Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion - June'14

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

prasannasimha

Post by prasannasimha »

How do you plot a navarea on a map. Are there any freeware available. I could not find any
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

prasannasimha

Post by prasannasimha »

prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

prasannasimha

Post by prasannasimha »

I got that image from
http://img2.ph.126.net/80jjy7ZcCVkfd2-H ... 048407.jpg

What is that distance?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion - June'14

Post by Gagan »

About 5000 Kms
And the splashdown point is 2200Kms away from the nearest Australian Navy/Airforce base.
The Aussies snoop on every missile test of India. USAF deploys planes to cover splashdown areas for every ballistic missile test
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The long triangle is for depleted first and second stage debris. The rectangle is splash down area. Suggest take center of the rectangle as notional aim point. Could be any where as its a powered third stage for A-V.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

I hope to see several splashdowns within that rectangle to test MIRV. It is time we demonstrated that.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

I was hoping they might test for increased range (8000 KM) as claimed by few sources.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Supratik wrote:Thanks for the link. A lot of information.
^^ beautiful show with lots of nuggets.

Wish all DDM conducted such informative stuff rather than usual rheotric
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Deleted, duplicate.
Last edited by Karthik S on 26 Dec 2016 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

Vril wrote:
+++100
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

which TV channel is this ?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

should have been two tests in 15 min intervals...one for the current rectangle and one with a light enough warhead out to the coastline of antarctica ...

it is imperative we demo 8000km to bring all friendly western EU allies into our warm and loving embrace :)
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Azerbaijani Armed Forces are successfully tested a long-range air defense missile system Barak 8

Azerbaijani Armed Forces are successfully tested a long-range air defense missile system Barak 8 Israeli development.

The complex is able to repel any air attack on a maximum range of 70 km (according to some sources, up to 90 km). "Barak-8" was developed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), in partnership with Elta Systems, Rafael and other companies. Azerbaijan ordered a terrestrial version of SAM - 12 PU trailer chassis MAZ (6x6) and 75 rockets.
link
Last edited by Austin on 26 Dec 2016 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

"Barak-8" was developed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), in partnership with Elta Systems, Rafael and other companies.
So its marketed as a pure- Israeli product?
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Barak-8 is certainly designed and developed by IAI , The DRDO-IAI JV provided DRDO an opportunity to add Indian components to it which make its good from indiginous pov for us but we dont hold any veto of Barak-8 program or its sale , its JV thats good for both partners , that pretty much applies to any JV program , Maitri , Brahmos , FGFA etc
Last edited by Austin on 26 Dec 2016 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

Agni 5 Launched (tv news )
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

https://twitter.com/FinancialXpress/sta ... 2403516416

Old news as to reason why A5 delayed for this long. It was the main battery.

http://m.economictimes.com/news/defence ... 031884.cms
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

prasannasimha

Post by prasannasimha »

Live mint reports Agni 5 test successful
http://www.livemint.com/Science/HgIzku6 ... gni-V.html
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... s&from=mdr
10 minutes to splashdown for Agni 5.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

prasannasimha

Post by prasannasimha »

That link was 2 hours ago. May have splashed down by now
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

They are doing telemetry evaluation and splash down coordinates. Based on TOI report.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

ramana wrote:Prem where does it say 10 min to splashdown.
Then reporter in the video said splashdown was within 10 minutes thus reveals the speed for distance travelled etc.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

India successfully test-fires Agni V - T.S.Subramanian, The Hindu
The launch of Agni V from Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast at 11.18 a.m. on Monday was a success. This is the fourth success in a row for Agni V missile which can take out targets about 5000 km away.

The missile lifted off from a canister mounted on a huge TATRA positioned on Wheeler Island. A gas generator at the bottom of the canister ejected the 17 m-long, three-stage missile weighing 50 tonnes.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

prasannasimha

Post by prasannasimha »

All we can say is ground trace is at least 1.73 Km's/second approx if we know the time of flight. Depends on height of trajectory,whether any depressed trajectory or overlobbing along with bleeding maneuvers were done to hide true range etc
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ AoA...finally some cheer to end the new year.

Hope the Nirbhay too turns around in the new year and keeps the good news coming!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Four flawless tests meets Kasturirangan Committee requirements for SFC induction. Now on to user trials by SFC.
maitya
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by maitya »

This is a good enough confirmation that the test was a success Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulates DRDO for successful Agni-V missile launch.
Buried within the report are congratulations from the President as well.

