Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Re: Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

Post by SBajwa »

Almost 50% of the Delhi International Air Traffic is Punjab/Himachal/J&K/Rajasthan/Haryana bound. If Chandigarh/Amritsar airports get at least 33% of the international flights from Delhi lots of money could be saved (delays/traffic/congestion/etc).

I waste at least 2 days when traveling to Punjab due to local travel to/from Delhi. But! there are not enough flights to Amritsar/Chandigarh airports. I think it is because of the lobby of Taxi business, hotels, etc they do not want the regional airports to develop.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Bajwa ji, you've touched upon part of the problem. The reason civil aviation cannot dully develop in India is the poor state of the airport infrastructure.
Its no better now than it was 6 years ago when I headed the commercial function of Go Airlines.
The key problems ( I will use airports in Punjab / North as examples) are:

- Most civil airports in India cannot handle Boeing 737 and Airbus 320 aircraft as their runway length is too short (e.g. Ludhiana).
- The airports that can handle larger aircraft are IAF bases used by AAI. (e.g. Chandigarh, Amritsar, Pathankot and ALL airports in J&K)
The IAF has constraints on the hours civil aircraft can operate. This affects airline operations in Srinagar, Leh, Chandigarh, Pune, Goa (Navy) etc.
- Many airports don't have night landing facilities.
- Airport operations are seriously affected by fog because of outdated CAT systems and poor AAI / IAF coordination. In particular, Chandigarh,
Amritsar, Jammu, Patna get affected every winter due to fog.
- Delhi and Mumbai have an acute shortage of slots, as they are both close to saturation. So, if there is a requirement for a flight from
(for e.g.) Ludhiana to Delhi, Ludhiana can only handle small aircraft and since Delhi has a capacity constraint, it would prefer to give that slot
to a larger capacity aircraft. This is the reason the development of more new regional airports will not help. 2 of the 3 destinations that may
be viable for flights from small centers are DEL & BOM (the 3rd is the State capital, if it is a sufficient distance away). However, DEL & BOM will
not have available slots - except at night, when the aircraft can't operate from the regional airport.

That said, there is no reason why Agra cannot be converted into an International airport with some adjustment by the IAF at Hindon and Gwalior, to pick up the slack. I had worked to get Srinagar's operating hours for civil flights extended from 3pm to (I think) 6pm currently.
Last edited by Deans on 13 Jan 2017 22:23, edited 2 times in total.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

There is more to it. Hyderabad has such a swanky airport but almost all trans Atlantic flights have a stop over in Mumbai or Delhi sometimes for 8 hours.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Karthik S wrote:There is more to it. Hyderabad has such a swanky airport but almost all trans Atlantic flights have a stop over in Mumbai or Delhi sometimes for 8 hours.
Wrong...I think only AI flights have to stop over...I use BA flights from HYD a lot and all of them are direct LHR to HYD every time.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

I said trans Atlantic flights.
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Karthik S wrote:I said trans Atlantic flights.
The BA flight is transatlantic...it refuels in LHR and then goes onto NY
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Thanks for the info Rajkumar.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Blr tagless system has been stopped. Guy at check-in counter said they tried it for a bit but stopped since it didn't really work well . He didn't explain how.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Yes it was tagged on 14th for sure

Mumbai is hamstrung by cross runway only one can be used at a time?

In rush hour they alternate takeoff and landing every 2 mins
ssundar
BRFite

Post by ssundar »

Zynda wrote:The policies should come from GoI. Private airline operators don't and probably doesn't need to care (unless the change effects the bottom price on the unit cost per plane) where the product gets assembled.

Also, I think Chinese Govt have a say over which airline will buy which product.
Actually, China does not dictate which aircraft should be bought. They do a balancing act of having all airlines input their requirements to the government and then one government entity negotiate the price for the pooled order. You get a better price with higher volume, obviously. So, there is a benefit to the airline. MoUs are signed after negotiations.

Then comes the politics part where the President/Premier actually place the orders when they visit DC or Paris. They split those orders in such a way that they appear equal in size between Boeing and Airbus. Sometimes, Europe or USA are "punished" by placing unequal orders because they did something bad to China.

The Indian government can do all this. Except, our netas and babus cannot be trusted to act in national interest. They will pay higher prices to Boeing/Airbus for a "cut" and try to push airlines in one direction for a bigger "cut".
ssundar
BRFite

Post by ssundar »

India's aviation woes are a major puzzle to anyone who thinks with logic.

