Indian IT Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian IT Industry

Post by Suraj »

Here's Mary Meeker's entire presentation. Check out all the 'excl India' figures.
Mary Meeker: State of the web
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the global slump in smartphone shipments must be the reason why every chinese birader has crawled into india offering the latest kit at or below cost price just to stay alive
parikh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by parikh »

The level of IT Munnas is shocking , was interviewing some munnas for a new dhaba in Bengaluru

- most of them dont know to write basic code anymore (as simple as a java servlet) forget C , unless using some fancy package
- most of them are paid exorbitant salaries , 2 yrs old kids are paid 20L ,but dont know zilch
- lot of layoffs happening in the startups but salary expectations even if laid off are stratospheric
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

parikh wrote:The level of IT Munnas is shocking , was interviewing some munnas for a new dhaba in Bengaluru

- most of them dont know to write basic code anymore (as simple as a java servlet) forget C , unless using some fancy package
- most of them are paid exorbitant salaries , 2 yrs old kids are paid 20L ,but dont know zilch
- lot of layoffs happening in the startups but salary expectations even if laid off are stratospheric
I've been saying this for years (since 2008 at least) ever since my bad experience with TCS folks who came to PeechaKaro and turned the place upside down with their juvenile harkath.
Many here got mad saying there are many good people which is true. But in the group of 40, I saw only 3-4 good and only 1 was outstanding. The rest were worthless and actually very disruptive and arrogant. I always wondered where the F did the arrogance come from? It's like Ford Aspire pretending to be a Ferrari.

The younger munnas are spoiled because of the ease of getting jobs and promotions. The 'College of Hard Knocks' aka 'life' will teach them and they will come down with their tails between their legs pretty quickly.

One of my wife's colleagues was telling her about one munna in BLR who bought a Beamer with his first salary. Then he found that he had no money for rent so was begging this colleague for money. He asked him about the car and the munna said it was a necessity. :rotfl:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

must be a fat salary to be buying even the cheapest bmw x1 which I think costs 22+ here. IIM grad ? :mrgreen:
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

IT grads' ignorance, arrogance and emptiness is (and has been since long) appalling. I know companies who train and recruit ITI passouts and from lowly training institutes. Works quite well. They come cheap as low as 5k/m. All you need to do is to work with those instructors for your own needs.

Also, every second munna now-a-din talks about his "unique" idea which will revolutionize the world. The only obstacle for them seems to be that they don't know how to design the database for their system :rotfl: .
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

kapilrdave wrote:IT grads' ignorance, arrogance and emptiness is (and has been since long) appalling. I know companies who train and recruit ITI passouts and from lowly training institutes. Works quite well. They come cheap as low as 5k/m. All you need to do is to work with those instructors for your own needs.

Also, every second munna now-a-din talks about his "unique" idea which will revolutionize the world. The only obstacle for them seems to be that they don't know how to design the database for their system :rotfl: .
My sasurji is visiting from BLR. He likes to gloat that every street in his neighborhood (posh place) has many software companies. I asked him how many of them are actually making money? He did not know.

Then we have folks like Punit Soni who come back to India, talk like goras about the "energy" and "vibrancy" and "abundance of ideas" of India. Things get rough and he wants to hightail back to SillyValley. Within a year, he now claims that his vision was different for the company and his role.

I really hope that Indian companies become real software powers and come out with path-breaking products like Microsoft, Google, etc rather than just copy and adopt for the Indian market like we have been doing all these years.
saumitra_j
BRFite

Post by saumitra_j »

KJo wrote:My sasurji is visiting from BLR. He likes to gloat that every street in his neighborhood (posh place) has many software companies. I asked him how many of them are actually making money? He did not know.
sir, most IT companies which are an offshore partner to any first world company are making tons of money, regardless of what they actually do! Your sasurji may gloat about all things software but he probably does not know so called knowledge in the knowledge industry is pretty shallow! I am based out of Desh mostly although I have had stints in other countries. General observation is that 80/20 rule applies uniformly everywhere :). Most of the IT Munnas with low levels of knowledge are replacing the more expensive Munnas with almost the same level of knowledge! I work for a captive for an IB and you will not believe the amount of mess created by firang Munnas all across the world including from über places like "The City of London", "San Francisco" and Berlin.... unbelievable amount of $$$ going down the drain!!
I really hope that Indian companies become real software powers and come out with path-breaking products like Microsoft, Google, etc rather than just copy and adopt for the Indian market like we have been doing all these years.
Sir, will take years. I hope too ..been part of a start up in 2007 where I lost everything but learned valuable lessons! Indian clients are not yet as mature as the Western world although this is changing. Also, the overall IT ecosystem has grown on ADM projects which does not require very high skills. Most of the current middle management in India with IT companies do not know either the business domain or the technology...how can they since they became "managers" after having done things like fixing a SQL here and there or fixing a small piece of Java code through ADM projects!

