India-US relations: News and Discussions III

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions III

Post by Yagnasri »

The US is for more important to Japan than India. Frankly speaking, we need to grow at 7-10% for a decade or so without any let up so that the world really come to us. Yes, there is serious interest in us now. But to convert that interest into action we need to grow and grow on ourselves for a decade at least. No one is going to give us anything and no one is going to help us become a super power.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

India needs to improve her efficiency to absorb whatever growth she generates. I think it was Murthy ( one of them!!) that said that between 1998 and 2004 India had decent GDP growth, but added 60 mil jobs. Between 2004 - 2010 the GDP growth went through the roof, but India added some 10 mil jobs. Inefficiency. (Not to talk of who got all that money between 04-10. At least the 60 mil got what growth was experienced 98-04. But diff story.)

Outsiders will *never* like India to really grow - cannot happen. US, UK, France, Germany, Japan Australia, .......BD, SL, Nepal, ............ of course Pakistan, China ......... and Russia. NO ONE. They will use Indian growth to benefit themselves. Not mutual benefit. Who really wants India in the SC? No one.

The Japanese offer is to appease the current US admin. IF Japan's Abe *really* wanted to shower such gifts he would have done it in the past 4/5 years. Trump grows horns when he is told we-will-grow-jobs-in-the-US. That is precisely what Jack Ma did too. PM May of the UK had nothing to give, so she did not even get a mention - Trump praised Abe as the first foreign visitor, got a trip to Florida for 2 days (Trump is footing the bill, not the GOTUS), etc. Next China - one China policy is already tick marked. Next Ma and Ji have to invest and reboot the trade. That is easy for China - falls right in their lap. With that much trade surplus, heck they could negotiate for anything. What is $10 billion form a chip manufacturer? That is more than what Intel and the other company are investing in the US!!!!
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

NRao wrote:Meanwhile, on jobs to the US, Abe pledged $150 billion, translating to an estimated 70,000 jobs. Areas include high speed trains (in 3 corridors), space!!, AI, robotics, among others.

US-Japan also laid down the framework for negotiating a new trade deal.
That is not surprising at all. Japan is looking at the US mainly as a market for their goods. I think the only important thing they need to import from the US is shale gas and oil. After the nuclear power shutdown, Japan has suddenly become more than 80% dependent on fossil fuels for energy. Cheap long-term energy supply from the US is a gawdsend, and the $150 bn Japanese investments being talked about are quite small in comparison.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

KL Dubey wrote:
NRao wrote:Meanwhile, on jobs to the US, Abe pledged $150 billion, translating to an estimated 70,000 jobs. Areas include high speed trains (in 3 corridors), space!!, AI, robotics, among others.

That is not surprising at all. Japan is looking at the US mainly as a market for their goods. I think the only important thing they need to import from the US is shale gas and oil. After the nuclear power shutdown, Japan has suddenly become more than 80% dependent on fossil fuels for energy. Cheap long-term energy supply from the US is a gawdsend, and the $150 bn Japanese investments being talked about are quite small in comparison.
Well said. All this reminds of articles I see on the CPEC thread about how each day Pakistan seems to announce another $100 billion in investment by China. We are all Pakistan now.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

Shalabh Kumar:

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/tru ... orld-19321

Plus side of things - this fella seems influential and closely connected to both Trumb (name as pronounced in KL only) and NaMo. Could be a useful guy.

Minus - this article makes it look like all he cares about is for India to be a large market for US goods. India is looking for technology transfer and local manufacturing, not just to import American goods. Unless Trumb is prepared for doing business with a "give-and-take" approach, he will get very little from India. As Kumar himself notes, the main things India could need from the US are shale gas and defense technology.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

JooC: Is shale gas imported all the way by supertanker from US West Coast cheaper than gas from Eyeran? Both are by-products of petroleum extraction hain? Seems incredible.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

KL Dubey wrote:

On the contrary, it is surprising - on a number of counts.