We started out with privatizing some airports. AAI protested violently but were put in place firmly by the aam aadmi. So, the government got all green signals to privatize airports but mysteriously stopped with just those airports. THAT should have been the moment for GoI to step on AAI's throat and open up all airports for private development. Failure to execute.

Complete failure to execute on eliminating Air India from being the biggest burden on the country for decades.

Complete capitulation of seats and capacity to the Gulf airlines to the extent of even killing their foreign competitors such as Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines, etc. India's airlines cannot even compete in this scenario.

Geographically, India should be able to support non-stop flights to North America, Europe, Asia and Oceania from any hub in the country. That requires a strategy of building at least one Indian airport into a perfect domestic-international hub. A European ought to be able to fly an Indian airline into a hub in India, get off the plane, wait in the lounge and get on another plane to Australia with a seamless transfer. In the same way, a person from Pune or Lucknow ought to be able to go Pune-Hub-New York seamlessly. It requires one hub and one airline that has great flights into and out of that hub. This is what Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha are becoming for Indians. We don't even have anyone talking about a strategy to do this.
James
BRFite

Post by James »

^^ With regard to the airlines, the Middle East airlines get enormous implicit and explicit subsidies from their governments - most of the western airlines are also not able to compete with them and are crying foul. At the same time, the ME airlines function in the manner of pvt. sector companies especially in terms of labour relations, with fixed contracts and a hire and fire policy. So they have the dual benefits of state funded largesse and pvt. sector operational efficiency.

Now, if any GOI were to put in even more funds into Air India to compete with the Gulf carriers (for fleet addition to service the key sectors to which, first the Indian passengers fly to), then they will face: (i) political outcry that GOI is subsidizing the rich flying class whereas the funds should have been used for poverty alleviation (ii) inability to rightsize the workforce and even ensure that they work well; inability to fire staff non performing staff in an efficient manner. So they cant be sure that the money would be well spent or utilized.

It is impossible to think even, for GOI to give subsidies or incentives to the pvt. sector airlines to compete with the Gulf carriers. No GOI would want to commit political suicide by seeing to be benefitting elitist pvt. sector service providers.

Apart from this, at an operational level, ATF cost in India is very high due to high sales tax. This is applied by individual states and GOI has no power to lower these rates apart from moral suasion - again why would any GOI want to spend political capital by leaning on some non-co-operative state to reduce the sales tax on ATF.

Finally we all know how price sensitive the Indian market is. By some chance, even if AI or some pvt. player lines up all these ducks and starts to compete with ME airlines, the latter would simply reduce their prices for at least the time required to drive the Indian competitor out of business. I doubt whether Indian leisure or business travelers would pay higher fares to support a local airline.
ssundar
BRFite

Post by ssundar »

^^^ The only advantage India has that could be exploited against the Gulf carriers is non-stop service from India. Business travelers would absolutely love a non-stop from India to US/Canada/Australia without a layover in ME or Southeast Asia. So, with the right aircraft and seat configuration and code shares/alliances, India's airlines can really make a killing in the Business/First class as well as the budget business traveler in Premium Economy. There would also be a decent number of Indians willing to pay a tad more to avoid a painful and time-consuming connection in the ME. In a 1.3 Billion people country, it has to be possible to fill one plane of 300 passengers every day from Mumbai to Newark or Bengaluru to San Francisco non-stop. Alliances really help increase the premium traveler numbers.

A major problem is that aircraft backlogs are in the 5-8 year horizon. That means an airline has to plan that far ahead and place its orders. Most Indian airlines don't even know if they will be alive that long.

Air India, which ended up with the right aircraft mix (however corruption-ridden the acquisition process was) and even a strong government backing to join one of the big alliances, wasted it all because of their bland product and market planning.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Singha wrote:Yes it was tagged on 14th for sure

Mumbai is hamstrung by cross runway only one can be used at a time?

