Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion - June'14

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Bheeshma
BRFite

Re: Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion - June'14

Post by Bheeshma »

Is Agni-I production still going on? Prithvi was stopped sometime in 2009. I hope they continue with an Army/SFC variant of Shaurya to replace it. Shaurya is a lot more mobile and lighter.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Karthik S wrote:https://sputniknews.com/military/201611 ... c-missile/
“What is to be decided is do we want two sets of cruise missiles – one with a range of 600 and another 1,000 kms? Is there an operational requirement of the two categories of missiles for the armed forces and is there enough money to develop both?” asked Bhonsle. However, the Governments wants to provide full backing to a completely indigenous project as it will give the defense planners greater autonomy in production and deployment.
Is this the same Bhonsle who we see giving negative opinion on Arjun and positive about T-90's. Seems to be in the Russian camp. :D
Rishi Verma
BRFite

Post by Rishi Verma »

Bheeshma wrote:Is Agni-I production still going on? Prithvi was stopped sometime in 2009. I hope they continue with an Army/SFC variant of Shaurya to replace it. Shaurya is a lot more mobile and lighter.
Prithvi-1 test means Sagarika Ghosh was launched from underwater.
Bheeshma
BRFite

Post by Bheeshma »

Hmmm still waiting for K-4 launch videos. Its high time A-5 was tested again by SFC.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

No news what so ever on Shaurya for a long long time. Is there something and I missed it?
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

India’s First BVR Missile Astra on Verge of Commercial Production

Indian Air Force is expected to receive country’s first indigenous beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) Astra by the end of this year. Indian defense scientists had set this revised timeline due to delay in getting critical components. The scheduled date of completion of the project was September 2012.

“The project was delayed because of technological challenges and delay in availability of critical components but now it is expected to be completed in December 2016,” Dr. Subhash Bhamre, India’s Minister of State for Defense informed the Parliament. Indian Air Force Sukhoi 30 MKI jets had fired the Astra during the Ìron Fist’ fire-power demonstration in the deserts of Rajasthan this March.

India is planning to integrate `the Astra missiles on its next generation Tejas light combat aircraft. The Astra will allow IAF jets hit aerial targets up to 60 km away. Indian scientists at DRDO are also developing a more powerful BVRAAM Astra Mk 2 with a range of 100 km.

Source : https://sputniknews.com/asia/2016112510 ... l-missile/
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

IS Astra still using imported seeker or we have developed the new seeker?

Ref:
http://www.news18.com/blogs/india/saura ... 48446.html
The seeker for the Astra is an Agat from Russia and will be built in India under full transfer of technology.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

rohitvats wrote:^^^The above press release clearly talks about Prithvi-2 being held by the SFC - I have mentioned this earlier as well that contrary to popular literature, Prithvi missiles are not held by our artillery divisions.
The holding formation is still an Army division level unit. The targetting and launch is done by Army personnel on deputation from SFC.

The same model will apply for the Navy as well. INS Sukanya class OPV the platform will be under say WNC but Dhanush will be under SFC personnel.

Above statements are speculation from my side.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

Karan is an expert on status of indigenous seeker. Though my understanding is that:-

Astra initially used Agat seekers
There is a JV for production of some components of Agat seekers to assemble Agat seekers
There is an R&D project to completely indigenise seekers by developing tech for components whose tech was not transferred by Russia
There might be R&D project in public sector and pvt sector domain to develop new, different, indigenous designs.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Some kind of seeker is being developed by Astra Microwave

Link

Muzzle Velocity Radar, we have already completed the development portion of it and we have delivered systems to DRDO and based on that we are likely to get few more orders from DRDO, in fact, much bigger version of those things. Coming to the other radars like Uttam and all, it is in the trial stage in the DRDO right now and we are likely to get some of the trial orders maybe in a couple of months’ timeframe from now. But the subsystems of those radars we are already doing it, I think you are aware of it. So in all probability, I think before this
financial year, we will have some products orders in hand. The other one you are talking about SEEKAR, development is going on, I think we have reached almost I would say 55-60% of development. So I think in next 8-9-months timeframe we should be able to come out with the prototypes of this product..
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Aditya G wrote:
rohitvats wrote:^^^The above press release clearly talks about Prithvi-2 being held by the SFC - I have mentioned this earlier as well that contrary to popular literature, Prithvi missiles are not held by our artillery divisions.
The holding formation is still an Army division level unit. The targetting and launch is done by Army personnel on deputation from SFC. The same model will apply for the Navy as well. INS Sukanya class OPV the platform will be under say WNC but Dhanush will be under SFC personnel. Above statements are speculation from my side.
If you're speculating, it would make sense to give forth some reason(s) for the speculation.