* Speed. By providing stats, you are looking at it from an older model. The TTP took eons to negotiate, and Japan, as a part of it could never make the same deal while Obama was in office - because of TTP. AND, people said it would take Trump pretty long time make deals - nope.
* Validation: Of what Trump said, that he could make better, win-win deals, quickly. He has done it with Japan and made good progress with the UK, Canada and perhaps even Mexico
* Alliance: Trump actually said - in his press conference - that the US will back Japan, even on "Japanese administered" territories, without asking Japan to pay more for the alliance. That is a big deal for Japan (and not so for the one-China policy of China, which Trump endorsed too.)
* Jobs: A very, very big deal. Irrespective of the need for Japan to sell their products (point taken). Granted there still are a few hurdles, like a HSR in Texas (yikes), just may not fly. So, the final number of jobs created may not be as large - I expect them to be much smaller, still, it is a something Trump will toot his horn. And, rightly so

*Hug: A germophobe, Trump is reluctant to even shake hands. A hug is out of this world. He actually mentioned the hug in a different context, nonetheless, it was a deal

I have said this before in this thread, analysts need to discard their old thoughts and reboot.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Dunno if this was posted before:

Review of TSP policy by US.

http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/us-army- ... an-1657908
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

NRao wrote:
KL Dubey wrote:
So, the final number of jobs created may not be as large - I expect them to be much smaller, still, it is a something Trump will toot his horn. And, rightly so

I have said this before in this thread, analysts need to discard their old thoughts and reboot.
Importing technology from Japan to create a few thousand jobs???? American companies are incapable of building HSR? American companies can't do AI? American companies can't do robotics? The USA != TSP

Isn't it better to have American companies hire a few thousand H1-Bs in these fields and to create a hundred thousand jobs? And have the profits stay in the USA and not re-patriated to Japan?

The USA fought a Civil War to raise tariffs on imported goods/technology and build domestic industry.

But then North is South. War is Peace. We have always wanted an economy dependent on foreign technology. This shows the sheer of genius of our Great President.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

komal wrote:
NRao wrote:
Importing technology from Japan to create a few thousand jobs???? American companies are incapable of building HSR? American companies can't do AI? American companies can't do robotics? The USA != TSP

Isn't it better to have American companies hire a few thousand H1-Bs in these fields and to create a hundred thousand jobs? And have the profits stay in the USA and not re-patriated to Japan?

The USA fought a Civil War to raise tariffs on imported goods/technology and build domestic industry.

But then North is South. War is Peace. We have always wanted an economy dependent on foreign technology. This shows the sheer of genius of our Great President.
I will address some of the individual points later.

Meanwhile, all that makes sense in the legacy model - multilateral trade deals. Not in a bilateral model.

The new model has two aspects to it: bilateral trade deals and Trumps vision of local employment. Fit everything you want to say in that model and you will be fine.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

NRao wrote:
komal wrote:

Meanwhile, all that makes sense in the legacy model - multilateral trade deals. Not in a bilateral model.

The new model has two aspects to it: bilateral trade deals and Trumps vision of local employment. Fit everything you want to say in that model and you will be fine.
This isn't a trade deal -- the is a CPEC type foreign investment deal. And the Japanese involvement stunts USA internal development.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

komal wrote: Importing technology from Japan to create a few thousand jobs???? American companies are incapable of building HSR? American companies can't do AI? American companies can't do robotics? The USA != TSP
* Bilateral trade deals are not actually importing. What Japan, in this instance, is saying is this is what we have to offer and these are the estimates we have (like 70K jobs). What do you have? This is trade. It is the first offer that Japan has placed on the table. Now the higgle haggling starts.

In multilateral trade it is at a much higher level - IP, tariffs, infrastructure, etc - among a group of parties. They do not care too much about what is traded - that is the area of individual companies/entities.

