Be Indian Buy Indian

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
DavidD
BRFite

Re: Be Indian Buy Indian

Post by DavidD »

Manish_Sharma wrote:
DavidD wrote:Eh, I've seen these type of boycott stuff everywhere, from China's boycott Japan to Americans calling for boycott China. It really works when you have economic alternatives, because the international supply chain is too complicated for the average consumer and these boycott calls inevitably run out of steam....
See this the thing about Loktantra that a communist dictator govt. cannot understand.

It won't matter much to cheen but in case the politicians in Bharat see that a huge chunk of youngsters are writing against chinese products on SM and also boycotting products, they will see it as a vote winner issue.

Imagine another party takes up this issue before elections and starts burning ceremony of chinese products like Gandhi ji did for brishit products, they will become hero and Modi will have to act tough against chinese trade imbalance. Right now he is watching how much public opinion is against cheen on its own.
I've been living in the U.S. for 20 years, I know all too well how these politicians promise one thing during elections then turn around and do exactly the opposite once elected. Big money from big corporations is what wins elections, the people are just pawns. How long have the Americans been shouting about the trade imbalance with the China? The only change I've seen in these 20 years is the Chinese went from exporting T-shirts to DVD players to iPhones and now cars over here. Both the values and the margins keep going up, and the Tommy Hilfigers and the Apples of the world get wealthier than ever.

Don't worry about boycotting this or that, work hard, get stronger, get wealthier, then and only then will all your wish come true.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

^Its because americans have invested and created those factories in china, so they've vested interests. While Bharat has no such compulsions hence we can do it.... I mean force the politicians to do it.

If we break trade-relations with china it won't be our Industrialists who'll suffer, yes many importers will, many assemblers will suffer but it'd force them to invest and create the stuff here. In that way your advice "...work hard, get stronger, get wealthier...." will come true. Right now we are ok to be in assembler role as the force of situation isn't there.

When it comes the businesses will have no choice but to follow.
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

DavidD wrote:
Manish_Sharma wrote:
See this the thing about Loktantra that a communist dictator govt. cannot understand.

It won't matter much to cheen but in case the politicians in Bharat see that a huge chunk of youngsters are writing against chinese products on SM and also boycotting products, they will see it as a vote winner issue.

Imagine another party takes up this issue before elections and starts burning ceremony of chinese products like Gandhi ji did for brishit products, they will become hero and Modi will have to act tough against chinese trade imbalance. Right now he is watching how much public opinion is against cheen on its own.
I've been living in the U.S. for 20 years, I know all too well how these politicians promise one thing during elections then turn around and do exactly the opposite once elected. Big money from big corporations is what wins elections, the people are just pawns. How long have the Americans been shouting about the trade imbalance with the China? The only change I've seen in these 20 years is the Chinese went from exporting T-shirts to DVD players to iPhones and now cars over here. Both the values and the margins keep going up, and the Tommy Hilfigers and the Apples of the world get wealthier than ever.

Don't worry about boycotting this or that, work hard, get stronger, get wealthier, then and only then will all your wish come true.
So be it - you're free to stay cynical and continue selling out, but for my part I will keep doing everything in my power to buy Indian whenever possible and encouraging others to do so. Change doesn't happen overnight and it takes time to build public awareness. If more of us do this, it will only get easier to '"Be Indian and buy Indian" as time goes on and we build a viable manufacturing base.

Rome wasn't built in a day.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Also at the same increase the quota of trade with China and double the trade with China officially.

China officials should realise that the Indian people will know the actions of the Chinese govt and which effect Indian people safety and well being.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Manish_Sharma wrote:^Its because americans have invested and created those factories in china, so they've vested interests. While Bharat has no such compulsions hence we can do it.... I mean force the politicians to do it.

If we break trade-relations with china it won't be our Industrialists who'll suffer, yes many importers will, many assemblers will suffer but it'd force them to invest and create the stuff here. In that way your advice "...work hard, get stronger, get wealthier...." will come true. Right now we are ok to be in assembler role as the force of situation isn't there.

When it comes the businesses will have no choice but to follow.
The best part of the bycott of chini mal is that it is being driven by indian public. The govt has nothing to do officially with it. It seems that finally indian non state actor is coming of age.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

:)
Badhaai sabhi Bharatiyon ko !
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Y. Kanan wrote:So be it - you're free to stay cynical and continue selling out, .
:rotfl: david is chinese.
amol
BRFite -Trainee

Post by amol »

SHQ went shopping last weekend for lighting fixtures. To her amazement, every single shopkeeper she met made sure to highlight the fact that they were carrying only Indian made products. Not sure if it's just a marketing gimmick. Still, the consciousness is growing among the common man.

