India-US relations: News and Discussions III

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions III

Post by Lalmohan »

well, I hope tellisbhai can close the deal on trump-mahal-towers
otherwise his only ambassadorship might be made by Hindustan Motors
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Ashley Tellis would be a great choice from an Indian POV. Only question is does he have Trump's or Kushner's ear?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Lalmohan wrote:well, I hope tellisbhai can close the deal on trump-mahal-towers
otherwise his only ambassadorship might be made by Hindustan Motors
IIRC, Tellis was the first and only person to propose that the US transfer (may not be the right word) nuclear propulsion tech to India.

I think he will silently push the IN "Indo-Pacific" agenda too. IMHO, that is the minimum he can do as the ambassador.

His impact will be most felt in the Indian MIC. In my view/expectations.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

Sorry, what is "Indian MIC"
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

masala infused chai - new from starbucks

NRAO - I think you are right overall, the only unknown is what weighting this will get in the new SD
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

SD? Trump International.

BTW, here are more names from a Indian news outlet:
Ashley Tellis is being spoken of as frontrunner for Donald Trump's Ambassador to India.
Bombay-born Tellis went to the University of Bombay before going to the US for further education.
Other names include Atul Keshap, Geeta Pasi, Krishna Urs and Lisa Curtis.
Last edited by NRao on 10 Jan 2017 00:11, edited 2 times in total.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Lisa Curtis is wife of S. Dhume ?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Prem wrote:Lisa Curtis is wife of S. Dhume ?
With all due respect, I would like to stick with AT. He, among all these names (and perhaps others too), would be able to overcome any loss from H1B/off-shore work. He - if I understand him right - is more interested in regional than internal aspects. Also, I just do not see Trump having too much interest in "NGO" type of efforts, which should favor India and AT. My thinking is if anyone can keep India out of Twitter things are going fine. I do not see too many +ve tweets coming from DT - outside of his Russian desk tweets. Keep low. And, get what can be had. ????

Curtis will force hyphenation. Trying to be perfect she will leave very little space for Modi to work in. Bad for this relationship. IMHO.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Prem wrote:Lisa Curtis is wife of S. Dhume ?
Not Lisa C, it is some other gori also from the think tank circuit.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Guys what happened to equanimity? or in Sanskrit Sthitha pragna? I see no reason to get excited about anyone.
I would appreciate if this thread does not degenerate like the US thread due to fan boys.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Among other things, an Amby also has to breathe the same air and negotiate the same traffic as the lowly Clerk IV class. I can think of better places to be posted than, say, prestigious Beijing, Tokyo or Dilli on just that count. Or Moscow/London/Oslo weather. A senior diplo (desi) was saying how his daughter could not get over asthma as long as they were stationed in prestigious Dilli. A posting to say, Tahiti or Auckland seems so much better if it is as a reward for political contributions. Can't understand why a 65-year-old multi-millionaire would want a job like Ambassador to *****, and get dragged in to the Foleign Ministly every 2 days to get lectured in the face by a bunch of garlic-breaths about Vely Vely Glave Consequences. Let's see ... 6000-sq.ft vacation home in Aspen? Or bunker in Beijing? Hmmmm.... tough decision.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

It will be great if Trump can dupe himself and send an anti Islamist and China trade hawk. That should do the trick for India. All else will fall in place. Other than that a real connected person in the business world to invest into India.

I dread the Tellis's of the world, it will be the end of our MIC and strategic sovereignity.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

I'll believe it when it happens regarding Ashley Tellis. He was one of 50 Republicans that endorsed Clinton in the election. That may get him marked off the list when the time comes after Jan. 20th. I don't think many, if any have been selected for any position in the Trump administration.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Dhume's wife is Alyssa Ayres. Thinktanker.

Tellis will be ok for us. Nothing to jump up and down about, but will be ok. He may not get it because two Indian origins in a row may look like a trend.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