On AI, HSR, etc. Yes, Japan is a leader ................... since the 80s. Especially in AI application in consumer goods. HSR, debatable, but they do have top notch techs to offer. Another area where they are excellent is automation - many Indians who studied in Japan in the 70-80s dominate the American scene.
* Again "trade". IF done properly -as Trump has always said, there should be no imbalance. "re-patriated" will nto exist - except in rare cases, because teh trade deals will ensure it is a zero sum game (which is what Trump has been grumbling about).

* No H-1B in most scenarios. Local employees.

And, I have posted this before, it is good.

Also, the US companies have moved away from investing in local universities/student. I hope/think that will return. US universities need that infusion more than anything else. These students are the future of this nation and the companies need to invest here first. They can get teh few brains from abroad via the normal process. Too many here of lost jobs for no ryme or reason other than stuffing the bottom line.

No idea what that means.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

komal wrote:
NRao wrote:

This isn't a trade deal -- the is a CPEC type foreign investment deal. And the Japanese involvement stunts USA internal development.

To an extent you are right.

It is the START of a trade deal. Japan made the first move. The US has yet to respond. It should take a while to nail down a deal.

BTW, China does not deal. With anyone. Just ask India.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

BTW, ................. we seem to have lost "India" in the bargain.

I happen to think Trump and Modi will make a good trading duo. Perhaps not great buddies like Modi and Obama or Abe. As long as Trump opens certain (tech) purses India should do very well in this new Trump era.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

NRao wrote:

And, I have posted this before, it is good

Also, the US companies have moved away from investing in local universities/student. I hope/think that will return. US universities need that infusion more than anything else. These students are the future of this nation and the companies need to invest here first. They can get teh few brains from abroad via the normal process. Too many here of lost jobs for no ryme or reason other than stuffing the bottom line.
What hypocracy.

On every point you have been writing posts why your country India should buy only and only US weapons for its own good.

And now suddenly the mask is off? Bhad mein jaaye India my nation usa needs to prevent these browns from coming over....
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Manish_Sharma wrote:
NRao wrote:

And, I have posted this before, it is good

What hypocracy.

On every point you have been writing posts why your country India should buy only and only US weapons for its own good.

And now suddenly the mask is off? Bhad mein jaaye India my nation usa needs to prevent these browns from coming over....
I recently removed you from my ignore list.

I AM a brown who came over. Others are no diff. The issue is not about US/India. It is about employment. I have faced 30% unemployment because of off-shoring and cheaper labor. And there are plenty of NRI that face this problem. Luckily I am at the tail end. Younger folks do face a greate deal of hardships. It is not about nation either. Neither about India nor the US. Itis about individuals. Solve the problem of individuals. Forget GDPs, etc.
Last edited by NRao on 12 Feb 2017 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

UlanBatori wrote:JooC: Is shale gas imported all the way by supertanker from US West Coast cheaper than gas from Eyeran? Both are by-products of petroleum extraction hain? Seems incredible.
I think it is more complicated. I have not kept track of the price differentials, but even a slightly higher price of American LNG may not deter buyers who want to lower risks associated with energy supplies from the middle east. Iran could be sanctioned again anytime.

The composition of LNGs also is different (C2 and other hydrocarbon content) - and different types of terminal facilities can profitably handle these. E.g., LNGs that are high in ethane and propane could be used as cheap feedstocks for production of ethylene and propylene by dehydrogenation or steam cracking, instead of using the more expensive naphtha feedstock obtained from crude oil.

IIRC, India was one of the first Asian customers for US shale gas. We are already using it - and contracts have already been signed for several million tons/yr of US shale gas to be supplied over the next decade at least. The US is even supplying LNG to countries like UAE and Kuwait....!
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

Not an expert in the industry but some questions arise:

1) Won't Sundaram Clayton need L-1, H-1 from their existing operations so the developmen and operations of the company are consisted or is S-C expected to hire only native SC.