Now off to User Trials ... betw with the success of Agni-V, why do we really need Agni-IV to be operationalised as well? :?:

I mean Agni-1P and Agni-III and V, will take care of our neighbors, respectively - right? So do we need Agni-IIs to be further inducted as well?
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

maitya wrote:I mean Agni-1P and Agni-III and V, will take care of our neighbors, respectively - right? So do we need Agni-IIs to be further inducted as well?
Older missile production has stopped long time back.

Refer here, Prithvi production was stopped in 2009

viewtopic.php?t=5077&start=320#p631276
The Hyderabad-based Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL) — manufacturer of Prithvi I and Prithvi II missiles — had received the Centre’s directive to short-close the production in January 2009, sources told Deccan Herald.
The abrupt closure means the armed forces will be short of 40-odd Prithvi II missiles, as the BDL will deliver only a portion of the original order. Neither the defence ministry nor the BDL authorities have explained the reasons behind the closure.
The PSU was successfully delivering quality missiles systems as per schedule till the closure. The BDL management has now been instructed to finish off the few Prithvi missiles, which are in the last stages, and close the project, according to sources.
The issue was taken up with Minister of State for Defence Production Rao Inderjit Singh in Parliament in February. However, the Minister refused to respond, arguing it would be against national interest.
My understanding is presently we produce A III & possibly A IV along with K-15 & K-4 that should shortly finish development trials.

Added later - From the link posted by ashishvikas earlier, its clear A IV is in production.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... 38--1.html
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Agni-V successfully soars yet again - T.S.Subramanian, The Hindu
Long range ballistic missile Agni-V was yet again successfully test-fired from Wheeler Island, off the Odisha coast, on Monday, signalling the coming of age of the country in the nuclear deterrence programme.

This is the fourth success in a row of Agni-V, which can carry a nuclear warhead weighing 1.5 tonnes over a distance of more than 5,000 km. The surface-to-surface missile lifted off at 11.05 a.m., carrying a dummy warhead.

The previous successful missions were executed on April 19, 2012, September 15, 2013 and January 31, 2015.

Officials of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), which designed and developed the missile, called it “a wonderful moment” and “a huge success.”

Agni-V's re-entry system worked perfectly as well. Its nose-cone that encases the warhead is made of carbon-carbon composites, which can withstand a searing temperature of about 3,000 degrees Celsius when the missile re-enters the earth’s atmosphere.

The importance of the success of Agni-V lay in the fact that it was fired from a canister mounted on a massive TATRA truck. A gas generator at the bottom of the canister ejected the three-stage missile that weighs 50 tonnes and measures 17 metres long. It has a diameter of two metres. A launch from a canister mounted on a truck gives the missile flexibility of movement.

Agni-V can be made vertical in three minutes and fired from a roadside in a town.

Former spokesperson of DRDO Ravi Gupta said, “We have come a long way. This is a major landmark in the journey of India’s missile programme, with its acquiring a powerful nuclear deterrence... This is a wonderful moment.”

The missile was tested in its final, deliverable version to the Army. Its configuration has already been frozen.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

prasannasimha

Post by prasannasimha »

Is the battery thing for real (previous launches were textbook perfect or could it have been a MIRV test. People must be guessing!
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

^
I was wondering about that too. Agni-6 was supposed to have been launched by now, and it reputedly has MIRV capability. OTOH, it could have been a component quality and reliability issue, where a component is successful in one test, but not in another.
kurup
BRFite

Re: prasannasimha

Post by kurup »

prasannasimha wrote:I got that image from
http://img2.ph.126.net/80jjy7ZcCVkfd2-H ... 048407.jpg

What is that distance?
Where did you get this image from ??
kurup
BRFite

Re: prasannasimha

Post by kurup »

prasannasimha wrote:How do you plot a navarea on a map. Are there any freeware available. I could not find any
Use this website to plot the co-ordinates on google earth ..... http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx

It's a little time consuming process .
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: prasannasimha how does this occur?

Post by shiv »

prasannasimha wrote:Is the battery thing for real (previous launches were textbook perfect or could it have been a MIRV test. People must be guessing!
OT but can I ask you a question? When you make a post the title of the thread that is displayed above changes to "prasannasimha". How does that happen? In fact I have manually changed it to Re: prasannasimha how does this occur?. Do you actually type in your name in place of the thread titile?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Videos of the A5 launch clearly show it emerging from a canister. This "gas generator" business intrigues me.