http://www.firstpost.com/world/naive-fo ... 97464.html
Naive for India to tilt towards Washington in US-China trade war, warns Chinese daily
Beijing: It would be naive for India to tilt towards the US in a "trade war" between Beijing and Washington under Donald Trump's administration, a State-run Chinese daily warned, amid concerns that the expansion of India's manufacturing sector could dent Chinese exports.
"It would be naive for India to assume that its economy will boom if it draws closer to the upcoming Trump administration amid a pending trade war between Beijing and Washington," an article in Global Times said. "Overestimating US-India economic ties may mislead India and send it down the wrong path for economic development. New Delhi needs to be realistic in terms of growth. Instead of tilting toward the US, it should focus on developing its manufacturing industry and integrating itself into the global supply chain to expand exports to narrow its trade deficits with major trading partners and create jobs to generate growth."
The article hit out at the weekend's Assocham India report stating that India is likely to be harmed by a trade war between China and the US and New Delhi must be proactive to ensure that it is "on the right side of the upcoming US administration, or else the impact could be on the Indian services exports to the American firms".
Assocham's message that cautions being dragged into a US-China trade war seems to suggest that New Delhi should lean towards Washington to avoid being implicated and be ready to reap economic gains from a growing alliance with the US. "While this observation appears to be pragmatic, it is also near sighted and may risk distracting India from a better path for economic growth," it said.
Gautam
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Pathik
BRFite

Post by Pathik »

From trump to Vin Diesel.

SDRE herion Deepika Fartukone is going to perform dance with band baja at Mumbai airport to welcome Gori chamdi Vin Diesel.

This kind of nanga naach can be done only by desis to please gori chamdis this way, whereas our top celebs are subjected to torturous cavity searches in masaland.
The aam abduls and poor people in India seem to have retained more of their dignity and self respect than these wannabe celebrities
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

why not Rob blackwell Jr, hain jee? Apart from the whoops of joy that would emanate in Isloo at the prospect, the man could at least get a look-in.
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Pathik wrote:From trump to Vin Diesel.

SDRE herion Deepika Fartukone is going to perform dance with band baja at Mumbai airport to welcome Gori chamdi Vin Diesel.

This kind of nanga naach can be done only by desis to please gori chamdis this way, whereas our top celebs are subjected to torturous cavity searches in masaland.
The aam abduls and poor people in India seem to have retained more of their dignity and self respect than these wannabe celebrities
acutually for the sell-a-britty this is all pretty natural. If you have to sell-a-titty to someone anyways than who cares if it is desi chamdi or gori chamdi ?? You are not seeing things from their perspective. They have always be sell-a-titties. You were not complaining when they sold their titties to only desis. hain.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Why are we discussing just Bhaiwood here? The Indian press is full of items songs about how Obomber lecture on Democracy is relevant to India. All we need gora ( kala is ok is it is from gora land) thing and we are ok to do or say anything.
Pathik
BRFite

Post by Pathik »

habal wrote:

acutually for the sell-a-britty this is all pretty natural. If you have to sell-a-titty to someone anyways than who cares if it is desi chamdi or gori chamdi ?? You are not seeing things from their perspective. They have always be sell-a-titties. You were not complaining when they sold their titties to only desis. hain.
Sell a titty ness is fine but this is subservient behaviour and it is not reciprocated in any way. I have seen vendor desi PYTs from TCS and other indian ITvity cos. performing indian dances for gora client vistors from masaland. Doesnt look good even though we look at it as mehmaan nawazi etc.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Dunno how high curtailing visa "abuse" is on Trump's administration (I guess illegal immigration would be a higher priority for US aam janta but legal immigrants are a softer target)...but nevertheless

H-1B Visa Curbs Coming Soon, Promises Trump's Pick For Attorney General
Washington: US President-elect Donald Trump's nominee for the post of Attorney General has assured lawmakers of taking steps towards pushing legislative measures to curb misuse of H-1B and L1 work visas, significantly used by Indian IT professionals.

"It's simply wrong to think that we're in a totally open world and that any American with a job can be replaced if somebody in the world is willing to take a job for less pay," Senator Jeff Sessions told members of Senate Judiciary Committee during his confirmation hearing for the position of US Attorney General.

"We have borders. We have a commitment to our citizens and you have been a champion of that. I've been honoured to work with you on it," Mr Sessions said in response to a question from Senator Charles Grassley, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

In the past, both Mr Sessions and Mr Grassley have worked together to bring legislations on H-1B visas that badly hit Indian IT companies.

The Office of Special Counsel for immigration related unfair employment practices is an office within the Justice Department which would be headed by Sessions if he is confirmed by the US Senate.

The Office enforces the anti-discrimination provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

"While the office is designed to protect foreign nationals with employment visas from discrimination, it is also charged with ensuring that American workers are not discriminated against in the workplace."

"Many US workers advocate that the layoff of American workers and the replacement by cheaper, foreign, H-1B workers constitutes de facto nationality-based discrimination against American workers," Mr Grassley said.

"The Obama administration has failed to protect American workers here. Will you, this is my question, will you be more aggressive in investigating the abuses of these visa programmes?" he asked.

