Understanding the United States of America (USA) - IV

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding the United States of America (USA) - IV

Post by UlanBatori »

The call, first reported by the Financial Times, is the first time a US president has directly spoken with Taiwan's leadership in more than 30 years. The White House was not made aware of the call until after it occurred, according to The New York Times.
The US suspended formal diplomatic relations with Taiwan in 1979 after establishing a One China position — which states that "there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China" — in an effort to establish diplomatic channels with Beijing.
CNN is so full of it. Why does the US routinely send aircraft carriers to protect Taiwan if Taiwan is part of China? 1979? RONALD REAGAN agreed to this cra*?
How is it "breaching protocol" for the President-elect to speak to anyone at all and accept congratulations on winning the election?
Richard Bush, the former managing director of the American Institute in Taiwan, which is the official channel of US interests on the island, said the call is a significant development. But he said it isn't "technically" a breach of the unofficial status of Washington-Taipei relations because Trump isn't yet in the White House.
So the DupliCity establishment is so dhimmified that even though it ****IS NOT*** any "breach of protocol", they are terrified to displease Chairman Wu-Hu. :rotfl:

Here is a boughtNpaid4 Democrat Chinese lobbyist:
Chris Murphy, a Connecticut Chinese-owned Democrat who sits on the Senate Foreign Relations committee, publicly blasted Trump for the move in a series of tweets. While it will soon be Trump's right to shift policy, alliances and strategy, Murphy said "what has happened in the last 48 hours is not a shift. These are major pivots in foreign policy w/out any plan. That's how wars start."
He added that "if they aren't pivots - just radical temporary deviations - allies will walk if they have no clue what we stand for. Just as bad."
"And if they aren't pivots," Murphy continued, "just radical temporary deviations - allies will walk if they have no clue what we stand for. Just as bad."
What exactly does the United States stand for? Kissing Red Chinese behinds and stabbing America's friends in the back?

Let me add my congratulations from The Yaks of Mongolia to President-elect-despite-recount-attempts Trump. Seems like the US is getting a President for the first time since 1979, who is willing to :P to the Red Chinese?
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

Didn't Obama ship Dalai Lama from rear door of WH afraid of Chinese?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Stunningly bad policy: The US opens itself to Chinese imports to enrich the Chinese, and the US then GUBOs on Taiwan. What if Trump shows them the finger on Taiwan? Will they shut off exports to the US? :rotfl:
They can threaten to sell off US bonds etc. Trump may say :P to that too. Already US commercial real estate is coming down sharply as money leaves the REITs as interest rates rise, so I'd say the Chinese are taking a bath already.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

While the outrage over the call is laughable - it is also laughable that a phone call to Taiwan is "standing up to red Chinese "
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Five myths on.collapse of Rome

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 0827dac3cc

I am more concerned.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Clinton, Trump advisors get into nasty fight at Harvard

Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

If you think the Clinton's aren't evil, watch this!

Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Gus wrote:While the outrage over the call is laughable - it is also laughable that a phone call to Taiwan is "standing up to red Chinese "
True, it only shows how pathetic his predecessors were when it came to China. They had crawled so far up China's backside that they could probably scratch China's nose from the inside.
ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

http://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/us- ... li=AAaeRVN
The US House of Representative has passed a defence bill that pledges $900 million in economic and other assistance to Pakistan, a significant portion of which is dependent of a Pentagon certification that the country is taking demonstrable steps against the dreaded Haqqani Network. The US National Defence Authorisation Act for fiscal year 2017 was passed in the House of Representatives yesterday.The bill limits the overall amount available for reimbursement to $1.1 billion, of which $900 million is available for reimbursement to Pakistan.It extends Congressional notification and certification requirements regarding reimbursements to Pakistan. The bill specifies that certain reimbursements to Pakistan are ineligible for a national security waiver unless Department of Defense makes specified certifications regarding the activities of Pakistan with respect to the Haqqani Network.
According to Dawn newspaper, the bill conditions $450 m from this assistance to a certification.
This year the amount was $300 million, which was not released after Defence Secretary Ashton Carter refused to certify in Pakistan's favour.
The bill is schedule for a vote in the Senate next week. Since it is a consensus bill, it is unlikely to face any oppositionThe bill notes that 'the United States and Pakistan continue to have many critical shared interests, both economic- and security-related, which could be the foundation for a positive and mutually beneficial partnership."
In a conference report, which combines the House and Senate versions of a legislation, Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee John McCain had underlined the importance of a continued relationship between the United States and Pakistan.
He noted that the bill "refocuses security assistance to Pakistan on activities that directly support US national security interests.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Gus wrote:While the outrage over the call is laughable - it is also laughable that a phone call to Taiwan is "standing up to red Chinese "
It's apparently more than Jimmy Carter dhimmified the USA into agreeing, and more than Clinton or BO have dared to do in 16 years. As for Dubya, he seems to have had his tail between his legs since "Wrong Way" Wong Wei and the EP3 came home in boxes. Pathetic. France looks sooo much braver.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