Now, coming to your speculation - it is pretty bad one. First, the comment about Artillery Divisions NOT holding the Prithvi Missile Regiments was from the perspective of their usage. Artillery Divisions are organic to Strike Corps. And this tells you that they don't have nuclear role.

Second, Prithvi Missile Regiments are held in Missile Groups. Which broadly correspond to a brigade. Third, this entire Missile Group is under SFC. As are Missile Regiments and Groups which hold Agni series of missiles. They're outside of IA's normal chain of command. And I'm pretty sure the same applies to Navy. It is SFC which controls every aspect of these formations.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Media reports of spl teams (including babus!) being sent out to various countries to meet the shortfall in spares,ammo,etc.,given the current situ with Pak. THis is a knee-jerk reaction whioch could've started a year ago when the precarious situ was well known.Babudom has to be forced to change its attitude towards the armed forces and their needs as of yesterday,if we are to successfully face the challenges on our borders.The armed froces cannot fight with red tape,on;ly Babus can! Therefore why not send the bl**dy lot to Siachen,etc. for extended "fact-finding " missions?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/803121091476492288
The Pinaka MK-III will be a fully guided round with a 120 KM range.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

So it is a guided missile now ? Nothing for Prahaar ?
Bheeshma
BRFite

Post by Bheeshma »

Prahaar will probably be beefed up to get a longer range with larger warhead. It would be useful to have 4-6 round Prahaar with 300 Km range and 300 kg warhead, now that Brahmos is found to be 500-600 km :lol: . Pinaka still only has 100-125 kg war head and is area weapon not a proper guided missile.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

I think Prahaar and Pinaka-III will differ in the accuracy level. Prahaar sits between Pinaka-III/Smerch and Barhmos in terms of range + accuracy.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

But where is the Prahaar....no news is not good news..........and speculation is not news.....

Rohit you are one of the few I would trust to find something...........
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Bheeshma wrote:Prahaar will probably be beefed up to get a longer range with larger warhead. It would be useful to have 4-6 round Prahaar with 300 Km range and 300 kg warhead, now that Brahmos is found to be 500-600 km :lol: . Pinaka still only has 100-125 kg war head and is area weapon not a proper guided missile.
8)
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618 10h10 hours ago Kolkata, India

The Brahmos Block IV will be the next word in trajectory shaping. The aim is to be able to dive to targets at an angle of 90 degrees.

NPO-Mash director confirm work under way on range increase and its intelligence capability
http://militarynews.ru/story.asp?rid=2&nid=433728
Recently, the Supreme Commander set a task to increase the range of "BrahMos". Is it feasible? -

This line of work is. It will be carried out. Work to increase the missile range, which Vladimir Vladimirovich said, is related to the more economical use of fuel reserve, which we have in the existing missile. This is what we will do in the near future. But I can say that this work, we should not be limited or restricted. I say this as a person who knows the direction of the development of science in this field. Missiles "BrahMos" and other rockets of the same class have yet to be improved and "mentally", that is, intellectual capacities. But this issue is not a public discussion
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

Another NOTAM out
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DTG 301001 ROUTINE
FROM NAVAREA VIII CO-ORDINATOR UNCLAS
TO NAVAREA VIII – 736
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDIA EAST COAST – OFF BALASORE (.) CHARTS 31 351 352 INT 71 (.) EXPERIMENTAL
FLIGHT TRIAL SCHEDULED FROM ITR ON 05 AND 06 DEC 16 FROM 0330-0730 UTC IN
DANGER ZONE BOUNDED BY 21-22.04N 086-56.37E, 21-09.75N 086-50.59E, 19-37.38N 087-31.93E,
20-02.60N 088-35.28E, 21-37.29N 087-52.26E (.)
2. CANCEL THIS MSG 060830 UTC DEC 16
Very similar coordinates and time duration to the previous tests which was declared as salvo firing of Prithvi-2.. Lets see what it is this time..
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

ks_sachin wrote:But where is the Prahaar....no news is not good news..........and speculation is not news.....

