AMCA News and Discussions

JayS
Forum Moderator

Re: AMCA News and Discussions

Post by JayS »

Indranil wrote:It looks like ADA is close to finalization of the external shaping of the AMCA. It has now put out an EOI for 6 qualified men who can take care of the structural design based on the above layout in about 24 months.
I have seen the EOI. And I was little confused. Its looks very similar to the one they put out for Ghatak. I presumed they reissued the same tender. AMCA is way too big for 6 guys to handle. We have close to 30 Structural engg in my office working only on front Wing-spar of two aircrafts, not counting those from overseas office.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ There can be only one conclusion. You guys are inefficient. :P Just kidding. I am confused too. These are projects of national importance!
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Indranil wrote:^^^ There can be only one conclusion. You guys are inefficient. :P Just kidding. I am confused too. These are projects of national importance!
I'm hoping they already have several people (maybe some from the original LCA design team) and this is just to augment the team. If 6 people are going to do the entire structural design of a 5th gen fighter jet it'll take 10 years and even then we might be left with huge problems with the design.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

I also think these 6 could be extra requirement and most probably they will be used for non critical requirements. This is normal in PSUs, I have worked for little time in a defense PSU's design department and every project had 1 or 2 contract engineers for helping the team
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Rakesh wrote:India to make stealth fighter
http://www.asianage.com/science/040117/ ... ghter.html
Sounds good. The IAF can rest easy now. :)
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Rakesh wrote:India to make stealth fighter
http://www.asianage.com/science/040117/ ... ghter.html
Tirupati: With the induction of light combat aircraft (LCA) Tejas into the Indian Air Force this year, the Aeron-autical Development Age-ncy (ADA) which has jointly developed the fourth generation aircraft with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), is now ready to develop the stealth fighter aircraft.

“The concept and feasibility study for the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) has completed and submitted to the government. We are awaiting the government’s approval to develop prototype vehicles (PVs),” P.Ramachandra, director, admin and planning, Aero-nautical Development Agency told this newspaper on the sidelines of the Indian Science Congress.

It is designed to be the 25-tonne class aircraft whereas the Tejas is weighing only about 10 tonnes. It will have the range of 2,800 km.

“The aircraft will have many stealth features for evading radars. The weap-ons and antennas will not be visible from outside. This makes the aircraft heavy and it will have twin-engines,” he said.

This was envisioned as a replacement for the British Jaguar and Mirage 2000 which the IAF flies.

According to defence experts, the stealth fighter would be of great help during the initial days of a major war as it will allow the air force to target enemy’s infrastructure such as roads, railways, airfields, radars, headquarters and depots.

The Aeronautical Development Agency also plans to showcase the model in the upcoming Aero India exhibition.

Indian Air Force ordered 40 Tejas aircraft and 83 LCA Mark-1A aircraft with the HAL. The Air Force also wanted better specifications for LCA Mark-1A like mid-air refuelling and advanced electronic warfare suit.

“We are going to carry out the changes very soon,” he added.

When asked about the prolonged delay in developing the LCA, he pointed out that the aircraft was developed within eight years after it was sanctioned in 1993.

“The combat aircraft can be customised to our requirement which was earlier not possible with the imported planes. More than anything we have saved Rs 50,000 crore for the country as the HAL secured orders for 83 LCA Mark-1A planes,” he said.

The HAL is expected to deliver 10 combat aircraft per year in the initial period and it can be expanded up to 16 aircraft per year.

The LCA’s naval version also is currently undergoing various tests at Shore Based Test Facility at Goa.

Some of the foreign fighter jets which are competing with AMCA are Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, Dassault Rafale, Eurofighter Typhoon, Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon, Mikoyan MiG-35, and Saab JAS 39 Gripen.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

No 1 requirement for the AMCA should be to replace at least half of the IAF fighters, just replacing jaugar/M2000 isn't enough.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Indranil wrote:It looks like ADA is close to finalization of the external shaping of the AMCA. It has now put out an EOI for 6 qualified men who can take care of the structural design based on the above layout in about 24 months.
Can you please provide link to the EOI. One person I know has expressed interest...need to forward EOI copy to him ASAP. I was not able to find EOI details on ADA's website.

Thx
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Zynda wrote:
Can you please provide link to the EOI. One person I know has expressed interest...need to forward EOI copy to him ASAP. I was not able to find EOI details on ADA's website.

Thx
It may be too late but it doesn't hurt to try: https://www.ada.gov.in/currentdocs/EOI-2.pdf

There's a link on the top right of ADA's website which reads "PBQ & EOI". You'll find a hyperlink there to the same document.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Does it actually say "men"? Just curious

PS - just saw the pdf - it says "manpower required"-6 :)

Never mind - but this is a call for people with software package skills. Not being in that sort if business I am discovering that a lot of jobs do not get gone unless we have people with the requisite skills in using sophisticates software packages - like CAD or GIS

Someone correct me if I am wrong but it looks like "CATIA V5 R19", "Hypermesh" and "PATRAN-NASTRAN" seem to be some type of specialized software packages.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

prasannasimha

Post by prasannasimha »

All of these are used for aerospace vehicle design.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Thanks Pratik. I did see that EOI but I was expecting the words AMCA and over looked it. Anyways, looks like the last date for applying is over. Too bad because, the person I know has the required skills set.

