Understanding the United States of America (USA) - III

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the United States of America (USA) - III

Post by brar_w »

Austin wrote:That would be stupid to think Trump would be pro-Russian or Hillary anti-Russian , This is all election rhetoric depending on which works.

In the end both Trump and Hillary would work for US interest.

The only thing I see is with Trump , US economy will have a better candidate to deal with coming crash and recession and Peace in Sryia, IRaq , Libya , Ukraine would have better chance to suceed
You got this right. Obama came close to the center but he had a broad coalition and could manage the political fallout. Trump has promised protectionism for a country that has been about free-trade. He has pandered to the rust belt using largely a blanket anti-obama rhetoric. These aren't the type of voters that will sit lightly if he doesn't repeal or re-look the trade deals, if he doesn't build the wall, if he doesn't give them free healthcare, repeal the defense sequester and take defense spending to Bush levels, doesn't build the infrastructure up etc etc.

He took the most expensive elements from a progressive platform (such as massive infra investment and healthcare) and combined it with the most expensive elements of the conservative platform ( such as repealing the budget control act and increasing defense spending by 10-20%) and if that wasn't enough rolled it with the most extreme agenda of the fiscal-conservatives like the freedom caucus who are willing to cut spending across the board irrespective of economic or social consequences - Classic populist message ! But now he must deliver. With a Republican senate, and a republican house that is now more cuckoo than before, he is going to have to deliver. He has 2 years to do so!

Manish, this thread is full of folks calling previous president's stupid despite of them winning massive majorities against fairly substantial odds so I still think there is a case to be made that Trump is an idiot. Reagan, Clinton, GW Bush or even Obama have all behaved like idiots or taken idiotic decisions and I don't think many folks will argue that Trump hasn't behaved like an absolute jackass over the last year and a half. One of my friends at a party tonight called him a honest-liar compared to dishonest-liars that are full of the GOP and democratic parties.

In the long term unless he turns it around the democrats will again pay attention to their blue collar roots and turn to the left of where they are at the moment. This isn't really good for the US for now there will be no GOP candidate for another 8 years. Going simply by senate majority, the democrats need to pull something like what Trump has done to win the control of the senate in 2018..the odds are stacked against them. I fear this will take them way to the left as they cling on to an even more populist agenda while holding trump accountable for some of the ridiculous things he has promised.

The house will continue to get more and more extreme in terms of its conservative agenda as congressional races become more and more expensive. More gridlock is in store. This could have all changed had Clinton been booted out 4 years from now by a more acceptable candidate but the democrats are likely to field something like a Warren, 4 years from now to win back the Obama states and this will all be a mess again 4 years from now.

Time to buy some real estate in New Jersey or New York if you can afford it :).
Last edited by brar_w on 09 Nov 2016 12:21, edited 9 times in total.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Viv S wrote:
On the other hand, in the immediate aftermath of the FBI email release two weeks ago, I wents out and gots me some gold. :mrgreen:
In that case congrats, that's a good move !
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

In the end everyone contributed.
Indian contributions:

Dinesh D souza with Hillary's America - even though this guy seems to be a coconut
Repub Hindu Coialition - Ab ki baar, Trump Sarkar !

Badka Butt, by being pure panauti - her karma - everything she touches, crashes and burns. Hillary had to shake hands with her
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

amazing that the nyt projected result is complete opposite of nate silver 538 - 305 to the winner in both cases though
zoverian
BRFite

Post by zoverian »

Clinton -215

Trump-264 ( 6 needs to win)

I think its clear now

https://www.google.co.in/#q=election+2016
alexis
BRFite

Post by alexis »

Markets across the world are tanking... Nobody expected this. interesting times.
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

Ha! Trump won, apparently. I have to say I wasn't expecting it.

At least now we don't have to worry about facing 4-8 years of the most pro-Paki US administration since Reagan. HC would have been very bad for us.
Last edited by Y. Kanan on 09 Nov 2016 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Latino community is not united bloc

Cubans hate mexicans and PRs

Some old-school mexicans down south behave more redneck than rednecks themselves.

many mexicans jumped ship from mexico and many guatemalans left guatemala because they didn't like what they saw in their countries. So when they saw Mexicans and guatemalan gangs take to streets, they ran towards Trump.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

AP reports Trump wins Pennsylvania, pretty much ending Hillary's chances.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

Abi ki baar Trump sarkaar :mrgreen:

BRF voted resoundingly for a Trump victory !!