Rohit you are one of the few I would trust to find something...........
Prahaar and Brahmos are two separate class of missiles as already mentioned above but Army however has preferred to procure more Brahmos. Another reason is, While DRDO has been quick to conduct induct initial trials of prototype they have been rather slow at getting it past that stage ( Nirbhay, AAD).

Can't blame them for not having to fund another weapons system that could take another 10 years to reach production when the gap can be filled by other weapons system.

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/wit ... sile-range
The Indian Army has always preferred a cruise missile over a ballistic missile as the cruise missiles can fly at lower height — evading radars — and hit targets accurately," an Indian Army official noted.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Austin wrote:Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618 10h10 hours ago Kolkata, India

The Brahmos Block IV will be the next word in trajectory shaping. The aim is to be able to dive to targets at an angle of 90 degrees.
This is for the Carrier killer role that was being talked about I suppose.

Sjha also tweeted about Nirbhay test next week. Tree-top level flight to be validated. :mrgreen:
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

I don't use Twitter. Now that Nag has again proved itself in challenging environments, can anyone tweet SJha about its future wrt IA (if he can find out)? News about Nirbhay is certainly encouraging. Hoping for a successful flight!
kurup
BRFite

Post by kurup »

sudhan wrote:Another NOTAM out
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DTG 301001 ROUTINE
FROM NAVAREA VIII CO-ORDINATOR UNCLAS
TO NAVAREA VIII – 736
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDIA EAST COAST – OFF BALASORE (.) CHARTS 31 351 352 INT 71 (.) EXPERIMENTAL
FLIGHT TRIAL SCHEDULED FROM ITR ON 05 AND 06 DEC 16 FROM 0330-0730 UTC IN
DANGER ZONE BOUNDED BY 21-22.04N 086-56.37E, 21-09.75N 086-50.59E, 19-37.38N 087-31.93E,
Very similar coordinates and time duration to the previous tests which was declared as salvo firing of Prithvi-2.. Lets see what it is this time..
New NAVAREA Warnings

INDIA EAST COAST – OFF BALASORE (.) CHARTS 31 351 352 INT 71 (.)

EXPERIMENTAL FLIGHT TRIAL SCHEDULED FROM ITR ON 05 AND 06 DEC 16 FROM 0330-0730 UTC IN

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDIA EAST COAST – OFF BALASORE (.) CHARTS 31 352 INT 71 (.)

EXPERIMENTAL FLIGHT TRIAL SCHEDULED DAILY FROM 07-10 DEC 16 BETWEEN 0430 – 0630 AND 0900 – 1100 UTC IN DANGER ZONE BOUNDED BY 21-12.59N 086-46.15E, 20-05.32N 087-20.85E, 21-02.54N 088-22.30E, 21-35.59N 087-10.70E (.)

2. CANCEL THIS MSG 101200 UTC DEC 16

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

What does the range look like?

I cant see the pictures.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Zynda wrote:I don't use Twitter. Now that Nag has again proved itself in challenging environments, can anyone tweet SJha about its future wrt IA (if he can find out)? News about Nirbhay is certainly encouraging. Hoping for a successful flight!
Saurav Jha
Dec 1
Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618
@DRDO_India says NAG ATGM's new seeker has successfully demonstrated enhanced capability, paving the way for the missile's induction.
He already did.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/newslet ... nov_16.pdf
BANG ON: NAG HITS BULL’S EYE IN FINAL DEVELOPMENTAL TRIALS
NAG, the third generation, lockon-before-launch
(LOBL),
fire-and-forget, anti-tank guided missile, indigenously
developed by the Defence Research & Development Laboratory, Hyderabad
under IGMDP, scored a “bull’s eye” successfully hitting targets upto 4 km
away in the final developmental trials held last month.

During the flight tests, held during 28-30 September, the Thermal Target
System (TTS) was used as target for the missile. TTS simulated a target similar to an operational T-72 tank. For the
flight test, a T-72 tank was moved for one hour and positioned at a
range of 3.2 km. Thermal mapping from tank to TTS was carried out for
generating thermal signature. The TTS was used as target which
was remotely controlled by RF system. The first missile was fired in the “worst
time window” on 28 September. The missile hit the target precisely near turret
location. A bull’s eye hit was scored as confirmed by officials of the Indian Army
present at the spot.

