BR Forum Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by svenkat »

Dear Mods,
The TN history thread is wrongly labelled as "Re: Narendra Modi vs the Dynasty: Contrasting Ideas of India".Can you please label it rightly.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Mods requested to unlock the "Understanding US" thread after bans for thread derailment have been handed out. There is no point in keeping the thread locked any further.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

I have no idea what your name means and what stereotype is associated with it, nor do I care about that.

Posters can't see it themselves, but moderators have a view of each poster's warning record. You were warned in the past in the railways thread for repeated thread disruption. You have another prior warning from another moderator for aggressive name calling. I could post what you were warned for in both instances, but that would be embarrassing to you, and I have no desire to take it further.

In your post above you continue in the same vein by characterizing the forum and moderators in a manner that suggests you simply don't like the forum rules and imagine moderation action as an elitist act. What you choose to do is your choice.
Bhurishravas
BRFite

Post by Bhurishravas »

SAA Soldier ‏@saa_soldier
#Palmyra: Confirmed that #US drones were in the sky giving instructions & intel to #ISIS as they attacked.

This is a post from BR levant crisis thread. Worse still, this is a post by a moderator.
No news link, nothing. Just a tweet.

Has Bharat-Rakshak become a website to peddle anti-US, pro-Russian propaganda. I can copy some more stuff which is also clearly nonsensical propaganda.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

What forum rules being broken by supposed 'anti US pro Russian propaganda' ? Those are just two foreign countries . What's it to us ?
Bhurishravas
BRFite

Post by Bhurishravas »

Suraj wrote:What forum rules being broken by supposed 'anti US pro Russian propaganda' ? Those are just two foreign countries . What's it to us ?
^^ If that is the case then anyone can write anything without links or proofs.
How about this.
Somalia is sending 5 aircraft carriers to the pacific to attack US.

Isnt sanity supposed to be a criteria?!
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

You can post what's within forum rules . Sanity is your own subjective definition here .
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks year end holidays are coming. Happy holidays.

While there I would like some introspection on members parts.

- Why are you on BRF?
- What made you join?
- Is it still valid?
- How are you contributing?
- How much signal and How much noise?
- Lots of people cant join for various reasons and log in using phones etc. and what they get is drivel. They are paying for this.

- So I would like each of us to resolve next year not waste our presence here indulging in name calling cat fights etc.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

Ramana, I suspect that certain members are being compensated on a per-post basis. That would explain why there's so much noise. People respond to incentives, after all. In any case, this nonsense is degrading the quality of the forum.

I'd be interested in threads where only certain senior members could participate. Perhaps we could have an LCA (regulated) thread and an LCA (open) thread. Indranil mentioned recently that he'd like to have more advanced discussions, but he can't, because the LCA thread keeps on getting cluttered up by inanity.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

That would be elitism.
I think we the mods need to wield the danda more often and same time members need to introspect what they are contributing.
Also demographics. Earlier we had members who were interested as BRF was a lone oasis. Now many other sites are there and people have migrated.

I want to keep the quality up as BRF is still the best site which people come for info and insight.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

viewtopic.php?p=2094244#p2094244

While replying in a thread, it is possible to change the subject and it reflects as the changed Thread Title in forum preview.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Like I did it here

Post by jamwal »

Like I did it here
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Chandragupta ki Jai Ho

Post by Chandragupta »

Indeed, it is possible!
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

A Chinese nuke sub has been spotted@ Karachi, went over to the navy thread to post it and do some sino-pak hai hai, but the thread is locked.

The borderline cyber bullying on the thread by usual suspects is really vitiating forum atmosphere.
I believe that most of the posters on that thread are professionals of some sort or another.

It's about time they bring some professionalism in their postings on the board.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

I joined BRF. Now it is TRF. Just make it official and be done with it instead of the pretense and self congratulatory stuff.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

"NRao save this snake oil links for scamburg folks and your porki buddies on Deevan street" - how does stuff like this can be allowed here? Either people should join the chorus or be branded Pakis?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Gus wrote:I joined BRF. Now it is TRF. Just make it official and be done with it instead of the pretense and self congratulatory stuff.
I just came back from hiding under a rock for a few years. What's the T in TRF ?
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Suraj wrote: I just came back from hiding under a rock for a few years. What's the T in TRF ?
T for Trump. Maybe I should just ignore all else and post only in economy threads. Will be hard...
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Ahh! {tubelight flickers on in head}

I have not been into the Donald-Hillary Discussion, err, India-US, Thread, in a while. Before the US elections and soon after, I went in there on multiple occasions with warn hammer and then ban hammer to get people to get back on track. Instead of being taken seriously, me and other mods are shoved aside as people continue their strident debates, to quote greatbong:
I was told this by the very same people who in India have strong opinions on Donald Trump and white privilege, and who refuse to accept Donald Trump as their president, perhaps because their president is Pranab Mukherjee.
Since this is the phorum pheedback thread, what's to be one here ? Sure we could walk in with ban hammer and to a Stalin purge. Very satisfying while we click buttons, but is it productive long term ? Not sure. The fact is that when it comes to emotive issues, a vocal group (which may or may not be the same) on the forum doesn't have the maturity to hold its tongue. What's the best approach to moderate such chain reaction arguments ?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ Saar, if the mods give up, then what to do onlee? I have stopped visiting the US thread since the past 2-3 months as there is nothing related to the 'relations' between 2 states, unless HC and DT are the two states under discussion. Sometimes I feel that amrikis don't want to move on after electing someone they didn't like and don't have the maturity to deal with it. Or perhaps it's an echandee issue to see someone like DT in the WH. In any case, why make BRF pay for it? I had complained about the same thing last year (see prev page) and the status is sadly still true. You also had said the same thing as above, and it's still true :shock:.