2) Aren't there American companies with existing factories that already (or can) supply automakers (surely this can't be a high tech field with huge barriers to entry --- but I don't know). Won't these American factories now be at risk to the S-C plant.

3) Won't S-C repatriate the profits back to India?

4) As an aside, S-C should be adivsed to state that it was only because of the Donald are they locating this factory in South Carolina. And that they hope to employ 35,000 people over the next 20 years.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

NRao wrote:

* Again "trade". IF done properly -as Trump has always said, there should be no imbalance. "re-patriated" will nto exist - except in rare cases, because teh trade deals will ensure it is a zero sum game (which is what Trump has been grumbling about).

And, I have posted this before, it is good.
Rao-ji, US pays for its imports with $$$. This isn't the same as India or the Congo importing flashy goods and have to pay with precious foreign exchange. And China/Japan take a substantial portion the $$$ they get paid and by the U. S. Treasury securities that enable the good, white people of Alabama fed and clothed.

No idea what that means.
Let me try to explain. Having Japanese, Koreans, Indians open factories in USA means that the technology remains the property of overseas investors. The USA just provides cheap labor.

In the 19th Century the USA had enlightened leadership that did not believe in a Christian theocracy, civil rights for all, etc and that domestic industry should be encouraged.

Lincoln did not want the English to set up steel plants in Pennsylvania. He wanted Americans (be they immigrants) to set up those plants. And he provided for nearly free college education for the lower classes to fill the high tech needs of those factories -- instead of the British filling those jobs.

Such protectionism doesn't always work -- witness India under Nehru -- but has worked -- witness Korea (which had laws that prevented they type of investment being lusted after by the Donald)

By contrast, the Donald would turn over whole industries such as HSR, AI and robotics to foreigners while getting promises of "50,000" jobs and a photo-op.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

Rao-ji, US pays for its imports with $$$. This isn't the same as India or the Congo importing flashy goods and have to pay with precious foreign exchange. And China/Japan take a substantial portion the $$$ they get paid and by the U. S. Treasury securities that enable the good, white people of Alabama fed and clothed.
if you think dollars are not precious then have your currency set up as a reserve currency.

you should try it if you think it is easy.

dollars represent the American economy, which is highly innovative, adapatable, and certainly one of the most creative, open economies in the world.

in short, demand something else as payment if you don't like dollars.
TKiran
BRFite

Post by TKiran »

^^^komal ji, super, the super power wants Japan, China and India to invest and provide employment to Japanese, Chinese and Indians migrated to Massa, no more free lunch for these immigrants, bring in the black money from India and start your own business and provide employment to your own diaspora. I think the andhras have already started that trend, in service sector for the last 2years, and the Chinese are taking over what ever is available for sale. Talk of black money, it has its own advantages.....
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

TSJones wrote:
if you think dollars are not precious then have your currency set up as a reserve currency.

you should try it if you think it is easy.

dollars represent the American economy, which is highly innovative, adapatable, and certainly one of the most creative, open economies in the world.

in short, demand something else as payment if you don't like dollars.
I am saying the role of a reserve currency immensely benefits the American public. It is the Trumpsters with their fascination with factory jobs that is imperiling that role.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

TKiran wrote:^^^komal ji, super, the super power wants Japan, China and India to invest and provide employment to Japanese, Chinese and Indians migrated to Massa, no more free lunch for these immigrants, bring in the black money from India and start your own business and provide employment to your own diaspora. I think the andhras have already started that trend, in service sector for the last 2years, and the Chinese are taking over what ever is available for sale. Talk of black money, it has its own advantages.....
TKiran-ji

What free lunch? The Indians I know work 15-18 hours a day, seven days a week. Whether it is at the local Subway/Dunkin' Donuts or the software development desk at the capital markets group for To Big Too Fail Bank.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

I am saying the role of a reserve currency immensely benefits the American public. It is the Trumpsters with their fascination with factory jobs that is imperiling that role.
factory jobs represents the failure of developed economies to spread wealth to its citizens who are susceptible to the vagaries of economic displacement. it doesn't have to be factory jobs, it could be as nrao has pointed out, IT jobs.

and also as one ages and gains experience, employers are hesitant to hire highly experienced personnel at reduced wages and benefits to match global competition.

its not just the US either. europe has a lot of unemployable males 50 years old and older.