Another problem I see in the industry is that there is absolutely NO CULTURE of deliberate learning or actually spending time and money on learning something new. I interview so many folks who keep telling me that they don't know XYZ because their organization didn't train them :shock: In this day and age of Youtube, Coursera and our very own NPTEL, I just can't take this as an answer. Folks just go to work, do something, blow up money over the weekend and learn nothing :(
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

KJo wrote:I really hope that Indian companies become real software powers and come out with path-breaking products like Microsoft, Google, etc rather than just copy and adopt for the Indian market like we have been doing all these years.
saumitra_j wrote:Sir, will take years. I hope too ..been part of a start up in 2007 where I lost everything but learned valuable lessons! Indian clients are not yet as mature as the Western world although this is changing. Also, the overall IT ecosystem has grown on ADM projects which does not require very high skills. Most of the current middle management in India with IT companies do not know either the business domain or the technology...how can they since they became "managers" after having done things like fixing a SQL here and there or fixing a small piece of Java code through ADM projects!

Another problem I see in the industry is that there is absolutely NO CULTURE of deliberate learning or actually spending time and money on learning something new. I interview so many folks who keep telling me that they don't know XYZ because their organization didn't train them :shock: In this day and age of Youtube, Coursera and our very own NPTEL, I just can't take this as an answer. Folks just go to work, do something, blow up money over the weekend and learn nothing :(
To add to what saumitra has said - currently, major part of business for all of our big companies are about solving foreign problems. We still have not had a major company dedicated to solving local problems. Once some of our start-ups and smaller companies dealing with solutions to our own problems, become big, that would be the beginning imo.

Ex: Concept of flash sales started in china (I think) and now major e-commerce products from SAP, IBM, Oracle, etc. come with flash sales feature, plugin, etc. However major chinese e-commerce portals are still running with custom platforms. Along those lines, we need our own concepts and solutions.

Currently IT (boom) in India has primarily helped in increasing middle class. With this base, there is lot of potential, but only from the current and next generation of entrepreneurs.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Offshoring firms continue to make solid money in their business - but very little investor money required nor is investor money flowing into these firms unless they have attained good scale.

Ecommerce-type firms making very little actual money from business - but some of them are certainly making a huge amount of money from investors for their shareholders.

So both sides are doing pretty well in India, thank you !
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Indian and firang IT companies do solve Indian problems. Passport Seva is prime example. Indian customers are more demanding and cost conscious so it is difficult to work with them. Let me give you an example, this is a global MNC in the corporate food/canteen mgmt. They wanted our help in serialization at their warehouse and we quoted a price with 6 weeks of work. It was far less than what we quote for onsite work. The director came back and said can you do it in 2 weeks for 1/6th of the price and that they will not provide travel/lodging expenses even though we have to travel to their warehouse in Mumbai. I said f'off. And this is not the first incident, there was another one, one of the world's largest liquor manufacturers with HQ in Gurgaon. We started a 6 weeks engagement for supply chain visibility with a set of deliverables defined. The local director kept changing it even after we started the assignment and it took us 10 weeks with expanded scope for the price of 6 weeks. We wanted to get out of it, but because we had a global relationship we couldn't. That's the end of our consultingiri endeavors in desh. Not really worth the effort.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

The premise is why Indian companies are not yet creating path breaking products like MS, Google, etc. If we are discussing something else then I am mistaken.

@Arjun - The point is not about taking investor money but how to leverage it to make a global product or process or solution - I was suggesting start with solving indian problem and apply it regionally and globally. One can also innovate by solving a foreign problem and then bring the solution to India. But to solve a foreign problem one should already be an established company (under normal circumstances).

