Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
kit
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Post by kit »

Rakesh wrote:
Cold Start: India to Deploy Massive Tank Army Along Border With Pakistan
http://thediplomat.com/2017/01/india-to ... -pakistan/
The Indian Army plans to deploy almost 500 main battle tanks along the India-Pakistan border.

NATO and the US army think tanks were very derisive about the sub continent "tank wars " .. esp when the brass tacks exercise mobilization was on .. called them a world war 2 relic
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Their anti Warsaw pact posture was also WWII relic.
Germany and it's counter Soviet posture was innovative.

Chariots vs massed armies.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Brasstacks was biggest wargame out of NATO III not those times.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

The indian soldier in Pak custody since Surgical Strikes has been returned.
[youtube]v=sBWkhhgRWNE[/youtube]

Fella seems to be in good shape. Alls well that ends well. His family will be super happy to have him back.

What is interesting is ... they return his weapon with him.
Can someone tell if its an Ak-47 or INSAS ?

Is it me or something does not look right on his face ?
I still remember Nachiketa being returned after Kargil. Something does not look right, something at the back my mind is saying something is not right.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

an RFI out for 2958 mini-Trucks for use by all Services

http://www.aame.in/2017/01/nearly-3000- ... ndian.html
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

kit wrote:NATO and the US army think tanks were very derisive about the sub continent "tank wars " .. esp when the brass tacks exercise mobilization was on .. called them a world war 2 relic
two things

1. goras have always dismissed our situation/concerns as unimportant/irrelevant
2. the US particularly and rest of core NATO were at that time moving towards RMA/NCW/C3I - whilst we were still in the older model, so it is an easy comment to make
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

CONDUCT LIKE A SOLDIER!
http://organiser.org//Encyc/2017/1/24/A ... dier-.aspx

By Major Gaurav Arya
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

West Bengal governor sends proposal for Azad Hind regiment in Indian Army
http://www.defencenews.in/article.aspx?id=250070
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Non-combatants to replace sahayaks in peace stations
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... 751804.cms
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Rakesh wrote:Non-combatants to replace sahayaks in peace stations
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... 751804.cms

About bloody time.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

wait wait wait a minute
why will the army employ and pay these fellas...
the family should or learn to do its own work.
Eff this......

I guess its a step in the right direction
Nice carry on
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Khalsa: After eons of being treated like royalty, you are asking the rulers to act like peasants? Not gonna work dude. They will pay, but they will not walk dogs, shine shoes, clean homes, do laundry. Not gonna happen.
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

What they have actually done is legalised the sahayaks into doing household work by hiring non combatants.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Rakesh wrote:Khalsa: After eons of being treated like royalty, you are asking the rulers to act like peasants? Not gonna work dude. They will pay, but they will not walk dogs, shine shoes, clean homes, do laundry. Not gonna happen.
Its a societal thing - not just army

else the local shopkeeper want turn around and say Ramu ek glass paani la when the damn thing is 5 steps away
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

That is true. I agree.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

the Army plans to buy almost 1000 new missile rounds

http://www.aame.in/2017/01/the-indian-a ... ry-to.html
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Hindustan Times Verified account 
‏@htTweets

3 soldiers part of team that gunned down Burhan Wani awarded gallantry medals http://read.ht/BReH
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Hard Work and Motivation as Hallmarks of Success: The Story of a Sikh Family of Kashmir
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/spot ... f-kashmir/

By Colonel Jaibans Singh
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Hiten wrote:the Army plans to buy almost 1000 new missile rounds

http://www.aame.in/2017/01/the-indian-a ... ry-to.html

Interesting they are in the category of SAMs :short range and replacements for SA-6 missiles.