I have pondered greatly as to what it means to be a citizen of a country. does it mean no particular advantage in the country of one's citizenship? does it mean that being a citizen of xyz country gives no distinction globally? does it mean that in my country I have no more financial security rights in my country than your average bangladeshi on a global scale? serious question.....

if this is the case then does the country of my citizenship really expect my children and their children to fight its wars? why should they? or any other country for that matter. go get the bangladeshis to fight for the country. see how well that works out....
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

TSJones wrote:
factory jobs represents the failure of developed economies to spread wealth to its citizens who are susceptible to the vagaries of economic displacement. it doesn't have to be factory jobs, it could be as nrao has pointed out, IT jobs.

and also as one ages and gains experience, employers are hesitant to hire highly experienced personnel at reduced wages and benefits to match global competition.

its not just the US either. europe has a lot of unemployable males 50 years old and older.

I have pondered greatly as to what it means to be a citizen of a country. does it mean no particular advantage in the country of one's citizenship? does it mean that being a citizen of xyz country gives no distinction globally? does it mean that in my country I have no more financial security rights in my country than your average bangladeshi on a global scale? serious question.....

if this is the case then does the country of my citizenship really expect my children and their children to fight its wars? why should they? or any other country for that matter. go get the bangladeshis to fight for the country. see how well that works out....
The motto of the Republican Party has been that you are only guaranteed the right to compete in the economy. There are no guarantees for wages, employment, health insurance, etc. For example, the GOP has long opposed minimum wages or even the right to form unions.

So, the in the platform of the party that controls the USA, citizenship only guarantees you the right too look for a job -- you are not guaranteed anything (even basic health care).
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Thread moving too fast for this old man.
komal wrote:
Not an expert in the industry but some questions arise:

1) Won't Sundaram Clayton need L-1, H-1 from their existing operations so the developmen and operations of the company are consisted or is S-C expected to hire only native SC.
This proposal is still under the current plan, so I would think/expect any number of L-1/H-1B would be allowed (within the constraints of the current plan).

The Trump plan will be rolled out when Modi visits, later this year? Heck he has not even replaced the Amby in India. Too slow for me.

However,
komal wrote:
US pays for its imports with $$$. This isn't the same as India or the Congo importing flashy goods and have to pay with precious foreign exchange. And China/Japan take a substantial portion the $$$ they get paid and by the U. S. Treasury securities that enable the good, white people of Alabama fed and clothed.
I think you are talking economics and I am talking trade. ?????

I do NOT have any issues with what you are saying. BUT, what Trump has said (and we have to wait to find out what he will do - two diff things) has nothing to do with securities, etc, although it does impact them. I did not vote for Trump, but he is my President and I need to give him a chance - even if I do not accept what he says/does. I will wait till his team is in place and WRT India an Amby.

Let me try to explain. Having Japanese, Koreans, Indians open factories in USA means that the technology remains the property of overseas investors. The USA just provides cheap labor.

By contrast, the Donald would turn over whole industries such as HSR, AI and robotics to foreigners while getting promises of "50,000" jobs and a photo-op.
Again, either all this falls under the old model of trade or economics (IMHO) and as such I have no quarrel with any of what you say.

More on that later (have to run). But I will post abotu trade and its impact on socio-economics. They are dependent on each other, but are two separate areas of study.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

komal wrote:
TSJones wrote:

The motto of the Republican Party has been that you are only guaranteed the right to compete in the economy. There are no guarantees for wages, employment, health insurance, etc. For example, the GOP has long opposed minimum wages or even the right to form unions.