@Javee - Yes, e-Seva / IRCTC are good examples but are not at a stage where either the UX / Process / etc. could be leveraged across the board. Another example is - PayTM, which could be something that could grow to the level of PayPal. However with lots of investor money, it remains to be seen how long it is under Indian control
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

netz india has announced support for 8 startups among many who had pitched in this round
https://www.facebook.com/CiscoLaunchPad ... page_panel
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Javee wrote:Indian and firang IT companies do solve Indian problems. Passport Seva is prime example. Indian customers are more demanding and cost conscious so it is difficult to work with them. Let me give you an example, this is a global MNC in the corporate food/canteen mgmt. They wanted our help in serialization at their warehouse and we quoted a price with 6 weeks of work. It was far less than what we quote for onsite work. The director came back and said can you do it in 2 weeks for 1/6th of the price and that they will not provide travel/lodging expenses even though we have to travel to their warehouse in Mumbai. I said f'off. And this is not the first incident, there was another one, one of the world's largest liquor manufacturers with HQ in Gurgaon. We started a 6 weeks engagement for supply chain visibility with a set of deliverables defined. The local director kept changing it even after we started the assignment and it took us 10 weeks with expanded scope for the price of 6 weeks. We wanted to get out of it, but because we had a global relationship we couldn't. That's the end of our consultingiri endeavors in desh. Not really worth the effort.
be happy they did not ask you for free!
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

IT outsourcing companies' less than expected results are causing MSM to declare "death of Indian IT sector"
As far I know, guidance was for lower performance, given months ago. Rumour mongers are just using the opportunity to spread FUD.
Variable pay has been victim of the situation in any case.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

^That was not desi MSM, that was an opinion piece in Bloomberg by some guy with Indian name, accompanied with proper Bloomberg disclaimer.

The article made some valid points though mainly the paradigm shift in IT industry and those slow to adapt are paying the price.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Indian IT Industry

Post by Peregrine »

Donald Trump's ban on immigrants from Muslim countries spooks US tech industry

WASHINGTON: The US tech industry, substantially staffed with immigrants, was thrown into a tizzy on Friday after President Donald Trump issued executive orders temporarily barring refugees from seven Muslim-majority countries entering the US, and instituted extreme vetting in the case of Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Saudi Arabia.

Although the move appeared to affect the tech industry only marginally, it was criticised among others by the chief executives of Facebook and Google -- Mark Zuckerberg and Sundar Pichai -- besides many lawmakers and civil liberties activists because of possible wider fall-out.

Google recalled scores of its immigrant staffers from foreign travels who are from countries cited by the Trump administration, amid reports of US-bound passengers being off-loaded from planes in some of the affected countries.
The seven Muslim-majority countries cited by President Trump+ in his executive order that blocks all refugees from entering the US for 120 days are Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen. In Syria's case, the suspension is indefinite.

In television interviews explaining the ban, Trump said travelers from Muslim-majority countries left out of the ban -- Afghanistan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia -- will face what he called "extreme vetting," while dismissing concerns that his actions will inflame tensions in the Muslim world.

"The world is as angry as it gets," the President countered. "What, you think this is going to cause a little more anger?"
While civil libertarians reacted with fury to what was seen as a strike against American ideals of welcoming refugees and immigrants, concern in Silicon Valley centered on the fallout of the executive order on its globalized work-force, particularly if the orders are enforced randomly.

"We're upset about the impact of this order and any proposals that could impose restrictions on Googlers and their families, or that could create barriers to bringing great talent to the US," Google CEO Sundar Pichai, an immigrant from India himself, wrote in a "Get Back to US Now" memo to employees. "It's painful to see the personal cost of this executive order on our colleagues... We've always made our view on immigration issues known publicly and will continue to do so."

According to The Wall Street Journal, at least 187 Google employees who normally live and work in the US have been affected by the ban. "Our first order of business is to help Googlers who are affected," Pichai wrote while recalling employees who are currently abroad and might be at risk. "If you're abroad and need help please reach out to our global security team."

Facebook's Zuckerberg also wrote in a post that that he's "concerned about the impact of the recent executive orders," while recounting that his great grandparents came from Germany, Austria and Poland, and his wife Priscilla's parents were refugees from China and Vietnam.

