of Shmel to do Well Done Instant Baki BarBeeQu

Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Who cares, let these politicians not make it about them. Keep the focus on Pakistan and the people who were affected.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

POK may be India's, but Skardu needs to be cleansed big-time. I know some ppl who have been practising that mission, flying between steep mountains in supersonic planes, for years. But I think a ground-based bum is the right solution. Preferably an accidental runaway reaction of a bum-e-Paki if they have any actually mounted under those F-solahs. I wonder how loyal those Balwaristani maintenance ppl are. Do you know how the altimeter on Gary Powers' U-2 was 'fixed" b4 takeoff from Peshawar?
Last edited by UlanBatori on 07 Oct 2016 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Nachiket
The older Jammu Srinagar highway crosses the Pir Panjal at the 8 Km Jawahar Tunnel
It is a one hour drive from the bottom of the pir panjal with traffic jams to get upto Jawahar tunnel.
The new 11 Km tunnel is much lower than Jawahar, near the base of Jawahar, close to the Railway tunnel.
From there and u can see this on sat images, is the new alignment of this road, much more streamlined, straighter, meets the old road in places, but is greenfield construction mostly.

Then there are twin tunnels, I think 4-6 kms long near Sonmarg. If you've served there you'll know, it snows like hell, landslides too! This will help all traffic to Amarnath, Kargil or Leh. The. The tunnel underneath Zojila, which is sanctioned and will begin construction soon
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Misra wrote:
shiv wrote: Lets face it. An actual spectacular raid into Pakistan to take out terror camps within 5 km was needed as a morale booster for the entire country as much as a signal to Pakistan.
this phraseology is a consequence of indian "strategic restraint" exercised over so many decades. it was a raid into indian territory occupied by pakistan. adding the adjective "spectacular" seems strangely odd when the latter phraseology is used. it highlights not only the failures/compulsions of previous indian governments but also the willingness of generations of indians to give mind space to the pakistani point of view.
:oops: And I should be among the last people to make this error! The irony. Even when I type I usually type more words if they are needed to get the meaning right - and in this case I clearly blurted out Pakistan instead of PoK. You are right - the connections in my mind (and in most people's minds I guess) need to be reset.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

UB ji
Welcome back! Pl post more often!
williams
BRFite

Post by williams »

Gagan wrote:Nachiket
The older Jammu Srinagar highway crosses the Pir Panjal at the 8 Km Jawahar Tunnel
It is a one hour drive from the bottom of the pir panjal with traffic jams to get upto Jawahar tunnel.
The new 11 Km tunnel is much lower than Jawahar, near the base of Jawahar, close to the Railway tunnel.
From there and u can see this on sat images, is the new alignment of this road, much more streamlined, straighter, meets the old road in places, but is greenfield construction mostly.

Then there are twin tunnels, I think 4-6 kms long near Sonmarg. If you've served there you'll know, it snows like hell, landslides too! This will help all traffic to Amarnath, Kargil or Leh. The. The tunnel underneath Zojila, which is sanctioned and will begin construction soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VloqVtRgWis

A bit older video about this highway.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Thanks, Gagan. The BRQuake "took out" my user cave, and I needed the break to get many things done. I maintain that the total destruction of Skardu (like Sodom/Gomorrha scale) is a necessary step towards removing PA from POK/ Balwaristan. The mistake long ago was that the western river valley approach was not guarded adequately. Even if an attacking force comes over the mountains the Pakis can withdraw west or north and box in the invaders.

POK is **NOT** going to be assimilated into India for a generation - too much hate hammered into the present generation there, and into the children now there. After Pakistan crumbles, it will take a couple of decades before the ppl of those areas see the wisdom of assimilating into India instead of being a place that is of use only to armies and mountain climber gangs. I will be happy when POK, Balwaristan and the rest of J&K/Ladakh all become safe and peaceful enough to visit and for development to take hold. For that the PA has to be totally eliminated from there, so that they cannot offer protection to the terrorists, and so that the pest-e-Sha'eed of the terrorists goes into full swing. Once PA is de-toothed I think the accumulated rage of the Balwaristanis will wipe out the terrorists who are mostly imported Pakjabis.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The BIG ?? in liberating POK/NA is of course the Tarrel and Deepel Fliends. Is it too E-Z for them to move down the Karakoram Hwy, or from Aksai Chin and occupy POK? Will India choose direct war with them to liberate POK? Or will they see that it is a great opportunity to ease border tensions and set up the trade road to Baluchistan with Indian collaboration? I can't read them, though everything I know says that they cannot be trusted. Will they want to rule an area where the people are nothing like Mongolian/Han type people? Tibetans are marginal in this respect, so I can't decide.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Saar
There is a big time shia sunni divide in J&K! The whole state, including POK, GB
The haramigiri is in the sunni valleywasis.
Why r there so many harried rats hain ji? Because these guys appease different sects there. As a whole, their gang is complete - or so they think. Inspite of all their efforts, the non valley kashmiris, irrespective of faith are staunchly pro India!
Just go north of the zanskar, where Gilgit Baltistan meets kargil & Leh, quite pissful.

