Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Post by Yagnasri »

PIL is an overkill and not needed. File FIR with the police. Arrest the lady reporter who did this report along with the website owners/editors etc. for aiding and abetting suicide. Shut down the site immediately. MoIn has the power for that. Why not do it.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Yagnasri wrote:PIL is an overkill and not needed. File FIR with the police. Arrest the lady reporter who did this report along with the website owners/editors etc. for aiding and abetting suicide. Shut down the site immediately. MoIn has the power for that. Why not do it.

It's an offense under the OSA for persons to carry a camera into a military installation
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Yes. Then prosecute them for that by filing a FIR or any other process that law provides. PIL has no legal basis other than being 5 star judges creation. SC created this kind of rubbish litigation/proceedings which are now mainly used by NGOs and jholawalas and let us not go into that.

The action is to be taken by IA or GOI ASAP. They have to take action immediately and prosecute these people who did a hit job.
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

The Union Minister for Defence, Shri Manohar Parrikar taking a close look at the NBC RECCE Vehicle Mk-I, during the handing over ceremony of the DRDO developed products to the Indian Army, in New Delhi on March 02, 2017.
CNR :94076 Photo ID :99461
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

The Union Minister for Defence, Shri Manohar Parrikar being explained about NBC drugs by the DRDO scientists, during the handing over ceremony of the DRDO developed products to the Indian Army, in New Delhi on March 02, 2017. The Chief of Army Staff, General Bipin Rawat and the Chairman DRDO and Secretary, DD (R&D), Dr. S. Christopher are also seen.
CNR :94075 Photo ID :99460
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

AFV PROTECTION AND COUNTER MEASURE SYS FOR ARMOURED FIGHTING VEHICLES
https://indianarmy.nic.in/makeinindia/i ... tion/1.pdf

QR FOR NEW GENERATIONS 30MM AMN FOR BMP- 2/2K
https://indianarmy.nic.in/makeinindia/i ... tion/2.pdf

MULTI TARGET TRACKING SYSTEM FOR TANKS
https://indianarmy.nic.in/makeinindia/i ... tion/3.pdf

1200-1500 HP ENGINE FOR TK T-90 S/SK
https://indianarmy.nic.in/makeinindia/i ... tion/5.pdf
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

ADVANCED PILOTLESS TARGET AIRCRAFT(APTA)
https://indianarmy.nic.in/makeinindia/i ... yN1OXqDg==
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

AUXILIARY POWER UNIT FOR TANK T-90 (APU)
ENVIRONMENT CONTROL UNIT FOR TANK T-90
INDIVIDUAL UNDER WATER BREATHING APPARATUS (IUWBA) FOR T-90 CREWS

https://indianarmy.nic.in/makeinindia/i ... UsqGJb51Ea
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

Handing Over Ceremony of DRDO Developed Products to Indian Army
http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/ind ... doarmy.jsp
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the iraqi army and hashd task forces operating in the daesh heartland west of Mosul seem to have become highly mechanised. rather than expecting costly strykers and BMPs, they are using whatever modes of transport is available - tractors , commercial trucks, pickups, old BMPs, old T62s, discarded hummers ..... pretty cost effective .... imo so long as its reliable and gets you from point A to B, it works and infantry usually dismount to fight villages and strongpoints then ride again.

that way india can easily complete the total mechanization of all its infantry divisions using commercially available products like ford endeavour or toyota fortuner 2.8 diesels as the "technicals" we long needed to mount RCLs, ATGMs, 23x2 cannons, recon optronics, comms posts, Manpads, drone control points and drone jammers ....we lack a vehicle in that weight category as the smallest AL Stallion is too big. nissan jonga production is long over.

I believe both are produced in india. fortuner costs 22-25L and is a real bargain for army role imo along with Endeavour. I think IA got egg all over its face with Huffy , Tuffy, Mahinda axe, Russian Tigr and many more worthies :rotfl:

if some tfta kit required for jarnails then Tata owns land rover and can provide the range rover or lr discovery at friendship prices

need to get rid of the black ambassador mark4 with white curtains for the jarnails. makes them look like IAS officers than fighting elite.