"The United States is a nation of immigrants, and we should be proud of that..." he noted. "We need to keep this country safe, but we should do that by focusing on people who actually pose a threat ... We should also keep our doors open to refugees and those who need help. That's who we are."

Trump's own paternal grandfather Frederick Trump was an immigrant from Germany, and considering his current wife and first wife were also immigrants, his supporters argue that he's only against illegal immigration, not legal immigration.

But critics contend that he's on a slippery slope laid out by his right-wing advisors, notably Steve Bannon, Trump's chief strategist, who has previously expressed concern about the number of Asian CEOs in the US technology industry.

In a November 5, 2015 interview on "Breitbart News Daily" radio show, Trump actually argued for retaining in the US - talented, high-quality people - who could build businesses and make money.

"When someone is going to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Stanford, all the greats... we throw them out of the country, and they can't get back in," Trump said. "I think that's terrible. We have to be careful of that, Steve. You know, we have to keep our talented people in this country."

"When two-thirds or three-quarters of the CEOs in Silicon Valley are from South Asia or from Asia, I think..." Bannon trailed off in response. He then added: "A country is more than an economy. We're a civic society."

Bannon also warned him that he would always remain to the right of Trump on the issue. "You've got to remember, we're Breitbart. We're the know-nothing Vulgarians," he said. "So we've always got to be to the right of you on this."

Cheers Image
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

KJo wrote:
parikh wrote:The level of IT Munnas is shocking , was interviewing some munnas for a new dhaba in Bengaluru

I've been saying this for years (since 2008 at least) ever since my bad experience with TCS folks who came to PeechaKaro and turned the place upside down with their juvenile harkath.
Many here got mad saying there are many good people which is true. But in the group of 40, I saw only 3-4 good and only 1 was outstanding. The rest were worthless and actually very disruptive and arrogant. I always wondered where the F did the arrogance come from? It's like Ford Aspire pretending to be a Ferrari.

The younger munnas are spoiled because of the ease of getting jobs and promotions. The 'College of Hard Knocks' aka 'life' will teach them and they will come down with their tails between their legs pretty quickly.

One of my wife's colleagues was telling her about one munna in BLR who bought a Beamer with his first salary. Then he found that he had no money for rent so was begging this colleague for money. He asked him about the car and the munna said it was a necessity. :rotfl:
Sorry for posting in its entirety.

This happens when the demand is so much that it absorbs worthless supply.

Happened to me in the 90s. We outsourced to a company in SF. Very good company, but, somewhere along the way the code produced was outrageous. One of my cube mates used to make the trip to ensure connectivity (and quality), but could not track it down. I replaced him about a year into the practice. Took me another month to locate the problem. A music major, masters, from Stanford. Great school, but could not find a job in her field and wound up developing UNIX/C for a financial institution!!!!
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 863748.cms

Incidents like these are distressing- and just a few days ago in New Delhi, a techie died when a speeding car bashed right into her autorik.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Peregrine wrote:The seven Muslim-majority countries cited by President Trump+ in his executive order that blocks all refugees from entering the US for 120 days are Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen. In Syria's case, the suspension is indefinite.
Though Zuckerberg and Sundar pichai has been crying against this move, do they have some sort of numbers to show many IT "professionals" actually come from these countries? Syria, Yemen, Somalia - these countries are not known for bringing out computer geniuses.
NRao wrote:This happens when the demand is so much that it absorbs worthless supply.
+1. And I feel this may cause long term pains for people who are unable to quickly grasp new technologies. In my current firm, "managing" two people who are totally clueless on the jobs which they were recruited to do. One chap comes in for testing, but can't even understand the functionality which he is to test. Another "techie" says he can only precisely work on one single frame work (Java based); preferably till he plans to retire. But luckily there are other go-getters who may not be really sharp, but knows how to get solutions for their problems and then work hard to get it done. These two chaps come in with at least 6-7 years of experience (at least on paper). On the HR side they have been clear on one part from Day 1. "Company encourages people to learn, and explore new areas".
Varoon Shekhar wrote:Incidents like these are distressing- and just a few days ago in New Delhi, a techie died when a speeding car bashed right into her autorik.
This is the second case happening in Pune, in the recent months. There was also a case of stabbing in one of the IT campuses in the city. This issue is also taking an ugly turn now. The girl is from KL, and the father (she lost her mother a couple of years back) is now saying that a few bosses of the girl also was harassing her. Any news of "harassment" gets very heavy traction in Kerala. But at least in this case, it seems to be an open & shut one. The girl was alone in the floor, and I am sure Infosys would be able to track people's movement using the access card swipe details. The police were also prompt in tracking down the suspect using his cell phone. He made his first move to Mumbai CST, and by the time he reached there the Mu.Po was waiting for him.
deWalker
BRFite -Trainee

Post by deWalker »

Regarding H1B Visa Reform in the US: I have a question.