ramana wrote:Five myths on.collapse of Rome

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 0827dac3cc

I am more concerned.
Even if the city of Rome did have fairly high levels of lead in its public water system, which some recent skeletal evidence may support, it represented only one-sixtieth of the population of the empire. Lead contamination was never widespread enough to cause fertility problems, mass poisoning or other debilitating illnesses on a sufficient scale to diminish the Roman population and leave it powerless against invading armies.
But that's the problem isn't it? The Capital was full of lead-poisoned people lying about in alcohol/drug/lead induced stupor. Doesn't help that the Centurions were hunks, if their Jarnails couldn't think. I am beginning to realize after reading that article that the movie "Last Days of Pompeii"(about the volcanic eruption/lava flow that covered the city) was pretty accurate in its depiction of Pompeii as a place of incredible luxury - and massive, pervasive crime.
On arriving at his father's house, Glaucus discovers that it has been looted and his father murdered by a band of ruthless hooded thieves who have been terrorizing the city, always leaving a cross painted on a wall as a calling card. Glaucus vows revenge against the killers.

In order to convince the Emperor that the mass murders are not a sign of trouble, Ascanius, the Consul of Pompeii, orders a city-wide festival. In the streets, Antonius rolls a drunken soldier and steals his pouch. The pouch contains a ring that belonged to Glaucus's father and a black hood identical to that worn by the band of killers. Antonius brings the ring to Glaucus's friend Marcus, who follows the suspicious soldier to Pompeii's Temple of Isis. But before Marcus can tell anybody what he has discovered, he is killed by Arbaces, the High Priest of Isis, and his body is left to be found with a Christian cross carved into it.

During the festival Glaucus takes out his anger by getting drunk and crashes a party at Ascanius's house. There, the disreputable Praetorian Guard Gallinus tries to rape Nydia, Ione’s blind slave, much to the amusement of the crowd.
IOW, a Land of The Pure, inhabited by people following a Religion of Biss.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

ladies and gentlemen, it is my sad duty to report that........

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-ameri ... 98-n691326

the creator of general tso's chicken has passed on.....

the loss is incalculable.......my condolences to his family.

I will make amends to his memory tonight, rest assured.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

UlanBatori wrote: It's apparently more than Jimmy Carter dhimmified the USA into agreeing, and more than Clinton or BO have dared to do in 16 years. As for Dubya, he seems to have had his tail between his legs since "Wrong Way" Wong Wei and the EP3 came home in boxes. Pathetic. France looks sooo much braver.
You may think that some low risk showmanship is a brave thing ...I don't. Thats something you taught the forum.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Gus wrote:
...Thats something you taught the forum.
Why so much contempt for the poster and rest of the forum :).

Forget Kumbaya, we don't even need kummi.

But let's keep contrarian arguments going.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

onald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump
The President of Taiwan CALLED ME today to wish me congratulations on winning the Presidency. Thank you!
6:44 PM - 2 Dec 2016

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump
Interesting how the U.S. sells Taiwan billions of dollars of military equipment but I should not accept a congratulatory call.
:rotfl:
7:41 PM - 2 Dec 2016
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Why so much contempt for the poster and rest of the forum :).
PLS. :((
To say any more would be to invite the Ramanic mace on the head. :eek:
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Contempt? No. A dig at how the mighty has fallen, yes. Besides I think he can speak for himself ..

Mean e while - Trump picks Mnuchin - another Goldman Sachs guy...this one is special. Foreclosed on thousands and some of them protested at his mansion for a while ..

His regime is like a jobs program for billionaires.

Nothing says drain the swamp better than GS alumni. But hey, he saved thousands of jobs at carrier. He just had to cut them a deal for 700k taxpayer money ..