In other news, the family reports that in the busy 'Itwari' market of Nagpur, many traders have voluntarily decided to boycott Chinese maal this Diwali season.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

^^^^
Happy to be part of the this buy and be Indian group. have been doing for years esp with TSP. everywhere refuse to buy TSP products which fortunately is few realted to food items and clothing only since 2008 nov Mumbai attacks.
It is stuff with Chinese products as they stare at you everywhere and not always have Indian equivalent one.

But all the same needs encouragement to the Indian manufacturers to come with Chinese replacements.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Sales of Chinese wares down by 40% according to reports.A great beginning.The momentum must be sustained after the festive season too.It must reach 100% in the future! I'm going to tell my vendors not to stock or supply any PRC goods and that if they do they will not get orders.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Philip wrote:Sales of Chinese wares down by 40% according to reports.A great beginning.The momentum must be sustained after the festive season too.It must reach 100% in the future! I'm going to tell my vendors not to stock or supply any PRC goods and that if they do they will not get orders.
Great start. But Diwali festive ware are mostly black market (not showing up much in import/export books.)

To really make a nice dent on the official exim numbers, we need to re-source the ingredients in our pharma industry (90% from China) and electronics parts (90% here as well.) Not easy but we need start somewhere.

Personally, it would make the most sense to buy Samsung cellphones instead of any Chinese or even major Indian brands like Micromax who just screwjiri chini parts.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

I am a company CEO and passionate about Made in India. Early in my career, I ran a successful export business, where we exported consumer products to 45 countries and beat our Chinese competition on most parameters, so I believe India can do it, despite the odds.

One way we can get around the under-invoicing of Chinese imports (which is rampant) is to declare a floor price for import. Duty will either be charged at this price or actual - whichever is higher. This floor price can be the average of imports of various countries. It is fair, allowed under WTO and will hurt only those who under-invoice, or dump (China). I know that Russia imposes these floor prices.

There are Chinese products where selling below cost will actually benefit India, so we have to take a nuanced position. For e.g. panels for solar power (which can drastically reduce our power cost) or components for electronics where there can be significant value addition in India.
srinebula
BRFite

Post by srinebula »

Seems like the boycott call is being noticed in China:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... 5n8vL.html :D
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Good we don't want any investiment from China. If the PRC wants to end investment in India I say they can start with the Chindu :P
shyamal
BRFite

Post by shyamal »

Cheers :)
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 096140.cms

Its working :) That's very encouraging.
shyamal
BRFite

Post by shyamal »

Just a brainstorming - Most products(other than those of big brands where we can google and know the manufacturing location) on e-tailing sites like snapdeal or flipkart do not mention the country of origin.
What will be the effect if there is a legislation (or strong public demand) to disclose that information?
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Before boycotting, it is important to see if there is enough supply from Indian vendors. We don't want to go to the bad days of 80s where everything was scarce and gouging starts. Indian vendors are no mahatmas, they are looking for an opportunity.
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

Gus wrote:
Y. Kanan wrote:So be it - you're free to stay cynical and continue selling out, .
:rotfl: david is chinese.
Hah! Oops. :oops:
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

amol wrote:Not sure if it's just a marketing gimmick. Still, the consciousness is growing among the common man.

In other news, the family reports that in the busy 'Itwari' market of Nagpur, many traders have voluntarily decided to boycott Chinese maal this Diwali season.
amol, many are aware of boycotting the Chinese products. But, India is so huge with so many unscrupulous buyers and sellers that there will always be room for cheap & glitzy Chinese products.

The Sivakasi fireworks manufacturers have been leading this campaign for about five years now as they have been badly hit. This year they are saying that their campaign has at last paid off, which means a significant turnaround.

So, overall, I am delighted by the level of awareness to boycott the Chinese products. This citizens' campaign must be sustained and each one of us must use every opportunity to reinforce & propagate this idea.
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

srinebula wrote:Seems like the boycott call is being noticed in China:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... 5n8vL.html :D
on a side note from this page. when did Pres 11 join BJP?

Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

KJo wrote:Before boycotting, it is important to see if there is enough supply from Indian vendors. We don't want to go to the bad days of 80s where everything was scarce and gouging starts. Indian vendors are no mahatmas, they are looking for an opportunity.
If the demand exist. the supply will take care of it self.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

China has the audacity to warn India!