The second flight test was carried out with an objective of proving 4 km
range capability of Infrared Imaging (IIR) Seeker. TTS was once again used as
target and thermal mapping from a T-72 tank to TTS was carried out. The missile

hit the target bang on – this time on the
engine location of the target.
Indigenous Thermal Target System
(TTS) technology for 'NAG' developed
by Defence Lab, Jodhpur, facilitates
simulation of realistic tank target. TTS
emanates IR Signature which is used as
target during NAG Missile firing. TTS is
well accomplished with remote control
(RF Data Link) and closed loop control.
The developmental trials were
conducted with an objective of proving
higher range capability of High
Resolution IIR Seeker.
'NAG' has 'Top attack' and 'Front
Attack' capabilities. It is capable of
defeating the heaviest type of armour
including 'reactive' and 'composite'
armour of the futuristic main battle
tanks.
IIR Seeker of the Missile provides
day & night operational capabilities
against low silhouette tanks, both static
and fast moving. The Single Shot Kill
Probability (SSKP) of the missile is about
NAG, which has been developed
to support both mechanised infantry
and airborne forces of the Indian Army,
is designed to destroy modern main
battle tanks and other heavily armoured
targets. It can be launched from both
land and air-based platforms.

Critical technologies indigenously
developed for NAG Missile System
include a high resolution IIR Seeker
developed by RCI, Hyderabad. The
performance of the Seeker is well
established in guided flight tests of NAG.
The trial validated the enhanced 4-km
range capability of IIR seeker, which
guides the missile to the target after its
launch.
Operational target scenario presents
mixed contrast of the target with respect
to surrounding sand, shrubs and
background clutter. IIR Seeker is capable
of handling complex scenarios.
Efficient real-time image processing
algorithms and high end Onboard
Integrated Electronics (INEL), which are
part of IIR Seeker, have been developed
by RCI, Hyderabad.
Technologies for 'Tandem Warhead',
'Control System' and 'Solid Propulsion
System' for NAG have been successfully
developed by ARDE, Pune, RCI and ASL,
Hyderabad.
NAG Missile Carrier (NAMICA) is
BMP2 based Infantry Combat Vehicle
(ICV) suitably configured for firing ‘NAG’
Missile. NAMICA is an advanced system
developed by DRDO.
Independent Stabilized Sighting
Systems for the Gunner and the
Commander, Fire Control System,
Launcher Platform, Drive System and
Missile Operating Stations are the main
subsystems of NAMICA.
The Commander’s Panoramic Sight
(CPS) is used by the Crew Commander
for target surveillance and exploitation
of Hunter-Killer capability. The Gunner
Sight is used for target acquisition and
missile firing. Six ready-to-fire ‘NAG’
Missiles can be mounted on the Launcher
Platform. Amphibious trials & mobility
trials have been successfully conducted
by the Indian Army.
'NAG' Weapon System is ready
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

^^ wait.... no summer trails in dessert for full range of 4km
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

John wrote:
Kanson wrote:We already have access to one set of weapons that have common lineage,ie Barak-8, Python, Derby etc. Now we have access to different lineage of Seekers and their tech. Mica and Aster seekers have same genealogy.
Unless we plan to grab every seeker technology it doesn't make much sense. We discussed SR SAM a couple years ago and i said it will end up being repackaged VL MICA under guise of Made in India, which is exactly what it has become. VL Mica itself is over a decade old with MBDA actively promoting Sea Ceptor not former for export and new repackaged variant is not going to have much export prospect as well. Even worse MICA is an expensive missile don't be surprised if SR SAM missile rounds cost more than Barak-8 .

This deal simply likely it was carved up to promote political interests, if not we would have either gone with co-development of new system based on Sea Ceptor or would have designed a new system based on Astra.
Apologies for belated reply; my attention was elsewhere.

Let us first straighten the facts (based on info what I have).

1. On Seeker tech, we are some years away in achieving self-sufficiency.
As per previous DRDO head, Chander, we will reach that in missile overall by 2021/22. Satheesh Reddy, SA to RM Parrikar, earlier this year(2016) touched the topic and used the phrase "in a few years" on seeker tech. We are in the process of closing the gap. Apart from our in-house development, we are also absorbing tech through various deals to achieve above mentioned goal as early as possible.
Yes we are TAKING HELP not only in seeker but also missile tech in general from more than from one player, Russia, Israel, France etc. To put in perspective, We received some tech transfer through SPYDER system deal with Israel, which is a Short-Medium Range SAM system. Recently, as reported in news, we also received track via seeker tech for Long Range SAM again from Israel, amplifying the fact that though we broadly hear as "transfer of seeker tech" in every deal, we are getting various tech & different components of seeker as tech transfer through every deal.
Secondly, through VL MICA-M (M for Maritime) deal we are also getting other missile techs such as TVC, algorithms etc.