No launchers.
tandav
BRFite

Post by tandav »

Jammu and Kashmir: 11 soldiers killed as avalanche hits Gurez sector, says army
http://www.firstpost.com/india/jammu-an ... 22154.html
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Can this be believed?
http://uswww.rediff.com/news/report/six ... 170127.htm
6 were hanged in 1950 for attempt to kill General Cariappa: Declassified CIA report
January 27, 2017 10:39 IST
Documents declassified by the US espionage agency, the Central Intelligence Agency have revealed a shocking bit of information regarding an assassination attempt in 1950 on Field Marshal K N Cariappa, who took over as the first Indian Commander in Chief of the Indian Army from British Army officer General Roy Bucher on January 15, 1949.
"An attempt to assassinate General Cariappa, the commander-in-chief of Indian Army, was made during the General’s recent inspection tour of East Punjab,” said the CIA declassified report, titled "Rift in Officers corps of the Indian Army", filed on June 12, 1950 that was hitherto unknown to the public.
The report is among some 13 million declassified documents, which the CIA have released online. The report was declassified in accordance with the US government’s 1995 executive order that allows automatic declassification of nonexempt historically valuable records 25 years or older.
The "confidential" report states that six people were sentenced to death for making an attempt on the life of Cariappa.
"Six persons have been sentenced to death in connection with the plot; several high army officers are believed to be involved," the report said without identifying those sent to the gallows.
The report also states, "General Cariappa as South Indian is resented by the Sikh officers of the Indian Army. The RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh) is capitalising on the North-South split among army officers, persuading Sikh officers, whom informant considers treacherous and unreliable, to spread dissension. Officers from Travancore (later Kerala), Madras and Maharashtra are invariable loyal to General Cariappa."
That the US intelligence didn't see Cariappa favourably is reflected clearly in yet another declassified CIA document dated December 15, 1948 which states: "The impending departure of General Sir Roy Bucher, the British officer now commanding the Indian Army, increases the possibility of an open warfare between India and Pakistan. General Bucher, who is to reliquish the office of Comander-in-Chief on August 15, has exerted a moderating influence on Indian military policy and with the cooperation of his British opposite number in Pakistan has kept to a minimum direct encounter between the Indian Army and Pakistan's regular troops in Kashmir."
"His successor, Lieutenant General K M Cariappa, gives the impression of being vain, temperamentally unstable, and lacking sound military judgement; there is a danger that in attempting to give palatable military advice to the Indian government he may fail to give due consideration to all of the military and political factors involved and that he may use his new position to seek the personal glory that a speedy termination of the Kashmir campaign would provide."
General Cariappa was then the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Western Command during the Jammu and Kashmir operations.
But could these notes just be tales of fantasy?
The assassination attempt report too is preposterous, Air Marshal (retd) Nanda Cariappa, General Cariappa's son, told Outlook magazine.
"I think it is implausible, I have never heard about it, quite honestly, and nobody I know has ever heard about it. In 1950, one year into being the commander in chief, he was in good terms with the politicians. I can’t think of anybody who would want to bump him off," said Air Marshal (retd) Nanda, who retired from the IAF 20 years ago.
Gautam
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

All BS- for Punjab election see this bit
The RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh) is capitalising on the North-South split among army officers, persuading Sikh officers, whom informant considers treacherous and unreliable, to spread dissension
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

just like Inception or Terminator movie, even history can be altered.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

sometimes informants like to inform due to the $/word ROI or inform red herrings to see where they land up

the best modern example is the Iraqi dude who informed on saddam's bio-warfare programme by quoting verbatim from that movie with sean connery and Nicholas cage about the bio weapons hidden in Alcatraz...
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Surya wrote:
Its a societal thing - not just army

else the local shopkeeper want turn around and say Ramu ek glass paani la when the damn thing is 5 steps away
I thought even porkis have done away with this long back.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

The assassination attempt report too is preposterous, Air Marshal (retd) Nanda Cariappa, General Cariappa's son, told Outlook magazine."I think it is implausible, I have never heard about it, quite honestly, and nobody I know has ever heard about it. In 1950, one year into being the commander in chief, he was in good terms with the politicians. I can’t think of anybody who would want to bump him off," said Air Marshal (retd) Nanda, who retired from the IAF 20 years ago.
Everyone knows the story of Thakur Nathu Singh, a Northie, snubbing Nehru and recommending Gen Cariappa, a Southie, instead of himself. Such is the ethos of the Army.