I think we need to get over the fetish for mil-spec NBC protected -50c to +100c kit. 99% of the use cases are pretty normal conditions and commercial sector has long caught up and surpassed the army workshops in quality and detailing. old timers will remember the iphoneish fit and finish of the shaktiman trucks *shudder*
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:the iraqi army and hashd task forces operating in the daesh heartland west of Mosul seem to have become highly mechanised. rather than expecting costly strykers and BMPs, they are using whatever modes of transport is available - tractors , commercial trucks, pickups, old BMPs, old T62s, discarded hummers ..... pretty cost effective .... imo so long as its reliable and gets you from point A to B, it works and infantry usually dismount to fight villages and strongpoints then ride again.
We need a separate thread for "My vision for the future Indian Army"

One step better than chacha Nehru's plan.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

iraqi army was previously configured to fight a conventional tank battle, but is now fighting a coin against a foe that is half guerrilla half regular - therefore choice of vehicles, etc. are more flexible

all these vehicles wouldn't last 5 mins in a pitched battle against the turks or iranians i suspect
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the age of ponderous ww3 style 1000 tank vs 1000 tank battle with squadrons of tactical air and helis roaring overhead is over...great for 5 mins until the tactical nuke missiles fly in.

the age of invulnerable tank is also over as kornets have proven in depth now...forget IFVs being resistant.

even if we wanted to and got all that kit into position on margins of tibet or TSP there is not enough room - we do not fight in iraq or the sahara with wide open spaces or have a 6 month building like desert storm before starting the war at a time of our choosing.

future is small , agile, survivable, cheap COTS , well networked jackals who inflict pain and then disappear rather the mil-spec Kaiju - would be taken out from miles away. small in size, big on teeth and courage.

a huge khan std stork killed by one little jackal

think toyota fortuners armed with 6 Nags/Kornets , or ford ecosports armed with drone jammers or M&M scorpio with RCLs....1000s of them ... 100s with each division
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

I would love to see these "small , agile, survivable, cheap COTS , well networked jackals" go up against Tier 1 army anywhere in the world and try win battles and the war itself. Only if real world scenario offered such romantic notions of war-fighting. Sure, they'll blow-up a few tanks here, ambush soldiers there but that is not what wars are about. They're about winning battles and ensuring this leads to winning the war itself.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

yes the point being - what is the appropriate force for fighting the enemy at hand?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rohitvats wrote:I would love to see these "small , agile, survivable, cheap COTS , well networked jackals" go up against Tier 1 army anywhere in the world and try win battles and the war itself. Only if real world scenario offered such romantic notions of war-fighting. Sure, they'll blow-up a few tanks here, ambush soldiers there but that is not what wars are about. They're about winning battles and ensuring this leads to winning the war itself.
I think the Iraq battles were such "low key" battles without much real heavy firepower, and mainly small to medium caliber weapons other than that completely idiotic jugaad like gas cylinders being fired, that a hajaar hangers on could post videos romanticizing the action. When the heavies come in they will blow these guys to bits. There is no space for hangers on taking videos when an area is really pulverized. Note no romantic videos even from people we support like the Baloch which serious Paki firepower is crushing mercilessly. Only dead Baloch bodies on Twitter.

If one keeps one's eyes and mind open in other threads - one will recall that the HF 24 suffered heavily from vibration damage from piddly 30 mm guns. Even the LCA is not there yet. If you mount heavy caliber weaponry in pick up trucks it may look all romantic with Abba's "Fernando- There was something in the air that niiiight" ringing in one's ears. But the damn thing will come off at one stage, And in Iraq and Syria no one keeps statistics of who lived and who died. I would hope the Indian army cares enough for its men not to go down what I think is an ill thought out idea - especially when you combine jugaad nonsense for the jawans and Land Rover for officer to look more TFTA than Ambassador. No. This is the mildest language I can use about this issue. I will stop here. Unless...
Last edited by shiv on 10 Mar 2017 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