Prasannasimha, those software packages are used in industries outside of Aerospace as weii.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Zynda wrote:Thanks Pratik. I did see that EOI but I was expecting the words AMCA and over looked it. Anyways, looks like the last date for applying is over. Too bad because, the person I know has the required skills set.

Prasannasimha, those software packages are used in industries outside of Aerospace as weii.
Ask him to contact them nonetheless. Who knows if they were able to fill all 6 positions. It looks like a specialized skill set that might be quite rare in India.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

shiv wrote:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but it looks like "CATIA V5 R19", "Hypermesh" and "PATRAN-NASTRAN" seem to be some type of specialized software packages.
CATIA - CAD s/w used for 3D modelling here I suppose. As such its very extensive package and has many features spanning entire Product Life Cycle Management including support for manufacturing.

Hypermesh - Meshing s/w. Used for meshing the 3d model made above for structural analysis. Basically break the entire component in millions of tiny small cubes or tetrahedrons.

Patran-Nastran - Finite Element Solver. Solve Solid Mechanics governing equation on each of above tiny elements to get Stress-strain relationship, deformation for given load and so on. Nastran is made by NASA long time back (perhaps 1st of its kind) and its used by almost everyone now.

If they wanted 6 people as individuals they would have literally thousands flocking outside ADA. But they want some contractor company to provide them those 6 people as one package. There lies the rub.
Zynda wrote:Thanks Pratik. I did see that EOI but I was expecting the words AMCA and over looked it. Anyways, looks like the last date for applying is over. Too bad because, the person I know has the required skills set.

Still ask for your friend to give it a try. Last time for Ghatak ADA had extended the tender date.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

JayS, the tender calls out manpower supply similar to Ghatak one as you have pointed it out. 6 folks of experience level 5-7 years supplied by one organization...not individual contributors. The interested person just wanted to try...he is not part of any org. I am really surprised by ADA's thought process. Asking onlee for 5-6 folks! Dunno what difference or significant contribution can be availed by such small number of engineers. I have a feeling that these tenders are more for optics purposes rather than to be of any significance!
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Like I had already posted earlier PSUs in India have the habit of temporary hiring of people. They are over and above the authorised permanent strength of the project. They are called contract engineers, used for mostly auxiliary work to help the team and cannot continue beyond a certain period
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

How come others don't get to these news and only IDRW guys are able to?
Initial requirements for AMCA currently been discussed between ADA and IAF is 115-120 aircraft to replace its current fleet of 60 Mig-29UPG and 50+ Mirage-2000 when they are up for retirement post-2030. IAF is clear that AMCA will replace all Medium class Combat jet in its current fleet but it is still an initial estimate since Indian Airforce also has 120 Jaguar Strike aircraft which all will be gone by 2030, which too requires replacement but Jaguar replacement might also come in the procurement of LCA-Tejas MK2.

http://idrw.org/latest-update-on-amca-n ... ore-123314
The hilarious aspect is they warn you not to cut+paste or link while they do all that. They don't own this public news. AMCA, LCA are from public tax payer money
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

is it really feasible to get the AMCA up and flying with FOC in next 13 years, when these planes will be up for replacement. I had worked in similar situation when everyday we're fighting everyday but missing out the bigger picture...Hope the powers that be are thinking that 13 years will pass just like that and in that we may have a non namo govt
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

SaiK wrote:How come others don't get to these news and only IDRW guys are able to?
Initial requirements for AMCA currently been discussed between ADA and IAF is 115-120 aircraft to replace its current fleet of 60 Mig-29UPG and 50+ Mirage-2000 when they are up for retirement post-2030. IAF is clear that AMCA will replace all Medium class Combat jet in its current fleet but it is still an initial estimate since Indian Airforce also has 120 Jaguar Strike aircraft which all will be gone by 2030, which too requires replacement but Jaguar replacement might also come in the procurement of LCA-Tejas MK2.

http://idrw.org/latest-update-on-amca-n ... ore-123314
The hilarious aspect is they warn you not to cut+paste or link while they do all that. They don't own this public news. AMCA, LCA are from public tax payer money

All IDRW exclusives are just rumours and conjunction cooked up by their team as click baits.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

ranjan.rao wrote:is it really feasible to get the AMCA up and flying with FOC in next 13 years, when these planes will be up for replacement. I had worked in similar situation when everyday we're fighting everyday but missing out the bigger picture...Hope the powers that be are thinking that 13 years will pass just like that and in that we may have a non namo govt
It depends on how you do it, and that depends on how have done it in the past. [example: GTRE]
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Too early for this topic, but, an image from AWST on the UK-Turkey 5th gen effort.

