Understanding the United States of America (USA) - IV

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the United States of America (USA) - IV

Post by chetak »

at least, they seem to have got this one right. :)

TKiran
BRFite

Re:

Post by TKiran »

svinayak wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakuntala_Devi

Shakuntala Devi a ma thematic genius and astrologer in 1980s had met Donald Trump and predicted that Trump would be President in the future.
Vinayak ji, the wiki doesn't give information. I know she is capable of predicting Trump's victory, but do you have any reference?
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

http://www.defencenews.in/article.aspx?id=39253#
US President elect will approve a Congress bill to declare Pakistan a terror state when the legislation reaches him in what could be a shot in arm for Bharat's antiterror narrative, said Shalabh Kumar, a key ....
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

SHQ's best friend in Pleasanton contemplating move to Canada. Says things will be really bad in school for her kid. We met them when r2i ing 3 yrs back. Husband was moaning on how huge trees on MG Road were being cut down and the drive to Oregon was so serene. Guess the trees around Crystal Springs Reservoir don't look so green now.

As for Canada, another story for another day we will cover in the future !!!
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Paul wrote:SHQ's best friend in Pleasanton contemplating move to Canada. Says things will be really bad in school for her kid. We met them when r2i ing 3 yrs back. Husband was moaning on how huge trees on MG Road were being cut down and the drive to Oregon was so serene. Guess the trees around Crystal Springs Reservoir don't look so green now.

As for Canada, another story for another day we will cover in the future !!!
there seem to be many contemplating this very move.

Knee jerk reaction.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

vijayk wrote:Image

Trumps vs MEDIA this will be 24x7 for next 4 years... Nothing but a war...

LIES, HALF TRUTHS... Bitter Libtards will be going further down.

Unfortunately result will be even TRUTH will be ignored by Public.

Why doesn't Libtards remember CRYING WOLF story?

They have to stop calling themselves Progressives. It is an insult to people who are really progressive in htinking
please look more widely, the non-truth pushing of memes has been championed by the right, not the left. it has been trump's not so secret weapon. the number of false news sites spreading the message has proliferated. there are now false news and drama-bazi outlets on all sides - and in every case the MSM is scapegoated. urge brf'ites to sort the wheat from the chaff wade through the chaos and then analyse

watch what google and facebook's response shapes up as

a new paradigm is upon us
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Jim Says Trump Economic Team is similar to Regan but the result will be entirely different , Watch the Video

Rickards: Financial Crisis Coming Soon, Will Be Different

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/20 ... -different
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Lalmohan wrote: it has been trump's not so secret weapon. the number of false news sites spreading the message has proliferated. there are now false news and drama-bazi outlets on all sides - and in every case the MSM is scapegoated. urge brf'ites to sort the wheat from the chaff wade through the chaos and then analyse

watch what google and facebook's response shapes up as

a new paradigm is upon us
True that...Trump's secret weapon was the MSM - a majority of right thinking Americans were disgusted by the sheer idiocy and transparent hostility of an openly partisan MSM that seemed to lack any semblance of journalistic ethics whatsoever.

Which major media outlets were balanced in your opinion ?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

canada is a very small population and economy centred on farming , manufacturing and resources, with not so many white collar jobs for the liberal dissidents and self proclaimed refugees to tap into. canada will take care of canadians first. and they are also being over run systematically by paks and mid east immigration. yes a lot of the tech jobs there have been grabbed by Paks.

what is the future composition of canadian society is uncertain to me.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Several fox shows have top viewership numbers. Is fox MSM or not?
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Gus wrote:Several fox shows have top viewership numbers. Is fox MSM or not?
Fox is different from Fox News in terms of messaging, viewership and values. Fox will ruthlessly chase whatever makes them money, even if they are left leaning hollywood shows, whereas Fox News has it's ideological moorings, motivated agenda and fanatical viewership from a very specific audience.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Gus wrote:Several fox shows have top viewership numbers. Is fox MSM or not?
Yes, obviously. The only one partisan for Trump while the other two cable news networks, practically all leading print media names and internet media names (think Huff Post which is the largest independent internet media site) were blatantly rooting for Clinton. Would have been ok if they had done this in a reasoned, thoughtful and intelligent manner - but that was most definitely not the case.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Arjun wrote:- but that was most definitely not the case.
in your opinion, but not one shared by at least half of americans - and definitely not one shared widely outside the US
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

guys, please layoff each other! The election is long over and it is time to seriously look at what is coming up.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Lalmohan wrote:
Arjun wrote:- but that was most definitely not the case.
in your opinion, but not one shared by at least half of americans - and definitely not one shared widely outside the US
Take a look at this link..this is a bunch of headlines for today alone : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/donald-trump/