A brief re-visit to my schooldays tells me that a 50 ton Agni with a 2m diameter requires a pressure of just 1.5 atmospheres to lift it. I assume that the volume of gas needed to shoot it out of the canister will be at least equal to the volume of the canister - which would be about 50 cubic meters or 50 million litres.

What sort of gas generator would be used to produce 50 million litres of gas to shoot the Agni missile out safely?

I could spend a few more minutes to calculate the acceleration needed to throw the missile clear but in any case 50 cu meters of gas should do the trick because the pressure as the Agni begins to rise will be in the hundreds of atmospheres - giving it adequate acceleration.

Anyone know?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

shiv wrote:Videos of the A5 launch clearly show it emerging from a canister. This "gas generator" business intrigues me.

A brief re-visit to my schooldays tells me that a 50 ton Agni with a 2m diameter requires a pressure of just 1.5 atmospheres to lift it. I assume that the volume of gas needed to shoot it out of the canister will be at least equal to the volume of the canister - which would be about 50 cubic meters or 50 million litres.

What sort of gas generator would be used to produce 50 million litres of gas to shoot the Agni missile out safely?

I could spend a few more minutes to calculate the acceleration needed to throw the missile clear but in any case 50 cu meters of gas should do the trick because the pressure as the Agni begins to rise will be in the hundreds of atmospheres - giving it adequate acceleration.

Anyone know?
50 cubic meter = 50000 ltr.

1.5atm pressure at the bottom would need to barely balance its weight, more to give it upward acceleration. Looking at the video acceleration is about ~10m/s and my back of the envelop calculations say the gas generator will need about ~20atm of gas behind the missile to push it out. My guess it its some solid propellant burning giving out hot gas which builds up the pressure and then maintains it (assuming constant acceleration until is comes out) until the missile is totally out of the tube. One can see flame coming out just when the missile clears the tube but before its thruster is started.

I saw in a documentary that US Submarines use pressurised steam (created by some type of fuel burning to boil water rapidly) to push missile or torpedo out.
Last edited by JayS on 26 Dec 2016 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

sum wrote:
"Barak-8" was developed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), in partnership with Elta Systems, Rafael and other companies.
So its marketed as a pure- Israeli product?
A purely political program foisted on DRDO by "Bundle" of the AF and UPA fraands with Akash induction reduced to 2 squadrons as an incentive.
If the Israelis replaced the local C4I and TEL, then its a good tribute to our yehudi fraands.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

JayS wrote: One can see flame coming out just when the missile clears the tube but before its thruster is started.
Somehow I thought that jet blast was an explosive charge to knock out a cap under the main thruster of Agni. The blast goes left and a largie piece of debris goes right. But I must view the video again

That aside - a pressure of 1.5 atm as the Agni clears the top would require 75 cu meters of gas (I think) and that volume would have generated 20 atmospheres when the Agni was down in the canister with 13 times smaller volume - i,e about 6 cu meters below the missile - or 2 meters up from the bottom? For a pressure of 20 atm as it clears the top the total volume of gas would have to be 50 cu m x 20 = 1000 cubic meters,

I really don;t know what is used for gas generation. I do not see a huge flame emerging from the canister

Wrong! Plenty of gas there
https://youtu.be/YhSnkX3vZSQ
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Karan M wrote:
sum wrote: So its marketed as a pure- Israeli product?
A purely political program foisted on DRDO by "Bundle" of the AF and UPA fraands with Akash induction reduced to 2 squadrons as an incentive.
If the Israelis replaced the local C4I and TEL, then its a good tribute to our yehudi fraands.
Why it's purely political program currently Navy or AF have a medium/Long range SAM that meets their requirements. Only other option is spending a lot of money to import more S300 or Patriot Pac2.

Long range missile based on AAD is unlikely to see daylight any time before 2025 and AAD itself look to be in trouble.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Even Barak-8 did not meet IN requirements fully, it too was a controversial decision at the time. Won't speak more on it. Thereafter the IN, DRDO worked hard to get it into shape, but the Israelis themselves focused on their own programs first. That too was a factor which wont show up in any weblink.

As regards AAD you are mistaken, it has done exactly what it was meant to, and second it and many other programs had resources moved from them to the LRSAM/MRSAM which talk apart, have had no clear details to show for the investment India put in them in terms of actual technology transfer. Which is the fundamental issue about this & several other "JVs" which were proposed. The issue is not of adapting an AAD to the Barak-8 role, its more about how the MRSAM was conceived and pushed through, and what other alternatives were possible, with various carrots and sticks which had little to do with operational needs alone.