I mean it's not like he derided such tax cuts to keep companies local while he was campaigning..
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

To clarify - I mean ub showed how to identify empty nothing's and projecting that as some major thing. I am merely digging him that hes so taken by Trump doing the same thing ...
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

Gusji,
I also sensed contempt and no substantial argument to counter the point that even if symbolic this gesture of Trump's wasn't even attempted by the brave brigade of Potus that have preceded him ...

UBji, please continue with your trenchant wit..
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

^^
Thats something you taught the forum
That just implies one thing about the poster and another about rest of the users of the forum. So I said "why so much contempt about the poster and rest of the forum". I was not speaking so much for the poster but for the rest of the forum where I belong.

My interpretation of what it means about the rest of the users - "The rest of the users lack original thinking". Thus my question. It is only reasonable that when you include others in the conversation, they will jump in.

So, as one among the "rest of the forum", I'll reiterate that my opinions are my own without any learnings or influence from other members on the forum. Hope that's cool?
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Gus wrote:To clarify - I mean ub showed how to identify empty nothing's and projecting that as some major thing. I am merely digging him that hes so taken by Trump doing the same thing ...
So who's projecting the act of taking the call as 'some major thing'? Anybody other than the brain-dead 'liberal media' which is making it to be some kind of disaster leading to WW3 ? I don't see any chest-thumping from Republican / Trump side.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

This is so hilarious. On par with
The Boy Has Asked For More!
Trump flew in the face of four decades of international protocol and precedent Friday when he became the first President or President-elect known to speak directly to the leader of Taiwan since the US established formal relations with Beijing in 1979.
The conversation with President Tsai Ing-wen caused a diplomatic crisis with Beijing, sent shock waves through the foreign policy establishment in Washington and caused concern around Trump's looming presidency.
The stunning move raised fundamental questions about how Trump's foreign policy inexperience and brash style as a disruptor will translate to the intricacies of international statecraft, where an ill-advised phone call or off-message sentence can cause a diplomatic incident.
Trump's volatile, unexpected moves during his unconventional campaign made him an elusive target for his political foes, and often saw him take policy positions, or reverse them, on the hoof.
But surprises and unpredictability could be less well suited to great power diplomacy, and the world is watching nervously to see how Trump adapts.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

How Trump "Adapts" :rotfl:
Mr. Trump expressed no misgivings about taking the call from President Tsai Ing-wen, which was arranged beforehand. He bridled at suggestions that he had committed a faux pas, writing on Twitter on Friday evening that it was “interesting how the U.S. sells Taiwan billions of dollars of military equipment but I should not accept a congratulatory call.”
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

Most BRfites already know this but it is good to hear it from someone not originally from India

https://youtu.be/ijvVHdF7Ekc

https://youtu.be/Z4P1OKn-1Ic
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Arjun wrote: I don't see any chest-thumping from Republican / Trump side.
"Seems like the US is getting a President for the first time since 1979, who is willing to :P to the Red Chinese"/quote

What is he going to do about trade deficit and mfg job loss to China ? What's his policy there ? How is packing cabinet with billionaires who benefitted from job loss to China going to square with combating the issue ? Anything more substantial than "great phone call ..fantastic phone call ..made America great just now" ?
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Clearly we have to wait and watch...if this phone call is the start of a sustained and hard China containment strategy that would certainly represent strong convergence of interests with India.

I reserve my judgement based on evidence on the ground...whereas you seem to be taking an a-priori anti-Trump approach.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

I agree that his presidency can go any which way. I am just laughing at the idea that his current PR exercises - the carrier jobs, the phone call etc - are anything other than that.

There's also the charge that he is stacking his cabinet with billionaires and GS alumni ..you have left out on commenting about that. I don't think that the guy who headed foreclosures on tens of thousands of people will be the one helping drain the swamp. All I see is a bunch of swamp monsters heading to DC.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Gus wrote:I agree that his presidency can go any which way. I am just laughing at the idea that his current PR exercises - the carrier jobs, the phone call etc - are anything other than that.

There's also the charge that he is stacking his cabinet with billionaires and GS alumni ..you have left out on commenting about that. I don't think that the guy who headed foreclosures on tens of thousands of people will be the one helping drain the swamp. All I see is a bunch of swamp monsters heading to DC.
I guess what he meant by 'drain the swamp' was to bring in some legislation to curb the influence of lobbyists...in any case, this whole issue - like the corruption issue in India, is not a core interest from my standpoint....(& I would absolutely love for somebody like an Uday Kotak to take active part in finance governance in India..as long as the focus is on national interest and no conflict of interest).