- Trump Is Finding It Hard To Field A Foreign Policy Team Without A Foreign Policy
- Trump's First Planned Meeting With A Foreign Leader Is A Complete Mess
- China To Donald Trump: Climate Change Is Not A Chinese Hoax
- It's Not Too Late! The Electoral College Can Still Make Clinton President
-The Return of the Plague: An Open Letter to Our Students
- Megyn Kelly Details Disturbing Trump Threats In Interview

If you think this is what a balanced news site looks like, don't know what to say. It does confirm the hypothesis I have of 'left-liberal IQ though...

OK, last post on this - just noticed HNair's warning
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ively-soon

Now that the elections are over Interest rate hike are in the offering
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Gus and Lalmohan, in one post how ever detailed or short post your angst about Trump being elected by Americans and be done.
Others have moved on.
Thanks,

ramana
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Aussies pulled a fast one on Trump by being the first one in line to call him. They got his personal phone number through an Aussie Golfing buddie of trump.

Otherwise Modi would have been the first foreign leader to speak to him!!!! take that Xi Jinping.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

ramana wrote:Gus and Lalmohan, in one post how ever detailed or short post your angst about Trump being elected by Americans and be done.
Others have moved on.
Thanks,

ramana
I think you misunderstand my stance slightly

I have accepted the trump victory as I have accepted brexit - it is the will of the people; we have to accept it and move on. I don't like his personal characteristics (not fit for the leader of a great power) and I am concerned about his policies, but in a democratic system there are checks and balances so in the end unless things go very very wrong, the American system will stabilise itself. I don't live there, so I don't care so much about his domestic policies - I do fear for friends and family if things go the way some of his supporters want. his international policies give me various areas of concern, and presidents usually have most leeway in foreign policies.

I am however interested in the media manipulation, the rise of the far right and the role played by the Russian state in bringing about change in democratic systems. this is a far bigger issue for me and plays into other things going on in the world, in which I have a bigger interest than the orange one grabbing billis in the oval office (after all its a presidential prerogative for many decades!)

and I am genuinely baffled at how desis are identifying so vehemently with the far right, I remain fascinated by how I see people being sucked into thinking patterns in the post-truth world - not just here but on other social media as well.

that's all.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

thinking patterns in the post-truth world
Hmmm!!! I seem to recognize that CNN whinology from that video of the wonderful FOX-CNN mohtermas' catfight?
FYI, I lost confidence in the World once it became the Post-KendoStik-Sistahs Dunia. No one to enforce The Truth etc. since then.

OTOH, I am surprised to see this:
role played by the Russian state in bringing about change in democratic systems
Do you really buy the HiC rhetoric about Its All Evil Putin's Fault? The roles are reversed, from Ronald Reagan's Evil Empire to BOHiC's Putin Under Mah Bed.

My grasp of these things is by comparing RT.com to CNN to visible reality to common sense. Like why the ISIS continued to ship oil, slave women, children and such other of their "commodities" unhindered like in the old days of the Moor/Mughal/Ottoman empires while the entire USAF and NATO flew around with absolute air superiority and incredible Space Assets, completely unable to see, much less attack and stop, a single ISIS convoy until the RuAF entered the picture. Also the CNN blackout of the KSA's US-weaponized, US-trained, NATO-protected Yemen genocide where the Houthis were in fact routing the Saudis. How does HiC, a self-declared Protector and Roll Model of Women, show her face in public after conspiring to hide those horrors for years?

