Indian Military Helicopters

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Military Helicopters

Post by Neela »

Indranil wrote:Looks like it is going to be twin engined. Visitors should find out about the engine, and whether the landing gear is going to be retractable.
The ALH,LCH and LUH would need upwards of maybe a few thousand engines over the their lifespans.
Given Safran's hold on ALH,LCH and LUH , was curious to see if they had any plans for the IMRH.
All Ardidens are equipped with the latest-generation, dual-channel Full Authority Digital Engine Control (FADEC). The Ardiden family is divided into two groups: the Ardiden 1, which offers 1,400 shp with growth potential to 1,700 shp, and the Ardiden 3 (in development), covering 1,700 to 2,000 shp.
Two other engines in the 1700-2000shp category
Rolls Royce Turbomeca RT333
Pratt and Whitney PT6C/PT6T
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

2,000 shp will not cut it. A helicopter of this class would require two engines of ~2700 shp each.

Meanwhile
Maun Pubby: The light utility helicopter (LUH) is in high demand. How have recent flight trials been?
TS Raju: LUH will be flying at Aero India show in Bangalore as part of our rotary wing formation. The chopper is flying well and we reached a speed of 200 km/h. If the pace is continued, we’re confident of getting the basic platform clearance for the chopper by the end of 2017. It is a very aggressive plan but we are confident.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Manish_P wrote:
Cybaru wrote:Threesome!
Beautiful.

Any chance of a hi-res version ?
8) ..wow ..just so cool !!
Venu
BRFite

Post by Venu »

Neela wrote:LUH at Aero India 2017 in desert camo.

Original specs for the LUH indicated two-blade tail rotor. Prototype has 4 blades.
This is a beauty!
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Original specs for the LUH indicated two-blade tail rotor. Prototype has 4 blades.
What a beautiful bird! the IMRH too is a beauty to look at! well done HAL Helicopter Division!
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

The final (?) version of LCH in the three ship picture above looks amazing. We can see the side glass panels have been refined as has been the placement of EO ball. Now hoping to see HELINA get qualifed quickly on the type.

Can't wait to see it in IA/IAF colors. With WSI Dhruv, what an absolute game changer it is going to be.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

The two blade tail rotor was dropped quite a few years back.

Against all my expectations, this camo looks really good on LUH.

I have only one small peev with this cute bird. I "find" the endplates on its horizontal stabilizer quite large. May be it will become smaller as the flight testing progresses and the helicopter is found to be stable enough. This did happen on LCH where the endplates were deemed redundant and completely done away with. Alternatively, a T config may be explored. If required, the current tail skid can be replaced with an extended tail fin with a much smaller tail skid jutting out. Kind of like in the MD500s.

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

rohitvats wrote:The final (?) version of LCH in the three ship picture above looks amazing. We can see the side glass panels have been refined as has been the placement of EO ball.
The EO ball placement remains the same for all four prototypes. The later prototypes added a fairing behind the ball to reduce drag. The nose of the later prototypes have also been made smaller for better vibration characteristics.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

I guess I mentioned this last year also, the LUH looks very similar to Kazan Ansat helicopter.
Another Image : http://www.helicopter-database.de/ADP/M ... llow_1.jpg
ragupta
BRFite

Post by ragupta »

HAL should not wait for armed forces to provide and delay due to specification changes, they should get this product ready based on what they can achieve based on the past specification that armed forces have been looking for in helicopter of this class. If the product is good, there will be sufficient buyers, this listening and working with Indian armed forces need must not delay this product.
ragupta
BRFite

Post by ragupta »

Indranil wrote:

The two blade tail rotor was dropped quite a few years back.

Against all my expectations, this camo looks really good on LUH.

I have only one small peev with this cute bird. I "find" the endplates on its horizontal stabilizer quite large. May be it will become smaller as the flight testing progresses and the helicopter is found to be stable enough. This did happen on LCH where the endplates were deemed redundant and completely done away with. Alternatively, a T config may be explored. If required, the current tail skid can be replaced with an extended tail fin with a much smaller tail skid jutting out. Kind of like in the MD500s.