These local netas got islamized in the 80s and inept CONgoons messed up the situation. Blame pappu's abba huzur for all of this. He was PM during this radicalization and did jack schidtt, only compounded it all.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Once PA comes under heavy attack, the stone-throwers in J&K will be without patrons. So it is entirely in India's interest to shift the Yellow Sea far westwards. For this, again, PA's force concentrations and supply depots in Skardu need to go. I haven't checked out Gilgit yet as a potential "test site".
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

Atmavik wrote:
Lisa wrote:
Sudeepji,

Please, please watch video from 1:17:30, its only 2 mins long but worth a million,

http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/events/p ... on-kashmir

Dispute in Focus: Pakistan’s Perspective on Kashmir

No closed captions. Please kindly provide a translation for hearing impaired.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

KJo wrote:...

Well PM Modi seems to disagree (as per reports). I think it brings us down to Paki levels when our higher-ups indulge in loose talk. It is better to wield a long stick but keep silent.
The PM may say so. He has his own reasons and his own views.

That the decision to allow the IA to attack rested with the Executive and the PM took it is still a credit to him.

Before the Surgical Strike and after Uri attack, I had written here and elsewhere criticizing that the PM is not delivering on his pre election promises. Videos of his bold statements were being circulated. His stance had emboldened Indians and raised expectations. BY letting the strike happen and going public with it, he has delivered a huge promise he had made to the people. At no point has anyone taken away any credit from India Army but what the IA cannot be credited with should be due to the authority which enabled it.

The PM in his humility and Statesmanship may not take credit but it does not stop me and others from giving credit where it is due.

And KJO sir, please cite one example of loose talk in this instance.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Modi is the first Indian leader with b@lls after Indira Gandhi. That aside, we need to keep politics out of the discussion.
naruto
BRFite

Post by naruto »

Prem wrote:
An interesting tidbit from above video. At around 28:17 Gen. Bakshi says NTRO satellites were reprogrammed and put into low earth orbits.
kedariprasad
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kedariprasad »

CRamS wrote:
CRamS wrote:
Indeed it is. Looks like the whole program had only only subcontinentals, no goras were there? Just asking. Also, the moderator seemed like an Indian guy? Finally, you have to give to the Pakis for being able to lie through their teeth with a straight face.
This conversation was moderated by the Director of the South Asia Center, Dr. Bharath Gopalaswamy
kedariprasad
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kedariprasad »

Hitesh wrote:
Atmavik wrote:

No closed captions. Please kindly provide a translation for hearing impaired.
please check if this helps. youtube automatic captions

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6373554?hl=en
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7FDktLN_f8
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the STFUP thread.
Various earlier posted stuff on BRF for background.

The Video with a hat tip to Narad :

CNN-NEWS18 SPEAKS TO SP OF MIRPUR IN POK

The story in text:

Surgical Strikes: Despite Days of Doctoring by Pakistan, Here's Proof From Across LoC

The Full Text of CNN TV 18’s conversation with Ghulam Akbar, Superintendent of Police (Special Branch) of the Mirpur Range in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir:

Surgical Strikes: Full Text of Conversation That Exposed Pakistan
Very interesting and significant that the CNN-TV18 story linked above where CNN TV18 has disclosed that their journalist Manoj Gupta had conned Ghulam Akbar, Superintendent of Police (Special Branch) of the Mirpur Range in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir into confirming India’s post-Uri croos Loc Boots on the Ground Surgical Strike by pretending to be Akbar’s (fictitious?) superior IG Mushtaq, has not been mentioned in any English language newspaper in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan despite the passage of some 48 hours even if only to debunk CNN TV18’s story. Thus no mention of this news in Dawn, The News, Jang’s Nation, Daily Times or Express Tribune.

The Uniformed Jihadi’s of the Punjabi Dominated Military of the Mohammadden Terrorist fomenting Islamic Republic certainly have the ability, even during times the Islamic Republic is ostensibly run by civilians, to throttle any story that shows the Uniformed Jihadi’s to have lied to her civilian citizens.
juvva
BRFite

Post by juvva »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 731128.cms
Voices within Pakistan criticise state support to terrorism

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... aign=cppst
juvva
BRFite

Post by juvva »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Nitin Ghokale and the previous DGMO, negating the congi stand about them also carrying out "surgical strikes"

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qk7XkP0D8ZQ

Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

shiv wrote:Problem is: Sharif ordering army to do something is like Kejriwal ordering Modi to do something. Equally funny and even less likely to get any results
Far from me to do an equal equal, but I would say that the "relationship" between TSPA and Ganja strongly reminds me of one between Sonia and ManMohan Singh in UPA govt.

So I reckon Sharif ordering army to do something is more like MMS ordering Sonia Gandhi to do something.