Perhaps locking the thread till the next amby is announced or till DT takes office is the way out?

And Gus saar, was wondering where you had gone. Welcome back.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Well, what else to do ? We are all adults here right ? What do mods do when people just. refuse. to. listen ? Sure we can ban indiscriminately, but that's the easy way out.

The fact is the state of the forum ultimately reflects the level of collective maturity of the posters. You don't get to say 'I'm sick of this sh1t. Why don't "they" fix it ??' You (and that's a general you applicable to all) are one of those "they" . If you are willing to be swayed by demagogues, trolls and just suspend your typically maturity to post emotionally without regard for forum decorum, topic relevance or whatever, isn't that how the forum should look too ?

If mods have chase down every single infraction with a lathi all the time, it just means the forum really wants to be something other than what mods are trying to make it.

Ultimately, if the forum needs to maintain even keel, people have to be willing to think "as much as I want to desperately post this thought, I shouldn't because it will lead to more emotional talk, so I will hold my tongue." That's a rare attribute. I'm not lecturing from an ivory tower here - I'm sure I qualify as a regular mango man in this regard too. At least, it needs enough people doing it enough of the time.

Instead what do we have ? People ignore multiple mods, ignore the fact that we trashed at least one thread on the elections and keep hammering at the topic. Sure we could keep locking every thread / ban everybody etc. But it's not a productive option. Vox populi is what it is. If people think so strongly about the new Yooess el-presidento, so it is. We can't do much if people who are neither US citizens nor residents strongly wish to assert daily that Trumpuddin / Billary is the greatest thing since sliced bread / worst thing since sliced bread.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

What is happening in those threads is stuff that's usually reserved for Pakis and cheenis. It is quite impossible to post any contrary/dissenting opinion or question a logic without having a bunch of people descending on you, flurry of questions loaded with presumption of guilt etc. All questions are then reduced to 'get over it'. I can handle all that crap including the paki branding but not when mods do a Steve bucknor.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

My observation - after a set of warnings, there is silence for a while. suddenly someone comes up with a link on about Trump "bad-bad" and it starts again.

My personal complaint - not many are looking at this as how it applies to India. Most are about pro-hillary / ant-trump and vice versa.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I would like to know if there is a feature for people to post an article or link from a phone via the share a link option.
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Are there adverts on BRF pages? It's strange, but my ad-blocker says that it is blocking ads on certain BRF pages.
For eg, on the US Mil page, apparently 7 ads were blocked.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7088&start=600
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

I had some issues with my ISP, post fixing them, I've lost the ability to logon to BRF from my laptop.
The brf page itself doesn't open.

I'm able to access it via Jio from my phone.
Do I need to send my IP address to BRadmins to fix this ?
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

Saars,
Bradmin assistance would be really appreciated.
krishGo
BRFite -Trainee

Post by krishGo »

I am back in my 3rd avatar.

1st - krishG - Was using office email (IBM India) and lost the email after leaving office. Had no way to reset the password. :roll:
2nd - krishGAgain - Was using my uni email. Account got screwed after the DB corruption issue last year. :-?

Now in the 3rd iteration.

Is there any possibility of me getting back my first account? :cry:

Regards,
KrishG, KrishGAgain & KrishGo :lol:
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

@ dear mods,

I've sent an email to webmaster @ br with my IP.
Could you please allow my IP ?

I need BR to work on my laptop.. accessing it via my phone all the time is driving me nuts.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

Seetal ji,
Thank you for fixing the issue.

I have a noob pooch.i haven't in the past 13 years on BR had the occassion to use the 'ignore user' button.Quite tempted to use it..

If I click add 'foe' does that mean that specific user can't see my posts and I his posts ?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

nirav wrote: If I click add 'foe' does that mean that specific user can't see my posts and I his posts ?
No, it only means you can't see his posts. He can still see yours.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

Thank you.
krishGo
BRFite -Trainee

Post by krishGo »

krishGo wrote:I am back in my 3rd avatar.

1st - krishG - Was using office email (IBM India) and lost the email after leaving office. Had no way to reset the password. :roll:
2nd - krishGAgain - Was using my uni email. Account got screwed after the DB corruption issue last year. :-?

Now in the 3rd iteration.

Is there any possibility of me getting back my first account? :cry:

Regards,
KrishG, KrishGAgain & KrishGo :lol:
Paging admins! :-?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I locked the Understanding US thread as it is now a Trump bashing thread without contributing anything to the topic.

I had first started that thread over a decade ago for people to understand the politics and thought process in US.
Now a bunch of people unhappy with US election results keep posting anti Trump posts. They need to get over the results of 2016.
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

How do I change my handle in the forum? Is there a page that lets me do that?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

No, only mods can do it. What do you need it changed to ?
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Admins, Can you truncate my handle to VikasR or just Vikas. Full name & some trivia about me during the course of posts runs the risk of me getting burned :)
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Admins, a request and partial suggestion - can we ask those in massa to have a handle that don't reflect their name? with massa now checking social media profiles for one's opinions on "things", we need to be ahead of the curve..
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

Suraj wrote:No, only mods can do it. What do you need it changed to ?
Please change it to Melwyn.
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

:(( :(( :(( Nobody cares about my request, sab mile hue hai ji!