When you are trying to get entry in the category and it is your first product, it is ok to be over engineered. As long as it meets the need well, efficiency and asthetic can wait for mark 2.
rohiths
BRFite

Post by rohiths »

HAL doing great work on helicopters. 3 world class helicopters at great price.LCH is a beauty
Army should buy in several hundreds. It will be very helpful for mountain warfare and against Pakis
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Avinandan wrote:I guess I mentioned this last year also, the LUH looks very similar to Kazan Ansat helicopter.
There are so many differences that distinguish the two. Both look like helicopters, I'll admit.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the kazan ansat heli looks like a ripoff of the dhruv design
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

shiv wrote:
Avinandan wrote:I guess I mentioned this last year also, the LUH looks very similar to Kazan Ansat helicopter.
There are so many differences that distinguish the two. Both look like helicopters, I'll admit.
Ironically Kazan even proposed a light attack helicopter based on Ansat 8 years ago.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

This one is 2nd prototype of LUH. Can someone confirm please.

The tail number of this LUH is 4530 but the first prototype had the tail number 4520 (also a different camo).

Source - DFI
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ragupta wrote:HAL should not wait for armed forces to provide and delay due to specification changes, they should get this product ready based on what they can achieve based on the past specification that armed forces have been looking for in helicopter of this class. If the product is good, there will be sufficient buyers, this listening and working with Indian armed forces need must not delay this product.
LUH is one project where we don't have to worry about orders or changing specs and all. Its meant to be a success.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

JayS wrote:
LUH is one project where we don't have to worry about orders or changing specs and all. Its meant to be a success.
If they want to change, how will they change? They can't go down? If they go up ALH is gonna catch that! Its well bounded! :)
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Kudos to HAL RWR&DC for its ALH -> Rudra -> LCH -> LUH journey. Lessons learnt on the way lessened development time for each new iteration.

Good thing is HAL is now the Ka-226 production partner as per October 2016 agreement displacing ADAG.

No price has been agreed, so Ka-226 is a long way off. It will serve as a Damocles sword to expedite LUH development, testing and production.

I eagerly look forward for folding rotor versions of Dhruv & LUH.

Once MRH is developed, HAL will be equal among giants like Lockheed-Sikorsky, Bell & Airbus.
Khalsa wrote:May my lord cast the HTT40 spell on this bird of beauty too.
Kindly request the Lord for casting the LCH spell :) HTT-40 will have a conservative & time consuming testing schedule at HAL given the HJT-36 impasse. LCH moved faster because of Rudra experience and I hope the commonality with Dhruv expedites LUH testing.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

tsarkar wrote: Kindly request the Lord for casting the LCH spell :) HTT-40 will have a conservative & time consuming testing schedule at HAL given the HJT-36 impasse. LCH moved faster because of Rudra experience and I hope the commonality with Dhruv expedites LUH testing.
Hopefully not. They are planning to clear spin/stall tests much earlier in the program, by second half of 2017 IIRC. Once that is done it should sail through the rest certification.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Light conditions have such a vivid effect on that LUH camouflage.

Photo credit: Livefist
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

JayS wrote:They are planning to clear spin/stall tests much earlier in the program, by second half of 2017 IIRC. Once that is done it should sail through the rest certification.
I would be very happy if that happens. Is there a second prototype flying?
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

HAL had the best paint shop in the business. Every machine had an exquisite design and detail for the past 10 years at least
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

tsarkar wrote:Kudos to HAL RWR&DC for its ALH -> Rudra -> LCH -> LUH journey. Lessons learnt on the way lessened development time for each new iteration.

Good thing is HAL is now the Ka-226 production partner as per October 2016 agreement displacing ADAG.

No price has been agreed, so Ka-226 is a long way off. It will serve as a Damocles sword to expedite LUH development, testing and production.

I eagerly look forward for folding rotor versions of Dhruv & LUH.