One of the reasons why we don't get to see too many jihadi sourced videos of Indian armed forces killing jihadis is because those jihadis are overwhelmed with firepower. Whatever they bring - the IA has more. No equal equal "you do jugaad I do jugaad"

The Indian army starts at 5.56 mm - moves up the caliber and explosive levels all the way passing via 12.5 mm guns that will rip trucks to shreds to mortar and artillery and the air force to back that up with some really big explosives. Backed up by logistics.
Last edited by shiv on 10 Mar 2017 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Lalmohan wrote:yes the point being - what is the appropriate force for fighting the enemy at hand?
Question is, what kind of the enemy? And what is the scale of threat coming from it? Does it warrant that I change the whole organizational structure of the army? Or, part of it to meet specific threat?

Rashtriya Rifles is example of successful modification to meet a specific threat. In the absence of larger mechanization possibility, IA uses TATRA 6 x 6 vehicles to provide organic mobility to infantry in many formations. We've Reconnaissance & Support (R&S) battalions either equipped with BMP-2 or with 4 x 4 Jeeps (with mounted ATGM) for specific tasks. I think most of them are also equipped with Battlefield Surveillance Radars-Medium Range. Some sectors also have infantry battalions in what can be termed as motorized role - something similar to 'Toyota' riding Syrians, Iraqis and Daesh in ME.

You don't have one model fits all. Our adversaries are regular armies - they're experimenting within to come-up with more modern and agile systems to maximize their potential. In case of US Army, they have evolved Brigade Combat Teams (BCT) of various configurations where BCT is the center around which everything evolves. These BCT are like Lego building blogs which are put together as per requirement. Unlike earlier times, when Divisions were the main maneuver arm and building blocks, it is the BCT which is the main pivot.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:
a huge khan std stork killed by one little jackal

think toyota fortuners armed with 6 Nags/Kornets , or ford ecosports armed with drone jammers or M&M scorpio with RCLs....1000s of them ... 100s with each division
Sorry this is pure rhetoric.

One video of a jackal killing a stork has nothing to do with the sort of war that organized armies fight. And again no mention of terrain. Slushy Punjab famland, mountain roads. Ditch cum bund defences. Not highways and urban areas

We already have jeeps with RCL and Mahindra/Tata vehicles that can take ATGMs but I thought they were not "TFTA" enough for you because they have names that sound idiotic to the English reader like Huffy and Tuffy.

Put a BMP and a pick up truck face to face in Aksai Chin and decide which one you would rather sit inside.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Afaik huffy and tuffy were doa and never pursued. That despite your comment tells us how tfta they were!

Then there was some a abortive bakeoff trial between 3 or 4 vehicles. I only remember two the mahindra axe and russian tigr

So here we are without a hummer or stryker size wheeled vehicle

In the absense of that i am going downmarket and asking for sdre solutions to sdre problems...even the old 3 wheeled badal or a amby pickup model can be fairly dangerous and cheap to repair with good weapons

We are putting 100% resources on 2% chance of a conventional war. Our bsf could use technicals drones etc that even daesh has...so could the crpf in central india....war is already upon us at low intensity for the rest 98%....we cannot afford even the cheap bmp2 in large enough nos to mechanize 3 more divs let alone the whole army

We need to prepare well to fight at all levels. We do not have luxury of choosing our fights
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

and who will maintain these 1000's of these M&M's ..train these 1000's in firing ATGM's ..and coordinate the movement of these 1000's of M&M's etc etc!! the PA, IA are not rag tag armies... they know whats coming their way... atleast IA is geared towards offense and to hold territory .. a well directed armoured thrust backed up air will not be easy to be defeated with a rag tag army... though i think the desert spl forces do use things desired by you..but not in the numbers u desire !
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Village mechanics...unemployed youth
.who do you think are mechanics in roadside car workshops ...