In rush hour they alternate takeoff and landing every 2 mins
IIRC they tried using both runways simultaneously a few years back. But apparently that did not result in any significant increase in number of movements per hour and actually reduced them due to the complications of using cross runways and limitations of taxiways etc. So they gave up on that and went back to using only one at a time. Usually just the main one 09-27. The other one 14-32 is used when 09-27 is unavailable for any reason. So we have the country's second busiest airport operating with just one runway effectively.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

and the LCC domestic terminal has just around 12 gates. any overflow has to use buses to the ground floor.

blr has swankier newer equipment but is hamstrung by the ponderous U turn the buses have to take to drop people off. I feel all the luggage carts loading and offloading could have gone to a special underground area under the tarmac and from there belts would move the luggage from checkin and into baggage claim...thats way no need to cross the buses coming and going . at present luggage trolleys and buses share the same path increasing chances of delays and accidents.

blr also has aviation fuel pipeline under the tarmac and no need for oil tankers unlike mumbai
vivek_v
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vivek_v »

ssundar wrote: .......
There would also be a decent number of Indians willing to pay a tad more to avoid a painful and time-consuming connection in the ME. In a 1.3 Billion people country, it has to be possible to fill one plane of 300 passengers every day from Mumbai to Newark or Bengaluru to San Francisco non-stop. Alliances really help increase the premium traveler numbers.
I have travelled multiple times to Chicago, Atlanta and LA from Chennai in a zoo of airlines right from BA, Emirates, Qatar, Air India, Lufthansa ..etc. I doubt nonstop is really feasible in a country as big as India.

The problem with the one-stop thingy is that Air-India flights are non-stop only from Delhi and for that one needs to travel on a Domestic flight till Delhi on an evening flight, stop over for 4-5 hours until midnight loitering around and finally catch the flight. Normally my connecting flights in ME are 1-2 hours spaced, the ones in Heathrow was around 2-2.5 hours spaced while Delhi is always around 4-5 hours.

It is actually less tiresome to have a stopover in Heathrow from Chennai and catch the connecting flight to the US (or) even proceed to Dubai and move on the next Leg in the A380's. This also avoids taking any evening connecting flights to Delhi and one can start from Midnight in India. Finally, the quality of service is, unfortunately, is better in international carriers compared to AirIndia.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the whole problem is US is 18 hours out from india and its more comfortable for a halt at 50:50 or 30:70 type places like dubai or europe or HK. and a 18 hrs nonstop from india is painful in economy even in a A380.

so let us forget the US.

can any indian airline profitably run services out to 10 hrs - london/paris on one side and HK/tokyo/sydney/seoul on the other side. there should still be plenty of indians going out to these places , or inbound tourists and business travel from these ? this is a level playing field and the gulfies have no particular advantage.

I believe indian airlines get reciprocal rights to gulf. so if the gulfies are operating to 15 places in india , are the indian airlines also operating that many flights to there ? if not, why ?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

I don't think we have non stop service to Shanghai or Bali from Bangalore. Les than 10 hour flying distance and still not available.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ When AI got its new 787, there was a lot expectation that AI will finally connect Chennai with AU destinations, like MEL. (There is a good amount of 2-way traffic - tourist, diaspora, etc.) Or at least a flight from BOM/DEL with am en-route stopover on Chennai, which is sort of on the way. Didn't happen. We got a DEL-MEL non-stop. When it comes to AI, they only optimize for DEL and BOM passengers (being the last halt before exiting the country), and folks from other places have to take multiple hops through these airports. Who in their right mind will fly MAA to DEL and then to MEL? Singapore/HK are better options, considering non-stop services to these hubs. Same thing happened with the much ballyhooed non-stop to SFO was from Delhi - why not from BLR?

No wonder airlines like EK, LH, CX, BA are the top carriers out of southern airports. CX does a particularly fine job with 18-20 hour journeys to the US west coast, EK comes a close second at 22 hours. Hard to beat. AI advertises a 21 hour BLR-SFO journey, but always seem to be running behind schedule - per Flightstats, it is delayed by 83 min on avg :shock:. I wonder how the business class is patronised on this route?
ssundar
BRFite

Post by ssundar »

vivek_v wrote: I have travelled multiple times to Chicago, Atlanta and LA from Chennai in a zoo of airlines right from BA, Emirates, Qatar, Air India, Lufthansa ..etc. I doubt nonstop is really feasible in a country as big as India.
Non-stop is very much feasible. B777-300ER, B777-200LR, B787-800, B787-900, A380-800, A350-900 all have the range to do India-USA with a profitable load of passenger & cargo. B787-800 & A350-900 particularly are fuel sippers.