I think the only poll that could beat the Hillary vs trump poll on brf would be Rahul baba vs Modiji..
Last edited by nirav on 09 Nov 2016 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

How seats for PA?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

I wonder what Nate Silver and the so-called data scientists are doing now? The hardest thing to predict is human behavior.

In the last year or so, I traveled to some states on the east, west and north. What I gathered was that DT had 3-4% quiet supporters. It made the difference today.

Indeed. Ab ki baar Trump Sarkaar!! Hindus for Trump.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Mexicans & blacks who want to vote for DT are never going to announce to the media or to tele pollsters or anyone in their house that they are voting for DT. They will just quietly do it.

admitting to voting for DT is sure fire method to attract violence even in your house.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

"CALL IT!" chant at Trump HQ, directed at Fox News.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

habal wrote:Latino community is not united bloc

Cubans hate mexicans and PRs

Some old-school mexicans down south behave more redneck than rednecks themselves.

many mexicans jumped ship from mexico and many guatemalans left guatemala because they didn't like what they saw in their countries. So when they saw Mexicans and guatemalan gangs take to streets, they ran towards Trump.
Outside of Florida where they have always voted differently, Cuban Hispanics being GOP (less so than say 10 years ago) while others being democratic leaning, they are much more united than a lot of the other demographics. This is reflected in many state and congressional elections. They are a reliable source for democrats in California and even Texas and now North Carolina, and Colorado as well. The problem has been fluctuating turnout which prevents them from being a reliable part of a winning coalition like the union workers were back a couple of decades ago, or what the African american turnout allowed Obama to do.Florida Hispanics have always polled 10-12% higher for the GOP than national hispanics. Romney got 27% nationally and 35-39% or so in Florida iirc. We won't know what Trump polled with the Hispanics until the west coast data arrives, but as of 6 PM EST most channels were flashing Romney numbers on the EST states.
Last edited by brar_w on 09 Nov 2016 12:28, edited 3 times in total.
Sicanta
BRFite

Post by Sicanta »

From twitter - Bill Clinton reassuring Hillary tonight by reminding her that Nelson Mandela wasn't elected president until after serving 27 years in prison

:D

All my liberal friends are in pooping mode. Crying and wishing last 2 years is just one long hellish dream sequence that will end soon. And they are not satisfied with that. They want us to join them by predicting grim course of events in every sphere of ones life.
Last edited by Sicanta on 09 Nov 2016 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
AjayKK
BRFite

Post by AjayKK »

Gagan wrote:In the end everyone contributed.
Indian contributions:

Dinesh D souza with Hillary's America - even though this guy seems to be a coconut
Repub Hindu Coialition - Ab ki baar, Trump Sarkar !

Badka Butt, by being pure panauti - her karma - everything she touches, crashes and burns. Hillary had to shake hands with her
Ah gaganullah, what about the millions of paki dollars, khushpoos and ayeshas contributed by Fauji foundation to Kiltonweiner foundation?
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Trump won PA. 2.9 in WI and 1.4 in MI is the leads. So it is over I think.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Yagnasri wrote:Trump won PA. 2.9 in WI and 1.4 in MI is the leads. So it is over I think.
Yup, Clinton should concede so that we can go to sleep :)
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Let the criticism of US policies begin again. Trump will be just as bad as his predecessors. But thankfully there is no hillbilly to deal with. The world says thank you.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

I just posted on FB.