The army trains lakhs of ppl they are not a problem. We anyway need more mmg lmg hmg and atgm down to platoon level
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

oh yes village mechanics will do the job in the middle of desert with bullets flying !! bahut badiya ..." Ram Singh puncture and motor repair shop.."
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:Afaik huffy and tuffy were doa and never pursued. That despite your comment tells us how tfta they were!
Which only goes to show that this statement of yours was merely rhetoric to try and support what I believe is a very bad idea.
Singha wrote: I think IA got egg all over its face with Huffy , Tuffy, Mahinda axe, Russian Tigr and many more worthies :rotfl:
If IA had inducted them yes. But you say they did not then what's this about egg on face? Other than an empty shot trying to make low tech welding shop jugaad look like a war machine
Singha wrote:Village mechanics...unemployed youth
.who do you think are mechanics in roadside car workshops ...
In my opinion this is what comes of watching too many amateur videos of a low grade urban war in flat terrain and trying to copy paste the romance of that onto the wide variety of conflicts that the Indian armed forces (it toto, as a group, not just army) prepare for.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote: We are putting 100% resources on 2% chance of a conventional war.
You have got it completely back to front. It is because we are prepared to kick ass in that conventional war that 98% of Paki methods have failed and they are now left with the same 2% which is going on between ragtag ISIL and badly bashed up Iraq and rippedass Syria. The minute Russia came in with heavy stuff they ragtags were wiped clean Sadly the Paki army are also doing the same thing to ragtags of Baluchistan. Only no romantic videos of "rebels" in pickup trucks winning.

You now claim that all wars will be like this and a Nehru-Khangress can be done with armed forces.
Last edited by shiv on 10 Mar 2017 21:03, edited 2 times in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

manjgu wrote:oh yes village mechanics will do the job in the middle of desert with bullets flying !! bahut badiya ..." Ram Singh puncture puncher and motor repair shop.."
..there. Corrected
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Every video I saw of the Levant war showed armed men with little discipline shooting into the distance being filmed by someone with a camera hiding behind something. And a few IED and ATGM videos where they were successful. A few jugaad drone shots. And hordes of Allahuakbar types waving Kalashnikovs in jugaaded pickup trucks with big weapons that look very mobile and romantic like a wealthy cowboy's dream scene. No None were what a disciplined army looks like and all would be wiped clean like snot from baby's nose with a properly equipped disciplined armed force.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

"ram singh puncher aur motor repair shop"..yehan pe tasalee baksh kaam hota hai !! denting panting
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

Singha-ji, actually I agree with the basic premise of your argument -- sdre solutions to sdre problems; I disagree that more fossil-fueled vehicles are the solution. In a full-blown shooting war you have limited POL reserves, tankers and road-space... first priority will be the armour and re-armament trucks, and we can't have these jackals clogging up the roads/rails networks and eating up the reserves.

If you are going downmarket, go real downmarket and maintain self-sufficiency in Indian context: mountain bicycles/tricycles for inner-line movement, wheeled+shielded MMGs and HMGs and AGLs that can be man-handled by 2-3 soldiers for maneuver-support AND towed longer-distances by a Gypsy, 12- or 8-ga shotguns for anti-mini-drone defense, caltrops for anti-VBIED, ad hoc radio nets and field-line phones, etc.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

^^That is Vietnam in a paragraph. The less romantic side
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Possibly this news doesn't fit there..

Defence Ministry's loss to be Goa's gain? Strong indications that smaller parties will support BJP govt only if Parrikar returns

https://twitter.com/nitingokhale/status ... 5032768512

https://twitter.com/DDNewsLive/status/8 ... 0293401600
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Gen. V.K Singh :D
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

I think he's too honest and lacks tact to be the RM though he's the best available candidate
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Any insights whether Gen. VKS would support indigenous platforms?

It would also be a good move to assign some patriotic former techy like former heads of AEC/ISRO/DRDO or even among former advisors to RM who are more into scientific and less into politics.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Check the unique pattern on the INSAS & the bottle on the pocket of Havaldar Sa'ab

Cheers!
Last edited by Indranil on 13 Mar 2017 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected image link
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

X-post
GShankar wrote:This is the first time I am reading some excitement about Indian military related news in Tamil media. Things are changing..

Added later
Translation - "Duron is patroling the Border", "Indian Military is getting ready for Shock/Surprise".
Source - http://www.dinamalar.com/news_detail.asp?id=1730919