The problem is that India's airlines suck at yield management. With the right strategies, they can fill a mostly-premium cabin from most of the metros year-round.
vivek_v wrote: The problem with the one-stop thingy is that Air-India flights are non-stop only from Delhi and for that one needs to travel on a Domestic flight till Delhi on an evening flight, stop over for 4-5 hours until midnight loitering around and finally catch the flight. Normally my connecting flights in ME are 1-2 hours spaced, the ones in Heathrow was around 2-2.5 hours spaced while Delhi is always around 4-5 hours.
Indeed. My last post should be read in conjunction with the previous post on having seamless domestic-international connectivity at airports specifically designed to be hubs. The current system does not work. As you point out, it is much more attractive to connect at a foreign airport than at an Indian one.
Singha wrote:the whole problem is US is 18 hours out from india and its more comfortable for a halt at 50:50 or 30:70 type places like dubai or europe or HK. and a 18 hrs nonstop from india is painful in economy even in a A380.
Many US cities can be flown in 12-14 hours from BOM, DEL, BLR, HYD, MAA. That is about 1-2 hours more than DXB or AUH, but is shorter than HKG-LAX for example. Tailwinds can work miracles too for these distances, at least part of the year.
Singha wrote: can any indian airline profitably run services out to 10 hrs - london/paris on one side and HK/tokyo/sydney/seoul on the other side. there should still be plenty of indians going out to these places , or inbound tourists and business travel from these ? this is a level playing field and the gulfies have no particular advantage.
That is more difficult because the EU and Asian airlines are well-established and can give stronger competition at their home bases. US airlines are comparatively much weaker on the India routes and would actually welcome code shares and alliance partnerships to take their premium passengers non-stop to India on others' equipment.
Singha wrote: I believe indian airlines get reciprocal rights to gulf. so if the gulfies are operating to 15 places in india , are the indian airlines also operating that many flights to there ? if not, why ?
Yes, there are reciprocal rights. But, the Gulfies operate much better equipment on these routes with much better features. There is often no comparison between the PTV-equipped 777-300s Emirates can throw at a 2nd tier town in India and the B737-800's that Jet Airways can operate on the same route.
ssundar
BRFite

Post by ssundar »

I also believe that the government should step in and facilitate (not mandate) a bit of a hub collusion between all Indian Airlines. For example, Air India moves to Delhi as it's hub and operates foreign nonstops only from Delhi. AI domestic to act as feeder into Delhi and operates flights that bring people from all over India with 1-2 hours connection time for the bank of US nonstop flights. Passengers should be able to easily transfer from the domestic to international flight. Similarly, another airline can make Mumbai it's hub, and so on.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ That's what they have been doing all these years, haven't they? How has worked out so far? I have family stateside and we fly back and forth multiple times a year to southern India. Not once, I repeat, not once has anyone taken AI even once. This is the case with my colleagues and friends too - no one prefers AI. I had one friend who made the mistake of taking AI BLR-DEL-Toronto-Dallas. Horrible flight, missed connections, landed 8 hours late and so on.

Interestingly, have come across a couple of gora chaps who swore by AI. Something to mull over.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

arshyam wrote:Interestingly, have come across a couple of gora chaps who swore by AI. Something to mull over.
Not just the Gora Chaps..AI is surprisingly convenient for many people flying home.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Why would anyone in South India want to transition through BOM/DEL and add another stop in an already tedious journey?
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Prasad wrote:Why would anyone in South India want to transition through BOM/DEL and add another stop in an already tedious journey?
But what if it's the only layover..how is it different from transiting through Heathrow, Frankfurt, Dubai, Singapore, Istanbul, Bangkok etc.
Marten
BRF Oldie
Location: Engaging Communists, Uber-Socialists, Maoists, and other pro-poverty groups in fruitful dialog.

Post by Marten »

It makes much more sense than going via DEL or BOM any other transit point outside India. Why should revenue go to these places instead of being served to our airports! Almost all of my colleagues now prefer AI over Emirates for SFO. There are a few non-Indian colleagues too who prefer dropping in by India via AI. Almost all airlines have issues, and missed connections/lost baggage are far more common with LHR or FRA. We have a mentality that will amplify any issues and more easily put down Indian staff even when there is no difference between them or other nationalities.