Just see how Indian cos. in genral,and this exceptional one,rewards employees unlike greedy Western bankers and MNCs who cream off zillions in fat bonuses mainly for themselves and their close cronies.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... re-krishna
Indian boss gives 1,260 cars, 400 flats and jewellery as Diwali bonus to staff
Savjibhai Dholakia, who runs diamond export firm Hare Krishna Exports, rewarded employees ahead of the Hindu festival of Diwali
A woman shops for a gold necklace at a jewellery showroom. ahead of the Diwali festival. One Indian tycoon has give employees gifts of jewellery and cars to celebrate the annual festival.

Agence France-Presse
Friday 28 October 2016
A diamond tycoon in India has once again given away hundreds of cars and flats to his employees as a bonus for meeting company targets.

Savjibhai Dholakia, who runs a diamond export firm in the booming west coast city of Surat, announced his company would give 1,260 cars, 400 flats and pieces of jewellery to his employees ahead of the Hindu festival of Diwali which falls on the weekend.

“Our aim is that each employee must have his own home and car in the next five years. So we have decided to gift cars, homes and jewellery to employees,” Dholakia, owner of the Hare Krishna Exports, told Agence France-Presse.

He said the rewards were in recognition of the outstanding performance and dedication shown by employees in the last five years.

The company would spend an estimated 500m rupees ($7m) under the loyalty programme to reward an unknown number of staff from a total workforce of 5,500.

Most employees receive presents of some kind from their bosses during Diwali, the festival of lights, but they are usually boxes of Indian sweets.

But Dholakia has been making headlines by giving expensive gifts to his employees since 2012, when three employees received cars for their performance.

The generous boss gave 491 cars and 207 flats to his employees under a similar programme in 2014.

The company will exclude previous year’s beneficiaries from the new scheme.

His firm is one of the leading polishing companies in India’s diamond hub Surat and exports diamonds to some 75 countries.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

amol wrote:SHQ went shopping last weekend for lighting fixtures. To her amazement, every single shopkeeper she met made sure to highlight the fact that they were carrying only Indian made products. Not sure if it's just a marketing gimmick. Still, the consciousness is growing among the common man.

In totally opposite case, I cant seem to find anything Indian as far as decorative lighting goes. The shop-keepers tell me all the stuff is Chinese categorically, and Indian stuff will come only next year. Everything only also looks Chinese.

I think I am gonna have to celebrate Diwali the old fashion way - only Dias..So be it. But wont buy Chinese stuff.

But people are asking whether the stuff is Chinese or not, they buy it since there is almost no option. But at least the thing that its Chinese is getting highlighted.

We need to keep the compeign up for 2-3yrs. This short bursts will not do. Else people will go back to there merry ways and next years as well no desi alternatives will be available.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Interestingly, was visiting one of the hyper marts in Noida. In the past most of the stuff was made in China. However, in my resent visit, I saw made in Vietnam, and made in India stuff decent quantities.

Not just stuff made in PRC.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

In the fire crackers market in Chennai, the prices have shot up big time as there was no competition from Chinese ones. One of the biggies said that they source some from China and since they are banned, they ended up selling last year stock. The other theory I heard is that the supply was less as the boycott was not expected to be very successful.

Not sure what is the truth. The real question is how many of the Indian brands (especially mobiles) are really Indian. I am in the market for mobiles on the side of 10K and the options are mostly Chinese or Indian brands completely made in China including the packing.
DheerajG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by DheerajG »

I want to buy Indian but it seems none of the e-comm websites mention 'Made in ...' or 'Manufactured at...' info in their product description section. In offline at least I can look at the box or even ask from the retailer about the same but it is not possible/very difficult in e-comm websites. I'm not sure how much it will help in import substitution but at least people like me will buy 'Made in India' products if they are available. I'm pointing out e-comm websites in particular because people's buying behavior is changing rapidly. Can GoI issue necessary instructions to e-comm websites in this regards?
srinebula
BRFite

Post by srinebula »

DheerajG wrote: Can GoI issue necessary instructions to e-comm websites in this regards?
This is the second time this was asked in this forum. I think it will be a useful filter if E-comm sites can be forced to implement it. I thought they might even do it voluntarily if there is enough demand, but may be not; most of their wares are from Cheenee land; so, it might be detrimental to their business.