Where exactly is the Russian manipulation? Revealing evidence of criminal corruption and genocide-planning at the highest levels of the US/NATO establishment is manipulation? Why? What do you think the US would do with similar evidence obtained about the Russians?
Last edited by UlanBatori on 17 Nov 2016 22:20, edited 2 times in total.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Lalmohan wrote:
and I am genuinely baffled at how desis are identifying so vehemently with the far right, I remain fascinated by how I see people being sucked into thinking patterns in the post-truth world - not just here but on other social media as well.

that's all.
Good question. Need to understand what happened to Indian Americans after the Nuclear Deal. After 2009 when Obama became the President the Indian lobby has been missing with no leadership. All the lobbying with the govt is with the Clinton foundation and Indians are missing. Few Indian Americans in the administration but no lobby for Indian govt at all.
Indians have no option other than work with GOP.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

As for the Far Right, no, I don't identify with those worms at all. I just listened carefully to all 3 POTUS Debates, checked the facts and logic, and decided that Hillary Clinton is a total liar and criminal. Not because of what Trump said but because of watching Hillary Clinton and listening to her. At that point, each of her attacks on Trump became another reason to vote for Trump if I had a vote. Whether the Far Right voted for him, or whether they voted at all, is a different question. Why do I have to "identify with" this or that group if I were an American voter and were deciding whether to vote for a 100 percent lying poisonous snake with the blood of 3 million innocents on her hands, or a snake-oil salesman with no pretenses of being anything else? You don't think Indian-Americans can , or should be allowed to, make up their own minds?

FYI, there is strong reason to believe that IAs are one segment who may very well have provide the crucial swing vote. When the margin between total victory and total defeat is 0.6% of the vote, IOW 0.3% of registered voters, hey, your vote IS the one that makes the difference.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

yak herder - there is plenty being written about the Russian angle
do look up non-linear warfare

rest of it is spy vs spy - elephants fight in jungle, poor billi's get grabbed er I mean squashed...
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Also Indians have no choice to choose the color of the cat. As long as it works they have to work with the billi
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

While Brexit is certainly the will of the British people i.e. the majority of British people, the same can not be said about Trump's victory. Trump's victory is more like the will of the electoral college than the will of the people.

Hillary's popular vote count is up to 1.4 million now and by the time all votes are counted, it may be over 2+ million.

2016 National Popular Vote Tracker
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

dipanker - he won by the rules of the game, so we have to accept that too
LokeshC
BRFite

Post by LokeshC »

Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Lalmohan wrote:dipanker - he won by the rules of the game, so we have to accept that too
I am not denying that at all.

But if the "will of the people" means majority of the people, then it will be wrong to say that Trump reflects the the "will of the people" particularly in more or less 2 party system like USA.
bharotshontan
BRFite

Post by bharotshontan »

The elections are popular-vote contests only at the state level (and for a few states like Maine, at the district level). Counting the national aggregate popular tally is of no consequence besides just a "oh by the way". You also don't know if/how much people that would vote GOP don't bother to show up if they live in New York or Cali, or vice-versa in say Tennessee or Alabama because they know it won't make an electoral difference. So quoting these numbers afterwards is an exercise in futility imho.
LokeshC
BRFite

Post by LokeshC »

Dipankerji,

That means that people do not agree with the constitution that set up these rules. If they do agree with it, then Trump won by the will of the people by following the agreed upon process laid down by the constitution.
LokeshC
BRFite

Post by LokeshC »

Constitution or the laws, not sure which one describes them. My knowledge has been rusty on that front.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

what it does tell you is that in the major western powers, public opinion is sharply divided in roughly 50/50 proportions - which means that there is no strong national consensus on the direction of travel; sometimes team a leads, sometimes team b leads

I have rarely seen so much heated division between the sides, either brexit or the us elections

lets watch the French elections next...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

LokeshC wrote:Constitution or the laws, not sure which one describes them. My knowledge has been rusty on that front.
Constitution. Twelfth Amendment enacted in 1804.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

FYI ... Just want to make few things clear.

I want to reiterate I was neither for Trump or for Hillary. Did not care of wither strong ideology. I voted Johanson so that Libertarians get 5% and we have another minor party which can be accommodated in primary system which will drive a lot of right mixed people into contesting that election. I don't identify with Alt Right or Alt Left. Many people want reasonable taxes and lesser Govt. and to stay away from extreme ideas on Left or Right.

My point is media should not lose credibility by being mouthpiece of one party or ideology.