So, the in the platform of the party that controls the USA, citizenship only guarantees you the right too look for a job -- you are not guaranteed anything (even basic health care).
trump has upset the traditional rethuglican platform. his advisors certainly don't fit that mold.....bannon.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

TSJones wrote:
komal wrote:

trump has upset the traditional rethuglican platform. his advisors certainly don't fit that mold.....bannon.
I think they do. I don't see minimum wage legislation high on their list of priorities. And I don't see them supporting universal health care. Their motto is if you get sick and don't have insurance then you die. That is how Darwinian societies work.

Both Clinton and Obama in their first terms tried to create infrastructure spending programs that would have created millions of factory jobs. We are supposed to forget all that.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

TSJones wrote: trump has upset the traditional rethuglican platform. his advisors certainly don't fit that mold.....bannon.
Bannon belongs to the ultra right otherwise euphemistically labeled as alt-right, that makes him a hardcore republican.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

This past week has been tremendous lucky week, Fridin gora VPs signed and bought on new buildings toscale up sites in Canada, everyone was happy they get to travel regular basis to scenic places and do lots a stuff, primary vendor who has big number of H1s would be moving staff to their unit in that country instead of Bengaluru . Desi's congratulated us and treated uslower management as gods for protecting their livelihood and how will they not have to work knights and they get benefit of transferring to l1 in some time.Canadian hill station will have growth spurt this summer. All is well,win win for all.

Capatalism works in amazing ways to make more money, I truly love it. Combine it with we will have LCA with Kaveri in next aero India, aridhaman, nirbhay test in three months. Can't wait to see one vishal with rafale-m with E2d in near future.
kiranA
BRFite

Post by kiranA »

TSJones wrote:

Did you ponder similarly about african americans ? for decades they slaved on the land, fought wars on behalf of usa, toiled in factories, nursed your children - and what do they have to show for it apart from being beaten and raped at will for decades ? They are at the bottom of every demographic indicator. And as late as 80s every republican presidential candidate mocked them as part of electoral debate ("Welfate queen")
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

krishna_krishna wrote:This past week has been tremendous lucky week, Fridin gora VPs signed and bought on new buildings toscale up sites in Canada, everyone was happy they get to travel regular basis to scenic places and do lots a stuff, primary vendor who has big number of H1s would be moving staff to their unit in that country instead of Bengaluru . Desi's congratulated us and treated uslower management as gods for protecting their livelihood and how will they not have to work knights and they get benefit of transferring to l1 in some time.Canadian hill station will have growth spurt this summer. All is well,win win for all.

Capatalism works in amazing ways to make more money, I truly love it. Combine it with we will have LCA with Kaveri in next aero India, aridhaman, nirbhay test in three months. Can't wait to see one vishal with rafale-m with E2d in near future.

chanceller palpatine : things are going as I had predicted...

gora cxo class will give up their fat bonuses based on margins shown to wall street over their cold dead bodies. they will do whatever it takes to compensate for entry level input cost increase due to h1b issue including gouging the salaries of mid level or offshoring to madagascar and mali if it gets the work done and preserves their cash flow.

the usa/uk pay philosophy rules in the itvity & global finance in that CxO types make massively more than the regular troops. sikka sir has taken advantage of this 'norm' and said infy must pay hugely to attract and retain 'global managers' (incl some of his chelas) :mrgreen:
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Can we keep this thread to discussing India AND US related issues and not just USA. There is a separate thread for that.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

Did you ponder similarly about african americans ?
no, generally when I think of them it's that I don't want to be robbed, beaten or murdered. also, I don't want to give money to them on street corners.

I've had some close calls late night in grocery stores etc. one was a serious robbery. another was on a street corner when I refused to give him money for his begging. he got angry when I ignored him.

also, a lot of the young males carry guns in their cars so I am always careful not to honk at them if they cut me off in traffic, etc. thus I try to drive passively in heavy traffic.

so, when I think of them, its defensively.