Bloody Presstitutes spreading PsyOps
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

Depending on the date, it could be a mis-reporting of the Brigadier Pritam Singh's travails. The brigadier was the savior of Poonch, who had saved both the land and 40,000+ refugees through some of the worst conditions imaginable. However he had a bad relationship with his boss, Major General Atma Singh, and higher command (Maj Gen Kulwant Singh and Lt Gen Cariappa) had to frequently step in to sort things out. Poonch was a battlefield back then, with RSS and Sikh refugees determined to wipe out local Muslims and the Army trying to keep peace and fight the invading Muslim tribals at the same time. Someone may have given it a N/S spin.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Livefist ‏@livefist · 43m43 minutes ago

The Indian Army needs a big air defence missile replenishment, publishes requirement for 500 Igla-1M missiles, 200 Kvadrat & 250 Strela-10M.

kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

abhishek_sharma wrote:Livefist ‏@livefist · 43m43 minutes ago

The Indian Army needs a big air defence missile replenishment, publishes requirement for 500 Igla-1M missiles, 200 Kvadrat & 250 Strela-10M.

]
looks all geared up for a massive cold start to tear apart Pakistan and its CPEC
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Akshay Kumar opens up on his initiative for the Indian Army
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ente ... 804386.cms
The 'Rustom' actor shared a video on Twitter, where he stated how he intends to start an app where the citizens of the country can offer financial assistance to the families of jawans who have lost their lives.
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

Army sets up WhatsApp number for soldiers to post problems to Gen Bipin Rawat
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... n=ETTWMain
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Another BSF man posts video, claims liquor for force sold to outsiders
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 838066.cms?
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

abhishek_sharma wrote:Livefist ‏@livefist · 43m43 minutes ago

Igla I understand but why Buk & Strela? That's essentially Akash & Spyder.
pattnayak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pattnayak »

I don't know if this video was posted earlier, but I couldn't wait to share this on BRF after I saw it. A great video on a great son of India. Million times better than all the movies we are getting nowadays on "benevolent gangsters".
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

God bless people like Dada and their famalies
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

pattnayak wrote:

I don't know if this video was posted earlier, but I couldn't wait to share this on BRF after I saw it. A great video on a great son of India. Million times better than all the movies we are getting nowadays on "benevolent gangsters".

Thank you very much pattnayak

what a beautiful film

what a superb ending with one of the best regimental songs
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

pattnayak wrote:

Thanks for posting. the ending made my hair stand up.
brvarsh
BRFite

Post by brvarsh »

Its an amazing video but raises the same pertinent question - how many lives can we save to just provide bullet proof jackets to our brave hearts who are sent on such missions? In such terrains no one takes a head shot. We understand its the economy of cash management but it pains me to see lakhs spent on unnecessary things and we still lack small little things that have immediate tangible results to be seen. We can puff our seena with pride watching videos like this but at the end we lost a brave soldier fighting low life pigs who likely had a wonderful career ahead of him.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

pattnayak wrote: I don't know if this video was posted earlier, but I couldn't wait to share this on BRF after I saw it. A great video on a great son of India. Million times better than all the movies we are getting nowadays on "benevolent gangsters".
100% endorse this sentiment. Thanks for posting this inspiring bio documentary
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

nukavarapu wrote:A really amazing video. Makes me wonder why they did not use sniper rifles to take out the pigs!

I am not sure about the terrain but looking at the videos I do feel that atleast couple of the pigs can be taken by 2 different snipers. Please do correct me if I am wrong!
The terrain in the video is just a depiction. Moreover, it was a fast moving situation in an area with boulders and nullahs. Snipers don't work well in such environments.

For those wondering about the song at the end of the video, its the Assam Regiment's regimental song. Its a song about a WWII soldier named Badlu Ram who died but the QM forgot to strike his name off the listing of living soldiers and continued to draw rations for him. Sometime later the Japanese laid a siege (must be the one which culminated in the Battle of Imphal) cutting off all supplies and the extra rations drawn in Badlu Ram's name then came in handy and ensured that the troops didn't starve and managed to fend off the siege.