Indian "intellectuals" gearing up to do an award wapasi post the Trump win.. :mrgreen:
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Manish_Sharma wrote:
Viv S wrote:On the other hand, in the immediate aftermath of the FBI email release two weeks ago, I wents out and gots me some gold. :mrgreen:
In that case congrats, that's a good move !
Yeah but with the 500s/1000s out and the bank exchanges opening only on the 10th and giving out new notes only in a trickle thereon, I'm currently almost bankrupt. Barely got any 100s. My driver's a lot richer than me at the moment.
Last edited by Viv S on 09 Nov 2016 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

panduranghari wrote:Let the criticism of US policies begin again. Trump will be just as bad as his predecessors. But thankfully there is no hillbilly to deal with. The world says thank you.
Hillbilly would have lasted exactly 4 years. Trump can last 8 years with democratic help as they pivot to the extreme left and start to again field candidates like Dean et al that can't get elected. Let's see how the Pence agenda works out in foreign policy or domestic policy in case living in the US.
Last edited by brar_w on 09 Nov 2016 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

sooraj wrote:Image
:rotfl: It is like the man is a bit glum he actually won and now has to work, but the people around him find mirth at the whole situation
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Over, Arizona hAS 11, 264 + 11 > 270
Rammpal
BRFite

Post by Rammpal »

hnair wrote:
:rotfl: It is like the man is a bit glum he actually won and now has to work, but the people around him find mirth at the whole situation

Is he like, ".. damn, I was just playing, man !!" :D
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

^ More like what else could I've done to loose :)
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

Trump wins - Democrats and Republicans loose. What policies will he implement? All those replublicans waiting for supreme court 'conservative' judge, lower taxes, break of trade deals, obamacare etc. - will they get that? Interesting times ahead.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

"But I was going to start Trump TV and it was going to be beautiful! Damn you all to hell!"
He think he just now realized that the last 12 months will now be the next 4 years for him. And its going to be a Trump show (no Hillary around to share screen time with).

I must admit there was a tiny part of me that was curious about what lay down the rabbit hole. But like Alice, we'll all now have the opportunity to find out.
Last edited by Viv S on 09 Nov 2016 12:38, edited 2 times in total.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Poor DT. No fun from now onwards unless he wants to have judo games with Putin.

Arizona he has 5% lead so it is over really.
LokeshC
BRFite

Post by LokeshC »

Lol democrats now not conceding lmfao.

I have officially seen everything.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

Finally S@@t Desai knows his aukat, it is better to stick to only Indian elections and not venture outside chaddi, burkha still not accept that fact of life:
https://twitter.com/sardesairajdeep/sta ... 5575433216
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

hnair wrote: :rotfl: It is like the man is a bit glum he actually won and now has to work, but the people around him find mirth at the whole situation
Exactly like "....faque, what have gotten into??? "
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Yayavar wrote:Trump wins - Democrats and Republicans loose. What policies will he implement? All those replublicans waiting for supreme court 'conservative' judge, lower taxes, break of trade deals, obamacare etc. - will they get that? Interesting times ahead.
Here are some of the conflicting priorities/promises that he has to now manage politically -

- Lower the debt to the levels the fiscal conservatives in the house want
- Replace Obama care with a cheaper plan, that does not reduce coverage while at the same time retaining the no-preexisting condition rule (I assume he keeps the Medicaid expansion)
- Massive infrastructure investment at or exceeding the levels HRC promised
- Repeal the defense sequester and bring defense spending to GW Bush levels

During the campaign his answer to any such question on conflicting priorities was " we'll get to China's growth" or something similar. Now he has to deliver or else pay the political price.

There's probably more but I lost track of all the other conflicting populist promises. No one expects him to fulfill all or even majority of them but he has to manage this politically with an electorate that voted out of sheer aggression and anger.
Last edited by brar_w on 09 Nov 2016 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
LokeshC
BRFite

Post by LokeshC »

Anyone other than HRC would have won. Even a frigging poodle would have won had it run instead of HRC

But they had to f***k it up and the elitists snobs deserve what's coming
Last edited by LokeshC on 09 Nov 2016 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

krishna_krishna wrote:Finally S@@t Desai knows his aukat, it is better to stick to only Indian elections and not venture outside chaddi, burkha still not accept that fact of life:
https://twitter.com/sardesairajdeep/sta ... 5575433216
This shameless jerk said same thing in 2014, also after NaMo's victory... than was back to programming in 3 months again, predicting BJP defeat in Haryana, Maharashtra etc.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Killary is not conceding. As expected...now stay tuned for multiple law suits across many states.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

LokeshC wrote:Anyone other than HRC would have won. Even a frigging poodle would have won had it run instead of HRC....
No one would have won, people were really pissed with hussein obama's muslim panderings... they wanted this whole team to be flushed down the gutter.