Madam Sitaraman handles Commerceme ministry. She is usually responsive in social media. Anyone here with good presence on twitter who can request her to consider this?
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

reliance jio is selling all chinese assembled mobiles !! so much for ambanis 'MAKE IN INDIA'
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Let companies sell anything. If the common citizen makes up his mind, that's good enough. If there's no market for products, nobody will sell it. Just that the awareness needs to be increased so that more and more people buy Indian products.
dineshchaturvedi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dineshchaturvedi »

This is my first post in this forum. I am super happy that someone approved my request after around 6 months of application. I like this forum and see it no nonsense forum.
I tried finding if there is an introduction thread a could not locate. So please excuse me if I am posting in wrong thread.

Simple introduction I am a civilian living in US has lot of passion for military and follow news very closely. I ready about Indian military daily.

About the thread.
I think we should continue to find ways to buy more Indian. It's not just helpping put pressure on Chinese but also helping our brothers. Yes, there are lot of things which are having no local substitute and it's OK to buy them for our needs. I see major discussion around this topic over social media.
ritesh
BRFite

Post by ritesh »

Deans wrote:I am a company CEO and passionate about Made in India. Early in my career, I ran a successful export business, where we exported consumer products to 45 countries and beat our Chinese competition on most parameters, so I believe India can do it, despite the odds.

One way we can get around the under-invoicing of Chinese imports (which is rampant) is to declare a floor price for import. Duty will either be charged at this price or actual - whichever is higher. This floor price can be the average of imports of various countries. It is fair, allowed under WTO and will hurt only those who under-invoice, or dump (China). I know that Russia imposes these floor prices.

There are Chinese products where selling below cost will actually benefit India, so we have to take a nuanced position. For e.g. panels for solar power (which can drastically reduce our power cost) or components for electronics where there can be significant value addition in India.
Very constructive suggest, may i add that we should concentrate on mid to high value products and promote their production and exports.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Hopefully this will result in less visits by Indian vendors to Shenzen for containers of consumer goods. Though consumer products out of Shenzhen is not the only concern. There are many containers full of furnitures, granites, paints, etc. for new construction and remodeling that are bought off and sent to Indian shores on the daily basis. And not to mention critical infrastructures like base stations being bought off by Indian telecom companies. Hopefully awakened public is able to tackle consumer goods dumping successfully while also grabbing gov't's attention to other big ticket items.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

dineshchaturvedi wrote:This is my first post in this forum. I am super happy that someone approved my request after around 6 months of application. I like this forum and see it no nonsense forum.
I tried finding if there is an introduction thread a could not locate. So please excuse me if I am posting in wrong thread.

Simple introduction I am a civilian living in US has lot of passion for military and follow news very closely. I ready about Indian military daily.

About the thread.
I think we should continue to find ways to buy more Indian. It's not just helpping put pressure on Chinese but also helping our brothers. Yes, there are lot of things which are having no local substitute and it's OK to buy them for our needs. I see major discussion around this topic over social media.
sorry if it took so long.

in any case welcome to BRF.
dineshchaturvedi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dineshchaturvedi »

Thanks, I like this forum a lot.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Deans wrote:I am a company CEO and passionate about Made in India. Early in my career, I ran a successful export business, where we exported consumer products to 45 countries and beat our Chinese competition on most parameters, so I believe India can do it, despite the odds.

One question - As far as I can tell a lot of Chinese cheap good import is actually gray import. I mean on paper the container contains something but actually something else is inside. Of coarse bribes make everyone look the other way. How will this help in that situation?? Most of the cheap Chinese stuff doesn't have any tags, names whatsoever. Many times only hint to it being Chinese is some foreign language text printed on the packaging for some reason.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Hi Jay,
`Greys' or mis-declaration of import is not much of a problem as the chances are very high the importer will get caught. Also, import duty rates don't vary that much depending on what you are importing. Under-invoicing is far more difficult to prove and the profit margin for the importer is higher.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Ck the "made in ..." printout. Anyway,paraphrasing the famous Chinese saying,"A ban on a million items begins with the first one".
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Deans wrote:Hi Jay,
`Greys' or mis-declaration of import is not much of a problem as the chances are very high the importer will get caught. Also, import duty rates don't vary that much depending on what you are importing. Under-invoicing is far more difficult to prove and the profit margin for the importer is higher.
+1.

Also China always uses some top business houses to bribe important bureaucrats and politicians to keep its exports (to India) running smoothly. No points for guessing who they are using in India.
Marten
BRF Oldie
Location: Engaging Communists, Uber-Socialists, Maoists, and other pro-poverty groups in fruitful dialog.

Post by Marten »

Been patiently waiting for someone to invite ACM Raha and Shri Parrikar to this thread.