If indeed H1Bs become available only for much higher salaries (This TOI article suggests $130K, which is above the mean income even for California), will this not actually mean that more companies will actually shift employment from US to offshore economies, including India, Philippines, Costa Rica, etc?

My logic is: if a cheaper alternative exists, the market will move in that direction. In the age of high-speed internet, is it really that difficult to "train your replacement" even if they are overseas? One approach would be to sneak the camel into the tent by slowly outsourcing portions of projects to the Indian teams, until they gain familiarity. A similar process played out in IC design and embedded SW - in the beginning, the India Design Centers were primarily working on modules or sections; once they became capable and strong teams, they started working on whole chips and systems.

Certainly there will be jobs that need to be local, either due to customer presence or reaction time or security / confidentiality etc. issues. (Healthcare, Banking / Finance, etc.).
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

^ I think the proposal is to have salaries by region. So say someone in mid-west might be have to be paid only 90k but in bay area it might be 130k. This opens a lot of loopholes which I am sure our enterprising body-shoppers will exploit to the hilt. They can file for h1 at a mid-west location but send people to work elsewhere. There might be more inspections and on-site checks by immigration authority but I'm not sure how many they can do. I think DT would hire another 10k agents for doing inspections, creates more jobs for locals.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

For all the Trump hubla he is not going to cap H1-B visa significantly. Becase he is business friendly. He knows he can order trucks and cars to be made in US but cant to the same with software. US companies need access to cheap munnas. That is their edge.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

amitkv wrote:^ I think the proposal is to have salaries by region. So say someone in mid-west might be have to be paid only 90k but in bay area it might be 130k. This opens a lot of loopholes which I am sure our enterprising body-shoppers will exploit to the hilt. They can file for h1 at a mid-west location but send people to work elsewhere. There might be more inspections and on-site checks by immigration authority but I'm not sure how many they can do. I think DT would hire another 10k agents for doing inspections, creates more jobs for locals.
DT is kinda crazy, these companies might want to be careful. If he catches them going around the system, he is not like Ombaba to giggle and let them pass. He will do whatever he can to kick them out forever. Millions of losses, even billions. He might have a new company blacklist. It's like tax evasion. You dodge and get caught and you go to jail.
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

Software is a virtual entity that lives on cloud/data centers/laptop and can be transported via Internet. All you need is a fast enough Internet connection and reliable power supply, both of which are easy to get in USA. What might eventually happen is that all the cheaper states will be filled with H1B crowd and in 20 years it will change he demographics of these states. Bay area is a good example of this. There is also a good chance of racial tensions rising as the IT worker lives a good life while the massa born local earns minimum wage fixing the puncture in his BMW. DT will NOT increase the minimum wages because it hurts his interest the most. But they will create a nice distraction by spreading xenophobia about the cheap foreign labor, even though they are not really that cheap.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

KJo wrote:
amitkv wrote:^ I think the proposal is to have salaries by region. So say someone in mid-west might be have to be paid only 90k but in bay area it might be 130k. This opens a lot of loopholes which I am sure our enterprising body-shoppers will exploit to the hilt. They can file for h1 at a mid-west location but send people to work elsewhere. There might be more inspections and on-site checks by immigration authority but I'm not sure how many they can do. I think DT would hire another 10k agents for doing inspections, creates more jobs for locals.
DT is kinda crazy, these companies might want to be careful. If he catches them going around the system, he is not like Ombaba to giggle and let them pass. He will do whatever he can to kick them out forever. Millions of losses, even billions. He might have a new company blacklist. It's like tax evasion. You dodge and get caught and you go to jail.
You GOOPERs are hilarious. DT didn't even have the cajones to put KSA and Pakistan on the exclusion list. Can you imagine any GOOPER President do what "Ombaba" did and send the SEALS into Pakistan?