The issues I am interested in: China policy, Mid East & Afpak, Trade & Immigration. Whether his term will be great, good or bad for India will be an automatic outcome of these four policies.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I am just laughing at the idea that his current PR exercises - the carrier jobs, the phone call etc - are anything other than that.
I am sure the 1000 Carrier employees' families who were facing unemployment right around Christmas time are equally unimpressed at these meaningless PR exercises. And as pointed out elsewhere - Trump accepted a phone call from the President of a sovereign nation. Done. Period.

The Energizer Bunnies who turned that into all the hype about imminent WW3 and End Of The World, are entirely on the other side. Most :rotfl: Certainly!

And more occasion for boundless mirth:
Hours after a Green Party-backed campaign dropped its case in state courts they announce a change to their strategy to force a statewide recount of Pennsylvania's Nov. 8 presidential election, won by Republican Donald Trump, and said late Saturday night that it will seek help in the federal courts, rather than the state courts.

The campaign announced that it would seek an emergency federal court order on Monday for a recount.
Related Image

"Make no mistake — the Stein campaign will continue to fight for a statewide recount in Pennsylvania," recount campaign lawyer Jonathan Abady said in a statement issued a little before midnight. "We are committed to this fight to protect the civil and voting rights of all Americans." {for the sake of European Communists...}

Abady said barriers to a recount in Pennsylvania are pervasive and the state court system is ill-equipped to address the problem. Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein, raised over $6.9 million to fund recount efforts in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. Stein framed the issue as an effort to explore whether voting machines and systems had been hacked and the election result manipulated. Despite Stein's lawyers having offered no evidence of hacking in Pennsylvania's election. The state Republican Party and Trump asked for a dismissal in the state court case. The decision came two days before a state court hearing was scheduled in the case. Saturday's court filing to withdraw the case said the Green Party-backed voters who filed it "are regular citizens of ordinary means" and cannot afford the $1 million bond ordered by the court by 5 p.m. Monday. {Boor Mr. Soros is boor beajant onlee, whaaat to doo?} Green Party-backed efforts to force recounts and analyze election software in scattered precincts were continuing. The court's order can be read here.
The Wisconsin recount began on Thursday, while a potential recount could begin in Michigan next week.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Of course ..let's just gloss over the fact that they basically bribed the company to do that. And Trump ridiculed such tactics while campaigning.

Why is this even an argument ...
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

:(( How DARE he save the jobs of 1000 Americans? What does he THINK he is, anyway, acting like he's been ELECTED President or something? Actually SOLVING people's problems? :(( He PROMISED not to solve anything! :(( :((

How the Carrier employees - Americans - felt in February 2016

Incidentally, the whine now is that Indiana has promised breaks worth about $7M to keep the jobs. Let's see ... 800 jobs saved, at an average wage of around $60K/yr? With benefits/overhead of a factor of 2, that comes to around $180K/yr per employee in money spent in Indiana. Someone making 60K pays around, say, $10K in income taxes, and spending about 35K of that on life, they pay another 1.75K/yr in sales taxes. So overall say 12K/yr in taxes back to the govt. IOW, $9.6M per year back to the government.

So $7 million divided by 800 means Indiana is spending $8750 per employee - to save $180,000 per employee per year, plus the 12K/employee per year for at least another 3 years. IOW, to save around $144M / year for 3 years by my Madarssa math. WHAT a horrible deal!!! :(( HiC would NEVER have made such a deal!

The canines show even more..as the Democrats and their allies the Communists spend THEIR time doing what THEY do best.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... talk-about
1. Carrier jobs are still moving to Mexico. While the company will receive $7 million in taxpayer money to keep roughly 800 jobs in Indiana, the Wall Street Journal reports that Carrier "still plans to move 600 jobs from the Carrier plant to Mexico," plus moving another 700 other jobs that will be lost when it closes a separate plant in Huntington, Ind. In other words, under Trump's alleged triumph, the one that will teach a valuable lesson to American companies, Carrier is shipping 1,300 jobs from Indiana to Mexico, even as receives millions of dollars from the state.

2. This is the exact opposite of what Trump said he'd do. As a presidential candidate, Trump mocked government efforts to keep employers stateside with grants, tax incentives, and low-interest loans. Candidate Trump said that approach "doesn't work," which is why he'd use a stick rather than a carrot: "What you do is you tell them, 'You move to Mexico, you`re going to pay a 35 percent tax bringing these products that you make in Mexico back into the country.'"