Hope this has some answers to your "Unless we plan to grab every seeker technology it doesn't make much sense" statement.

2. "This deal simply likely it was carved up to promote political interests, if not we would have either gone with co-development of new system based on Sea Ceptor or would have designed a new system based on Astra"

Before we go down this road, let aprise ourselves bit into the history of Sea Ceptor and ASRAAM. Becoz, Sea Ceptor is based on ASRAAM (Advanced SHORT RANGE Air to Air missile).
ASRAAM missile started of as AIM-132, common US-European missile. Before it became ASRAAM, Germany left the team to develop its own SHORT RANGE IRIS-T missile, stating it wanted more maneuverable missile than ASRAAM. Sameway, US went on to develop AIM-9X on SIMILAR PARAMETERS as that of IRIS-T. At the same time France was into MICA.
so ASRAAM became purely a UK missile, designed and developed based on their own strength, weakness, their projected threats and Operational Doctrine.
While AIM-9X, IRIS-T and MICA are highly maneuverable missile, OTOH ASRAAM has its strength in high speed and long range so it can "See First, Shoot First and Scoot First" in a Dog fight.

Both MICA and ASRAAM were inducted in 90's within a gap of few years. One can see that both MICA and ASRAAM are contemporary missiles; implying, there could be + and - but overall, technology wise it can't be said as one superior to other.

Post ASRAAM, UK started FLAADS program which stands for Future Local Area Air Defense System to replace ageing Sea Wolf and Rapier system for which MBDA was roped in.
FLAADS is rooted in low cost, commonality and ability to tackle present and future threats.
Becoz there was an emphasis on commonality, ASRAAM, an Air to Air missile was chosen as base for Sea Ceptor to replace Sea Wolf and Land Ceptor to replace Rapier.

In simple, MBDA's concept applied on ASRAAM = Sea Ceptor

At the same timeframe, MBDA started developing VL MICA-M by applying the same concept on which it was building Sea Ceptor. For example, Both Sea Ceptor and VL MICA-M don't need separate tracking radar.

If we look, both Sea Ceptor and VL MICA-M share the same concept.

UK through its own research and studies added, as part of FLAADS program, three new sub-systems to Sea Ceptor.

1.new low cost seeker, with open architecture and upgrades done mainly through firmware etc.
2.Common two way datalink, for their own purpose.
3.soft ejection system, similar to Brahmos missile.

So in effect,
MBDA concept + UK funded hardware on UK missile ASRAAM = Sea Ceptor
MBDA concept on MICA = VL MICA-M

It is clear why DRDO went for VL MICA-M and not Sea Ceptor. Through co-development, can't DRDO add a soft launch system as in Sea Ceptor? can't DRDO increase range to match Sea Ceptor? These are within DRDO's capabilities. So DRDO and Indian Navy went for an option that is actually what they need or where it can do what UK did to ASRAAM. IOW, we absorb VL MICA-M tech and develop into what is needed for us in future.

Further, ASRAAM/Sea Ceptor range is > 25km, whereas IN SRSAM spec asks for 15 km range, so VL MICA-M.

Now to the second question, why not Astra missile?

When IN SRSAM requirement was floated, Astra was still in development. DRDO which started working on similar short range requirement, QRSAM, much later has not offered any alternative of its own to IN SRSAM requirement.

"carved up to promote political interests" - Yes, all deals have that vulnerability. We don't know yet. Let's see if it is getting sanctioned.

3. "it will end up being repackaged VL MICA under guise of Made in India, which is exactly what it has become"

Well may be it could be just "repackaged VL MICA under guise of Made in India", but this is not where we are going to stop. Though we contracted IMI/Israel for long range SAM such as Barak-8, we are also developing our own 300 km long range SAM, as you know. So VL MICA-M tech that is getting transferred is not going to stay and vanish as VL MICA-M, in my opinion.