"I believe this has been an abuse. And I have been pleased to support your legislation and some others too, that others have produced that I believe could be helpful. It needs to be addressed," Mr Sessions said.

Describing Mr Sessions as a vocal champion for American workers, Mr Grassley said many American workers are being laid off and replaced by cheaper foreign labour imported through some of the US visa programmes.

Mr Sessions, Mr Grassley and Senator Dick Durbin in the past had co-sponsored a bill that would reform H-1B visa programmes by ensuring that qualified American workers are considered for high skilled job opportunities before those jobs can be offered to foreign nationals.

"It also prohibit a company from hiring H-1B employees if they employ more than 50 people and more than 50 per cent of their employees are H-1B or L-1 visa holders," he said.

This provision would crack down on outsourcing companies that import large number of H-1B and L1 workers for short training periods and then send these workers back to their home countries to do the work of US workers, he added.

"In 2013, you and I seem to be the lone senators on this committee who fought for US workers. We argued that the Gang of Eight bill that would have increased the number of foreign workers who came in on H-1B visas and actually hurt Americans who were qualified, willing to do those jobs, we said that the bill failed to adequately protect US workers and neglected to hold employers accountable for misusing the H-1B and L1 visa programs," Mr Grassley said.

"We tried to provide more protection for US workers. We tried to ensure that no business imported foreign workers before making a good faith effort to hire people at home. We tried to expand the ability for government to audit employers, we offered amendments that were supported by the AFL-CIO," he said.

"In April 2015, you helped lead eight other senators in a letter to then Attorney General Holder, Secretary of Homeland Security Johnson, and Secretary of Labor Perez on this issue. Some of those who signed that letter sit on this panel today. For instance, Senator Durbin and Blumenthal," he said.

That letter requested that the Obama administration investigate abuse of H-1B visa programmes by companies including Southern California Edison, Disney and IBM that have been laying off American workers and replacing them with H-1B workers in some cases reportedly making the American workers train their own replacements, Mr Grassley added.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Good. We also shall not misuse or bypass the provisions of law.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

May be this means one more memo is coming to add more qualifications similar to that neufeld memo.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

That's if Trump survives the huge on-going conspiracy to destroy him .Read my post in the "Understanding the US" td.
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

Don't count on Trump to help Indians out with the visas. His stance is very well known and he doesn't want to increase H1-B visas but eliminate them entirely or reduce them. He has no love for the Silicon Valley since the Silicon Valley has no love for him. Don't even count on Trump to increase the trade with India because all he wants India to buy products and build jobs in USA but won't reciprocate in kind. He's a taker, not a giver and doesn't really compromise. Compromise is not his forte. India needs to understand that about Trump.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

SoS appointee Tillerton's views on China are music to my years. For the first time an (incoming) administration is clearly saying that access to SCS islands should be denied to China as China has no undisputed authority there. I can see defense and strategic engagement strengthening between US and India much better than any previous administration. H1B and IRP are going to remain a bone of contention, however.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Hitesh,
Giver and taker are roles in an emotional relationship. Trump is a hard nosed businessman and his administration is full of either hard nosed businessmen or ex military generals. So our trade and business relationship will depend a lot on what each side has to offer and how they play their cards. Same time, I see great future for strategic ties.
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

schinnas wrote:SoS appointee Tillerton's views on China are music to my years. For the first time an (incoming) administration is clearly saying that access to SCS islands should be denied to China as China has no undisputed authority there. I can see defense and strategic engagement strengthening between US and India much better than any previous administration. H1B and IRP are going to remain a bone of contention, however.
The process already began in the Bush administration and was accelerated by Obama. It is already on a higher trajectory and the incoming administration is just inheriting that trajectory. It remains to be seen whether this Trump administration will accelerate it or just sits on this trajectory the same way that MMS/Congress first stint after the ABV prime ministership sat on the economic trajectory created by the reforms that ABV made and took credit for such economic growth when they actually did diddly squat.
schinnas wrote:Hitesh,
Giver and taker are roles in an emotional relationship. Trump is a hard nosed businessman and his administration is full of either hard nosed businessmen or ex military generals. So our trade and business relationship will depend a lot on what each side has to offer and how they play their cards. Same time, I see great future for strategic ties.
Trump may be a hard nosed businessman but that doesn't translate to success in terms of geo-political relations. His personality traits has led me to believe that he will most likely make a set of demands that would be unreasonable to India and if India (most likely not under Narendra Modi) doesn't agree, he will respond in a childish immature manner that may not speak well for US-Indo relations.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Well someone is concerned on think tank folks getting into the mix. As JE Menon said unlikely for an Indian origin person to get it this time. Mortwalker also makes a good political point as a disqualifier for Tellis. These are all fine and well honed folks. The problem is they actually know Indian polity a bit too well. I want someone, who we can manipulate to our benefit and not the other way around. A blackwill type will suit just fine.