Once MRH is developed, HAL will be equal among giants like Lockheed-Sikorsky, Bell & Airbus.
Khalsa wrote:May my lord cast the HTT40 spell on this bird of beauty too.
Kindly request the Lord for casting the LCH spell :) HTT-40 will have a conservative & time consuming testing schedule at HAL given the HJT-36 impasse. LCH moved faster because of Rudra experience and I hope the commonality with Dhruv expedites LUH testing.
Spell altered
Lord notes good background reasoning presented by tsarkar.
:-)
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

tsarkar wrote:
JayS wrote:They are planning to clear spin/stall tests much earlier in the program, by second half of 2017 IIRC. Once that is done it should sail through the rest certification.
I would be very happy if that happens. Is there a second prototype flying?
TSR002 is on Static display in this AI. It should be flying soon enough. I think Third and last one will be the optimized and production standard prototype.
Neilz
BRFite

Post by Neilz »

It was discussed here about converting existing Chetak into unmanned vehicles.
Well looks like the plan is indeed is part of serious consideration....

From the detritus of the failed IAI-HAL naval rotory UAV (NRUAV) rises a valiant attempt to do what Israel couldn’t. Livefist reports for the first time that DRDO’s Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) has unveiled its R-UAV, which will unman the Chetak helicopter platform for multi-service use. Frankly, we can’t wait to see where this goes.

ref::
http://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/02/ ... day-1.html
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

DPR @SpokespersonMoD
The first ever public display by #HAL Light Utility Helicopter #LUH during #AeroIndia2017 inaugural at #yelahanka #Bengaluru
sankum
BRFite

Post by sankum »

abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

JayS wrote:
ragupta wrote:HAL should not wait for armed forces to provide and delay due to specification changes, they should get this product ready based on what they can achieve based on the past specification that armed forces have been looking for in helicopter of this class. If the product is good, there will be sufficient buyers, this listening and working with Indian armed forces need must not delay this product.
IN has put out a RFP(?) for twin engine light helo. So LUH is out of the reckoning.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

So they brought to LUH to Aero India 2017!

One (desert camo) for static display and one (green camo) for flying displays. 8)
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

The above 3 paint schemes for LCH, what do they stand for? IAF, IA and SF for black?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

ShauryaT wrote:The above 3 paint schemes for LCH, what do they stand for? IAF, IA and SF for black?
No, they just used a different paint scheme for each prototype. The black one is the first one and the gray one the last. I fully expect IAF to go with the usual Tipnis gray rather than the camo. Only the M2k seems to get a pass on that in the IAF for some reason. All others have to be satisfied with Tipnis gray. :|
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

that flying LUH what a beauty
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

nachiket wrote:
ShauryaT wrote:The above 3 paint schemes for LCH, what do they stand for? IAF, IA and SF for black?
No, they just used a different paint scheme for each prototype. The black one is the first one and the gray one the last. I fully expect IAF to go with the usual Tipnis gray rather than the camo. Only the M2k seems to get a pass on that in the IAF for some reason. All others have to be satisfied with Tipnis gray. :|
The last one (TD-4) is not there in this pic. It is black in colour.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

>>The LCH has been designed to operate at 10,000-12,000ft with an armaments load on its weapon stub wing/armament boom.

I thought one of the advantages of the LCH was its ability to operate at higher altitudes. Operate has to mean with meaningful payloads. There seems to be huge gap between what the specifications of the chopper says and its operational capabilities. What am I missing? If the above is true, we will still lack an "operational" gunship at high altitudes.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

deejay wrote: I hear again that IA is buying 200 Netra systems at INR 800,000.00 a piece.
:D Discovered yesterday that the IAF got just ONE Netra for way more than that.. just sayin
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Can you all post all the stuff you are learning that is open source in the AI thread?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Why are we buying 200 ka226 with luh flying?
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Singha wrote:Why are we buying 200 ka226 with luh flying?
Requirement was for 400 helis in this class.
The order was split between Ka-226 and LUH with 200 each.