But then the GOOPER definition of bravery is insulting people on Twitter.

Also DT is no position to tell anyone to pay taxes.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

komal wrote:
KJo wrote:
You GOOPERs are hilarious. DT didn't even have the cajones to put KSA and Pakistan on the exclusion list. Can you imagine any GOOPER President do what "Ombaba" did and send the SEALS into Pakistan?

So your logic is because DT didn't put Pak and Saudi on the list, he is a darpok? Do you realize that he is just on Week 2? Judge him after his term or at least after a reasonable time.

What kind of reasoning is "DT cannot tell anyone to pay tax?" :rotfl:
If you believe that, then I suggest you NOT pay your tax in April.
Ab aayega mazaa.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

KJo wrote:
komal wrote:

So your logic is because DT didn't put Pak and Saudi on the list, he is a darpok? Do you realize that he is just on Week 2? Judge him after his term or at least after a reasonable time.

What kind of reasoning is "DT cannot tell anyone to pay tax?" :rotfl:
If you believe that, then I suggest you NOT pay your tax in April.
Ab aayega mazaa.

No he is studying dossiers to see if Pakistan was involved in 9/11 -- the evidence is not clear. After all Pakistan is a victim of terrorism also. But Obamba giggles according to you GOOPERs.

DT pays no tax -- why should he ask anyone else to pay their fair share?

I probably won't pay any tax this year -- and I do it legally. So if I buy a BMW -- I won't be paying any tariff.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

komal wrote:
No he is studying dossiers to see if Pakistan was involved in 9/11 -- the evidence is not clear. After all Pakistan is a victim of terrorism also. But Obamba giggles according to you GOOPERs.

DT pays no tax -- why should he ask anyone else to pay their fair share?

I probably won't pay any tax this year -- and I do it legally. So if I buy a BMW -- I won't be paying any tariff.
Yeah, he's probably doing that. Why don't you ask him on twitter? He will respond for sure. :lol:

Maybe DT pays no tax, I don't know. If he has used the laws to pay no tax, then more power to him. If he broke the law, then he needs a visit from IRS.
Are you doing to test the IRS?

PS: You seem new here so if you want to stick around for long, I recommend that you drop the name-calling like "Gooper". This is the 2nd time I'm seeing this. I will not report you this time but the next time I will. And I am pretty influential with the moderators. :twisted:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Microsoft had 87 employees from the 7 nations out of perhaps 100000

But there is another set of ppl like dual citizen iranian canadian who are more likely to be impacted
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Can we spare at least this thread of DT bad nonsense? He has been elected and is now in office - time for amir khans to deal with it. It's getting really annoying to see the sniping on multiple threads.

@Singha saar, that's right. A lot of Iranians who work in massa have dual citizenship. Some don't want to go back on fear of being conscripted (apparently they have compulsory national service). It the latter category have to travel, it's going to be pretty bad for them.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I think the old regime of occasional catch n release and fines is over . its the raid raj era and anyone violating the provisions like showing a person employes in location A, but putting in location B with a different min wage under new rules (A=midwest , B=nyc) will face a lot of heat. and the employees themselves can expect a lot of scrutiny at entry airports.

anyway time will tell, its too early
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

CNN - is the % figure true?

"Cost was the major advantage for Indian companies, and that will get impacted," said D.D. Mishra, a research director at technology consultancy Gartner.
Mishra estimates that up to 30% of employees working on software projects for Indian firms are overseas. The proportion is much higher for hardware projects, meaning companies would struggle if they faced restrictions on the number of Indians they could employ.
"There is very little room to maneuver...without disrupting the quality of work," he said.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

footage of the huddled desperate masses going to pray in the "visa temple" is being used for psyops now.

lets hope for a future in our lifetimes where 100% indians are not subject to the mercies of foreign govts to lead a decent life...though I suspect a section can do well here too, but for various reasons incl H&D they "need" to go out.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Can we do the most of the jobs from India with all the internet bandwidth we have?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the biggies have been building up in canada, mehico and brazil to offer same time zone services for things that need interaction.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Economic Times today::

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... aign=cppst

In panic mode, US-based Indian professionals hunt for jobs back home
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

I suggest the above to almost everyone I know...find out about valuation of yourself in Indian market. Most people won't do it unless and until the yellow matter hits the fan.