AMCA lookalike.
Chinmay
BRFite

Post by Chinmay »

NRao wrote:Too early for this topic, but, an image from AWST on the UK-Turkey 5th gen effort.

AMCA lookalike.
More like an F-22 lookalike, no?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The AMCA, to me at least, has more "diamond" wings than a F-22. The AMCA is closer to the YF-23, IMHO.

But, it is too early for the AngloTurk 5th gen plane.

What is very interesting is that ALL of these countries (Turkey, UK, SK, Japan) are buying the F-35.

Perhaps India should dump the Grip and F-16 And join the crowd.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

All of them rather not buy the F-35. Most signed up early on not knowing really what they were getting themselves into. That's why there has been a trend to cut down the planes numbers by various countries over time and massive pressure from US lobbyists to stay in the program. Unofficially, none can back out of this program.

Secondly most, except perhaps Turkey, are obligated to support the US and buy US planes regardless of their concerns over performance.

The time for joining the project was back when the work for it's development was being parcelled out. Its well past that stage and not only is there no domestic R&D gain to purchasing this plane, it's end result has not been what was expected.

The next opportunity for buying it is perhaps 10 yrs from now (if it has not been mothballed!) after all problems have been ironed out.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

NRao wrote:The AMCA, to me at least, has more "diamond" wings than a F-22. The AMCA is closer to the YF-23, IMHO.
That is not the final config that they settled on. Th e final config looks very similar to this (and F-22).
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Change in wing design like this?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Yes, search for AMCA 3B-09 configuration. The highest detail of the wing was provided in this years NAL's Director's Report. It is very F-22 like.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Kartik,

I *think* that is an old drawing.

Check this out:

Now stand about in line with the intake AND about twice the width of the wing, away from the intake and from that point look down the trailing edge of the wing. In your picture one would need to be way out.

I think that picture with Parrikar is the latest among all the pictures (including in teh following two posts).

From the pictures I have seen and done the drawing work is what I base my opinion (and it is just that) about the wing being closer to the YF-23 than the F-22.

My feel is that since the AMCA has TVC, they have designed the wing for "speed" and in case of a fist fight rely on the TVC to dance. Again, just my guess. But, based on the picture I am fairly to very confident that teh wing would be more "diamond shaped" than that of a F-22.
Last edited by NRao on 07 Feb 2017 07:43, edited 2 times in total.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

NRao sahab,

The drawings shared by kartik are the latest ones. The model in your picture is of the older 3B-07 configuration.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

!!!
That model in ADA with parikar may be of an older version, which looks like a YF-23. The newer versions look more like having a YF-22 type wing.
Very impressive! Looks like they are close to getting ready for prototype development.
All the lessons from the LCA development will have been incorporated already.

The testing process should be much shorter than that for the LCA. GoI has no shortage of funds for this, unlike in the past.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Another thing.
F-16, Rafale, F-35 type controls. Split on both sides with arm rests.
Big F-35, Su-35 ishtyle screens

Hope they get rid of HUD. Have a virtual transparent cockpit. Everything in the pilot helmet.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Until a few years ago I followed the AMCA rather religious, so my observations could be outdated.

However, found this. Could nto find a date for the "article":
Representations of the fighter changed often in recent years. The twin-engine, stealthy, multirole fighter was first unveiled at the Aero India show in 2009, in the form of a metal wind-tunnel model. At the show in 2011, a reshaped model revealed an F-22-like appearance. India unveiled an updated design for its Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) with a 1:8-scale model of the concept displayed at Aero India 2013 show in Bengaluru, said to be the final configuration and the one with which the program will proceed.

The design the the concept designers put out in 2013 was strongly reminiscent of the Northrop Grumman YF-23 prototype that lost the Advanced Tactical Fighter competition to the Lockheed YF-22 in 1991 in what became the F-22 program. The AMCA's fuselage was stretched, with symmetric trapezoidal wings, notably losing the leading-edge extensions that were once part of the design. The aircraft had an internal weapons bay and fully indigenous stealth technologies now under development, including radar-absorbent paint and composites.
It could have changed after that too.

Added l8r:

OK, did a little digging. They tested the model at CALSPAN ....... in 2015. And, from what little I could discern, that pic with Parrikar, is AFTER the CALSPAN test.

?????
dkhare
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dkhare »

Kartik wrote:Image
Great pictures - thanks for posting them Kartik.

Why is the radar slanted upwards? Is it mounted on a gimbal so that it can be steered mechanically as well? I thought with AESA radars that was not necessary anymore.

The wing actuators for the flaps and ailerons are completely flush, unlike the Tejas - no bumps, no nothing. Nice!
Is there space or plans for an internal laser designation system? I see something that resembles an external LDP in the second picture below the right (starboard) air intake.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Yaa,
They should have IRST, Jammer, LDP all integrated within the airframe onlee
No lumps or bumps, no dangling pods for these please !