https://bharatkarnad.com/2017/01/12/thi ... mbassador/
Think-tanker as US ambassador

Newspapers have already mentioned Ashley Tellis as possible US Ambassador to India. Tellis, senior associate at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace and formerly Special Assistant to US President George W Bush and, earlier still, Special Adviser to US Ambassador Robert Blackwill, in which capacity he was, over a decade back,the prime American driver in New Delhi of the nuclear deal. He is the most likely appointee, not little because he has enormous traction with the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party government. His advice apparently is so prized he has ready access to prime minister Narendra Modi that few other Americans and fewer Indians enjoy. The affable Tellis’ best attribute is a keen mind, smooth and convincing manner, and the gift of gab. He can make what’s essentially in the US’ interest appear — even when it is patently not — to be even more in India’s! That’s a tested and proven talent which Washington no doubt considers an invaluable diplomatic asset, not to be wasted. As far as the Indian government is concerned, Tellis apparently manifests “the brain gain”, not “brain drain”, that Modi said at the annual pravasi diwas celebrations in Bangalore the NRIs/PIOs represent. Except (in this case), the gain is America’s. But why quibble, “gain” is gain.

Tellis may get a nod for yet another reason. With him as US ambassador, Carnegie will have a one-two punch in Delhi, with the C. Raja Mohan-led chapter of that Washington thinktank cultivating a bedrock of support in this country for the US line, which makes any US ambassador’s job that much easier.

Tellis has the inside track on the appointment. But two other persons are reportedly also in the running, both women as well as think-tankers — Lisa Curis, former CIA analyst and senior researcher at the rightwing Heritage Foundation in Washington that fills out Republican Party policies with appropriate content, and Alyssa Ayres, US deputy assistant secretary of state for South Asia, 2010-2013, currently at the Council on Foreign Relations. Ayres has a close India connection in her spouse, Sadanand Dhume, formerly a reporter with the extinct Far Eastern Economic Review and now with yet another thinktank, the American Enterprise Institute.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So BK endorses AT?

What US needs is a statesman and not a think tanker for the job as they move into future.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

ramana wrote:So BK endorses AT?

What US needs is a statesman and not a think tanker for the job as they move into future.
Agree with your view. Also on Tellis here is what BK says above.
The affable Tellis’ best attribute is a keen mind, smooth and convincing manner, and the gift of gab. He can make what’s essentially in the US’ interest appear — even when it is patently not — to be even more in India’s!
gashish
BRFite

Post by gashish »

Xposting from Modi Govt's achievements thread.
Lilo wrote:
chetak wrote: ‘Compassion’ to remain on Centre’s ‘watch list’
Vijaita Singh NEW DELHI: JANUARY 10, 2017

Govt. says Compassion International has to abide by the law of the land

After weeks of discussions, the Union government has decided not to take the U.S.-based Christian NGO Compassion International off the “watch list” after it was accused of funding Indian NGOs that were not registered under the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA).

<snip>

“We told the representative of CI that they will have to abide by the law of the land and no exceptions would be made. We shared evidence of FCRA violations done by NGOs associated with them, which includes religious conversions,” an official privy to the meeting said.

<snip>

CI has the distinction of being raised at the highest level by the U.S. government and was the subject of a Congressional hearing in the U.S. as well. ..
^^
Banning Compassion International has rankled conservatives. Republican senator Cory Gardner brought this issue up during Rex Tillerson's hearing yesterday.