Never watched FOX news for past 10-15 years. NEVER
Slowly saw MSNBC going down the same way on LEFT and then CNN,NYT,WaPo,BBC,Economist, Guardian.

They have an agenda and label everyone who doesn't fit the narrative as Fascists, Nazis, Hitlers. Keep recirculating LIES however many times they are proved wrong. Just see NYT article by Pankaj Mishra. It is like COW essay. Filthy fellow converts any thing into RSS= Fascist == Nazis == Modi == BJP.

They are always aligned with Rich LEFT who want to regime changes, collect billions in corruption, will love to align with mafia or Islamists. The story is everywhere same.

The problem with their approach is very easy to lose credibility. Now CNN==MSNBC == NYT == BBC == FOX.

Once you lose credibility, you only have your hard core ideologues and I shunned MSNBC, CNN along with FOX. R
Rachel Maddow == Bill O'Reilly

I want people with integrity and less ideology. Same with many people.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I on the other hand listen to all of them and weigh each op[inion vs facts.
But gets too tedious for the family.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

All US 50 states have 2 senators elected from each state by popular vote. (roughly equal to Rajya sabha)
All US 50 states elect House of Representative depended upon the population of the congressional district., each state has different numbers., PA has 20 while CA has 53 or so., Alabama has 7. (roughly equal to Lok Sabha)

Both Senate and House makes up the Congress -- independent part of Government
People directly vote for president in each state. Then whoever gets the state is (Trump or Hillary) is voted by electors. This is from the time when USA was widespread and had to send people on horses over to D.C informing NH goes to John Adams while Virginia goes to Thomas Jefferson, PA 8 to Jefferson and 7 to Adams.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... tion,_1800

So each state send N number of electors after completion of elections to D.C. where president was declared.

"There are currently a total of 538 electors, corresponding to the 435 Representatives, the 100 Senators, plus three electors for the District of Columbia as provided for in the Twenty-third Amendment. Each state chooses electors amounting to the combined total of its U.S. senators and representatives.[4] The Constitution bars any federal official, elected or appointed, from being an elector."

So President who gets elected for 4 years is another --Independent Part of Government

Then "The U.S. Constitution states that the President "shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Judges of the Supreme Court." US supreme court is one Supreme Judge and 8 associate Judges. They are all confirmed by US senate. -- Independent part of Government.

So! the Government has three independent parts of the government as oppose to the British system which has two (Parliament and Supreme Court). President or "King" has 0 powers!
Last edited by SBajwa on 18 Nov 2016 00:37, edited 2 times in total.
ssundar
BRFite

Post by ssundar »

vijayk wrote: I want people with integrity and less ideology. Same with many people.
Ain't gonna find them, saar! So much so that I have stopped watching TV News. If something important goes down in the US of A, I can learn about it on Google, Facebook or Twitter trends. Keeps my BP under control that way.

I watched FOX News for the first time in 10 years on November 9th and 10th after the results were known. Ah, such soothing, calm and positive coverage 8). The same days on CNN were murder, mayhem and anarchy. I think if I feel like watching TV News, I may watch Fox News until the day Trump starts some war.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Paul wrote:Called Dinesh D'souza a useful idiot on twitter and got a flood of protest response from outraged whites saying he is as American as any one of them...

Little does anyone know what is coming down the line..LOL!

American Indians, enjoy it while you can. We are going back to the 1930s.
Literally and proverbially saar.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Totally agree. Just like on this forum, we have such extreme supporters on both sides, even people turned out that way.

Elections are a way to bring emotionalism out of people to come to polls and vote.

First Republicans did that way. Wars/Crime. Called every one on Dems side as weak on crime and national security. They softened as it stopped paying dividends.

Now Dems do that way.
Gays/Abortion/Gun Ban/Immigration/Drugs/Healtcare for all/Minimum wages/Women wages ....
Use them to label opponents as racists/fascists/bigots/nazis/Hitler/sexists
Look now... No more talk on Gender wages since election.

Very easy to fall into the trap. Every one falls for the propaganda.

Look at Huffingtonpost or Briebart. yikes!
Have you every feeling like National Enquirer? If Progressives descend to their level, how can we trust news?