Except, with Carrier, Trump's doing exactly what he promised not to do, ignoring the solution he assured voters would work "easily."
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Give it a rest.

MSNBC is very wrong here and a polemic from Rachel Maddow is hardly credible. Other states like Washington state have given Boeing over a billion to keep some jobs from moving from Washington to South Carolina. Trumpanzee has indicated he's working on the remaining 700 jobs to keep from moving to Mexico.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The real fraud comes in the recount!!!! But why did the Greens end up being the losers??:?: :?:
The original presidential vote was held in May, with Van der Bellen, a former Green Party leader, defeating Hofer by little more than 30,000 votes in a tightly fought contest decided by mail-in ballots.
But the results were challenged by Hofer and his party, and were eventually annulled over concerns about how some ballots were handled.
Van der Bellen, a 72-year-old economist whose parents spent time in a refugee camp before settling in Austria, has championed liberal migration policies.
He is an outspoken supporter of gay marriage, and despite his age, he has young fans who organized dance raves in his support.
In contrast, Hofer's party had risen on a populist groundswell sweeping the continent caused by the European Union's failure to make progress in the ongoing economic and migrant crises.
What next? Instead of the Anschluss with Nazi Germany, Austria will be absorbed into Le Paradise Liberale Francais? I mean, Le Caliphate du Nord?

Vote Frau Jill Stein fur Fuhrerina!

BTW, note that all the :(( is about $7M raised by Indiana to save 800 jobs and families.... a few billion in revenue down the road. While HicStein spent $6M, going on $7M, to try to derail elections without any concern. Just to sit around "counting" votes that have already been counted.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

UlanBatori wrote: While HicStein spent $6M, going on $7M, to try to derail elections without any concern. Just to sit around "counting" votes that have already been counted.
There were several concerns expressed by experts including hacking, I am sure you are aware of them.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Oh of course! I am one of said Experts, I have actually voted in 2 countries - both legally. Not counting the thousands of votes on the TIME-CNN polls etc which may be rather dubious. Also I just voted on the Air India site regarding the clarity of their Baggage rules - gave them a whole Single Star too! I think the Austrian re-election was probably hacked, and so may the Wisconsin and Michigan and PA "recounts". Apparently they already have 75,000 ballots ready for the Presidential slot to be filled in (automatically of course).
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Mort - I note that you are simply dismissing the source and not addressing the issue, that this just PR and not an actually well thought plan to keep/bring jobs back. This is a stunt that is not to scale. Of course, that would involve a lot of thinking and planning and doing etc..stuff that modi is doing for past two years and results are still out in the future.

Trump bribes/arm twists a company for 800/1000 jobs and Lord it's a miracle
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Yep. All this is PR only.

Small fish(es) to reinforce the electoral image. And also preparing everyone for future steps to be taken in the reverse direction.

But such is politics and the candidate who lost the election would have done things very similar or worse.

All opposition to DT is fair and it just reflects the opposition that Bomber received from republican party, press, congress, senate, etc. What goes around, comes around.

As SDRE and Injuns, let's keep the distance, protect ourselves and watch the spectacle.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Obama should have read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... nesian_War

History repeats as a farce.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Gus wrote:Mort - I note that you are simply dismissing the source and not addressing the issue, that this just PR and not an actually well thought plan to keep/bring jobs back. This is a stunt that is not to scale. Of course, that would involve a lot of thinking and planning and doing etc..stuff that modi is doing for past two years and results are still out in the future.

Trump bribes/arm twists a company for 800/1000 jobs and Lord it's a miracle
He didn't bribe. It was the state of Indiana that offered tax rebates. As said other states, many of them Democratic controlled, on the east and west coast have given billions in tax rebates to companies for a couple of thousand jobs. The $7 million in tax breaks is a bargain. DT has also said he's working on keeping Carrier from moving the other 700 jobs to Mexico. Remember, he's not POTUS yet, but this sort of "stunt" will help him push his legislation through as it gives him gravitas even before being sworn in.

What people are missing is that Trumpanzee is going to privatize infrastructure development by giving large sums of public funds to private groups. The danger is that he will basically break the system between the federal and state governments that keeps roads, bridges, rail track, airports, power grids, and communications links operational and safe. This is a big red flag that he will wreck the US very easily (and more completely) than any missteps in foreign policy.