I wish that the airlines move some non-stop aircrafts to BLR or MAS. There is a good amount of traffic to MEL or SYD and we should be able to channelize this better. Air India needs to be brought out of that Delhi centric mentality, though.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

most of the passengers from india to major cheen cities have to go via HK. there is less direct flights even to beijing or shanghai. neither country is marketing itself in the other as a major tourist destination, though cheen tourists are swarming all over the world
ssundar
BRFite

Post by ssundar »

arshyam wrote:^^ That's what they have been doing all these years, haven't they? How has worked out so far?
Interestingly, have come across a couple of gora chaps who swore by AI. Something to mull over.
That's not what they've been doing so far. There are no hub airports in India. And, there are no coordinated connections. In most airports, you need to get out of one terminal and re-checkin in another terminal. You also often have to wait 5-8 hours to make your connection. I am saying that airports and connection times need to be designed to make this hub-spoke model work.

Goras like to get a "culture immersion" of the other country the moment they step on a plane for a vacation. Air India is great for that - aunties in sarees showing Indian hospitality, Indian food, overflowing booze, etc. Great way to acclimate to India :rotfl: . In comparison, United, Delta, American, etc., reflect no culture whatsoever.
ssundar
BRFite

Post by ssundar »

Kashi wrote:
Prasad wrote:Why would anyone in South India want to transition through BOM/DEL and add another stop in an already tedious journey?
But what if it's the only layover..how is it different from transiting through Heathrow, Frankfurt, Dubai, Singapore, Istanbul, Bangkok etc.
I am not saying that BOM and DEL are the only hubs. Every city that can sustain nonstop long, thin routes can be a hub for one airline. MAA, BLR and HYD are prime candidates. If Kingfisher had been a sane business plan airline, it would have made BLR it's hub.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

ssundar wrote:That's not what they've been doing so far. There are no hub airports in India. And, there are no coordinated connections. In most airports, you need to get out of one terminal and re-checkin in another terminal. You also often have to wait 5-8 hours to make your connection.
I dunno about other airports, but if you fly Air India, then T3 at Delhi and T2 are Mumbai are the sole terminals for both domestic and international transfers.

Regarding the lay overs, 5-8 hours layovers are not unusual in some of the big hubs around the world including Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok or even Dubai.

I was just curious to know if there are many airlines that have multiple hubs
ssundar
BRFite

Post by ssundar »

Kashi wrote: I was just curious to know if there are many airlines that have multiple hubs
Yes. Every major airline in the USA has at least 3 hubs each, for the East, West Coasts and the Midwest.

Lufthansa has a major hub in Frankfurt but also another, smaller one in Munich.

China has done the one-airline-per-city hub policy that I am referring to.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

I really hope our GoI gets a spine and comes out with a policy to implement manufacturing & engineering offsets in India from commercial aircraft purchases. Many editorials I read point to India & China eclipsing even US aviation market in another decade plus or so. It is highly unlikely that we will have any commercial aircraft product offerings of our own unlike China by that time. It is quite possible that Chinese airlines may start to decrease newer purchases of narrow body airlines from Airbus & Boeing once their own C919 starts to become mature & more pervasive. That would leave India as one of the key growth markets. I hope our aviation ministers start thinking on how to take advantage of the above.

Edit: As a last resort, we can try to encourage Irkut to have a 2nd assy line in Desh...
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

GVK has won the bid for Navi Mumbai airport. Hope they build an iconic airport that surpasses Mumbai airport.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Hopefully they figure out a second/third runway rightaway without kicking that can for ten years later.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

They will probably built just one runway to start with but IIRC there is sufficient land for four runways. Govt needs to move its ass on Jewar airport. That belt is rapidly urbanizing and IGIA is too far near Gurgaon.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

They have plans for 2 parallel 12000+ ft. runways. Probably, phase I will only include one runway like Supratik says.

They have an opportunity to build a really world class airport there without the crippling land restrictions that bedevil Mumbai airport. With the same consortium running both airports they can work together to balance the traffic and decongest BOM.

But that will all depend on how good the connectivity to the airport is. Airlines will not fly there if people cannot quickly travel to the island city and the suburbs. They need to widen and improve NH-4B, Aamra Marg and the Sion-Panvel expressway and provide proper khan style interchanges wherever possible. The Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (which I think costs more than the airport) is also crucial.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

NAL to revive not one, not two but three Civil aircraft projects. Jingo khush hua. :)

Working on prototype for five-seater with Mahindra Aerospace
Bengaluru, February 16:

With the regional connectivity policy in place, CSIR’s lab, National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL), has revived its three civil passenger aeroplane projects — the 14-seater SARAS, the five-seater CNM-5 and the 70-seater Regional Transport Aircraft (RTA-70).