I try to role model myself after Charles Goodnight, the greatest cowboy who ever lived. he established the cattle trail from ft worth dallas to fort sumner new mexico through commanche territory. he never carried a gun. he never had to, he was damn smart and knew the commanches' habits.

the movie The Searchers and the tv show Lonesome Dove were written about his exploits.

not safe for work!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evADpo4aqXQ
Last edited by TSJones on 13 Feb 2017 11:47, edited 2 times in total.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Singha wrote:
krishna_krishna wrote:This past week has been tremendous lucky week, Fridin gora VPs signed and bought on new buildings toscale up sites in Canada, .................. more money, I truly love it. Combine it with we will have LCA with Kaveri in next aero India, aridhaman, nirbhay test in three months. Can't wait to see one vishal with rafale-m with E2d in near future.

chanceller palpatine : things are going as I had predicted...

gora cxo class will give up their fat bonuses based on margins shown to wall street over their cold dead bodies. they will do whatever it takes to compensate for entry level input cost increase due to h1b issue including gouging the salaries of mid level or offshoring to madagascar and mali if it gets the work done and preserves their cash flow.

the usa/uk pay philosophy rules in the itvity & global finance in that CxO types make massively more than the regular troops. sikka sir has taken advantage of this 'norm' and said infy must pay hugely to attract and retain 'global managers' (incl some of his chelas) :mrgreen:
* true. All such moves (moving to Canada) are meant only for way-higher ups to retain their million dollars band. The rest will slave, including the $20-30 billion a year that some nations make.

* however, the Canadian PM visits Washington today. The PM has already send his men to talk with Kushner (a real estate billionaire) and Bannon (a right wing radio guy and a confused ex naval hand). :rotfl: . And Canadians want their PM not to be as giving as the British PM and not as argumentative as the Australian PM. :lol: (Check the papers across the border). And at the end of the day a hippy PM is expected to make sense that the current trade is a good thing to a maniac President.

Dunno. Canada inviting any H-1B to move across the border, I would think, is plain asking for trouble. Bannon will never forgive Canadians for that. Bannon, if you are not following, has already unloaded on their PM. Trump will follow. This could get nasty in a hurry. Moving jobs across the border is not a good long term strategy.

Just my thoughts.

And sorry for the emoticons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com ... oid-att-us

Canadian rating could take a hit:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... BpWvuyx4-g
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

BTW, the norm has been that the US President visits Canada. This is the first time this has been reversed.

And clearly the Canadians are nervous.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

NRao wrote:BTW, ................. we seem to have lost "India" in the bargain.

I happen to think Trump and Modi will make a good trading duo. Perhaps not great buddies like Modi and Obama or Abe. As long as Trump opens certain (tech) purses India should do very well in this new Trump era.

obama wanted and got more tangibles from India than Modi did from him.

The rest was merely optics.

Even others, using obama, exploited the relationship to extract concessions from India, like during the paris climate change talks.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

even the floating h1b cruise liner is a non-starter incl mental trouble from such a long time at sea, and USCG harassing them with VBSS teams on some technicalities. its probably just better to base them in mehico on land. atleast the mehicans can say you built the wall so we captured your h1b base.

end game is there is only so many hoops the industry can jump through to serve others needs.

its best the indian market grow 10x and soak up these efforts.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

chetak wrote:
NRao wrote:BTW, ................. we seem to have lost "India" in the bargain.

obama wanted and got more tangibles from India than Modi did from him.

The rest was merely optics.

Even others, using obama, exploited the relationship to extract concessions from India, like during the paris climate change talks.
On climate change I do not agree. India has gone - pretty much - beyond and I think that will be good for India in the longer run. People tend to look at everything in terms of dollars and in the process neglect certain aspects.

On the rest, India is in a diff situation. When a million people need jobs every month there is not much one can push the other to do. Which is why India, despite all her positives, has no voice even within BRICS.

But, let us see what happens. So far I am not impressed with Trump on India.