Cory says (paraphrasing) CI is unapologetically Christian org helping poor children in India

His claim that Compassion International hasn't broken any Indian laws is inspired by testimony of Irfan Noorudin Hamad bin Khalifa Professor of Indian politics :shock: at Georgetown university

http://docs.house.gov/meetings/FA/FA00/ ... 161206.pdf
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Gen."Mad Dog" Mattis,almost certain to be approved as US Def. Sec. and Rex Tlllerson want excellent relations with India. Therefore the warning by the US nominees to the PRC that they would be denied access to the illegal squatting on islets and atolls in the Indo-China Sea. This has resulted in the Middle Kingdom sabre rattling against the US saying that it would amount to war. UNder an aggressive Trump admin,there is definitely going to be some confrontation between the US and China in the maritime domain. Relations are going to get a lot worse and India could be sucked into a supporting role of an anti-China coalition should the sh*t hit the fan. Watch this space.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Might want to fact check Vin Diesel (aka Mark Sinclair):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin_Diesel

"Diesel has stated that he is "of ambiguous ethnicity". His mother's background includes English, German, and Scottish. He has never met his biological father, and has stated that "all I know from my mother is that I have connections to many different cultures". Diesel has self-identified as "definitely a person of colour", and has stated that his parents' relationship would have been illegal in some parts of the United States due to anti-miscegenation laws.He was raised in New York City by his Caucasian mother and African-American stepfather, Irving H. Vincent, an acting instructor and theater manager."

SDRE Deepika's (BTW, she 5'9") skin color is the same as Vin Diesel's without his makeup. If skin color is the event trigger to determine whether 'nanga naach' is in order, then the Congress' naatchne gaane wale have picked the right one: RG. He's whiter by many shades than Vin Diesel.

JMT
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Philip wrote:Gen."Mad Dog" Mattis,almost certain to be approved as US Def. Sec. and Rex Tlllerson want excellent relations with India. Therefore the warning by the US nominees to the PRC that they would be denied access to the illegal squatting on islets and atolls in the Indo-China Sea. This has resulted in the Middle Kingdom sabre rattling against the US saying that it would amount to war. UNder an aggressive Trump admin,there is definitely going to be some confrontation between the US and China in the maritime domain. Relations are going to get a lot worse and India could be sucked into a supporting role of an anti-China coalition should the sh*t hit the fan. Watch this space.
Oh yes, there'll be a nice little war with China in the near future. Wall Street and California dread it, but the US as a whole would welcome a conventional war with clear cut goals and victories. Unless the chini goes terrorist like the muslims after a beating which is doubtful given the chinaman's atheistic and effeminate nature, this'll be a quick cut and dry affair.

India should come out in full support. Whatever India get "sucked" into will be safely distant from the fireworks. The IN is not expected to participate in the SCS. In fact, there'll be so many USAF and USN assets itching to get in on some conventional action that there won't be enough chinese targets for American units never mind those of its allies. And India would come after Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Australia in this pinata beating. Vietnam would probably pick off any stragglers before we can get a blow even if we wanted.

The most we can be expected to do is to track down and kill the rump PLAN vessels in the IOR. Even here, the USN will try to get to them first so their Persian Gulf fleet can get some action.

There is simply no downside in supporting the US in this case.
rgosain
BRFite

Post by rgosain »

Chola, i agree with you, but, the problem facing Trump and his incoming administration is that a lot of the US establishment from CNN to wall Street kowtows to China and had invested financially and emotionally in a Clinton victory. Many of the same crowd were part of the anti-Modi campaign but that is for a different time.

What Trump faces is a full blown colour revolution, orchestrated, ironically, by the very same forces that practised regime change in the Caribbean, Latin-America, the Middle-East, Iran and elsewhere since the post World-War 2 era. The patterns, vibe and modus operandi are familiar to those who have witnessed these events and he could be facing his own Valkyrie if the report below is true
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... c01ee9089d
Should Trump manage to get to office, he should double down on the PRC as this will silence the likes of CNN and Wall Street.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://ddinews.gov.in/Home%20-%20Other% ... attis.aspx
US Defence Secretary nominee General James Mattis asks Pakistan to take action against militant groups operating on its soil; says India-US relations are important, US policy should continue to pursue a long-term strategic relationship with India.In a tough message to Pakistan, General James Mattis, President-elect Donald Trump's pick for US defense secretary told US lawmakers that if confirmed, he would tell Islamabad to "expel or neutralise" externally-focused militant groups operating with impunity within the country. He also said US' strategic ties with India was of "utmost importance" and if confirmed, promised to assess areas where the two countries could further bolster their defence ties. US Vice President Joe Biden has singled out Pakistan along with Russia and North Korea and others for making "counterproductive" moves that only heightened the risk that nuclear weapons could be used in a regional conflict.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

chola wrote:
Oh yes, there'll be a nice little war with China in the near future. Wall Street and California dread it, but the US as a whole would welcome a conventional war with clear cut goals and victories. Unless the chini goes terrorist like the muslims after a beating which is doubtful given the chinaman's atheistic and effeminate nature, this'll be a quick cut and dry affair.
A war with China will be a cakewalk.