“CSIR has given the go-ahead for carrying out flight testing and evaluation of SARAS PT1N aircraft,” Union Science and Technology Minister Harsh Vardhan announced at the Aero India 2017.

“Shortly, we will be starting the flight tests with the ASTE (Aircraft and Systems Testing Establishment) team and engine ground tests are initiated. This study will take a year and will provide essential information towards arriving at aircraft configuration for the subsequent weight optimised build and pave the way forward towards arriving at an aircraft which will be suitable to meet the IAF requirement through the Limited Series Production (LSP) phase.”

As for the CNM-5 five-seat general civil aviation aircraft, Vardhan said: “CSIR-NAL is working out a roadmap for the manufacture and developmental flight testing of five-seat multi-role CNM-5 prototype aircraft leading to FAR 23 certifications in partnership with Mahindra Aerospace.”

“It is being designed to be an affordable, easy-to-operate and easy-to-maintain light aircraft that can be customised to suit a variety of operational needs. This programme aims to boost manufacturing of small civil aircraft in the country. The CNM-5 has potential applications in air taxi, tourism, cargo, and executive transport in the country,” he added.

Talking about RTA, Vardhan said: “Studies have been carried out regarding developing an RTA.” The feasibility study has indicated demand for about 250-300 aircraft over 20 years in India.
Funding needs

NAL Director Jitendra J Jadhav, replying to a question on funding, said: “About ₹400-500 crore is required for the two prototypes of SARAS. The design will be officially finalised and approved by the end of this year and by next yearend it should be flying.”

CSIR-NAL’s developmental work over the years in both strategic and civil sector have resulted in spin-off technologies that have significantly contributed to the non-aerospace sector, said Girish Sahni, Secretary, DSIR, and DG, CSIR. “In order to encourage SMEs and MSMEs, technologies for Make in India developed by CSIR were released at the Aero India 2017 as a compendium of ‘Technologies for Industries’,” he added.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

^^ JayS, thanks for posting this. Great news!
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

CAG says AI’s loss at Rs 321 cr while airline claims profitability

http://www.hindustantimes.com/business- ... html[quote]

The CAG today said Air India “actually incurred” an operating loss of Rs 321.4 crore in 2015-16, even the airline maintained it had an operating profit of Rs 105 crore based on generally accepted accounting standards.

While making it clear that there was no fudging of numbers, officials at the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) said figures reported by the airline are “actually under-reporting of loss”.

Air India said the “operating profit of Rs 105 crore is as per the generally accepted accounting standards” and was calculated on the basis of reducing total expenditure excluding only the financing costs from total revenue.

It is therefore the equivalent of earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) and includes provision of Rs 1,867.78 crore of depreciation.

“Had depreciation been excluded from the expenditure the operating profit would have significantly increased,” the airline’s spokesperson said in a late evening statement.

Air India, which is staying afloat on taxpayers’ money, reported an operational profit of Rs 105 crore in 2015-16 -- its first in more than a decade.

“For 2015-16 where Air India has reported an operating profit of approximately Rs 105 crore, the audit of Air India’s standalone accounts for 2015-16 has been completed,” Deputy CAG Pradeep Rao said.

About the operating profit which Air India has stated it has made in 2015-16, Rao said that in the view of CAG, “it is actually an operating loss of Rs 321.4 crore”.

Based on the observations made by statutory auditor of the company and the subsequent check by the CAG, “We have found that they have not made provisions which they should have made in terms of standard accounting procedures,” he noted.

Rao spoke about Air India’s financial performance during the 2015-16 fiscal while briefing reporters about the CAG’s performance audit on ‘Turnaround Plan (TAP) and Financial Restructuring Plan (FRP) of Air India Ltd’.

The performance audit report, which covered the period from 2010-11 to 2015-16, was tabled in Parliament today.

CAG’s observations also come at a time when concerns persist in certain quarters about the financial viability of Air India even as the government has been talking about last fiscal’s operational profit to counter the concerns. [/quote]
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Air India sold 5 Boeings at ‘significantly’ low cost: CAG

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Indust ... 442346.ece