4. "VL Mica itself is over a decade old with MBDA actively promoting Sea Ceptor not former for export and new repackaged variant is not going to have much export prospect as well"

Correction: MBDA is promoting both Sea Ceptor and VL MICA-M.
Sea Ceptor is built for Type 26 and to replace Sea Wolf. Intial & potential customers of Sea Ceptor are the ones in need of Sea Wolf replacement and those who opted for Type 26 frigate just like UK did.
OTOH VL MICA-M is selected (and actively considered) by other navies who don't have that compulsion.
Last edited by Kanson on 06 Dec 2016 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

jamwal wrote:http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/newslet ... nov_16.pdf
BANG ON: NAG HITS BULL’S EYE IN FINAL DEVELOPMENTAL TRIALS
Just replace "DRDO" with Lockheed Martin in this brochure and we will be falling on each other to buy this magical weapon.

But there are two gems in this reports -

1> Thermal Target System (TTS), assuming this tech can be exploited from decoys to active camouflage.
Indigenous Thermal Target System (TTS) technology for 'NAG' developed by Defence Lab, Jodhpur, facilitates simulation of realistic tank target.
2> High Resolution IIR Seeker
Critical technologies indigenously developed for NAG Missile System include a high resolution IIR Seeker developed by RCI, Hyderabad. The trial validated the enhanced 4-km range capability of IIR seeker, which guides the missile to the target after its launch.

Efficient real-time image processing algorithms and high end Onboard Integrated Electronics (INEL), which are part of IIR Seeker, have been developed by RCI, Hyderabad.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thakur_B wrote:
Zynda wrote:I don't use Twitter. Now that Nag has again proved itself in challenging environments, can anyone tweet SJha about its future wrt IA (if he can find out)? News about Nirbhay is certainly encouraging. Hoping for a successful flight!
Saurav Jha
Dec 1
Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618
@DRDO_India says NAG ATGM's new seeker has successfully demonstrated enhanced capability, paving the way for the missile's induction.
He already did.

Some difference no?

Zynda is asking for user (IA) opinion and Jha is quoting designer (DRDO) perspective.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

ramana wrote:Zynda is asking for user (IA) opinion and Jha is quoting designer (DRDO) perspective.
ramana, the DRDO newsletter quotes IA opinion as follows, "USER’S TAKE : During the flight tests, held during 28-30 September, the Indian Army (THE USER) confirmed that the NAG missile hit the target bang on and on the engine location of the target"

The September 28-30 trials were final developmental trials. We have not seen an IA report so far. IA should do more extensive trials, especially in Rajasthan in June and in winter.

Apparently, the IIR seeker used in the latest trials is the RCI-developed High-resolution IIR rather than the BDL-developed one earlier. The HR-IIR was supposed to resolve the issue of low thermal contrast between the target and the surrounding when the IIR failed.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Ok. Good to know.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Anyone knows if the IIR seeker also has indigenous detector?
Out of Dome,optics, detector, stabilization system, cooling system, Analog-Digital Converter, Signal processing, image processing and closed feedback loop to guidance system ,the detector part is most complicated as it makes use of semiconductor processes which are relatively new ( like HgCdTe process).
The rest of the systems would have been derivaties of other missile programs.

If it is indeed indigenous, then it marks a huge leap in our capabilities.
narmad
BRFite

Post by narmad »

Hemant Rout ‏@Hemant_TNIE 2h2 hours ago
Astra #missile developed by @DRDO_India exploded soon after take off from #Odisha based test range causing enormous noise. @NewIndianXpress
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Neela wrote:Anyone knows if the IIR seeker also has indigenous detector?
The RCI-developed HR-IIR is supposed to use an RCI-built FPA (Focal Plane Array or detector). I am not sure if it is already in place. Currently the RCI’s IIR seeker uses Sofradir’s FPA.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

narmad wrote:Hemant Rout ‏@Hemant_TNIE 2h2 hours ago
Astra #missile developed by @DRDO_India exploded soon after take off from #Odisha based test range causing enormous noise. @NewIndianXpress

Too fast a burn or propellant cracked causes instability.

Energy Proportional to Pressure*Burn Area
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

narmad wrote:Hemant Rout ‏@Hemant_TNIE 2h2 hours ago
Is this missile test different from the ones NOTAM was issued for?
Chinmay
BRFite

Post by Chinmay »

Out of curiosity, could this be a test of the solid fueled ramjet missile, aka desi Meteor?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

What are they testing today?
Astra?
Nirbhay?
Prithvi / Sagarika?